PDA

View Full Version : Royals Its a Shame (Royals)

synthesis2
09-28-2010, 09:01 PM
I know none of us care anymore about the Royals, especially with the Chiefs at 3-0 but this has bothered me for a while so I thought I would put it out there. I go to 10-15 Royals games a year and around half of the Chiefs game, love and support both best i can.

What gets me about the Royals is that Kansas City supports teams much better than half of the cities that have MLB, but we HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING to root for. I mean we have been so bad for so long that its almost an enigma that we haven't have one year that we have won our division in the last 15 plus years.

Here is the real beef, look at teams like Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Florida Marlines, Oakland A's, Toronto Blue jays, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, San Diego etc. All teams that we would support so much better if we just had something. I mean besides Pittsburg, we have absolutely been the bottom feeder in MLB. I mean imagine if we had Tampa's Team here, it would be crazy, we would sell twice the tickets that Tampa does.

ahhhh, anyway just thoughts...

Shogun
09-28-2010, 09:03 PM
The next few years seems promising.

But I said that 3 years ago.

Chiefs Rool
09-28-2010, 09:06 PM
some of our players will someday be great Yankees or Red Sox.

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I care about the Royals. I follow the entire system on a daily basis.

I agree with you wrt crowd sizes. If the Rays team were in KC instead of Tampa Bay then the crowds would be hella' big.

Sure-Oz
09-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I stopped following the royals since the football season started. I did go to the game last night and watched a badass 10-8 win, and went in the HOF and watched the video of the royals history. Gave me chills, i really would love to see a winner in my adult life. They were killing tonight too, Kila torching it with 2 HR's and 4 rbis as of an hour ago

KC would support a solid Royals team that was winning like the twins

Mosbonian
09-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Until the Glass family starts running the team like they care, KC will be nothing more than a Minor League team being a doormat for the AL and the laughingstock of MLB

Sure-Oz
09-28-2010, 09:16 PM
Until the Glass family starts running the team like they care, KC will be nothing more than a Minor League team being a doormat for the AL and the laughingstock of MLB

They have made improvements, and have given DM control...the minors are tops in baseball, things are way better than they have been the past 20 years. It takes time to make up for all that damage. That said, it needs to start in 2011

Gonzo
09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
I really thought they'd be close to .500 this year, (especially when they fired Hillman).
Very disappointing year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
09-28-2010, 09:17 PM
Could you imagine the Outfield we would have if we didn't trade Jose Batista to the Blue Jays? That is 50 home runs there, Beltran in Center, and Manny Rameriez in right field in his prime

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
With the money that Glass has put into the minors, one could argue that he does care. At least a little bit. He trusts his GM and his GM has created the best farm system in all of baseball. That GM still appears to be in over his head with his responsibilities at the major league level, but that's a different matter.

The Royals should be contending for the division in 2013 and contending for the World Series in the years afterward.

Jerm
09-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I know none of us care anymore about the Royals, especially with the Chiefs at 3-0 but this has bothered me for a while so I thought I would put it out there. I go to 10-15 Royals games a year and around half of the Chiefs game, love and support both best i can.

What gets me about the Royals is that Kansas City supports teams much better than half of the cities that have MLB, but we HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING to root for. I mean we have been so bad for so long that its almost an enigma that we haven't have one year that we have won our division in the last 15 plus years.

Here is the real beef, look at teams like Tampa Bay Devil Rays, Florida Marlines, Oakland A's, Toronto Blue jays, Detroit, Cleveland, Milwaukee, San Diego etc. All teams that we would support so much better if we just had something. I mean besides Pittsburg, we have absolutely been the bottom feeder in MLB. I mean imagine if we had Tampa's Team here, it would be crazy, we would sell twice the tickets that Tampa does.

ahhhh, anyway just thoughts...

I know what you're saying...as a Braves fan, it kills me to see hardly anyone show up at their home games, esp. right in the middle of a playoff race.

I would kill to be able to go to Braves games so when I see those that are capable not supporting the team it drives me nuts.

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Two-part solution to silencing all skeptics:

1. Several of these promising prospects need to develop into legit players at the ML level. Stars? Dare we dream?
2. These players, or the majority of them, must be re-signed. Will we take MN's lead and substantially increase payroll as needed?

Gonzo
09-28-2010, 09:23 PM
With the money that Glass has put into the minors, one could argue that he does care. At least a little bit. He trusts his GM and his GM has created the best farm system in all of baseball. That GM still appears to be in over his head with his responsibilities at the major league level, but that's a different matter.

The Royals should be contending for the division in 2013 and contending for the World Series in the years afterward.
LMAO

Oh wait, you were serious?
Posted via Mobile Device

Bearcat
09-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I stopped following the royals since the football season started. I did go to the game last night and watched a badass 10-8 win, and went in the HOF and watched the video of the royals history. Gave me chills, i really would love to see a winner in my adult life. They were killing tonight too, Kila torching it with 2 HR's and 4 rbis as of an hour ago

KC would support a solid Royals team that was winning like the twins

...then in 1985, the Royals won the World Series!!!!

Then nothing happened.

Oh, George Brett got 3000 hits and went to the Hall of Fame, so that was cool.

(seriously, I've seen the video)

Sure-Oz
09-28-2010, 09:26 PM
...then in 1985, the Royals won the World Series!!!!

Then nothing happened.

Oh, George Brett got 3000 hits and went to the Hall of Fame, so that was cool.

(seriously, I've seen the video)

LOL basically....the history part was cool, and you're right a HUGE gap after Georges 3000 hits....this team needs to come back. I was telling my girl how the Yankees vs Royals was a big thing in the late 70's and 80's, now it doesn't mean shit

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 09:27 PM
LMAO

Oh wait, you were serious?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes. I am serious. If you don't think I am serious then you haven't been paying a lick of attention to the Royals farm system. It is universally considered the best in baseball. There should be 5 Royals in the Baseball America top 50 prospects next time it comes out, with plenty of strong depth after that. The Royals' seventh best prospect is better than some teams' number one best prospect.

Gonzo
09-28-2010, 09:35 PM
Yes. I am serious. If you don't think I am serious then you haven't been paying a lick of attention to the Royals farm system. It is universally considered the best in baseball. There should be 5 Royals in the Baseball America top 50 prospects next time it comes out, with plenty of strong depth after that. The Royals' seventh best prospect is better than some teams' number one best prospect.

Dude, I totally believe you. I have no doubt that we probably have the best prospects in all of baseball. The problem here is, (as you know) putting it together all at once and winning so they generate enough revenue to keep these guys. It's the same old story. We have good players that trickle in a few at a time and tear it up but by the time we call up enough to win, the existing ones are already traded away.

I truly hope that you're right and they put it together quickly enough to do something. Unfortunately, history usually repeats itself with this club all too often.
Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 09:37 PM
Dude, I totally believe you. I have no doubt that we probably have the best prospects in all of baseball. The problem here is, (as you know) putting it together all at once and winning so they generate enough revenue to keep these guys. It's the same old story. We have good players that trickle in a few at a time and tear it up but by the time we call up enough to win, the existing ones are already traded away.

I truly hope that you're right and they put it together quickly enough to do something. Unfortunately, history usually repeats itself with this club all too often.
Posted via Mobile Device

The continued handling of Greinke will be the first major hurdle here. I'm not against trading anyone, but you better get the fucking motherload for a front-line pitcher of his caliber.

9/10, this is the player you keep at all costs.

tk13
09-28-2010, 09:39 PM
We are USA baseball.

http://web.usabaseball.com/images/2010/09/28/Tn9LNS6b.jpg

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 09:39 PM

Posted via Mobile Device
Well, this is a bit of uncharted territory. KC has never had this amount of talent in their system at one time. We actually have, get this, too many top-shelf pitching prospects. Some will have to become crackerjack bullpen arms or, even better, used in trades to land a legitimate, proven bat somewhere.

I think we're both concerned in the same ways about the same things. But this is not the same old story. This is an entirely new story.

Psyko Tek
09-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Two-part solution to silencing all skeptics:

1. Several of these promising prospects need to develop into legit players at the ML level. Stars? Dare we dream?
2. These players, or the majority of them, must be re-signed. Will we take MN's lead and substantially increase payroll as needed?

here's a solution
wrap up before football
basketball and hokey should end before may

extended seasons and 7 game play off don't help

football rules because it's one and done
march madness the same
cut the seasons in half and make them the only game in town
other than that I won't care

k I am a suns fan but still the seasons are to long
and playoffs need to be sudden death

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, this is a bit of uncharted territory. KC has never had this amount of talent in their system at one time. We actually have, get this, too many top-shelf pitching prospects. Some will have to become crackerjack bullpen arms or, even better, used in trades to land a legitimate, proven bat somewhere.

I think we're both concerned in the same ways about the same things. But this is not the same old story. This is an entirely new story.

I completely disagree about the "too many" part, especially given the flakiness of some, fragility of others, and the sucktitude of yet more (whom some wise posters said we never should have drafted, Crow you worthless sack of fuck).

Gonzo
09-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Well, that gives me wood.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 09:46 PM
I completely disagree about the "too many" part, especially given the flakiness of some, fragility of others, and the sucktitude of yet more (whom some wise posters said we never should have drafted, Crow you worthless sack of fuck).
What I was referring to was that we have more pitching prospects than we do major league rotation spots. You can never have enough arms in your system. Because they are currency. And because, like you said, people do get hurt.

Crow won't "bust." His stuff is too fucking good for him to be a worthless major league pitcher. My feeling is that, if his control over extended innings isn't back to normal next season, that his future will be as a relief pitcher. His stuff would be absolutely lock-down in the 8th or 9th innings. It won't be worth his draft spot but it will be a valuable role on the team.

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 09:50 PM
What I was referring to was that we have more pitching prospects than we do major league rotation spots. You can never have enough arms in your system. Because they are currency. And because, like you said, people do get hurt.

Crow won't "bust." His stuff is too ****ing good for him to be a worthless major league pitcher. My feeling is that, if his control over extended innings isn't back to normal next season, that his future will be as a relief pitcher. His stuff would be absolutely lock-down in the 8th or 9th innings. It won't be worth his draft spot but it will be a valuable role on the team.

His ceiling is Hochevar as a starter, so perhaps he could become a solid set-up guy, which wouldn't be all bad. But this brings us back to some of the concerns about the kid's mental makeup.

Just certain things I would almost never deviate from: A.) Don't take a pitcher 1/1. B.) Don't draft a kid who would sit out an entire year.

Reaper16
09-28-2010, 09:52 PM
His ceiling is Hochevar as a starter, so perhaps he could become a solid set-up guy, which wouldn't be all bad. But this brings us back to some of the concerns about the kid's mental makeup.

Just certain things I would almost never deviate from: A.) Don't take a pitcher 1/1. B.) Don't draft a kid who would sit out an entire year.
His ceiling is Hochevar's ceiling? Or his ceiling is Hochevar right now? I'm inclined to say the former.

I'm with you about your A & B rules.

tk13
09-28-2010, 09:54 PM
I will take pride in being the last remaining idiot to go down with the Hochevar ship. You all will rue the day!

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 09:57 PM
His ceiling is Hochevar's ceiling? Or his ceiling is Hochevar right now? I'm inclined to say the former.

I'm with you about your A & B rules.

Current Hochevar. Nails one night. Balls the next.

I've said numerous times that talent trumps intangibles, and I really believe this in most instances. Pitchers, however, are such mentally fragile ****s to begin with, taking one who lacks elite competitive drive is begging for disaster.

I refuse to believe that anyone who would forfeit an entire year of his career for relative peanuts is an elite competitor.

And Hochevar lacks an out pitch, tk. He's the poor man's Kevin Brown without the PEDs.

tk13
09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
His stuff has MOVEMENT! HE WILL BE A PITCHER1!!111

:)

DeezNutz
09-28-2010, 10:03 PM
HE WILL BE A PITCHER1!!111

:)

Complete agreement. LMAO.

alnorth
09-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Dude, I totally believe you. I have no doubt that we probably have the best prospects in all of baseball. The problem here is, (as you know) putting it together all at once and winning so they generate enough revenue to keep these guys. It's the same old story. We have good players that trickle in a few at a time and tear it up but by the time we call up enough to win, the existing ones are already traded away.Posted via Mobile Device

That is actually not the case this time. We really do have a ton of great prospects who are scheduled to come together at about the same time. A lot of great prospects need to inexplicably bust for the Royals to not become at least an above-average team in 2-3 years.

BWillie
09-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Greinke still thinks we are going to suck despite our prospects coming up. He is loco, but I think he's probably right..I mean we are cursed.

alnorth
09-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Greinke still thinks we are going to suck despite our prospects coming up. He is loco, but I think he's probably right..I mean we are cursed.

He's not really saying that, and he's arguably not wrong. He's saying that by the time we are ready to compete, it could be as late as 2013-2014, which we might be perfectly fine looking forward to, but hard for him to commit to.

BWillie
09-28-2010, 11:11 PM
He's not really saying that, and he's arguably not wrong. He's saying that by the time we are ready to compete, it could be as late as 2013-2014, which we might be perfectly fine looking forward to, but hard for him to commit to.

Can anybody tell me why teams just don't go out and buy 5 huge to good free agent pitchers that have proven themselves? Just completely blow your wad on starting pitching...and let the chips fall where they may on the rest of your needs. The Royals are .002 away from being the #1 team in the MLB in batting average and look what it got them. They are dead last in pitching (as usual) and we suck again.

Honestly, if I was a GM, I'd just spent 90% of the budget on pitching. Then bring the AAA team up to bat...I mean how much worse could it be.

Titty Meat
09-28-2010, 11:13 PM
It's football season who gives a flying fuck about baseball?

Sure-Oz
09-28-2010, 11:22 PM
I wonder what we can get for Greinke? I wonder if his value is the same as it was after last year ended? He has said some negative things lately and he checked out a long time ago. This season was not close to what i thought he'd do (atleast low 3 era)

DeezNutz
09-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Can anybody tell me why teams just don't go out and buy 5 huge to good free agent pitchers that have proven themselves? Just completely blow your wad on starting pitching...and let the chips fall where they may on the rest of your needs. The Royals are .002 away from being the #1 team in the MLB in batting average and look what it got them. They are dead last in pitching (as usual) and we suck again.

Honestly, if I was a GM, I'd just spent 90% of the budget on pitching. Then bring the AAA team up to bat...I mean how much worse could it be.

This is a statistic that means absolutely nothing, however. If we were nearly #1 in OBP or OPS, this season would have been dramatically different. Batting average, while nice and all, means jack shit.

KCUnited
09-29-2010, 06:19 AM
The irony is that Royals September ball is really the only ball worth watching.

Archie F. Swin
09-29-2010, 06:34 AM
For those of you that are keeping tabs of the farm system...what are some player names that you feel represent the future of the Royals?

DeezNutz
09-29-2010, 06:42 AM
For those of you that are keeping tabs of the farm system...what are some player names that you feel represent the future of the Royals?

Moosetacos should be up in '11, but Hosmer and Montgomery are arguably the two most talented prospects.

hawkchief
09-29-2010, 07:10 AM

MLB is broken. It doesn't matter one iota who owns the Royals, unless it's someone who's got a $100 million a year to lose - good luck finding someone willing to do that. People need to accept that the Royals will NEVER contend for a World Series in our lifetimes, unless the power-owners and MLB Union decide it's a game and not a business.

You can't expect a team in a market that can't make sense of supporting a payroll comparable to the top teams, to do so. Money doesn't grow on trees, yes, even for David Glass.

It's incredible how few people see through the reality of the sham that is MLB and continue to hold onto hope that the Royals might catch lightning in a bottle and beat teams stacked with the top talent, year in and year out. Even if we happen to win the hapless AL Central Division, we stand virtually no chance of going deep into the playoffs, much less knock off the Yankees, Sox etc. in a Series.

MLB is simply a joke, and people paying for tickets to the Royals and/or investing their emotions into the team are simply supporting its future in its current, pathetic state.

Deberg_1990
09-29-2010, 08:03 AM
I was telling my girl how the Yankees vs Royals was a big thing in the late 70's and 80's, now it doesn't mean shit

Theres a whole lost generation out there under 30 who have known nothing but Royals ineptitude....shameful.

Reaper16
09-29-2010, 08:21 AM

Moosetacos should be up in '11, but Hosmer and Montgomery are arguably the two most talented prospects.
The thing about the Royals' top five is that they are all arguable as the top prospect. For me, Wil Myers is the top prospect.

Basically, Archie, the elite prospects go like this:

Bats:
1B Eric Hosmer (destroyed high A before moving to AA at midseason, crushed AA on route to winning the Texas League championship)
C Wil Myers (super young, toolsy, best all around bat. This kid, whether he stays at Catcher or moves to the OF, has STAR written all over him)
3B Mike Moustakas (gave AA the ass-raping of its life before moving to AAA. After adjusting to AAA pitching, he ended up doing very well there. Led the entire major leagues in HR).

Arms:
Mike Montgomery (He's the shit. A bit of elbow stiffness held his playing time back this year, but when pitching he was pretty much overmatching the AA level).
John Lamb (made high A batters look foolish. This dude is absolutely filthy. Struggled through some minor roadblocks at AA but adjusted well enough)
Danny Duffy (a complete starting package.)
Chris Dwyer (him too. Also, all 4 pitchers I mentioned are Left Handed. Interesting).

There are plenty of guys underneath them that are major league players, too.

baitism
09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
If the Rays team were in KC instead of Tampa Bay then the crowds would be hella' big.

Pretty much this

Valiant
09-29-2010, 09:04 AM
KDude, I totally believe you. I have no doubt that we probably have the best prospects in all of baseball. The problem here is, (as you know) putting it together all at once and winning so they generate enough revenue to keep these guys. It's the same old story. We have good players that trickle in a few at a time and tear it up but by the time we call up enough to win, the existing ones are already traded away.

I truly hope that you're right and they put it together quicky enough to do something. Unfortunately, history usually repeats itself with this club all too often.
Posted via Mobile Device

The royals generate enough revenue to sign their great players. They just haven't. Luckily we won't have that problem it seems for a few more years.

Valiant
09-29-2010, 09:09 AM
I also remember being taking out of school when I was younger and seeing a packed stadium for a one o'clock games. Also the deafening roar packed house playoff game in 85 I got to go to. Basically like home opener for the chiefs.

gblowfish
09-29-2010, 09:50 AM
The Royals have entirely too much talent in their minor league system. It's not fair to teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs and Dodgers. KC needs to spread their wealth around. I say, make KC's players eligible for free agency after two years of service, so these other teams can have some talent for a change. We must continue making KC give up all their good players, otherwise, they may actually finish somewhere other than last place and 30 games out, where they rightfully belong.

Sincerely,
Every Big Market MLB Club

alnorth
09-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Deeznuts beat me to it, but Batting average is a crap statistic that only has prominence due to history and tradition. When you look at the statistics that have proven to correlate with whether you are going to score runs (OBP, OPS, etc), the Royals offense really isn't all that good.

BWillie
09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Deeznuts beat me to it, but Batting average is a crap statistic that only has prominence due to history and tradition. When you look at the statistics that have proven to correlate with whether you are going to score runs (OBP, OPS, etc), the Royals offense really isn't all that good.

Oh, I totally agree. I was just making a point. I'm pretty sure they are about 20th in runs scored which is probably the best offense they have had since 2003.