PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs bringing out the pink this weekend

ArrowheadHawk
10-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Chiefs bringing out the pink this weekend

http://www.kcchiefs.com/assets/images/imported/KC/photos/article-images/bca_250_10_6_10.jpg

Todd Haley began his press conference today by talking about a project he’s undertook to review the total snaps played by each player this season. The tally is a culmination of each individual’s total snaps on offensive, defensive and special teams.

“We’re just really working hard to find more jobs for more people, to make the guy that we do end up putting in uniform on Sunday have a meaningful and bigger role for us each and every week,” Haley said. “I think that’s the way that we’ll continue to get better.”

Later in the presser, Haley specifically mentioned a handful of players that stood out to him in the study. Here are two of the more interesting examples that Haley mentioned...

Jackie Battle

Haley Says: “He has 67 plays, but 63 of them are on special teams.”

The Chiefs have been using Dexter McCluster as the third back behind Thomas Jones and Jamaal Charles. While McCluster’s role in the offense is unlikely to change, there are still areas where Battle can fit offensively.

A bigger back, Battle worked in some short-yardage situations with the first-team offense during the preseason. Maybe there will be a window for him in those packages. He also played a bit of fullback before injury in 2009.

Kendrick Lewis

Haley Says: “180 snaps, with 15-18 of them being on special teams…he’s one of our more higher-playing rookies across the board.”

Lewis’ role expanded when Jon McGraw suffered a hamstring injury prior to the Cleveland game. Most expected the Chiefs to give their rookie safeties a considerable amount of snaps, but Lewis and Eric Berry have taken over 90% of the safety reps over the first three games. It sounded as if Haley wanted to free up some extra reps for Lewis to become more involved in the special teams game.

The premise of counting reps isn’t necessarily about evening-out playing time. It’s more about using the 45-man roster as efficiently as possible on gameday. If you’re looking for a case study, Javier Arenas’ situation in Week One is a perfect example.

Against San Diego, Haley noticed that Arenas looked winded as the rookie was about to take the field for a punt return. Arenas had been playing a heavy load of nickel that night, so Haley told special teams coach Steve Hoffman to send in McCluster for the return instead. The result was a franchise-record 94-yard punt return TD that turned out to be a game-changer.

Injury Report

Yesterday, Haley was pleased with the team’s overall health coming out of the bye. Today, things got even better for the Chiefs.

Both Tyson Jackson (knee) and Ryan O’Callaghan (groin) put on full pads for the first time in weeks and practiced with their teammates. Jackson was upgraded to a limited practice participant yesterday and O’Callaghan was upgraded to the same status today. The official injury designations for Sunday will be announced tomorrow afternoon.

Reshard Langford (ankle) was the only Chief who did not practice. He continues to rehab on the stationary bikes while he is being held out.

Third-Down Emphasis

The Chiefs put an emphasis on third-down snaps today at practice. Thurs far, defensive third-downs have been an area where Kansas City has thrived. The Chiefs are currently fourth in the NFL, allowing opponents to convert their thirds at just a 26.7% clip. Overall, opponents are averaging just 14 first downs per game against Kansas City. That’s the third-least amount in the league.

Continuing third-down success against Indianapolis will likely be a key factor this weekend. Indianapolis’ offense ranks among the NFL’s top-10 with a 44.7% third-down percentage. Offensively, the Chiefs will look to improve upon their 26th ranking (32.5%) on third downs against the Colts 29th-ranked third-down defense (46.0%).

Bring On The Pink

The Chiefs will play in their first Breast Cancer Awareness Game this weekend as the NFL supports October’s National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Players will wear various styles of pink cleats (pictured upper right), gloves and towels. The Chiefs will also play with a special BCA football that features a pink ribbon embedded behind the NFL Shield.

“It’s not my style, but I’m going to wear them for sure,” LB Derrick Johnson said of the pink cleats. “It’s for a great cause.”

The Chiefs Women’s Organization has also been historically active in BCA efforts. Game-worn pink merchandise and footballs will be autographed following each game and auctioned at NFL Auction to support the cause.

If you haven’t noticed, we’ve also turned KCChiefs.com pink this week.

Brady Bunch…What?

Apparently Todd Haley is a fan of the Brady Bunch. As he began to answer a question today, his voice cracked and some Peter Brady talk ensued, followed by references about the Brady’s trip to Hawaii (you know, the to be continued episode). The entire exchange was one of the more comedic moments of Haley’s press conferences to date. Experience it for yourself here.

Don’t lie…you know you liked those Hawaii episodes. Enjoy.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Arrowhead-Report-Thursday-October-7th/e19d39ac-6275-4a3c-8b67-27b0caf4a7e2

teedubya
10-07-2010, 03:17 PM
THIS.

Against San Diego, Haley noticed that Arenas looked winded as the rookie was about to take the field for a punt return. Arenas had been playing a heavy load of nickel that night, so Haley told special teams coach Steve Hoffman to send in McCluster for the return instead. The result was a franchise-record 94-yard punt return TD that turned out to be a game-changer.

IS

GOOD

COACHING

Fish
10-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Bring On The Pink

The Chiefs will play in their first Breast Cancer Awareness Game this weekend as the NFL supports October’s National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Players will wear various styles of pink cleats (pictured upper right), gloves and towels. The Chiefs will also play with a special BCA football that features a pink ribbon embedded behind the NFL Shield.

“It’s not my style, but I’m going to wear them for sure,” LB Derrick Johnson said of the pink cleats. “It’s for a great cause.”

The Chiefs Women’s Organization has also been historically active in BCA efforts. Game-worn pink merchandise and footballs will be autographed following each game and auctioned at NFL Auction to support the cause.

If you haven’t noticed, we’ve also turned KCChiefs.com pink this week.

This is getting ridiculous...

It would do a lot more good if they took the money required to outfit the entire damn team with new pink cleats, gloves, and towels for a single game, and just gave it to a Cancer research fund instead.

This whole "awareness" crap is going too far. We're aware already, we don't need more money spent on pink bullshit that could actually go to legitimate causes. The autograph and auction portion is nice, but come on. The whole idea has morphed from raising money for research, to patting ourselves on the back over how much "awareness" we've managed. Currently, neither insurance companies nor medical facilities accept awareness as forms of payment.

teedubya
10-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Check out that video on the KCChiefs site... the video about 7:50 Haley's voice cracks.

lmao, It's like a minute standup comedy act in the middle of his press conference.

Pants
10-07-2010, 03:30 PM
O'Failhan needs to stay the fuck down.

58-4ever
10-07-2010, 03:31 PM
This is getting ridiculous...

It would do a lot more good if they took the money required to outfit the entire damn team with new pink cleats, gloves, and towels for a single game, and just gave it to a Cancer research fund instead.

This whole "awareness" crap is going too far. We're aware already, we don't need more money spent on pink bullshit that could actually go to legitimate causes. The autograph and auction portion is nice, but come on. The whole idea has morphed from raising money for research, to patting ourselves on the back over how much "awareness" we've managed. Currently, neither insurance companies nor medical facilities accept awareness as forms of payment.

I bet they make a lot more on the Auctions than it costs for those little Chinese kids to make them. #Jussayin

mikey23545
10-07-2010, 03:35 PM
"The Chiefs Women’s Organization has also been historically active in BCA efforts. Game-worn pink merchandise and footballs will be autographed following each game and auctioned at NFL Auction to support the cause."

I can't believe they missed the chance to call this the Chiefs Organization of Women...

The Franchise
10-07-2010, 03:45 PM
O'Failhan needs to stay the fuck down.

This.

KurtCobain
10-07-2010, 03:47 PM
Loren is gonna be pissed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
10-07-2010, 03:51 PM
I bet they make a lot more on the Auctions than it costs for those little Chinese kids to make them. #Jussayin

I'd be interested to actually know. But consider the hundreds of shoes and gloves they have to buy to have enough for every member of the team. They have backups upon backups for each game. And yes Chinese kids make them on the cheap, but the ones they wear retail for over $100. And they'll all be worn once.

I can't see how that would actually bring any kind of significant return.

If you figure they get a great discount, and only pay $50 per pair(half of retail), they'd still pay $8000 just for 3 pairs each for the 53 guys they dress. That's just cleats.

teedubya
10-07-2010, 03:51 PM
No one has watched the video yet!

You non-Peter Brady lovers.

-King-
10-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I'd be interested to actually know. But consider the hundreds of shoes and gloves they have to buy to have enough for every member of the team. They have backups upon backups for each game. And yes Chinese kids make them on the cheap, but the ones they wear retail for over $100. And they'll all be worn once.

I can't see how that would actually bring any kind of significant return.

If you figure they get a great discount, and only pay $50 per pair(half of retail), they'd still pay $8000 just for 3 pairs each for the 53 guys they dress. That's just cleats.

Huh? Cleats may cost $10 to make? Or is that not what you mean?

Pioli Zombie
10-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Who??? Who doesn't want to wear pink??
(Lessee who gets Seinfeld reference)

Fish
10-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Huh? Cleats may cost $10 to make? Or is that not what you mean?

Huh yourself.. I'm not sure what you're questioning?

The cleats they wear retail for over $100. Unless the Chiefs have their own sweat shop that we don't know about, then it's pretty likely that they have to pay more than the cost of manufacturing. I imagine they get a good discount for buying a lot as a professional team, which is why I listed the price per at half of retail. It's only a guess to show how high the figure could be. But I'm fairly certain the Chiefs don't get them for $10/pair.

-King-
10-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Huh yourself.. I'm not sure what you're questioning?

The cleats they wear retail for over $100. Unless the Chiefs have their own sweat shop that we don't know about, then it's pretty likely that they have to pay more than the cost of manufacturing. I imagine they get a good discount for buying a lot as a professional team, which is why I listed the price per at half of retail. It's only a guess to show how high the figure could be. But I'm fairly certain the Chiefs don't get them for $10/pair.

Oh. I thought you were just talking about the price of making them.

Gracie Dean
10-07-2010, 04:27 PM
I like the wearing of the pink. I think I will wear my pink jersey tomorrow for "red friday"

KC fish, how about we turn the color blue for testicular cancer and have Nov be ball cancer awareness month then would you stop crying?

Ebolapox
10-07-2010, 04:50 PM
I can't believe anybody made a 'they're all pink on the inside' joke, or another various vagina joke/

Fish
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
KC fish, how about we turn the color blue for testicular cancer and have Nov be ball cancer awareness month then would you stop crying?

I don't see how that resolves any of the particular issues I have with the practice. Did you think this was a gender representation issue for me? It's not. It's the complete inefficiency of the method that I have problems with. It's a way for wealthy organizations who actually could contribute funds, to do the same things they always do, yet provide the appearance of actually contributing something significant. If the Chiefs announced that they donated $50,000 to the Cancer Research Institute, then I would gladly applaud them. But what they're doing is wasting money on equipment that will only be worn once, with the end result being "awareness" plus an auction. And I can't see a way that the auction would cover the cost of the equipment and still provide anything significant for a donation. The Chiefs are buying equipment that they normally would have bought anyway. Then they're allowing the public to put forth money to auction them off. They're wasting money that they have in abundance, to give you the opportunity to give your money for an autographed pink shoe. In the name of awareness. Tell me that's not a convoluted inefficient method of getting money to cancer patients who need it.

LaChapelle
10-07-2010, 04:59 PM
This is why Colquitt holds for the extra points

Ebolapox
10-07-2010, 05:02 PM
(insert dwayne bowe 'importing' joke HERE)

FAX
10-07-2010, 05:09 PM
According to a recent interview with Peyton Manning, Jeff Saturday's penis is kinda pink.

Go get 'em Shaun.

FAX

Nero's Neptune
10-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I read this stuff and it makes me realize how important coaching really is in the NFL.... coaching can win at least 3-4 games per year.... I truely believe that.

Haley is so detail oriented and these coordinators game plan so well... it's really refreshing.

I still remember one practice report 3 years ago when Tony G. was pissed at himself for missing a block. Herm Edwards quote was "Hey!...that's not your job!...your job is to catch TD passes!!"

tells you everything you need to know about Herm.