PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs notes: First loss sparks even greater motivation

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Chiefs notes: First loss sparks even greater motivation (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/13/2311533/chiefs-notes-first-loss-sparks.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Coach Todd Haley said last Sunday’s loss appeared to motivate the Chiefs to work harder this week before heading to Houston.

“Our goal wasn’t to go undefeated,” Haley said. “This is the biggest game that we all have been in together as a group.”

He added that although Tuesday was a day off for players, many came into the practice facility to watch film or work out. Quarterback Matt Cassel and tight end Tony Moeaki were among those who said they gave up their day off to refocus and correct some mistakes.

“Anytime you can get ahead on your opponent watching film, get a little workout in and a little sweat going, it is good,” Cassel said.

Haley reiterated a familiar psychological ploy this week, saying that the season’s “first quarter” was finished. Although the coach said he was pleased with the Chiefs’ 3-1 record, he added that those games don’t matter much now. .

“Everything is square now. It really is,” Haley said. “The guys looked like they’re ready to start this quarter of the season, and they look like they understand the importance of it.”

O’Callaghan’s full day

Tackle Ryan O’Callaghan was among the full participants at Wednesday’s practice, the first time he practiced fully since injuring his groin Aug. 24. He hasn’t played this year; Barry Richardson has started at right tackle.

The Chiefs need as much as they can get on their offensive line, and they got a reminder last Sunday when Branden Albert suffered a left arm injury. Guard Brian Waters, who had never played tackle, shifted to left tackle while Albert had his arm wrapped and put in a brace. Albert returned, and he practiced with no apparent problems Wednesday.

Third-down emphasis

Cassel said one of the team’s top priorities is improving its third-down percentage, particularly after the Chiefs converted one of 10 third downs against the Colts.

Kansas City’s pass offense struggled in the 19-9 loss, and Cassel completed 16 of 29 passes for 156 yards.

“We didn’t make enough plays,” Cassel said, referring to the inadequacy on third downs. “That’s an area that we have to get better at. … You have to be able to convert and stay on the field, keep the defense off the field and maintain drives.”

The Chiefs have converted 28 percent of their third-down attempts, and they’re ranked 29th in the NFL in that category, better than only Buffalo, Washington and Chicago. That’s despite having the league’s third-ranked rush offense, averaging 148.8 yards per contest.

Injury report

Safety Reshard Langford (ankle) remained on the injured list for the second consecutive week, and punter Dustin Colquitt was held out because of an unspecified illness.

Defensive end Tyson Jackson returned to full participation.

The Texans held eight players out of practice Wednesday, including star defenders Brian Cushing and Mario Williams. Cushing has a knee injury, and Williams has a bad shoulder. Also missing practice were linebackers Kevin Bentley (knee) and DeMeco Ryans (groin), guard Mike Brisiel (knee), wide receivers Dorin Dickerson (knee) and Jacoby Jones (calf) and cornerback Sherrick McManis (hamstring). Linebacker Xavier Adibi (hamstring), safety Dominique Barber (ribs), wide receiver Andre Johnson (ankle) and running back Derrick Ward (ribs) were limited.

RustShack
10-13-2010, 11:38 PM
I like Cassel off the field, but god I hate him on it. Hopefully by some act of god he becomes "Green" or "Gannon"

Buuuut I'm not going to count on it. Croyle Pllzzz

Red Dawg
10-14-2010, 06:54 AM
Everyone like his attitude and he works hard but if you don't have the magic it doesn't matter.

Reerun_KC
10-14-2010, 08:33 AM
I like Cassel off the field, but god I hate him on it. Hopefully by some act of god he becomes "Green" or "Gannon"

ROFL

Keep begging.... but it aint happening... I cant see KC hitching the season on Brokie...

Dartgod
10-14-2010, 09:12 AM
“I didn’t make enough plays,” Cassel said, referring to the inadequacy on third downs. “That’s an area that I have to get better at. …
FYP, Matt...

Just once I 'd like to hear Cassel own up to his inadequacies. I won't mean that he will get better, but it's a step in the right direction.

Reerun_KC
10-14-2010, 09:21 AM
FYP, Matt...

Just once I 'd like to hear Cassel own up to his inadequacies. I won't mean that he will get better, but it's a step in the right direction.

And for once I would like to see Bowe pull his head out of his own ass and help this team...

tiptap
10-14-2010, 09:41 AM
I think the offensive is too wound up. I remember the Pitt/KC game with Green as QB and their long attempt to get a pass downfield that failed but was close enough that the offense took a big sigh of release and went on to roll over Pitt. This offense has a miscue and it increases the pressure and these receivers get more stressed and it affects their play. The SF game saw early success and that let the offense play relaxed. I don't know if there is a comfort zone yet for this offense in passing. Hoping they find some of that this week. Don't over think about what has to be done in the grand scheme, leave that to the coach, and be focused and comfortable in their play.

teedubya
10-14-2010, 10:24 AM
FYP, Matt...

That is EXACTLY how I feel.

Own up to the mistakes Matt... you aren't getting it done.

Inspector
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM
I understand the goal wasn't to go undefeated, but I thought they'd at least have a goal to win every game.

Rain Man
10-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even know Langford was on the team. Has he been active on game days?

El Jefe
10-14-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't even know Langford was on the team. Has he been active on game days?

Yeah, he started against the Colts.

Frankie
10-14-2010, 11:37 AM

Cassel is your prototype average player that might end up a good HC one day. Limited in talent, but in possession of good work habits and perhaps good football understanding.

RustShack
10-14-2010, 11:50 AM
FYP, Matt...

Like Mark Sanchez.

the Talking Can
10-14-2010, 12:07 PM

he leads the team in tackles

HemiEd
10-14-2010, 12:10 PM
FYP, Matt...

Too bad Herm didn't have a chance with this guy, they would have gotten along great.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Too bad Herm didn't have a chance with this guy, they would have gotten along great.

ROFL