PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ten Things About Today's Game

gblowfish
10-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Ten Things About Today's Game

10. It was such a beautiful weekend in KC, I thought about just Tivo-ing the game, and doing something fun outside, and then watch the game sometime this winter when it's the depths of February and there's no football on TV. But my cat Meesh Meesh loves to watch the Chiefs, and he likes to watch the game on the big screen curled up in my lap. So we made hot dogs and mac and cheese, turned Mitch and Lenny on the Fox -they still have a sync up problem with TV, the radio play by play is about two seconds ahead of TV-, and watched the game while doing laundry. Unfortunately, I wasn't the only one folding in the fourth quarter.

9. Let's be honest. Nobody had this game marked down as win in the off season. And if a gypsy with a crystal ball would have said KC would be 3-1 and in first in the AFC west after a month, and we would give up less than twenty points to Satan Manning in Indy, well, that would all be pretty great. That's what we've got. This team is better. The defense is much better. Today we got beat because we lost in the other three major areas: offensive production, special teams and coaching.

8. Offensive Production: The big difference between Cassel and Manning today? Maturity. Both quarterbacks dinked & dunked today. Manning had to throw a lot more after the injury to Addai. The Colts were 8 for 17 on third down. KC was one for ten. One for freakin' ten on third down. When KC got down by two scores with four minutes left, you just knew it was over. No NFL defense is afraid of the Sixty Three Million Dollar man. Cassel was 16 of 29 for 156 yards. About forty of those yards came in the last three minutes of the game in the hurry up and dink & dunk offense. Real quick, let's review Matt Cassel's contract: Cassel and the Chiefs worked out a six-year deal that will pay him in excess of $10 million a season The contract will keep Cassel with the Chiefs until 2014. The deal is for $63 million, with $28 million guaranteed. He's going to make $40.5 million in the first three years of his contract. Dink and Dunk, indeed. I need a Zantac.

7. Bowe didn't do Cassel any favors today. He dropped a TD that hit him right in the hands, and that was on one of the few accurate passes that was more than fifteen yards downfield. Then Bowe dropped another on the very next play. After that, Cassel folded up like a cheap lawn chair. He missed on his next five passes in a row. D-Bowe, you HAVE to make that catch to win games like this. You just don't get second chances. Bowe is being paid to be a premier NFL go to guy. Hopefully he will learn from this experience, although he has cost the Chiefs games in the past, ala the fumbled on-side kick by San Diego a couple years ago that opened the gates for a last minute Bolts win at Arrowhead. Cassel clearly looks to Bowe first when under stress. On the Fourth and Two play in the end zone in the first quarter, he threw at Bowe into quadruple coverage. Both Cassel and Bowe need to step up and start earning those paychecks. You could make a good case that both guys deserve to be benched.

6. Today we lost the special teams battle. Succop had arguably his worst day as a Chief, totally botching the opening kick surprise -Dude, an onside kick MUST go at least ten yards- then missing the 51 yarder to seal the loss at the end. OK, 51 yards is not a gimme, but it was indoors in perfect conditions. And Colquitt was late running onto the field to hold the kick, which I think may have un-nerved Succop. Remember, Succop is just a second year guy. Arenas wasn't given a chance to return kicks today, it was all McCluster, and although he wasn't terrible, we didn't break anything that would help with the field position battle. The Colts hit on all their field goal attempts, we didn't. That was a contributing factor to the bottom line.

5. Coaching: Todd Haley again in major Wile E. Coyote mode. Is he Bill Parcells? Is he Mike Maartz? Is he the Unibomber?The opening on-side didn't bother me, I could see the logic in trying it. But the execution of the play stunk. If you're going to do it, you have to make a much better attempt than that. What bothered me more was not taking the three points early on fourth and two. You always take points on the road. If we take three there, we're tied at halftime. And why, if you're going to be all Wile E. Coyote all day, why do you lose your balls in the last two minutes, and try a 51-yard field goal instead of going for it on fourth down to keep the TD drive alive? You miss that kick and it's over for sure. Might as well go down fighting. Some might argue this was a Vegas play. The line was 7 and 1/2. Succop hits that kick, and we beat the spread. Makes me wonder... Seriously, you could argue this game was lost by Haley's gambling, and his fear of Manning. He is still learning as a head coach, and on the bright side, we were in the game until about the four minute mark in the second half.

4. Kudos to Romeo for frustrating the shit out of Satan Manning today. Hey, defense gave up less than twenty points, Indy's only TD came with four minutes left in the game, once again the mantra was bend but don't break. The TD Indy got was courtesy of a drive kept alive by a mystery pass interference penalty on Derrick Johnson. Romeo has coached his ass off so far this year. Wouldn't surprise me if somebody came knocking on our door next year to give him a shot at head coaching again. He's been very, very good and deserves a raise. Maybe Cassel can pony up a few dollars.

3. Tamba Hali has been playing at an All-Pro level. He was a warrior out there with his bloody uniform. Glenn Dorsey made several good plays today, he's starting to become a steady factor on the front wall. Vrabel played well, he played dinged up in the second half. Secondary still playing great, and another All-Pro tight end -Dallas Clark- was silenced today. Our defense has been great at taking the tight end out of the equation all year. People has been grumbling about taking Eric Berry as high as we did, but look at how much better our secondary as a whole has been. Berry instead of Mike Brown has been a big stabilizing factor, and that secondary is only going to get better. Shaun Smith did not grab any junk today. Too bad. I was hoping he'd give Manning a Brazilian Handshake. Didn't happen.

2. Denver lost bad today. San Diego is struggling with the Raiders. This division is wide, wide open this year, and we're still in the driver's seat. We didn't get blown out, and if Bowe can hang on to a pass, we may have even had an upset victory. Colts won time of possession today by about nine minutes, which was what I think made the difference. If we do better than one of ten on third down, and keep Manning off the field for another four or five minutes, maybe the defense isn't as gassed in the fourth quarter and we don't give up that TD with four minutes left.

1. Houston got their ass kicked by a mediocre NY Giants team today. I think we have a better chance to win down there next Sunday. Houston's defense is weaker than Indy, and we've been decent against the run so far. Matt Schaub is not Manning. Frankly, I like our chances. Unfortunately, we are stuck with dink and dunk. And unless we can win the rushing matchup, or win the special teams or coaching matchup, next Sunday could be a repeat of today.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2010, 04:20 PM
Denver lost bad today. San Diego is struggling with the Raiders. This division is wide, wide open this year, and we're still in the driver's seat.

We're going to win the division...and get our ass kicked by some wildcard team with a better quarterback.

Knob
10-10-2010, 04:22 PM
Yup. Cassel is a fraud

cabletech94
10-10-2010, 04:24 PM
couldn't agree more.

if i could add anything, it would be a prediction for next year:

mark castle and/or dee bo has a GIANT chance of not being on this team next year.

FAX
10-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Uh ... that last thing wasn't really about today's game, Mr. gblowfish.

FAX

cdcox
10-10-2010, 04:30 PM
That onside kick had tremendous back spin, and I think that was by design. Had it gone 1 yard further before spinning back, I think it would have worked. That is just the breaks of the game.

BigRedChief
10-10-2010, 04:30 PM
. Real quick, let's review Mattt Cassel's contract: Cassel and the Chiefs worked out a six-year deal that will pay him in excess of $10 million a season The contract will keep Cassel with the Chiefs until 2014. The deal is for $63 million, with $28 million guaranteed. He's going to make $40.5 million in the first three years of his contract. Dink and Dunk, indeed. I need a Zantac.

The Chiefs don't owe Cassel one thin dime next year. Nada a penny. Zip. 0, after this year. We can cut him without a single $ hit on the cap in 2011.

gblowfish
10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Uh ... that last thing wasn't really about today's game, Mr. gblowfish.

FAX

Well, OK, Point well taken. How about this: Brandon Albert. What to think? In the first quarter, he was blocking Freeney great. We ran left over his side over and over again. Then, he gets a wrist or a hand injury and comes out, returns, then pretty much sucks the rest of the day. Freeney ate him alive in the second half. I don't know if I admire him for playing hurt -if that was the situation- or if he could no longer handle it, take himself out of the game. I guess we're so short on offensive linemen right now that maybe he had no choice. But he definitely got schooled today.

cdcox
10-10-2010, 04:34 PM
The Chiefs don't owe Cassel one thin dime next year. Nada a penny. Zip. 0, after this year. We can cut him without a single $ hit on the cap in 2011.

Yeah, I don't see them giving millions more to a guy who is putting up 150 yards per game and holding the rest of the team back. Matt will be gone after this season if he doesn't get a lot better.

FAX
10-10-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, OK, Point well taken. How about this: Brandon Albert. What to think? In the first quarter, he was blocking Freeney great. We ran left over his side over and over again. Then, he gets a wrist or a hand injury and comes out, returns, then pretty much sucks the rest of the day. Freeney ate him alive in the second half. I don't know if I admire him for playing hurt -if that was the situation- or if he could no longer handle it, take himself out of the game. I guess we're so short on offensive linemen right now that maybe he had no choice. But he definitely got schooled today.

I liked the first one better, to tell the truth.

I was surprised that we didn't run better today. Very surprised, in fact. I believed that we could dominate on the ground. We seemed to do well at times, then we self-destructed or something. The fumbles didn't help.

And what was up with that wacky 4th & Goal play? I don't blame Haley for going for it ... but calling a pass? It almost seems as though the coaches are trying everything they can to elevate Mitch Cassrash's confidence ... good luck with that.

FAX

Knob
10-10-2010, 04:41 PM
I liked the first one better, to tell the truth.

I was surprised that we didn't run better today. Very surprised, in fact. I believed that we could dominate on the ground. We seemed to do well at times, then we self-destructed or something. The fumbles didn't help.

And what was up with that wacky 4th & Goal play? I don't blame Haley for going for it ... but calling a pass? It almost seems as though the coaches are trying everything they can to elevate Mitch Cassrash's confidence ... good luck with that.

FAX

11 guys in the box because Cassel is teh turd.

chiefqueen
10-10-2010, 04:51 PM

No more cap now and I don't think the NFLPA will go back to a cap.

KCUnited
10-10-2010, 04:56 PM
I'm not the only one having trouble syncing the telecast up with the fox.

BigRedChief
10-10-2010, 04:59 PM
No more cap now and I don't think the NFLPA will go back to a cap.wellll lets hope you are wrong. Because without a salary cap in place I can guarantee you there will be a work stoppage. And football won't be played again until the NFLPA agrees to a cap. The cap ensures parity, or at least a chance for your team to play with the bigger markets.

ArrowheadMagic
10-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I don't see them giving millions more to a guy who is putting up 150 yards per game and holding the rest of the team back. Matt will be gone after this season if he doesn't get a lot better.

There's no one to take his place. He will get one more year. If Cassel wants a job next year, it will be restructured.

Thats the beef, no one is ready to take over the helm.

cdcox
10-10-2010, 05:04 PM
Without a salary cap, I'm dropping NFL Sunday Ticket.

boogblaster
10-10-2010, 06:14 PM
pretty much on .. didnt like the on-side or the 4th down call ...

Pioli Zombie
10-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Cassel will be gone. No way they pay him that bonus in the spring. They'll probably sign a FA QB and draft a qb.

Bwana
10-10-2010, 06:43 PM
As always, an outstanding read.

InChiefsHeaven
10-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Didn't understand not going for the FG early on to tie it up. Other than that, I liked what Haley did today...

gblowfish
10-10-2010, 08:16 PM
They said on the broadcast today that this is the first year since 1970 that no team in the NFL has gone at least 4-0. Parity? Maybe. There's been a lot of weird upsets already this year. No one team is clearly the front runner so far this year.

pikesome
10-10-2010, 08:18 PM
They said on the broadcast today that this is the first year since 1970 that no team in the NFL has gone at least 4-0. Parity? Maybe. There's been a lot of weird upsets already this year. No one team is clearly the front runner so far this year.

People half-assing it because of the impending labor issues?

Dunno.

I haven't watched enough other games to say.

Ultra Peanut
10-10-2010, 08:41 PM
A Good Thread™

KCBOSS1
10-10-2010, 08:52 PM
UMMM. New York is not mediocre right now, especially on the defensive side. Their offense is waking up as well. Houston could be tough.

gblowfish
10-11-2010, 08:09 AM
UMMM. New York is not mediocre right now, especially on the defensive side. Their offense is waking up as well. Houston could be tough.

Well, I can agree with you to a point. NYG defense is currently ranked #1 in the NFL, and they are ranked #1 against the pass. That is true. Offense is ranked #5 in the NFL. That's also very good, but, the entire NFC East is a total crapshoot. Three of the four teams are currently 3-2, with the trailer being Dallas at 1-3. These teams will continue to beat each other up during the course of the season, where the winner of the NFC East probably ends up with 9 or 10 wins. Will that be the Giants? Dallas is still considered the favorite to win the division, but they have some ground to make up. There's still 3/4 of the season left to go. Let's see where the Giants are, say, four more games from now.

They played well in Houston yesterday, and Houston came out flat. There were lots of upsets in the league yesterday, hard week to figure.

Chiefnj2
10-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I agree with Blowfish on the coaching questions.

If you are going to risk putting your defense in a bad spot from the start of the game, and you don't take 3 points to tie the game early on, then you might as well gamble the entire game. Bi-polar coaching decisions.

Mojo Jojo
10-11-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not the only one having trouble syncing the telecast up with the fox.

OK...here is why this happens. KCFX send the broadcast straight to KC via an ISDN line. The TV broadcast is sent via VYVX to NY Master Control (or LA if it is a FOX game) then they turn the signal around and distribute to the markets receiving the game. If you use DirecTV the delay is even longer because the signal from master control is sent to Denver, then DirecTV puts up the signal to a satellite so your dish can find it.

You can see that the local radio broadcast is the closest to real time.

gblowfish
10-11-2010, 08:41 AM
OK...here is why this happens. KCFX send the broadcast straight to KC via an ISDN line. The TV broadcast is sent via VYVX to NY Master Control (or LA if it is a FOX game) then they turn the signal around and distribute to the markets receiving the game. If you use DirecTV the delay is even longer because the signal from master control is sent to Denver, then DirecTV puts up the signal to a satellite so your dish can find it.

That's a good technical explanation, but if talk radio can do a delay "dump button," to cut out callers who say naughty things, surely they could adjust the delay to match up with TV.

Watching the game yesterday was like being able to see into the future, but only for about two seconds. Mitch would say "Charles runs left, he's bottled up..." (look at the screen), the ball gets snapped. Sure enough, Charles runs left...WOW!

KCUnited
10-11-2010, 08:42 AM

Thanks for the explanation. Is this something new they are doing this year regarding the telecast? I've never been able to sync a game televised on FOX, but I've never had trouble with CBS. I'm with Time Warner.

Otter
10-11-2010, 09:01 AM
wellll lets hope you are wrong. Because without a salary cap in place I can guarantee you there will be a work stoppage. And football won't be played again until the NFLPA agrees to a cap. The cap ensures parity, or at least a chance for your team to play with the bigger markets.

I posted an article from Forbes Magazine a long time ago on this site listing each teams revenue. Chiefs are right up there with the big boys as far as money they take in. They're just...not winning for so long they don't make much of a blip on the radar.

Mojo Jojo
10-11-2010, 09:21 AM
That's a good technical explanation, but if talk radio can do a delay "dump button," to cut out callers who say naughty things, surely they could adjust the delay to match up with TV.

Watching the game yesterday was like being able to see into the future, but only for about two seconds. Mitch would say "Charles runs left, he's bottled up..." (look at the screen), the ball gets snapped. Sure enough, Charles runs left...WOW!

First the technical...setting up a delay is tough and on any game the delay may be different, so you would still be into the game prior to the sync with TV/radio.

Second the business...Radio stations pay a lot for broadcast rights, so they don't mind being first with the info. Also, radio reaches more people than TV for most sporting events...this is why Mark Cuban is rich.

gblowfish
10-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Game pics on the KC Star website:
http://tinyurl.com/26rl6gr

Bob Dole
10-11-2010, 10:35 AM

Hell, Bob Dole's DirecTV DVRs aren't even in sync with each other.

FAX
10-11-2010, 10:37 AM
I think I'm going to invent some headphones with a little dial that causes a delay. I'll sell at least one of them ... heck, I'd even buy one myself.

FAX

Bob Dole
10-11-2010, 10:59 AM
I think I'm going to invent some headphones with a little dial that causes a delay. I'll sell at least one of them ... heck, I'd even buy one myself.

FAX

Radio Shark 2. http://tinyurl.com/2amzu9e