PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Notebook | Haley deems player-coaches a success

Tribal Warfare
09-30-2010, 10:50 PM
Chiefs Notebook | Haley deems player-coaches a success (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/09/30/2265076/chiefs-notebook-haley-deems-player.html)
By TEREZ PAYLOR
The Kansas City Star

When Chiefs coach Todd Haley decided to make several players — primarily veterans — honorary coaches this week, he did it so those players could rest during the bye week but still remain heavily involved in practice.

And after the Chiefs finished up their last day of practice Thursday before a three-day weekend, Haley deemed the experiment a success.

“All 14 guys have really surprised me,” Haley said of the honorary coaches. “There isn’t one that I wasn’t impressed with in some way or another. They took this and ran with it, took ownership over it and were into helping making our team better from a different perspective.”

However, the experiment also had a side effect: It showed players just how hard it is to coach.

“It gives you a different aspect of football,” said receiver Terrance Copper. “On the field, you constantly have to be into practice the whole time, talking, coaching (guys) up.”

Haley said linebacker Mike Vrabel learned all this the hard way. On Thursday, Vrabel was calling plays for the defense against the Brian Waters-led offense.

“He and coach Waters were going mano y mano in calling (plays), and it got down to crunch time, and I happened to be standing over by Mike,” Haley began.

“All of a sudden you heard Mike go, ‘Oh, you got any suggestions?’ ” Haley said in a meek whisper intended to mimic Vrabel.

He may have needed help, but Vrabel said the experience didn’t rule coaching out of his future.

Vrabel joked that he learned another valuable lesson.

“The one thing this taught me is that I’ll never coach with Todd,” Vrabel said with a laugh. “I (told him after) three days that I may want to coach, but I know I won’t coach on your staff.”

Weis returns

Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis returned to the practice field Thursday.

Weis, who underwent gallbladder surgery Monday and missed two straight days of practice, never got out of his motorized cart.

However, it appears the toughness Weis showed in making a speedy return is just an example of the team-first mentality Haley and his staff have been trying to cultivate.

“The way we’re thinking is that we’re all going to do anything and everything for the cause,” said Haley, who reiterated that he stays out of his staff’s personal business. “And when you have 61-plus players and coaches in a building thinking that, you’re generally going to be in more games than not.”

Risk vs. reward

This may go without saying, but Haley acknowleged that all plays are not created equally.

“When you call certain plays,” Haley said, “you hold your breath.”

Haley said the key to knowing when to call a risky play is preparation.

“You’re trying to make an educated gamble that we can execute and there’s a weakness there that can be taken advantage of,” Haley said. “But those two things have to happen (for it to work).”

Medical updates

Defensive lineman Tyson Jackson, cornerback Javier Arenas and offensive lineman Ryan O’Callaghan spent their practice time conditioning. Arenas suffered an ankle injury in Sunday’s game, while O’Callaghan has been dealing with a groin injury.

Jackson hasn’t played since he suffered a knee injury in the season opener against San Diego.

Hammock Parties
10-01-2010, 12:12 AM
“When you call certain plays,” Haley said, “you hold your breath.”

Haley said the key to knowing when to call a risky play is preparation.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2vlv447.jpg

Tylerthigpen!1!
10-01-2010, 02:34 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/2vlv447.jpg

Shit Herm on 4th down killed me. I can think of numerous occasions where the chiefs had the ball/lead with 4th and short with minutes remaining and then Herm punts the damn ball away only to see his defense blow the win.

milkman
10-01-2010, 07:19 AM
I hope the bikes have Ryan O'Callghan's ass imprint on them by the end of the season.

I never want to see that useless bastard on the field again.

LOCOChief
10-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Yeah Richardson appears to have a hold on RT, I can't imagine him getting the hook.

ChiTown
10-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Yeah Richardson appears to have a hold on RT, I can't imagine him getting the hook.

We need to draft a good RT next year. I'm not massively displeased with BRich, but I think we can do better. jmho

Rasputin
10-01-2010, 08:43 AM
We need to draft a good RT next year. I'm not massively displeased with BRich, but I think we can do better. jmho

Sure, there is always room for improvement. However, I think B R is doing a fine job and is only getting better. We have much more pressing needs than RT though. I think he could end up as good as any RT in the league and we wouldn't have to start all over at that spot. Continuity plays a big part on the O-line so the more guys we keep intact that play good together the better.

He hasn't had many false starts or any that I can remember & that was my only concern about him. We need to be thinking WRs, LG & Center & a highly touted QB.

FAX
10-01-2010, 08:48 AM
"Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis returned to the practice field Thursday."

Awesome.

I am now officially a Charlie Weis homer person.

FAX

milkman
10-01-2010, 09:10 AM

Awesome.

FAX

You're a Weis man, Mr. Fax.

The Franchise
10-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Sure, there is always room for improvement. However, I think B R is doing a fine job and is only getting better. We have much more pressing needs than RT though. I think he could end up as good as any RT in the league and we wouldn't have to start all over at that spot. Continuity plays a big part on the O-line so the more guys we keep intact that play good together the better.

He hasn't had many false starts or any that I can remember & that was my only concern about him. We need to be thinking WRs, LG & Center & a highly touted QB.

Am I wrong in thinking that Asamoah could switch over and play LG? Then all we would need is a center and our o-line would be good.

Albert - Asamoah - ??? - Lilja - Richardson

Oregon chief
10-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Awesome.

FAX

Agreed 100%

aturnis
10-01-2010, 11:19 PM
Am I wrong in thinking that Asamoah could switch over and play LG? Then all we would need is a center and our o-line would be good.

Lilja might step back over to left guard, and Asamoah may stay at right guard. Covered though.

DaneMcCloud
10-01-2010, 11:29 PM

Let him start 16 straight games at right tackle for the first time ever, then evaluate his progress AFTER the season is completed.

He's a third year player and he's doing quite well at the position.

It's logical to expect that he'll continue to improve.

FAX
10-01-2010, 11:32 PM
How many sacks/hurries/frantic-wild-ass-arms-akimbo-rushes has he given up so far?

FAX

Hammock Parties
10-01-2010, 11:33 PM
Let him start 16 straight games at right tackle for the first time ever, then evaluate his progress AFTER the season is completed.

He's a third year player and he's doing quite well at the position.

It's logical to expect that he'll continue to improve.

The Colts game will tell us a lot about B-Rich.

If he handles Mathis, he's gonna be a stud.

If not, he'll need to improve.

DaneMcCloud
10-01-2010, 11:34 PM
How many sacks/hurries/frantic-wild-ass-arms-akimbo-rushes has he given up so far?

FAX

Cassel's only been sacked twice this year. I'd have to go back and re-watch the previous three games to be certain but I don't remember saying to myself "Richardson blew that play".

The running game has obviously been quite strong.

FAX
10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Cassel's only been sacked twice this year. I'd have to go back and re-watch the previous three games to be certain but I don't remember saying to myself "Richardson blew that play".

Yeah ... I was trying to recall any plays given up by Richardson and couldn't bring any to memory ... not that that means anything ... just that he doesn't stand out in my mind as a failure or goofball or slug or the kind of guy who sticks loaded potato skins in his ears.

FAX

FAX
10-01-2010, 11:55 PM

By the way, Mr. DaneMcCloud, I just want to congratulate you and your state for reducing the penalty for marijuana possession down to the equivalent of a parking ticket.

Property values are sure to skyrocket as a result.

FAX

Shaid
10-02-2010, 12:01 AM
The Colts game will tell us a lot about B-Rich.

If he handles Mathis, he's gonna be a stud.

If not, he'll need to improve.

Mathis is a pretty tall order but I tend to agree with you here.

Rasputin
10-02-2010, 12:17 AM

I don't think that's a bad idea. We still need depth and compition is always good. This is a learning year for Asamoah & hopefully he can get some good reps in games for exerience. Sometimes just becouse we have a guy filling a spot doesn't meen we shouldnt draft for that position BAP. Football is like playing chess make moves that count.

It would really depend on the development of Asamoah this year for the coaches to decide on that idea.

DaneMcCloud
10-02-2010, 12:26 AM
I don't think that's a bad idea. We still need depth and compition is always good. This is a learning year for Asamoah & hopefully he can get some good reps in games for exerience. Sometimes just becouse we have a guy filling a spot doesn't meen we shouldnt draft for that position BAP. Football is like playing chess make moves that count.

It would really depend on the development of Asamoah this year for the coaches to decide on that idea.

Asamoah was a four year starter at right guard and Lilja has been a left guard since his rookie season in 2004. IF Waters retires, then Asamoah should be the RG and Lilja at left.

Asamoah's more of a right side guy, anyway.

RippedmyFlesh
10-02-2010, 12:27 AM
To me this is an example of good coaching.
I think Richardson has had the physical tools all along .
Mentally he has developed as a football player.
Coming out of college that was his biggest knock.
Not having a mean streak / lack of focus.

Thig Lyfe
10-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Crown their asses.

Rasputin
10-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Asamoah was a four year starter at right guard and Lilja has been a left guard since his rookie season in 2004. IF Waters retires, then Asamoah should be the RG and Lilja at left.

There ya go, that makes more since. Really for us to save a draft pick is for Asamoah step up to the plate and play ball. We will still be lacking depth. The center should be high priority this offseason.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-02-2010, 05:53 AM
There ya go, that makes more since. Really for us to save a draft pick is for Asamoah step up to the plate and play ball. We will still be lacking depth. The center should be high priority this offseason.

I hate going into any draft thinking that we have to draft a certain position.

It is especially ignorant as fans. The entire board was talking about how the front seven sucked and we needed to address that. The board as a whole just knew the Chiefs would suck against the run again. The board knew that we needed to get a true NT and a better OLB.

Instead, we draft an undersized RB and a nickel corner.

And, here we sit with our best defense in a long, long time.

The key to drafting well is best player available that fits your team. There are 22 starters, and 40 guys or so who contribute on a weekly basis. Upgrading any of those 40 will improve the team.

runnercyclist
10-02-2010, 06:04 AM
I hate going into any draft thinking that we have to draft a certain position.

It is especially ignorant as fans. The entire board was talking about how the front seven sucked and we needed to address that. The board as a whole just knew the Chiefs would suck against the run again. The board knew that we needed to get a true NT and a better OLB.

Instead, we draft an undersized RB and a nickel corner.

And, here we sit with our best defense in a long, long time.

The key to drafting well is best player available that fits your team. There are 22 starters, and 40 guys or so who contribute on a weekly basis. Upgrading any of those 40 will improve the team.

Well that's sensible, chiefsfan.

michaelj_58
10-02-2010, 06:17 AM
i like the player coach thing,its gotta help players learn their jobs.and the o-line and d-line are doing a good job so far,thats the the reason the chiefs are 3-0,did you see afc playbook this week.On a runnig play ,they showed the blocking,wide receivers and everyone are getting good blocks, i was impressed!!!!!!

Jerm
10-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Who the fack is "Terez Paylor"....?

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-02-2010, 11:08 PM
I hope the bikes have Ryan O'Callghan's ass imprint on them by the end of the season.

I never want to see that useless bastard on the field again.

This.

Awesome.

FAX

Yes it is, Mr. FAX. Yes it is.:clap:

Fish
10-03-2010, 01:01 AM

Lilja has been at right guard since his rookie year. And I thought he played right guard as KSU as well...

DaneMcCloud
10-03-2010, 01:42 AM
Lilja has been at right guard since his rookie year. And I thought he played right guard as KSU as well...

Dude, he was their left guard.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2010/3/8/1363252/colts-cut-starting-lg-ryan-lilja

This season is the first time he's ever played on the right.

And he's performing at a much higher level than I ever imagined.

Jake Scott was the Colts right guard until 2008, when he signed with the Titans.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-03-2010, 08:57 AM

He's young, showed much improvement, let him continue to develop. I have no problem if they stick with Richardson going foward.

milkman
10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
He's young, showed much improvement, let him continue to develop. I have no problem if they stick with Richardson going foward.

The following post is not directed specifically to the quoted post.
The quoted post is simply a point of reference.

To that end.....

If you have been paying any attention, you would see Richardson's growth in the position even in just these 3 games.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-03-2010, 10:17 AM
The following post is not directed specifically to the quoted post.
The quoted post is simply a point of reference.

To that end.....

If you have been paying any attention, you would see Richardson's growth in the position even in just these 3 games.

Absolutely.