PDA

View Full Version : Football ESPN's John Clayton: Chargers Losing Grip on AFC West

Ugly Duck
10-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Chargers open the door: The Chargers have lost their stranglehold of the AFC West and have opened the division to any team wishing to challenge. Their loss to the Raiders showed Philip Rivers can't do it alone. Rivers completed 27 of 42 passes for 431 yards and two touchdowns, but for the third consecutive road game, he couldn't convert that final two-minute drive to get the victory.

The Chargers are a different team this year. Statistically, they entered the game ranked No. 1 on offense and No. 1 on defense, but defensive coordinator Ron Rivera has been doing it with smoke and mirrors. One-time star players such as Shawne Merriman have become invisible. Recent defensive draft choices such as Larry English, Vaughn Martin, Cam Thomas, Darrell Stuckey and others have been either injured or inactive, leaving Rivera with a growing list of street free agents and undrafted players.

The Chiefs now lead the division with a 3-1 record. The Chargers had grown accustomed to 5-1 records in the AFC West. With losses in Kansas City and Oakland, the Chargers will have to scramble to win the division with maybe an eight- or nine-win record.

Chiefs improving in the ratings: The Kansas City Chiefs didn't prove they are ready for prime time, but at 3-1, they have progressed to a point where they can go against local evening news or maybe a game show or two. The Chiefs were able to hang with the Indianapolis Colts in a 19-9 road loss. Their success can be attributed to a 2-3-6 scheme that held Peyton Manning to 244 passing yards, one red zone touchdown and no completion longer than 24 yards. Defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, who knows Manning from their old battles when he coordinated the New England Patriots' defense, used a lot of packages in which he dropped eight defenders into coverage, forcing Manning to call a lot of running plays and settle for field goals.

Chiefs coach Todd Haley tried a game-opening onside kick that didn't work and gave Manning a field goal drive from the Chiefs' 35-yard line. Haley researched game-opening onside kicks back to 2000 and found the team that tried it won six of 11 games.

"Opening that way wasn't going to win or lose the game for us,'' Haley justified afterward.

Haley also went for a fourth-and-2 that failed at the Colts' 8 in the first quarter, figuring a team playing the Colts has to steal a few possessions or go for seven instead of three. Where the Chiefs failed and have worries is in the passing game. Dwayne Bowe dropped back-to-back passes, including one that would have been a touchdown, in the third quarter. Quarterback Matt Cassel was far from clutch, throwing six incompletions over three consecutive possessions when the Chiefs were tied or trailed by three. The Chiefs must be wondering if they have a good enough quarterback to win against an elite player like Manning.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook/_/page/lastcall1005/john-clayton-last-call

el borracho
10-11-2010, 09:42 AM
[B] The Chiefs must be wondering if they have a good enough quarterback to win against an elite player like Manning.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/notebook/_/page/lastcall1005/john-clayton-last-call

Ha! I hope they aren't still wondering!

vailpass
10-11-2010, 09:42 AM
The AFC West is as big a pile of dog shit from top to bottom as I can ever remember. Not a single team that scares anybody come playoffs. Sad times.

BIG_DADDY
10-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Cassel must go.

InChiefsHeaven
10-11-2010, 10:06 AM
The AFC West is as big a pile of dog shit from top to bottom as I can ever remember. Not a single team that scares anybody come playoffs. Sad times.

The Chiefs are scarier than the Donkeys...so there is that...:D

vailpass
10-11-2010, 10:51 AM
The Chiefs are scarier than the Donkeys...so there is that...:D

Degrees of bad.
No doubt McKid has Denver looking mighty un-Denver like. Fugging embarassing.
Nobody in the AFC West scares anyone this year. In my 35 years of following the league I can't remember it being so broke-dick all the way around.

Dark Horse
10-11-2010, 11:02 AM
The AFC West is similar to a pond in the fall. It's turning over and when ponds do that they stink.

Spott
10-11-2010, 11:03 AM
They are still the most talented team in the division. They always start out like this and seem to finish the regular season strong.

vailpass
10-11-2010, 11:06 AM
They are still the most talented team in the division. They always start out like this and seem to finish the regular season strong.

San Diego? With no V. Jackson and not enough Defense they aren't all that much. Sure they might win the West but somebody has to. Come playoff time the AFC West will get worked. Again.

Sure-Oz
10-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Rivers is having an insane year and they're still losing. Miracle by the raiders at the end there, i pretty much thought SD was going to kick a fg and win that

Dark Horse
10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
It seems to me the whole league is weak right now, just when you think a team is ready to take over there division they get exposed and lose.

King_Chief_Fan
10-11-2010, 11:25 AM
The Chiefs must be wondering if they have a good enough quarterback to win against an elite player like Manning.

I wonder if the Chiefs are still wondering about that. I hope not

LaChapelle
10-11-2010, 11:55 AM
This is a contract year for the NFLPA
and yet the effort is lackluster all around

ku_jhawk23
10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
The Kansas City Chiefs didn't prove they are ready for prime time,

Didn't we already play in "prime time" and beat a team that many pundits had going to the super bowl this year and almost all guaranteed an easy division champ? I can't stand dismissive comments like this.

I'm not saying the home-cooked refs cost the Chiefs the game (see the hold on Albert only being called after the play is over and Freeney complaining to the ref...and ignoring the absolutely blatant hold on Vrabel on the very next set of downs resulting in a 20(ish) yard gain by Wayne), but I'd sure like to see this game played again in Arrowhead.

What about this game didn't prove we're "ready for prime time?" I'm pretty sure no team on our schedule is looking forward to the game anymore.

LaChapelle
10-11-2010, 11:58 AM
first
Matt Castle
of many

vailpass
10-11-2010, 11:59 AM

Didn't we already plan in "prime time" and beat a team that many pundits had going to the super bowl this year and almost all guaranteed an easy division champ? I can't stand dismissive comments like this.

I'm not saying the home-cooked refs cost the Chiefs the game (see the hold on Albert only being called after the play is over and Freeney complaining to the ref...and ignoring the absolutely blatant hold on Vrabel on the very next set of downs resulting in a 20(ish) yard gain by Wayne), but I'd sure like to see this game played again in Arrowhead.

What about this game didn't prove we're "ready for prime time?" I'm pretty sure no team on our schedule is looking forward to the game anymore.

It puts the n00b lotion on it's whining skin, it does this whenever its told.

Fish
10-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Didn't we already play in "prime time" and beat a team that many pundits had going to the super bowl this year and almost all guaranteed an easy division champ? I can't stand dismissive comments like this.

How about the fact that we didn't score an offensive TD? And that despite our record, we haven't scored an offensive TD in 2 of the last 3 games....

ku_jhawk23
10-11-2010, 12:30 PM
How about the fact that we didn't score an offensive TD? And that despite our record, we haven't scored an offensive TD in 2 of the last 3 games....

thanks for playing, but i'm talking about a prime-time game. we scored 2 offensive tds agains the chargers and a special teams td....we gave the colts everything they could handle. again i'll ask, what makes you think we aren't ready?

Fish
10-11-2010, 12:37 PM
thanks for playing, but i'm talking about a prime-time game (chargers if you have a time defficiency). we scored 2 offensive tds and a special teams td....care to try again?

Well dumbshit... I was simply answering the question in your very own post. Here, I'll reference your own quote for you again, since you must not remember...

What about this game didn't prove we're "ready for prime time?"

You see.... when you specifically stated "this game", that usually indicates to other people that you're talking about "this game". Hence the wording "this game". And not some other game(s) played at another time.

The thing about "this game", in which you asked about, that tells me the Chiefs team isn't ready for prime time, is the fact that we couldn't score an offensive TD. I'm fairly certain we have at some point in the past. But that's irrelevant to your question about "this game".

Hope this clears things up for you.

ku_jhawk23
10-11-2010, 12:46 PM
Well dumbshit... I was simply answering the question in your very own post. Here, I'll reference your own quote for you again, since you must not remember...

You see.... when you specifically stated "this game", that usually indicates to other people that you're talking about "this game". Hence the wording "this game". And not some other game(s) played at another time.

The thing about "this game", in which you asked about, that tells me the Chiefs team isn't ready for prime time, is the fact that we couldn't score an offensive TD. I'm fairly certain we have at some point in the past. But that's irrelevant to your question about "this game".

Hope this clears things up for you.

the 2000 Ravens had 6 games with no offensive touchdowns. They won the super bowl. I will stand by my question about this game. We played the team that was just in the super bowl from the AFC, and would have won it except for a bad interception. Our score was tied after 3 quarters, and we probably would have won if not for a dropped pass for an easy touchdown. Offense is not the only thing that matters...Defense wins championships. The fact that we did not score a touchdown against the reigning AFC champions does not mean we are not a team that deserves some recognition and should get a few more prime time games than what we have. Do you honestly have a real argument against this?

Fish
10-11-2010, 01:21 PM
the 2000 Ravens had 6 games with no offensive touchdowns. They won the super bowl. I will stand by my question about this game. We played the team that was just in the super bowl from the AFC, and would have won it except for a bad interception. Our score was tied after 3 quarters, and we probably would have won if not for a dropped pass for an easy touchdown. Offense is not the only thing that matters...Defense wins championships. The fact that we did not score a touchdown against the reigning AFC champions does not mean we are not a team that deserves some recognition and should get a few more prime time games than what we have. Do you honestly have a real argument against this?

Yes, I have a real argument against this.

You've picked the exception to the rule. And you're getting all butthurt that the entire nation won't crown us as a team everyone would want to watch simply because a team 10 years ago got to the SB with shitty QB play. Despite the fact that this Chiefs team only won 10 games over the previous 3 seasons.

The truth is that we played a Colts team that was decimated by injuries, and could only convert 1 3rd down conversion all day. And ended the day with zero offensive TDs, which is the second game this year without any offensive TDs. That type of play is boring as hell to watch, and if you don't understand why everyone in the world isn't on the Chiefs bandwagon and demanding to watch more Chiefs games outside of the market, then I don't know what to tell you.

Fritz88
10-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Child molestation.

thecoffeeguy
10-11-2010, 02:56 PM
San Diego's Special Teams has been atrocious this year. I cant believe they have not fired their coach yet.

Have you seen the numbers?

1 PR returned for a TD (McCLuster)
3 KR returned for TD's (two against chickenhawks)
2 blocked punts against the Raiders.

Its crazy. Unbelievable.

Special teams gave the Raiders 12 points yesterday. ROFL