PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Google has been testing cars that drive themselves

Fumblerooski
10-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Pretty pumped to finally be able to text and drive like the cool kids...

http://mashable.com/2010/10/09/google-cars/

Google Is Testing Cars That Drive Themselves

Google announced today that it has developed cars that drive themselves automatically in traffic, and that it has been testing them on the streets of California for months. It might seem like an unusual project for Google, but it could actually have big benefits.

We’re not just talking about cars running Google Android. This is the stuff of science fiction. The only accident that has occurred so far: One of the cars was rear-ended by a driver at a stop light. Human error!

The vehicles have been tested on 140,000 miles of California road, from Silicon Valley to Santa Monica. Each car is manned during the tests. One person sits in the driver’s seat, ready to take control of the vehicle instantly by grabbing the wheel or touch the brake should something go wrong with the system. The person in the passenger’s seat is an engineer who monitors the software operations on a computer.

Google (Google) hired engineers who previously participated in competitions and races involving automated cars — important turning points in the development of the technology, which has been coming into its own since around 2005 according to The New York Times.

If your first concern is one of safety, Google would argue that you’re going about it all wrong. Safety is one of the the project’s purposes. Google believes that the technology could nearly half the number of automobile-related deaths because computers are supposedly better at driving than humans in the right circumstances.

There are other hypothetical pluses, too. The vehicles’ instant reaction time and 360-degree awareness would allow them to drive closer together on the highway than humans can, reducing traffic congestion. They could be more careful when operating the gas, reducing fuel consumption.

But the biggest benefit for Google would be the hour or so of daily commute time the car owner would save. Instead of driving, he or she could either be productive or entertained in the vehicle, doing work on a wireless Internet (Internet) connection or watching television. Google doesn’t say it explicitly, but TechCrunch was quick to note that this time could be spent using Google products and absorbing Google-run advertising.

The most optimistic projections put this technology at least eight years away from market, though. Legal hassles are among the myriad problems; all of the current traffic laws assume that a human driver is present in the vehicle.

Do you think this technology will eventually be deployed, or is it just a pipe dream for Sergei and Larry? Let us know in the comments.

Fumblerooski
10-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Ran a search, nothing came up... SBM if repost...

Buck
10-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Whoa, good. I was starting to think my weed was laced with something.

teedubya
10-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Yes, I read about this recently... 140,000 miles... And the only accident came when some rammed into them from behind. Zero wrecks so far from computer error.

In fact, i saw a conference speech by Eric Schmidt and he said that it is a pity that cars were invented before computers... Computers should always drive cars... It would be easier to get home after a night of drinking.

10-09-2010, 10:05 PM
google is actually skynet

cdcox
10-09-2010, 10:06 PM
I think this will eventually eliminate traffic lights. The computers in different vehicles could work together to safely slip cars between gaps that would be to tight for humans to navigate. It could make the commute a whole lot faster.

Rain Man
10-09-2010, 10:10 PM
I think this will eventually eliminate traffic lights. The computers in different vehicles could work together to safely slip cars between gaps that would be to tight for humans to navigate. It could make the commute a whole lot faster.

It seems like it would make the commute a bit more stressful to be missing head-on collisions by inches. Maybe they'd take away the windows and paint pastoral scenes on the inside of the cars.

googlegoogle
10-09-2010, 10:12 PM
I am so sick of Google.

Buck
10-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Seriously though, I like driving. I drive a manual transmission vehicle and I actually feel like I'm driving when I'm driving.

I don't want the privilege of driving taken away from me.

cdcox
10-09-2010, 10:14 PM
It seems like it would make the commute a bit more stressful to be missing head-on collisions by inches. Maybe they'd take away the windows and paint pastoral scenes on the inside of the cars.

You will be hooked into a virtual reality simulation during your commute so will think you are making love to a young nubile thing as you are flying through traffic at 60 mph. No stress at all.

Fumblerooski
10-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Seriously though, I like riding my horse. I hate those car things and I actually feel like I'm traveling when I'm galloping.

I don't want the privilege of horse and buggy taken away from me.

Seriously though, I like driving. I drive a manual transmission vehicle and I actually feel like I'm driving when I'm driving.

And History comes full circle...

Rain Man
You will be hooked into a virtual reality simulation during your commute so will think you are making love to a young nubile thing as you are flying through traffic at 60 mph. No stress at all.

So I should be investing in upholstery cleaning businesses right now?

cdcox

Your virtual reality will be that you are operating a simulated stick shift. NTTAWWT.

Buck
10-09-2010, 10:17 PM
And History comes full circle...

Whose mult are you?

Fumblerooski
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Whose mult are you?

Not one... Even though me saying that won't change your mind.

Galileo Humpkins
10-09-2010, 10:18 PM
This sounds as though it would make for a horrifying Stephen King novel.

cdcox
10-09-2010, 10:19 PM
So I should be investing in upholstery cleaning businesses right now?

The virtual reality will prevent you from knowing whether your upholstery is clean or not.

I predict people will become hesitant to car pool.

Psyko Tek
10-09-2010, 10:20 PM
does that mean I can text while driving?

we already have this
it's called a bus

jebus
google must be stopped

and now I am on their enemies list

Bugeater
10-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Google believes that the technology could nearly half the number of automobile-related deaths because computers are supposedly better at driving than humans in the right circumstances.
Or we could probably achieve the same goal by actually teaching people how to fucking drive a car before handing them a license.

CrazyPhuD
10-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Well I know that 90% of the populace is physically incapable of driving, so yes we have to do something, whether that's cars that drive themselves or better public transportation, something will have to be done.

BIG_DADDY
10-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Well I know that 90% of the populace is physically incapable of driving, so yes we have to do something, whether that's cars that drive themselves or better public transportation, something will have to be done.

WTF?

BIG_DADDY
10-09-2010, 10:53 PM
Great for going out and partying. Take me home.

-King-
10-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Google believes that the technology could nearly half the number of automobile-related deaths because computers are supposedly better at driving than humans in the right circumstances. Thats a retarded fucking sentence.

Does the car look like the car from iRobot? <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHMbsQr9yYA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHMbsQr9yYA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

BIG_DADDY
10-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Thats a retarded ****ing sentence.

Does the car look like the car from iRobot? <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHMbsQr9yYA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uHMbsQr9yYA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't know about anyone else but I like driving and would prefer doing it myself 99% of the time.

10-09-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm with Will Smith on this.

DaFace
10-09-2010, 11:28 PM
A couple months back, there was a big crash on Pikes Peak when Audi (?) was testing their self-driving car on "one of the country's toughest highways." The punch line? The crash was the helicopter crew filming it. The car drove just fine.

threebag
10-10-2010, 06:15 AM
I could watch her instead as she gives me road head.

grandllama
10-10-2010, 06:30 AM
Too bad they aren't testing wheel chairs that drive themselves. That poor shit in the other thread would still be alive.

beach tribe
10-10-2010, 08:58 AM
does that mean I can text while driving?

we already have this
it's called a bus

jebus
google must be stopped

and now I am on their enemies list

What's with the anti-google stuff? I don't care about them one way or the other, I just don't get it. Sounds like a hatred of capitalism.

jiveturkey
10-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Great for going out and partying. Take me home.
I do like that idea.

It would also be good for rush hour.

The rest of the time I'd prefer to be at the helm.

Zebedee DuBois
10-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Why aren't they working on teleporting?