PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Listen up, KC media hacks; THIS is how you do a Chiefs article.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Gentler Todd Haley part of the recipe for Chiefs' winning ways

Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
Kansas City Chiefs coach Todd Haley (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NFL/Todd+Haley) was painfully aware of his "crazy dude" coaching perception last season.

Player unfriendly? Let's just say Haley might have outdone his coaching mentor, Bill Parcells (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NFL/Bill+Parcells), by adding a level of hard-core, former Alabama legend Paul "Bear" Bryant (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NCAA/Bear+Bryant) to his demanding, change-the-culture approach as a rookie coach.

But the year-after dividends are tough to argue with for a 3-0 program built from the bottom up by Haley, general manager Scott Pioli (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Scott+Pioli) and a more veteran, tight-knit coaching staff that includes Super Bowl-winning defensive and offensive coordinators in Romeo Crennel (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NFL/Romeo+Crennel) and Charlie Weis (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NCAA/Charlie+Weis), respectively.

The Chiefs had won just 10 combined games their three previous seasons. Now they're one win shy of matching their 2009 victory total.

"Last year was about one thing — Let the alarm clock ring, major wake-up call and a lot of pain and suffering," Haley says of laying last season's 4-12 foundation.

"But that's the only way it could be. I took a lot of flak for that. My image takes a hit because everybody thinks I'm a crazy dude, the public perception of me.

"This year I've really worked hard at the team-building aspect of things, showing movies, and just different motivational things to try to get us closer."

One new-school example of Haley's enlightened coaching about-face: He had seen multitalented rookie slot receiver/return man Dexter McCluster's video for a public service announcement against text messaging and driving. It showcased McCluster's impressive talents as a free-style rapper.

McCluster's video gave Haley the idea to have the rookie come to the front of the Chiefs' meeting room during last week's game-planning meeting for the San Francisco 49ers (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Sports+Leagues/NFL/San+Francisco+49ers).

"As I went into our team meeting Wednesday morning, I told the guys as I went through all our keys, 'The reason I'm excited is because I knew how much room for improvement there was, that we're going to get better and better and better,'" Haley says. "To prove that point, I said, 'Dexter, get up here.'

"I put him up in front of his team. And I said, 'I hear you think you can free-style rap.' He started getting embarrassed. I said, 'No, stay here now. I want you to show you can free-style and I'm going to give you the subject matter.'"

Haley challenged the former Ole Miss rapper and singer to improvise an on-the-spot rap about where the Chiefs are as an offense now, and "how we're going to become good and then great."

Then, Haley told McCluster's teammates in the auditorium to give him a beat.

Haley and McCluster's teammates were blown away.

"He was unbelievable," Haley says. "That's an aspect to this kid that told me a lot about him when you can think fast like that. He just went at it and came up with some pretty incredible little quick lines with no preparation. I was impressed."

Haley impressed his players by turning this bye week into another team-building, players-take ownership exercise.

Since training camp, Haley had been soliciting advice from veteran players on what was their best bye-week experience.

Linebacker Mike Vrabel (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Mike+Vrabel), a 14th-year veteran, growled, "All the bye weeks have sucked. Even if the coaches think they're throwing you a bone and you only practice three times, I'd rather just play a game. Because practice beats me up more than a game."

Haley took that under advisement and came up with another player-friendly brainstorm.

"I picked 12-14 veteran-type guys — Vrabel, Brian Waters (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Brian+Waters), Thomas Jones, and some younger, developing guys, too, like Brandon Flowers (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Brandon+Flowers), Tamba Hali (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Tamba+Hali)— guys I want to become leaders at some point," Haley says. "I'm trying to have their best bye week.

"I've got coaching gear for them and I'm making them coaches for the week — trying to take care of their bodies.

"I was like, 'How can I most involve the guys we need and are going to need, but save the wear and tear on their bodies?'

"So I've got a player-coach list. They're going to dress in coaching gear. They're going to help run the meetings, coach out on the field. They're not going to practice. They're going to be coaches for the week. We'll see how that goes."

Rewarding players after the hard work and high-effort, disciplined play that led to Kansas City's surprising, 3-0 start goes a long way in the locker room.

"I told them, 'Since you guys have all the answers, we'll see how you do when the shoe is on the other foot,'" Haley says. "The Vrabels and the Waters are excited. I'm just trying to go outside the box and not be pigeonholed into one way of doing things."

The former Arizona Cardinals (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Sports+Leagues/NFL/Arizona+Cardinals) offensive coordinator helped Ken Whisenhunt (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Sports+Coaches,+Team+Owners,+Execs,+Officials/NFL/Ken+Whisenhunt)'s Cardinals soar to third in scoring offense and reach Super Bowl XLII (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Super+Bowl+XLII) and has served on three other coaching staffs — Dallas under Parcells, Chicago and the New York Jets (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Sports+Leagues/NFL/New+York+Jets), again under a Parcells regime that reached the playoffs.

So he knows what it takes even if his no-nonsense, demanding style won't ever go away.

A prime example is third-year cornerback Brandon Flowers, who has two interceptions, including a touchdown return against Cleveland.

"I had Brandon Flowers' mom come up to me and say after the Cleveland game, 'Coach Haley, I want to say hello to you and I just want you to know how much you've meant to Brandon,'" Haley says. "I said, 'Mrs. Flowers, I appreciate that because sometimes I thing Brandon really doesn't like me because I'm on him all the time. I always text (Message) him and tell him (Jets (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Organizations/Sports+Leagues/NFL/New+York+Jets) cornerback) Darrelle Revis (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Darrelle+Revis) is so much better than you.'

"You want to be great, I'm always challenging him."

Those challenges are paying off from the sizable weight loss since last season by defensive end/tackle Glenn Dorsey (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Glenn+Dorsey) and offensive tackle Brandon Albert that have allowed them more flexibility. And this April's dynamic draft class that Pioli, Haley and their coaching and scouting staffs added has been adding major contributions.

McCluster, nickel corner and return man Javier Arenas and even third-round tight end Tony Moeaki, who made that one-handed, Nerf-ball like 18-yard touchdown catch in Sunday's 31-10 trouncing of San Francisco, have all shown up.

"The whole group, it hasn't been too big for them," Haley says. "This may be one of those classes you look back on and say that was the catalyst for something special."

That and their second-year head coach's willingness to take a lighter, more enlightened approach that is playing well so far in Kansas City.

Fin.

L.A. Chieffan
09-30-2010, 10:27 AM
Maybe Dexter really IS lil Wayne

chiefs1okie
09-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Great read. The more I know and read about Haley, the happier I become about him being OUR coach.

Pants
I always text him and tell him Darrelle Revis (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/People/Athletes/NFL/Darrelle+Revis) is so much better than you.

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
Pwned by USA Today:

Think about THAT the next time you "mail it in".

Adam? Kent?

Thx!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Great read. The more I know and read about Haley, the happier I become about him being OUR coach.

No shit. We just got more inside goodies in one read than we've gotten in one year with our local hackneys. I'd be fucking embarrassed if I were them.

ModSocks
09-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Nice read. I hope Flowers actually does like Haley though.

Dayze
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Pwned by USA Today:

Think about THAT the next time you "mail it in".

Adam? Kent?

Thx!

no doubt.

great read.

the only thing worse than reading a Teicher article, is hearing him blabber/stutter like an idiot on the radio.

Goldmember
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Winning and the players respecting the head coach are going to go a long way to helping Pioli convince other players to come to KC. Like a lot of people, I wasn't too sure about this new regime, (horrible draft in 2009 and Cassel signing), but it seems that Weis and Crennel have turned things around. The rookies have also helped, of course.

It's a long season and they could still very well implode and the yelling and cussing may return, but I like the direction they seem to be headed this year. If they have a winning season and don't make the playoffs, it's more than I could have hoped for.

-King-
09-30-2010, 10:41 AM

From what I see...Haley is a very likable dude. When you watch the games, when a player gets a TD, Haley is right there waiting to congratulate them and celebrate with them. You don't see many other coaches doing that. They're already thinking about the next play and what not.

Otter
09-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Good article.

I've always like Haley. After being in the professional world for 10+ years I'll take someone who wears their heart on their sleeve and let's you know what they're thinking and shows passion over some ass kissing, tells you what you want to hear, sniveling little butt much who will wind up stabbing you in the back eventually.

Haley's my kind of dude and I'm 100% sold. I just wish he didn't calm down. :D

gblowfish
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
"It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat." - Judge Smails

Stinger
09-30-2010, 10:52 AM
How many times did we hear or read last year.... Haley is going to lose this team .....

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

beach tribe
09-30-2010, 10:57 AM

I'd imagine if his mom said so, it's probably on point. I hope so as well though.

beach tribe
09-30-2010, 10:58 AM
How many times did we hear or read last year.... Haley is going to lose this team .....

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

"You can't treat grown men this way, and expect them to perform for you"

Fritz88
09-30-2010, 11:07 AM
This > any article I have read by Kent and Adam.
Posted via Mobile Device

FAX
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
It is interesting how Haley came into the franchise hell bent for leather.

It's what the organization needed, though. We have transformed from a soft team to one with confidence and a commitment to hard work and success. Hard to argue with the results so far.

FAX

Pants
09-30-2010, 11:15 AM
From what I see...Haley is a very likable dude. When you watch the games, when a player gets a TD, Haley is right there waiting to congratulate them and celebrate with them. You don't see many other coaches doing that. They're already thinking about the next play and what not.

This is true. Especially telling is the fact that players always seem to gravitate to him when they do something good. It always seems like they're out to please and impress him akin to a little boy trying to impress his dad if that makes sense.

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 11:20 AM
"You can't treat grown men this way, and expect them to perform for you"

And when he was acting like a horse's ass last year, they didn't perform.

Like Metro said, this year he's celebrating with his players instead of blowing them off. He's not a raving lunatic on the sideline.

I don't think it's just coincidence that this team started coming together last year after the Pittsburgh game, where from that point on, "Psycho Todd" disappeared and "Normal Todd" appeared.

CaliforniaChief
09-30-2010, 11:24 AM

Like Metro said, this year he's celebrating with his players instead of blowing them off. He's not a raving lunatic on the sideline.

I don't think it's just coincidence that this team started coming together last year after the Pittsburgh game, where from that point on, "Psycho Todd" disappeared and "Normal Todd" appeared.

He's definitely changed his tactics, no doubt about it.

Those guys WANT to play for him. I look at Waters and how that relationship has changed and just marvel at the transformation.

Good, good, good, stuff.

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 11:25 AM
He's definitely changed his tactics, no doubt about it.

Those guys WANT to play for him. I look at Waters and how that relationship has changed and just marvel at the transformation.

Good, good, good, stuff.

I agree, and I've warmed up to him in a big way.

Not acting like a complete idiot on the sideline has a ton to do with that.

Stinger
09-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I agree, and I've warmed up to him in a big way.

Not acting like a complete idiot on the sideline has a ton to do with that.

Given the last two Head coaches this team needed a shake up and a hard nosed SOB and mix it up IMO. It always easier to ease the reigns after you establish yourself than when you start.

Mama Hip Rockets
09-30-2010, 11:29 AM
I would like to see a video of this freestyle performance.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-30-2010, 11:36 AM

I hated the Haley hire last year. Looking back it's like he had a plan. Shock and awe. His plan is working flawlessly. He got their attention ,got the fat asses in shape ,shipped out the pretenders , drafted team captains with talent and now the fun times are here. 4 wins in a row tells you something and two of those were blowouts.

LaChapelle
09-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Probably couldn't write an article like this in KC anyway
negativity keep Whitlock and KK in business
even Chiefsplanet is less lively whenthe team is doing well

DaFace
09-30-2010, 11:42 AM

I also think that part of it is probably unintentional. He was probably so stressed last year that he was constantly lashing out at people. This year, he's got good guys (Weiss and Crennel) to help him out, so that takes some of the load off. Load off + things going well = happy Todd

stevieray
eleventy billion negative comments about Haley last year.

...just another example of how most don't know WTF they are talking about.

Mr. Flopnuts
I've loved the Haley hire from about day 4. Heh, I wasn't thrilled at first but I got on board quick, and he's making me happier and happier to have him here. He's the next big time coach. I'm convinced of it. I could easily see him here for 15 years.

ZootedGranny
09-30-2010, 11:46 AM
One new-school example of Haley's enlightened coaching about-face: He had seen multitalented rookie slot receiver/return man Dexter McCluster's video for a public service announcement against text messaging and driving. It showcased McCluster's impressive talents as a free-style rapper.

"I put him up in front of his team. And I said, 'I hear you think you can free-style rap.' He started getting embarrassed. I said, 'No, stay here now. I want you to show you can free-style and I'm going to give you the subject matter.'"

Haley challenged the former Ole Miss rapper and singer to improvise an on-the-spot rap about where the Chiefs are as an offense now, and "how we're going to become good and then great."

Then, Haley told McCluster's teammates in the auditorium to give him a beat.

Haley and McCluster's teammates were blown away.

http://i.imgur.com/cBbpF.jpg

LOCOChief
09-30-2010, 11:57 AM

I disagree with this. What was he to do come in and start celebrating with the players right off the bat when there was clearly nothing to celebrate? No he let them know that complacency was not tolerated, dumb play was not tolerated, not giving 110% effort would not be tolerated and you had to earn his respect by not giving up on your teammates.

I've had the fortune to be part of a successful "turn around" and I was happy with his approach from day 1, regardless if a few guys were butt hurt (I really don't give a shit about that) and in the end they don't either.

PS. not all these guys are grown men and they're getting paid millions to play a game.

GoHuge
09-30-2010, 11:58 AM
I have always loved the guy. Last year we were hearing about hiim "losing the team," and now they've all bought in and with seeing the success that environment has shown them they have worked on their own even harder. This team now know what it feels like to win close games that came down to the O or D make those last few plays to seal the deal and blew out another by following the exact game plan the coaches put together. I think the coaches will keep these guys humble, but confident. Gonna be fun to watch and you can see what type of relationship Haley has with his players on the sidelines during games. He is more comfortable as a head coach and doesn't have try and prove he is worthy of the position. DJ is a perfect example of what Haley has brought to the table along with his staff.

MMXcalibur
09-30-2010, 12:31 PM
I like the quote on last season's 4-12 crapfest, "Let the alarm clock ring, major wake-up call and a lot of pain and suffering".

I won't say we're out of the woods quite yet, but we can see a clearing and at least have found a path.

KCUnited
09-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Just think what our record would be if Haley had actually played the game instead of that pillowbiter golf shit.

Psyko Tek
09-30-2010, 12:43 PM
I miss Bat shit insane Todd yelling on the sidelines

I loved "Snap the fucking ball, Brody"

but I think I can learn to like the winning thing

teedubya
09-30-2010, 12:48 PM
I thought Haley sucked last year and was a loaded gun on the sidelines. Him firing Gailey right before the regular season was a difficult thing to do... but it looks like he is coming into his own. I like him much better this year.

Having great Coordinators are helping him out in a huge way.

Jerm
09-30-2010, 12:52 PM
For some reason after reading that all I can picture is Haley yelling out "yo gimme a beat..."

:shrug:

gblowfish
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
I would caution everybody that, one reason we haven't seen "Angry Psycho Todd" so far this year is because we haven't lost yet. If we run off a string where we lose six or seven in a row (and YES it could happen with this team with an injury or two) we'll see how Coach Haley reacts. I've said all along that he looks healthier and happier this year because he isn't overwhelmed with his coaching responsibilities, and isn't as sleep deprived. Weis and Crennel have helped a bunch. I think Coach Haley could still be a very good head coach, but don't christen him a genius just yet. Some adversity is sure to come during the year, and we have yet to see how severe that will be.

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 01:04 PM
I would caution everybody that, one reason we haven't seen "Angry Psycho Todd" so far this year is because we haven't lost yet. If we run off a string where we lose six or seven in a row (and YES it could happen with this team with an injury or two) we'll see how Coach Haley reacts. I've said all along that he looks healthier and happier this year because he isn't overwhelmed with his coaching responsibilities, and isn't as sleep deprived. Weis and Crennel have helped a bunch. I think Coach Haley could still be a very good head coach, but don't christen him a genius just yet. Some adversity is sure to come during the year, and we have yet to see how severe that will be.

Good post, George, but I'm of the opinion he's turned the corner already.

That doesn't mean I'm going to christen him a genius, but I think the light switch flipped for him the week of the Pittsburgh game last year when his dad visited.

After that, they still faced some adversity, like getting anal-raped by Denver, our QB having 14.6 and 36.4 rating in back to back weeks, etc - and he wasn't the same volatile lunatic he was early in the season.

I think he was on his way before RAC and Weis came aboard, but there's no doubt they've helped.

TimeForWasp
09-30-2010, 01:07 PM
The only thing that bothers me about hiring Weis and Crennel is the fact that they are doing such a good job that we may lose one or both of them to head coaching jobs next year. Then where will we be?

Chief Henry
09-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Good stuff indeed, props to the writer of the article and props to ROR for finding this article...Haley is learning and accepting new ideas from many sources.

Haley is maturing as a head coach.

Basileus777
09-30-2010, 01:22 PM
The only thing that bothers me about hiring Weis and Crennel is the fact that they are doing such a good job that we may lose one or both of them to head coaching jobs next year. Then where will we be?

I don't think Romeo will be a head coach again. Weis' health problems may keep teams away from him as well.

Kerberos
09-30-2010, 01:42 PM
"It's easy to grin / When your ship comes in / And you've got the stock market beat. / But the man worthwhile, / Is the man who can smile, / When his shorts are too tight in the seat." - Judge Smails

"Hey Smells .... You scratched my anchor." Al Czervik

RealSNR
09-30-2010, 02:00 PM
I'd be curious to see what kind of justifications Knowmo makes up for Josh McDaniels still being a better head coach than Haley :hmmm:

I think it's fair to say the Chiefs got the better guy. At least for now. Both of those guys were rookie HCs last year. Todd appears to have corrected a lot of his problems while McDaniels has added mistakes.

MikeMaslowski
09-30-2010, 02:23 PM
The text message thing is hilarious. I love it. Imagine being able to play a game for a living......

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Just think what our record would be if Haley had actually played the game instead of that pillowbiter golf shit.

You mean like Singletary ! Good point.

chiefs1okie
09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
You mean like Singletary ! Good point.

:LOL::LOL::LOL: THIS.

R&GHomer
09-30-2010, 02:34 PM
Good stuff indeed, props to the writer of the article and props to ROR for finding this article...Haley is learning and accepting new ideas from many sources.

Haley is maturing as a head coach.

I don't disagree that Haley is maturing as a head coach "He should as long as he's the head coach" I would hope, as a measure of his character that he never stops striving to be better.

What surprises me is that so many people don't seem to recognize "IMHO" that most of his actions to date have been part of the plan. Decided on from the moment he accepted the job. BUILD A TEAM!

Not unlike the military s boot camp. A group of individuals "and we had a bunch" from whatever background... are all going to be accountable by one standard. You break them down, never faltering from treating everyone the same. Eventually the ones that just wont conform get weeded out and you're left with the foundation.

Slowly but surely you start building, one step at a time. Will some falter and start slipping back into bad habits? Sure! but at some point the light flips on and as a group you start to realize that... Hey all this yelling, cussing and hard work aren't because the drill sergeant "coach" is a complete mental dick head. He's teaching us what's necessary to survive "Win".

The light didn't flip on with Haley after the Pittsburgh game. The light flipped on for our team. Haley is acting like a leader. Have we arrived, hell no, but I for one commend this organization from the top down. They have a plan, and they are sticking with it.

Proud to be a Chiefs Fan!!

Rooster
09-30-2010, 03:17 PM

ROFLROFL Get your foot off the boat Spalding...

Contrarian
09-30-2010, 03:51 PM
I disagree with this. What was he to do come in and start celebrating with the players right off the bat when there was clearly nothing to celebrate? No he let them know that complacency was not tolerated, dumb play was not tolerated, not giving 110% effort would not be tolerated and you had to earn his respect by not giving up on your teammates.

I've had the fortune to be part of a successful "turn around" and I was happy with his approach from day 1, regardless if a few guys were butt hurt (I really don't give a shit about that) and in the end they don't either.

PS. not all these guys are grown men and they're getting paid millions to play a game.

Absolutely agree!
Many on this post think that what Haley is doing this year is due to his bad guy reputation last year. That is bullshit. It's leadership 101. That is what you do with a non productive lazy group of people that have become used to what they think they are and are satisfied. Losers.
How many times have you worked somewhere and your company hires a significant someone to come in and manage the old group of people that have grown used to their surroundings and the way the company operates?
Just to see that new manager clean house, change the expectations, and hire hungrier more qualified individuals to produce at a hire level. Then implement innovative ways to build their team structure.
It's all part of the plan.

allen_kcCard
09-30-2010, 03:55 PM
100% agree with the above posts as well.

It is even complete with an old school person that tried to tell the new guys "how we do things around here" and them being made an example of. Good thing is that in this case that guy put on his big boy pants and got with the program and is doing well now. LJ, Page, and Pollard are examples of guys that I see as a byproduct of the changes and they are gone now because they were not getting with the new way of doing things or couldn't cut it.

TheGuardian
09-30-2010, 03:58 PM

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

You mean from Mecca? About a zillion.

I loved the Haley hire when it happened. Dude is going to be great.

Otter
09-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I don't disagree that Haley is maturing as a head coach "He should as long as he's the head coach" I would hope, as a measure of his character that he never stops striving to be better.

What surprises me is that so many people don't seem to recognize "IMHO" that most of his actions to date have been part of the plan. Decided on from the moment he accepted the job. BUILD A TEAM!

Not unlike the military s boot camp. A group of individuals "and we had a bunch" from whatever background... are all going to be accountable by one standard. You break them down, never faltering from treating everyone the same. Eventually the ones that just wont conform get weeded out and you're left with the foundation.

Slowly but surely you start building, one step at a time. Will some falter and start slipping back into bad habits? Sure! but at some point the light flips on and as a group you start to realize that... Hey all this yelling, cussing and hard work aren't because the drill sergeant "coach" is a complete mental dick head. He's teaching us what's necessary to survive "Win".

The light didn't flip on with Haley after the Pittsburgh game. The light flipped on for our team. Haley is acting like a leader. Have we arrived, hell no, but I for one commend this organization from the top down. They have a plan, and they are sticking with it.

Proud to be a Chiefs Fan!!

Are you new here? People are finding way to complain about being 3-0.

If the Chiefs stumbled upon building a car that ran on water some people would be bitching that their going to make everyone die of thirst.

I was tickled pink when they showed Carl the door and brought in smart, young guys from outside 'the circle of mediocrity'. That right there was enough to make me shut up and see what happens.

Now if they would just draft and develop a QB! :mad:

:D

MatriculatingHank
09-30-2010, 04:02 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-OYyHO1HoUk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-OYyHO1HoUk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

penchief
09-30-2010, 04:29 PM

All of this shit was exaggerated last year because too many people were injecting their own agenda, ala Whitlock. So much of what was said had no basis in reality. I really don't think his fundamental approach has changed much at all. Even last year you could see players on the sideline gravitate toward him when they experienced any measure of success. Even guys who supposedly had reason to dislike him, like Bowe and DJ.

Last year he had to break this team down. This year he's building it up the way he envisioned. I think it's too easy for people who were too shortsighted in their premature evaluation of Todd Haley to say that the reason Haley is experiencing success now is because he changed his ways. I think any success he is experiencing is because he stuck to his guns. The process is now in a stage that calls for a different tack than what was needed when this team was a bunch of self-entitled pussies.

blazzin311
09-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Nice read. Better than some of the other Chiefs articles some of these clueless nit-wit writers come up with. :clap:

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 04:37 PM
All of this shit was exaggerated last year because too many people were injecting their own agenda, ala Whitlock.

What?

Exaggerated?

We all watch it with our own two eyes, either on the TV broadcast, or live at Arrowhead.

Hell, Clayton devoted an entire "GIF'd UP" to Haley raving like a lunatic on the sidelines.

Don't act like it didn't happen - it did.

And thankfully, his Dad or someone else got to him, he woke the fuck up, and now he acts like a leader.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, some of you watch too much Friday Night Lights.

You can be a leader and change a culture without treating people like shit.

penchief
09-30-2010, 04:44 PM
What?

Exaggerated?

We all watch it with our own two eyes, either on the TV broadcast, or live at Arrowhead.

Hell, Clayton devoted an entire "GIF'd UP" to Haley raving like a lunatic on the sidelines.

And thankfully, his Dad or someone else got to him, he woke the **** up, and now he acts like a leader.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, some of you watch too much Friday Night Lights.

The impact of his actions were most certainly exaggerated. He never lost this team as people were saying. Coaches getting emotional on the sidelines is nothing earthshattering. Too many people exaggerated the impact of Haley's behavior in order to fuel their own opinions.

Anyone with two eyes could see that Haley was exactly what this team needed. And anyone with forsight would have seen better times coming. It's just that some people have to present themselves as smarter than everyone else by trying to be the first to tear something down before it even has a chance to work.

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 04:57 PM
The impact of his actions were most certainly exaggerated. He never lost this team as people were saying. Coaches getting emotional on the sidelines is nothing earthshattering. Too many people exaggerated the impact of Haley's behavior in order to fuel their own opinions.

Anyone with two eyes could see that Haley was exactly what this team needed. And anyone with forsight would have seen better times coming. It's just that some people have to present themselves as smarter than everyone else by trying to be the first to tear something down before it even has a chance to work.

LMAO

"Getting emotional."

Yeah, that's all it was.

If you want to go through life thinking that MFing a bunch of grown men is a way to get their respect - to get them to buy in, go right ahead.

I know better.

Hammock Parties
09-30-2010, 05:10 PM
I love the fact that Haley texts Flowers and tells him Revis is better.

LOL

Probably one a week, that text comes, like a thief in the night. And it pisses Flowers RIGHT off.

That's funny.

(Herm doesn't text, the fucker).

penchief
09-30-2010, 05:15 PM
LMAO

"Getting emotional."

Yeah, that's all it was.

If you want to go through life thinking that MFing a bunch of grown men is a way to get their respect - to get them to buy in, go right ahead.

I know better.

It appears he had their respect. To say otherwise is to do so without any basis in anything other than personal opinion. Yet there were many like you who whined and bitched about something you had no real insight about. Only speculation and your own agenda.

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Looks like arguing the poster instead of the post is becoming the M.O. around here.

penchief
09-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Looks like arguing the poster instead of the post is becoming the M.O. around here.

Absolutely not. You must be cherrypicking yourself because you keep missing the point. You can say you don't like the way Haley acted all you want. But it's not your place to claim to know how his conduct affected the team. Apparently he didn't lose them. And apparently he has their respect.

So those of you who predicted Haley's demise and who are now trying to peddle the notion that Haley's so called "makeover" is the reason he is succeeding are full of yourselves. He's succeeding now because of the foundation he built last year and his persistence in sticking to his guns.

Rain Man
09-30-2010, 05:34 PM
I love the fact that Haley texts Flowers and tells him Revis is better.

LOL

Probably one a week, that text comes, like a thief in the night. And it pisses Flowers RIGHT off.

That's funny.

(Herm doesn't text, the ****er).

Herm would stand outside their window with a misspelled sign. Flowers would be going, "Why am I not as good as Bevis?"

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Absolutely not. You must be cherrypicking yourself because you keep missing the point. You can say you don't like the way Haley acted all you want. But it's not your place to claim to know how his conduct affected the team. Apparently he didn't lose them. And apparently he has their respect.

So those of you who predicted Haley's demise and who are now trying to peddle the notion that Haley's so called "makeover" is the reason he is succeeding are full of yourselves. He's succeeding now because of the foundation he built last year and his persistence in sticking to his guns.

Anyone else see the irony in this post, or just me?

penchief
09-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Anyone else see the irony in this post, or just me?

I'm beginning to see the irony in debating with you. You're a know-it-all until you have to back up your claims. Then you resort to diversionary tactics.

OnTheWarpath15
09-30-2010, 05:52 PM

I'm beginning to see the irony in debating with you. You're a know-it-all until you have to back up your claims. Then you resort to diversionary tactics.

Idiot.

Back up my claims?

It's an OPINION.

Which is why the bullshit you posted is so fucking ironic.

You tell me that it's "not my place to claim to know how his conduct affected the team."

Then turn around and do exactly what you claim is not my place.

You don't know any more than I do - neither of us were in the locker room.

But I know what I saw both on TV and live at Arrowhead - that after the Pittsburgh game, and Haley stopped acting like a jackass on the sideline - that players improved, the effort seemed higher and we started playing with more energy.

Again, just an opinion. Just like yours.

Except mine isn't littered with words like "agenda."

penchief
09-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Idiot.

Back up my claims?

It's an OPINION.

Which is why the bullshit you posted is so ****ing ironic.

You tell me that it's "not my place to claim to know how his conduct affected the team."

But I know what I saw both on TV and live at Arrowhead - that after the Pittsburgh game, and Haley stopped acting like a jackass on the sideline - that players improved, the effort seemed higher and we started playing with more energy.

Exactly. You don't know anymore than I do. Which is why I choose to give the benefit of the doubt whereas you choose to condemn. If you are going to condemn then you should be able to provide enough evidence to justify your strong negative opinions.

All the evidence I saw last year was that he was purging this team of its sense of entitlement and its loser mentality. I think last year went a long way in earning his players respect. You seem to be more interested in decorum than substance.

jjchieffan
09-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I agree. I am really liking the Haley hire. Sure glad that we missed out on McDumbass.:D

Molitoth
09-30-2010, 06:22 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-OYyHO1HoUk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-OYyHO1HoUk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

lol; terrible. :lame:

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-30-2010, 06:26 PM
Herm would stand outside their window with a misspelled sign. Flowers would be going, "Why am I not as good as Bevis?"

ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
09-30-2010, 06:36 PM

"Crazy Todd" was an absolute necessity for this team to move forward. Guys like Waters needed to be reminded that they were not above the ultimate goal of winning.

LOCOChief
09-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Idiot.

Back up my claims?

It's an OPINION.

Which is why the bullshit you posted is so ****ing ironic.

I think what you've failed to realize is Haley had a plan that he is executing in quarters as he has told us. It started with him letting the current players know that no one player was bigger than the team. If you've been part of a team that knew any sort of success then you know what I'm saying. That process while painfull will make even grown buys get butthurt sometimes. My question is who gives a shit?

Look at the results.

Halfcan
09-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I think Haley has really matured as a coach-No player wants to be yelled at for 10 minutes for every mistake. This year he has been going to the players and just talking it over without berating them. I think he is becoming a great coach-but time will tell.

R&GHomer
09-30-2010, 07:47 PM
What?

Exaggerated?

And thankfully, his Dad or someone else got to him, he woke the **** up, and now he acts like a leader.

IMHO it isn't about treating someone like shit. It's about teaching a new culture. By all means... Thank his Dad, and for that matter... everyone that he has been evolved with. Do you think these Men are born with it??

Buehler445
10-01-2010, 08:40 AM
No shit. We just got more inside goodies in one read than we've gotten in one year with our local hackneys. I'd be fucking embarrassed if I were them.

Ain't that some shit?

And LOL at "Revis is so much better than you" texts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Pote
10-01-2010, 10:11 AM
IF they don't win at Indy....you should all open this thread and read. Stay classy guys, the season is young.

Btw...nice article.