PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto The final days of construction

Hoover
10-12-2010, 12:18 PM
The Mrs. and I are at the end of the building process of our new home. I wanted to see if you guys had any advice for us before we take possession of our new home. I do have a home inspector coming to make sure everything was built to code. Any other advice.

Thanks

Hoov

Dayze
10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
plant Aids trees in the spring.

doomy3
10-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Where's the home at? Is it in Missouri?

Make sure that ALL mechanic's liens are paid off. Meaning, make sure that the contractor paid off all of his subs and there aren't outstanding bills due. If there are, those subs can place a lien against your house and you won't have a clear title. The legislation just changed with some new rules on this in Missouri, so you may ask your builder to check with the closing title company to make sure he has done everything he needs to.

Hoover
10-12-2010, 12:23 PM
Here is a picture of the house. We are excited that the end is near, its been a long 10 months without our own house.

Dayze
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
nice crib dude.
dang.

Hoover
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
It is in Iowa

seclark
10-12-2010, 12:26 PM
what did you decide on concerning finishing the basement, hoover?
sec

Hoover
10-12-2010, 12:28 PM
We ran all of the HVAC throughout the basement and we also had it framed out. We put some electrical down there, but not everything. Kind of wish that I had done that. So all I really need to do is drywall and drop in some more electrical and it will be done.

BigMeatballDave
10-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Here is a picture of the house. We are excited that the end is near, its been a long 10 months without our own house.Nice. Congrats.

Stinger
10-12-2010, 12:45 PM
. Any other advice.

Make sure you and the Misses <strike> Copulate </strike> ... er.... Commemorate every room in the house.

plbrdude
10-12-2010, 12:45 PM
nice house

mlyonsd
10-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Here is a picture of the house. We are excited that the end is near, its been a long 10 months without our own house.

Very nice. My only suggestion is giving some thought into where you first 'do it', if you haven't done so already.

Breaking in a house properly is very important.

DMAC
10-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Your grass has dirt on it.

DeezNutz
10-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Good looking home. Congrats.

blazzin311
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Nice house for sure dude! :thumb:

seclark
10-12-2010, 01:01 PM
i don't see any other houses around. is this like, a new subdivision, or are you out in the country?
size of the property?

it does look nice hoover.
sec

tooge
10-12-2010, 01:02 PM
nice pad. Have sex in it before you close on it. It's sort of exciting to know you aren't really supposed to be in there. My wife and I did that in our first house cuz we were trying to conceive and it was "that" time. We were staying at my inlaws at the time. It was pretty cool, and the builder and cleaning lady came over right about the time we finished up. I ended up cramming the sleeping bag I brought into the attic. I think it is still there 10 years later.

blazzin311
10-12-2010, 01:04 PM
nice pad. Have sex in it before you close on it. It's sort of exciting to know you aren't really supposed to be in there. My wife and I did that in our first house cuz we were trying to conceive and it was "that" time. We were staying at my inlaws at the time. It was pretty cool, and the builder and cleaning lady came over right about the time we finished up. I ended up cramming the sleeping bag I brought into the attic. I think it is still there 10 years later.

Well unless you removed that little piece of family history, why wouldn't it still be there?

tooge
10-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Well unless you removed that little piece of family history, why wouldn't it still be there?

we moved and I never remembered to get it out. Might be a bit strange to go knock on the door now.

Hoover
10-12-2010, 01:09 PM
i don't see any other houses around. is this like, a new subdivision, or are you out in the country?
size of the property?

it does look nice hoover.
sec
It sits on 3/4 of an acre lot. Its in a rural subdivision. It backs into another 4 acre property so i shouldn't ever have much behind me.

Inspector
10-12-2010, 01:32 PM
I thought houses were supposed to have wheels on them??

Congrats! Enjoy many happy decades there!

bobbymitch
10-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Go around with the inspector. Operate every switch, faucet, door, drawer, window, etc. Ensure all drains actually drain. Look at the exhaust runs. Do they rise and are they sealed with metal tape? Where do any exhaust fans exhaust? Better be to the exterior and not attic or joist spaces. Water shut offs on all faucets? Grab a hold and shake all plumbing runs. They should not move. Do the same for sewer lines. Ensure a sewer clean out is readily available. Look at floor joists to ensure that none have been notched for plumbing runs. All penetrations should be in the middle of the joist. Ensure that all electrical breakers have been marked to room/appliance served. Ya should have at least 4 available breaker spaces unused. This is a short list.

Foundation drains open or do they dump into a sump? On a septic? If so, where is the drain field and clean out located?

Hopefully ya took photos of the build to locate all wiring and plumbing runs.

allen_kcCard
10-12-2010, 02:47 PM

Before they sod it, make sure that all the construction debris shit is really cleaned up. Hell, go rent a tiller and churn it all up and pick up the crap they buried if need be and then let it settle again over winter maybe. I wish I'd had the chance to before they sodded ours.

Simply Red
10-12-2010, 02:49 PM
nicely done, Hoov.

-SR

Munson
10-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Make sure you have plenty of antifreeze on tap.

vailpass
10-12-2010, 02:54 PM
What you gonna' do with your yard?

Buck
10-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I really hope you built a man room.

BIG_DADDY
10-12-2010, 03:34 PM

With a strippers pole.

bevischief
10-12-2010, 04:31 PM

With lots of TVs, a bar, and a stripper pole.

Hoover
10-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Go around with the inspector. Operate every switch, faucet, door, drawer, window, etc. Ensure all drains actually drain. Look at the exhaust runs. Do they rise and are they sealed with metal tape? Where do any exhaust fans exhaust? Better be to the exterior and not attic or joist spaces. Water shut offs on all faucets? Grab a hold and shake all plumbing runs. They should not move. Do the same for sewer lines. Ensure a sewer clean out is readily available. Look at floor joists to ensure that none have been notched for plumbing runs. All penetrations should be in the middle of the joist. Ensure that all electrical breakers have been marked to room/appliance served. Ya should have at least 4 available breaker spaces unused. This is a short list.

Foundation drains open or do they dump into a sump? On a septic? If so, where is the drain field and clean out located?

Hopefully ya took photos of the build to locate all wiring and plumbing runs.
took tons of pictures so I feel pretty good about it. I was probably a pain in the ass, I walked through the house every night durning construction, then stopped by the next morning and talked to the builder about stuff I had questions about. That prevented a lot of problems IMO. Good advice on picking up all the crap in the yard before sod.

Thanks guys