PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Teicher: Cassel, Schaub took the same road to becoming NFL starters

Tribal Warfare
10-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Cassel, Schaub took the same road to becoming NFL starters (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/13/2311532/cassel-schaub-took-the-same-road.html)
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs have yet to give any hints that they are dissatisfied with their starting quarterback, Matt Cassel. But if in private moments they’re looking for encouragement that trading for a young, largely untested quarterback can indeed pay dividends, they need to look no further than the opposition in Sunday’s game against the Texans in Houston.

Houston’s Matt Schaub, like Cassel, was once traded from another team where he had no apparent future other than as a backup. Schaub has succeeded to the point that the Texans view him as a franchise quarterback.

“In this league, you’ve got to feel good about that position and you’ve got to have one, or it’s tough to be successful,” Houston coach Gary Kubiak said. “Sometimes you have to make some moves to go get you one, and sometimes you have to take a risk to get one and he may not have played much football. It’s a matter of you doing your homework and believing in what you’re getting, and sometimes they work out and sometimes they don’t.”

So far, at least, Schaub has worked out better for the Texans than Cassel for the Chiefs. Schaub was acquired by Houston in a 2007 trade with Atlanta, which at the time entrusted its future at quarterback to Michael Vick.

Schaub was the AFC’s starting quarterback in the Pro Bowl last season, when he led the NFL in passing yardage.

Cassel had one solid season as the starter in 2008 with New England, where he replaced the injured Tom Brady. He’s still trying to establish himself since coming to the Chiefs in last year’s trade.

Cassel this season has had a few shining moments, the most notable being his 250-yard, three-touchdown game last month against the 49ers. Otherwise, he has one of the league’s worst completion percentages (54.7) despite trying a small number of long passes. The Chiefs have tried fewer passes than all but one other NFL team, making it appear they have little confidence in their passing game.

The main selling point for Cassel has been a relatively low interception rate. He’s been picked off three times.

“We’ve tried to make an effort this offseason that, hey, if something’s not there, let’s throw the ball away and let’s not take sacks and let’s not get ourselves in third-and-long situations,” Cassel said. “It was an emphasis last week and especially versus a team like the Indianapolis Colts with (Dwight) Freeney and (Robert) Mathis. We didn’t want to let them overshadow the game by getting ourselves in situations that were not good for us.”

Coach Todd Haley this week defended Cassel but also acknowledged that he isn’t sure whether the passing game is capable of carrying the Chiefs. That also appears to be at least a partial indictment of Cassel.

“We can be more efficient, but this is an 11-man operation and I am never going to come in here and point fingers or expose people, because I wouldn’t want them doing it to me,” Haley said.

“The quarterback has to be able to take charge of the team, the offense most specifically. He can’t be careless with the football, and he needs to make plays when plays are needed.”

One advantage Schaub has over Cassel is experience. He has an additional season as an NFL starter and, even more important, played a lot in college. Schaub was once the starter for Virginia; Cassel played very little at USC as a backup to Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer.

Kubiak said the Texans traded for Schaub in large part because he liked the quarterback so much when he left Virginia and entered the NFL draft.

Despite that Cassel had such a small college record, New England took a flier on him in 2005, drafting him in the seventh round.

“He hadn’t played a whole lot because of the situation at USC, but when he worked out for people, I know all the workouts were very impressive,” Kubiak said. “That’s what everybody in the league was going off of. The interview process was extremely impressive. The size, the arm. Everybody was betting on the come.

“I’ve drafted guys before that didn’t play much in college. I drafted a running back out of Georgia (Terrell Davis while he was with Denver) that ended up being pretty good that I think played three games as a senior. You’re always evaluating people from how they fit into what you do and what you expect them to be as a pro. There are a lot of kids in college that are very successful and do a lot of good things that don’t get drafted or end up in the bottom of the draft.”

The Chiefs would like Cassel to be what Schaub is for the Texans, the player who ends all public disputes about the future at quarterback. Since the Chiefs appear determined to stick with Cassel, there’s still time for that.

“There’s definitely similarities there,” Schaub said. “I’m not sure if I hadn’t played in college and then gone on to Atlanta and not playing there, that’s a long time (not) to be an everyday, full-time starter. That’s a tough task to take on. (Cassel’s) been able to accomplish that really well.”

RustShack
10-13-2010, 11:40 PM
So your saying we need to get Andre Johnson on our team and Cassel can be a "star"

LETS DO THIS!!! If we don't draft a QB first this year(Ohh how I long for this[assuming a good one is there]) We damn better draft an elite #1 receiver !!!!!!!!!!!!

RealSNR
10-13-2010, 11:41 PM
Schaub actually played games at QB in college and made his initial successes throwing to Brian fucking Finneran. Cassel threw short passes to Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

RustShack
10-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Schaub actually played games at QB in college and made his initial successes throwing to Brian fucking Finneran. Cassel threw short passes to Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

Except Cassel didn't throw good balls, they just made great catches.

DBOSHO
10-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Cassel will never sniff shaub.

Hammock Parties
10-13-2010, 11:47 PM
And then Cassel was raped by a hobo.

RealSNR
10-14-2010, 01:17 AM
Cassel will never sniff shaub.Or Schaub's schaub

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-14-2010, 02:27 AM
I didn't realize Matt Schaub was a third string TE in college.

the Talking Can
10-14-2010, 05:01 AM
here's what $63 mill buys:

Otherwise, he has one of the league’s worst completion percentages (54.7) despite trying a small number of long passes. The Chiefs have tried fewer passes than all but one other NFL team

Tribal Warfare
10-14-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm going to be honest, I knew Cassel's confidence was shot after the last 8 games last year when everyone on the offense progressed except him and with that said I'm surprised he's regressing this fast with seemingly no pressure in losing his job as a starter this season.

Rooster
10-14-2010, 06:43 AM

ROFL That mental image is actually really funny.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-14-2010, 07:08 AM
Schaub actually played games at QB in college and made his initial successes throwing to Brian ****ing Finneran. Cassel threw short passes to Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

Believe it or not, the way he handled his college career is one of the most endearing things about him for coaches.

See, he could have easily transferred to a different school and started. To deny this would be ridiculous. He is a big tall, athletic guy with a good arm. A great arm for college standards.

But, he was a member of the team, and as such, he didn't transfer. He did what he could to help USC win. He didn't gripe, he didn't complain. He just pitched in and helped.

That's one of the reasons he is a Chief. Pioli knew that this was the kind of guy that will just do what he is told to do and sacrifice anything necessary for the team.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2010, 07:12 AM
Believe it or not, the way he handled his college career is one of the most endearing things about him for coaches.

See, he could have easily transferred to a different school and started. To deny this would be ridiculous. He is a big tall, athletic guy with a good arm. A great arm for college standards.

But, he was a member of the team, and as such, he didn't transfer. He did what he could to help USC win. He didn't gripe, he didn't complain. He just pitched in and helped.

That's one of the reasons he is a Chief. Pioli knew that this was the kind of guy that will just do what he is told to do and sacrifice anything necessary for the team.

Cassel seems like a decent guy, The kind you would let your daughter marry, etc......I dont want him QB'ing my team.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-14-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm going to be honest, I knew Cassel's confidence was shot after the last 8 games last year when everyone on the offense progressed except him and with that said I'm surprised he's regressing this fast with seemingly no pressure in losing his job as a starter this season.

How is he regressing? Seriously.

I mean, he hasn't gotten any worse. So, I don't know how you could possibly say he is regressing.

His first game, he threw for 68 yards. In his second game, he threw for 176. In his third game, he threw for 250 with a 111.7 passer rating.

In the fourth game, had Bowe caught the easy TD pass, he finishes with a 95 passer rating.

He isn't great, but I certainly don't think he is getting any worse.

This word.... I do not think it means, what you think it means.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Cassel seems like a decent guy, The kind you would let your daughter marry, etc......I dont want him QB'ing my team.

I guess that is why I root for him. I mean, I don't really think he can do it.... but I have immense hope that he can.

I mean, don't get me wrong....it's not just because he is a nice guy. It is also because he is a Chief, and I really don't think they will get rid of him after this season unless it is a disaster. And, the defense and special teams are too good for this team to become a disaster.

I think the approach next year will be to get Cassel a true #1 WR.

Tribal Warfare
10-14-2010, 07:19 AM

The coaching staff is showing less confidence in the passing game in comparison to last year with the play calling, Cassel looks absolutely scared shitless in the pocket, and his progressions are becoming more remedial in contrast from last year.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2010, 07:45 AM
I guess that is why I root for him. I mean, I don't really think he can do it.... but I have immense hope that he can.

I mean, don't get me wrong....it's not just because he is a nice guy. It is also because he is a Chief, and I really don't think they will get rid of him after this season unless it is a disaster. And, the defense and special teams are too good for this team to become a disaster.

I think the approach next year will be to get Cassel a true #1 WR.

I want talented guys on my team that can help them win. I honestly dont care much about character. its not like im ever going to be hanging out and having beers with these guys.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-14-2010, 10:04 AM
The coaching staff is showing less confidence in the passing game in comparison to last year with the play calling, Cassel looks absolutely scared shitless in the pocket, and his progressions are becoming more remedial in contrast from last year.

The passing game is often out of necessity. Last year, the defense sucked. Last year, until JC came on, the running game sucked.

So, this year, the Chiefs have a great running game. The Chiefs have a good defense. They aren't going to open the passing attack.... is it Cassel? Maybe, but look at the guys around him.

The offensive line looks good right now because they aren't asked to protect much. The Chiefs are doing what they are good at. And, that is running the ball and short passing.

The WR's, despite their proficiency as blockers, don't get great separation and as we have seen, drop easy passes. Our #1 WR dropped an easy TD pass at Indy that would have given the Chiefs the lead. Not a lot to instill confidence in the passing game. Our most reliable pass catcher is a rookie TE.

Anyways, the Chiefs have not been down enough to force them to throw the ball. Until last week, the most they had been down other than the start of the Chargers game was four points.

I just don't think Cassel is regressing at all. I see a lot more awareness and throwing the ball away. He is doing a great job cutting down on negative plays. And, that is what he is being asked to do.

Do I like it? Not really. I feel like the Chiefs need to take the handcuffs off and let him prove himself. That said, I am sure they feel like there will be time for that at some point in the season. They are trying to develop Cassel, but not at the expense of winning games.

JMO.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-14-2010, 10:08 AM
I want talented guys on my team that can help them win. I honestly dont care much about character. its not like im ever going to be hanging out and having beers with these guys.

I think you will be hard pressed to win a bunch with guys that don't have quality character. Especially over long periods of time.

You look at the guys who have won Super Bowls recently. Guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner.

All have tremendous character.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I think you will be hard pressed to win a bunch with guys that don't have quality character. Especially over long periods of time.

You look at the guys who have won Super Bowls recently. Guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Kurt Warner.

All have tremendous character.

I noticed u left out Roethlisberger..
Posted via Mobile Device

Tribal Warfare
10-14-2010, 03:34 PM
So, this year, the Chiefs have a great running game. The Chiefs have a good defense. They aren't going to open the passing attack.... is it Cassel? Maybe, but look at the guys around him.

No, no, no, NO..... don't even use that excuse the 2010 draft was geared to help Cassel he has zero excuses for his lack of production.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2010, 05:28 PM

That's one of the reasons he is a Chief. Pioli knew that this was the kind of guy that will just do what he is told to do and sacrifice anything necessary for the team.Good. So if they bench him, he wont be a bitch about it and be a distraction.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2010, 05:31 PM

:facepalm: LMAO

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2010, 05:34 PM

I hope he can, too. But I'm not gonna post stupid shit on here like you do in support of him. He's a shit QB. No matter how you slice it. Doesnt matter how much we hope he can be 'the guy'.

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I think the approach next year will be to get Cassel the fuck outta here.FYP

BigMeatballDave
10-14-2010, 05:39 PM
The passing game is often out of necessity. Last year, the defense sucked. Last year, until JC came on, the running game sucked.

The offensive line looks good right now because they aren't asked to protect much. The Chiefs are doing what they are good at. And, that is running the ball and short passing.

The WR's, despite their proficiency as blockers, don't get great separation and as we have seen, drop easy passes. Our #1 WR dropped an easy TD pass at Indy that would have given the Chiefs the lead. Not a lot to instill confidence in the passing game. Our most reliable pass catcher is a rookie TE.

Anyways, the Chiefs have not been down enough to force them to throw the ball. Until last week, the most they had been down other than the start of the Chargers game was four points.

I just don't think Cassel is regressing at all. I see a lot more awareness and throwing the ball away. He is doing a great job cutting down on negative plays. And, that is what he is being asked to do.

Do I like it? Not really. I feel like the Chiefs need to take the handcuffs off and let him prove himself. That said, I am sure they feel like there will be time for that at some point in the season. They are trying to develop Cassel, but not at the expense of winning games.

JMO.This is what pisses people off. Developing a 28 yo QB? :doh!:

Barret
10-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Look at the guys around him? How much better do you want??? How many Sacks did the Oline give up to Freeney and company last week? The WR can't get separation if they are all running 5 yard routes so Limp Arm can throw the ball to them. ALL the WR's are going to be covered by 3 people when the defense is all crowding the line.

The defenses will always play tight and try to take away the run and the short pass. So, yea, the great blocking can open up a lane for a runner to get through but you can't have WR's blocking so other WR's can get open in a pass route.

But, lets humor you for a second and say we need more good players to help poor Matty out. So what do we need? 2 WR's and 2 to 3 O-line? Would that work?

So tell me which free agent WR that will be available next year wants to come to KC to catch balls thrown from Matt Cassel? Hmmm...lets see the upside... I can go to KC and be a part of a short passing game and get thrown to by a QB that I will have to make circus catches and be covered by 2 to 3 people most of the time. When I do make that circus catch I will be hung out to dry as the safety comes over and lays the smackdown since my QB cant throw the damn ball and exposes me to a monster hit. Oh sure they will line up for that action.

Don't get me started on drafting all those positions when you can draft 1 QB and fix the entire issue that is going on.

When your Liver stops working from too much drinking, they don't go in and replace all the other decent organs and say "well your liver should be a lot better now since it is getting more blood flow from the heart" You go in and replace the faulty Liver.

Marcellus
10-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I noticed u left out Roethlisberger..
Posted via Mobile Device

I forget, has he been tried let alone convicted of anything? Wait, has he ever been charged with anything?

MadMax
10-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Look at the guys around him? How much better do you want??? How many Sacks did the Oline give up to Freeney and company last week? The WR can't get separation if they are all running 5 yard routes so Limp Arm can throw the ball to them. ALL the WR's are going to be covered by 3 people when the defense is all crowding the line.

The defenses will always play tight and try to take away the run and the short pass. So, yea, the great blocking can open up a lane for a runner to get through but you can't have WR's blocking so other WR's can get open in a pass route.

But, lets humor you for a second and say we need more good players to help poor Matty out. So what do we need? 2 WR's and 2 to 3 O-line? Would that work?

So tell me which free agent WR that will be available next year wants to come to KC to catch balls thrown from Matt Cassel? Hmmm...lets see the upside... I can go to KC and be a part of a short passing game and get thrown to by a QB that I will have to make circus catches and be covered by 2 to 3 people most of the time. When I do make that circus catch I will be hung out to dry as the safety comes over and lays the smackdown since my QB cant throw the damn ball and exposes me to a monster hit. Oh sure they will line up for that action.

Don't get me started on drafting all those positions when you can draft 1 QB and fix the entire issue that is going on.

When your Liver stops working from too much drinking, they don't go in and replace all the other decent organs and say "well your liver should be a lot better now since it is getting more blood flow from the heart" You go in and replace the faulty Liver.

ROFL!!! Spankage He wont get it ;)

MadMax
10-14-2010, 06:30 PM

I mean, he hasn't gotten any worse. So, I don't know how you could possibly say he is regressing.

His first game, he threw for 68 yards. In his second game, he threw for 176. In his third game, he threw for 250 with a 111.7 passer rating.

In the fourth game, had Bowe caught the easy TD pass, he finishes with a 95 passer rating.

He isn't great, but I certainly don't think he is getting any worse.

This word.... I do not think it means, what you think it means.

You are hurtin dude. Seriously!!!

Hammock Parties
10-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Sensible does have a point that Cassel has improved. It's pretty tough to gauge his progress in a road game at Indy where the passing game is scaled back.

He needs to have a killer game this weekend, though.

Deberg_1990
10-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I forget, has he been tried let alone convicted of anything? Wait, has he ever been charged with anything?

I was making the point to him that you dont always need high character guys to win.

the Talking Can
10-14-2010, 06:57 PM
where is this 'Cassel has improved' nonsense coming from?

that he's ranked 27th instead of 30th in damn near every category, is that what you're talking about?

is it his pass completion percentage...which is worse than last year?

is it his pass yards per game...which is worse than last year?

is it the fact that with a better OL, better running game, superbowl OC, and Board Certified PLAYMAKERS gained through the draft his production is worse than last year?

what kind of drugs are you guys taking?

Cassel is literally, by most every category, one the worst QBs in the league..just like last year

Hammock Parties
10-14-2010, 07:00 PM
He's talking about since Week 1.

Technically, he's right.

the Talking Can
10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
He's talking about since Week 1.

Technically, he's right.

ROFL

sorry, i didn't realize we were selectively appraising our QB

so, even though he is worse than last year, it's ok because he's better than 9 hours ago.....brilliant

Deberg_1990
10-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Im amazed that Cassel's completion pct. is still so low considering 95% of his throws are under 15 yards. Some of that is his WR's still dropping balls though...

Hammock Parties
10-14-2010, 07:08 PM
ROFL

sorry, i didn't realize we were selectively appraising our QB

so, even though he is worse than last year, it's ok because he's better than 9 hours ago.....brilliant

I wouldn't say he's worse than last year. Statistically, he's about the same, but we're talking about a four game sample.

I'm no Cassel fan, but if you can't recognize that he played well in the second half against Cleveland and against the 49ers, you kind of lose credibility. You come off as someone who wants to hate Cassel no matter what the truth is.

the Talking Can
10-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't say he's worse than last year. Statistically, he's about the same, but we're talking about a four game sample.

I'm no Cassel fan, but if you can't recognize that he played well in the second half against Cleveland and against the 49ers, you kind of lose credibility. You come off as someone who wants to hate Cassel no matter what the truth is.

nah, the guy who ran around screaming that anyone who thought Cassel was a bad QB was 'not a fan'...you..has no credibility on the subject

you're a fan boy

and the stats are actually clear that he is less productive than last year...while every position on the team around him is better...

his accuracy is worse than ever....just a fact....

Hammock Parties
10-14-2010, 07:18 PM
nah, the guy who ran around screaming that anyone who thought Cassel was a bad QB was 'not a fan'...you..has no credibility on the subject

you're a fan boy

I don't know what you're talking about. I've been riding Cassel as hard as anyone since the San Diego game last year.

That doesn't mean I can't recognize when he plays solid football and contributes to a win. He's done that twice this year.

RealSNR
10-14-2010, 08:07 PM
Im amazed that Cassel's completion pct. is still so low considering 95% of his throws are under 15 yards. Some of that is his WR's still dropping balls though...Most of those under 15 yard passes are drops because they're so fucking poorly thrown. Either behind the receiver, too high, or my personal favorite, the dead duck throw that bounces on the ground 5 yards in front of the receiver

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-14-2010, 08:14 PM

ROFLROFLROFL I love left-field shots, and that one was great.

So...he's a fantastic backup. NEVER would have guessed that.

MadMax
10-14-2010, 08:38 PM

you're a fan boy

and the stats are actually clear that he is less productive than last year...while every position on the team around him is better...

his accuracy is worse than ever....just a fact....

You have to look back at his fanboism of Huard, O h dear God I long for Huard now!!! LOL!

MadMax
10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
ROFLROFLROFL I love left-field shots, and that one was great.

So...he's a fantastic backup. NEVER would have guessed that.

I never raped him.. I did however sodomize him. :)

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-14-2010, 08:41 PM
I never raped him.. I did however sodomize him. :)

ROFL Down by the river?

RustShack
10-14-2010, 08:51 PM
I will admit Cassel actually looked pretty decent to start last year. I mean not in one game did he look as good as Croyle did the first game... but he didn't look bad. But he slowly started to get worse, then Charles and Chambers emerged and the entire offense looked better.. except for Cassel.. who got worse as the rest of the offense got better.

There is no possible way you can say you watched all 16 games last year and that Cassel didn't regress.

Fish
10-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Sensible does have a point that Cassel has improved. It's pretty tough to gauge his progress in a road game at Indy where the passing game is scaled back.

He needs to have a killer game this weekend, though.

I don't think it's really that tough to gauge, when the entire reason the passing game is scaled back is because the QB can't handle anything different.

Let's all hope he does have a killer game this weekend....

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Maybe it's time for the "Sanchez Flash Cards"; somebody give Rex a call.