PDA

View Full Version : Life does this seem weird to you ...monitoring before treatment?

Gracie Dean
09-26-2010, 07:34 PM
Chronic leukemia is distinguished by the excessive build up of relatively mature, but still abnormal, white blood cells. Typically taking months or years to progress, the cells are produced at a much higher rate than normal cells, resulting in many abnormal white blood cells in the blood. Whereas acute leukemia must be treated immediately, chronic forms are sometimes monitored for some time before treatment to ensure maximum effectiveness of therapy. Chronic leukemia mostly occurs in older people, but can theoretically occur in any age group.

DaFace
09-26-2010, 07:38 PM
It seems weird to you that they would want to get as much information as possible before beginning treatment?

Gracie Dean
09-26-2010, 07:40 PM
I watched my dad die in exactly 3 months from date of diagnosis to the last breath.

I am a person of action. Lets kick this things ass

Gracie Dean
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
I am now taking prednisone to reduce the inflammation and to continue the pain meds as needed Ambian as needed too

Chief Pote
09-27-2010, 06:29 PM
I have a relative that if they would have had more information, he wouldn't have needed to go through TWO rounds of chemo. Your doctor's course of action seems to be a better plan. Stay strong Pam.

Pablo
09-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I take it you don't teach science of any sort.

Donger
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
You'd prefer the Eeny, meeny, miny, moe approach to medicine?

Gracie Dean
09-27-2010, 06:32 PM
I take it you don't teach science of any sort.

why no I don't :)

Gracie Dean
09-27-2010, 06:33 PM
You'd prefer the Eeny, meeny, miny, moe approach to medicine?

I just want it fixed so I can have a life!

bevischief
09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
How long does the doctor want to wait?

Donger
09-27-2010, 06:35 PM
I just want it fixed so I can have a life!

It really comes down to whether or not you trust your doctor. Personally, I think the vast majority of them are incompetent.

I hope your's is not.

Gracie Dean
09-27-2010, 06:36 PM
It really comes down to whether or not you trust your doctor. Personally, I think the vast majority of them are incompetent.

I hope your's is not.

I fully trust my gen phys and my GI doc. Not too sure about this no (0) doc yet

Pablo
09-27-2010, 06:37 PM

I hope your's is not.I hear ya brah, I thought I was having a stroke so I threw some Ben-Gay on my forehead. I don't need no fucking doctor.

Donger
09-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I fully trust my gen phys and my GI doc. Not too sure about this no (0) doc yet

What kind of doctor? Oncologist?

Gracie Dean
09-27-2010, 06:49 PM
What kind of doctor? Oncologist?

yes

Chief Pote
09-28-2010, 04:12 AM
I hear ya brah, I thought I was having a stroke so I threw some Ben-Gay on my forehead. I don't need no ****ing doctor.

Wrong thread for comedy. STFU

hawkchief
09-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Pam, my father was recently diagnosed with Acute Leukemia, a much faster-moving form than it sounds like you are fighting. FWIW, his doctor also asked him to wait a little longer to try chemo (although at 75 years old a very high-risk option that could actually accelerate his death) until they looked more closely at the platelet count progression. So it doesn't sound too far "out there" for this to be a way to proceed. Best of luck to you - leukemia sucks.

Gracie Dean
09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Pam, my father was recently diagnosed with Acute Leukemia, a much faster-moving form than it sounds like you are fighting. FWIW, his doctor also asked him to wait a little longer to try chemo (although at 75 years old a very high-risk option that could actually accelerate his death) until they looked more closely at the platelet count progression. So it doesn't sound too far "out there" for this to be a way to proceed. Best of luck to you - leukemia sucks.

Wow, that makes me feel better! Thank you!!!

It is definitely a different beast...nothing to cut out or zap so to speak... it is also very frustrating