PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet Positive Rep for an email address!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I want the email address for the CEO of an accounting firm named BDO...

http://www.bdo.com/

Or an email address where I can be heard...not just that shitty contact form.

I need my voice to be heard.

POSITIVE REP for good detective work.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Ok...

Maybe I am looking for this chicks email address:

Stephanie Polon
Director of Campus Recruiting
BDO

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:08 AM
aha!

Think I found her on facebook....would rather send an email, though...rather than a long, creepy facebook message.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm sure she'll enjoy the links to your "smell" test.

Jewish Rabbi
10-06-2010, 12:09 AM
Another rep thread :facepalm:

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm sure she'll enjoy the links to your "smell" test.

No.

I'm sure you'll all get a kick of the rant I'm going to send...but I figure I'll start at the top...

Someone really crossed the line with me tonight...and you all know how much I like vindication!

So BDO is going to get the rant of a lifetime...and if I have to stoop to sending a 5000 word facebook message to the director of campus recruiting who has no idea who I am or what I'm talking about...

So be it.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 12:12 AM
No.

I'm sure you'll all get a kick of the rant I'm going to send...but I figure I'll start at the top...

Someone really crossed the line with me tonight...and you all know how much I like vindication!

So BDO is going to get the rant of a lifetime...and if I have to stoop to sending a 5000 word facebook message to the director of campus recruiting who has no idea who I am or what I'm talking about...

So be it.

Get fucked over on a job interview?

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:14 AM
Get ****ed over on a job interview?

I think it's some sort of accounting firm? I'm not sure.

They have like 35 locations around the nation...

Either way...some shady biz went down where I work tonight...something that was so indecent that I just can't let it go.

and tomorrow is my day off...and if I have to spend 10 hours on the phone, 10 hours looking for email addresses...or 10 hours protesting this motherfucking place...

I will do it.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 12:17 AM
Sounds pretty fucking juicy. I may jump in this if I have some free time tomorrow. But I want details if I deliver. Fuck rep.

'Hamas' Jenkins
Just remember: if you put enough styrofoam peanuts into a can of gasoline they will denature and turn the mixture into a crude form of napalm. Adding some magnesium powder will help with flammability, but it's not necessary.

If you're really desperate, a small explosive charge placed intelligently inside of a bag of flour will create a miniature thermobaric weapon that can level an entire building.

(Hi FBI :) )

Hootie
Get ****ed over on a job interview?

Nah, something much more minor.

But it got me about as mad as I have ever been in my entire life working...

CrazyPhuD
10-06-2010, 12:18 AM
Well what are you looking to do? Complain or get hired?

IN many companies people's emails are firstname.lastname@company.com

This would be
Stephanie.Polon@bdo.com

Now if you want to bitch...the CEO is

Jack Weisbaum

which would imply jack.weisbaum@bdo.com

Generally bitching to the CEO will get someone's attention...but that's not always a good thing....

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:18 AM
For the record...this has nothing to do with Ms. Polon or the CEO...but I figure sending my rant to the very top of the chain will be the most effective...

as the person who wronged me and some of my coworkers deserves to feel the wrath...

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:20 AM
Well what are you looking to do? Complain or get hired?

IN many companies people's emails are firstname.lastname@company.com

This would be
Stephanie.Polon@bdo.com

Now if you want to bitch...the CEO is

Jack Weisbaum

which would imply jack.weisbaum@bdo.com

Generally bitching to the CEO will get someone's attention...but that's not always a good thing....

Oh no...

I have no interest in being an accountant or getting a job...

I do have an interest in getting revenge for me and my coworkers tonight...and if that happens to be a lesson of decency handed down from the CEO to the fucking scumbags I encountered tonight, then so be it...

CrazyPhuD
10-06-2010, 12:20 AM
For the record...this has nothing to do with Ms. Polon or the CEO...but I figure sending my rant to the very top of the chain will be the most effective...

as the person who wronged me and some of my coworkers deserves to feel the wrath...

Then send it to the CEO...you think I'm kidding? if you're that pissed to look for it, do it. If that is their e-mail or they have the admins listen to it(i.e. for customer feedback) you you will get someone's attention...

yhf
10-06-2010, 12:21 AM
Sounds like somebody walked out on a big tab.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Then send it to the CEO...you think I'm kidding? if you're that pissed to look for it, do it. If that is their e-mail or they have the admins listen to it(i.e. for customer feedback) you you will get someone's attention...

hey...

no harm in trying that address out...

I will send it no problem...I will spend the next 5 hours on this draft...and I will find a way to be heard tomorrow...

I don't care if it takes me all day.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Sounds like somebody walked out on a big tab.

Something like that...

and mind you...this is an ACCOUNTING FIRM...who took up our entire bar/restaurant...who had twice as many people show up as expected...yet we all accommodated them, and had to turn away table after table after table...

and they fucked everyone right in the ass...

and it doesn't matter to me so much as I get every shift I want, am one of two full time employees, and make plenty of $$$$

but the two girls and three guys I worked with tonight are all part time and get two shifts a week...

and they fucked them all right over despite ruining an entire night of business for everyone...everyone

I could careless about the $$$...I have plenty of $$$...

this was a total violation of principle and I have never been so mad in my life...

I worked in Chicago for two years...I worked in a place with the scumbag clientele of America...I don't give a flying fuck about getting stiffed by a redneck...or an ignorant piece of shit...I don't care...not one bit...doesn't bother me...never has, never will...

but the blatant lack of respect, the fact these people took 75% of the entire restaurant up, the fact they got tremendous service from all people involved...the fact they asked if gratuity was included or not...and then the fact they tipped 3% on their bill after ruining an entire night of business (4PM-9PM)...

I'm spending my day off being heard by someone in that fucked up place...I have the name of the girl who paid, I have the name of the girl who placed the reservation...and I'm going to go down swinging.

Jewish Rabbi
10-06-2010, 12:32 AM
This probably won't end well for you.

CrazyPhuD
10-06-2010, 12:32 AM
BTW check out page 7 ;)

http://groups.haas.berkeley.edu/accounting/students/acctguide-%20Oct%202008.pdf

Stephanie Polon
spolon@bdo.com

This may suggest that Jack Weisbaum's e-mail is actually

jweisbaum@bdo.com

CrazyPhuD
10-06-2010, 12:33 AM
BTW you do have to give us not only the letter you send + their response...it's only fair :D

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 12:35 AM
Something like that...

and mind you...this is an ACCOUNTING FIRM...who took up our entire bar/restaurant...who had twice as many people show up as expected...yet we all accommodated them, and had to turn away table after table after table...

and it doesn't matter to me so much as I get every shift I want, am one of two full time employees, and make plenty of $$$$

but the two girls and three guys I worked with tonight are all part time and get two shifts a week...

and they fucked them all right over despite ruining an entire night of business for everyone...everyone

this was a total violation of principle and I have never been so mad in my life...

I worked in Chicago for two years...I worked in a place with the scumbag clientele of America...I don't give a flying fuck about getting stiffed by a redneck...or an ignorant piece of shit...I don't care...not one bit...doesn't bother me...never has, never will...

but the blatant lack of respect, the fact these people took 75% of the entire restaurant up, the fact they got tremendous service from all people involved...the fact they asked if gratuity was included or not...and then the fact they tipped 3% on their bill after ruining an entire night of business (4PM-9PM)...

I'm spending my day off being heard by someone in that fucked up place...I have the name of the girl who paid, I have the name of the girl who placed the reservation...and I'm going to go down swinging.

Awesome that you're taking up this cause.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ApgdIQisic?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2ApgdIQisic?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Shogun
10-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Something like that...

and they ****ed everyone right in the ass...

and they ****ed them all right over despite ruining an entire night of business for everyone...everyone

I worked in Chicago for two years...I worked in a place with the scumbag clientele of America...I don't give a flying **** about getting stiffed by a redneck...or an ignorant piece of shit...I don't care...not one bit...doesn't bother me...never has, never will...

I'm spending my day off being heard by someone in that ****ed up place...I have the name of the girl who paid, I have the name of the girl who placed the reservation...and I'm going to go down swinging.

Those fucking guys.

This is why we can't have nice things.

Hootie
BTW check out page 7 ;)

http://groups.haas.berkeley.edu/accounting/students/acctguide-%20Oct%202008.pdf

Stephanie Polon
spolon@bdo.com

This may suggest that Jack Weisbaum's e-mail is actually

jweisbaum@bdo.com

you the man!

RustShack
Found it!

spolon@bdo.com

CrazyPhuD
10-06-2010, 12:37 AM
BTW Aparently BDO has a new Partner(TAX) in chicago....

http://www.bdo.com/news/pr/1382

Care to express displeasure more locally and directly?

http://www.bdo.com/publications/tax/stlocal/TaxAlert-ILFran.pdf

jcarr@bdo.com

BTW much more likely the CEO is...

jweisbaum@bdo.com

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Jesus, you guys are 4chánning their asses ROFL.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:41 AM
I sent out a few reps, I'll get around to some more in a bit...right now I gotta get to this rant while the rant is fresh.

Shogun
10-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Want their addresses, Phone numbers?

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Jesus, you guys are 4chánning their asses ROFL.

They're about to learn not to fuck with /h/tards.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Want their addresses, Phone numbers?

yes, yes and yes

yhf
10-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Something like that...

and they ****ed everyone right in the ass...

and they ****ed them all right over despite ruining an entire night of business for everyone...everyone

I worked in Chicago for two years...I worked in a place with the scumbag clientele of America...I don't give a flying **** about getting stiffed by a redneck...or an ignorant piece of shit...I don't care...not one bit...doesn't bother me...never has, never will...

I'm spending my day off being heard by someone in that ****ed up place...I have the name of the girl who paid, I have the name of the girl who placed the reservation...and I'm going to go down swinging.

Seems like a righteous cause but you must realize that unless you take the proper approach your efforts may well turn into an interoffice joke. A peasant full of rage and indignation will only amuse these scumbags. In order to get their attention you must convince them that there employees indiscretion will materially affect their bottom line. Best of luck to ya. Let us know how it works out.

Shogun
10-06-2010, 12:49 AM
yes, yes and yes

Tell me the names again and I'll get to work.

CrazyPhuD
10-06-2010, 12:51 AM
Seems like a righteous cause but you must realize that unless you take the proper approach your efforts may well turn into an interoffice joke. A peasant full of rage and indignation will only amuse these scumbags. In order to get their attention you must convince them that there employees indiscretion will materially affect their bottom line. Best of luck to ya. Let us know how it works out.

While true to a degree...if you get high enough in the food chain, are properly respectful, and have a real point...the CEO etc will say ok I really don't want to have to deal with this type of shit, make it go away and/or make an example out of someone.

Mosbonian
10-06-2010, 01:06 AM
Sorry guys....I know this firm, and quite frankly all you will probably get is a politically correct response....and certainly not what you are probably looking for.

CrazyPhuD
10-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Sorry guys....I know this firm, and quite frankly all you will probably get is a politically correct response....and certainly not what you are probably looking for.

That's fine if they don't give you what you're looking for after an attempt and you want to take it to the next level the shoot and e-mail off to the local news(but obviously after they have blown you off) see if they are interested in the story. They may not be but all it costs is time.

Mosbonian
10-06-2010, 01:13 AM
That's fine if they don't give you what you're looking for after an attempt and you want to take it to the next level the shoot and e-mail off to the local news(but obviously after they have blown you off) see if they are interested in the story. They may not be but all it costs is time.

All you have to do is look them up on Wiki and find out that publicity like that would be swatting a gnat. They've had bigger issues and survived them.

JMHO....he'll get a politically correct answer and then they will make his place off limits to dinners from that point on.

yhf
10-06-2010, 01:16 AM
While true to a degree...if you get high enough in the food chain, are properly respectful, and have a real point...the CEO etc will say ok I really don't want to have to deal with this type of shit, make it go away and/or make an example out of someone.

You make a very valid point. Occasionally the squeaky wheel will get the grease. That being the case the Meat should consider the fact that a wheel will squeak much louder over the phone than on a computer screen.

Fuck email. Spend some rational, calm and well reasoned time working your way up the ladder on the phone and just maybe you can influence someone in a position of power to react to your grievance.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 01:31 AM
we'll see guys...

I'll try the email approach...

and then I'll try the phone approach...

and if nothing happens, nothing happens...I don't even expect anything to happen...I'd rather just have the guilty party realize how unacceptable their actions were...

It's not like I expect them to send up $$$, gifts or hookers.

Buck
10-06-2010, 01:36 AM
Like this guy is going to give a shit. He's probably the one who makes them tip shitty.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=a5pT_fv7.d9o&refer=news

BDO Seidman to Pay $521.7 Million Damages, Jury Says (Update3)

Aug. 14 (Bloomberg) -- BDO Seidman LLP must pay $521.7 million for failing to detect a fraud that led to the collapse of a client company, a jury found, imposing punitive damages the firm's chief executive officer said it couldn't pay.

The Miami state court jury today added $351.7 million in punitive damages to yesterday's award of $170 million for actual damages in a lawsuit brought by a Portuguese bank claiming millions in losses from the destruction of E.S. Bankest LLC.

BDO Chief Executive Officer Jack Weisbaum testified today that his firm ``could not pay punitive damages,'' and a lawyer said BDO would be forced to cut jobs if yesterday's award was increased. Attorney Adam Cole asked the CEO on the stand whether BDO could keep serving clients if forced to pay punitive damages.

``Probably not,'' Weisbaum said. ``It would be very difficult. We certainly wouldn't look the way we do now.'' He said BDO, the seventh-largest U.S. accounting firm, ``could not pay punitive damages.''

Weisbaum said after the verdict that the firm plans to appeal. The company is prepared to put up a $50 million bond as required by state law, Weisbaum said.

``We do have insurance to cover this, but I cannot talk about the amount of the insurance,'' he said.

In his closing arguments to the jury, Steven Thomas, a lawyer for the plaintiff, Banco Espirito Santo SA, Portugal's third-largest bank, urged jurors to award the bank the amount finally reached by today's decision, $521.7 million. That is how much in fake Bankest accounts receivable BDO Seidman certified as real, he said.

`Gratified'

``We're gratified that the jury recognized the importance of the public trust vested in BDO Seidman and their violation of that public trust,'' Thomas said after the verdict. lier, Seidman attorney Arturo Alvarez urged jurors not to add to the money the firm must pay.

``You may not award an amount that would financially destroy the defendant, particularly a defendant who didn't steal the money,'' Alvarez said. ``Here you had thieves that stole the money. We are a victim too, because there is not a single bit of evidence that we knew what was going on.''

Punitive damages would destroy the company and its 2,800 employees, Alvarez said.

``That's not fair and that's not justice,'' he said.

The firm reported July 24 that revenue for the fiscal year ended June 30 increased 6 percent to $589 million, according to its Web site.

`Big Problem'

``The big problem is a single case can bring down a big firm,'' University of Georgia Professor Dennis Beresford said.

Firms such as BDO Seidman typically distribute most of their profit to partners each year, leaving little in reserve for large legal judgments, said Beresford, a former chairman of the Financial Accounting Standards Board.

``The real issue is going to be what happens in the appeal,'' Beresford said.

Banco Espirito sued Seidman in 2004 over losses it suffered when E.S. Bankest collapsed. The bank accused Seidman accountants of approving false financial records at the company.

Banco Espirito in 1998 formed Bankest, a company that bought accounts receivable and collected the debt, as a joint venture with Bankest Capital. The bank loaned Bankest $140 million and offered a $30 million line of credit based on BDO's assurance of its financial health, the bank's lawyers said.

Fake Accounts

Bankest officials faked millions of dollars in accounts receivable to support borrowing, U.S. authorities said. Banco Espirito sold its interest in 2002 for $10 million, Cole said.

After the fraud was uncovered, Bankest went bankrupt. Four executives were convicted of crimes at a trial, and five others pleaded guilty. A former CEO was sentenced to 20 years in prison this month.

BDO Seidman Lawyers denied the firm was to blame for the bank's loss. Banco Espirito had four of its own executives on Bankest's board and shouldn't have relied on audits to spot fraud, the lawyers said.

Seidman's verdict is the latest blow to an accounting industry that saw Arthur Andersen LLP destroyed by criminal charges related to Enron Corp. and KPMG LLP consult bankruptcy lawyers before reaching an agreement to avoid charges over illegal tax shelters. Andersen was once the fifth-largest firm, and KPMG is fourth-largest.

The largest accounting firms were once known as the Big Eight. After mergers and the Arthur Andersen collapse, those in the industry talk of the Big Four: KPMG, PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP, Deloitte & Touche LLP and Ernst & Young LLP.

The case is Banco Espirito Santo International Ltd. v. BDO Seidman LLP, 04-14009-CA-01, 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida (Miami-Dade County).

To contact the reporter on this story: Sophia Pearson in Miami at spearson3@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editors responsible for this story: Patrick Oster at poster@bloomberg.net; Erik Schatzker at eschatzker@bloomberg.net.

Buck
10-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Apparently that was overturned...

On June 24, 2010 the American Lawyer wrote, “Florida's Third District Court of Appeal tossed out one of the largest audit malpractice verdicts in U.S. history Wednesday, ruling that a new trial was necessary in a six-year-old court battle between Chicago-based accounting firm BDO Seidman and Portuguese bank Espirito Santo. In August 2007 a jury in Miami awarded Espirito Santo $521.7 million--$170 million in compensatory damages and nearly $352 million in punitive damages--over allegedly negligent audits that BDO conducted on a corrupt Espirito Santo subsidiary…But in a 20-page ruling, a three-judge appellate panel unanimously concluded that the 2007 trial was wrongly bifurcated into separate sections and that jurors were forced to determine BDO's liability too early in the case… The Florida appeals court's ruling seriously undermined Espirito Santo's claim that BDO should reimburse the bank for $140 million in debenture notes that it had sold its clients while making another $30 million in loans to a subsidiary as part of a shareholder agreement. One of those noteholders testified for Espirito Santo at trial that they relied on BDO's audit opinions, which the trial judge deemed sufficient to sustain the claims of other investors. But the appeals court found fault with that reasoning, ruling that Espirito Santo would have to call every noteholder if it wanted to argue that each one relied on BDO's audits before buying notes sold by Espirito Santo."

jAZ
10-06-2010, 02:01 AM
Heh... I should have finished reading the thread since you guys found it. But you know how I found out that you guys already found it?

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&num=10&hl=en&q=%22jweisbaum%22+%2B%22%40bdo.com%22&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=%22jweisbaum%22+%2B%22%40bdo.com%22&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=baefd9eb4000c306

only two pages come up. Both are pretty interesting.

HMc
10-06-2010, 02:05 AM
how much was the tip? how much is a satisfactory tip?

jAZ
10-06-2010, 02:09 AM
Well, I guess you guys didn't definitively find it and are still speculating.

Check out my link above. Everything you need is there.

Phone, Email, Name of Admin, etc.

btlook1
10-06-2010, 02:22 AM
I to am curious as to what kind of and even if you get a response. Please feel us in on the details when you have time. Good luck!!

kstater
10-06-2010, 04:21 AM
Yeah, even money Hootie gets fired over this. No way it looks good for your servers to track down customers to bitch them out.

Chief Pote
10-06-2010, 04:27 AM
Yeah, even money Hootie gets fired over this. No way it looks good for your servers to track down customers to bitch them out.

Hootie doesn't need that job...he has enough money. He's GOT to be a trust fund baby.

LaChapelle
10-06-2010, 04:30 AM
The out is so easy it's laughable
food/service/atmosphere/accounting HJ

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-06-2010, 05:17 AM
What flavor boar cum do you expect them to like. I can add them to my shipping list.

blaise
10-06-2010, 05:58 AM
Hootie, I'm being serious here- don't write whatever you write the way you usually do here. Don't write one sentence then a bunch of dots, then a half sentence and more dots. It's going to make you look like a total kook.

InChiefsHeaven
10-06-2010, 06:19 AM
My money is on the idea that they will have their side of the story as well. At the end of the day, it'll feel good to bitch, but it's not like anything will come of it. But, it'll feel good. Maybe.

KCFalcon59
10-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Something like that...

Seems to me that the bar/restaurant is at fault for not automatically including the tip on large groups like most well run establishments. I'd bitch to management for being dumb asses.

rad
10-06-2010, 06:59 AM
Damn......isn't against CP Law to post personal info? Yours or others?

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 07:02 AM
Seems to me that the bar/restaurant is at fault for not automatically including the tip on large groups like most well run establishments. I'd bitch to management for being dumb asses.
Gotta agree with this.

Saulbadguy
10-06-2010, 07:06 AM
Something like that...

:LOL:

Hell hath no fury like Hootie scorned. This should be entertaining.

blaise
10-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Damn......isn't against CP Law to post personal info? Yours or others?

Corporate information posted on a company website isn't personal. Is that what you're asking?

Donger
10-06-2010, 07:11 AM
So, Hootie's angry because the gratuity WAS included in the bill and the bill WAS paid, PLUS a 3% additional tip?

InChiefsHeaven
10-06-2010, 07:11 AM
Gotta agree with this.

Indeed. What if they assumed that the 15% had been added and thought they were going over and above??

Saulbadguy
10-06-2010, 07:12 AM
So, Hootie's angry because the gratuity WAS included in the bill and the bill WAS paid, PLUS a 3% additional tip?

He wasn't clear about that.

Donger
10-06-2010, 07:14 AM
He wasn't clear about that.

That's why I asked.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Indeed. What if they assumed that the 15% had been added and thought they were going over and above??
He said they asked if gratuity was included, so I'm assuming it wasn't and the 3% is all they got.

notorious
10-06-2010, 07:20 AM

We have a winner!

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is a no-brainer.

rad
10-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Corporate information posted on a company website isn't personal. Is that what you're asking?

No. Somebody asked if he wanted addresses and phone #'s, he said yes........

notorious
10-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Hootie, you have been doing this long enough to know that large groups automatically assume that the tip is included with large groups.

Wow.

If the waitresses hadn't been screwed over by management dumbassery, I would be ROFL.

Simply Red
10-06-2010, 07:23 AM
doesn't surprise me, if it's a group of dirtballs, they'll play the 'we're together in a group, so it's easier to hide my dirtball ways, card' -- honestly, you kind of annoy me, Hootie. But I'm with you on this one. I too would be pissed about this.

Lex Luthor
10-06-2010, 07:23 AM
Since the restaurant didn't include an 18% gratuity in the bill, the restaurant is f*cking retarded.

That doesn't do anything to help the servers who got screwed, but it's a fact. Smart restaurants make sure they don't get screwed by big parties.

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Since the restaurant didn't include an 18% gratuity in the bill, the restaurant is f*cking retarded.

That doesn't do anything to help the servers who got screwed, but it's a fact. Smart restaurants make sure they don't get screwed by big parties.

Exactly.

And do you really think anyone - employees, management, local news - to care about a low tip? It happens everyday is hardly newsworthy.

If anything, Hootie's restaurant will come off looking pathetic and creepy for hunting down low tippers.

loochy
10-06-2010, 07:58 AM
aha!

Think I found her on facebook....would rather send an email, though...rather than a long, creepy facebook message.

So can your rep yourself for this find?

Hootie
10-06-2010, 08:52 AM
first off...they asked ME PERSONALLY if gratuity was included and I said no.

Secondly...our restaurant deals with college recruiters and large parties on a daily basis...we CAN include gratuity, but I personally think it is very tacky...we probably have 20 of these parties per week and I can't think of one that has ever pulled off such a stunt...not to mention that Tuesday features the best three workers we have on staff.

I know you all love to pile on and it's fun for you...but like I said...it wasn't about the money, it was about the principle.

They filled 60% of our restaurant...20 people more than they had a reservation for showed up to which we accommodated...we sent several tables away because we had no room and the wait was going to be two hours (on a Tuesday)...and they cost us 5 hours of taking tables...it's not the fact that they totally dicked us...it's the fact that them dicking us cost us 15 other tables that most likely wouldn't dick us...

and you guys nailed the CEO's email on the nose...I've already received a response from the executive of human capital and he wants to talk with me on the phone Thursday regarding the actions of his team.

I was so worked up yesterday that part of me wants to keep on going...I sent quite the rant and I sent it to about 10 people in that company...but the other part of me HATES confrontation and although I know I'm 100% in the right (I've done this for 6.5 years and I have never been offended, let alone totally flustered and pissed off while at work), maybe I should just let it go...

Simply Red
10-06-2010, 08:55 AM

Secondly...our restaurant deals with college recruiters and large parties on a daily basis...we CAN include gratuity, but I personally think it is very tacky...we probably have 20 of these parties per week and I can't think of one that has ever pulled off such a stunt...not to mention that Tuesday features the best three workers we have on staff.

I know you all love to pile on and it's fun for you...but like I said...it wasn't about the money, it was about the principle.

They filled 60% of our restaurant...20 people more than they had a reservation for showed up to which we accommodated...we sent several tables away because we had no room and the wait was going to be two hours (on a Tuesday)...and they cost us 5 hours of taking tables...it's not the fact that they totally dicked us...it's the fact that them dicking us cost us 15 other tables that most likely wouldn't dick us...

and you guys nailed the CEO's email on the nose...I've already received a response from the executive of human capital and he wants to talk with me on the phone Thursday regarding the actions of his team.

I was so worked up yesterday that part of me wants to keep on going...I sent quite the rant and I sent it to about 10 people in that company...but the other part of me HATES confrontation and although I know I'm 100% in the right (I've done this for 6.5 years and I have never been offended, let alone totally flustered and pissed off while at work), maybe I should just let it go...

I hope you stayed anonymous. What if they contacted the restaurant? ...Just saying.

Donger
10-06-2010, 08:59 AM

They probably just forgot and assumed that the gratuity was included.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:00 AM

which is why I probably will end this witch hunt right now...

It is TECHNICALLY my fault. You are right.

We have two full time employees in the front of house where I work...me and another guy and we, and I promise it's not tough work, are tremendous employees...

Neither of us ever use the gratuity button...ever. During the school year (we live right smack on campus) we serve as many 30-60 person parties as 4 person tables...that's what we do.

I have never experienced anything like this...

There were no warning signs...it was an ACCOUNTING FIRM...a large accounting firm...

and in no way could any of us seen it coming...

They received great service, we let them break our fire code (which the owner would not have been happy with) when we gave them extra tables and chairs to a place where they didn't belong when 75 people showed up rather than 60...and they preordered their pizza and it came out exactly right, exactly on time...an we let them loiter and pitch their recruitment for two hours after they were done eating...which caused us to turn away several large tables without a reservation.

You're right...TECHNICALLY it is my fault which is why I need to let it go right now...

But I've never felt insulted at work before...and yesterday is the first time anything has ever pushed me off my "game"...seriously. I couldn't believe it...and it negatively impacted the rest of the time I was there...as I was FUMING...and it wasn't because of the lack of tip, it was because it was insulting...it was because one kid was there for 5 hours and walked home with $7 and he works twice a week...it was because they used where I work for 5 hours and then proceeded to shit all over every single person that helped them out and then had to clean up after them...

When a 4-10 person table decides not to tip...fine. Promise. No sweat off my back...I've seen it all...I've worked in restaurants where half of the clientele doesn't tip...I don't care.

But this was outrageous and caused me to right my first ever rant email to anyone and everyone who would listen.

Chief Pote
10-06-2010, 09:01 AM
I've already received a response from the executive of human capital and he wants to talk with me on the phone Thursday regarding the actions of his team.

That's so effin funny. I can't believe they are giving you the time of day about your issue. Yeah you got stiffed. Big deal. BTW....I've gotten shitty service in a restaurant, in fact we eat out 5 times a week and can't find good service from many establishments. I probably get shitty service from 2 out of 5 and do I complain to management? Fuck no. I move on and chock it up to inexperience. I'd laugh if you called me.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:02 AM
I hope you stayed anonymous. What if they contacted the restaurant? ...Just saying.

I DIDN'T stay anonymous and I PURPOSELY didn't stay anonymous...

I don't think they'd fire me as I've been a damn good employee since the day I was hired...

but I would laugh my ass off if this did get me fired because it would just be the cherry on top...

the most insulting table not only spits in my face but proceeds to cost me my job...that would be about right.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Yup, that's on the restaurant.

I was a waiter for a couple of years and on occasion we'd have something like that happen. The kitchen would mess up or a software error would throw off the bill and one of our servers would end up getting hosed out of a pretty sizeable tip.

On more than one occasion our GM took it upon himself to make it right for the servers. I saw him 'comp' out gift cards then give the cash value to the server to make up for a screw job. I watched him pull money out of his own wallet once to take care of a girl that got shafted.

The bottom line: It's a restaurant - there are going to be assholes. It's on the restaurant and its management to take care of its people. If the management staff took a calculated risk and told the large group that a tip wasn't included in order to try to keep their business, then it's now that staff's responsibility to make it up to the wait staff they sacrificed in order to increase sales going forward.

This isn't on BDO, it's on the GM, line manager and whoever else was running the shop that night.

blaise
10-06-2010, 09:06 AM
That's so effin funny. I can't believe they are giving you the time of day about your issue. Yeah you got stiffed. Big deal. BTW....I've gotten shitty service in a restaurant, in fact we eat out 5 times a week and can't find good service from many establishments. I probably get shitty service from 2 out of 5 and do I complain to management? **** no. I move on and chock it up to inexperience. I'd laugh if you called me.

I wouldn't. Not if the employees were out representing the company. If I was the CEO I wouldn't like the employees to act like morons if they're at some sort of company function. They're reflecting on the company.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Wait...it was Hootie's call?

Way to fuck your wait staff there, chap.

I'm sure they'll feel a lot better now that you've sent an angry email. That should make up for the money they're out because you were careless.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:07 AM
That's so effin funny. I can't believe they are giving you the time of day about your issue. Yeah you got stiffed. Big deal. BTW....I've gotten shitty service in a restaurant, in fact we eat out 5 times a week and can't find good service from many establishments. I probably get shitty service from 2 out of 5 and do I complain to management? **** no. I move on and chock it up to inexperience. I'd laugh if you called me.

Different circumstance.

It's totally unacceptable and stupid to call a random customer about a shitty tip. Oh my god, I would never do that. And seriously, I would never do what I did last night if I wasn't so appalled by the way I was treated.

I've done this for far too long to take anything personal, but I did last night.

I worked in Chicago Ridge for two years...this is an area where the clientele is sketchy at best. I can't tell you HOW many times I'd give great service and get no tip. It became something I expected and I promise you I stopped caring about people and what they tip a long time ago...

Now in Champaign and in Normal the clientele is 95% good and everyone tips...that's nice. Two awesome places to work if you do what I do...

And I'm often the voice of reason for my college friends who don't have my experience, are used to making 15-20% on every table, and then get that occasional stiffing...it throws you off your game if you're not used to it...

Seriously...and it's fine.

This last night however...

You can't do that. That's not socially acceptable...and it's the first time since I was probably 20 years old that I've ever been so worked up...and I still am thinking about it. I don't expect most of you to understand...but it was insulting. Post what some of you guys do for a living and I'll post some analogies so you can better understand.

blaise
10-06-2010, 09:07 AM
I DIDN'T stay anonymous and I PURPOSELY didn't stay anonymous...

I don't think they'd fire me as I've been a damn good employee since the day I was hired...

but I would laugh my ass off if this did get me fired because it would just be the cherry on top...

the most insulting table not only spits in my face but proceeds to cost me my job...that would be about right.

I would say it depends how respectful you were in your email. And I wouldn't advise posting things on a facebook page.

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
They probably just forgot and assumed that the gratuity was included.

Agree. It's not like the bill is coming out of the Director of Recruiting's pocket. They obviously have an expense account for recruiting dinners that would cover both the bill and tip.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Wait...it was Hootie's call?

Way to **** your wait staff there, chap.

I'm sure they'll feel a lot better now that you've sent an angry email. That should make up for the money they're out because you were careless.

Don't try and act like you know how my restaurant works because you've worked at a restaurant before...

This isn't like your chain restaurant buddy...

Not at all, not one bit.

I have a lot of common sense and I have EVEN more when it comes to this industry.

I know when I'm in the wrong, and I know when I'm not in the wrong.

So please, spare me you fucking dildo...

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
I wouldn't. Not if the employees were out representing the company. If I was the CEO I wouldn't like the employees to act like morons if they're at some sort of company function. They're reflecting on the company.

another one of the points I made last night

Fish
10-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Let this be a lesson folks... don't piss off the waitstaff.... They could have a Hootie working for them...

Bane
10-06-2010, 09:13 AM
You were probably over your buildings occupancy fire code.Take your 3% and STFU /Corporate assholes.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:14 AM
Agree. It's not like the bill is coming out of the Director of Recruiting's pocket. They obviously have an expense account for recruiting dinners that would cover both the bill and tip.

oh, they forgot?

three girls came up to me...

I handed her the two bills...she asked me if gratuity was included...I said no...she said ok...they handed me a card...I ran it through for both bills and told them I needed the top two copies signed...

so lets not pretend this is a likely scenario...

I'm not going to waste my morning debating when there is no debate.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:15 AM
You can't do that. That's not socially acceptable...and it's the first time since I was probably 20 years old that I've ever been so worked up...and I still am thinking about it. I don't expect most of you to understand...but it was insulting. Post what some of you guys do for a living and I'll post some analogies so you can better understand.

Let's say I'm billing a client at an hourly rate that is the regional industry standard. When the job is over, they turn to my boss and say "hey, does the industry standard apply here?"

If my boss says "nah, just pay whatever you want" and I end up billing out at minimum wage, I'm coming for my boss's head. I know people are cheap, people are stupid and people are flat selfish. It's my management team's responsibility to ensure that its people are protected from cheap, stupid and selfish.

You fucked your staff. I'm glad you don't care about how much you make, but it's a damn shame you didn't consider your wait staff when you were being a pussy and sucking up to the head of the table.

You had the chance to take care of the people who you're now crying over and you didn't. That's on you, frat boy.

Try being an adult next time.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Don't try and act like you know how my restaurant works because you've worked at a restaurant before...

This isn't like your chain restaurant buddy...

Not at all, not one bit.

I have a lot of common sense and I have EVEN more when it comes to this industry.

I know when I'm in the wrong, and I know when I'm not in the wrong.

So please, spare me you ****ing dildo...

Sure you do, big fella.

I understand why you're so wound up. I'd feel guilty as well if I took money out of my employees' pockets.

Your 'common sense' and unbridled arrogance ****ed your co-workers last night. You may want to get a handle on it in the future.

Oh, and spare me the "you're just piling on me, douchebag" crap. I was blaming the GM before I knew it was your call.

You put yourself in his position and my position is unchanged.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 09:18 AM
I disagree with blaming Hootie. Not adding gratuity is a calculated risk, and as he said, it's tacky to do. In this case, he got burned, and in a spot where he thought there was no way he would. I also believe he's pissed about it because he's taking responsibility for his co-workers getting screwed. I've been there, I can relate to this totally. Frankly, I commend the guy for putting his job on the line by letting them know about it.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Let this be a lesson folks... don't piss off the waitstaff.... They could have a Hootie working for them...

well...

Right now I'm weighing my options.

Do I let it go and ignore the email I've received...or do I speak my fucking mind so this "team" can get a nice ream job from corporate?

I know how that works...corporate doesn't like to deal with any messes...at all.

XXXX,

Jack forwarded your message below to me as I am the Executive Director of Human Capital and oversee all our Talent strategies (including recruitment). I would like to not only address your issue but also the actions of my team. Thus, would it be possible for me to chat with you live? I am in Los Angeles today speaking at a conference then on a red-eye back to Charlotte tonight. I would welcome the chance to speak with you tomorrow if there is a time that is convenient for you.

It sounds like they are legitimately curious as to what went on, but I'm also one who prefers to avoid confrontation, although I did promise everyone that I'd spend all day today getting answers and some sort of, and here it comes again, VINDICATION for all parties involved...

Jack by the way...that's the CEO.

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 09:20 AM
oh, they forgot?

I handed her the two bills...she asked me if gratuity was included...I said no...she said ok...they handed me a card...I ran it through for both bills and told them I needed the top two copies signed...

Either they truly forgot or thought you did such a lousy job that you didn't deserve a better tip. That is the only explanation.

I guarantee the money was not coming out of a BDO employee's pocket that was at the recruiting dinner, so there was no incentive to tip lower so they could pocket the extra money.

Anyways, upside is the company makes you whole on the tip. Downside is BDO reports to your restaurant's management what you are doing and the restaurant is so embarrassed they fire you.

Believe me, a creepy waiter calling clients after a poor tip looks way worse than just giving a poor tip.

Bane
10-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Let's say I'm billing a client at an hourly rate that is the regional industry standard. When the job is over, they turn to my boss and say "hey, does the industry standard apply here?"

If my boss says "nah, just pay whatever you want" and I end up billing out at minimum wage, I'm coming for my boss's head. I know people are cheap, people are stupid and people are flat selfish. It's my management team's responsibility to ensure that its people are protected from cheap, stupid and selfish.

You ****ed your staff. I'm glad you don't care about how much you make, but it's a damn shame you didn't consider your wait staff when you were being a pussy and sucking up to the head of the table.

You had the chance to take care of the people who you're now crying over and you didn't. That's on you, frat boy.

Try being an adult next time.

ROFL

rep

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:21 AM
I disagree with blaming Hootie. Not adding gratuity is a calculated risk, and as he said, it's tacky to do. In this case, he got burned, and in a spot where he thought there was no way he would. I also believe he's pissed about it because he's taking responsibility for his co-workers getting screwed. I've been there, I can relate to this totally. Frankly, I commend the guy for putting his job on the line by letting them know about it.

It's absolutely a calculated risk.

And if it's the server's call, that risk falls on them.

But when it's someone else's call, it's incumbant on that person to make it right if it backfires.

If I tell my client to bill whatever he wants, I can't go to my boss and expect them to make up for it. But if my boss does it, that was him throwing me on the pyre for his own self interest.

I assumed the GM was simply trying to establish a business relationship, which is fine but it's now his responsibility to establish that relationship without it being at the expense of his staff. Instead it was Hootie just flipping a cavalier response. Well, that was his call and from where I sit, it's his responsibility to make it right with his staff.

Donger
10-06-2010, 09:22 AM
oh, they forgot?

Oh, so they asked AFTER the meal? How do you know that they didn't hate the food and, therefore, chose not to tip very well? Did they make any comment about the meal?

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Sure you do, big fella.

I understand why you're so wound up. I'd feel guilty as well if I took money out of my employees' pockets.

Your 'common sense' and unbridled arrogance ****ed your co-workers last night. You may want to get a handle on it in the future.

Oh, and spare me the "you're just piling on me, douchebag" crap. I was blaming the GM before I knew it was your call.

You put yourself in his position and my position is unchanged.

You're a fucking idiot dude.

I was responsible for half the check, and another guy was responsible for the other...

I needed his check...he printed it out...I looked at it and asked him..."no gratuity?" and he said no.

So I put it all in the hands of the new guy because I generally don't ever use that button because I think it's incredibly tacky and I never give bad service anyways...

In all honesty, we went above and beyond what I usually do for this party.

So please...don't try and patronize me and act like you know more about something than I do.

Technically...we should add gratuity...but I never do...

I had two draft parties at BW3...one server added gratuity and got his 15%...another server didn't and we tipped the shit out of him. I think the gratuity button is a cop out to give subpar service and it's not something I like using...I don't even use it on high school parties...it is what it is.

I big accounting firm shouldn't shit on people the way BDO shit on all of us yesterday.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 09:23 AM
If you contact this person, you should be fired immediately.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh, so they asked AFTER the meal? How do you know that they didn't hate the food and, therefore, chose not to tip very well? Did they make any comment about the meal?
The wait staff didn't cook the food. And regardless of whether they hated the food or not, they owed the wait staff something for tying up the majority of the restaurant for the night.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Technically...we should add gratuity...but I never do...

So once again:

You made the call without consulting your wait staff.

You went against standard protocal in this situation.

Your decision got your wait staff stiffed.

It's on you. I came into the thread defending both you and your wait staff and putting it at the feet of your management team. It wasn't until you made it clear it was YOU that made the careless decision that this became another thread about what a careless, juvenile fuckwit you are.

I'd really try to get a handle on that.

Hootie
Believe me, a creepy waiter calling clients after a poor tip looks way worse than just giving a poor tip.

Sure, I don't disagree. I don't disagree one bit. Now you should realize how insulted I truly feel.

6.5 years and I've never ONCE thought of doing anything like this...not once...not ever.

That should tell you what went down last night...

It was appalling.

DBOSHO
You need your privelages taken away.

Bane
10-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Absolutely.
After his coworkers beat the **** out of him for fuggtarding them out of their tip.

Hootie
So once again:

You made the call without consulting your wait staff.

You went against standard protocal in this situation.

Your decision got your wait staff stiffed.

It's on you. I came into the thread defending both you and your wait staff and putting it at the feet of your management team. It wasn't until you made it clear it was YOU that made the careless decision that this became another thread about what a careless, juvenile ****wit you are.

I'd really try to get a handle on that.

you have no idea what you're talking about...you have no idea where I work...and you have no idea what the management structure is...

so spare me

Donger
The wait staff didn't cook the food. And regardless of whether they hated the food or not, they owed the wait staff something for tying up the majority of the restaurant for the night.

They did get something. 3%

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 09:28 AM
They did get something. 3%
Which is absurd.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:32 AM

Good.

A part of me almost wouldn't mind if that were to happen...

I've been a great employee for two years...I never mess anything up...I give spectacular service...and along with one other dude...we have totally turned around a restaurant which was KNOWN for having the worst service in town...I kid you not...

They only care about the back of house, not the front of house...me and another guy turned the whole fucking place around...yet the "management" doesn't know because we go unmoderated...

So this would be excellent, I cheer for it to happen. I hope BDO phones the owner...I really do...I don't think they would ever fire me, maybe tell me to stop contacting customers...but that would be something...

A table comes in, metaphorically spits in my face, and then gets offended that I call them out to THEIR BOSSES and it ends up in me losing my job!

That would sure be something! All because people don't know how to conduct themselves on behalf of the company they represent.

But you know...I know I'm in the right...and if I want to...I know the director of human capital will know I'm right, too...

but I'm still weighing my options.

CHENZ A!
10-06-2010, 09:32 AM
:shake: I can only assume that the people in this thread who disagree with Hootie's actions either just have a problem with him, or have never worked in the service industry.

I say good job man, and I completely agree. Even if nothing ultimately comes of it, you need to stick up for yourself, and your employees.

Sometimes I miss the industry, there is a lot of fun to be had, and good money to be made.. But it is stories like these, and some of the ignorant opinions being voiced in this thread that remind me of why I'm glad I dont have to deal with that shit anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM
How much was the bill?

dirk digler
10-06-2010, 09:33 AM

I agree. They asked if gratuity was added he said no so they should have paid the correct tip.

I would like to know the total bill and how much they paid in tips if you could tell us Hootie.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Which is absurd.

the best thing is...

if the owner was there...they wouldn't have been allowed to do what we did for them...they broke every rule of fire code we have in that area of the restaurant yet we accommodated them because that was their only option when 75 people showed up instead of the 50-60 they made a reservation for...

the other thing I have going for me in this regard...

Where I work...and it's the only place this has ever been like this...the customer is NEVER right...we do so much business in this town the management/owner has no problems telling people to never come back...I kid you not...it's almost baffling.

Fish
well...

Do I let it go and ignore the email I've received...or do I speak my fucking mind so this "team" can get a nice ream job from corporate?

I know how that works...corporate doesn't like to deal with any messes...at all.

It sounds like they are legitimately curious as to what went on, but I'm also one who prefers to avoid confrontation, although I did promise everyone that I'd spend all day today getting answers and some sort of, and here it comes again, VINDICATION for all parties involved...

I think you're treading a fine line here. If you let your emotions get the best of you in any way, which they obviously already have, then the big wig is going to see you as nothing more than vindictive waitstaff and he's going to defend his employees whether they were in the wrong or not. And that would put you in a precarious position. I think if it were me, I'd do my best to play it off on the "I just wanted you to know the behavior of your company in our restaurant, nothing further is necessary unless something like this happens again on my watch." Maybe they'll take the initiative from there.

DJ's left nut
you have no idea what you're talking about...you have no idea where I work...and you have no idea what the management structure is...

so spare me

First - its a fucking restaurant. I'm pretty sure none of you report to the POTUS and I'm pretty sure you haven't stumbled onto some newfound management structure that will revolutionize the industry.

You aren't storming military outposts. You aren't cutting open chest cavities. You aren't building bridges. You're serving steaks and overpriced booze. Spare me the haughty indignation, you aren't walking on new ground here. I don't care if you work at Michael Kors; it's still a damn restaurant.

Second - How is it relevant? My management structure isn't anything like a restaurants and if my boss or co-worker made a call as to my compensation without consulting me, I'd damn sure expect them to make it right if that call ended up screwing me over.

Your arrogance, on full display in this thread, has screwed over your peers. It's also gotten in the way of you recognizing how you failed them.

Perhaps someday you'll get some perspective, but I doubt it.

Pants
10-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Good.

I've been a great employee for two years...I never mess anything up...I give spectacular service...and along with one other dude...we have totally turned around a restaurant which was KNOWN for having the worst service in town...I kid you not...

They only care about the back of house, not the front of house...me and another guy turned the whole ****ing place around...yet the "management" doesn't know because we go unmoderated...

So this would be excellent, I cheer for it to happen. I hope BDO phones the owner...I really do...I don't think they would ever fire me, maybe tell me to stop contacting customers...but that would be something...

A table comes in, metaphorically spits in my face, and then gets offended that I call them out to THEIR BOSSES and it ends up in me losing my job!

That would sure be something! All because people don't know how to conduct themselves on behalf of the company they represent.

But you know...I know I'm in the right...and if I want to...I know the director of human capital will know I'm right, too...

Quit being a pussy. You threw your options out the window when you sent the 10 emails or whatever it was. You have to finish what you started, otherwise it's a lose-lose for you.

ClevelandBronco
Ah. You already contacted them. Good luck in your job search.

blaise
well...

Do I let it go and ignore the email I've received...or do I speak my ****ing mind so this "team" can get a nice ream job from corporate?

This is what I would do:
I would thank him for his response, and for his employees business last night. I would say that I was upset last night because of this situation. I've never contacted a customer before and hopefully never will again, it's just that the large party and very small tip was frustrating to myself and my coworkers last night, as this is how we earn a living. Then I would say that today I'm feeling like I should give the employees the benefit of the doubt and recognize that this was most likely an honest mistake. I would say I appreciate the offer to speak on the phone, but it won't be necessary.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Good.

They only care about the back of house, not the front of house...me and another guy turned the whole ****ing place around...yet the "management" doesn't know because we go unmoderated...

That would sure be something!

All because people don't know how to conduct themselves on behalf of the company they represent.

Yeah. Think about this statement for a moment, sport.

Hootie
How much was the bill?

$475

and lets say that we filled the 'cafe' with 7 8 tops instead of 1 75 top...

(and we could have)...

The totals would have been significantly higher...

So by turning away tables because of the full restaurant we cut our sales by at least 30%, too.

Donger
Which is absurd.

Why is that absurd? If the meal was crap?

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:38 AM
This is what I would do:
I would thank him for his response, and for his employees business last night. I would say that I was upset last night because of this situation. I've never contacted a customer before and hopefully never will again, it's just that the large party and very small tip was frustrating to myself and my coworkers last night, as this is how we earn a living. Then I would say that today I'm feeling like I should give the employees the benefit of the doubt and recognize that this was most likely an honest mistake. I would say I appreciate the offer to speak on the phone, but it won't be necessary.

Hootie, just copy and paste this.

If you try to paraphrase, you'll fuck it up.

Blaise - you've done a young reprobate a great service here. Go have yourself a Coke.

The Franchise
$475

(and we could have)...

So by turning away tables because of the full restaurant we cut our sales by at least 30%, too.

$14.25 on a bill that large? Those people can go fuck themselves.

Hootie
I think you're treading a fine line here. If you let your emotions get the best of you in any way, which they obviously already have, then the big wig is going to see you as nothing more than vindictive waitstaff and he's going to defend his employees whether they were in the wrong or not. And that would put you in a precarious position. I think if it were me, I'd do my best to play it off on the "I just wanted you to know the behavior of your company in our restaurant, nothing further is necessary unless something like this happens again on my watch." Maybe they'll take the initiative from there.

It's not like I want them to send me $$$ in the mail...

I wanted them to know how they are being represented...

The Franchise
10-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Wait.....what the fuck were they eating? $475 for 75 people? That's like $6 a person.

Bane
10-06-2010, 09:39 AM
Quit being a pussy. You threw your options out the window when you sent the 10 emails or whatever it was. You have to finish what you started, otherwise it's a lose-lose for you.

Nah he'll fucking spin it and say he got 100 apology e mails,and a check for a $1000 tip for his good work.The company owner will probably let him drive his Bentley for the week and transport him anywhere he wants to go in the company jet.:shake:

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Why is that absurd? If the meal was crap?
Are you serious?

Because by them tying up the tables for the entire night they were denying the wait staff to make money from other customers who may have been satisfied with the food. If they had a problem with the food, they should have contacted management regarding that, that's not the fault of the wait staff.

Donger
$475

(and we could have)...

75 people = $425.00? What the hell do you serve?

Are you sure that you got the math right?

Hootie
Ah. You already contacted them. Good luck in your job search.

Well I know it strikes you guys as some big joke that even a server like myself can be a valuable employee...

but this is a family owned business and I am very close with the family, the managers and the owner...

They aren't going to fire me. They might tell me to stop sending emails to CEO's, but they aren't going to fire me.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
75 people = $425.00? What the hell do you serve?

Are you sure that you got the math right?

It's a pizza place...

They ordered 13 of our largest pizzas at $26 (base) a pop plus pitchers of soda...

Yes, I'm sure.

Donger
10-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Are you serious?

Because by them tying up the tables for the entire night they were denying the wait staff to make money from other customers who may have been satisfied with the food. If they had a problem with the food, they should have contacted management regarding that, that's not the fault of the wait staff.

I don't disagree. Hootie, did any of the party ask to speak with management at any point?

Fish
10-06-2010, 09:42 AM
It's not like I want them to send me $$$ in the mail...

I wanted them to know how they are being represented...

The big wig doesn't know that. And he's going to assume the worst if a restaurant is contacting him about a bunch of his employees' conduct there.

Pants
Wait.....what the **** were they eating? $475 for 75 people? That's like $6 a person.

Prolly had like 15 pizzas and drinks. I don't think Hootie works at an expensive place or anything.

Hootie
I don't disagree. Hootie, did any of the party ask to speak with management at any point?

No...and would you stop with the condescension?

I'm not an idiot...

I've done this for 6.5 years...can't say I'm proud...but it is what it is.

If I gave bad service, if my coworkers gave bad service...we would have added gratuity to the damn check...I know how to play the game.

Donger
10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
It's a pizza place...

They ordered 13 of our largest pizzas at $26 (base) a pop plus pitchers of soda...

Yes, I'm sure.

And what was the tip amount?

dirk digler
10-06-2010, 09:43 AM
It's a pizza place...

Yes, I'm sure.

And the tip was $14.25?

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Good.

Well I know it strikes you guys as some big joke that even a server like myself can be a valuable employee...

but this is a family owned business and I am very close with the family, the managers and the owner...

They aren't going to fire me. They might tell me to stop sending emails to CEO's, but they aren't going to fire me.

Tell ya what, champ.

Sit back, take a breath, and concoct a complete lie before you come through here trying to assemble one piece-meal in an attempt to make you look like you're the world's first indespensible bartender.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:44 AM
And the tip was $14.25?

The tip was $25, $12 of which went to bartenders/hosts...

Bane
10-06-2010, 09:45 AM
It's a pizza place...

Yes, I'm sure.

:spock:

Pants
10-06-2010, 09:45 AM

I'm not an idiot...

If I gave bad service, if my coworkers gave bad service...we would have added gratuity to the damn check...I know how to play the game.

Donger doesn't seem to get the fact that the food has nothing to do with how much you tip. In his world, he's tipping the restaurant and not the server. LOL.

Donger
10-06-2010, 09:46 AM

I'm not an idiot...

I'm not being condescending. I'm simply asking a question.

Logic tells me that they asked about the gratuity being included after the meal for a very specific reason. Two possibilities:

1) They fully intended to stiff you even after enjoying the meal.

2) They didn't enjoy the meal and wanted to see if they were going to be forced into tipping you 15-20% even though they didn't like the meal.

FAX
10-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I fight like hell gone wild on monkey island for Mr. Hootie's thread privileges ... and this is what we get?

FAX

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:47 AM
It's a pizza place...

Yes, I'm sure.

HAHAHAHA!!!

For fuck's sake - which Gino's do you work at? Or is it Uno?

"You don't know where I work, it's not some chain restaurant..."

It's a fucking pizzaria. You tend bar at a glorified Minskeys.

You are the biggest fucking joke in the history of the spoken word. Get over yourself.

And apologize to the staff you screwed over last night.

Donger
10-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Donger doesn't seem to get the fact that the food has nothing to do with how much you tip. In his world, he's tipping the restaurant and not the server. LOL.

Absolutely the food has a lot to do with it. I'm not going out for the atmosphere and the attitude. If the meal sucks, I would probably not tip anywhere near 20% like I normally do.

I realize that the waiter doesn't cook the food.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Tell ya what, champ.

Sit back, take a breath, and concoct a complete lie before you come through here trying to assemble one piece-meal in an attempt to make you look like you're the world's first indespensible bartender.

Whatever man.

This isn't fucking Chilis...

Don't try and act like you know where I work or how things work...

You're an arrogant asshole man...you really are. I don't have to tell you about my personal life or my work life...

You have no idea how this place is operated so don't try and act like you do...

You're an asshole, and a piece of shit, and I am simply done responding to you in this thread because all you're trying to do is what you always do...be a know-it-all when you don't know the circumstance...you're a bitter little pussy and I hope someone breaks into your house and shits AIDS into your oatmeal.

Hootie
10-06-2010, 09:51 AM
this thread has served its purpose for me...I got what I needed now I'm done...

Pants
10-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Absolutely the food has a lot to do with it.

No, it doesn't. You're tipping for the service provided by the server. If the service was good, you tip 20%. If you didn't like the food, you chalk it up to trying a new place that you didn't like and never going there again. Simple enough.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Whatever man.

This isn't ****ing Chilis...

Don't try and act like you know where I work or how things work...

You're an arrogant asshole man...you really are. I don't have to tell you about my personal life or my work life...

You have no idea how this place is operated so don't try and act like you do...

You're right, it isn't Chili's.

Now go get me a pepperoni w/ extra cheese. And put some crushed red pepper in the sauce, it makes it super awesome.

Can I write my name on the walls of your fine establishment?

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 09:53 AM
Absolutely the food has a lot to do with it. I'm not going out for the atmosphere and the attitude. If the meal sucks, I would probably not tip anywhere near 20% like I normally do.

I realize that the waiter doesn't cook the food.
If the meal sucks, you should still tip based on the service you received, and notify the management regarding your dissatisfaction, or just not go back there again.

You should also tip more if you spend an extraordinary time at your table.

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 09:54 AM
If one of my employees did this and I found out, I would fire them immediately.

You have just guaranteed that I will get no more business from this organization - one that just came in the other night and spent several hundred dollars on product.

Further the name of the chain has been tarnished by these petulant and vindictive actions and we are probably going to get bad word of mouth originating from at least a handful of people, costing me even more business.

I would be on this company's doorstep with a free lunch offer trying to repair this relationship the next day. Businesses are probably a huge revenue stream, and losing a big account because some high school dropout didn't get a tip is just beyond the pale.

I can find another loser to pour beer. This is inexcusable conduct by an employee not authorized to act in any such way and I would have their ass as soonas they showed upfor the next shift if I found out.

Donger
10-06-2010, 09:54 AM
No, it doesn't. You're tipping for the service provided by the server. If the service was good, you tip 20%. If you didn't like the food, you chalk it up to trying a new place that you didn't like and never going there again. Simple enough.

No, I'm tipping for everything. If the food sucks, the waiter doesn't get 20%. Period.

If the waiter doesn't like that, go and have the discussion with the cook.

Donger
10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
If the meal sucks, you should still tip based on the service you received, and notify the management regarding your dissatisfaction, or just not go back there again.

You should also tip more if you spend an extraordinary time at your table.

I don't disagree.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
This was a very different thread last night. Then this morning the people who actually know something about how to conduct themselves in business showed up and spoiled the self-righteous riot.

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 09:56 AM
HAHAHAHA!!!

For ****'s sake - which Gino's do you work at? Or is it Uno?

"You don't know where I work, it's not some chain restaurant..."

It's a ****ing pizzaria. You tend bar at a glorified Minskeys.

You are the biggest ****ing joke in the history of the spoken word. Get over yourself.

And apologize to the staff you screwed over last night.

LMAO. Mean but Hootie had it coming acting like he worked at f'n Nobu or something.

A pizza place? :doh!:

DJ's left nut
this thread has served its purpose for me...I got what I needed now I'm done...

Phew.

Glad we straightened that out.

For what it's worth, I got as much enjoyment out of your contorting machinations in this thread as I got from Rainman's "franchise index", and that thread was brilliant.

But seriously, my cheese toast came out cold. Someone tell your Le Cordon Bleu trained chefs that they need to turn up the burner on warming line 2. The cheese isn't bubbly enough.

ClevelandBronco
If one of my employees did this and I found out, I would fire them immediately.

You have just guaranteed that I will get no more business from this organization - one that just came in the other night and spent several hundred dollars on product.

Further the name of the chain has been tarnished by these petulant and vindictive actions and we are probably going to get bad word of mouth originating from at least a handful of people, costing me even more business.

I can find another loser to pour beer. This is inexcusable conduct by an employee not authorized to act in any such way and I would have their ass as soonas they showed upfor the next shift if I found out.

That pretty much sums it up.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 09:58 AM
This was a very different thread last night. Then this morning the people who actually know something about how to conduct themselves in business showed up and spoiled the self-righteous riot.

Stupid adults, always spoil the fun.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 09:58 AM
No, I'm tipping for everything. If the food sucks, the waiter doesn't get 20%. Period.

I don't agree with that, but I will say this much, if the food is bad enough to the point where it's affecting the tips, it's time for that server to go find somewhere else to work. I don't believe you're the only person who does that, as wrong as it is.

Pants
10-06-2010, 09:59 AM

I know, that's why I said "in your world". What you are doing is wrong, but nobody can stop you from doing it. I can guarantee you that when you tip low, the server isn't thinking it was because of the food no matter what the circumstance was.

Now, if the food is prepared wrong (like a steak being medium when you ordered it rare) then, yeah, I can see tipping low on that because you don't know whether it was the server's fault or the cook's. They can have words about that and it's not really your concern.

Donger
10-06-2010, 10:00 AM
I don't agree with that, but I will say this much, if the food is bad enough to the point where it's affecting the tips, it's time for that server to go find somewhere else to work. I don't believe you're the only person who does that, as wrong as it is.

Well, think about what (I think) you are saying: if I like everything about the dining experience (food, atmosphere, attitude, wait staff), I should tip 20%, right?

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Well, think about what (I think) you are saying: if I like everything about the dining experience (food, atmosphere, attitude, wait staff), I should tip 20%, right?
The tip is supposed to be based on the level of service you receive from the server, and nothing else. There are a lot of people who don't see it that way though.

Chiefnj2
10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
I know, that's why I said "in your world". What you are doing is wrong, but nobody can stop you from doing it. I can guarantee you that when you tip low, the server isn't thinking it was because of the food no matter what the circumstance was.

If you are returning a plate full of food and say no thanks to the doggy bag, it might give a clue that you didn't quite like the food.

Param
10-06-2010, 10:05 AM
How did you make the decision of say, parties of 6 or more, to not have a mandatory 18% taken out. You messed up. That should always be policy at your establishment.

And calling the company to complain? What for?

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Regarding the food quality - if the food at the place is just generally lousy, I'd look for a new place to work. Like it or not, if the dinner is bad, the server is likely going to take at least a little bit of a hit. If you really like your server and the food is great, you'll get in that 25-30% range because you're in a good mood. If you really like your server and the food sucks, you'll get with 20%. Whether you meant to punish the server or not, you did.

However, if the food is usually good and today it sucked, the waiter can usually do a lot to solve that. If you have any credibility with your management, you can get a meal comped (I had a GM that would just give me his comp card as a shift leader). If your kitchen has any respect for you, you can get a 'fire' meal done and get it all re-made and out ahead of the line.

If the waiter doesn't inquire and/or doesn't do anything to solve the problem, well that reflects on the server.

I know I didn't work at a pizza joint or anything, but I feel qualified to speak to this point. The server can do a bunch of things to salvage a meal if the quality doesn't go according to script.

Donger
10-06-2010, 10:14 AM
The tip is supposed to be based on the level of service you receive from the server, and nothing else. There are a lot of people who don't see it that way though.

And, if I like everything but the food, I should still tip 20%?

InChiefsHeaven
10-06-2010, 10:15 AM
If the food is un-satisfactory, (steak not cooked right, wrong side item, whatever)I inform the server. It's up to them to make it right, and IMO they better go above and beyond. If the food just tastes bad to me because it's my palet, well, I don't hold that against the server.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I would.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:17 AM
If the food is un-satisfactory, (steak not cooked right, wrong side item, whatever)I inform the server. It's up to them to make it right, and IMO they better go above and beyond. If the food just tastes bad to me because it's my palet, well, I don't hold that against the server.
Well yeah, if they screwed up your order that's on them.

Pants
10-06-2010, 10:18 AM

You're not tipping for food. What's your point?

Donger
10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
I would.

I wouldn't. I'd tip 15%

You're basically saying that the food means nothing (like Metro).

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 10:19 AM
You're not tipping for food. What's your point?

It's his money. He can base his tip on eyebrow grooming for all you should care.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't. I'd tip 15%

You're basically saying that the food means nothing (like Metro).
It means something when you pay your bill, not when you leave a tip.

Pants
It's his money. He can base his tip on eyebrow grooming for all you should care.

I know. I said as much in my previous posts.

chiefsnorth
Question:

It is virtually guaranteed that someone from this company is going to contact the chain - either the local manager, or corporate. Did this idiot sign his name to any of these emails?

Will he come back here and tell us after he is terminated?

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
You guys can talk about how to run a business, and that's fine. But when you pay your employees half the minimum wage and this shit happens, don't be surprised when they react this way. I mean, after all, tips is THEIR business. And since they're not paid a living wage to do the job they do, this is the risk a business owner runs for paying them so shitty. Fire him. But don't be surprised when the next one does it too. This is definitely a 2 way street.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:26 AM
You guys can talk about how to run a business, and that's fine. But when you pay your employees half the minimum wage and this shit happens, don't be surprised when they react this way. I mean, after all, tips is THEIR business. And since they're not paid a living wage to do the job they do, this is the risk a business owner runs for paying them so shitty. Fire him. But don't be surprised when the next one does it too. This is definitely a 2 way street.
Not to mention it was definitely a dick move by the company to cheap out and invade a small restaurant for an entire evening while they turned away other customers instead of renting a party room somewhere for their event.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
I know. I said as much in my previous posts.

Oh. If you had said as much then shut the fuck up I probably wouldn't have pointed out that it's none of your fucking business.

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 10:29 AM

When you accept this job you know that once in a while you are going to get stiffed. That is the nature of the work. That does not give you cause to go off acting as an agent of my business when you are not, trying to collect a debt that is not owed and costing me money. There is no calculus by which his actions make any sense at all.

His share of the gratutiy on $475 was only going to be, what, $20? He wrecked a business account over $20.

I'd fire him twice if I could.

Ming the Merciless
10-06-2010, 10:30 AM
Stephanie Polon
Director Of Campus Recruiting
BDO

Ms. Polon,

This is to voice my dissatisfaction with BDO's fusillades. First things first: Purists may object to my failure to present specific examples of BDO's lecherous op-ed pieces. Fortunately, I do have an explanation for this omission. The explanation demands an understanding of how when BDO tells us that denominationalism is the key to world peace, it somehow fails to mention that its iconoclastic pronouncements are an evil without remedy. It fails to mention that its proxies can read some crock of phlegmatic, mendacious drivel it once wrote and believe that they've read something really profound. And it fails to mention that its hastily mounted campaigns are one part pauperism, two parts teetotalism. For proof of this fact I must point out that from the perspective of those inside its camp, science is merely a tool invented by the current elite to maintain power. The reality, however, is that BDO's circulars represent a backward step of hundreds of years, a backward step into a chasm with no bottom save the endless darkness of death.

One could truthfully say that I pray for the day when those who plunge the whole of Christendom into wars and chaos will see what they're doing to the world and to all of its citizens. But saying that would miss the real point, which is that the biggest supporters of its perverted, devious jeremiads are lewd usurers and clumsy twits. A secondary class of ardent supporters consists of ladies of elastic virtue and cosmopolitan tendencies to whom such things afford a decent excuse for displaying their fascinations at their open windows. BDO's lies come in many forms. Some of its lies are in the form of ideologies. Others are in the form of perversions. Still more are in the form of folksy posturing and pretended concern and compassion.

For all of the foregoing reasons, I can confidently claim that BDO decries or dismisses capitalism, technology, industrialization, and systems of government borne of Enlightenment ideas about the dignity and freedom of human beings. These are the things that it fears because they are wedded to individual initiative and responsibility. Given that BDO carries nothing but hatred and destruction in its heart, it stands to reason that we must transcend local prejudices. This call to action begins with you. You must be the first to follow through on the critical work that has already begun. You must be the one to lay the groundwork for an upcoming attempt to institute change. And you must inform your fellow man that if the past is any indication of the future, BDO will once again attempt to pigeonhole people into predetermined categories.

BDO's uncompanionable hypnopompic insights serve only to illuminate its lack of good taste and decency. It is no more complicated than that. I heard through the grapevine that nugatory, merciless despotism has long been the nucleus of BDO's suggestions. Whether or not this rumor is true, I've heard it say that our unalienable rights are merely privileges that it can dole out or retract. Was that just a slip of the lip, or is BDO secretly trying to sensationalize all of the issues? The answer is quite simple. I already listed several possibilities, but because BDO lacks the ability to remember beyond the last two seconds of its existence I will restate what I said before for its sake: Not only does it turn me, a typically mild-mannered person, into a squalid vat of academicism, but it then commands its subalterns, "Go, and do thou likewise."

BDO has become so incorrigible, so moved beyond the realm of reason, that I feel compelled to arraign it at the tribunal of public opinion, and besides, I am not trying to save the world—I gave up that pursuit a long time ago. But I am trying to do something good for others. We must recognize that BDO has a penchant for counterinsurgency and clandestine operations. That's probably obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse. Nevertheless, I suspect that few people reading this letter are aware that I have a misty, inchoate suspicion that BDO will leave a generation of people planted in the mud of a drugged-out world to begin a new life in the shadows of vigilantism in the near future. Even so, I have a soft spot for uncontrollable schmoes: a bog not too far from here. BDO wants to create a regime of sexist alcoholism. What's wrong with that? What's wrong is BDO's gossamer grasp of reality. I would like to close by saying that BDO harbors a sense of entitlement and an expectation of success beyond reason.

Yours Truly,

Hootie from Chiefs Planet

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 10:31 AM
Not to mention it was definitely a dick move by the company to cheap out and invade a small restaurant for an entire evening while they turned away other customers instead of renting a party room somewhere for their event.

Are you serious? It was a Tuesday night in bumf#ck Illinois in the middle of a recession, and you want to blame the company for filling up tables? I guarantee that the restaurant owner is not upset about anything. The company helped him make payroll last night.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 10:32 AM
When you accept this job you know that once in a while you are going to get stiffed. That is the nature of the work. That does not give you cause to go off acting as an agent of my business when you are not, trying to collect a debt that is not owed and costing me money. There is no calculus by which his actions make any sense at all.

His share of the gratutiy on $475 was only going to be, what, $20? He wrecked a business account over $20.

I'd fire him twice if I could.

Business owners do it all the time. Servers/Waitstaff are their own business owners in my eyes at $4 hr. If you ran a business and someone stiffed you on your work, you'd take them to court at best, or tell them to fuck off at worst. He obviously can't take them to court over this, telling them to fuck off is perfectly acceptable in this isolated incident. There aren't many excuses for this behavior, this is absolutely one of them. This company looks like assholes over $50. Pathetic.

Bane
10-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Stephanie Polon
Director Of Campus Recruiting
BDO

Ms. Polon,

This is to voice my dissatisfaction with BDO's fusillades. First things first: Purists may object to my failure to present specific examples of BDO's lecherous op-ed pieces. Fortunately, I do have an explanation for this omission. The explanation demands an understanding of how when BDO tells us that denominationalism is the key to world peace, it somehow fails to mention that its iconoclastic pronouncements are an evil without remedy. It fails to mention that its proxies can read some crock of phlegmatic, mendacious drivel it once wrote and believe that they've read something really profound. And it fails to mention that its hastily mounted campaigns are one part pauperism, two parts teetotalism. For proof of this fact I must point out that from the perspective of those inside its camp, science is merely a tool invented by the current elite to maintain power. The reality, however, is that BDO's circulars represent a backward step of hundreds of years, a backward step into a chasm with no bottom save the endless darkness of death.

One could truthfully say that I pray for the day when those who plunge the whole of Christendom into wars and chaos will see what they're doing to the world and to all of its citizens. But saying that would miss the real point, which is that the biggest supporters of its perverted, devious jeremiads are lewd usurers and clumsy twits. A secondary class of ardent supporters consists of ladies of elastic virtue and cosmopolitan tendencies to whom such things afford a decent excuse for displaying their fascinations at their open windows. BDO's lies come in many forms. Some of its lies are in the form of ideologies. Others are in the form of perversions. Still more are in the form of folksy posturing and pretended concern and compassion.

For all of the foregoing reasons, I can confidently claim that BDO decries or dismisses capitalism, technology, industrialization, and systems of government borne of Enlightenment ideas about the dignity and freedom of human beings. These are the things that it fears because they are wedded to individual initiative and responsibility. Given that BDO carries nothing but hatred and destruction in its heart, it stands to reason that we must transcend local prejudices. This call to action begins with you. You must be the first to follow through on the critical work that has already begun. You must be the one to lay the groundwork for an upcoming attempt to institute change. And you must inform your fellow man that if the past is any indication of the future, BDO will once again attempt to pigeonhole people into predetermined categories.

BDO's uncompanionable hypnopompic insights serve only to illuminate its lack of good taste and decency. It is no more complicated than that. I heard through the grapevine that nugatory, merciless despotism has long been the nucleus of BDO's suggestions. Whether or not this rumor is true, I've heard it say that our unalienable rights are merely privileges that it can dole out or retract. Was that just a slip of the lip, or is BDO secretly trying to sensationalize all of the issues? The answer is quite simple. I already listed several possibilities, but because BDO lacks the ability to remember beyond the last two seconds of its existence I will restate what I said before for its sake: Not only does it turn me, a typically mild-mannered person, into a squalid vat of academicism, but it then commands its subalterns, "Go, and do thou likewise."

BDO has become so incorrigible, so moved beyond the realm of reason, that I feel compelled to arraign it at the tribunal of public opinion, and besides, I am not trying to save the world—I gave up that pursuit a long time ago. But I am trying to do something good for others. We must recognize that BDO has a penchant for counterinsurgency and clandestine operations. That's probably obvious to a blind man on a galloping horse. Nevertheless, I suspect that few people reading this letter are aware that I have a misty, inchoate suspicion that BDO will leave a generation of people planted in the mud of a drugged-out world to begin a new life in the shadows of vigilantism in the near future. Even so, I have a soft spot for uncontrollable schmoes: a bog not too far from here. BDO wants to create a regime of sexist alcoholism. What's wrong with that? What's wrong is BDO's gossamer grasp of reality. I would like to close by saying that BDO harbors a sense of entitlement and an expectation of success beyond reason.

Yours Truly,

Hootie from Chiefs Planet

ROFL EPIC!

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Are you serious? It was a Tuesday night in bumf#ck Illinois in the middle of a recession, and you want to blame the company for filling up tables? I guarantee that the restaurant owner is not upset about anything. The company helped him make payroll last night.
Hey, well at least the owner is happy! Fuck the employees!

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 10:38 AM
The fact that Hootie tracked down the CEO (with CP's help of course) and took this course of action could have a couple of different results. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they went out of their way to get him fired, and I equally wouldn't be surprised if they offered him a job. One thing this country is lacking is big, brass, balls. Hootie showed some here, and if he maintained a level of professionalism in his complaint, and didn't come across like a whiny douche, they may respect the hell out of his candor, and persistence, and ability to find someone that mattered in a relatively short period of time.

But maybe they'll just have him traded to Smackdown.

Brock
10-06-2010, 10:40 AM
Hey, well at least the owner is happy! Fuck the employees!

Yay, he was able to pay his waitstaff their 2.65 an hour!

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Business owners do it all the time. Servers/Waitstaff are their own business owners in my eyes at $4 hr. If you ran a business and someone stiffed you on your work, you'd take them to court at best, or tell them to **** off at worst. He obviously can't take them to court over this, telling them to **** off is perfectly acceptable in this isolated incident. There aren't many excuses for this behavior, this is absolutely one of them. This company looks like assholes over $50. Pathetic.

Loss, such as a customer walking on a check, is a cost of doing business. It is going to happen sometimes. You dont sue them or pursue it, you budget for a little of that to happen. Theft happens, food gets burned or spoils. 98% of the time, they are not stiffed. It's called having realistic expectations.

No base employee ever has a right to tell anyone to fuck off while they are on my payroll unless I say so first. To someone still pouring drinks at age 25 maybe it makes sene to drive off customers, but I am running a volume business at about 5% margin, and without volume the model collapses. It is inexcusable.

sedated
10-06-2010, 10:41 AM
in the beginning of the thread, people were saying the waiters have to give percentages of their tips to cooks, bar staff, bus boys, etc. Now people are saying that you shouldn't penalize a server for sh!tty food.

Its either one cohesive unit, or its not. Servers can't have it both ways.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Business owners do it all the time. Servers/Waitstaff are their own business owners in my eyes at $4 hr. If you ran a business and someone stiffed you on your work, you'd take them to court at best, or tell them to **** off at worst. He obviously can't take them to court over this, telling them to **** off is perfectly acceptable in this isolated incident. There aren't many excuses for this behavior, this is absolutely one of them. This company looks like assholes over $50. Pathetic.

We're not even exploring the alternatives here?

Afterall, this is Hootie we're talking about.

As has already been noted - what do these folks have to gain by stiffing on a bill? This is a corporate account. I'll tip a carry-out guy $5 on my to-go Ribeye when it's the company dime if he did as much as offer me a coke while I wait.

The most likely possibilities are:

A) An edict from corporate (in which case Hooties wailing won't matter)

B) An honest mistake (different people signed for the check, maybe one thought it was included; maybe someone thought someone else was leaving money on the table, etc...)

C) They legitimately felt that the service was bad. And "bad" in the context of a large group that's been out eating/drinking on the company tab usually has to be freakin' hideous.

D) Outright bizarre circumstances (see - other). We had a busser that would steal cash tips. We had money get thrown in the trash only to be found later. We had folks simply forget to add a 1 while being in a hurry or just have a brain cramp.

C'mon - are we really just going to say "Man, these accountants are assholes because Hootie's an upright guy that never makes shit up to suit his own devices and never paints a picture that would put him in a positive light." Afterall, if you can't trust the dude that made it sound like he was working at Trotters when he was working at a pizza shack, well who can you trust?

And even if he's not full of shit - he's still culpable. He made the call, it's his responsibility to make it right and protect the people he spoke for. That's what a leader does. And if you don't consider yourself a leader, perhaps you ought to refrain from speaking on behalf of other people while determining their compensation.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:45 AM
in the beginning of the thread, people were saying the waiters have to give percentages of their tips to cooks, bar staff, bus boys, etc. Now people are saying that you shouldn't penalize a server for sh!tty food.

Its either one cohesive unit, or its not. Servers can't have it both ways.
It's been over two decades since I've worked in a restaurant, but back then the cooks didn't get squat from tips, if that has changed it's news to me. IIRC the busboys got a couple bucks from them but nothing substantial.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
We're not even exploring the alternatives here?

Afterall, this is Hootie we're talking about.

As has already been noted - what do these folks have to gain by stiffing on a bill? This is a corporate account. I'll tip a carry-out guy $5 on my to-go Ribeye when it's the company dime if he did as much as offer me a coke while I wait.

The most likely possibilities are:

A) An edict from corporate (in which case Hooties wailing won't matter)

B) An honest mistake (different people signed for the check, maybe one thought it was included; maybe someone thought someone else was leaving money on the table, etc...)

C) They legitimately felt that the service was bad. And "bad" in the context of a large group that's been out eating/drinking on the company tab usually has to be freakin' hideous.

D) Outright bizarre circumstances (see - other). We had a busser that would steal cash tips. We had money get thrown in the trash only to be found later. We had folks simply forget to add a 1 while being in a hurry or just have a brain cramp.

C'mon - are we really just going to say "Man, these accountants are assholes because Hootie's an upright guy that never makes shit up to suit his own devices and never paints a picture that would put him in a positive light." Afterall, if you can't trust the dude that made it sound like he was working at Trotters when he was working at a pizza shack, well who can you trust?

And even if he's not full of shit - he's still culpable. He made the call, it's his responsibility to make it right and protect the people he spoke for. That's what a leader does. And if you don't consider yourself a leader, perhaps you ought to refrain from speaking on behalf of other people while determining their compensation.

Great point. All of it. But, if he says they specifically asked before hand, they should've addressed any issues they had and given the waitstaff the opportunity to rectify a situation. And frankly, if the problem was the food, the business should've gotten stiffed, not the waitstaff. For me, this has nothing to do with Hootie, and everything to do with the kids that got fucked on the whole deal. They made less than minimum wage last night, and that's bullshit.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Loss, such as a customer walking on a check, is a cost of doing business. It is going to happen sometimes. You dont sue them or pursue it, you budget for a little of that to happen. Theft happens, food gets burned or spoils. 98% of the time, they are not stiffed. It's called having realistic expectations.

No base employee ever has a right to tell anyone to fuck off while they are on my payroll unless I say so first. To someone still pouring drinks at age 25 maybe it makes sene to drive off customers, but I am running a volume business at about 5% margin, and without volume the model collapses. It is inexcusable.

Absolutely. And no offense, but your take here shows that you, like most employers, don't give two shits about your employees. If you're okay with them making less than the very minimum standard we've set for wages in this country for an honest day's worth of work, that makes you a shitty employer.

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 10:51 AM
Absolutely. And no offense, but your take here shows that you, like most employers, don't give two shits about your employees. If you're okay with them making less than the very minimum standard we've set for wages in this country for an honest day's worth of work, that makes you a shitty employer.

Because I won't tell a customer to fuck off for them? Exactly what is the benefit to anyone of pissing off a major business customer?

Hootie
Ok!

I did it...

I installed FfvB and ignored DJ's Left Nut.

It's done. It's over. And that's what I'm going to do from now on...I've had enough with people like him.

Pants
Oh. If you had said as much then shut the **** up I probably wouldn't have pointed out that it's none of your ****ing business.

Why are you taking this so personally? Of course it none of my business when cheap people decide to stiff servers who have absolutely nothing to do with the way your food tastes. Why would I shut the fuck up when this is the forum for stating your opinions. You can tip however you like, it doesn't change the fact that the tip is meant for the server and not the cook. The cooks don't make 40% of minimum wage.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Because I won't tell a customer to fuck off for them? Exactly what is the benefit to anyone of pissing off a major business customer?

No. Because you don't care about anything but YOUR bottom line. You haven't taken into consideration for one second that these kids made LESS than minimum wage last night. That's not acceptable to me.

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Because I won't tell a customer to **** off for them? Exactly what is the benefit to anyone of pissing off a major business customer?

You don't want to hurt your poor employees feelings!!!!!! Screw staying in business.

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
No. Because you don't care about anything but YOUR bottom line. You haven't taken into consideration for one second that these kids made LESS than minimum wage last night. That's not acceptable to me.

You didn't answer the question. Who benefits from telling a customer their money is no good at my restaurant?

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 10:56 AM
You don't want to hurt your poor employees feelings!!!!!! Screw staying in business.
That's right! Because maintaining a good relationship with your employees has absolutely no effect on your business.

Donger
10-06-2010, 10:57 AM
Why are you taking this so personally? Of course it none of my business when cheap people decide to stiff servers who have absolutely nothing to do with the way your food tastes. Why would I shut the **** up when this is the forum for stating your opinions. You can tip however you like, it doesn't change the fact that the tip is meant for the server and not the cook. The cooks don't make 40% of minimum wage.

There it is again: nothing. They brought me the crap. What if they are bringing me food that they know tastes like crap? Do they still deserve 15 or 20%?

Pants
10-06-2010, 10:59 AM
What if they are bringing me food that they know tastes like crap? Do they still deserve 15 or 20%?

Depends on the waiter's level of service, I would say.

Donger
10-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Depends on the waiter's level of service, I would say.

Huh? If they are bringing me food they know is crap, but they do so with flair and attentiveness, you think they deserve a tip?

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
You didn't answer the question. Who benefits from telling a customer their money is no good at my restaurant?

The kids that won't make minimum wage when they come back and do it again next month. Like I said, go ahead and fire him for it. But the next guy will do it too. And the guy after that, and so on and so forth. When you pay your employees based off of your customers bridging that gap, and those customers don't, in situations like this, it can get pretty volatile. You made your money, those kids were just used and abused for under minimum wage.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I will say this much, Hootie should've consulted with the restaurant owner before doing anything on his own. But if they ignored the situation, it's at that point all bets are off. You just can't sit back and let your employees take it in the ass like that and not expect some kind of backlash.

sedated
10-06-2010, 11:02 AM

its the company's bottom line that keeps the emplyees employed.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Why are you taking this so personally? Of course it none of my business when cheap people decide to stiff servers who have absolutely nothing to do with the way your food tastes. Why would I shut the **** up when this is the forum for stating your opinions. You can tip however you like, it doesn't change the fact that the tip is meant for the server and not the cook. The cooks don't make 40% of minimum wage.

If there's a coherent point to be found here, I can't identify it.

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
That's right! Because maintaining a good relationship with your employees has absolutely no effect on your business.

Maintaining a good relationship with your employees = ruining corporate relationships?

It's obvious you have never operated a successful business. Fine line between going to bat for employees and losing high-revenue clients.

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 11:03 AM

I cultivate that relationship in many different ways. Telling business customers to spend their expense account money elsewhere is not one of them. You maintain a good working environment and meet their needs as closely as you can on scheduling and hours, empower them to do their jobs well across the board.

But having a cancerous employee who is out there actively driving away business is not part of the game plan. He is costing me future revenues and the rest of the staff future tables and tip income. Nobody wins.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 11:04 AM

No. Not at $4 an hour. It's the customers who are expected to do that. And restaurant owners LOVE that. This time, it's not working out very well for them. But that's the risk of doing business, right?

Pants
10-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Huh? If they are bringing me food they know is crap, but they do so with flair and attentiveness, you think they deserve a tip?

Yes. What's so hard to understand about that? The tip is meant for the waiter, not the cook or the restaurant. If you don't like the meal, don't go there again.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Maintaining a good relationship with your employees = ruining corporate relationships?

It's obvious you have never operated a successful business. Fine line between going to bat for employees and losing high-revenue clients.

Throwing away good employees who work every day, for years at a time, in order to satisfy someone who comes in one time out of the blue, is a pretty stupid way of doing business as well. Amirite?

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Yes, it is, but if you start losing good employees because you let customers screw them over it's going to have an effect on your bottom line as well. A balance has to be achieved, the employee shouldn't have to get the short end of every deal.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:06 AM

These kids are serving pizza. I think the learning curve of their replacements can be absorbed by the business if they don't like their jobs.

kstater
10-06-2010, 11:07 AM
It's a pizza place...

ROFL

InChiefsHeaven
When I waited tables at Pizza Hut in high school, we got waitress wage of 2.35 (as I recall). You're tips had to make up the difference to the minimum wage of 3.35\hr. This was like 1986 or so. If you didn't make enough in tips, your employer was responsible for making up the difference. In other words, it did everyone well if you did good on tips. That should still be the case, so these kids shouldn't have made less than minimum wage. But the employer should be pissed about the fact that they have to make up the difference...it should have been included on the bill.

Mr. Flopnuts
I cultivate that relationship in many different ways. Telling business customers to spend their expense account money elsewhere is not one of them. You maintain a good working environment and meet their needs as closely as you can on scheduling and hours, empower them to do their jobs well across the board.

But having a cancerous employee who is out there actively driving away business is not part of the game plan. He is costing me future revenues and the rest of the staff future tables and tip income. Nobody wins.

Doesn't sound to me like there was any future tip income, and that being the case, they're dead weight to the people you're already not paying worth a shit. I can't believe this is so hard to understand.

Having a bad table is one thing, waiters deal with that. Having a group come in and tie up an entire restaurant for the night, is another.

But I will say this. Suck it up this time. Say nothing. But make sure you add the gratuity every time they walk in the door in the future. That is absolutely correct, and I can't even argue against it. Hootie over reacted in this situation. Bad night. Them's the breaks. Make sure it never happens again should they walk back through the door.

Donger
Yes. What's so hard to understand about that? The tip is meant for the waiter, not the cook or the restaurant. If you don't like the meal, don't go there again.

Oh, I don't know. Perhaps I don't think that I should tip someone who is knowingly bringing me crap?

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Throwing away good employees who work every day, for years at a time, in order to satisfy someone who comes in one time out of the blue, is a pretty stupid way of doing business as well. Amirite?

Are you really trying to say the restaurant is "throwing away good employees" if they don't tell this business account that gave a low tip to F off and never come back?

I'm sorry, but no reasonable owner would do that.

Mr. Flopnuts
These kids are serving pizza. I think the learning curve of their replacements can be absorbed by the business if they don't like their jobs.

Whatever they're doing, they deserve minimum wage. I'm assuming they're legal Americans, and we've set those standards. They should be met one way or the other.

Bugeater

From what I can tell, they turned away what were likely regular customers for a one-time deal from a large group. I don't know that there was any type of 'corporate relationship' going on here.

Pants
10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
If there's a coherent point to be found here, I can't identify it.

The tip is meant to cover the difference between the waiter's shitty wage and what a human being should expect to make for decent work in this country. The tip has nothing to do with the quality of your food (unless it was prepared wrong after a specific request, as covered in previous posts) nor the restaurant's general atmosphere. If you chose to ignore this and tip on a different basis, that's your prerogative. That however, doesn't make it right.

Hope that helps.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 11:09 AM
Ok!

I did it...

I installed FfvB and ignored DJ's Left Nut.

It's done. It's over. And that's what I'm going to do from now on...I've had enough with people like him.

GADS!

Must've struck a nerve.

Sucks getting called out for your juvenile horseshit. It's okay Hootie, I will survive.

And once again - I take a spectacular amount of pride in being the one that facilitated you popping the cherry on your ignore feature. For as much shit as has been flung your way, to be the guy that finally cut deep enough (read: hit close enough to home) to set you off....well that just makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, it is, but if you start losing good employees because you let customers screw them over it's going to have an effect on your bottom line as well. A balance has to be achieved, the employee shouldn't have to get the short end of every deal.

Good employees don't contact a restaurant's clients over personal grievances. Hoottie is a shitty employee.

A business should be happy to lose shitty employees.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Are you really trying to say the restaurant is "throwing away good employees" if they don't tell this business account that gave a low tip to F off and never come back?

I don't know that anyone is suggesting that they tell the company to f off. I'm not sure where that came from.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-06-2010, 11:11 AM

I was. But I forgot that there is always the option to add that gratuity for future visits. Restaurant owners do that to protect valuable employees. Basically, I was wrong. They took a calculated risk and it backfired. Don't do it again. Add the gratuity, and keep your mouth shut in isolated incidents like this. That's really not arguable. It's just not.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:12 AM
Whatever they're doing, they deserve minimum wage. I'm assuming they're legal Americans, and we've set those standards. They should be met one way or the other.

They deserve exactly what they accepted when they were hired. No more, no less.

Pants
Oh, I don't know. Perhaps I don't think that I should tip someone who is knowingly bringing me crap?

Taste is very subjective. If you don't like it, don't come back. It's not the waiter's fault you didn't like the food.

Bugeater
Good employees don't contact a restaurant's clients over personal grievances. Hoottie is a shitty employee.

A business should be happy to lose shitty employees.
Well I have no idea what kind of employee he really is, but I do agree that contacting them on his own definitely shouldn't have been his first course of action.

chiefsnorth

People who deliver good customer service get more pay, more hours, and scheduling preference. People deliver bad service get replaced. Customer service IS their job. It's all you have to do.

Maybe taking some lame stand might have bought you credibility with a couple of high school students serving pizza for a week or two, but it is absolutely not a long term perspective for anyone involved. In a year if anyone even remembers that incident it won't be helping me anymore, but the revenue is still gone.

Again, good customer service all the time is a basic expectation for waitstaff. If someone can't handle that, there is a stack of applications with people who want the chance.

eazyb81
10-06-2010, 11:13 AM
From what I can tell, they turned away what were likely regular customers for a one-time deal from a large group. I don't know that there was any type of 'corporate relationship' going on here.

Hootie's restaurant is in the Champaign area, i.e. University of Illinois. BDO came for a university recruiting event, like they probably do at least once every semester. It would be reasonable to assume that if the experience was enjoyable, they would make it a habit of coming back to this establishment for all of their corporate events in the area.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 11:14 AM

Flop,

I'd fire him, too. At the very least I'd send him on a month long vacation to think about it. If the person I train to work for him in the interim does an acceptable job, I Wally Pipp his ass.

The problem isn't the consternation, but how he went about addressing it. In the event that my employees (my employees at my establishment who are fucking with my livelihood) feel wronged, that comes to me. You don't act unilaterally, you bring it to me and I make the decision as the man who's name is on every business loan, every mortgage and every contract attached to the business.

If I'm a good manager, I work with my employees to make it right while also attempting to salvage a business relationship with the 'client'. If, on the other hand, I'm reckless as hell, I allow my mid-20's bartender with a HS diploma to go badgering the CEO of a company that just dropped $500 at my establishment the night before.

C'mon - how could you, as a business owner, allow that? It's an absolutely putrid business practice and it reeks of the inmates running the asylum. You don't hang your employees out to dry, but you absolutely cannot condone a line-employee making that decision without consulting you.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:15 AM
I doubt the owner told them they had to accept being occasionally fucked over by large groups when they were hired.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
The tip is meant to cover the difference between the waiter's shitty wage and what a human being should expect to make for decent work in this country. The tip has nothing to do with the quality of your food (unless it was prepared wrong after a specific request, as covered in previous posts) nor the restaurant's general atmosphere. If you chose to ignore this and tip on a different basis, that's your prerogative. That however, doesn't make it right.

Hope that helps.

You get to decide what a tip is meant for? Y'see, that's where I must have made my mistake. :rolleyes:

Donger
Taste is very subjective. If you don't like it, don't come back. It's not the waiter's fault you didn't like the food.

If the waiter knew that it was crap and told me otherwise? In other words, he lied to me?

ClevelandBronco
I doubt the owner told them they had to accept being occasionally ****ed over by large groups when they were hired.

Why would he? He isn't responsible for tips.

Pants
10-06-2010, 11:17 AM
You get to decide what a tip is meant for? Y'see, that's where I must have made my mistake. :rolleyes:

It's OK, we all make mistakes from time to time.

Donger

There does seem to be a lot of "power to the workers!" in this thread. I take it that these waiters aren't being forced to wait tables?

Mr. Flopnuts
Flop,

I'd fire him, too. At the very least I'd send him on a month long vacation to think about it. If the person I train to work for him in the interim does an acceptable job, I Wally Pipp his ass.

The problem isn't the consternation, but how he went about addressing it. In the event that my employees (my employees at my establishment who are fucking with my livelihood) feel wronged, that comes to me. You don't act unilaterally, you bring it to me and I make the decision as the man who's name is on every business loan, every mortgage and every contract attached to the business.

If I'm a good manager, I work with my employees to make it right while also attempting to salvage a business relationship with the 'client'. If, on the other hand, I'm reckless as hell, I allow my mid-20's bartender with a HS diploma to go badgering the CEO of a company that just dropped $500 at my establishment the night before.

C'mon - how could you, as a business owner, allow that? It's an absolutely putrid business practice and it reeks of the inmates running the asylum. You don't hang your employees out to dry, but you absolutely cannot condone a line-employee making that decision without consulting you.

Yeah. I wouldn't. At all. I feel for him, and I understand on a personal level why he did what he did. But ultimately, as I stated above this, he fucked up. You can't make those decisions as a front line employee, and I have a feeling he already knows his employer is going to hear about this and there are going to be some repercussions.

What happened is bullshit. But ultimately, you have to deal with it, and add the gratuity the next time. That company will NEVER come back into that establishment, and the owner has every right to be pissed off since he was never consulted and given an opportunity to do something about it himself.

It pisses me off. But I was wrong. I admit it.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Flop,

The problem isn't the consternation, but how he went about addressing it. In the event that my employees (my employees at my establishment who are ****ing with my livelihood) feel wronged, that comes to me. You don't act unilaterally, you bring it to me and I make the decision as the man who's name is on every business loan, every mortgage and every contract attached to the business.

I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DJ's left nut again.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:20 AM
People who deliver good customer service get more pay, more hours, and scheduling preference. People deliver bad service get replaced. Customer service IS their job. It's all you have to do.

Maybe taking some lame stand might have bought you credibility with a couple of high school students serving pizza for a week or two, but it is absolutely not a long term perspective for anyone involved. In a year if anyone even remembers that incident it won't be helping me anymore, but the revenue is still gone.

Again, good customer service all the time is a basic expectation for waitstaff. If someone can't handle that, there is a stack of applications with people who want the chance.
Yes, and reasonable compensation is a basic expectation for that good customer service, and that did not happen in this case. As far as I can tell that's not the fault of the employees.

Pants
10-06-2010, 11:22 AM
If the waiter knew that it was crap and told me otherwise? In other words, he lied to me?

Like I said, taste is subjective. I went to a certain Thai place once. This place was highly recommended by a friend of mine, so a few of us went to try it out. Some of us didn't finish our meals because it tasted like shit. It wasn't the waiter's fault I didn't like the food and seeing as she performed her job really well, she still got her tip.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Why would he? He isn't responsible for tips.
In most situations, no he isn't, but in this case, he is. It should be the restaurant's policy to automatically add gratuity for large groups.

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:25 AM
In most situations, no he isn't, but in this case, he is. It should be the restaurant's policy to automatically add gratuity for large groups.

He is responsible? It should be his policy? According to you?

Open a pizza place and do it properly then. This one doesn't belong to you.

Donger
10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Like I said, taste is subjective. I went to a certain Thai place once. This place was highly recommended by a friend of mine, so a few of us went to try it out. Some of us didn't finish our meals because it tasted like shit. It wasn't the waiter's fault I didn't like the food and seeing as she performed her job really well, she still got her tip.

You aren't answering my question. In the above scenario, what if the waitress knew that the food was awful and told you otherwise. In other words, she lied to you.

She still gets a tip from you?

chiefsnorth
10-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Hootie's restaurant is in the Champaign area, i.e. University of Illinois. BDO came for a university recruiting event, like they probably do at least once every semester. It would be reasonable to assume that if the experience was enjoyable, they would make it a habit of coming back to this establishment for all of their corporate events in the area.

The thing people here don't get is, all business is repeat business. Either they have been with us in the past, or this is our chance to dazzle them with great food and service so that this visit is the first visit of repeat business.

If they only come once a year, I still want to sell them $500 worth of product once a year. If we do that to all the potential once/anum business customers, we've built significant business.

Do you know how hard it is to get a customer in the door? Restaurants send samples and certificates to these places trying to bring in corporate business. They place big orders, don't use discounts, and are likely repeats.

It's big money. We have to make money or everyone is out of work. I am not servig the best interest of my employees by dressing down a big pocket customer no matter how much they feel in the moment that is what they want.

sedated
10-06-2010, 11:27 AM

not liking what you ordered and being served bad food are two different things.

if I order a pizza with pineapple and anchovies and don't like it = my fault.

if the pizza comes overcooked and the pizza box looks like its been through a cycle in the dryer = company's fault.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:28 AM
It should be? According to you?

Open a pizza place and do it properly then. This one doesn't belong to you.
Oh, I wasn't aware that I had to be in the pizza business to have an opinion on this. But that would certainly prevent this type of thing from happening, no?

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh, I wasn't aware that I had to be in the pizza business to have an opinion on this. But that would certainly prevent this type of thing from happening, no?

Yes, of course you are entitled to your worthless opinion about how a business that is not yours should be operated.

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:31 AM
The thing people here don't get is, all business is repeat business. Either they have been with us in the past, or this is our chance to dazzle them with great food and service so that this visit is the first visit of repeat business.

If they only come once a year, I still want to sell them $500 worth of product once a year. If we do that to all the potential once/anum business customers, we've built significant business.

Do you know how hard it is to get a customer in the door? Restaurants send samples and certificates to these places trying to bring in corporate business. They place big orders, don't use discounts, and are likely repeats.

It's big money. We have to make money or everyone is out of work. I am not servig the best interest of my employees by dressing down a big pocket customer no matter how much they feel in the moment that is what they want.
Are you in the restaurant business? If so, how would you have handled the situation? Would you have simply told your employees tough shit, or would you try to make it up to them somehow?

Bugeater
10-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes, of course you are entitled to your worthless opinion about how a business that is not yours should operate.
You didn't answer my question, and if you are in the pizza business I am more than willing to listen to how you would've handled the situation as well.

DJ's left nut
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
The thing people here don't get is, all business is repeat business. Either they have been with us in the past, or this is our hands to dazzle them with great food and service so that this visit is the first visit of repeat business.

Isn't the fail rate on restaruants somewhere in the mid-80s?

As you noted - they're volume businesses with very small profit margins. You take the $500 and subtract actual costs and you're looking at probably $475. Then you consider payroll taxes, etc... and you're looking at what? $400 left over as revenue? That gets you 150 hours of waiter hourly and that waiter hourly gives the server an opportunity to earn an income that far exceeds what he'd be making elsewhere with a similar education.

Or it pays the electric bill that month. Or maybe the renters insurance. Or 1/4 of the mortgage payment.

And I'm supposed to just go 'eh' when some dumbass that doesn't see my monthlys decides to throw a temper tantrum because he excercised poor judgment and screwed his co-workers?

There's just way too much on the line for small business owners, especially restauranteurs, to allow that kind of thing. This isn't firing him for chirping back at a snarky customer (anyone that's worked at a restaurant for long enough has done that); this is taking him to task for using my brand as his badge when dealing with a billion dollar corporation on a vendetta drive that will likely cost me money.

This just doesn't seem close.

Pants
10-06-2010, 11:34 AM
You aren't answering my question. In the above scenario, what if the waitress knew that the food was awful and told you otherwise. In other words, she lied to you.

She still gets a tip from you?

Define "awful"? Is it not fresh? I don't understand your hypothetical. The server might honestly love the good they recommend and you might hate it.

DeezNutz
10-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Flop,

The problem isn't the consternation, but how he went about addressing it. In the event that my employees (my employees at my establishment who are ****ing with my livelihood) feel wronged, that comes to me. You don't act unilaterally, you bring it to me and I make the decision as the man who's name is on every business loan, every mortgage and every contract attached to the business.

This. And then more of this.

Have we heard the conclusion, yet?

ClevelandBronco
10-06-2010, 11:36 AM
You didn't answer my question, and if you are in the pizza business I am more than willing to listen to how you would've handled the situation as well.

I'm not in the pizza business, and here's an answer to your question: Yes, an automatic gratuity would have prevented Hootie from proving that he deserves to be fired.

dirk digler
I will say this much, Hootie should've consulted with the restaurant owner before doing anything on his own. But if they ignored the situation, it's at that point all bets are off. You just can't sit back and let your employees take it in the ass like that and not expect some kind of backlash.

Totally agree about talking to the owner first. I understand chiefsnorth position as well because if this was an regular business customer you probably just lost their business for good.

luv

I know I'm late in the conversation, but I agree. I've never worked in a restaurant, but I have a couple of friends that do. At least where they work, servers/bartenders make less than kitchen staff. My bartender friend loves to tend bar, but he's thankful that he's in the kitchen three times per week, as that is "steady" income. He gets paid the same per hour no matter what in there. When he tends bar, how much he makes depends on tips.