PDA

View Full Version : Football Report: Vikes 'very close' to Randy Moss deal

Pages : [1] 2

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Report: Vikes 'very close' to Randy Moss deal

Moss
Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Vikings are "very close" to acquiring Randy Moss from the Patriots.
Oct. 5 - 7:56 pm et
Source: Jay Glazer on Twitter

Yes, vikes and pats have been working on trade that sends randy moss to vikes and r very clode but can't be done until vikes and moss work out new contract, whcih they r working on
Jay_Glazer via UberTwitter

Randy Moss-WR-Patriots Oct. 5 - 7:56 pm et

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer reports the Vikings are "very close" to acquiring Randy Moss from the Patriots.
How's that for a shocker? Per CSN New England's Tom Curran, the Pats' compensation is "rumored" to be a third-rounder. Multiple reports are now emerging to corroborate. The deal can't be finalized until the Vikings work out a new contract for Moss, which Glazer says the sides are currently addressing. Brett Favre has long pined for deep threat Moss as a teammate. It looks like he's going to get his wish, putting to rest speculation that he could walk away later this season if the Vikes don't turn it around.

RapSheet

BREAKING: After Week 1, Randy Moss had his agent Joel Segal call Bill Belichick and ask for a trade, The Herald's Karen Guregian has learned 21 minutes ago via TweetDeck

FRCDFED
10-05-2010, 06:08 PM
In exchange for what? Does NE think that Tate is ready to fill Moss' shoes?

-King-
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
NO! NO! NO! NO!

I hope this doesn't happen.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
:spock:

I guess they must be tired of him. Welcome to triple coverage, Wes Welker.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2010, 06:11 PM
This is epic drama.

Hammock Parties
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Favre is jerking off.

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 06:12 PM
I hope this happens, Brady doesn't even fucking look at Moss anymore (fantasy WR)

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 06:14 PM
Yes, vikes and pats have been working on trade that sends randy moss to vikes and r very clode but can't be done until vikes and moss work out new contract, whcih they r working on
Jay_Glazer via UberTwitter

Basileus777
Interesting. If the Vikes are desperate enough to give up a first or second rounder....they should definitely do it. Moss' real value to the Pats is as a decoy anyway, he's clearly not the player he used to be. And he's not going to be there next year.

-King-
Yes, vikes and pats have been working on trade that sends randy moss to vikes and r very clode but can't be done ... http://tmi.me/1ZOLV 18 minutes ago via ÜberTwitter

And I guess Glazer is trying to feud with Adam Schefter.

DaneMcCloud
Wow.

PRIEST
Favre is jerking off.

This

ROFL

milkman
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Moss quit o the Patriots in a game last year.
He quit on them for a couple of games in '08 when he lost confidence in Cassel, until they adjusted to more shotgun spread on offense.

So, yes, Hamas, I think the Pats are tired of him.

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Interesting. If the Vikes are desperate enough to give up a first rounder....they should definitely do it. Moss' real value to the Pats is as a decoy anyway, he's clearly not the player he used to be. And he's not going to be there next year.

First rounder?

Moss is in a contract year. If the Vikings give up anything more than a third rounder, they're dumb.

Plus, who's gonna throw to Randy next year? Jackson? A draftee?

That'll go ever well.

:rolleyes:

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 06:17 PM
First rounder?

Moss is in a contract year. If the Vikings give up anything more than a third rounder, they're dumb.

That'll go ever well.

Moss wants to get paid. But yeah, I doubt even Minnesota is that desperate.

Sure-Oz
Randy Moss-WR-Patriots Oct. 5 - 7:56 pm et

How's that for a shocker? Per CSN New England's Tom Curran, the Pats' compensation is "rumored" to be a third-rounder. Multiple reports are now emerging to corroborate. The deal can't be finalized until the Vikings work out a new contract for Moss, which Glazer says the sides are currently addressing. Brett Favre has long pined for deep threat Moss as a teammate. It looks like he's going to get his wish, putting to rest speculation that he could walk away later this season if the Vikes don't turn it around.

WhitiE
go edelman!

Jim Jones
10-05-2010, 06:18 PM
The Patriots are some seriously cheap bastards - do they not want to win games anymore?

I don't care if Moss hasn't gone off yet this year - their entire passing game is successful because of the attention he receives from opposing defenses. Take him out and their offense is gonna look like ass.

Please do this New England - one less team we have to worry about in the AFC.

Sure-Oz
Moss had a whopping 1 target and i believe a total of 4 the last 2 games...he had 2 tds the last game though and dropped 1 td last night

-King-
2nd part of "Win now" mode for the Vikings. Didn't work last year and won't work this year and is further setting them back in the future.

Basileus777
A third rounder is too little. Moss is still worth more than that to the Pats...

The Pats already have Oakland's first and Carolina's 2nd. Another third isn't worth shit to them.

10-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Favre is jerking off.

Carefully, he doesnt want to injure his shoulder.

cdcox
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Vikings are a turning into a slightly better version of the Redskins.

'Hamas' Jenkins
This is a long term move by New England. That said, the AFC is wide open, they are 3-1, and trading the guy who causes every team to run a bracket coverage against you, regardless of his own production, seems a bit confusing.

DaneMcCloud
A third rounder is too little. Moss is still worth more than that to the Pats...

I don't think so but we'll see.

The Pats already have two firsts next year and I'll bet they'd love to have two three's.

Shogun
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Glazer sounds drunk as fuck

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Did anyone happen to notice the performance of the 2009 #34 pick overall of the Patriots last night?

How'd they get that pick again?

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 06:23 PM
This is a long term move by New England. That said, the AFC is wide open, they are 3-1, and trading the guy who causes every team to run a bracket coverage against you, regardless of his own production, seems a bit confusing.

Unless Moss has become a huge locker room problem, I don't get why you'd get rid of him when the AFC is wide open. That defense probably isn't ready for a title run, but giving up a year of Brady's prime for a 3rd rounder is....

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Did anyone happen to notice the performance of the 2009 #34 pick overall of the Patriots last night?

How'd they get that pick again?

2nd rounders aren't important, Dane.

milkman
10-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I think it's another bad move by the Vikings in an attempt to win now.

I've always believed bringing in players in their twilight years, guys with only two or three seasons left, to win now is a bad idea.

When building a team you should always have an eye to the future as well as an eye on the present.

Brett Favre and Randy Moss are not a part of the future, and if they don't win now, they will still have those holes on their roster to address when those guys are gone.

But they will have a heathy Sydney Rice, so that isn't as painful to Moss in just a couple of years, but who ya got when Favre retires?

Kyle DeLexus
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM

The Pats already have Oakland's first and Carolina's 2nd. Another third isn't worth shit to them.

BB will turn that 3rd into a 2nd or a 1st in a later draft.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/07G23zMGa4g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/07G23zMGa4g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

God, I love this interview.

Reaper16
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Glazer didn't mean to say "very cload." He meant to say "very choade."

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
BB will turn that 3rd into a 2nd or a 1st in a later draft.

He'll keep trading it until the pick is used after Brady's retired.

Kyle DeLexus
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
He'll keep trading it until the pick is used after Brady's retired.

And at that point it'll be high enough to get a franchise QB. One year of moss for a franchise QB :)

Halfcan
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
for a 3rd rounder?? What a steal. Moss is an ass-but still has a few miles left.

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

I've always believed bringing in players in their twilight years, guys with only two or three seasons left, to win now is a bad idea.

When building a team you should always have an eye to the future as well as an eye on the present.

Brett Favre and Randy Moss are not a part of the future, and if they don't win now, they will still have those holes on their roster to address when those guys are gone.

But they will have a heathy Sydney Rice, so that isn't as painful to Moss in just a couple of years, but who ya got when Favre retires?

That franchise has already gone all in with Favre. Another 3rd rounder is just one last desperate move.

I'm more ambivalent with the Pats though. I can easily see how a year of Moss when Brady is still playing at a high level is more valuable than a 3rd rounder.

ChiefsCountry
10-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Say hello to AJ Green or Julio Jones or Jonathan Baldwin as a Patriot next year.

ChiefsCountry
10-05-2010, 06:29 PM

For all the asshats who think QB is the last piece of the puzzle, see Minnesota for an example that its not. You build around the QB not the other way around.

RealSNR
10-05-2010, 06:30 PM
This better jack up Moss's value in fantasy or I'm going to cut somebody.

BWillie
First rounder?

That'll go ever well.

Not if they think they can win now...I mean I wouldn't do it, but I can see their reasoning

tk13
You think it would be a big blow... but then again the Pats did win 3 Super Bowls without Moss. No real superstar skill players, just good depth at WR and TE.

Vikings just seem so desperate and at the end of their rope. I don't know how many teams that has worked out for.

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
There's little point in comparing the Pats to their early 2000s counterparts. They have one of the worst defenses in the league, they aren't going to win a title with that old formula anytime soon.

ChiefsCountry
10-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Pats still have Brady so they got a shot, but the Jets are going to dominate the AFC East this decade.

DeezNutz
10-05-2010, 06:33 PM

I have no idea why NE would be interested in a second or third rounder because these picks have less than a 5% chance of being worth a fuck. Really, they're basically pointless.

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 06:35 PM
You get Rice back with Moss, the Vikes are dangerous...if i were a Vike fan i'd want this deal too....they had last year as a SB window and still can do it this year.....how many dots can put in this post..........

Basileus777
I have no idea why NE would be interested in a second or third rounder because these picks have less than a 5% chance of being worth a fuck. Really, they're basically pointless.

Stop with the strawmen. The Pats aren't a rebuilding team. There's nothing controversial about the idea that a year of Moss during Brady's prime is worth more than a 3rd round pick.

Buck
Well I wonder if this will help Minnesota's offense or if Favre will still suck.

tk13
10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
For all the asshats who think QB is the last piece of the puzzle, see Minnesota for an example that its not. You build around the QB not the other way around.

You are right, but I don't think the Vikings are your best example there. They did it just like we are doing it. They built a great team, top, top notch run defense, killer running game, a playoff team... Spielman's philosophy in the draft was all about drafting "playmakers." They were just missing one final piece.

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
RapSheet

BREAKING: After Week 1, Randy Moss had his agent Joel Segal call Bill Belichick and ask for a trade, The Herald's Karen Guregian has learned 21 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Delano
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Well I wonder if this will help Minnesota's offense or if Favre will still suck.

They could use a bit of help on the line.
Posted via Mobile Device

Titty Meat
10-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Lets trade Chris Chambers for him.

MahiMike
10-05-2010, 06:39 PM

It makes sense. Look at how much $ they have invested in Favre. If they don't win it all, it's worthless. They have a 1 yr window.

cdcox
10-05-2010, 06:40 PM

Still suck.

The Bad Guy
10-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Fantasy gold for Moss owners. He gets to skip a bye week as well.

I think Welker gets targeted about 20 times a game now. I don't think you can really triple cover a slot guy, but we'll see.

Pioli Zombie
10-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Did anyone see the look on his face last night? His team is up 41-14 and he's thinking about his "touches". He hasn't been playing this season. He's gone anyway. A third round pick is a good deal. The Patriots aren't a SB team this season by any means.

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Fantasy gold for Moss owners. He gets to skip a bye week as well.

To play against the Jets and Revis again. Not much of a benefit there.

milkman
You are right, but I don't think the Vikings are your best example there. They did it just like we are doing it. They built a great team, top, top notch run defense, killer running game, a playoff team... Spielman's philosophy in the draft was all about drafting "playmakers." They were just missing one final piece.

I think his point is that they built a SB calibre team without a QB.

If you're bad team, you do whatever is necessary to address QB to build around.

Sure-Oz
Did anyone see the look on his face last night? His team is up 41-14 and he's thinking about his "touches". He hasn't been playing this season. He's gone anyway. A third round pick is a good deal. The Patriots aren't a SB team this season by any means.

Thats the face i had last night after he had zero catches, he wasn't apart of the game plan, you could tell something had to give soon.

cdcox

But the defense didn't really live up to the reputations of the individual players last season and aren't really outstanding this season either. A lot of names and a lot of money, but not much production.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Suddenly, the gameplan going away from Moss last night makes more sense. Not really a surprise. BB is pretty much done with Moss anyways.

milkman
10-05-2010, 06:45 PM
It makes sense. Look at how much $ they have invested in Favre. If they don't win it all, it's worthless. They have a 1 yr window.

The problem is, if they don't win it now, they make it more difficult to win it later before the pieces they have get old.

Pioli Zombie
10-05-2010, 06:46 PM
And as a Moss fantasy owner I am thrilled. He will play great for the rest of the year.

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 06:46 PM
The problem is, if they don't win it now, they make it more difficult to win it later before the pieces they have get old.

Their pieces are already too old. Last year was their last shot, and they fumbled it away.

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Would you be upset if you were a vikes fan that they try this? I'd think it has to be worth it at this point esp with the money invested bringing favre back. They might be a diff team if Rice never got hurt

teedubya
10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Maybe in a year or so, we can trade a 3rd for Jared Allen.

DeezNutz
10-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Stop with the strawmen. The Pats aren't a rebuilding team. There's nothing controversial about the idea that a year of Moss during Brady's prime is worth more than a 3rd round pick.

LMAO. LMAO. LMAO.

You might want to know what you're talking about first.

MahiMike
10-05-2010, 06:49 PM
And as a Moss fantasy owner I am thrilled. He will play great for the rest of the year.

Same here.:clap:

milkman
10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Would you be upset if you were a vikes fan that they try this? I'd think it has to be worth it at this point esp with the money invested bringing favre back. They might be a diff team if Rice never got hurt

Were I a Viking fan, I would be upset that they brought Favre in in the first place, and yes, given how much I despise Moss' quitter attitude, I would be upset with this.

When Favre retires, the Viking SB window effectively closes.

Remember, I'm the guy that was upset that the Chiefs traded for Montana for that very reason.

Buck
10-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I know you all hate fantasy talk, but as a Wes Welker / Brett Favre owner, this is very good for me.

Dante84
10-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I own moss in Fantasy as well... this makes me nervous but i dont know why.

Fellow owners, please ease my mind.

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2010, 06:57 PM
The Pats aren't a rebuilding team.

wut

BossChief
10-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Ill bet "straight cash homie" that we got more for Tony G than they will get for Randy M.

Buck
10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Ill bet "straight cash homie" that we got more for Tony G than they will get for Randy M.

Well they originally traded a 4th round pick for him, so if they get back a 3rd, that's improvement.

BossChief
10-05-2010, 07:02 PM
I don't think they get that much, Buck. I see them breaking even at best, unless the Vikings are in "I got these cheeseburgers" mode.

CrazyPhuD
10-05-2010, 07:03 PM
ROFL I don't believe this for 1/1000th of one billionth of a second. Mainly because the vikings just aren't that dumb. There were a litany of reasons why the vikings weren't going to trade for Vincent Jackson and give him a huge new contract, considering that VJAX is about 2X the WR that Moss is at this stage the same reasons are valid X10.

The only way the vikings would do this is for a really low draft pick with no new contract for moss. Basically it's a rental that is all.

Basileus777
10-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Well they originally traded a 4th round pick for him, so if they get back a 3rd, that's improvement.

Well, I suppose that's a little better than the comp pick they'd get anyway.

Dante84
10-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Hmmm..... VJax to NE???

(I'm wondering)

The Bad Guy
10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Vincent Jackson is twice the receiver Moss is? What the fuck are you smoking?

Buck
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Hmmm..... VJax to NE???

(I'm wondering)

AJ Smith would never do that. VJax is going nowhere.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-05-2010, 07:14 PM
You think it would be a big blow... but then again the Pats did win 3 Super Bowls without Moss. No real superstar skill players, just good depth at WR and TE.

Vikings just seem so desperate and at the end of their rope. I don't know how many teams that has worked out for.

Childress knows his job is dependent on winning a Super Bowl. If they don't, he's fired. He wants to keep his job, thus this move.

Rausch
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Moss is easily worth a 2nd (depending on the team he goes to.)

He becomes a Vicking, Packer, Colt (NEVER happen,) Saint (NEVER happen,) or Charger (NEVER happen) and he'd produce like Jerry Rice.

And he'd be worth every bit a 2nd...

But those teams (minus the Vikings) have absolutely no reason to trade for him.

If traded he'd go to some total dog$3it team (see also: Raiders) and he'll flounder around while sulking and cashing checks...

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Were I a Viking fan, I would be upset that they brought Favre in in the first place, and yes, given how much I despise Moss' quitter attitude, I would be upset with this.

When Favre retires, the Viking SB window effectively closes.

Remember, I'm the guy that was upset that the Chiefs traded for Montana for that very reason.
Very true...and it is a risk, they better be damn sure it works.

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Hmmm..... VJax to NE???

(I'm wondering)

He doesn't fit the "profile".

Plus, they're loaded with draft picks. It makes more sense for them to wait until the draft to grab a receiver.

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 07:20 PM
I'd say Tate should get a major bump for fantasy gurus

Sam Hall
10-05-2010, 07:31 PM
I sent somebody this trade offer a couple days ago: I trade Randy Moss and I receive Calvin Johnson. I think the offer just got a lot more interesting.

Zaiko
10-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Favre wanted Moss back in GB years ago.. now he has him.

As a packers fan, I hope the vikings get him and pay big. Think that team has a year or two before they just completely collapse.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Favre is jerking off.

I need to bring him in!

Simply Red
10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I like Favre, I always have been a fan. I'm not going to lie, I wish I had his silverish hair.

thecoffeeguy
10-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Favre is jerking off.

ROFL

Stinger
10-05-2010, 07:39 PM
I need to bring him in!

You know he won't commit to the job and will take 3-5 months stringing you along until you find out if he is going to work.

Chiefs Pantalones
10-05-2010, 07:41 PM
I like Favre, I always have been a fan. I'm not going to lie, I wish I had his silverish hair.

platinum highlights

cdirty
10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Adam_Schefter As FOX reported, Randy Moss trade in play. Vikes-Pats talking; Vikes-Moss are not. Deal possible, but not imminent, not at 9:30 ET.

Pioli Zombie
10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
I don't get your thinking Milkman. "If they don't win it.."
The idea is to go for it while you can. What if they DO win it? Had the Chiefs won the Super Bowl with Montana would anybody give a shit about "the future"? If Favre,Moss,Rice,Harvin,and Peterson can win it in 2010 the Vikings are crazy not to go for it.

milkman
10-05-2010, 08:11 PM
The idea is to go for it while you can. What if they DO win it? Had the Chiefs won the Super Bowl with Montana would anybody give a shit about "the future"? If Favre,Moss,Rice,Harvin,and Peterson can win it in 2010 the Vikings are crazy not to go for it.

The trade for Joe Montana in and of itself wasn't a bad move.

Bringing in Favre (if you believe he will lead you to the SB, which I don't, but that's another discussion) in and of itself isn't a bad move.

However, doing nothing in concert to address the future is what pissed me off.

Montana was an aging, fragile QB.

The Chiefs needed to bring in a young QB to sit on the sidelines and learn, and to backup Montana and be ready for the day he took over the position.

Dave Kreig was not that guy.

The Vikings needed to do the same.

Tavaris Jackson is not that guy.

But it didn't happen in either case.

When Montana retired, our window effectively closed, when it should have been open for at least another 5-6 years.

When Favre actually retires, the Viking window will close.

arrowheadnation
10-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Moss is a good player, but he's no McCluster...it's all about versatility now a days :)

Bane
10-05-2010, 08:13 PM
The trade for Joe Montana in and of itself wasn't a bad move.

Bringing in Favre (if you believe he will lead you to the SB, which I don't, but that's another discussion) in and of itself isn't a bad move.

However, doing nothing in concert to address the future is what pissed me off.

Montana was an aging, fragile QB.

The Chiefs needed to bring in a young QB to sit on the sidelines and learn, and to backup Montana and be ready for the day he took over the position.

Dave Kreig was not that guy.

The Vikings needed to do the same.

Tavaris Jackson is not that guy.

But it didn't happen in either case.

When Montana retired, our window effectively closed, when it should have been open for at least another 5-6 years.

When Favre actually retires, the Viking window will close.

I agree but I guess they gave it one hell of a shot.

cdcox
10-05-2010, 08:21 PM

It's about building a team that can be very good for a very long time. If you give yourself a 3 year window, you probably walk away with zero Super Bowls. If you give yourself a 10 year window, you have a good chance of winning multiples. The first one is by far the most difficult.

It all starts with a young QB. If you have a great one, you have time to build a couple of teams during his prime. See the Elway Broncos. The Pats are building Brady's second team now. Peyton is on his second Colts team. How much more sense does it make to do it this way rather than bring in an old guy for a couple of years for a Hail Mary attempt at a SB?

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Randy Moss-WR-Patriots Oct. 5 - 10:24 pm et

According to CSN New England's Gary Tanguay, Randy Moss and coach Bill Belichick "had words" when Moss "showed up unhappy" on Tuesday.
Moss reportedly wasn't too thrilled after being shut out of the passing game. Here's where the story forks: Tom Curran, also of CSNNE, insists Moss is not disgruntled after speaking directly with him following Monday's game. "He was more engaging than I'd ever seen him," says Curran, who noted that Moss never dogged on his routes while drawing double-teams all night.
Source: Gary Tanguay on Twitter

Over-Head
10-05-2010, 09:03 PM
But how many times are we gonna have to hear,

Farve with the snap, ....drops back, there`s the throw.......Moss wide open in the back field...........he`s at the 40, the 30, the 20, he....could...go...all...the...wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
TOUCH DOWN, Minnesota Vikings.......................................

Rausch
10-05-2010, 09:24 PM
But how many times are we gonna have to hear,

Farve with the snap, ....drops back, there`s the throw.......Moss wide open in the back field...........he`s at the 40, the 30, the 20, he....could...go...all...the...wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
TOUCH DOWN, Minnesota Vikings.......................................

Never.

It's not going to happen...

keg in kc
10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
It's about building a team that can be very good for a very long time. If you give yourself a 3 year window, you probably walk away with zero Super Bowls. If you give yourself a 10 year window, you have a good chance of winning multiples. The first one is by far the most difficult.

It all starts with a young QB. If you have a great one, you have time to build a couple of teams during his prime. See the Elway Broncos. The Pats are building Brady's second team now. Peyton is on his second Colts team. How much more sense does it make to do it this way rather than bring in an old guy for a couple of years for a Hail Mary attempt at a SB?It's not like they didn't try that already with Daunte Culpepper. And they've drafted two QBs in the second round in the last 5 years.

Deberg_1990
10-05-2010, 09:42 PM

They did....Both Bono and Grbac were fairly young when they brought them over. Well, i guess Bono wasnt, but you get my point.

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 09:45 PM
Moss deal could happen tomorrow

Jerm
10-05-2010, 09:54 PM
Damn Minny must be scared shitless that Favre is headed back to the farm in Mississippi...

Peterson, Harvin, Moss, Shiancoe...yeah no excuses now Brett.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-05-2010, 09:55 PM
If they get Moss, and Brett doesn't completely shit the bed this year, he'll play again next year. He's had a hard on for much longer than 4 hours over Moss.

milkman
10-05-2010, 10:01 PM
They did....Both Bono and Grbac were fairly young when they brought them over. Well, i guess Bono wasnt, but you get my point.

Bono was a scrub, a third stringer in SF.

GrBac was 2nd stringer to Young who was brought in when Bono proved why he was a third stringer.

They didn't address the future.

They tried to emulate the 9er blueprint with backups an scrubs.

Sure-Oz
10-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Don't forget Rice as well...Favre's #'s should go way up with Moss and Rice coming back maybe in a few weeks

Hootie
10-05-2010, 10:35 PM
guys lets talk about Chung real quick...

he blocked two kicks (yay)...

cool...

and he had a pick 6 that was thrown literally right to him...

lets now crown him yet

Mr. Flopnuts
10-05-2010, 10:36 PM

cool...

lets now crown him yet

Not until he's traded to Smackdown.

Nzoner
10-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Multiple sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter that a Randy Moss trade is getting closer to fruition, and Wednesday is the "target" date.
Jay Glazer, close to the story all along, confirms that talks are "moving in the right direction" and should get started again in the morning. The Pats, on a bye week, aren't rushed, but the Vikings have the majority of their offensive install on Thursday as they prepare for the Monday night game against the Jets. They'll want a deal finalized by Wednesday night at the latest. Though he confirms that Moss did "float the idea" of a trade earlier this year, Schefter disputes a report that the receiver had words with coach Bill Belichick on Tuesday.

HemiEd
10-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Remember, I'm one of the guys that was upset that the Chiefs traded for Montana for that very reason.

fixed it

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2010, 11:06 PM

cool...

lets now crown him yet

Fucking duplicitous horseshit.

If Javier Arenas did the same exact thing, you and everyone else would be praising the shit out of him and rightfully so

Chung's been an impact player this season. This cannot be disputed.

Hootie
10-05-2010, 11:09 PM
****ing duplicitous horseshit.

If Javier Arenas did the same exact thing, you and everyone else would be praising the shit out of him and rightfully so

Chung's been an impact player this season. This cannot be disputed.

This was the first impressive performance by the Pats defense all year long...

Just last week everyone was talking about the inexperience and how much of a weakness New England's secondary was...

but whatever

you're right

MOTHER FUCK YOU PIOLI!!!!!!! CHUNG >>>>>> CASSEL AND VRABEL!!!

FUCK!

STRIKE 500

DaneMcCloud
10-05-2010, 11:16 PM

Just last week everyone was talking about the inexperience and how much of a weakness New England's secondary was...

but whatever

you're right

MOTHER FUCK YOU PIOLI!!!!!!! CHUNG >>>>>> CASSEL AND VRABEL!!!

FUCK!

STRIKE 500

JFC, Hootie. Must you always be a drama queen?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-05-2010, 11:23 PM
JFC, Hootie. Must you always be a drama queen?

He runs off attention the way aerobic organisms run off oxygen.

Tribal Warfare
10-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Question, who else thought this was an old thread when they first clicked on it?

Outside of that, it looks like Favre will be getting a new toy if Moss returns to the Vikings.

patteeu
10-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Minnesota was pretty close to going to the Superbowl last year so I don't think your argument makes your case very well. I think there are multiple ways of building a team, not just one.

patteeu
10-06-2010, 12:03 AM

It all starts with a young QB. If you have a great one, you have time to build a couple of teams during his prime. See the Elway Broncos. The Pats are building Brady's second team now. Peyton is on his second Colts team. How much more sense does it make to do it this way rather than bring in an old guy for a couple of years for a Hail Mary attempt at a SB?

I think that if it were easy to identify the Elways, Bradys and Mannings, everyone would do it that way.

keg in kc
10-06-2010, 12:04 AM
It's not like the Chiefs thought QB was the last piece of the puzzle, either. Like it or not, the first move they made was for a QB they saw as a franchise player.

Otter
10-06-2010, 12:10 AM
Vikings upper management and Carl Peterson would get along just fine. Always a day fucking late and a dollar short.

How's that Brett Farve revival working out?

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 12:13 AM
Vikings upper management and Carl Peterson would get along just fine. Always a day fucking late and a dollar short.

How's that Brett Farve revival working out?

Kansas City 1994.

9-7. First round playoff loss.

kcxiv
10-06-2010, 01:37 AM
lol, Glazer been pissed because ESPN was trying to steal his scoops. Glazers twitter is funny at times.

DBOSHO
10-06-2010, 03:23 AM
Why would you leave tom brady for brett favre?

Especially when this will be favres last year?

T-post Tom
10-06-2010, 03:31 AM

Because working with Favre includes unlimited free sexting. And Moss is all about the sexting. BTW, there's going to be a mass exodus of meter maids in MN if this deal goes through. 100 Ritas can't be wrong.

Shogun
10-06-2010, 03:58 AM

Because he knows he will get more catches

the Talking Can
10-06-2010, 04:15 AM
next year's draft will be an all you can eat buffet for the pats....crazy

the Talking Can
10-06-2010, 04:17 AM

because the pats weren't going to sign him for what he wanted

this only about $$$

Buck
10-06-2010, 05:12 AM

I don't think they get that much, Buck. I see them breaking even at best, unless the Vikings are in "I got these cheeseburgers" mode.

Just saw this on twitter.

Adam_Schefter Adam Schefter
Good business: NE traded a 4th-rd pick to Oakland for Randy Moss and will get back a 3rd -- after 300+ receptions and a few dozen TDs.

Filed to ESPN: When the Randy Moss-to-Minnesota trade is completed later, Patriots will receive a third-round pick in return from Vikings.

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 05:26 AM
Guess I'll be picking up Brandon Tate in my dynasty league...

Bill Lundberg
10-06-2010, 05:36 AM
And the Patriots will have 2 picks in each of the first four rounds!

Bill Lundberg
10-06-2010, 05:39 AM
Maybe they use one of the extra's for Vincent Jackson???

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 05:48 AM
Maybe they use one of the extra's for Vincent Jackson???

Ha! Now, that would be classic...

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 06:14 AM
If Moss is begging for the trade, which means he potentially becomes a locker room cancer, then I guess I'm ok with it.

But absent that, this makes no sense to me. Moss isn't what he was in 2007, but he's still a legitimate #1 WR. A VERY legitimate #1 WR, and the Patriots do NOT have another one hanging around. We're 3-1 and while our defense is pathetic, it's young and at least potentially capable of coming together and performing much better as the season goes along. The Brady years aren't infinite. Giving away Moss for a third makes NO sense.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 06:20 AM
Yeesh. Moss for a third I guess. I don't like it. Not at all. Not unless there are some very serious chemistry concerns if Moss stays.

Faulk and now Moss? Losing those two are two HUGE blows to the offense. Brady is probably pissed, and it's hard to blame him.

Marcellus
10-06-2010, 06:21 AM
Better drop AP from your fantasy league. Trade him now. Favre will be checking off to a pass every run play sent in. Worse than last year.

The only thing worse than listening to Favre get his knob slobbed all the time will be having to listen to that while Randy Moss's balls are being cupped.

It will be impossible to watch Vikes games.

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 06:22 AM
FWIW - local media, citing a league source, reporting that the deal is "99% done"

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 06:25 AM
Radioheads are talking about whether the Pats are going to take this pick, or another, or a combo, and flip them to SD for Vincent Jackson to replace Moss.

Or if not having to worry about paying Moss means the Patriots can sign Mankins (this I find unlikely, as I don't see these two issues as being at all related).

Pats to have two 1sts (Raiders, should be high in 1st), 2nds (Panthers, should be high in 2nd), 3rds and 4ths if this deal gets done. Great, I guess, but we already have a pretty young team. Guess the Great Retooling will continue for another year or two.

DBOSHO
10-06-2010, 06:26 AM
because the pats weren't going to sign him for what he wanted

this only about $$$

Hes a multimillonaire. He would be stupid to leave a team with tom brady and wes welker for the vikings, where, after this season, will be a team that might not make the playoffs on a regular basis like the pats will. Especially with the talent they are going to bring in this coming april.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 06:26 AM
Better drop AP from your fantasy league. Trade him now. Favre will be checking off to a pass every run play sent in. Worse than last year.

The Randy Ratio will be back baby!

It could be a sick combo between the Mad Gunslinger and possibly the greatest WR to ever adjust to a ball in the air in NFL history.

But I'd rather see him doing it in a Patriots uniform.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 06:27 AM
For the record, all reports from Patriots media members was that Randy was perfectly fine after 1 target, no catches in the Miami game. Happy with win and no complaints at all.

DBOSHO
10-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Radioheads are talking about whether the Pats are going to take this pick, or another, or a combo, and flip them to SD for Vincent Jackson to replace Moss.

Or if not having to worry about paying Moss means the Patriots can sign Mankins (this I find unlikely, as I don't see these two issues as being at all related).

Pats to have two 1sts (Raiders, should be high in 1st), 2nds (Panthers, should be high in 2nd), 3rds and 4ths if this deal gets done. Great, I guess, but we already have a pretty young team. Guess the Great Retooling will continue for another year or two.

That would be scary

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 06:32 AM
That would be scary

I sure as crap hope it's true, because otherwise I really have trouble seeing how this deal makes sense for the Patriots.

And, FTR, I was (and am) 100% on board with the Richard Seymour trade, even though alot of Patriots fans were very PO'ed about it.

Even if we don't resign Moss after this year, I can't see giving up on 2010. We're 3-1 for chrissakes. Oh, and hell of a morale downer after the big win in Miami.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Oooooh fun! Patriots play the Vikings in like four weeks. Be nothing better than to watch Moss work on our inexperienced and mediocre secondary. That'd be great!

:shake:

the Talking Can
10-06-2010, 06:41 AM
If Moss is begging for the trade, which means he potentially becomes a locker room cancer, then I guess I'm ok with it.

But absent that, this makes no sense to me. Moss isn't what he was in 2007, but he's still a legitimate #1 WR. A VERY legitimate #1 WR, and the Patriots do NOT have another one hanging around. We're 3-1 and while our defense is pathetic, it's young and at least potentially capable of coming together and performing much better as the season goes along. The Brady years aren't infinite. Giving away Moss for a third makes NO sense.

the unspoken issue, at least in the games I've seen, is that Brady misses Moss deep as often as he connects...Moss could literally have double the number of TDs..the guy is still unguardable after 20 yards

so aside from the contract stuff, I wonder if the Pats aren't figuring they need more production in the 15-25 yard range, stuff that isn't Moss' forte...that Moss is a bit of a wasted talent which they can flip for something more in line with Brady's current (i.e. slightly diminished) skill set

no one would ever say it that way, of course...

the Talking Can
10-06-2010, 06:43 AM
Hes a multimillonaire. He would be stupid to leave a team with tom brady and wes welker for the vikings, where, after this season, will be a team that might not make the playoffs on a regular basis like the pats will. Especially with the talent they are going to bring in this coming april.

all players are multi-millionaires, and it is still always about the $$$

and when has Moss ever struck you as bright?

he left the Vikings for the Raiders...

Nzoner
10-06-2010, 06:52 AM

Might want to check the first half of week one again.

Chiefs=Champions
10-06-2010, 06:56 AM
There was 1 play against the Dolphins, where moss got about 15 yards of the line of scrimage and started bolting deep. I think it was the saftey that was on him, facing him still back pedling and after about two steps moss was flying past him.

I remember thinking, if that was me i would be shitting myself. Moss still has it and for a 3rd round pick i think the vikes get a steal.. Teams still have to double team him almost every play. He'll benefit Harvin and Peterson soo much. having said that, i can see why the pats are willing to trade him.. sort of..

Lex Luthor
10-06-2010, 06:58 AM
The worst thing about this trade is that Favre will undoubtedly start flip-flopping about retiring again. Now he'll drag himself out there until he's Willie Mays with the 1973 Mets.

If you recall, he originally retired from the Packers the day after Moss signed with New England because he was pissed that his boy Randy wasn't going to the Packers.

I'm just sick of Brett Favre.

notorious
10-06-2010, 07:04 AM
The worst thing about this trade is that Favre will undoubtedly start flip-flopping about retiring again. Now he'll drag himself out there until he's Willie Mays with the 1973 Mets.

If you recall, he originally retired from the Packers the day after Moss signed with New England because he was pissed that his boy Randy wasn't going to the Packers.

I'm just sick of Brett Favre.

Good catch. I have completely forgotten about Favre volunteering to blow Moss if he came to GB.

GB pissed Favre off by making their love affair a long distance relationship.

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Now being reported that the deal is done.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-06-2010, 07:08 AM
For a 3rd round pick.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:13 AM
FUCK! Thats fucking stupid.

T-post Tom
10-06-2010, 07:16 AM

The Chiefs would have been greatly improved if they had picked up Moss and Mankins in a trade (ala Cassel & Vrabel). They have the cap space for both. But as far as I know, the Pats haven't shown much interest in trading Mankins.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:20 AM
The Chiefs would have been greatly improved if they had picked up Moss and Mankins in a trade (ala Cassel & Vrabel). They have the cap space for both. But as far as I know, the Pats haven't shown much interest in trading Mankins.

How would have Mankins helped? Except costing us draft picks, how would he be any improvement over Waters and Lilja so far? Looks like NE isn't even missing him right now.

The Bad Guy
10-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Why do the Chiefs need Mankins?

They have Lilja, who is playing great, Waters, who is on the tail end, but also Asamoah is waiting in the wings.

Spending 50 million on a guard is stupid as hell.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Why do the Chiefs need Mankins?

They have Lilja, who is playing great, Waters, who is on the tail end, but also Asamoah is waiting in the wings.

Spending 50 million on a guard is stupid as hell.

Repost

The Bad Guy
10-06-2010, 07:22 AM
I think this is a huge win for Moss fantasy owners.

Defenses are going to stack up to stop AP. Moss will get a lot of single coverage. He's going to be the first fantasy player I can remember that doesn't have a bye week (although his zero last week was like a bye). He's playing indoors again where he crushed.

I have Moss and Welker on a team and I think both of their values improves with this deal. Welker now is the #1 option for Brady and Moss might rejuveniate himself because he looked lethargic as hell the last 3 weeks.

T-post Tom
10-06-2010, 07:24 AM
How would have Mankins helped? Except costing us draft picks, how would he be any improvement over Waters and Lilja so far? Looks like NE isn't even missing him right now.

Why do the Chiefs need Mankins? They have Lilja, who is playing great, Waters, who is on the tail end, but also Asamoah is waiting in the wings. Spending 50 million on a guard is stupid as hell.

His price hasn't been determined & the Chiefs are flush with cap space. (Pats pissed him off with a $1.54M tender offer.) He can play RT better than our current choices. (He played tackle in college.) The O-line lacks depth. This has been beaten to death in other threads. JMHO.

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM

Defenses are going to stack up to stop AP. Moss will get a lot of single coverage. He's going to be the first fantasy player I can remember that doesn't have a bye week (although his zero last week was like a bye). He's playing indoors again where he crushed.

I have Moss and Welker on a team and I think both of their values improves with this deal. Welker now is the #1 option for Brady and Moss might rejuveniate himself because he looked lethargic as hell the last 3 weeks.

I hope so... Moss has been pretty average.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:26 AM
He can play RT better than our current choices. (He played tackle in college.) The O-line lacks depth. This has been beaten to death in other threads. JMHO.

And you know this....how? College =/= NFL.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-06-2010, 07:27 AM

I'm hoping it helps me with Brett Favre on my fantasy team.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:27 AM
Patriots fans are PISSED! Go to the Patriots forum and see.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm hoping it helps me with Brett Favre on my fantasy team.

ROFLROFL I just remembered that I have Favre also.

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 07:29 AM

Only thing about VJ is ... would SD really trade them to a team that they would likely have to face in the playoffs? That would be a little odd to me, but not unlikely.

Also - VJ wants big $ and he's a strike away from a year ban, right? Sounds like they could have just paid Moss a nice extension and moved on if this is what they do plan on doing.

Reerun_KC
10-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Pats never make the fan popular moves....

If Pioli and Co follow those same footsteps. There will be full meltdown moments in the future here as well.

FlaChief58
10-06-2010, 07:31 AM
The Deal is done according to ESPN

blazzin311
10-06-2010, 07:31 AM
I was reading the article on ESPN a few mins. ago about this and it read that the Pats., after this deal is complete in the 2011 draft will have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rds. That's not bad. I'd say they're in good shape. So are the Vikes now I'd assume. They're going to be in especially good shape if Rice comes back healthy at some point yet this season. Moss on one side, Rice on the other and Harvin in the slot is deadly for them if it pans out. Good deal for both teams really.

T-post Tom
10-06-2010, 07:32 AM
And you know this....how? College =/= NFL.

Seriously? He's a first round pick and has been to the Pro Bowl twice. Have you seen him play? He's an upgrade over O'Callaghan/Richardson.

T-post Tom
10-06-2010, 07:33 AM
I was reading the article on ESPN a few mins. ago about this and it read that the Pats., after this deal is complete in the 2011 draft will have 2 picks in each of the first 4 rds. That's not bad. I'd say they're in good shape. So are the Vikes now I'd assume. They're going to be in especially good shape if Rice comes back healthy at some point yet this season. Moss on one side, Rice on the other and Harvin in the slot is deadly for them if it pans out. Good deal for both teams really.

Kinda looks that way.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Seriously? He's a first round pick and has been to the Pro Bowl twice. Have you seen him play? He's an upgrade over O'Callaghan/Richardson.

Does it look like NE is missing him AT ALL?

We've allowed 2 sacks this year. Sorry, I don't see the need to spend a draft pick on Mankins and give him the biggest deal of all Guards.

The Bad Guy
10-06-2010, 07:35 AM
His price hasn't been determined & the Chiefs are flush with cap space. (Pats pissed him off with a $1.54M tender offer.) He can play RT better than our current choices. (He played tackle in college.) The O-line lacks depth. This has been beaten to death in other threads. JMHO.

So you think it's smart to give up draft picks and a 50 million dollar contract (he wants what Jahri Evans got) for a guard who could play right tackle?

I don't care if the Chiefs had an infinite amount of cap space, doing something like that is lunacy.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:36 AM
How is this deal good for both teams? It's fucking retarded.

The Pats traded a 4th for Moss.

Moss then had the best 3 year stretch in wide receiver history for them.

And then they trade him for a 3rd. WTF?

And you realize that Welker was the biggest benefactor of Moss being in NE. Unless they get another Moss like WR, Welker won't be putting up the same numbers. So not only do they lose in compensation, they also lose in production.

The Bad Guy
10-06-2010, 07:36 AM
I think Brandon Tate has a lot to do with this deal. He's flashed in the games I've seen.

With the Raiders #1, the Pats will just reload with a WR.

The Bad Guy
10-06-2010, 07:38 AM
How is this deal good for both teams? It's ****ing retarded.

And you realize that Welker was the biggest benefactor of Moss being in NE. Unless they get another Moss like WR, Welker won't be putting up the same numbers. So not only do they lose in compensation, they also lose in production.

I disagree with the Welker decline part.

I think the Patriots can scheme appropriately to get him the ball regardless of coverage. A sure handed slot receiver is still going to see a ton of targets.

blazzin311
10-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Kinda looks that way.

At least on paper anyhow it looks like a good deal. Alot can happen but seems fair which is all any team can really ask for.

blazzin311
10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
How is this deal good for both teams? It's ****ing retarded.

We'll see.....like I said on paper it seems fair to all parties involved. That being said, fair on paper and fair a year or two later when we've seen how things have panned out are two different things. For the time being I'm sure both teams are pleased though.

Quesadilla Joe
10-06-2010, 07:43 AM
Bill Belicheat could learn a thing or two from McDaniels about getting great value for your Pro Bowlers.

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Bill Belicheat could learn a thing or two from McDaniels about getting great value for your Pro Bowlers.

:bong:

McD could learn a thing or two about how to use the picks he receives from trading Pro Bowlers...

The Bad Guy
10-06-2010, 07:45 AM

When McDaniels actually wears something other than his high school class ring then come talk to me.

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 07:47 AM
When McDaniels actually wears something other than his high school class ring then come talk to me.

That's gonna leave a mark...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pS7sKjlzwFg/SwhG1S901pI/AAAAAAAAEiw/XSm93RIY2WE/s400/kelso-burn.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.thephinsider.com/2010/4/3/1403358/and-while-hamlin-plays-a-dolphins&usg=__ywwcVZYcfAySUWIs9PMgYukU8iM=&h=300&w=300&sz=13&hl=en&start=0&sig2=nPDN_iTK4mEID-Ae4eqmBQ&zoom=1&tbnid=Bp2G-EiSIi7r2M:&tbnh=154&tbnw=154&ei=wH2sTP2ULoi6jAeA7NDLCw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthat%2B70s%2Bshow%2Bburn%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1231%26bih%3D843%26tbs %3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=757&vpy=454&dur=117&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=153&ty=124&oei=wH2sTP2ULoi6jAeA7NDLCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0

T-post Tom
10-06-2010, 07:52 AM
So you think it's smart to give up draft picks and a 50 million dollar contract (he wants what Jahri Evans got) for a guard who could play right tackle?

I don't care if the Chiefs had an infinite amount of cap space, doing something like that is lunacy.

Does it look like NE is missing him AT ALL?

We've allowed 2 sacks this year. Sorry, I don't see the need to spend a draft pick on Mankins and give him the biggest deal of all Guards.

:facepalm:

Someone please show me where Mankins said he wants $50M or whatever Evans got. Again, the o-line lacks depth and Mankins is an upgrade. Saying that we've had two sacks in three games after 77 pass attempts doesn't make for much of an argument regarding the acquistion of a 2X Pro Bowler on the o-line. If the price was reasonable, we'd be a better team with Moss/Mankins.

-King-
10-06-2010, 07:56 AM

Someone please show me where Mankins said he wants $50M or whatever Evans got. Again, the o-line lacks depth and Mankins is an upgrade. Saying that we've had two sacks in three games after 77 pass attempts doesn't make for much of an argument regarding the acquistion of a 2X Pro Bowler on the o-line. If the price was reasonable, we'd be a better team with Moss/Mankins.

About two weeks ago, Mankins and his agent Frank Bauer arrived at the Patriots training facility in Foxborough, Mass., with both sides intending and believing they would be able to hammer out a long-term deal similar to the seven-year, $56.7 million contract that Pro Bowl guard Jahri Evans signed with New Orleans in the spring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5564031

You done now?

T-post Tom
10-06-2010, 08:05 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=5564031

You done now?

Ummm, no. I don't see any quotes from Mankins or his agent saying what he would or wouldn't accept for a contract. I'm sure Pioli and Mankins' agent could agree to a contract that would be acceptable to both parties. In case you haven't noticed, the Chiefs are doing pretty well, capwise. Now if you're just concerned about the Hunt familys' personal wealth, then I'm sure Clark & Co. appreciate your concern.

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Ummm, no. I don't see any quotes from Mankins or his agent saying what he would or wouldn't accept for a contract. I'm sure Pioli and Mankins' agent could agree to a contract that would be acceptable to both parties. In case you haven't noticed, the Chiefs are doing pretty well, capwise. Now if you're just concerned about the Hunt familys' personal wealth, then I'm sure Clark & Co. appreciate your concern.

I'll bet that KnowMo could help you find a twitter comment that supports it...

-King-
10-06-2010, 08:10 AM

Wow the denial is strong. So mankins is holding out 5 weeks into the season and he isn't seeking to be paid like a top guard? Really?
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 08:14 AM
I think Brandon Tate has a lot to do with this deal. He's flashed in the games I've seen.

With the Raiders #1, the Pats will just reload with a WR.

Tate has flashed as a KR, not as a WR really.

Reiss had an interesting insight -- the 2 very good rookie TEs we have, with Hernandez able to split out wide also, and the move to more two TE sets. With fewer 3 WR sets, Moss is more expendable.

Ok, but that still doesn't tell me who stretches the field. And I agree that Gronk is a very good red zone target, potentially replacing (to a degree) Moss, but I'm very worried about defenses suffocating the Pats without much of a deep threat.

2010 team is now worse than it was Sunday night, when they're 3-1 coming off a road division win and what appears to be a wide open AFC. All for a low 3rd round pick. Absent additional details (Moss threatneing to be a locker room cancer), I dont' agree with this move.

-King-
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM
http://news245.com/a-logan-mankins-urges-him-not-money/1188.htm

There's a quote from his agent.

Happy?
Posted via Mobile Device

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Pats made him an offer htat would have made him something like the 3rd highest paid gaurd. Below Evans numbers, but at something like $7MM/year. He rejected it.

What else do you need to know?

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Pats never make the fan popular moves....

If Pioli and Co follow those same footsteps. There will be full meltdown moments in the future here as well.

Win some Super Bowls and you'll find your fanbase is much more forgiving...

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Only thing about VJ is ... would SD really trade them to a team that they would likely have to face in the playoffs? That would be a little odd to me, but not unlikely.

Also - VJ wants big $ and he's a strike away from a year ban, right? Sounds like they could have just paid Moss a nice extension and moved on if this is what they do plan on doing.

33 and declining versus 27 and peaking, would the rationale for the switch.

But it is outside the Patriots normal operating parameters to trade high picks and then pay a guy absolute top dollar to come into their system.

As for what SD does or why, don't know or care.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 08:18 AM
http://news245.com/a-logan-mankins-urges-him-not-money/1188.htm

There's a quote from his agent.

Happy?
Posted via Mobile Device

It's not notarized...

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 08:21 AM
There's alot of Moss jersey-owners who are pissed. My family and I went to a restaurant last weekend and my kids asked "why is everyone wearing 81?". Seriously, 3 waitressess all had Moss jerseys -- two blue ones and a white one.

thecoffeeguy
10-06-2010, 08:24 AM
As others have stated, why wouldn't the Pats make a run for Vincent Jackson? They have a boat load of picks they could dangle for him.

Say they trade a 2nd and 3rd for Jackson, they still have (2) 1st round picks, a second and third round pick.

The question is, would San Diegos GM do the trade.

Los Pollos Hermanos
10-06-2010, 08:25 AM
There's alot of Moss jersey-owners who are pissed. My family and I went to a restaurant last weekend and my kids asked "why is everyone wearing 81?". Seriously, 3 waitressess all had Moss jerseys -- two blue ones and a white one.

A lot of Moss jersey owners in Minnesota hoping he gets 84 again. :)

Mile High Mania
10-06-2010, 08:26 AM
You know - Pioli should have jumped all over this one, grab a WR with that talent for a R3 pick? Why not... instant offense.

Brock
10-06-2010, 08:32 AM
that Moss is a bit of a wasted talent which they can flip for something more in line with Brady's current (i.e. slightly diminished) skill set

no one would ever say it that way, of course...

Can't say I agree with that.

The Bad Guy
10-06-2010, 08:46 AM

So for the millionth time. You think he's holding out why exactly?

BECAUSE HE WANTS TOP MONEY.

You would also pay him, and give up picks for a non-position of need.

You make my head hurt, honestly.

the Talking Can
10-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Can't say I agree with that.

it's a bit of a stretch that any of the Pats brass are thinking that way

but i do think it is true that Brady is missing some passes he didn't use to...

patteeu
10-06-2010, 09:03 AM

Brady = no contract

Favre = contract

FlaChief58
10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Bill Belicheat could learn a thing or two from McDaniels about trading away elite talent and set your team back to laughing stock status.

FYP

The Franchise
10-06-2010, 09:08 AM
Fuck.....the Patriots now have.

2 1st round picks
2 2nd round picks
2 3rd round picks

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Fuck.....the Patriots now have.

2 1st round picks and the one from the Raiders is going to be high in the round
2 2nd round picks and the one from the Panthers is going to be so high it's practically another 1st
2 3rd round picks (Vikings)
2 4th round picks (Dungver)

FYP.

ModSocks
10-06-2010, 09:12 AM
How the fuck do the Vikings afford all these players?

The Franchise
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
FYP.

I thought they had 2 4th round picks....but I wasn't 100% sure. The Pats are fucking great at getting draft picks and reloading talent every year.

Pioli Zombie
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
8 picks in the first 4 rounds. Holy crap!!!

ModSocks
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Oh Fuck. I just looked at the Monday Night Game

DBOSHO
10-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Tom is going to show the world again that hes the best at making nfl recievers out of bums

The Franchise
10-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Oh Fuck. I just looked at the Monday Night Game

I won't be watching that suck fest.

OmahaChief
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM
Brady = no contract

Favre = contract

Brady signed a new contract a couple of weeks back. Signed a 4 year deal to make him the highest paid player in the league.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Brady signed a new contract a couple of weeks back. Signed a 4 year deal to make him the highest paid player in the league.

I think he means a contract for MOSS, not whether the QB has a contract.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
I thought they had 2 4th round picks....but I wasn't 100% sure. The Pats are fucking great at getting draft picks and reloading talent every year.

They're great at stocking up on draft picks. They'd be much more competitive now if they hadn't missed on a number of picks in the 2005-2007 timeframe. 2008/09/10 have been much better, and hopefully they'll hit with all these high picks in 11.

DBOSHO
10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
They should get aj green and julio jones.

patteeu
10-06-2010, 09:38 AM

Brady = no contract (for Moss)

Favre = contract (for Moss)

FMP :)

dirk digler
10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
I didn't think this would happen but good move by the Vikings. I don't know how much it will help though it doesn't look like Favre can throw as far as he use to

Mr. Laz
10-06-2010, 10:03 AM
ROFL I don't believe this for 1/1000th of one billionth of a second. Mainly because the vikings just aren't that dumb. There were a litany of reasons why the vikings weren't going to trade for Vincent Jackson and give him a huge new contract, considering that VJAX is about 2X the WR that Moss is at this stage the same reasons are valid X10.

The only way the vikings would do this is for a really low draft pick with no new contract for moss. Basically it's a rental that is all.
:hmmm:

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Belichick's statement, released through the team:

"Over the course of the past several months, I have spoken with Randy and his representative about Randy’s place on our team and his future in football. Consistent with my dealings with Randy from the day we acquired him through our conversation this morning it has been honest, thoughtful and with great mutual respect.

"While I will keep private the details of internal conversations with players and staff suffice it to say that many things were taken into consideration before making the trade. In this business, there are complex and often difficult decisions but it is my responsibility to make them based on what I feel is best for our football team in both the short term and long term.

"I am grateful for the opportunity to have coached Randy Moss and aside from facing him as an opponent. I wish him the very best for the remainder of his Hall of Fame career.”

Sannyasi
10-06-2010, 10:40 AM
This is a good move for the Vikings. You can argue with the Vikings overall go-for-broke strategy, but at this point they've already mortgaged their future so they might as well do what they can to win it all NOW.

LaChapelle
10-06-2010, 10:40 AM
They should spend their money on a stadium

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
FWIW, Tedy Bruschi and Troy Brown have, according to Patriots messages boards, come out publicly about the need to do something about Randy, who apparently was causing some issues behind the scenes.

You might think that those guys always schlurp the Pats dong, but Tedy has criticized the Patriots regarding certain thngs since his retirement, including the Mankins situation. Troy said the situation on the plane ride back from Miami was tense with Moss, though the reasons for that are uncertain.

B_Ambuehl
10-06-2010, 10:50 AM
As others have stated, why wouldn't the Pats make a run for Vincent Jackson? They have a boat load of picks they could dangle for him.

Say they trade a 2nd and 3rd for Jackson, they still have (2) 1st round picks, a second and third round pick.

The question is, would San Diegos GM do the trade.

Even if AJ "comp pick" Smith were to do that trade Belichik has gotten really senile here the last few years and anything that makes really good sense is out.

Right now the Pats have 6 picks in the 1st 3 rounds of next years draft but pay close attention and watch what they come away with and at the end of the day you likely won't be impressed. Belichik had chances to draft Demarious Thomas, Dez Bryant, Jahvid Best, McCluster and Jerry Hughes this year and passed on all of them for slapdicks like Jermaine Cunningham.

I honestly think he thinks he's bigger than the game. If the Pats (or broncos for that matter) had anything close to average drafting the last 2 years they'd both be running away with the AFC just due to the sheer number of 1st and 2nd round picks they've had. They're terrible at drafting though.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Pats also gave Minny a 7.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 10:55 AM
dude...

the drafturbators LOVE the Patriots...

holy shit?!?!?!

2 picks in each of the first 4 rounds??

You'd think the Pats would have prefered a 2012 2nd for Moss rather than a 2011 3rd, though...

Skyy God
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Pats also gave Minny a 7.

More PT for Aaron Hernandez, Amno?

Bowser
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Wonder ho wmany "Print 'em!" posts have hit the Vikings boards in the last twelve hours or so.

Pasta Little Brioni
10-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I won't be watching that suck fest.

The 3 stooges will be even more annoying than usual. The only way it could be worse is if they bring back Sterling Sharpe to give us an encore Randy slurp fest performance :eek:

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 11:40 AM
More PT for Aaron Hernandez, Amno?

Playing time? No. Not much. Pats were already running alot of 2 TE sets with Hernandez in there, and alot fewer 3 WR sets like they did in '07-'09.

Being targetted by throws, YES.

And Gronk as a target in the end zone.

EDIT: I looked it up for you. Total snaps played by Pats offensive players in the MNF game.

MIAMI GARDENS – A look at the snaps played by skill-position players in the Patriots’ 41-14 victory over the Dolphins (obviously, Hernandez's playing time can hardly go up....):

TE Aaron Hernandez – 50 of 58
WR Randy Moss – 46 of 58
WR Wes Welker – 43 of 58
WR Brandon Tate – 31 of 58
TE Alge Crumpler – 30 of 58
RB Danny Woodhead – 28 of 58
RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis – 24 of 58
TE Rob Gronkowski – 24 of 58
RB/FB Sammy Morris – 6 of 58
WR Julian Edelman – 5 of 58
FB Dan Connolly – 2 of 58
WR Matthew Slater – 1 of 58

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4684620/woodheads-playing-time-on-the-rise

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
You'd think the Pats would have prefered a 2012 2nd for Moss rather than a 2011 3rd, though...

Don't think for a second they'll use all 8 of those picks. They'll either move up (which they have done, though rarely) or roll one or two into 2012, as you say.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Patriots reporters now reporting that Moss and the de facto Offensive Coordinator had a "heated exchange" at halftime of the MNF game. Moss had been targetted once during the first half, the "drop" (it was a difficult catch to make) in the end zone at halftime.

Notably, Brady didn't even target him in the 2nd half, which was partly a function of the lack of time of possession due to defensive/special teams touchdowns, and partly a function of wanting to run the ball when teh Pats got up big. But Brady didn't feed the whiny WR any biscuits either...

Titty Meat
10-06-2010, 12:16 PM
So the Pats are going back to the 2001-2005 offense? Intresting.

teedubya
10-06-2010, 12:21 PM

Yeah, but I bet some people can bust out an old school Moss Vikings jersey now!

Demonpenz
10-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Randy's effort on run blocking was tough to watch. He is a frustrating talent.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 12:35 PM
So the Pats are going back to the 2001-2005 offense? Intresting.

That's the theory. Those teams did feature more diversity and heavy sets than the '07-'09 teams, especially, but Deion Branch was no slouch. And Antowain Smith, for all his mediocrity, at least know how to move the ball forward and rarely fumbled.

I like Fred Taylor, but he can't stay healthy. Law Firm might be an Antowain Smith,b ut he's not 220-230 pounds so I dunno if he can hold up like Smith did. None of 'em can touch Corey Dillon 2004, of course.

But the TEs are very good, possibly better as a group than any we've ever had, even though two are rookies. The OL is probably about as good, since Mankins wasn't there '01-'04 either.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
The Patriots appear desperate. That dynasty is just about dead. Terrible defense, which is shocking.

BryanBusby
10-06-2010, 01:07 PM
The Patriots appear desperate. That dynasty is just about dead. Terrible defense, which is shocking.

Wut

Trading off Moss a year after they dealt Seymour and consistently trading for future picks isn't exactly a move of a desperate team.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 01:43 PM

The team is retooling as it transitions from the Super Bowl championship years dominated by defense, through the Moss years of high-flying, spread-set offenses -- which never managed to win a Super Bowl -- to....whatever it will be next.

They easily have enough time to do it while Brady is still very, very good, as long as they made/make good draft picks.

They're not desperate. They're trying to retool, mostly via the draft. Whether that works, we'll see.

If we pick well in 2011, then the Pats could easily be awesome in 2011-2014. We'll see.

P.S. Defense sucks because it is mostly very, very young, and because their best CB, Leigh Bodden, was lost for the year in the preseason. A hell of a lot of <25 year olds at key spots. But if they reach their potential, they could be very good.

Hammock Parties
10-06-2010, 01:47 PM
The team is retooling as it transitions to....whatever it will be next.

A broken-down, pathetic shell of it's past glory.

The Moss trade was Belichick's last-ditch effort to win another championship.

He's all played out.

The AFC East will pass to the Jets and Dolphins.

Mecca
10-06-2010, 01:59 PM
That offense is gonna look like balls without Moss, just his decoy factor made Welker.

Molitoth
10-06-2010, 02:01 PM
You know - Pioli should have jumped all over this one, grab a WR with that talent for a R3 pick? Why not... instant offense.

Because Pioli doesn't have a QB to throw a WR the ball.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 02:03 PM
The Jets are built better for the immediate future, but New England is still a threat. They are obviously in a transitional phase right now, which is mainly due to their horrible drafting from 2005-2008. Their last two drafts seem to be significantly better, and after the 2011 draft, they seem to be well positioned to be a contender from about 2012-2015 or thereabouts. Theoretically, if they were to use the Seymour pick on one of the QBs this year, they'd be in an even better long term situation, but that is unlikely to happen. It's much more likely they take a flier on a bevy of mid rounders hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again.

Mecca
10-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Guess NE is now praying Oakland tanks hard so they can get one of the WR's.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 02:07 PM

They have a lot of holes. They need another CB, they need two rush backers, and their DEs leave a lot to be desired. Add to that the lack of a vertical threat and the worst stable of RBs perhaps in the entire NFL, and there are a lot of options for those picks.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 02:19 PM

Chances of using that high 1 for a WR are about zero.

Pass rusher, pass rusher, pass rusher. Possibly DL.

Mecca
10-06-2010, 02:20 PM
Chances of using that high 1 for a WR are about zero.

Pass rusher, pass rusher, pass rusher. Possibly DL.

This from the team that seems to value pass rushers about that the level as the crud in the corner of your eye.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 02:20 PM
They have a lot of holes. They need another CB, they need two rush backers, and their DEs leave a lot to be desired. Add to that the lack of a vertical threat and the worst stable of RBs perhaps in the entire NFL, and there are a lot of options for those picks.

Leigh Bodden is out for this year. In theory we're fine at CB, as long as Butler doesn't turn out to suck half as hard as he has the last few games. He's young, and we've seen other players get better as they move along in their 2nd years, so we'll see.

Other than the brief Corey Dillon era, Pats never had an above-average stable of RBs.

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 02:21 PM
This from the team that seems to value pass rushers about that the level as the crud in the corner of your eye.

I think the issue is finding the right guy. BB is intensely, absurdly fussy about what he wants from a LB in his system, so he rarely drafts them highly. I'm hoping there is one that fits his mold with the Raiders pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Leigh Bodden is out for this year. In theory we're fine at CB, as long as Butler doesn't turn out to suck half as hard as he has the last few games. He's young, and we've seen other players get better as they move along in their 2nd years, so we'll see.

Other than the brief Corey Dillon era, Pats never had an above-average stable of RBs.

Bodden isn't exactly a lockdown CB, either, and he's bounced around quite a bit, with a couple of serious injuries. He's a slightly better Eric Warfield (Chiefs version).

Amnorix
10-06-2010, 02:49 PM
Bodden isn't exactly a lockdown CB, either, and he's bounced around quite a bit, with a couple of serious injuries. He's a slightly better Eric Warfield (Chiefs version).

Bodden was extremely solid for us. I'm not saying he's Revis, but he's an above-average CB. His injury left us with a rookie and 2nd year as starters. We also have a 2nd and 3rd year safety tandem. That's a hell of a lot of really YOUNG players to hold down the fort.

AGain, barring injury we don't really need to spend a high pick on CB.

chiefzilla1501
10-06-2010, 05:25 PM
That offense is gonna look like balls without Moss, just his decoy factor made Welker.

Brady led an ultra-productive offense with Jabar Gaffney and Reche Caldwell. The Pats will be fine on offense. I wouldn't expect a Brady-led offense to look like balls.

The problem is that their defense is horrendous.

go bo
10-06-2010, 05:30 PM
There's alot of Moss jersey-owners who are pissed. My family and I went to a restaurant last weekend and my kids asked "why is everyone wearing 81?". Seriously, 3 waitressess all had Moss jerseys -- two blue ones and a white one.you have blue waitresses in ne?