PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Chiefs defense looks like the real deal

Tribal Warfare
10-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Chiefs defense looks like the real deal (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/10/2296806/chiefs-defense-looks-like-the.html)
SAM MELLINGER COMMENTARY

INDIANAPOLIS | Todd Haley says the Chiefs made progress with a loss, and this time, the head coach of a franchise that tries to control the message as much as any in the NFL is dead right.

Mostly.

There is progress in the run game and especially the defense, and this isn’t what Haley is talking about, but there’s a lot of progress in how well the rest of us understand what the Chiefs are after a 19-9 loss to the Colts here on Sunday. That’s a good thing.

Mostly.

The Chiefs are no longer undefeated, of course, but they still lead the AFC West with more reason to believe than before. These are the steps that improving teams have to make.

Playing the Colts in their dome in a game they absolutely needed used to mean a blowout loss and good news for Peyton Manning’s fantasy owners. Now it means a tough game the Chiefs could’ve won with a better quarterback or more breaks.

Losses used to make us numb, now they’re a chance to analyze. Losses used to remind us of everything going wrong, but now they also highlight what’s going right.

Mostly, it’s the defense. This is real. Believe it. Manning threw 18 incomplete passes, one interception, no touchdowns, and his worst passer rating (65.0) since the last time he faced Romeo Crennel’s coaching — Nov. 30, 2008, in a game against the Browns.

Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali are emerging as consistent forces. Brandon Flowers is playing at a Pro Bowl level, and the rest of the secondary is cleaning up their mistakes of the first two games. The Chiefs played nickel defense virtually the entire game and still held the Colts to just 3.1 yards per rush.

Crennel is fast becoming the star of this Chiefs season. That’s not an easy thing for a defensive coordinator, but this group finished 30th last year and is now giving up 18 percent fewer yards and 46 percent fewer points.

Think about this: the Chiefs failed to score a touchdown on the road against the Colts, but still had a chance to win in the fourth quarter. This is a long way from the Greg Robinson team that couldn’t even get the Colts to punt.

There are bound to be hiccups — and one of them might come next week at Houston — but there’s enough track record here now to believe the Chiefs’ defense will keep them in most every game.

There is no shame in losing at Indianapolis, and all those positives are real. The problem is that quarterback Matt Cassel continues to be the wet blanket keeping this Chiefs season from being anything more than solid progress.

The Chiefs’ plan is for Cassel to be merely adequate. That philosophy is outdated in today’s NFL, but he’s falling short of even those basic expectations — the Chiefs are asking him to make C’s, but he’s got a lot of D’s so far.

Blind faith and loyalty can cling to certain excuses. Dwayne Bowe dropped two passes in a row, including one that would have been a 30-yard, go-ahead touchdown. But too many of Cassel’s throws are late or off target, and honestly, what does he do well?

Calls for Brodie Croyle are picking up, so you know the situation is helpless if not hopeless.

The hope lies in Cassel becoming worthy of general manager Scott Pioli’s confidence — now would be a good time for offensive coordinator Charlie Weis’ “fix” to take — or the Chiefs finding a better option in the offseason.

Because the rest of the team is pretty good, and figures to only get better. Jamaal Charles is averaging 6.1 yards per carry and more than 100 yards per game since midway through last season. Tony Moeaki led the team with 50 yards receiving and is establishing himself as this year’s breakout star.

There is reason for optimism all over the field. Shaun Smith is making up for Tyson Jackson. Dexter McCluster is a big-play threat on every snap or kick. Ryan Succop and Dustin Colquitt give the Chiefs a solid kicking game. The offensive line kept Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis without a sack.

This is all real, and it’s very much worth our attention and appreciation. The Chiefs have been awful for a few years, and nothing better than mediocre for many more. It’s been a long time since a rebuilding project of any kind actually worked in Kansas City.

The best part of this is a defense that figures to only get better with Crennel and a core of developing players.

The worst part is that the story of an improving team with a limp quarterback is already getting redundant.

DeezNutz
10-10-2010, 09:53 PM
The Chiefs’ plan is for Cassel to be merely adequate.

The tone here suggests a source, and I'd like to see it.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2010, 10:27 PM
Oh man, sunshine feels so good up my asshole!

Hammock Parties
10-10-2010, 10:29 PM
Jesus, I read about 5 sentences and puked. This is garbage.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2010, 10:31 PM
Dexter McCluster is a big-play threat on every snap or kick.

In the CFL?

It's bad enough your writing sucks, Mellinger, but you don't have to lie to your readers.

Fuck.

the Talking Can
10-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Jesus, I read about 5 sentences and puked. This is garbage.

you spam this board with Nick "Assclown" Athan articles

you stupid piece of shit

and this is as brutal a piece of truth as you're going to see...just perfect, unlike the illiterate sunshine you suck off athan for...this is truth telling

The Chiefs’ plan is for Cassel to be merely adequate. That philosophy is outdated in today’s NFL, but he’s falling short of even those basic expectations — the Chiefs are asking him to make C’s, but he’s got a lot of D’s so far.

Blind faith and loyalty can cling to certain excuses. Dwayne Bowe dropped two passes in a row, including one that would have been a 30-yard, go-ahead touchdown. But too many of Cassel’s throws are late or off target, and honestly, what does he do well?

Calls for Brodie Croyle are picking up, so you know the situation is helpless if not hopeless.

Hammock Parties
10-10-2010, 10:36 PM
It's just boring writing. It's uninteresting.

Mellinger sucks.

Nick's writing sucks, too, I'm not trying to prop him up.

DeezNutz
10-10-2010, 10:41 PM
The column was actually pretty good. The problem is that the headline prepares readers for the usual bullshit session, which the content does not support.

Three7s
10-10-2010, 10:49 PM
In the CFL?

It's bad enough your writing sucks, Mellinger, but you don't have to lie to your readers.

At least he doesn't drop balls like the Blow Show.

Trowa
10-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Long time Dolphins fan here. Just wanted to say, I don't know what kind of reaction the team is going to get from the national media, but I'm impressed with the Chiefs. As a Dolphins fan, I know first hand what Scott Pioli, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss can do when they work together.

I'm an Alabama alum, so the fact that you have Croyle, Castille, Gilberry and Arenas already makes me like you. But I'm really impressed with the young talent on this team. Herm Edwards had a couple of really good drafts to lay the foundation and this regime has built on that work. You've got a lot of high draft picks on this team, which is not necessarily a good thing, but guys like Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers, Arenas, Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Kendrick Lewis, Hali, Charles, Berry, Branden Albert, McCluster, Moeaki and even Bowe if he can get back to the form he had earlier in his career are guys you can build a franchise around.

Good coaching + Good defense + Young talent = a team on the rise. If you guys have one more good draft I think you'll be top dog in the AFC West. Of course a lot of that hinges on the development of Cassel which I'm still skeptical about. But either way, very impressive to this point in the season, and I've been telling people for weeks that the Chiefs are the real deal.

Keep up the good work and stay positive because the future is bright in KC.

Meanstreak
10-10-2010, 10:55 PM
Of course a lot of that hinges on the development of Cassel which I'm still skeptical about.

I think just about everyone in America is skeptical at this point.

ThaVirus
10-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Long time Dolphins fan here. Just wanted to say, I don't know what kind of reaction the team is going to get from the national media, but I'm impressed with the Chiefs. As a Dolphins fan, I know first hand what Scott Pioli, Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weiss can do when they work together.

I'm an Alabama alum, so the fact that you have Croyle, Castille, Gilberry and Arenas already makes me like you. But I'm really impressed with the young talent on this team. Herm Edwards had a couple of really good drafts to lay the foundation and this regime has built on that work. You've got a lot of high draft picks on this team, which is not necessarily a good thing, but guys like Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers, Arenas, Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Kendrick Lewis, Hali, Charles, Berry, Branden Albert, McCluster, Moeaki and even Bowe if he can get back to the form he had earlier in his career are guys you can build a franchise around.

Good coaching + Good defense + Young talent = a team on the rise. If you guys have one more good draft I think you'll be top dog in the AFC West. Of course a lot of that hinges on the development of Cassel which I'm still skeptical about. But either way, very impressive to this point in the season, and I've been telling people for weeks that the Chiefs are the real deal.

Keep up the good work and stay positive because the future is bright in KC.

"Development" of Cassel? He's like 40; you either have it or you don't... And he clearly doesn't

Good points other than that though.

Deberg_1990
10-10-2010, 11:12 PM
But too many of Cassel’s throws are late or off target, and honestly, what does he do well?

As far as i can tell, his strong points are, hes big and durable.

Trowa
10-10-2010, 11:21 PM
"Development" of Cassel? He's like 40; you either have it or you don't... And he clearly doesn't

Good points other than that though.

This is really on his third seasons starting, right? I mean, after you gave up so much to get him it would be a shame to give up on him so soon.

ThaVirus
10-10-2010, 11:49 PM
This is really on his third seasons starting, right? I mean, after you gave up so much to get him it would be a shame to give up on him so soon.

Yeah, that's true. But normally during a development phase you hope to see some flashes of greatness, some mental and you NEED physical ability. He's got the prototypical QB size and durability; but he doesn't have the zip, strength for the long ball, or accuracy that a great (or even good for that matter) QB needs to be successful in the league today. You hear about QBs being "able to make all the throws" and Cassel has shown us that when given ample time, he can't do that.
Which brings me to pocket awareness/presence. I think it's safe to say he has neither. Part of this can be attributed to our shitty line play, but a great QB would be able to overcome his mental doubts on the line (which is playing at least average in pass protection now) and have the balls to stand up in the pocket and make the throw that needs to be made.
Matt Cassel justs sucks, I'm sorry, and I don't want him quarterbacking for my team any longer...

ThaVirus
10-10-2010, 11:52 PM
I'd also like to say that prior to Tom Brady going down he had been holding a clipboard for the last 10 years for a reason. He'd be a GREAT back-up to have, but your franchise QB-60 million dollar man? HELL to the NO