PDA

View Full Version : Football Tomlinson still has gas in the tank?

Msmith
09-30-2010, 10:07 AM
The run began like so many others for LaDainian Tomlinson(notes) over the past two-plus years – slowly developing to the outside and seemingly destined to go nowhere, sure to be cited as further confirmation that the formerly great back has lost a step.
Mark Sanchez helps celebrate Tomlinson's TD.
(Steve Mitchell/US Presswire)

And then suddenly, breathtakingly, on a magical Sunday night in Miami, it was 2006 again: LT made a sharp cut near the left sideline, swept past a slew of Dolphins defenders and made strong safety Chris Clemons look silly before being dragged down at the 5-yard-line, 18 yards from where he began. Four plays and a pass-interference penalty later, the Jets’ rejuvenated halfback took a patented leap over right guard and into the end zone for his 154th career touchdown and the final points in a 31-23 victory....

Link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Annnvt.OWtIh40j0FSTK5G5DubYF?slug=ms-32questions092910

How many players that the Chargers deemed wash up and let go but end up playing well for other teams? Brees, LT, Leber, Welker...anymore?

The Franchise
09-30-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm pretty sure that Brees wasn't considered washed up. He had surgery and the Chargers already had Rivers waiting in the wings.

pr_capone
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Erm... Welker played for them only in his rookie season. Hardly enough time to be "Washed up".

Msmith
09-30-2010, 10:15 AM
The contract that offered to Brees said everything about the confidence of the organization about him.

The Franchise
09-30-2010, 10:16 AM
The contract that offered to Brees said everything about the confidence of the organization about him.

Like I said....he was coming off of shoulder surgery. Why offer him a huge contract if you've already got a QB behind him....and you aren't 100% sure that he's ready to go?

And yeah....considering Welker didn't have a catch in his rookie season....he was hardly washed up.

Amnorix
09-30-2010, 10:16 AM
How many players that the Chargers deemed wash up and let go but end up playing well for other teams? Brees, LT, Leber, Welker...anymore?

Brees, no.

Welker wasn't "washed up", he was a "never gonna be". That's a projection they screwed up on bad.

Rodney Harrison was a BIG miss, however. He played some great years for the Patriots, helping to earn two rings.

Junior Seau probably was about done, but in the Pats system he still had some reasonably productive (though often injury-plagued) years.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Where's Buck's two cents?

POND_OF_RED
09-30-2010, 10:19 AM
I picked him up in my fantasy league just to see if Ryan would use him a lot near the goal line. Didn't see him outplaying Greene for the starting job though. Crazy.

Msmith
09-30-2010, 10:23 AM
Seems to me the Patriots picked up a lot of the Chargers cast-offs. Either they have a keen sense of talent evaluation or they can make players perform well in their system.

Buck
09-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Where's Buck's two cents?

OP is retarted for even including Welker on this.

Msmith
09-30-2010, 11:59 AM
OP is retarted for even including Welker on this.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't use the wording "wash up" to describe those players who let go by the Chargers and performed well in other teams.

Name another team who let go so many talents who either blossom later or still have gas in the tank. I can only name one, the Chicago Cubs.

pr_capone
09-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Okay, maybe I shouldn't use the wording "wash up" to describe those players who let go by the Chargers and performed well in other teams.

Name another team who let go so many talents who either blossom later or still have gas in the tank. I can only name one, the Chicago Cubs.

The Royals.

Johnny Damon
Carlos Beltran
Jermaine Dye
David Cone
Cecil Fielder
Bret Saberhagen
and many many more

Demonpenz
09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
We got Leon Roberts for Cecil. So that worked out.

Kerberos
09-30-2010, 03:47 PM
I say one of the TOP 5 stupidest things Carl Peckerson did while with the Chiefs was to trade Jared Allen to another team. Our best defensive player but he didn't want to pay big money for a guy that he didn't get along with. Period. Anyone can use the excuse that he was "A player with troubles" but IMO it was one of the dumbest things EVA in the CP regime.

A. J. Smith is a hard headed f***er but I would like to think he knows when to let a player go. LT did a lot for that organization but it was time for a change of pace for him. I think it did him good to move to the other side of the US to start over.

Deberg_1990
09-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I say one of the TOP 5 stupidest things Carl Peckerson did while with the Chiefs was to trade Jared Allen to another team. Our best defensive player but he didn't want to pay big money for a guy that he didn't get along with. Period. Anyone can use the excuse that he was "A player with troubles" but IMO it was one of the dumbest things EVA in the CP regime.

This has been discussed ad nausem but....

At first thought, yes its dumb to trade away a "franchise pass rusher"

JA, was considered a "high risk" player, coming off a suspension and 3 or 4 DUI's...

JA didnt want to be in KC anymore. He was ready to move on.

At least CP got some players for him. Basically Albert and Charles...i think?

Brock
09-30-2010, 04:11 PM

I'm kind of a JA fan, but if you look at the production he's given the team he was traded to and compare it to what the Chiefs got in the trade, it's kind of a no-brainer.

Kerberos
09-30-2010, 04:24 PM
This has been discussed ad nausem but....

At first thought, yes its dumb to trade away a "franchise pass rusher"

JA, was considered a "high risk" player, coming off a suspension and 3 or 4 DUI's...

JA didnt want to be in KC anymore. He was ready to move on.

At least CP got some players for him. Basically Albert and Charles...i think?

I'm kind of a JA fan, but if you look at the production he's given the team he was traded to and compare it to what the Chiefs got in the trade, it's kind of a no-brainer.

Yea I'm just a bitter f***er over all of that. I do know JA didn't want to be in KC anymore and 70% of that was because he despised CP so to me that is a double wammy of a king size FU by CP. It just pains me that we lost him because CP alienated him.

Msmith
10-03-2010, 01:23 PM
The end of 3rd quarter. LT so far has 133yds and 2TDs.

Chiefs Rool
10-03-2010, 01:28 PM
it appears TO also still has gas in the tank, 200+ yards so far

RealSNR
10-03-2010, 02:25 PM
I went up against LT and TO in fantasy football today.

Fuck me.

MMXcalibur
10-03-2010, 02:28 PM
I see that he still does that retarded ball flip.
I liked LT when he quietly handed the ball to the referee and went to the sidelines.

Deberg_1990
10-03-2010, 02:47 PM
it appears TO also still has gas in the tank, 200+ yards so far

There is no place for TO on the Chiefs....

Signed, Chiefsplanet...

jjchieffan
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Yep, AJ Smith isn't being perceived as quite the genius anymore. Look at the reasons why.
1.Let Brees Go...Dumb
2.Let Michael Turner Go..Total screw up
3.Fired a coach that turned his team around after a 14-2 season...WTF??
4.Replaced that coach with Norv Turner..what a retard
5.Let LT walk thinking he was done..apparently not

The guy is reaching Carl Peterson ineptitude.

Rausch
10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Yep, AJ Smith isn't being perceived as quite the genius anymore. Look at the reasons why.
1.Let Brees Go...Dumb
2.Let Michael Turner Go..Total screw up
3.Fired a coach that turned his team around after a 14-2 season...WTF??
4.Replaced that coach with Norv Turner..what a retard
5.Let LT walk thinking he was done..apparently not

The guy is reaching Carl Peterson ineptitude.

Peterson only had that much talent one year and he BEGGED them to stay.