PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs' Bowe Blocks Out Distractions In A Pivotal Year

Hammock Parties
10-07-2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/07/2289425/chiefs-bowe-blocks-out-distractions.html

Todd Haley told Dwayne Bowe that the requirements were simple: If he wanted to make the big plays he seemed to crave, then he would have to earn them.

Bowe was coming off perhaps his most chaotic period as a pro. He was suspended four games last season for failing a test for performance-enhancing drugs, and this past spring, he described to a magazine the practice of “importing” women on Chiefs road trips.

The Kansas City wide receiver was on shaky ground. He had no choice but to listen to his coach — and to do what was asked.

“Compared to where he was the year before, (Bowe) showed that sense of urgency,” Haley said this week. “The players respond how you coach them. If you enforce the idea and make it clear that that’s the way it’s going to be, generally guys get on board or they jump off.”

For Bowe, getting on board meant a lot of things. It meant that he had to calm an act that seemed playful at times but selfish at others. It meant that he had to control himself and sharpen his focus. And it meant he had to block.

That’s bad news for some wideouts, especially ones such as Bowe, who are used to making big plays. But Haley let players know that the Chiefs were going to be a running team in 2010, and if Bowe ever wanted to be targeted for those highlight-reel opportunities, he’d better get used to his new requirements. If he refused to block, he could forget about making catches.

“Some receivers are a little bit more reluctant than others,” quarterback Matt Cassel said. “But at the same time, I know that a lot of the good ones go in there and they put their nose in there and they get after it.

“Dwayne has come in and worked tremendously hard this year and you can probably see it just with his physical look and what he brings. … You see him blocking on certain plays and he is doing everything that the coaches ask of him.”

Bowe is following the expectations to the letter, including keeping quiet publicly. Bowe told The Star this week that he won’t speak to reporters for the rest of this season.

Those who are around the fourth-year receiver most have said that they notice a more mature player lining up alongside them. Bowe is more willing to take on the dirty work, and he is better able to manage himself — even as the Chiefs improve around him. Veteran receiver Chris Chambers said that he and Bowe speak often, and that there’s something different about the receiver, who was perhaps becoming better known for his off-field behavior than the dazzling play the team thinks he’s capable of.

Chambers isn’t the only one who’s noticed.

“All of our big runs that have shown up so far this year,” Haley said, “Dwayne’s in the mix somewhere.”

Chambers said that Bowe has embraced Kansas City’s offense, keeping quiet about his lack of big-play opportunities, and that he’s averaging about half as many catches per game in 2010 as he was through three games last year.

“I don’t see that it bothers him too much,” Chambers said. “He’s matured. Sometimes it takes a little while. This being his fourth year, I’m happy to see that.”

Chambers said Bowe has been patient. He blocks and has no problem with it. Then against San Francisco, Haley called a flea flicker out of the Wildcat formation, and Bowe was the deep target. The 49ers had gotten used to Bowe being a blocker, and that’s about the time that Cassel took the pitch from Dexter McCluster, and Bowe went running toward the end zone.

“Everybody came up thinking that was a run,” Chambers said. “Next thing you know, the ball is going over their heads.”

And into Bowe’s hands for a 45-yard touchdown.

Haley said he’s been impressed overall with how Bowe has improved, but perhaps more than that, how Bowe has approached this season. It’s a big one for the receiver, Haley said, and there’s a long way yet to go. But the coach said he likes what he has seen so far, and he hopes that the Chiefs’ top wideout earns a few more of those big plays.

“That’s something that’s real important to me, to us and now to Dwayne,” Haley said. “I know our runners appreciate that. I know everybody on our team appreciates that.”