PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Chiefs’ Haley backing Bowe, Cassel

Tribal Warfare
10-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Chiefs’ Haley backing Bowe, Cassel (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/11/2301555/chiefs-haley-backing-bowe-cassel.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Lesser on-field sins have found other players a seat on the bench or a ticket out of Kansas City. But the Chiefs and coach Todd Haley continue to show uncommon patience with wide receiver Dwayne Bowe.

His third-quarter dropped pass in the end zone was a key play in the Chiefs’ first loss of the season Sunday in Indianapolis. A catch would have given the Chiefs a 13-9 lead, but instead they settled for a field goal on the possession and eventually lost 19-9.

Dropped balls have been a problem for Bowe almost from the day he joined the Chiefs in 2007, but Haley didn’t sound on Monday like a coach ready to give up on Bowe anytime soon.

“Dwayne Bowe did so many good things in that game, so many good things,” Haley said. “He played smart, he understood the game plan and what he was supposed to do, and he did it at a high level in the run game and the pass game. It just so happens that he had an opportunity to make a big play, which is part of his job description . . . and he didn’t make it. That ends up being a not-so-good thing, but Dwayne Bowe’s arrow is going up. There isn’t a doubt in my mind.

“We have won with Dwayne, and we will continue to win with Dwayne.”

Haley also aggressively defended quarterback Matt Cassel, who hasn’t taken the Chiefs to a touchdown in either of their two road games. He was 16 of 29 for 156 yards against the Colts.

“He went on the road (Sunday) against a very good team . . . No sacks, no interceptions,” Haley said. “I think there’s only two quarterbacks in the league right now with (fewer) interceptions than Matt, and their names are Manning and Brady. That’s what I’m asking of our quarterback first and foremost, to protect the football, to give us chances to win. That’s what he’s doing. That’s how he’s going about his business. He showed great composure. I thought he did a terrific job of leading the team.

“The quarterback position is one of those that I’m really excited about. I’m excited about the progress Matt’s made.”

Cassel was actually sacked against the Colts one time, though it came on a play where he fumbled without much contact. There are other quarterbacks besides Peyton Manning and Tom Brady who have thrown fewer interceptions than Cassel, but not many.

Haley said Cassel made several big plays in Sunday’s loss, including a 21-yard pass to Bowe on fourth down that allowed the Chiefs to extend their final drive of the game.

“That was one of the all-time (best) throws I’ve ever seen that kept the game alive,” Haley said.

“We’re 3-1 in the first quarter of the season, which is exactly what we want or what we will go into the next quarter feeling good about . . . He’s been our quarterback. Can he be more efficient? Absolutely. But his arrow is without a doubt pointing up. This guy is making progress.”

Cassel would have looked better in Indianapolis had Bowe caught the touchdown pass. Bowe also dropped a shorter pass on the next play.

Catching the ball has never been the natural act for Bowe that it is for some other receivers. He tends to move his hands right before the catch, a sign he’s not comfortable.

The Chiefs have long been hopeful Bowe would improve with age, but he hasn’t. Haley has called Bowe a young, developing player, a term he has also used of many of the other Chiefs.

But the term doesn’t fit Bowe anymore. He’s 26 and in his fourth season and should be getting into the prime of his career.

Either way, Haley prefers reliable players, ones who give an even performance week in and week out. Bowe has never been a player the Chiefs can count on in the clutch, though Haley disagreed with that notion.

“He fits it more and more,” Haley said. “I clearly saw somebody that’s making progress.

“That game did not come down to Dwayne Bowe catching or not catching that ball. It really didn’t. We win as a team and lose as a team, and there were enough situations in that game before and after that play that the outcome could have changed (on).

“There were enough (other) plays, opportunities. That was no more critical than me deciding to start the game the way we did (with a failed onside kick).”

Tribal Warfare
10-12-2010, 12:07 AM
That was one of the all-time (best) throws I’ve ever seen that kept the game alive

Hu-huh :spock:

Hammock Parties
10-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Yeah, that's stupid. The game was over. And the throw, while a good throw, was not THAT impressive.

Chiefs Rool
10-12-2010, 12:12 AM
Jeez, they aren't giving up on Cassel anytime soon.

BryanBusby
10-12-2010, 12:20 AM
What are they going to give up on him for currently? Croyle, Palko?

They just have to ride with the bum behind the wheel for now.

Donger
10-12-2010, 12:23 AM
“He went on the road (Sunday) against a very good team . . . No sacks, no interceptions,” Haley said. “I think there’s only two quarterbacks in the league right now with (fewer) interceptions than Matt, and their names are Manning and Brady. That’s what I’m asking of our quarterback first and foremost, to protect the football, to give us chances to win.

No sacks? Isn't that mostly to the credit of the offensive line?

No interceptions? Well, I guess that is good, but how many of his throws were no where near ANY player who could actually catch the ball?

The QB's first and foremost job is to protect the ball? I thought it was to throw the damn thing.

FAX
10-12-2010, 12:32 AM
I watched this earlier today and found it to be the most interesting press conference to date ... very revealing as to Haley's attitude and rationale. I'm beginning to understand his point of view on all this and realizing that he and Pioli are a hell of a lot more patient than I am.

My take is that he sees the entire team as a giant work-in-progress and there remains much work to be done. One guy ... or one position is relatively minor compared to the overall effort to build the team, ground up, into something "good" and consistently competitive. With that in mind, he's not going to emphasize one player or one play and he's certainly not going to call out a player at this point ... especially in public.

Rather, his focus seems to be on overall improvement "across the board" and in "every area" with the focus on "team". I don't disagree with this approach ... in fact, it's probably best for the franchise in the long run. I would be pounding the pavement for a replacement at the quarterback position, though. And, I'm absolutely certain that Haley would like to start airing it out sooner rather than later ... that's his mentality and makeup, so far as I can tell. Sadly, all we Casswipes can do in the meantime is have faith and wait it out.

FAX

FAX
10-12-2010, 12:35 AM

No interceptions? Well, I guess that is good, but how many of his throws were no where near ANY player who could actually catch the ball?

The QB's first and foremost job is to protect the ball? I thought it was to throw the damn thing.

Casscramp used to take two or three sacks before breakfast, Mr. Donger.

Frankly, the guy was almost as bad as Downfield Damon in that regard. Held the ball forever (probably due to his slow-minded reaction time) and took a bunch of hits and sacks and pressures as a result. He didn't tend to go fetal, though, like Downfield used to do. That's something.

FAX

johnny961
10-12-2010, 02:22 AM
No respectable NFL coach is going to diss a player publicly. He's going to support his team and the players. Which is exactly what Haley is doing here. Even though his assistants and him may know privately that certain players aren't working out, very rarely if ever will this be acknowledged publicly.

DBOSHO
10-12-2010, 03:25 AM
Bowes arrow is pointing up

Cassels arrow is pointing up

My arrow will point up when these bums start producing.

blazzin311
10-12-2010, 04:08 AM
I watched this earlier today and found it to be the most interesting press conference to date ... very revealing as to Haley's attitude and rationale. I'm beginning to understand his point of view on all this and realizing that he and Pioli are a hell of a lot more patient than I am.

My take is that he sees the entire team as a giant work-in-progress and there remains much work to be done. One guy ... or one position is relatively minor compared to the overall effort to build the team, ground up, into something "good" and consistently competitive. With that in mind, he's not going to emphasize one player or one play and he's certainly not going to call out a player at this point ... especially in public.

Rather, his focus seems to be on overall improvement "across the board" and in "every area" with the focus on "team". I don't disagree with this approach ... in fact, it's probably best for the franchise in the long run. I would be pounding the pavement for a replacement at the quarterback position, though. And, I'm absolutely certain that Haley would like to start airing it out sooner rather than later ... that's his mentality and makeup, so far as I can tell. Sadly, all we Casswipes can do in the meantime is have faith and wait it out.

FAX

I agree with all of this...very well said. I've never been a huge fan of Cassel, but I was always kind of under the impression that this was the approach Haley and Pioli were taking as to rebuilding the franchise. Time will tell if it's the correct approach. As for developing a QB it may not be since Cassel doesn't actually seem to be progressing....but for overhauling a team and building a foundation it seems to be working for the time being just based on the Chiefs record and how well the Defense has played thus far. We'll see. The jury's still out on this one. I will say though that I have noticed great strides in the demeanor and on field effort with this team as well as talent level, so it must be working to some extent.

blazzin311
10-12-2010, 04:11 AM

I wouldn't necessarily disagree with this. I would however say throughout his career we've seen some talent and flashes out of Bowe....he just needs to show it consistently. Cassel however I've never been too terribly impressed with. He's a likeable guy and all and I'd like him to prove me wrong but I just don't see it. A great backup he is, but below average starter it seems.

Extra Point
10-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Herm would have thrown both Cassel and Bowe under the bus.

Haley's a coach, playing with the cards he's dealt. These two jacks have to turn into aces.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-12-2010, 06:01 AM

QB's often hold onto the ball too long in the pocket. He has done a good job of getting rid of the ball and not taking a sack when guys aren't open.

And, all coaches, aside from perhaps Mike Martz will tell you that the number priority of a QB is to protect the ball. This is especially true when you have a good defense and running game.

donkhater
10-12-2010, 06:46 AM
Well, maybe that's it. Wies and Haley are taking Cassel's progression step-wise. First things first, eliminate or reduce sacks and interceptions. Personally it seems as if it has made Cassel play a little scared and tentative, but they're the experts. Once they feel he has some sort of pocket awareness and sense of what open is, then they move on to other things.

Ideally you wouldn't have to do this with a 28-year old that's been in the league a while, but it seems as if this is what Wies was refering to when he said he needed to fix the QB.

mcaj22
10-12-2010, 07:10 AM
I can't believe we have to fucking groom a 28 year old QB. If we are going to take the time out to do this why not just fucking groom the 22/23 year old rookie in next years draft.

Chiefnj2
10-12-2010, 07:12 AM
I don't really care what Haley says in public as long as he's kicking Bowe's ass in the locker room.

Frosty
10-12-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm not going to get upset about Haley supporting Cassel unless it is still happening next season. Same with Bowe. There simply aren't other options at this time. Croyle hasn't proven durable enough to trust and there is no one behind him. There are also no other options at WR. Trading for another WR without the QB being fixed would be a waste of picks, IMO.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-12-2010, 07:37 AM
What most on here fail to understand is that Cassel is a coaches dream as far as a player is concerned. He is a hard worker. He puts his team above himself. He has no ego... and he will do whatever the coaches say, when they say to do it.

No griping about a run first offense. No slamming of Bowe when he fails to deliver on an easy TD catch. No pointing fingers at Charles for fumbling the ball.

None of that.

A team first guy in EVERY regard.

Coaches love that. So, he will get every opportunity to produce.

It's just the way it is.

kcfanXIII
10-12-2010, 07:38 AM
I'm trying to figure out who is expecting Haley to just come out and blast his qb or wr, or any other position for that matter. a professional coach just doesn't do that. I think its obvious they see his limitations based on what they allow him to do with the ball. The Chiefs are playing with house money right now, in the sense that no one thought they'd be a playoff team this year. I'm willing to deal with these two scrubs being on my football team as long as at least one of them (preferably both) are replaced this off season. In the meantime, as has been stated, there's just no one else to take their positions from them.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-12-2010, 07:40 AM
I can't believe we have to ****ing groom a 28 year old QB. If we are going to take the time out to do this why not just ****ing groom the 22/23 year old rookie in next years draft.

I am sure that the Chiefs hope that after this season, they will be done grooming.

Red Dawg
10-12-2010, 07:47 AM

Is that an arrow in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

loochy
10-12-2010, 07:49 AM
What are they going to give up on him for currently? Croyle, Palko?

They just have to ride with the bum behind the wheel for now.

Sigh..... this. It sucks.

ElGringo
10-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Right now we are on a good ride. Will the Chiefs make the SB with Cassel behind center, oh hell no. Might we make the playoffs (even this year) with him behind center, that is possible. I for one will sit back and enjoy the season until it is over. I do want to draft a QB and WR, but do not know anything about college football, so don't know the prospects.

Shogun
10-12-2010, 07:56 AM
What most on here fail to understand is that Cassel is a coaches dream as far as a player is concerned. He is a hard worker. He puts his team above himself. He has no ego... and he will do whatever the coaches say, when they say to do it.

No griping about a run first offense. No slamming of Bowe when he fails to deliver on an easy TD catch. No pointing fingers at Charles for fumbling the ball.

None of that.

It's just the way it is.

This is very true. Cassel has Haley and Pioli in his ****ing pocket!

Too bad he can't get them in the end zone....HAY YOOOOO

bobbything
10-12-2010, 08:01 AM
Cassel took a sack when he Keystone Cop'd himself into one on the last drive (I think). He dropped the ball under no duress, then when he fell on it, it squirted out of his uterus like an overdue baby covered in afterbirth.

The best throw I've ever seen a Chief make was Montana's toss to Willie Davis against Denver on Monday night in 1994. And it's not even close. The 2nd best was Green's 4th and long conversion to Dante Hall in Dallas to set up Tynes' missed 41 yard field goal.

Cassel's pass, while very good, wasn't anywhere near either of those.

Fish
10-12-2010, 08:22 AM
I'm trying to figure out who is expecting Haley to just come out and blast his qb or wr, or any other position for that matter. a professional coach just doesn't do that. I think its obvious they see his limitations based on what they allow him to do with the ball. The Chiefs are playing with house money right now, in the sense that no one thought they'd be a playoff team this year. I'm willing to deal with these two scrubs being on my football team as long as at least one of them (preferably both) are replaced this off season. In the meantime, as has been stated, there's just no one else to take their positions from them.

Except.... Todd Haley admitted in an interview less than a month ago that he sends Brandon Flowers text messages telling him that Revis is better than him. That sets a bit of a double standard with the coach.

And the reason there is no one else to take their positions, is because the coaching staff brought in no one else to challenge them. At all. And yes, they are exceeding expectations, but I don't see that as a reason to give them a free pass on bad personnel moves. Everyone seems to be taking solace in the fact that the Chiefs could part ways with Cassel or Bowe, but there's no indication at all that they actually will.

Chiefnj2
10-12-2010, 08:32 AM
Except.... Todd Haley admitted in an interview less than a month ago that he sends Brandon Flowers text messages telling him that Revis is better than him. That sets a bit of a double standard with the coach.

Different players react differently to different coaching methods.

Maybe Flowers can deal with something like that, while Bowe will drop more passes and Cassel will panic even more. Players respond to different methodologies.

Bugeater
10-12-2010, 08:37 AM

None of that.

It's just the way it is.
It's pretty easy to be a team first guy when you know everyone else on the team does their job better than you do.

Fish
10-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Different players react differently to different coaching methods.

Maybe Flowers can deal with something like that, while Bowe will drop more passes and Cassel will panic even more. Players respond to different methodologies.

Understood. But the point is that the QB of the Chiefs, the guy who is supposed to be the leader, the guy occupying the most important position on the field, evidently can't handle a single ounce of criticism. That's pretty weak.

kcfanXIII
10-12-2010, 08:52 AM

no not really. Flowers may respond well to that type of motivation. Haley has stated before that he will motivate players differently depending on what they respond too.

Everyone seems to be taking solace in the fact that the Chiefs could part ways with Cassel or Bowe, but there's no indication at all that they actually will.

And going into week 6 with a record of 3-1 there should be no indication from anyone on the chiefs' staff that ANYBODY'S job is in danger. Especially since there is NO ONE else to take over. And ya, that does fall on Haley and Pioli a little bit, but with the way the rest of the team has improved over last year, i think they get a pass on not being 100% done with the job. If the running game wasn't what it has been, and the defense was still giving up points like a hooker gives out herpes, i might be a little more concerned. But the defense is improved along with almost every other aspect of the team, QB and WR play aside. Patience will be key over the next 2 years or so. Its been said on here before, "Rome wasn't built in a day"

Chiefnj2
10-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Understood. But the point is that the QB of the Chiefs, the guy who is supposed to be the leader, the guy occupying the most important position on the field, evidently can't handle a single ounce of criticism. That's pretty weak.

You don't know if he can or can't. There is no point whatsoever in Haley calling out Cassel publicly. What will it achieve? Nothing. All it does is give the local media some ammunition to distract Cassel. "So your head coach said you played poorly. What do you think about that?"

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 09:06 AM
Sure would be nice not to see the QB make these types of comments after a loss, especially when he didn't play particularly well, to be kind:

"But I think I did pretty well. I played the game plan very well. I'd have to say that I did about as well as I could out there. That's all you can ask." (copied and pasted from the 810 thread)

Thorpilian
10-12-2010, 09:15 AM
I think Hayley needs to back Cassel and Bowe for the simple fact that for this season, they are our only options. Take out D-Bowe with our run game, and we take our best WRing and downfield blocker. Our only big bodied reciever who can beat the jam and make a catch in traffic. Even if he drops a few. He is by far our best WR, and give him some backing publicly, while giving him some stern frowns in the locker room. Waters, Vrabel, and a few of our other locker room leaders will make sure of that. Plus+, D-Bowe knows the gravity of his drops last game. I really think he will have his best game next week. Time will tell. As for Cassel. Support him through the season, hope he improves, even if ever so slightly. When the offseason arrives, either find our next project, or find someone to compete with him. What other options do we have?

GO CHIEFS! In spite of Cassel!

Fish
10-12-2010, 09:18 AM
You don't know if he can or can't. There is no point whatsoever in Haley calling out Cassel publicly. What will it achieve? Nothing. All it does is give the local media some ammunition to distract Cassel. "So your head coach said you played poorly. What do you think about that?"

Technically there was no point in him publicly calling out Flowers. But everyone assumes (knows) that Flowers is a tough SOB and can handle criticism.

If Cassel wasn't a timid puppy who pees on the floor when you look him in the eye, yeah it wouldn't be a problem and the coach could discuss it. Instead, we have articles in the paper describing Haley as "aggressively defending" Cassel. Different motivation is one thing. But blatant protection of a weak player's psyche is another. It's pretty obvious in this case.

Calling out Cassel publicly could very well motivate him. You see it all the time around the league. Hell, Todd Haley's #1 role model Parcells used to call his players "she" and "her" when discussing them with the media. But I think Haley understands exactly what they have in Cassel, and why he has to protect him in the media.

cdcox
10-12-2010, 09:22 AM
He has no ego...

This is one of the problems.

Would you say the same about:

Manning
Brady
Brees
Favre (prime)
Elway
Marino
Montana
Warner

or even Trent Green.

You need a certain amount of fire in the belly. A will to win. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Intestinal fortitude. Passion. This drive and fire comes via the ego.

Chiefnj2
10-12-2010, 09:23 AM
You see it all the time around the league. Hell, Todd Haley's #1 role model Parcells used to call his players "she" and "her" when discussing them with the media. But I think Haley understands exactly what they have in Cassel, and why he has to protect him in the media.

Parcells called Terry Glenn "she" when he thought Glenn was nursing a hamstring a little too much. He didn't do that to all his players.

Not many coaches call out their QBs.

Marcellus
10-12-2010, 09:25 AM
Sure would be nice not to see the QB make these types of comments after a loss, especially when he didn't play particularly well, to be kind:

"But I think I did pretty well. I played the game plan very well. I'd have to say that I did about as well as I could out there. That's all you can ask." (copied and pasted from the 810 thread)

We all know Cassel sucks. We all know he says dumb shit about how he played and doesn't take responsibility. We know this.

Do we need to beat this horse every single thread every day?This is basically the same post OTWP has posted over and over.

It's like everyone is Mecca now and can't do anything but repeat the same shit over and over.

Fish
10-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Parcells called Terry Glenn "she" when he thought Glenn was nursing a hamstring a little too much. He didn't do that to all his players.

Not many coaches call out their QBs.

Yeah... so infrequently that the last time it happened was what.... 2 days ago in San Fran?

Chief Pote
10-12-2010, 09:44 AM
He’s been our quarterback. Can he be more efficient? Absolutely. But his arrow is without a doubt pointing up. This guy is making progress.”

He fuckin makes 14 mil a year or whatever he makes and he's making progress?? Give me a fuckin break!!!

Reerun_KC
10-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Yeah... so infrequently that the last time it happened was what.... 2 days ago in San Fran?

Your not going to use one of the most disfuctional franchises and coaching staffs to prove a point are you? :spock:

That is almost like saying Al Davis loves the Chiefs... Its just not right...LMAO

Meanstreak
10-12-2010, 10:02 AM
“He went on the road (Sunday) against a very good team . . . No sacks, no interceptions,” Haley said. “I think there’s only two quarterbacks in the league right now with (fewer) interceptions than Matt, and their names are Manning and Brady. That’s what I’m asking of our quarterback first and foremost, to protect the football, to give us chances to win. That’s what he’s doing. That’s how he’s going about his business. He showed great composure. I thought he did a terrific job of leading the team.

He is right about Manning & Brady, but also left off the following:

Player Team TD Int
Mark Sanchez NYJ 8 0
Michael Vick PHI 6 0
Kevin Kolb PHI 2 1
Peyton Manning IND 11 2
Tom Brady NE 9 2
Seneca Wallace CLE 4 2
Vince Young TEN 6 2
Ryan Fitzpatrick BUF 7 2
Jason Campbell OAK 2 2

In addition, if you looked at the % of times he was picked off per attempts, he throws a pick every 35.31 Pass Atempts or 2.86% of the time. Comparing that to Peyton's (1 per 108 PA, or 0.86%), or Brady's (1 per 61 PA, or 1.64%), Cassel still is a long ways off. In fact there are 14 QB's better at this ratio than Cassel.

As far as sacks go, the only QB better in the game is Peyton in which he gets popped 1 time every 43.2 times he dropps back to Cassel's 35.3.

The teams we played weren't sack happy teams like the Giants, Packers or Eagles, but they do have a combined yearly sack total of 46 sacks of which only 3 are ours.

Cassel has improved in a few areas, but the strong running game, solid play by the line, and a few drops by opposing defenses have also had a contribution.

Shox
10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Wow. I'm completely stunned by the level of Haley's support. I understand trying to publically support your QB, but this is way over the top.

It is one thing for a QB to "manage" a game, but Cassel has not managed he has been a hinderance to the Chiefs winning in every game except for second half of the 49er game.

Amazing!!!

Really very disappointing if Haley truely believes in the guy.

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 11:43 AM
We all know Cassel sucks. We all know he says dumb shit about how he played and doesn't take responsibility. We know this.

Do we need to beat this horse every single thread every day?This is basically the same post OTWP has posted over and over.

It's like everyone is Mecca now and can't do anything but repeat the same shit over and over.

First, I haven't seen all of these posts from OTW.

But this is a thread about Cassel, and there were several posts to the effect of "What is he [Haley] supposed to say?!?" And thus the response that I could care less what Haley says and do care what our worthless QB says is pertinent.

While I agree that there isn't a whole lot of new ground to cover with respect to Cassel analysis, unless we're taking this topic off the CP table, there's inevitably going to be some (or much?) repetition. As Herm would suggest, whom Cassel apparently respects as a no-responsibility leader, "Get over it."

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Wow. I'm completely stunned by the level of Haley's support. I understand trying to publically support your QB, but this is way over the top.

It is one thing for a QB to "manage" a game, but Cassel has not managed he has been a hinderance to the Chiefs winning in every game except for second half of the 49er game.

Amazing!!!

Really very disappointing if Haley truely believes in the guy.

Shockingly, it's possible that a bunch of people on a message board just might not have all the pertinent information to make the best decisions and evaluations of NFL personnel.

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Shockingly, it's possible that a bunch of people on a message board just might not have all the pertinent information to make the best decisions and evaluations of NFL personnel.

Still have faith that the "Cassel haters" are wrong? Or, and this is tightly related in my mind, you believe Cassel is a viable long-term option at QB for a team trying to win a SB?

Bugeater
10-12-2010, 11:57 AM
What is more pertinent than one's play on the field?

Fish
10-12-2010, 11:58 AM

LMAO.... your persistence is admirable...

Mecca
10-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Just Passin By here to assure us yet again that Matt Cassel rules.

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Amazing!!!

Really very disappointing if Haley truely believes in the guy.Please. :rolleyes: Haley is not the kind of coach to throw his players under the bus.

LaChapelle
10-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Haley: Hey Kayak -Cassel and Bowe suck so just stack the box
I just dressed them down in the media to help you out
-Love and Kisses -Road Rage

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Shockingly, it's possible that a bunch of people on a message board just might not have all the pertinent information to make the best decisions and evaluations of NFL personnel.LMAO Dufus

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Please. :rolleyes: Haley is not the kind of coach to throw his players under the bus.

Again, I don't want any player "thrown under the bus." But I also don't want anyone treated with kid gloves, which Cassel definitely is.

And to the point that "different players need different treatment," any QB who is so mentally fragile that a few less-than-soft words break his spirit is someone who was a worthless sack of shit from the start.

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 12:03 PM
What is more pertinent than one's play on the field?

As outsiders, we don't know the play calls, the progressions, and the like. Last night's Vikings game is a good example. On the throw from Favre to Harvin at the end, did Harvin flatten out his route just a step or so when he wasn't supposed to, or did Favre throw it too far down the field? We can guess, and we might well be right, but we won't be sure unless the Vikings (players, coaches, whomever) come out and tell us.

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 12:05 PM
LMAO.... your persistence is admirable...

It's not so much persistence as it is frequent amusement at the ability of some posters here to completely ignore reality.

Fish
10-12-2010, 12:09 PM
It's not so much persistence as it is frequent amusement at the ability of some posters here to completely ignore reality.

What reality is being ignored here? This is being talked about as much as any topic, what are some posters ignoring?

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Why do people bring his salary into this? Its not our money. Who gives a shit? If he were making league fucking minimum, he would be overpaid.

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Again, I don't want any player "thrown under the bus." But I also don't want anyone treated with kid gloves, which Cassel definitely is.

And to the point that "different players need different treatment," any QB who is so mentally fragile that a few less-than-soft words break his spirit is someone who was a worthless sack of shit from the start.I agree. We dont know how Cassel is being treated internally, either.

I dont really care what Haley says about Cassel, publically.

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
What reality is being ignored here? This is being talked about as much as any topic, what are some posters ignoring?

Well, let's look at some basics:

1.) Cassel has a QB rating in the 90's on 2nd down, and only in the 60's on 1st and 3rd down. Even on 3rd down, his rating is a respectable 98.1 when the distance is 3-7 yards (Better than Brees, for example). It's still early, and the sample sizes are small, but it's not as if he's been completely incompetent, as far too many of you people like to insist.

2.) If a receiver drops a pass, the QBs percentage and yardage are immediately impacted, but so are the subsequent plays. Dropping a 5 yard pass on 1st down changes things from 2nd and 5 to 2nd and 10, which radically changes outcome percentages, leads to different play calling, and puts the QBs in much more difficult situations.

3.) All quarterbacks, including Brady, Brees and Manning, make bad passes.

People here like to ignore, or completely minimize, these simple truths. The fact that people are searching for scapegoats on a 3-1 team is pathetic. The fact that people are heaping almost all their derision on the QB is moronic. Last year, Pioli and Haley were idiots, according to many of the NFL geniuses here. Now that those two seem to be off the table for the moment, instead of that causing people to reassess their positions, it's just narrowed the bitching field and intensified the crying about the QB.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Haley is just being a good HC

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2010, 12:26 PM
As outsiders, we don't know the play calls, the progressions, and the like. Last night's Vikings game is a good example. On the throw from Favre to Harvin at the end, did Harvin flatten out his route just a step or so when he wasn't supposed to, or did Favre throw it too far down the field? We can guess, and we might well be right, but we won't be sure unless the Vikings (players, coaches, whomever) come out and tell us.You can simply watch replays and see that he doesnt go thru all his progressions during plays. Thats obvious. Check out that 4th and 2 pass to Bowe.

the Talking Can
10-12-2010, 12:28 PM

1.) Cassel has a QB rating in the 90's on 2nd down, and only in the 60's on 1st and 3rd down. Even on 3rd down, his rating is a respectable 98.1 when the distance is 3-7 yards (Better than Brees, for example). It's still early, and the sample sizes are small, but it's not as if he's been completely incompetent, as far too many of you people like to insist.

2.) If a receiver drops a pass, the QBs percentage and yardage are immediately impacted, but so are the subsequent plays. Dropping a 5 yard pass on 1st down changes things from 2nd and 5 to 2nd and 10, which radically changes outcome percentages, leads to different play calling, and puts the QBs in much more difficult situations.

People here like to ignore, or completely minimize, these simple truths. The fact that people are searching for scapegoats on a 3-1 team is pathetic. The fact that people are heaping almost all their derision on the QB is moronic. Last year, Pioli and Haley were idiots, according to many of the NFL geniuses here. Now that those two seem to be off the table for the moment, instead of that causing people to reassess their positions, it's just narrowed the bitching field and intensified the crying about the QB.

holy shit

that pats fan is back....

no one loves shitty QB play more than this guy...the absolute fucking crazier than kcjohhny king....

relish these posts people...he makes pioli zombie look like an amateur

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2010, 12:30 PM

People here like to ignore, or completely minimize, these simple truths. The fact that people are searching for scapegoats on a 3-1 team is pathetic. The fact that people are heaping almost all their derision on the QB is moronic. Last year, Pioli and Haley were idiots, according to many of the NFL geniuses here. Now that those two seem to be off the table for the moment, instead of that causing people to reassess their positions, it's just narrowed the bitching field and intensified the crying about the QB.ROFL Keep trying...

the Talking Can
10-12-2010, 12:32 PM

Cassel is a flaming piece of shit...a god damn catastrophic flaming aids face plant...by any quantitative or qualitative measurement

and you are dip shit....epic dipshit

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Cassel is a flaming piece of shit...a god damn catastrophic flaming aids face plant...by any quantitative or qualitative measurement

and you are dip shit....epic dipshit

Last year you were posting against the clowns who were bashing the team. This year, you've decided to be loved, and have joined in the Cassel bashing. You're a follower who needed to be liked. Your opinion is worth less than dogshit on a sneaker.

the Talking Can
10-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Last year you were posting against the clowns who were bashing the team. This year, you've decided to be loved, and have joined in the Cassel bashing. You're a follower who needed to be liked. Your opinion is worth less than dogshit on a sneaker.

ROFL

you're the King Clown of this board

the last person on earth who claims Cassel is a good QB..and actually believes it

please for the love of god keep posting

we need you

the Talking Can
10-12-2010, 12:42 PM

seriously people, this is the internet version of the last Dodo

http://ecoki.com/wp-content/uploads/dodo-300x256.jpg

take a look before it is gone forever....

(well, there is pawnsmoker, but no one really cares...)

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 12:46 PM
ROFL Keep trying...

No need, really. As I noted, it's not about defending Cassel. It's about watching some clueless posters here saying absolutely stupid things and responding to that. It's perfectly sensible to assert that Cassel could be doing better, but that's only true when you have a base argument that amounts to more than "Cassel sucks!".

Line struggles = more sacks, lower completion percentages, shorter routes

Receiver separation struggles = holding the ball longer, lower completion percentages, more interceptions, more sacks

Receiver drop/bobble struggles = lower percentages, fewer yards, less confidence, tougher subsequent downs, (possibly) higher interception totals

When you break down an offense, you've got to look at all of that (and more) and try weighing it to figure out where the problems generally lie. Was the sack because of the line, the receiver, the QB, a combination, etc... Teams and players do that. That's why a QB can claim he graded out well when viewers think he stunk (to be fair to both sides, said QB could also be lying, but I'm just pointing out possibilities).

Some posters also try to do that when looking to assess blame/credit. A large group here don't bother. To them, every play that doesn't produce a Chiefs touchdown is a product of a Cassel failure, and every play that does is in spite of a Cassel failure.

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 12:47 PM
ROFL

you're the King Clown of this board

the last person on earth who claims Cassel is a good QB..and actually believes it

please for the love of god keep posting

we need you

The quality and complexity of your posts is rivaled only by those using just emoticons. I look forward to your next drooling attempt at sensible posting with great anticipation.

milkman
10-12-2010, 01:08 PM

I don't have to break down film or know the progressions to know that Cassel is completely lacking in confidence.

We've seen play after play where we were able to see the reads that Cassel should have made, but that doesn't matter.

I want a QB that leads with confidence, not a QB that only has his confidence propped up when the players around him make plays for him.

Brady, Brees, and Manning make bad passes.

Brady, Brees, and Manning have WRs drop balls, run poor routes.

The difference between good QBs, not just those guys, and Cassel is they come back and continue to play with confidence and lead their teams.

Fish
10-12-2010, 01:09 PM

What possible good can you squeeze out of those cherry-picked stats? Good on a specific down, but only respectable on others when limited to a certain small distance? Hooray he hasn't been horrible on 2nd down? Come on dude. That's not any type of "ignored reality", that's picking only the positive parts of an overall bleak picture.

Yes, WRs do drop passes. But dropped passes cannot be blamed for Cassel's performance this year. No way.

And Brady, Brees, and Manning certainly make bad passes. Nobody is questioning that.

Last year, Pioli and Haley were idiots. They deserved quite a bit of the criticism last year. But if you'd care to look, some of the biggest critics last year have fully admitted that Pioli and Haley have both had a very good offseason, and have done well so far this year. Cassel is the bad guy now, because everyone is coming to the opinion that he's the weak link. And nothing we've seen seems to indicate otherwise.

the Talking Can
10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
all WRs drop passes

ergo

Sammie Parker and Randy Moss are both good WRs....

Inspector
10-12-2010, 01:15 PM

Whew!

This is good to know. I was beginning to think Cassel just wasn't very good.

Thanks for clearing the air and setting us straight! Cassel makes some bad passes just like Brady, Manning and Brees.

Man, I feel better now. Maybe we should go ahead and print 'em!

Beef Supreme
10-12-2010, 01:17 PM
I just want to not have to hold my breath on every third down — and then subsequently bang my head against the coffee table because we didn't make it...again.

If Mark Castle were a baseball pitcher, three and out would be much more appealing.

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Weis is clearly to blame for Cassel's play because he's not asking his QB to do enough on second down, when he's at his best.

Rausch
10-12-2010, 01:22 PM
It's not like this is Bowe's rookie year or the first time he's had problems consistently catching the football.

Dropping easy passes has been a consistent problem for Bowe's whole career. I'll be ready to be rid of him come the offseason...

the Talking Can
10-12-2010, 01:23 PM
Weis is clearly to blame for Cassel's play because he's not asking his QB to do enough on second down, when he's at his best.

Marino made it to the hall of fame for his second down throws...best 2nd down QB ever...

Cassel has that kind of 2nd down upside

Mecca
10-12-2010, 01:25 PM
It's not like this is Bowe's rookie year or the first time he's had problems consistently catching the football.

Dropping easy passes has been a consistent problem for Bowe's whole career. I'll be ready to be rid of him come the offseason...

Some guys drop passes, it's just part of what it is, Owens always has.

Inspector
10-12-2010, 01:27 PM
I just want to not have to hold my breath on every third down — and then subsequently bang my head against the coffee table because we didn't make it...again.

If Mark Castle were a baseball pitcher, three and out would be much more appealing.

Welcome aboard!!!

Rausch
10-12-2010, 01:30 PM
Some guys drop passes, it's just part of what it is, Owens always has.

Do you see me heaping great respect on Owens?

No, you don't.

Catching the football is your primary job, anything after that is icing...

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 01:31 PM
I don't have to break down film or know the progressions to know that Cassel is completely lacking in confidence.

Except that your claim is not true.

We've seen play after play where we were able to see the reads that Cassel should have made, but that doesn't matter.

Except that you don't know what the read progression was supposed to be

I want a QB that leads with confidence, not a QB that only has his confidence propped up when the players around him make plays for him.

Valid point, although the word "confidence" is just a phrasing on your part, and is not how I'd characterize it. I would phrase it as I have in other posts. Cassel picked up some bad habits in the first half of last year, and he has to break them. Getting pummeled behind that line threw him off, and he's got to get past that.

Brady, Brees, and Manning make bad passes.

True, and they do make fewer of those bad passes. I'm not claiming anything approaching parity here.

Brady, Brees, and Manning have WRs drop balls, run poor routes.

True, but Cassel faces that problem on a much more frequent basis.

The difference between good QBs, not just those guys, and Cassel is they come back and continue to play with confidence and lead their teams.

There are a lot of differences. It's a lot easier to overcome screwups when you're not surrounded by players who consistently screw up. Very few QBs can succeed consistently with both a poor line and a bad receiver corps. Manning can still have confidence because he knows that Reggie Wayne will get it right the next time. Brady can still feel at ease because he knows Welker isn't likely to drop the next one. Brees can remain calm because he knows that Colston will make the next play. Cassel still has to throw to Chambers and Bowe, and that's not exactly an inspiring duo when coming off of a mistake.

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 01:32 PM
Whew!

This is good to know. I was beginning to think Cassel just wasn't very good.

Thanks for clearing the air and setting us straight! Cassel makes some bad passes just like Brady, Manning and Brees.

Man, I feel better now. Maybe we should go ahead and print 'em!

Way to completely ignore the point in order to say something idiotic. Mecca and company will be very proud of you!

Brock
10-12-2010, 01:34 PM
Hard to believe there are still people around trying to justify Cassel's lack of ability.

Fish
10-12-2010, 01:36 PM
True, but Cassel faces that problem on a much more frequent basis.

I'm pretty sure that Indy has more drops so far this season than KC. Clark and Wayne have a combined 8 drops themselves.

Mecca
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
I think this guy is related to Matt Cassel, that's really the only reasonable answer at this point.

the Talking Can
10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Way to completely ignore the point in order to say something idiotic. Mecca and company will be very proud of you!

we'd like to know more about your passion for shitty QBs, tell us: how old where you when you realized you love shitty QBs?

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Getting pummeled behind that line threw him off

You don't know this. Have we heard the coaches make this statement?

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 01:46 PM

I think this guy is related to Matt Cassel, that's really the only reasonable answer at this point.

It's as if you were determined to make my point for me.

Mecca
10-12-2010, 01:48 PM
:facepalm: you are arguing an inarguable point, it's not worthy of a reasonable response. If you argued this in a face to face manner the only reasonable thing to do would be to bitch slap you.

Inspector
10-12-2010, 01:48 PM

But I was thanking you.

Are you mad?

Rausch
10-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Hard to believe there are still people around trying to justify Cassel's lack of ability.

The good news is we won't have to for very long.

Another year or two and we'll trade for the Rams/49'ers/Pats back up QB and we'll have a WINNAR!1!

:facepalm:

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 01:52 PM

In fairness, on every fourth even-numbered series, Cassel shows a lot of potential and statistical upside.

Just Passin' By
10-12-2010, 01:53 PM
:facepalm: you are arguing an inarguable point, it's not worthy of a reasonable response. If you argued this in a face to face manner the only reasonable thing to do would be to bitch slap you.

An inarguable point? So QB play is solely determined by the actions of the QB, and it can all be analyzed with 100% accuracy by any television viewer?

Rausch
10-12-2010, 02:04 PM
An inarguable point? So QB play is solely determined by the actions of the QB, and it can all be analyzed with 100% accuracy by any television viewer?

No.

You can look at Bono's numbers and argue he wasn't half bad, which we all know is bull$3it.

But when you look worse and are less productive than guys like Croyle and Huard.....wow.....

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Did a speck of pollen land on Cassel's balls? Why the fuck is JustFistingMyself back here?

HemiEd
10-12-2010, 03:53 PM
No respectable NFL coach is going to diss a player publicly. He's going to support his team and the players. Which is exactly what Haley is doing here. Even though his assistants and him may know privately that certain players aren't working out, very rarely if ever will this be acknowledged publicly.
Exactly, and it would probably only hurt the situation with both players if he was honest with us.
He supported Goff last year as well, and his favorite player of all time, but I don't see them out there now.

Ming the Merciless
10-12-2010, 03:54 PM
This Just In:

Coaches Rarely Say Anything Negative about Specific Players To The Media

SHOCKING

HemiEd
10-12-2010, 03:55 PM

It makes you wonder, if they are just wanting to argue and be contrary, or they are just that blind.

Ralphy Boy
10-12-2010, 04:11 PM

And to the point that "different players need different treatment," any QB who is so mentally fragile that a few less-than-soft words break his spirit is someone who was a worthless sack of shit from the start.

Honestly it reminds me of something I've seen countless times and what I like to refer to as the "youngest child syndrome". Basically meaning that Brady (big brother) was successful because of having more responsibility placed on him. His younger brother (Cassel) could live in his shadow because his parents (Haley & Pioli) fail to realize his shortcomings and subsequently make excuses for him when he fails. His inability to take responsibility for his mistakes is all the evidence that I need to believe that.

Reminds me of A Knights Tale "you have been weighed, you have been measured and you have been found wanting"

Ralphy Boy
10-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Having said that, I do believe Cassel will get better in time but I think his ceiling is much lower than Halioli would like to believe.

He has more talent than many here would like to believe but I have no faith that he can make things happen when the chips are down.

I couldn't help but think of him during the Vikings/Jets game when they talked about Favre using the pass to set up the run. It seems like with Cassel, he has better games when he can get into a rhythm and pass the ball.

I took a look at all of his games since he's been here and he's a better QB when he passes 30+ times a game than when he passes less than 30.

In the 11 games where he has thrown 30 or more passes, his average QB rating is 75.1. In the 8 games where he has thrown less than 30, his rating is 61.6.

#Passes, Completions, Attempts, Yards, Comp%, TD, INT, Sacks, QB Rating
30+ 224, 397, 2446, 56.12%, 13, 10, 32, 75.19
-30 105, 202, 1128, 52.95%, 7, 9, 13, 61.65

Rasputin
10-12-2010, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=Tribal Warfare;7082289] Chiefs’ Haley backing Bowe, Cassel (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/11/2301555/chiefs-haley-backing-bowe-cassel.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star
“The quarterback position is one of those that I’m really excited about. I’m excited about the progress Matt’s made.”

Cassel was actually sacked against the Colts one time, though it came on a play where he fumbled without much contact. "

That was a blundering blooper play if ever was one. GoChiefs can we get a gif on that? It's progress....

Extra Point
10-12-2010, 04:35 PM
This Just In:

Coaches Rarely Say Anything Negative about Specific Players To The Media

SHOCKING

THIS JUST IN: Remember Herm Edwards coached this team!

OnTheWarpath15
10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Having said that, I do believe Cassel will get better in time but I think his ceiling is much lower than Halioli would like to believe.

He has more talent than many here would like to believe but I have no faith that he can make things happen when the chips are down.

I couldn't help but think of him during the Vikings/Jets game when they talked about Favre using the pass to set up the run. It seems like with Cassel, he has better games when he can get into a rhythm and pass the ball.

I took a look at all of his games since he's been here and he's a better QB when he passes 30+ times a game than when he passes less than 30.

In the 11 games where he has thrown 30 or more passes, his average QB rating is 75.1. In the 8 games where he has thrown less than 30, his rating is 61.6.

#Passes, Completions, Attempts, Yards, Comp%, TD, INT, Sacks, QB Rating
30+ 224, 397, 2446, 56.12%, 13, 10, 32, 75.19
-30 105, 202, 1128, 52.95%, 7, 9, 13, 61.65

Here's the problem.

His play might be slightly better when throwing 30+ times, but it's still sub-par for a supposed franchise QB.

His ceiling is just about the numbers under the 30+ category:

Mid-50's completion percentage.
6 yards per attempt.
Shade above 1:1 TD:INT ratio.
Shitty QB rating.

His "best" isn't anywhere near good enough.

stevieray
10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
well...there you go. bitching about it is a waste of time.