PDA

View Full Version : Football Stay Classy Florio

-King-
10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Haynesworth's half-brother dies in motorcycle accident
Posted by Mike Florio on October 8, 2010 10:35 AM ET
The 23-year-old half-brother of Redskins defensive lineman Albert Haynesworth died Thursday night in a motorcycle accident, according to Andy Humbles and Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean.

Lance McCoy reportedly struck a car while operating his motorcycle at a high rate of speed in Nashville.

Police said there was no evidence of alcohol or drug use.

Unfortunately, the phrase "high rate of speed" has become synonymous with Haynesworth in his own dealings. He has driven cars and boats at high rates of speed on more than a few occasions.

We send out our condolences to Haynesworth and his family.
Florio takes the death of Haynesworth's brother as a chance to comment on Haynesworth's speeding record?

Then after 100+ comments calling him out on it, he updates his story with:

UPDATE: Many of you have taken exception to my decision to point out the reckless nature in which Haynesworth has operated motorized vehicles. I make no apology for my comment. Every time someone drives a motorcycle, car, or boat at a high rate of speed, that person endangers his own life and, more importantly, the lives of others. The behavior also potentially sets a horrible example for young, impressionable family members. Albert Haynesworth has a history of driving too fast. He has caused at least one serious accident (allegedly) because of it. The death of his brother -- and of everyone who has died under such circumstances -- becomes even more tragic because such deaths are entirely avoidable. If any good can come out of this situation, it will be that Haynesworth and everyone who hears of the circumstances surrounding the death of Lance McCoy will resolve to not drive at high rates of speed.

Wow. Stay classy Florio.

4th and Long
10-08-2010, 01:19 PM
While he is correct, it's better to shut your yap and say nothing. Things like this have a habit of biting you in the ass.

http://www.backseatblogger.com/images/open_mouth_insert_foot002.jpg

KCrockaholic
10-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. Like he said, hopefully Haynesworth is the one that learns the most from it.

Brock
10-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Considering Albert has maimed people with his driving in the past, who cares about his feelings?

ElGringo
10-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Don't care about Haynesworth feelings, but Florio could have chosen his words a little better (such as his comment later).

Marcellus
10-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Don't see the problem. He wasn't making a joke, he was making an honest observation.

veist
10-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Meh, I didn't even bat an eye at this.

-King-
10-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Welp, he deleted all the comments and added UPDATE: Based on the input received from many of you, we agree that now is not the time to place blame or editorialize. Whether or not the points raised were valid, they should have been made at a different time and in a different article, and I apologize for not realizing that when this item initially was written.

-King-
10-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Don't see the problem. He wasn't making a joke, he was making an honest observation.

Thats not the time for it though. Thats like a posters friend/relative dying from a car crash and me going in the prayer thread like, "Well, he should have been driving better."

Marcellus
10-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Thats not the time for it though. Thats like a posters friend/relative dying from a car crash and me going in the prayer thread like, "Well, he should have been driving better."

Florio didn't take a shot at AH's brother. The comment was directed towards AH's past behaviors.

Driving like a dumbass on a motorcycle is basically Darwanism at work. Had Florio said that, it would have been offensive.

ElGringo
10-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Interesting, if someone dies from drunken driving, he shouldn't have been drinking while driving, however, if someone dies from driving too fast, making a comment about his wreckless driving is taboo.

ForeverChiefs58
10-08-2010, 04:18 PM

No it would be like if Kellen Winslow had a friend/relative die from a motorcycle accident caused by speeding. Then pointing out he is being paid 100 million $$$ to play football and engaging in the same reckless behavior as the friend/relative.

Hope he learns from it.