PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Revisiting "JC needs more carries"

DaFace
09-26-2010, 08:17 PM
After watching today's game, I've decided that I am 100% behind the balance the Chiefs are running between JC and TJ. While Charles consistently has a higher YPC than Jones, I think that would fall dramatically if the ratio were changed. Jones does a great job of consistently gaining a few yards every carry, then we can bring in fresh legs in Charles to try and occasionally break off a long run.

That said, I wasn't really all that against the ratio before. Did today's game change any of you "JC needs more carries" proponents' opinions, or do you still think that he should be getting more?

RJ
09-26-2010, 08:19 PM
JC needs more carries.

-King-
09-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Apparently not http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=234211

keg in kc
09-26-2010, 08:21 PM
I think Charles should have a few more touches, about 20/game would be the 'perfect world' number to me, but at the same time I wouldn't have changed anything about today's game. That was about as good as it gets as far as substitution and playcalling.

Marcellus
09-26-2010, 08:23 PM
I WANT to see JC every down, but I realize you can't do that for 16 games. It is working.

Both had close to 100 yards against a defense that was supposed to stop the run game.

Hard to argue against results though some will try.

The bottom line is Chiefs fans, me included want a heavy hitter. #1 runner in the NFL. Prestige that comes with a big time player. Big talk, big time. Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson. FF type guys.

It seems the coaching staff is worrying more about team.

LaChapelle
09-26-2010, 08:25 PM
More Jackie Battle

Pioli Zombie
09-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Of all the things that can be a problem for a football team the Chiefs running has got to be last on the list. What they are doing is working perfectly. What is the effen problem?????

Rain Man
09-26-2010, 08:29 PM
I think he needs to have 50 percent or more until someone keeps him below 7 yards per carry.

Buehler445
09-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Charles needs more, but today was much MUCH better.
Posted via Mobile Device

philfree
09-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Charles had 15 touchs counting his three receptions for 154 total yards. That's five less touches then Jones. To me it's working but I'm sure there will be a game where the big plays are there and they'll feed Charles the rock . We're ony three games in so perhaps as the season unfolds the touches balance out to even.

PhilFree:arrow:

Rain Man
09-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Charles did get the start, incidentally. I thought that was interesting.

I also noticed that he may have been in for half the plays, but he was often running routes on passing downs and not getting it thrown his way. He may have had half the snaps.

Shogun
09-26-2010, 08:36 PM
More Jackie Battle

word

luv
09-26-2010, 08:47 PM
Today made me change my mind. Not sure what is was about it. TJ is definitely the power back to run up the gut, and JC is better at running the outside or eluding tackles. I liked the ratio today. It worked.

chief52
09-26-2010, 08:51 PM
It is a long season. Haley is making personel decisions based on the season, not the individual game. Everyone has to be a part of that in order for the Chiefs to be winners...

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 09:27 PM
This game just confirms to me how Charles needs more touches.

BWillie
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
While giving more carriers to Jamaal will lower his effectiveness somewhat, he is still the better option. Jamaal should go series 1, 2, Jones series 3, Jamaal series 4,5, Jones series 6 and so on. After watching this game I'm actually even more convinced. I'm not going to complain too much because we are winning, but you can't become complacent just because you've beaten a few teams. You always try to get better an go w/ the better option. That is what you do w/ young running backs. You run them to hell for four years, and then you get rid of them.

</post>
09-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Is there an ****Official Season-Long Jamaal Charles Needs More Carries Thread****? Someone should get on that...

Sully
09-26-2010, 09:34 PM
I agree completely.

Hootie
09-26-2010, 10:23 PM
I thought today was better than the first two weeks...

but here is my main gripe:

Thomas Jones is GREAT at setting us up in 3rd and manageable...3rd and 3...3rd and 4...

but we can't pick those up...we're TERRIBLE in 3rd and short...

so...

what's the point?

KChiefs1
09-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Jack Harry is still upset about it so that says something.

beer bacon
09-26-2010, 10:34 PM
We have the best rushing offense in the league right now. What we are doing is working.

Calitozoni
09-26-2010, 10:52 PM
Charles did get the start, incidentally. I thought that was interesting.

I also noticed that he may have been in for half the plays, but he was often running routes on passing downs and not getting it thrown his way. He may have had half the snaps.

I noticed it too. I thought his presence helped the passing game. Opposing defenses are afraid of JC.

wazu
09-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Nothing has changed. Jamaal Charles needs to be given the ball no less than 20 times per game. Think about it this way - going into Indianapolis in two weeks, and you are the head coach picking from two gameplans:

Gameplan 1: Jamaal Charles gets the ball 20-25 times
Gameplan 2: Thomas Jones ges the ball 20-25 times

Which one do you really believe gives the Chiefs a fighting chance?

Hootie
09-26-2010, 11:01 PM
Nothing has changed. Jamaal Charles needs to be given the ball no less than 20 times per game. Think about it this way - going into Indianapolis in two weeks, and you are the head coach picking from two gameplans:

Gameplan 1: Jamaal Charles gets the ball 20-25 times
Gameplan 2: Thomas Jones ges the ball 20-25 times

Which one do you really believe gives the Chiefs a fighting chance?

to be honest?

neither

ROFL

the Colts are too good

Lbedrock1
09-26-2010, 11:01 PM
That said, I wasn't really all that against the ratio before. Did today's game change any of you "JC needs more carries" proponents' opinions, or do you still think that he should be getting more?

I will put it like this, we have 2 starting backs that could start on almost any other team, JC came in last year when we didnt have another back and proved that he could be a starter in this league. No other back was better during that 9 game stretch. Because of that he should have kept the starting job unless TJ earned it with his play in the regular season. So because of JC production he should be getting the bulk of the carries with TJ spelling him not the other way around. I would like to think that a guy like JC can prove himself through hard work and be rewarded for it.

Jim Jones
09-26-2010, 11:10 PM
The more touches Jamaal Charles gets, the better we are as a team. Simple as that, really. Jones is a good back and has a role on this team, but Charles needs 15-20 touches a game. Period.

Hootie
09-26-2010, 11:12 PM
and Jamal got those touches today ;)

I thought the balance was totally, 100% awesome today...first time this year...

and damn...we should be feeling GOOOD right now

Dave Lane
09-26-2010, 11:23 PM
You know you people are the same people that couldn't understand why Gil Meche got taken out in the 9th inning and had the bullpen blow the lead. He only threw 136 pitches he could of finished.

philfree
09-26-2010, 11:31 PM
There's a series in the 2nd qtr where on 1st down JC gets good yards and then on 2nd and 3 or so he has a negative play and loses a yard. On third down he lines up in the wrong spot and we have to burn a TO. I think sequences like that play a role in why Jones is getting more carries.

Oh Snap
09-26-2010, 11:34 PM
right now, after todays game, the chiefs have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL. We're averaging 161 yards per game on the ground.

Ill admit, at first, I was wondering what the hell was wrong with them not getting the ball to charles..but if they keep up performances like today, im cool wit it.

Hammock Parties
09-26-2010, 11:41 PM
That's bullshit, mang

We should be #0 or #-1.

wazu
09-26-2010, 11:44 PM
right now, after todays game, the chiefs have the #1 rushing offense in the NFL. We're averaging 161 yards per game on the ground.

Ill admit, at first, I was wondering what the hell was wrong with them not getting the ball to charles..but if they keep up performances like today, im cool wit it.

I'm just skeptical that they can. I love that we are doing well, but the first two games were pretty damned dependent on D and Special Teams. The third game we got to face a really bad coaching staff. I'll take it, but the Colts and the Texans are going to require everything we've got just to be competitive. Jamaal Charles is our game changer. He's as good as any back in the league. TJ is pedestrian by comparison.

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 11:50 PM
and Jamal got those touches today ;)

I thought the balance was totally, 100% awesome today...first time this year...

and damn...we should be feeling GOOOD right now
Charles didn't get those touches today. He didn't even get 15 touches. He should get 15 at the barest of minimums.

Since you're cool with not wondering, how does the current split of carries equate to the Chiefs being the #1 rushing team? Would not the Chiefs be an even better rushing team than they are now if Charles got the ball more?

Oh Snap
09-26-2010, 11:51 PM
I'm just skeptical that they can. I love that we are doing well, but the first two games were pretty damned dependent on D and Special Teams. The third game we got to face a really bad coaching staff. I'll take it, but the Colts and the Texans are going to require everything we've got just to be competitive. Jamaal Charles is our game changer. He's as good as any back in the league. TJ is pedestrian by comparison.

I agree, I would still like to see JC get the bulk of the carries. But with results like these, you cant exactly complain. 161 yards on the ground is tops in the NFL. We have the best rush offense out of 32 other teams!

The real worry imo is Cassel. The OL needs to also get better at pass blocking. Right now, theyre steam rolling teams in running the ball. We need to improve our pass protection though. And Cassel really has not excuse. He has the leagues best rushing attack to fall back on.

wazu
09-26-2010, 11:52 PM
I agree, I would still like to see JC get the bulk of the carries. But with results like these, you cant exactly complain. 161 yards on the ground is tops in the NFL. We have the best rush offense out of 32 other teams!

The real worry imo is Cassel. The OL needs to also get better at pass blocking. Right now, theyre steam rolling teams in running the ball. We need to improve our pass protection though. And Cassel really has not excuse. He has the leagues best rushing attack to fall back on.

Agree with everything here.

philfree
09-26-2010, 11:53 PM
Charles didn't get those touches today. He didn't even get 15 touches. He should get 15 at the barest of minimums.

Since you're cool with not wondering, how does the current split of carries equate to the Chiefs being the #1 rushing team? Would not the Chiefs be an even better rushing team than they are now if Charles got the ball more?

He had 15 counting his receptions which were pretty big plays.

Oh Snap
09-26-2010, 11:54 PM

I dunno man...Charles tore it up big time when he was our go to man. Like I already said, I would like to see him more in a starting role, while TJ is more of a backup. Both bring a dynamic running style to the game...and it has been successful. This sport is a team sport, and I cant exactly complain about the results thus far.

I think TJ will help keep JC healthy if nothing else. And if we are to make a playoff run late in the season, we are going to need a healthy JC.

Reaper16
09-26-2010, 11:57 PM
He had 15 counting his receptions which were pretty big plays.

My bad. I thought he had 14 touches. Thanks for correcting me.

clyde05
09-27-2010, 12:53 AM
97 yards for jc and 95 for jones against san fran ill take that anyday because its going to keep them both fresh down the road when we need them. No complaining here but i do understand the people that want to see jc more. but hey were 3-0 so why mess with it now

Contrarian
09-27-2010, 01:05 AM
I thought today was better than the first two weeks...

but here is my main gripe:

Thomas Jones is GREAT at setting us up in 3rd and manageable...3rd and 3...3rd and 4...

but we can't pick those up...we're TERRIBLE in 3rd and short...

so...

what's the point?

Correct!
That is why they should put in Battle in short yardage

Hootie
09-27-2010, 01:13 AM
uh no?

we always do the dumbass shotgun on 3rd and 4 and it always results in a 4th and 4

CrazyPhuD
09-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Now more than ever JC needs mor carries!

Thig Lyfe
09-18-2011, 04:50 PM
JC needs more RNR. :(

BillSelfsTrophycase
09-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Jammal Charles needs more ACLs

:huh:

MahiMike
09-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Jamaal needs more knees.

BigMeatballDave
09-18-2011, 06:27 PM