PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs My humble third game thoughts

Sully
09-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Wow.

That was a win. Not luck, not weather. That was a Chiefs win. Feels good. Gonna soak it in for a while. Ahhh.

Now for my thoughts.

I've been bringing up coaching every week, and it still bears true. This coaching staff is doing a GREAT job. Game plans, adjustments, and, yes, the use of our offensive backfield, have been huge plusses. Other than a couple of nit-picky playcalls that I disagreed with, I can't complain at all.

Offense:
The beginning of the game had me worried. A missed block by Albert stopped our first drive, and the quarterback being who he is...well...I keep promising myself that i refuse to discuss the guy. Hardest part of the day was watching with my in-laws, and listening to my MiL talk about what a great throw that flea-flicker was. You see, she thinks Cassell is a really nice guy because he autographed something for her, so therefore, he can't be as bad as I say. And the fact that he hit a wide open player on a gimmick play...well, that cements that he's really good. Ugh.
Back to the game, though, Albert played very well after a rough first quarter, and the rest of the line did well, too. FOX focused on Weigmann in the first half, and it's true, the guy really is a warrior. He's playing with hands and leverage, and beating a guy more often than not that he really shouldn't be.
I have absolutely NO problem with the usage of Charles vs Jones today. Again, you saw Charles make at least two boneheaded moves (not knowing where to be, and not following blockers, leading to a loss on a play...trying to portray LL Cool J's character in Any Given Sunday). He still isn't completely dialed in, for whatever reason. I think playing him in spots gives us the best chance at his big plays, plus the reliability he hasn't shown, yet. Plus, it's not like you can fault Jones' running the ball, in this game or others. he's a quality back. He's not here for the long haul, but for now, he is what we need him to be.

Defense:
For whatever reason, during this preseason I came a de facto T Jackson defender. not really something I want to be, but I kept seeing him playing well. Holding the point of attack, shedding blockers, driving his man into the QB on a few occasions. The fact that he was a terrible pick, i think, forced people into believing that he was therefore a terrible player (and more often than not, last year, he was). But he had a terrific preseason, and most would agree, played very well in game 1 before getting hurt. Watching Smith today, and there is very little dropoff. He plays with more fire than Jackson, but also isn't quite as quick. It's basically a wash with the two guys. This does two things. it solidifies the fact that Jackson was a horrible pick at that spot, since we can pick up a journeyman to do the same job a year later. It also makes Jackson look worse to those who hate the pick. Ultimately, i don't think Smith is any better than jackson, however, the disparity in their costs is going to get the kneejerk reaction that I got for defending Jackson's play this preseason.
Brandon Flowers is definitely, now, one of the top 2 or 3 CBs in the league. I don't think there can be any argument to that.
That said, can DJ be our defensive MVP? He's all over, and I'll say it again. he's playing with more physicality that he ever has in his career. Not only is he playing smarter, but he's finally bringing some force with it. He had a boneheaded missed tackle today, but otherwise, he's just owning it. I really hope he re-signs with KC.

petegz28
09-26-2010, 02:46 PM
I think Romeo is the reason for DJ's improved play. The system suits him bettter and allows him to play as opposed to playing a role, if you get my meaning.

KCBOSS1
09-26-2010, 02:50 PM
GO CASSEL! I've been his biggest critic. I will most gladly be his biggest fan if he keeps playing like he did today.

petegz28
09-26-2010, 02:53 PM
GO CASSEL! I've been his biggest critic. I will most gladly be his biggest fan if he keeps playing like he did today.

Today's performance from Cassel is all I ask of him. Smart football, don't take the sacks, manage the game properly.

DeezNutz
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I have absolutely NO problem with the usage of Charles vs Jones today. Again, you saw Charles make at least two boneheaded moves (not knowing where to be, and not following blockers, leading to a loss on a play...trying to portray LL Cool J's character in Any Given Sunday). He still isn't completely dialed in, for whatever reason. I think playing him in spots gives us the best chance at his big plays, plus the reliability he hasn't shown, yet.

Like the thread and the thoughts. The above, however, is craziness.

KCrockaholic
09-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Today's performance from Cassel is all I ask of him. Smart football, don't take the sacks, manage the game properly.

Yep. Despite a rough 2nd quarter, I think he was fantastic in the 2nd half. He may have built upon the 4th Q against the Browns.

Coogs
09-26-2010, 02:56 PM

Ditto

Ming the Merciless
09-26-2010, 02:58 PM

pretty much this

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Your paragraph re: Jones and Charles is the worst thing I've read all day.

DeezNutz
09-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Your paragraph re: Jones and Charles is the worst thing I've read all day.

It's fantastic that this team is 3-0. Absolutely great. But the lengths that some are going to in order to justify the absurd is, well, absurd.

Hammock Parties
09-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Charles had 11 carries for 96 yards in Week 1, and 11 for 97 today.

Jesus titty-fucking christ.

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 03:07 PM
It's fantastic that this team is 3-0. Absolutely great. But the lengths that some are going to in order to justify the absurd is, well, absurd.
That comparison to the RB character in the movie Any Given Sunday goes beyond the absurd. It feels offensive to me, like there are racial implications in there. I know there aren't, but my mind goes "Why else would any one see a very talented RB MAYBE hit an incorrect hole and automatically make the jump to thinking he's a greedy, me-first malcontent?"

grandllama
09-26-2010, 03:08 PM

Last graphic I saw said he had a 111.7 today. I think that is the most we can hope for, and be extremely happy for that.

Servicable Matt Cassel is Servicable.

Red Brooklyn
09-26-2010, 03:11 PM

Exactly. Nice post.

Hammock Parties
09-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Cassel was basically Trent Green today. That's not getting our money's worth, but if we field a defense and run the fuck out of the ball while he does what he did today, we might just back into a Lombardi.

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Cassel was basically Trent Green today. That's not getting our money's worth, but if we field a defense and run the fuck out of the ball while he does what he did today, we might just back into a Lombardi.
http://www.ihasafunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ihasafunny-calm-down.jpg

ChiefGator
09-26-2010, 03:20 PM
Cassel was basically Trent Green today. That's not getting our money's worth, but if we field a defense and run the **** out of the ball while he does what he did today, we might just back into a Lombardi.

Uhh.. cept Green could hit a WR without a huge gimmick play.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Reaper. Deez.

How many touches would you like to see Charles get this year? Seriously post a number and at the end of the season we can revisit the issue. But until then, y'all can fuck off with this annoying garbage.

Hammock Parties
09-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Cassel did OK today guys. That first pass to Bowe was well thrown. He put in the ball in catchable spots. As long as he lets guys like Moeaki and McCluster go make plays, we'll be OK.

Green got a fuck ton of yards on screen passes, too.

I was actually very impressed with that 15-yard throw he made to McCluster, right as he was getting hit. He put the ball in a decent spot, and he barely even had time to locate Dex. He knew where he was gonna be on the field. That was probably his best play of the year from an "under pressure" standpoint.

FloridaMan88
09-26-2010, 03:24 PM
Cassel was basically Trent Green today. That's not getting our money's worth, but if we field a defense and run the **** out of the ball while he does what he did today, we might just back into a Lombardi.

Not true... Trent was money on the downfield passing/playaction game... that is still very much a work in progress for Cassel.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Hali was a terror today.

FloridaMan88
09-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Shaun Smith > T Jackson

DeezNutz
09-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Reaper. Deez.

How many touches would you like to see Charles get this year? Seriously post a number and at the end of the season we can revisit the issue. But until then, y'all can **** off with this annoying garbage.

20 touches per game. 320 total would be fine.

And I could not care less what you find annoying or not.

Fritz88
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
There's no question about our D. They did a hell of a good job.

With regard to our offense, I think that Todd Haley was all over play calling today. It just seemed quite different than the previous too games.

Trick plays, lots of passing, employing DMC a lot, onside kick...Smells like Haley to me.

I am not complaining. Good win. Cassel was saved today by our D and our play makers.

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Reaper. Deez.

How many touches would you like to see Charles get this year? Seriously post a number and at the end of the season we can revisit the issue. But until then, y'all can fuck off with this annoying garbage.
Me defending Charles against accusations of being a money-first, me-above-the-team, locker room cancer is "annoying garbage?" You can believe those things about Charles if you want to, but I am choosing to call Sully out on that bullshit.

PS - I am fine with 290-310 touches for Jamaal.

Fritz88
09-26-2010, 03:32 PM
http://www.ihasafunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ihasafunny-calm-down.jpg

ROFLROFL

blazzin311
09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Nice take on the game...pretty much spot on as far as I'm concerned. The upside with this team certainly looks nice. That's for sure.

Exactly! I don't think that's too much to ask of the guy either. Whether he's actually of capable of that performance on a semi-consistent basis (at the very least) has yet to be determined. All he really needs to do though is just not suck. If he remains serviceable and doesn't lose the Chiefs games they could turn some heads this year and suprise some folks. They probably already are for that matter.

Well I don't know about you but I don't care how the Chiefs arrive at another Lombardi. I don't care if they back into or go full throttle straigth forward into one. Dammit after enough years of watching KC pro sports kinda suck for the most part it wouldn't matter to me how they got there if they made it that far. If they could manage to win one at some point I wouldn't really care how they won it either. A win's a win. That saying is especially true as far as I'm concerned in the superbowl.

blazzin311
09-26-2010, 03:37 PM
There's no question about our D. They did a hell of a good job.

With regard to our offense, I think that Todd Haley was all over play calling today. It just seemed quite different than the previous too games.

Trick plays, lots of passing, employing DMC a lot, onside kick...Smells like Haley to me.

I am not complaining. Good win. Cassel was saved today by our D and our play makers.

I really noticed that too. It was really all caution to the wind today. At least that's what some of the play calls and coaching decisions today would suggest. On a side note anyone else interested to see how many of the Chiefs plays make the top plays list tonight on sportscenter? I'd be willing to bet the fleaflicker (which really was a thing of beauty) and the catch by Moeaki (who also continues to impress me) are probably on the list. Hell wouldn't suprise me to see either one of them be the top play. That catch by Moeaki though was incredible. He looked like Tony G. out there.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Me defending Charles against accusations of being a money-first, me-above-the-team, locker room cancer is "annoying garbage?" You can believe those things about Charles if you want to, but I am choosing to call Sully out on that bullshit.

That's fair. I'm confusing threads. You're right to defend JC here. Fwiw, even in the other thread, you're not nearly as bad this week. Accepty my apology.

Deez sure is picking up your slack, though. What an intolerable poster he has become.

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 03:44 PM
That's fair. I'm confusing threads. You're right to defend JC here. Fwiw, even in the other thread, you're not nearly as bad this week. Accepty my apology.

Deez sure is picking up your slack, though. What an intolerable poster he has become.
I disagree. I am probably as bad. I say that because not only do I tolerate Deez, I wish there were more of him.

Sully
09-26-2010, 04:00 PM

I checked back to this thread, and I'm amazed.
I guess it's my fault so much was read into my comment about JC, but the comment was specifically about Charles refusing to hit a hole, and instead trying to cut outside for a home run, therefore losing yards rather than "just" gaining 2-4. He does it 1 or 2 times a game, but my comment had absolutely nothing to do with his character or skin color.

Sully
09-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I meant to add this on yesterday...

During the last couple of minutes of the game yesterday, I was pissed. Time outs? That's bullshit. I'm never one to wish for the injury of another player, but at that point and time, I was actively hoping a key player for SF would get hurt, and cost Singletary his job. (I haven't looked, yet...how is Morgan).

Yeah, yeah...I know...you play till the whistle.

But in a game that was long ago decided, what exactly is there to gain by scoring a meaningless TD against the Chiefs second teamers, under an OC who would be fired 24 hours later? It was complete bullshit.

gblowfish
09-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Vegas, baby.
It screwed up the over/under line.

Sully
09-27-2010, 04:06 PM
Singletary should be fired.

He was a "name" guy, and moved through the coaching ranks far too fast due to that.

Buehler445
09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
Vegas, baby.
It screwed up the over/under line.

No shit? Wow.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChiefsCountry
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM

For 63 million dollars and us passing on a way better QB he better have a fucking better performance than what he did yesterday.

LiL stumppy
09-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Cassel still didn't play a whole lot better. All 3 TD'S of his were a product of the other player/play. He still had many bad throws.

aturnis
09-27-2010, 05:52 PM
I think Romeo is the reason for DJ's improved play. The system suits him bettter and allows him to play as opposed to playing a role, if you get my meaning.

I think this is exactly wrong. First of all, I think DJ's play is due to a few things. Biggest factors, I think are the reality check Haley put him through last season. I think the reason Haley did that is probably b/c Johnson did not ever really know his assignments, or his playbook and was never a good candidate to captain the defense, and was always allowed to freelance too much. He is now in a strict system, which he isn't allowed to deviate from much at all. If, he does, both he and the team will fail, if he doesn't, they succeed.

The second big one is Romeo. Romeo has helped coach him up BIG time, and put him in a situation to succeed on this defense. Again, DJ now knows this system. He put his nose to the grindstone, and learned the playbook. The other thing they did to improve his understanding of the offense, at least in my opinion, was making an open competition in training camp. Not just a normal competition though. I believe the reason they paired him up with Belcher, was that they wanted them both to be starters this year, and after last season, DJ KNEW, nothing was guaranteed. In order for DJ to start, he would have to help bring Belcher along big time. B/c if Belcher didn't start, DJ didn't start, plain and simple. DJ had to help him with technique, the playbook and everything. One of the best ways to learn something, or to truly understand it, is to teach it. So DJ helping Belcher, was probably VERY beneficial to DJ.

Third, the play of the D-line. They've been out of their league good, and have helped free up the LBer's to make plays. To say it's b/c he's being allowed to freelance and make plays is asinine. Freelancing is all he did up until this point of his career.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Singletary should be fired.

He was a "name" guy, and moved through the coaching ranks far too fast due to that.

Im not entirely sure hes going to be a successful HC. He seems to think its still 1985 on offense.

Deberg_1990
09-27-2010, 06:19 PM
I think this is exactly wrong. First of all, I think DJ's play is due to a few things. Biggest factors, I think are the reality check Haley put him through last season. I think the reason Haley did that is probably b/c Johnson did not ever really know his assignments, or his playbook and was never a good candidate to captain the defense, and was always allowed to freelance too much. He is now in a strict system, which he isn't allowed to deviate from much at all. If, he does, both he and the team will fail, if he doesn't, they succeed.

The second big one is Romeo. Romeo has helped coach him up BIG time, and put him in a situation to succeed on this defense. Again, DJ now knows this system. He put his nose to the grindstone, and learned the playbook. The other thing they did to improve his understanding of the offense, at least in my opinion, was making an open competition in training camp. Not just a normal competition though. I believe the reason they paired him up with Belcher, was that they wanted them both to be starters this year, and after last season, DJ KNEW, nothing was guaranteed. In order for DJ to start, he would have to help bring Belcher along big time. B/c if Belcher didn't start, DJ didn't start, plain and simple. DJ had to help him with technique, the playbook and everything. One of the best ways to learn something, or to truly understand it, is to teach it. So DJ helping Belcher, was probably VERY beneficial to DJ.

Third, the play of the D-line. They've been out of their league good, and have helped free up the LBer's to make plays. To say it's b/c he's being allowed to freelance and make plays is asinine. Freelancing is all he did up until this point of his career.

you left out the biggest reason: Contract Year

jjchieffan
09-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Im not entirely sure hes going to be a successful HC. He seems to think its still 1985 on offense.

I think he is trying to be Marty Schottenheimer. His staff is full of former Marty assistants. Not that emulating Marty is bad. He was an awesome regular season coach. If a person could manage to have Marty like success in the regular season without turning into Henry Winkler in the Waterboy in the playoffs, they could be very successful.

aturnis
09-27-2010, 06:27 PM
you left out the biggest reason: Contract Year

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck...knew I forgot something. He'll either get paid, or we'll get something for him. Don't think we'll let him walk.

jjchieffan
09-27-2010, 06:28 PM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/56Ue0SOTwpA?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/56Ue0SOTwpA?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>