PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Haley defends Cassel/Bowe

jojomontana
10-11-2010, 05:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=txhumbledchiefs
By DOUG TUCKER AP Sports Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP)—The ball is spinning through the air and heading straight to Dwayne Bowe(notes), who has gotten open in the end zone. Bowe goes up. The ball comes down.

All he has to do is catch Matt Cassel’s(notes) pass and the Kansas City Chiefs have a 13-9 lead in the third quarter at Indianapolis.

But he drops it. Then he drops another ball on the very next play.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Chiefs (3-1) had to settle for a field goal after Jon McGraw’s(notes) interception of Peyton Manning(notes) set them up on the Indianapolis 30. And in the end, they lose to the ragged, injury-weakened Colts 19-9 on Sunday, their first loss of the season.

Back in Kansas City, fans are furious with the former LSU star, just as they have been in the past when he dropped passes or onside kicks in a career that’s never taken flight since he was a first-round draft pick in 2007.

There’s no way to know if the Chiefs would have beaten the Colts had Bowe caught the TD pass. But it would have given them their first lead of the game and possibly changed the entire complexion of a game in which Manning and the favored Colts were struggling to find a rhythm of their own.

But without doubt, it would have taken some heat off a quarterback who is also sinking deeper and deeper into the fans’ doghouse. Cassel will head into Sunday’s game at Houston tied for 27th among NFL quarterbacks in total passing yards. His passer rating of 74.0 is 25th and in spite of the fact Kansas City is 3-1 and leading the AFC West, people are calling for both the quarterback and the inconsistent wide receiver to be replaced.

Their calls are not likely to be answered. Coach Todd Haley spent most of his Monday media session stoutly defending both, insisting that Cassel and Bowe, just like the entire team, are on the upswing and getting better.

“Our quarterback played a smart football game, led the team in the fashion he will have to lead it,” Haley said. “No. 1, we’re 3-1 in the first quarter of the season, which is exactly what we want, or what we will go into the next quarter feeling good about.

“Can he be more efficient? Absolutely. But his arrow is without a doubt pointing up. This guy is making progress.”

Cassel’s stats are not all bad. He’s been sacked only three times in four games, which indicates improved play by the offensive line but also points toward his correcting a career-long tendency to hold onto the ball too long. Plus, he’s thrown only three interceptions in four games. Against the Rams, he missed some open receivers as well as had a couple of passes dropped while completing 16 of 29 for 156 yards.

“No sacks. No interceptions,” Haley said. “I think there’s only two quarterbacks in the league right now with less interceptions than Matt, and their names are Manning and Brady. So that’s what I’m asking, first and foremost, to protect the football and give us chances to win, this young transitioning team chances to win, and that’s what he’s doing and that’s how he’s going about his business. I thought he showed great composure yesterday. I thought he did a terrific job of leading the team.”

Bowe’s drop did not cost the Chiefs the game, Haley insisted.

“Dwayne Bowe did so many good things in that game, so many good things,” he said. “He played smart, he understood the game plan, what he was supposed to do throughout that game plan and he did it at a high level. It just so happens he had an opportunity to make a big play, which is part of his job description, as he did two weeks before. He didn’t make it. But Dwayne’s arrow is going up. There is no doubt in my mind.”

In two road games this year, a victory at Cleveland and the loss at Indianapolis, the Chiefs have failed to score an offensive touchdown.

To make the TD breakthrough on the road will simply require better execution, Haley said.

“We had some opportunities to do that yesterday and just didn’t do it, for a multiple of different reasons. One of them being we’ve got to catch the ball,” Haley said. “That’s fundamental football we will continue to work on. Then you’ve just got to get it done.”

OnTheWarpath15
10-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, Todd. There are only two QB's with fewer INT's than Cassel, and they have to be elite guys like Brady and Manning.

Whoops.

Sanchez - 0

Vick - 0

Kolb - 1

Brady - 2

Campbell - 2

Fitzpatrick - 2

Manning - 2

Wallace - 2

Young - 2

And he's tied with 7 other guys with 3 INT's. Such CP favorites as Cutler, Claussen, McNabb, Freeman and Orton.

Quit trying to sell me a sack of shit, Coach.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Against the Rams, he missed some open receivers as well as had a couple of passes dropped while completing 16 of 29 for 156 yards.

What the Hell are they talking about ??????????????

Red Dawg
10-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Those QB's aslo throw alot more passes. Maybe that's because they can be trusted and have actual talent at WR. Cassel is too nice and plays with zero anger and confidence.

Bwana
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Against the Rams, he missed some open receivers as well as had a couple of passes dropped while completing 16 of 29 for 156 yards.

What the Hell are they talking about ??????????????

This :shake:

donkhater
10-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I for one am glad he doesn't air his dirty laundry to the press. He can think what he wants with his assistants, but bashing him in the press does no good.

kysirsoze
10-11-2010, 06:28 PM
Yeah, Todd. There are only two QB's with fewer INT's than Cassel, and they have to be elite guys like Brady and Manning.

Whoops.

Sanchez - 0

Vick - 0

Kolb - 1

Brady - 2

Campbell - 2

Fitzpatrick - 2

Manning - 2

Wallace - 2

Young - 2

And he's tied with 7 other guys with 3 INT's. Such CP favorites as Cutler, Claussen, McNabb, Freeman and Orton.

To be fair, most of these QBs haven't started all of their games. But your point is still valid. (And yes, I realize Cassel has had the benefit of a bye week.)

LaChapelle
10-11-2010, 06:29 PM
He defended Bowe
that's a first

kysirsoze
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I for one am glad he doesn't air his dirty laundry to the press. He can think what he wants with his assistants, but bashing him in the press does no good.

I agree. I hope this isn't how he sees it. But if it isn't I would expect the sae sort of comments.

Art Vader
10-11-2010, 06:30 PM
:facepalm:

Dante84
10-11-2010, 06:34 PM

Whoops.

Sanchez - 0

Vick - 0

Kolb - 1

Brady - 2

Campbell - 2

Fitzpatrick - 2

Manning - 2

Wallace - 2

Young - 2

The stat includes only quarterbacks that have thrown 100 or more passes. Not sure if it was 100 or 150... but it was over a certain number.

Bewbies
10-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Matt Cassel must give good head.

petegz28
10-11-2010, 06:46 PM
That was a professional response. If people expect Haley to come out and bash Cassel and Bowe to the press then they might as well pull up a chair and watch grass grow.

Ming the Merciless
10-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Whoops.

Sanchez - 0
Vick - 0
Kolb - 1
Brady - 2
Campbell - 2
Fitzpatrick - 2
Manning - 2
Wallace - 2
Young - 2

In fairness Kolb and Campbell probably should not be on this list...maybe others too..But Kolb and Campbell for sure since they have thrown WAY less passes.

FAX
10-11-2010, 07:15 PM
That was a professional response. If people expect Haley to come out and bash Cassel and Bowe to the press then they might as well pull up a chair and watch grass grow.

Yeah ...

A little later in the presser, Haley even said that he would not come in "here" (to the press) and expose people ... saying, "I wouldn't want them doing it to me."

Although, after listening to his statements, I can begin to see where he's coming from on this deal. It doesn't change my mind about Mick Cassrash, but it seems as though Haley wants the game plan executed, zero interceptions, and progress ... in that order. Personally, I wish his desires were a little more extravagant, but I can understand his point of view.

He is trying to emphasize that we win or lose as a "team" ... from his perspective, right now, it seems as though he views Casspipe as no more than a developing player who is doing what is asked of him to the best of his ability. We have enough areas that require improvement (in his view) that no one person deserves to be either goat or hero.

And, of course, he's not going to throw anybody under the bus.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
10-11-2010, 07:15 PM
In fairness Kolb and Campbell probably should not be on this list...maybe others too..But Kolb and Campbell for sure since they have thrown WAY less passes.

Everyone other than Kolb and Campbell are within 10 attempts of Cassel.

Ming the Merciless
10-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Everyone other than Kolb and Campbell are within 10 attempts of Cassel.

I only mentioned Kolb and Campbell in my comment....

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Haley is not this fucking stupid. He's just towing the company line until the offseason. At which time, action WILL speak louder than words.
People; you will get NOTHING but coachspeak from Todd Haley in public. What you might get in private however, I'd pay good money to hear.

OnTheWarpath15
10-11-2010, 07:17 PM
I only mentioned Kolb and Campbell in my comment....

...maybe others too...

Ming the Merciless
10-11-2010, 07:23 PM
...maybe others too...

Look I realize you aren't very bright from your huge number of posts, most of which are completely stupid...so I will spell this out for you.

This is a thread YOU started (edit: I misread this, and I see you did not start this thread), in which you accuse the Coach of 'selling a pile of shit' (lying).

In the same exact post you sell a different pile of shit.

Don't you find something retarded about that?

Edit: My point still stands..(just take the word thread and replace it with Post)

You make a post saying the coach 'sells a pile of shit' then in the EXACT SAME POST you go on to sell your own pile of shit....

dirk digler
10-11-2010, 07:29 PM
I wasn't expecting anything different from Haley.

Interesting enough he said exactly what I was talking about last night in the McCluster thread.

Cassel is here as a transition guy and the reason why he is starting is because he is safer with the ball than Croyle would be.

At least that is my interpretation of his comments.

teedubya
10-11-2010, 07:32 PM
"“Can he be more efficient? Absolutely. But his arrow is without a doubt pointing up. This guy is making progress.”"

bwhahah.. his arrow is up. Pshha

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I wasn't expecting anything different from Haley.

Interesting enough he said exactly what I was talking about last night in the McCluster thread.

Cassel is here as a transition guy and the reason why he is starting is because he is safer with the ball than Croyle would be.

At least that is my interpretation of his comments.

If we drafted a guy would you even feel comfortable putting a clipboard in his hand for a year while Cassel still starts?

dirk digler
10-11-2010, 07:36 PM
If we drafted a guy would you even feel comfortable putting a clipboard in his hand for a year while Cassel still starts?

Probably not. If we drafted a guy I would prefer he starts from the get-go but I realize other people might differ on that.

Marcellus
10-11-2010, 07:36 PM

Yup. It does no good to tear down current players in the media.

DeezNutz
10-11-2010, 07:37 PM
I don't want him "bashing" players, either. But I'd be ok with him not dabbing Cassel's ass with cotton balls.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Probably not. If we drafted a guy I would prefer he starts from the get-go but I realize other people might differ on that.

Even a better than average, drafted dink and dunker could win us games on the offensive side of the ball.

Rasputin
10-11-2010, 07:44 PM
What's worse?

A couple INTs along with several extended drives that lead to points...

Or

1-10 third down effiency & punting the ball over and over again, relying on defense to give us short field?

okcchief
10-11-2010, 08:01 PM
He did the right thing. These sacks of shit are our sacks of shit until seasons end. Tearing them down in public only makes things worse.

dirk digler
10-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Even a better than average, drafted dink and dunker could win us games on the offensive side of the ball.

Sure but who really wants a little better version of Matt Cassel? I would rather take a shit and eat it, corn and peanuts and all.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-11-2010, 08:07 PM
Sure but who really wants a little better version of Matt Cassel? I would rather take a shit and eat it, corn and peanuts and all.

Let me clarify:

I was opposed to Luck because I didn't want another QB who(seemingly)ain't all that with long passes. In his case, and taking in to account our running game, defense, special teams, and current offensive scheme/system; I would take him tomorrow.

doomy3
10-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Look I realize you aren't very bright from your huge number of posts, most of which are completely stupid...so I will spell this out for you.

This is a thread YOU started, in which you accuse the Coach of 'selling a pile of shit' (lying).

In the same exact post you sell a different pile of shit.

Don't you find something retarded about that?

You might want to recheck who started this thread, and maybe look in the mirror as well.

donkhater
10-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Well, maybe we should look at it from Haley's POV:

Cassel, while aged, is very inexperienced. His situation and contract isn't unlike drafting a QB out of college with only one year starting under his belt (hem-hem).

Now, you can argue the wisdom of Pioli's talent evaluation or the smarts of signing him to such a ridiculous contract, but wouldn't Cassel's 'development' mirror that of a QB just starting in the league?

I know this fan base has never really been through the development of a young QB, but isn't that what Haley is actually doing (even though he isn't that young?).

I know Cassel isn't going to be given the benefit of the doubt, but he really should be, even if the recent success of new QB's in the league have skewed the curve a bit. Out side of the very best, which don't grow on trees, QBs take a while to develop.

I know no one on this board believes Cassel should be handled this way, but this may be the tact Haley is taking with him.

dirk digler
10-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Let me clarify:

I was opposed to Luck because I didn't want another QB who(seemingly)ain't all that with long passes. In his case, and taking in to account our running game, defense, special teams, and current offensive scheme/system; I would take him tomorrow.

I understand but why can't we just get a complete franchise QB that can make all the throws and be accurate?

donkhater
10-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I understand but why can't we just get a complete franchise QB that can make all the throws and be accurate?

Stupid Pioli. He should know to go to the Complete Franchise QB store for all his QB needs and not grab one off the side of the road waiting to be picked-up by the garbage man.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-11-2010, 08:16 PM

Well, obviously that IS the Ultimate Goal. But, we can only draft or sign the talent available, assuming we were balls-out enough to make the move.

Ming the Merciless
You might want to recheck who started this thread, and maybe look in the mirror as well.

I read it wrong and I used the wrong term...just replace the word thread with post and I dont think it changes my point much, if at all.

But My bad...I stand corrected.

I stand by the rest of my post though, and if that is the only flaw in it...I will accept that.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Stupid Pioli. He should know to go to the Complete Franchise QB store for all his QB needs and not grab one off the side of the road waiting to be picked-up by the garbage man.

ROFL:facepalm:

dirk digler
10-11-2010, 08:23 PM

LMAO

Well, obviously that IS the Ultimate Goal. But, we can only draft or sign the talent available, assuming we were balls-out enough to make the move.

I know. I am just tired of waiting to draft and groom our own franchise QB.

donkhater
10-11-2010, 08:25 PM
LMAO

I know. I am just tired of waiting to draft and groom our own franchise QB.

Don't know why, but that just sounds creepy.

ILChief
10-11-2010, 08:26 PM
Yup. It does no good to tear down current players in the media.

Haley came from AZ where they went to the super bowl with Warner throwing the ball all over the field to Fitzgerald and Boldin. This can't be the kind of offense he wants to run. He'll get his QB next year.

jbwm89
10-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Haley came from AZ where they went to the super bowl with Warner throwing the ball all over the field to Fitzgerald and Boldin. This can't be the kind of offense he wants to run. He'll get his QB next year.

Exactly right now he is the best option we have. I know that is sad but croyle is dumbass with a stronger arm and x10 the interceptions, a shitty breakable version of cutler.

We are 3-1, we can possibly win this division even with Cassel, why on earth would Haley get out there and bash him when there is absolutely no better option right now.

Bowe on the other hand can rot in hell there are plenty of receivers out there we could make a move for.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-12-2010, 09:31 PM
I don't understand why so many other teams have no problem yanking a struggling QB, but the Chiefs refuse to despite Cassel's ongoing overwhelming suckage. The Eagles can do it, the Raiders can do it, the Cardinals can do it, the Titans can do it, the Bills can do it, the Panthers can do it...and all the guys they benched are probably better than Cassel too.

Prodigal Son
10-12-2010, 09:51 PM
I think Haley is doing good things with this team, but I hate how he patronizes the fans.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I think Haley is doing good things with this team, but I hate how he patronizes the fans.

It's just coachspeak. I've learned to read his stuff but listen to nothing.

Prodigal Son
10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. But I think there is some more room for him to be honest with the fans, to avoid treating us like idiots, while still being diplomatic about his players.

His response is basically, "We're 3-1, so shut up and don't question any of my decisions because they are obviously right."

Fine. But if the Chiefs are 7-9 at the end of the year, does that mean that all of his decisions were wrong?

I guess I don't think it's that simple, Haley knows that, and Haley should treat the fans like we are smart enough to understand that. If he thinks Cassel should be playing better, it wouldn't hurt him to say something like, "We think Matt can play better. We just want him to keep working hard and show improvement. He's doing some good things, taking care of the football and giving us chances to win. Of course we would like to get him to the point where we can expand our options on offense a little bit, but we have to be patient. Matt is our guy, and we have confidence in him to get us to that point. And we need to support him better. Improving the passing game is going to have to be a total team effort."

Something like that may be coachspeak, but it's not exactly throwing Cassel under the bus, and it's at least being partially honest to the fans without being condescending to us.

I guess I just get annoyed when someone treats me like an idiot while I am one of his company's loyal customers.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. But I think there is some more room for him to be honest with the fans, to avoid treating us like idiots, while still being diplomatic about his players.

His response is basically, "We're 3-1, so shut up and don't question any of my decisions because they are obviously right."

Fine. But if the Chiefs are 7-9 at the end of the year, does that mean that all of his decisions were wrong?

I guess I don't think it's that simple, Haley knows that, and Haley should treat the fans like we are smart enough to understand that. If he thinks Cassel should be playing better, it wouldn't hurt him to say something like, "We think Matt can play better. We just want him to keep working hard and show improvement. He's doing some good things, taking care of the football and giving us chances to win. Of course we would like to get him to the point where we can expand our options on offense a little bit, but we have to be patient. Matt is our guy, and we have confidence in him to get us to that point. And we need to support him better. Improving the passing game is going to have to be a total team effort."

Something like that may be coachspeak, but it's not exactly throwing Cassel under the bus, and it's at least being partially honest to the fans without being condescending to us.

I guess I just get annoyed when someone treats me like an idiot while I am one of his company's loyal customers.

There's some truth in your statements, but I guess they've got a "model" they're going to use for dealing with the press, and we'll just have to go with the flow.
I mean, after last years debacle and some of the statements they put out there, I can't say I'm surprised.

kcfanXIII
10-12-2010, 10:11 PM

well, you might be an idiot if you expect him to say anything in his press conferences. haley has never said anything, and you shouldn't expect him to say anything. don't take it personal, its just the way he handles the media. as long as he keeps this team improving, i don't care if he just gets up there and stares blankly at nick wright or adam tiecher when they ask a question they know he won't answer.

Prodigal Son
10-12-2010, 10:16 PM
well, you might be an idiot if you expect him to say anything in his press conferences. haley has never said anything, and you shouldn't expect him to say anything. don't take it personal, its just the way he handles the media. as long as he keeps this team improving, i don't care if he just gets up there and stares blankly at nick wright or adam tiecher when they ask a question they know he won't answer.

He does say things, though, when he's asked to defend his decisions. Things best paraphrased as, "We're 3-1, so shut up and don't question me." And saying that particular thing annoys me a lot more than if, as you suggest, he said nothing at all.

kcfanXIII
10-12-2010, 10:23 PM
dude, i don't know what to tell you. other than the team is 3-1, the defense is playing lights out, the running game is coming along, and special teams isn't playing like special needs students. so as long as the team is playing well, shut up, and don't question him...

Prodigal Son
10-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Nah, I don't think it's that black and white. I can be a happy Chiefs fan who appreciates Haley while also having reasonable, well-founded critical questions about the players, personnel, and coaching decisions. And those questions should be able to be asked by people without the response being combative or condescending.

jbwm89
10-12-2010, 10:32 PM
I don't understand why so many other teams have no problem yanking a struggling QB, but the Chiefs refuse to despite Cassel's ongoing overwhelming suckage. The Eagles can do it, the Raiders can do it, the Cardinals can do it, the Titans can do it, the Bills can do it, the Panthers can do it...and all the guys they benched are probably better than Cassel too.

I think the difference lies in the record of the teams. Besides the Eagles all the teams are underachieving, while we are overachieving despite the poor QB play. and the Eagles are a rare case not many people have Mike Vick 2.0 as their backup.

I think if we had another viable option besides Cassel you might see us make a change if we lose in Houston and he sucks again, but since Brokie is our backup and his interception throwing ways kill any chance of us being succseful this year I don't see a change happening until we either fall out of contention or next year.

jbwm89
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I can't beleive I am actually saying this but I believe Cassel gives us a better chance to win now than anyone currently on our roster.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-12-2010, 10:34 PM
Frankly, If I had to take questions from the local press, I'd probably just take a swig of Jack and drool on the microphone until it shorted out.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-12-2010, 10:47 PM
I think the difference lies in the record of the teams.

So what was their excuse last year while Assel was sucking and they were 4-12?

jbwm89
10-12-2010, 11:01 PM
So what was their excuse last year while Assel was sucking and they were 4-12?

The Chiefs excuse last year was that the team around him sucked. Obviously this year the team around him doesn't suck but he is winning and there is no other option that gives us a better chance to win.

jbwm89
10-12-2010, 11:08 PM
It takes a massive kind of suckage that even Cassel has not quite achieved yet to pull the starting quarterback of a 3-1 team that is massively exceeding expectations for Brodie fucking Croyle

BWillie
10-12-2010, 11:12 PM
I like it. You gotta be behind your players weather you believe in them or not. Sometimes positive reinforcement makes you want to not let your coach or boss down.

jbwm89
10-12-2010, 11:17 PM
I like it. You gotta be behind your players weather you believe in them or not. Sometimes positive reinforcement makes you want to not let your coach or boss down.

Exactly Haley probably knows Cassel sucks ass as much as we do. But he knows Croyle sucks way more ass so it is an easy decision to support him.