PDA

View Full Version : Football Talk About A Tough SOB

blazzin311
10-13-2010, 05:26 PM
Just came across this article and found it interesting....sorry if repost.

No pinky finger, no problem for Virginia Tech's Greg Nosal

Left guard Greg Nosal received a game ball from the Virginia Tech coaching staff following the Hokies 45-21 win over Central Michigan, and usually that means he's available for postgame interviews. Except Nosal was nowhere to be found Saturday and a Virginia Tech official simply said he was getting stitches for an injured finger.

Turns out at some point during the first half, Nosal lost a half inch of his left pinky finger. According to head athletic trainer Mike Goforth, "the tip of his finger was exposed, leaving just the nail and bone there."

Goforth said the finger had gotten lodged between two helmets during the game and somehow the impact tore off a "fat and fleshy" portion of the pinky finger. Nosal, a junior, actually played at least one more snap before noticing his bloodied glove and came to the sideline to consult with Goforth and Dr. Marc Siegel.

For a time, nobody could seem to locate the missing chunk. Goforth had some of his staff searching the field for it before they finally found it inside Nosal's glove. Goforth said Dr. Siegel soon determined the lost tissue could be re-attached and Nosal went to the locker room ahead of all his teammates just before halftime. Once inside, Dr. Siegel presented Nosal with two options: ice the chunk and keep playing or fix it right away.

Nosal wanted to keep playing so Goforth "took the finger, put it on ice and saved it for when it was ready." He then covered up the rest of Nosal's left hand with gauze and dressing and gave him some pain medicine. The 6-foot-6, 293-pound lineman didn't come out of the game until the fourth quarter when the score was 31-7 in Virginia Tech's favor.

"I have seen things like that from a weight room accident," said Goforth, who has been at Virginia Tech for 10 years. "but I’ve never had someone cover it up and just keep playing."

Nosal then received six stitches on the sideline to put the finger back together once he was removed from the game in the fourth quarter. Goforth said the re-attachment went well, but it will still be a few months before the deformed digit actually looks like a finger again.

The training staff is working on a customized hard cast this week so that Nosal can play Saturday against Wake Forest. We'll get a chance to talk to Nosal after practice this evening, but it's safe to say there was a good reason he got that game ball this weekend.

"You talk about a tough guy," Coach Frank Beamer said Monday. "For him to continue to play, it says a lot about him and his effort for this football team."

By Mark Giannotto | October 11, 2010; 1:02 PM ET

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/hokies-journal/2010/10/no_pinky_finger_no_problem_for.html

Man talke about a tough fricken dude. I can't even imagine the pain of that and then to keep playing afterwards. Shiiiit count me out after a damn hang nail let alone losing a damn finger. :spock:

GoHuge
10-13-2010, 05:32 PM
It was only part of a finger you sensationalist! LMAO

BIG_DADDY
10-13-2010, 05:38 PM
How about Ronnie Lott?

blazzin311
10-13-2010, 06:09 PM
It was only part of a finger you sensationalist! LMAO

But still, you try playing with part of your finger missing. I mean that can't not hurt like hell. ;)

blazzin311
10-13-2010, 06:11 PM
How about Ronnie Lott?

I suppose you could throw him into that "Tough SOB" category as well. Hell there's a lot of guys you can throw into that category. It's just not everyday I come across an acticle where the player referred to lost part of his finger and still keeps playing. Mind over matter I guess.

ohiobronco2
10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Didn't Chris Spielman play a season with a torn pec? That's a tough SOB.

Wallcrawler
10-13-2010, 06:58 PM
I remember Brent Jones, TE for the 49ers caught on the sideline in an NFL Films show where his wrist/forearm was hurt and they thought it might be broken.

Steve Young was all "I hope its not broken"

Brent Jones is like "What does that matter?"

Steve "If its broken you cant play."

Brent "F*ck that. Ill just tape it up and play anyway."

Chiefs Rool
10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
it's not Isiah Thomas tough, but it's tough

Lonewolf Ed
10-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Spam? Here? Oh come on, now...

blazzin311
10-13-2010, 08:51 PM
I remember Brent Jones, TE for the 49ers caught on the sideline in an NFL Films show where his wrist/forearm was hurt and they thought it might be broken.

Steve Young was all "I hope its not broken"

Brent Jones is like "What does that matter?"

Steve "If its broken you cant play."

Brent "F*ck that. Ill just tape it up and play anyway."

I can't even imagine that. Got to admire that toughness and determination though be it a bit crazy. :thumb:

Spam? Here? Oh come on, now...

I guess we should have figured it was only a matter of time. :banghead:

Phobia
10-13-2010, 09:26 PM
He then covered up the rest of Nosal's left hand with gauze and dressing and gave him some pain medicine.

Uh. He was feeling no pain at all. They don't just throw them a couple ibuprofen.

ChiefsCountry
10-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Uh. He was feeling no pain at all. They don't just throw them a couple ibuprofen.

The "happy" pills. I remember in high school getting some for my shoulder injury. Felt like I could run through a brick wall.

blazzin311
10-13-2010, 09:30 PM

True that...he was loaded up with all the good pain meds I surmise. He was probably numb to just about anything at that point.

Dave Lane
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I played a half of flag football blocking on the offensive line with a broken bone in my hand, a dislocated shoulder and a cracked rib but I didn't know it was that bad at the time.

cdcox
10-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Thread worthless without pics.

Chief Chief
10-13-2010, 10:01 PM
But still, you try playing with part of your finger missing. I mean that can't not hurt like hell. ;)

Jerry Garcia's played for years without so much as wincing so it jus' cain't be that bad.

RedThat
10-13-2010, 10:08 PM
That is one tough SOB, but I still say one of the best, toughest, and most badest dudes was Jack Youngblood.

Playing on a broken leg is a badass...That dudes toughness I don't think will ever be matched.

Quesadilla Joe
10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
Robert Ayers played the entire game against the Ravens with a broken foot.

Phobia
10-13-2010, 11:00 PM
There are all kinds of breaks on which you can function. It's not like these guys are running around on compound fractures. I like hyperbole as much as the next guy but lets keep it real.

Goldmember
10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
I once saw a knight get his arms and legs cut off and he still wanted to fight.

KCHawg
10-14-2010, 01:19 AM

A flesh wound?

mcan
10-14-2010, 02:00 AM
There are all kinds of breaks on which you can function. It's not like these guys are running around on compound fractures. I like hyperbole as much as the next guy but lets keep it real.

Uhh.. You don't like hyperbole anywhere NEAR as much as I do. Hyperbole is like the best the thing EVER!

blazzin311
10-14-2010, 04:31 AM
I played a half of flag football blocking on the offensive line with a broken bone in my hand, a dislocated shoulder and a cracked rib but I didn't know it was that bad at the time.

Well my hats off to ya then. :clap:

Jerry Garcia's played for years without so much as wincing so it jus' cain't be that bad.

Valid point I suppose.

That is one tough SOB, but I still say one of the best, toughest, and most badest dudes was Jack Youngblood.

Playing on a broken leg is a badass...That dudes toughness I don't think will ever be matched.

Youngblood was a bad MFer there's no doubt about it.

I think I know the guy you're talking about....I don't think I'd want to pick a fight with that dude.

King_Chief_Fan
10-14-2010, 06:21 AM
Uhh.. You don't like hyperbole anywhere NEAR as much as I do. Hyperbole is like the best the thing EVER!

I broke my Hyperbole once.....didn't stop me from doing my job.

MOhillbilly
10-14-2010, 07:43 AM
i played with 2 pins stickin out of my hand and a staff infection up to the point where amputation of my hand became a real possibility.

Goldmember
10-14-2010, 09:27 AM
I broke my Hyperbole once.....didn't stop me from doing my job.

Hyperbole.....such a strange word....and so mispronounced

King_Chief_Fan
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
Hyperbole.....such a strange word....and so mispronounced

exactly

Rain Man
10-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Robert Ayers played the entire game against the Ravens with a broken foot.

Is that true? I thought it was just the announcers saying, "He plays like he's got a broken foot."