PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs confident they can compete with Colts

Tribal Warfare
10-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Improved Chiefs’ defense to get its shot against Peyton Manning and the Colts (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/04/2276698/improved-chiefs-defense-to-get.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Eric Berry will face Peyton Manning for the first time in his NFL career on Sunday when the Chiefs play the Colts in Indianapolis.

But the rookie safety is already familiar with the veteran quarterback’s moves. Manning would occasionally return to his alma mater at Tennessee during the off-season to play seven-on-seven games with Berry and some of his Volunteer teammates.

Berry said he learned at least one valuable lesson from Manning that he will put to use Sunday.

“Don’t bite,’’ Berry said, “on the pump fake.’’

It was laughable to think the last couple of seasons that the Chiefs could have success dealing with Manning and his fakes and his ability, but not so much this year. The Chiefs are among the NFL’s top 10 in many significant defensive statistical categories and second in fewest points allowed, though they’ve built those numbers mostly against offensive opponents inferior to Manning and the Colts.

At the very least, the Chiefs have reason to believe they can compete with the Colts.

“We’ll see,’’ linebacker Derrick Johnson said. “It’s going to come up quick. I hope so. I’m confident in our ability.’’

The Colts are 2-2 after Sunday’s 31-28 loss to Jacksonville. They’re in the unfamiliar position of having a worse record than the 3-0 Chiefs.

That’s no fault of Manning’s. He leads the league with 11 touchdown passes, with 1,365 yards and just one interception.

“Peyton keeps a lot of defensive players up at night,’’ Johnson said. “Best quarterback in the league. Tremendous arm. Smart guy. Doesn’t make many mistakes. When he does make mistakes, we have to capitalize off it. If not, there’s not going to be any chances for us to get anything done.’’

Pass defense has been the Chiefs’ weak area. The Chiefs have occasionally appeared confused in the secondary and allowed 11 pass plays of 20 yards or more.

That’s a weakness Manning will exploit if the Chiefs don’t make the necessary corrections.

“I have a hard time pinning it down, although I will say communication is very important to us and something we must do especially with the teams we’re playing and their multiple formations sets and people in different spots at different times,’’ coach Todd Haley said. “You have to be able to communicate, and part of this past week was some of that.

“The (point) I made to our coaches last week was that communication was what I wanted to focus on defensively and try to create more communicators.’’

The Chiefs can take hope from a suddenly vigorous pass rush, which produced five sacks in Kansas City’s last game, a 31-10 win over San Francisco. Their run defense has been consistently strong, with the Chiefs allowing just 3.2 yards per carry.

A defensive revival seemed unlikely so early in the season given that Berry and fellow safety Kendrick Lewis are the only significant new playing pieces. New defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel appears to be making a difference, but the biggest reason for defensive improvement is that many players have made dramatic individual strides.

Johnson, fellow inside linebacker Jovan Belcher, cornerback Brandon Flowers and defensive lineman Glenn Dorsey are leaders on that list. Johnson leads the Chiefs in tackles while Belcher is third. Flowers has two interceptions, and his touchdown allowed the Chiefs to overcome a sluggish offense and win in Cleveland last month. Dorsey is a big reason the Chiefs are playing well against the run.

“I’m not going to get into comparing all the guys,’’ Haley said. “Because of the result, I’m happy with the way everybody is playing. At the same time, I understand we need to make improvement in a number of different areas.

“You’ve got to develop the players you have, and that development has been going on now for a year and a half or wherever we are in that process. We’ve had some clear development by players.’’

Foremost is Johnson, a former first-round draft pick who would only occasionally play like one. That’s changed this season.

“I think I’ve been consistent mentally and physically out there, and that’s a good thing for me,’’ Johnson said. “I’m just trying to make sure I stay healthy so I can be there for my teammates. I’m doing the things I need to do during the week.’’

<hr class="infobox-hr-separator"> The Chiefs and Colts have seen a lot of each other in the past 15 years. Although the Colts have had an overwhelming advantage in wins, the Chiefs say they have reason to believe they can compete on Sunday. 1995 divisional playoff
L 10-7
1996 regular season
L 24-19
1999 regular season
L 25-17
2000 regular season
L 27-14
2001 regular season
L 35-28
2003 divisional playoff
L 38-31
2004 regular season
W 45-35
2006 wild-card playoff
L 23-8
2007 regular season
L 13-10
<div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Hammock Parties
10-04-2010, 11:00 PM
One fucking win in 15 years.

Fuck the Colts.

RealSNR
10-04-2010, 11:18 PM
BRING ME THE TESTICLES OF JEFF SATURDAY, SHAUN SMITH!

SLAG
10-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Lilja snuck the playbook in his jock on his way out

tyler360
10-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Fuck competing. I want a win to prove we are legit. No more moral victories.

CaliforniaChief
10-04-2010, 11:31 PM
The one time they actually are going to show them on CBS here in Southern California, and I'll be at the NASCAR race. Grrrrrrrrr.

BryanBusby
10-04-2010, 11:34 PM
haha sucker

Goldmember
10-04-2010, 11:42 PM
haha sucker

DVR is your friend. You're lucky, they're showing the Donkeys in NoCal. :cuss:

Direckshun
10-04-2010, 11:54 PM

LMAO

johnny961
10-05-2010, 03:14 AM

ROFL How bout Manning's 'nads instead??:evil:

michaelj_58
10-05-2010, 03:38 AM
we are going to need the special teams and everyone in this one,but i do feel like we have a chance to win.

LaChapelle
10-05-2010, 04:58 AM
If after beating Denver in their own house on his first try
Haley beats the buzzard bellies in their house on the first try
They will erect a never ending statue of him in bacon

milkman
10-05-2010, 06:12 AM
The one time they actually are going to show them on CBS here in Southern California, and I'll be at the NASCAR race. Grrrrrrrrr.

If you miss the biggest game of the season to this point for your favorite football team because you go out to watch neck car, you might be a redneck.

InChiefsHeaven
10-05-2010, 06:30 AM

Dude skip it. I'll give you a preview...it'll be a bunch of rednecks continuously taking left hand turns...for a few hours. Occasionally, they might crash. Then they go back to endlessly taking left had turns.

KC Jones
10-05-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm afraid this is going to be a nasty reality check. Our D didn't stop Phillis Rivers so much as the weather did. SF & Cleveland have shitty passing offenses. I doubt we can get enough pressure on Peyton to get him off his game, and I doubt Cassel can take advantage of their problems in the secondary. I'd love to be eating crow come Monday, but just don't see this one going our way. Could be the quickness we have w/ JC, McCluster, and Arenas will explode on the turf and cause some breakout scoring.

Extra Point
10-05-2010, 06:59 AM
I'm afraid this is going to be a nasty reality check. Our D didn't stop Phillis Rivers so much as the weather did. SF & Cleveland have shitty passing offenses. I doubt we can get enough pressure on Peyton to get him off his game, and I doubt Cassel can take advantage of their problems in the secondary. I'd love to be eating crow come Monday, but just don't see this one going our way. Could be the quickness we have w/ JC, McCluster, and Arenas will explode on the turf and cause some breakout scoring.

Rep!

Heddley gets a harumph!

milkman
10-05-2010, 07:09 AM

You don't stop elite QBs.

You limit their big plays.

Chiefs can run the ball down the Colts throats, control the clock and keep Manning off the field.

The Texans gave up 430 yards to Manning in their win, but they made him keep everything short.
The Jags gave up 350 yards, but did the same thing.

You don't go into a game against Manning thinking you have to stop him.

You simply try to keep him from making big plays repeatedly.

notorious
10-05-2010, 07:09 AM

Perhaps, but I don't think that our Defense will be the problem.

Indy is going to stack the box and make Cassel win the game.

Cassel trying to win the game = :facepalm:

KC Jones
10-05-2010, 07:12 AM
You simply try to keep him from making big plays repeatedly.

I agree with everything you said. I don't think we can contain Manning though. Just the youth at safety is likely good for 2-3 big scoring plays from Manning.

milkman
10-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Weis might want to open the game with a play action pass, something to Moeaki over the short middle to give Indy something to think about, and also to establish some confidence early for Cassel.

milkman
10-05-2010, 07:15 AM
I agree with everything you said. I don't think we can contain Manning though. Just the youth at safety is likely good for 2-3 big scoring plays from Manning.

Crennel has done a better job of scheming against Manning than any DC who has ever worked against him.

Expect a lot of two deep zones, with Hali dropping in coverage more than we're used to seeing and DJ or Belcher blitzing straight up the gut, effectively a zone blitz in a 34.

milkman
10-05-2010, 07:18 AM
And since the Colts running game is pretty ineffective, Crennel's instructions to Berry is going ot be to stay back and let the front 7 play the run.

notorious
10-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Weis might want to open the game with a play action pass, something to Moeaki over the short middle to give Indy something to think about, and also to establish some confidence early for Cassel.

A seam pass to the TE would be beautiful, but we have to threaten them deep before that play opens up.

I have faith in this coaching staff. They own Indy, and there isn't a huge difference in player talent anymore (except for QB).

Punch em' in the mouth. Peyton reacts negatively towards that.

milkman
10-05-2010, 07:34 AM
A seam pass to the TE would be beautiful, but we have to threaten them deep before that play opens up.

I have faith in this coaching staff. They own Indy, and there isn't a huge difference in player talent anymore (except for QB).

Punch em' in the mouth. Peyton reacts negatively towards that.

That's why I think we'll see DJ and Belcher coming from the inside on a number of plays.

wheeler08
10-05-2010, 07:48 AM
I finally get to see a game on tv, since i live in Indy

Hydrae
10-05-2010, 09:13 AM
That's why I think we'll see DJ and Belcher coming from the inside on a number of plays.

We may see more of Demorrio too.

Tribal Warfare
10-05-2010, 09:43 AM

I'm going to say this the opposition has film of Cassel having a bad game and a "good game" this season under Weis' tutelage . It will very interesting how they'll gameplan against him through out the season now.

Knob
10-05-2010, 11:13 AM
This is the game where Berry will shine. 2 INTs one back for a TD. Chiefs will win and a chiefsplanet poster will have to fullfill his debt and suck his own cock.

Sully
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
No real point to this, but didn't want to start a new thread...
I thought it it was very interesting that the Mannings won't even start learning their hand signals till after the final cutdown, and even then, won't teach them to the practice squad players.
I had always wondered how the "secrets" had never gotten out.

FAX
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm going to say this the opposition has film of Cassel having a bad game and a "good game" this season under Weis' tutelage . It will very interesting how they'll gameplan against him through out the season now.

I think the gameplan to beat Mark Castle is for the DBs to run around wildly in concentric circles and figure eights about 8 to 10 yards off the LOS. He's bound to get confused and throw it to one of them.

FAX