PDA

View Full Version : QB Ricky Stanzi, Iowa

Direckshun
10-04-2010, 09:55 AM
I am really, really, really liking this guy. I bet Pioli does, too, with as much as Pioli scouts Iowa.

Limited physical gifts, but incredibly football IQ, and a very, very accurate passer.

Game manager, yes, but that's what Pioli likes.

Thoughts from any Iowa fans?

Mecca
10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
He's also really injury prone...

veist
10-05-2010, 10:54 PM
He's injury prone, he's got a bad habit of throwing picks, and he's a career sub 60% completion percentage guy. Doesn't really profile very well if you ask me.

BWillie
10-05-2010, 11:06 PM
I am really, really, really liking this guy. I bet Pioli does, too, with as much as Pioli scouts Iowa.

Limited physical gifts, but incredibly football IQ, and a very, very accurate passer.

His arm strength is better than people give him credit for. He usually throws the ball w/ alot of touch on it when he knows he's not going to have any issues getting it to them. He throws a good deep ball actually, but my lord does he does make some dumb throws. If he continues improve upon his brain farts and putting up good #'s he could get up to the 4th round I would imagine.

I would not be opposed if the Chiefs took a flyer on him in the 6th round or something. Ricky Stanzi's personality though is a perfect fit for KC. He would instantly become a fan favorite.

Johnny Vegas
04-30-2011, 06:20 PM
good call :D

vailpass
04-30-2011, 06:40 PM
His arm strength is better than people give him credit for. He usually throws the ball w/ alot of touch on it when he knows he's not going to have any issues getting it to them. He throws a good deep ball actually, but my lord does he does make some dumb throws. If he continues improve upon his brain farts and putting up good #'s he could get up to the 4th round I would imagine.

I would not be opposed if the Chiefs took a flyer on him in the 6th round or something. Ricky Stanzi's personality though is a perfect fit for KC. He would instantly become a fan favorite.

Nice. Hope Ricky grows into the role and those WTF!!! moments we all associate with him get fewer and farther between.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-30-2011, 07:42 PM
He's had trouble jerking off the livestock !

OskaloosaChief
05-01-2011, 01:07 PM
He's injury prone? I've watched every Iowa game he's played in and the only time I remember him getting hurt was when the Hawks were 9-0 in 2009 and ranked #3 and he got his leg twisted under him against NW on a roll-out. Would have injured anyone and I cringed when I saw the replay. He came back to play in the bowl game that year. No injuries other than that. Mel Kiper just picked him as the QB drafted this year to have the best career and to be starting in 2-3 years. I agree.

notorious
05-01-2011, 05:31 PM
He's injury prone, he's got a bad habit of throwing picks, and he's a career sub 60% completion percentage guy. Doesn't really profile very well if you ask me.

Are we talking about Croyle or Stanzi?

aturnis
05-01-2011, 10:34 PM
He's also really injury prone...

Where do you come up with this shit?

aturnis
05-01-2011, 10:43 PM
He's injury prone? I've watched every Iowa game he's played in and the only time I remember him getting hurt was when the Hawks were 9-0 in 2009 and ranked #3 and he got his leg twisted under him against NW on a roll-out. Would have injured anyone and I cringed when I saw the replay. He came back to play in the bowl game that year. No injuries other than that. Mel Kiper just picked him as the QB drafted this year to have the best career and to be starting in 2-3 years. I agree.

This would be the one that you're talking about.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N5zW-U1Wz6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

veist
05-01-2011, 11:29 PM
Are we talking about Croyle or Stanzi?

Does it matter? They both profiled as career backups, at least Stanzi was picked up in the range where he belonged. I mean look, nobody would be happier than me to be wrong but I'm not holding my breath for him to be anything more than a career backup who gets a chance to start at some point and quickly reverts back to being a career backup.

CrazyPhuD
05-02-2011, 03:48 AM
Does it matter? They both profiled as career backups, at least Stanzi was picked up in the range where he belonged. I mean look, nobody would be happier than me to be wrong but I'm not holding my breath for him to be anything more than a career backup who gets a chance to start at some point and quickly reverts back to being a career backup.

Well we have the ultimate career backup starting now so why not another one who's likely better(because really it's hard to be worse).

factortobe
05-02-2011, 06:49 AM
:kc:Good QB, outstanding character, great pick go CHIEFS!!!

mikey23545
05-02-2011, 03:39 PM
This would be the one that you're talking about.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N5zW-U1Wz6k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And if anything, I would think that clip proves his durability...

Shit, I would think that would <i>shred</i> most QB's knees...

DJ's left nut
05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Well we have the ultimate career backup starting now so why not another one who's likely better(because really it's hard to be worse).

That's pretty much my thought every time I see a pundit say "probable backup..."

That's what we're already starting, at least this one should be cheaper.

Extra Point
05-02-2011, 04:39 PM
That's pretty much my thought every time I see a pundit say "probable backup..."

That's what we're already starting, at least this one should be cheaper.

Exactly. Iowa has a pro-type offense. Looking forward to the Chiefs, beyond the Cassel era!

Does Stanzi have a hot GF to sell cars? That's the next and only question Chiefs fans must consider.

Okie_Apparition
05-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Cassel
Stanzi
Brad Smith
PS squard guy
CHAMPIONSHIP

Frankie
05-22-2011, 08:41 PM
His arm strength is better than people give him credit for. He usually throws the ball w/ alot of touch on it when he knows he's not going to have any issues getting it to them. He throws a good deep ball actually, but my lord does he does make some dumb throws.
Given all the compliments you give RS here I think I would accept that last sentence, because that's the most correctable with the right coaching. In Zorn I trust.

Frankie
05-22-2011, 08:43 PM
He's had trouble jerking off the livestock !

In what way? Accuracy or consistency? I trust your experience on this.

Frankie
05-22-2011, 08:45 PM

I never thought of him as injury prone either. I'm surprised that was mentioned.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-24-2011, 08:48 PM
I have NOTHING against the kid or his program, but at some point we have GOT to cut the horseshit and take a 1st or 2nd round pick at the position.

Frankie
05-24-2011, 09:35 PM
I have NOTHING against the kid or his program, but at some point we have GOT to cut the horseshit and take a 1st or 2nd round pick at the position.

We could not waste a 1st or a 2nd on a QB this year when we had obvious glaring holes in several areas. Plus it's not unheard of for a 6th round QB to become good. There's that guy Tom something or other as an example.

Maybe I'm being a blind homer, but I have a gut feeling that Gods of football have finally begun to lift their curse off the Chiefs. And who knows, maybe one part of that process would be Stanzi surprising everyone in a few years.

Bewbies
05-24-2011, 10:06 PM
We could not waste a 1st or a 2nd on a QB this year when we had obvious glaring holes in several areas. Plus it's not unheard of for a 6th round QB to become good. There's that guy Tom something or other as an example.

Another surefire way to get a net worth over $100,000,000 is to play PowerBall. There are several people who have done just that!

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2011, 09:51 AM

Maybe I'm being a blind homer, but I have a gut feeling that Gods of football have finally begun to lift their curse off the Chiefs. And who knows, maybe one part of that process would be Stanzi surprising everyone in a few years.

We got some depth this year, which was all I expected and hoped for. I'm saying, down the road when Crapple is gone.

Okie_Apparition
05-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Stanzi is being groomed to be the warshed up Tom Brady back up.

Frankie
05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Stanzi is being groomed to be the washed up Tom Brady back up.LMAO

I love Chiefs fans. If Stanzi was drafted by NE he'd be declared "the steal of the draft" and "the next Tom Brady" here.

keg in kc
05-25-2011, 12:20 PM
I love Chiefs fans. If Stanzi was drafted by NE he'd be declared "the steal of the draft" and "the next Tom Brady" here.I doubt it. Most of us have seen him play.

Frankie
05-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I doubt it. Most of us have seen him play.

I've seen him play too. Except for an occasional forcing the ball into an interception his game is alright. That flaw can be coached out of him with proper coaching.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Besides, the Pats probably chose the best option that far down.

Rausch
05-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Could be worse: we could have and wasted it on Tim Teabag...

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2011, 02:40 PM
Could be worse: we could have and wasted it on Tim Teabag...

Stanzi is a step up over anyone we had, I just want us to go for a premium prospect as Cassel's contract draws to a close.

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-25-2011, 02:42 PM

Good Lord I hope you're wrong.

RealSNR
05-25-2011, 04:02 PM
I have NOTHING against the kid or his program, but at some point we have GOT to cut the horseshit and take a 1st or 2nd round pick at the position.Why would we waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB when we have Tom Brady?

Sweet Daddy Hate
05-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Why would we waste a 1st or 2nd round pick on a QB when we have Tom Brady?

We do? WOO-HOO! PIOLI!

TRR
06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
FWIW, Ricky Stanzi was mentioned several times in Peter King's MMQB today on SI.com. Stanzi spent some time with Tom Brady's QB mentor recently....and Brady's mentor is unfortunately in extremely poor health.

It is definitely worth the read.
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh
06-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Stanzi is a step up over anyone we had, I just want us to go for a premium prospect as Cassel's contract draws to a close.
The timing isn't too bad really.Enough time to prepare Stanzi for a legitimate shot and if he fails move up and draft. I believe this group is capable of moving up and on to get someone if Cassel and Stanzi are not the answer.

bowener
06-14-2011, 06:48 PM
FWIW, Ricky Stanzi was mentioned several times in Peter King's MMQB today on SI.com. Stanzi spent some time with Tom Brady's QB mentor recently....and Brady's mentor is unfortunately in extremely poor health.

It is definitely worth the read.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I were a pats fan, I'd be trying to find out if I could donate a kidney to Tom's mentor. It would be a great thing to do as a human, and you'd get to be best buds with Brady too.

Hell, I might do it!

talastan
06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/28433/breaking-down-ricky-stanzi

Breaking down Ricky Stanzi
June, 20, 2011 Jun 208:15PM By Bill Williamson
Prior to the April draft, I spoke to Steve Muench of Scouts Inc. about the quarterback prospects available.

Muench said one of his favorite prospects available was Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi. Muench had Stanzi rated as a third-round pick. Stanzi was a fifth-round pick by the Kansas City Chiefs, and Muench thinks they got a steal. Muench said he thinks Stanzi is a great fit for the Chiefs’ offense and he thinks he will benefit from the tutoring of Todd Haley and Jim Zorn.

Steve Muench of Scouts Inc. thinks the Chiefs got a steal by landing Ricky Stanzi in the fifth round.Muench said he thinks Stanzi will be ready to take over the an NFL offense in the 2013 season if the Chiefs want to move away from Matt Cassel. Muench broke down the key reason why he thinks Stanzi will excel in the NFL.

Pocket Mobility: “He is not overly nimble, but he does move well in the pocket. Moving in the pocket is more important than being able to scramble, I think he can throw on the run and he rolls out both to the left and to the right. He sees the field well and he is good at avoiding the rush.”

He’s accurate: “He can have problems with arm strength, but he is accurate. He delivers tight passes and he is accurate on the run.”

He has room to grow: “Stanzi is 6-foot-4, 223 pounds. When I saw him at the Senior Bowl, I immediately thought he was underdeveloped physically, I think there is a lot of room on his frame to get stronger. That will help his arm strength. I think he can get more zip on his ball. I don’t think this kid has reached his peak.”

Muench knows Stanzi had a reputation at Iowa in 2010 of fading late in games. But Stanzi said he thought that might have been a product of not playing with a great supporting cast and he noted that Stanzi’s numbers improved the past two years. He said Stanzi had 16 red-zone touchdown passes and no interceptions in 2010.

“I really like him,” Muench said. “I think the Chiefs got a really good player. I liked him better than some of the quarterbacks who were taken much higher than he was.”

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 10:34 AM
The pressure is on, Mr Ricky Stanzi. You better be the next training camp Casey Printers, or get the **** out!

Gadzooks
06-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Here are my top 10 observations on Stanzi from a Chargers fan perspective:
1. Does not have a big arm.
2. He's often late on deep throws that have resulted in batted balls, incompletions and interceptions.
3. He's 1" shoter than Papa Smurf.
4. He's struggled against zone coverage.
5. He has problems throwing to his left.
6. He's got a hitch up step.
7. Pauses at the top of his five step drops right before he releases the football giving defensive backs more time to break on throws.
8. Has heavy feet in the pocket when he sets up to throw.
9. The biggest problem Stanzi will have is overcoming the influence of a loser like Castle being his mentor.
10. Ghey. Name rhymes with Pansy

BTW - I'm on the top of Draft Planet!!!11!!!

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 05:00 PM
It's RS, like Camaro Rally Sport
Studebaker likes this kid's moxie

Gadzooks
06-21-2011, 05:14 PM
It's RS, like Camaro Rally Sport
Studebaker likes this kid's moxie

Take this crap to the Kaepernick thread.

Frankie
06-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Chargers have fans?!

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Take this crap to the Kaepernick thread.

I wouldn't click on the Kaepernick thread with your mouse

Okie_Apparition
06-21-2011, 06:22 PM
Chargers have fans?!

It's court mandated community service served by Raiders fans

Gadzooks
06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Chargers have fans?!

Yes there are dozens of us and we can't be stopped!

BTW - I thought my last 2 observations were quite insightful from an outsider looking in.

Frankie
06-21-2011, 09:26 PM
It's court mandated community service served by Raiders fans

LMAO

Very good.

Okie_Apparition
06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Give this motherfucker a jersey # already :cuss:

Extra Point
06-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Give this mother****er a jersey # already :cuss:

No shit! It's Ricky Fuckin' Stanzi, people!!!!!

BossChief
06-22-2011, 08:29 PM
Stanzi will be #12 and the Brady comparisons will continue.

Frankie
06-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Stanzi will be #12 and the Brady comparisons will continue.

What comparison? Brady isn't even in Stanzi's league.

durtyrute
06-22-2011, 08:47 PM
1. Does not have a big arm.
2. He's often late on deep throws that have resulted in batted balls, incompletions and interceptions.
3. He's 1" shoter than Papa Smurf.
4. He's struggled against zone coverage.
5. He has problems throwing to his left.
6. He's got a hitch up step.
7. Pauses at the top of his five step drops right before he releases the football giving defensive backs more time to break on throws.
8. Has heavy feet in the pocket when he sets up to throw.
9. The biggest problem Stanzi will have is overcoming the influence of a loser like Castle being his mentor.
10. Ghey. Name rhymes with Pansy

BTW - I'm on the top of Draft Planet!!!11!!!

And heres mine.....FUCK OFF CHARGER ....:p

RealSNR
06-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Stanzi will be #12 and the Brady comparisons will continue.What if for some bizarre reason Pioli re-signs Croyle?

spanky 52
06-23-2011, 03:52 AM
What if for some bizarre reason Pioli re-signs Croyle?

Talk about a meltdown. This place would go nuts. The Chief's are going to have to spend some money in the new CBA. I'd hope they'd at least get a backup QB who hasn't pissed down his leg when put in a game.

rocknrolla
06-24-2011, 03:48 PM

YOU SHUT YOUR F***ING PIE HOLE!

Okie_Apparition
06-24-2011, 04:56 PM
They're converting Croyle to longsnapper

Crush
06-30-2011, 07:58 PM

What if for some bizarre reason your whore mouth contracts antifreeze-infused AIDS?

talastan
07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
What if for some bizarre reason your whore mouth contracts antifreeze-infused AIDS while you are in a forest fire.

FYP

Okie_Apparition
07-02-2011, 07:18 PM
How does Mr Stanzi feel about the Star Spangled Banner being altered to home of the CHIEFS?
Will all in attendence be brought on the field & skull fucked?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-02-2011, 07:24 PM
How does Mr Stanzi feel about the Star Spangled Banner being altered to home of the CHIEFS?
Will all in attendence be brought on the field & skull fucked?

LMAO

He will feel pride, power, unmeasurable amounts of burning energy, and the desire to OBLITERATE our opponents.*

*Or he will take his corn-fed ass back to Iowa on the first plane out.

Okie_Apparition
07-12-2011, 05:49 PM
The Governor's Cup is the third preseason game at Arrowhead. When they send Stanzi in to finish the game & maintain the win. I hope they play Steely Dan "Ricky don't lose that number." After America the Beautiful, of course..duh

kysirsoze
07-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Stanzi is the future of the Chiefs and as such should have the reigning thread on Draft Planet.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Stanzi is the future of the Chiefs and as such should have the reigning thread on Draft Planet.

He might be, but I'm still not planting the "Future Flag" until it comes wrapped in round 1 or 2-high.

Okie_Apparition
07-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Getting in better shape for camp. Stanzi will be jogging to St Joe from Iowa. While pulling a U-Haul trailer tethered to his _______.

Frankie
07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Getting in better shape for camp. Stanzi will be jogging to St Joe from Iowa. While pulling a U-Haul trailer tethered to his _______.

Nutts? :shrug:

Dave Lane
07-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Hmmmm filter evasion? Not sure here. Anyone else? :p

RealSNR
07-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Dumb Dora is so dumb

HOW DUMB IS SHE?

She's so dumb that when she watched the Chiefs traded for Cassel, she got really excited and said, "That QB is the brightest hope for the team's future since ______"

Frankie
07-24-2011, 04:38 PM
Dumb Dora is so dumb

HOW DUMB IS SHE?

She's so dumb that when she watched the Chiefs traded for Cassel, she got really excited and said, "That QB is the brightest hope for the team's future since ______"

Nutts? :shrug:

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Dumb Dora is so dumb

HOW DUMB IS SHE?

Grbac!

RealSNR
07-25-2011, 11:36 AM
Grbac!You truly are the Brett Summers of ChiefsPlanet

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-25-2011, 11:52 AM
You truly are the Brett Summers of ChiefsPlanet

Surely someone was excited for Grbac.

Fat Elvis
07-26-2011, 10:15 AM
You truly are the Brett Summers of ChiefsPlanet

I was thinking more along the lines of Charles Nelson Riley....

Beef Supreme
07-31-2011, 10:07 AM
Dumb Dora is so dumb

HOW DUMB IS SHE?

Todd Blackledge

Okie_Apparition
08-07-2011, 01:59 PM
braided taint hairs

Okie_Apparition
08-25-2011, 11:39 AM
Stanzi is going to Rick Roll the NFL
Fuck Yeah!

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Dick "Mojo" Stanzi:

QBOTF.