PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Input needed regarding restaurant webpages...

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 12:27 PM
What are the most important things you look for when you go to a webpage for a restaurant?

I will start with what I think and you guys let me know if I am way off base here....

MUST HAVES
Basic info (hours, phone number, address)
Map (with link to google maps)
Menu

NICE TO HAVES
Photos of food
Photos of interior
Reviews
Description/About Us Section
Daily Specials/Events

Am I missing anything? Is anything I have listed not at ALL useful? What say ye?

Dante84
10-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Those are good...

What ya got goin on?

Donger
10-14-2010, 12:31 PM
Prices on the menu.

DMAC
10-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Make sausage burgers.

Just give me a cut for the idea.

Donger
10-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Whether or not there's take away.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
I'd throw in photos of the exterior as well if it's a good location. It's also a great way for people to see landmarks around the business so they know what they're looking for in order to get there for the first time.

I also think it's critical to include photos of your best dishes (really, all the dishes) included on the menu page. Another big pet peeve of mine is menus that don't include pricing. I'd make sure to include that.

In the description/about us page I would include information on the chef if it's a higher quality restaurant. Foodies love that I would think. Other than that, I think you're on the right track.

Mr. Laz
10-14-2010, 12:35 PM
simple and easy to find information

so many websites load up with so much crap that it's hard to find the needed information through all the dancing monkeys and farting bunnies.

Menu should be as detailed as possible

That's the main reason to go, right?! Good food. So put photos of the dishes with the nutritional info, dish options etc ... as if you were trying to sell the food online.

:shrug:

DMAC
10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Girls in bikinis

Mr. Flopnuts
10-14-2010, 12:40 PM
Laz is spot on with the nutritional info as long as it's not a greasy spoon.

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 12:41 PM
Prices on the menu.

Prices on the menu is tough... for the restaurant it can be a real pain since prices can change on certain items rather frequently... I agree though that as a consumer, I like to see prices...

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 12:42 PM
simple and easy to find information

so many websites load up with so much crap that it's hard to find the needed information through all the dancing monkeys and farting bunnies.

Menu should be as detailed as possible

That's the main reason to go, right?! Good food. So put photos of the dishes with the nutritional info, dish options etc ... as if you were trying to sell the food online.

:shrug:

Keeping it simple and functional is definitely a high priority...

I like the idea of nutritional info.. but I wonder how many restaurants actually have that... it's a DAMN good idea though...

DMAC
10-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Allowing the customer to rate the menu item right there on the menu. And possibly leave comments.

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 12:44 PM
I'd throw in photos of the exterior as well if it's a good location. It's also a great way for people to see landmarks around the business so they know what they're looking for in order to get there for the first time.

I also think it's critical to include photos of your best dishes (really, all the dishes) included on the menu page. Another big pet peeve of mine is menus that don't include pricing. I'd make sure to include that.

In the description/about us page I would include information on the chef if it's a higher quality restaurant. Foodies love that I would think. Other than that, I think you're on the right track.

Great feedback...I agree on the exterior shots... helps immensely when it comes to finding the spot.

sedated
I like the idea of nutritional info.. but I wonder how many restaurants actually have that... it's a DAMN good idea though...

a lot of them have it, but bury it somewhere, just so when you walk into the place they can say "its on our website" (i.e., "its too late, shut up and eat fatty")

AustinChief
Allowing the customer to rate the menu item right there on the menu. And possibly leave comments.

oh wow... great idea... menu item individual reviews.... that is brilliant!

ElGringo
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Personally, as someone who pretty much sticks to the same food all the time, I would enjoy seeing what is either in the food or comes with the food. Just know sometimes someone will tell me the name of something, I will be totally for eating it, then learn what it really is, what is in it, or what comes with it, and I will just throw the money away cause I won't eat it.

ModSocks
10-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Regarding the photos: Use good sized photos. No one likes staring at thumbnails trying to figure out what is on the plate.

loochy
10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Try to have some photos of the type of people that frequent the restaurant...like pictures of people sitting down and eating, smiling, etc. It will show how casual/not casual to dress when you go there and so forth.

DMAC
10-14-2010, 12:49 PM
oh wow... great idea... menu item individual reviews.... that is brilliant!Maybe stick a couple of good reviews on there yourself to get the ball rolling. ;)

RustShack
10-14-2010, 01:01 PM
coupons

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 01:06 PM
OK, what I am getting from this is that MENU and menu related info is BY FAR the most important... (kinda obvious when ya think about it)

What I am thinking is this... what about a page with a standard looking menu like you would find at the restaurant BUT when you mouse over an item a popup appears with a high res photo of the item, detailed description and links to user reviews and nutritional info...

I am trying to work a way that all of the information is easily accessed without making a clusterfrack out of the page...

mlyonsd
10-14-2010, 01:10 PM
OK, what I am getting from this is that MENU and menu related info is BY FAR the most important... (kinda obvious when ya think about it)

What I am thinking is this... what about a page with a standard looking menu like you would find at the restaurant BUT when you mouse over an item a popup appears with a high res photo of the item, detailed description and links to user reviews and nutritional info...

I am trying to work a way that all of the information is easily accessed without making a clusterfrack out of the page...

Menus can change quickly so if you can change the page easily I like it.

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Menus can change quickly so if you can change the page easily I like it.

Yeah, the idea is that it would ALL be database driven and editable through an online backend.

mlyonsd
10-14-2010, 01:16 PM
Yeah, the idea is that it would ALL be database driven and editable through an online backend.

Sweet.

Alton deFlat
10-14-2010, 02:17 PM
For me, pictures of the food isn't such a big thing. I like menus that are in PDF format, so that I can print them if I want to.

Eventually, maybe a link for patrons to make a reservation from your website, like this restaurant there in Austin http://www.manuels.com/.... which was excellent BTW.

Dante84
10-14-2010, 02:20 PM

Sounds like what I do......

tooge
10-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I've always thought some sort of coupon on the website is nice. If you do it right, it costs you nothing and brings more people in. Even upscale places offer them for appetizers etc. Like half off appetizer with order of entree etc.

Dante84
10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
AC, message me and we can chat if ya wanna

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 02:46 PM
For me, pictures of the food isn't such a big thing. I like menus that are in PDF format, so that I can print them if I want to.

Eventually, maybe a link for patrons to make a reservation from your website, like this restaurant there in Austin http://www.manuels.com/.... which was excellent BTW.

I like the idea of PDF printable menus as an option.. I would want that as a separate link though... how does that sound?

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I've always thought some sort of coupon on the website is nice. If you do it right, it costs you nothing and brings more people in. Even upscale places offer them for appetizers etc. Like half off appetizer with order of entree etc.

Coupons gets a bit trickier, but I will think on it.

Otter
10-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Seems like you have all of the bases covered. The only thing I could think of which may benefit is a picture of the staff. Walking into a fancy, new dining establishment could be intimidating for some people. Seeing who you'll be dealing with and them standing there with a nice big smile inside the building could help ease any apathy they may encounter.

Pretty much fluff of course but that's about all I could think of.

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Ok guys keep the ideas coming! These are great so far.. I am working on a rough implementation now and as soon as I have something to show I will post it and you can rip it apart!

Based on your input so far, I think we have a pretty good concept to start with.

Stewie
10-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Menu. I wouldn't add pics. Do you know how many times the food I'm served didn't look at all like the pic? The pic is ALWAYS a grandiose interpretation... probably using plastic food for the glam shot. Hell, look at a Subway commercial. Reality says no Subway flunky could ever build a masterpiece like they show on TV.

Alton deFlat
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
I like the idea of PDF printable menus as an option.. I would want that as a separate link though... how does that sound?

Oh yea, that sounds fine.

Fish
10-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Try to have some photos of the type of people that frequent the restaurant...like pictures of people sitting down and eating, smiling, etc. It will show how casual/not casual to dress when you go there and so forth.

I'd second this recommendation. If you have some regulars that are eccentric and interesting, include that. That can be a big indicator as to whether it's your type of joint or not.

Also, if there are any bars sports(pool, darts, foos) there, be sure and list that. That will definitely bring in someone like me.

Fish
10-14-2010, 02:57 PM
And dancing hamsters...

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 02:58 PM
I'd second this recommendation. If you have some regulars that are eccentric and interesting, include that. That can be a big indicator as to whether it's your type of joint or not.

Also, if there are any bars sports(pool, darts, foos) there, be sure and list that. That will definitely bring in someone like me.

I do this for the BAR templates but not so much for restaurants... for now I think I will leave off staff pics simply sue to space issues with the restaurant templates.. that may change

Mr. Laz
10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
it's irritating when sites make you follow a little trail of links to fine info too.

so i would embed as few links as possible imo

Front page: Name,Big feature picture etc and with a link sidebar w/direct links to specific info

links:

menu and nutritional info
maps and location
coupons
Party/Special events
contact us

etc,etc

simple and direct

cdcox
10-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Photos of diners so I have an idea how to dress.

An idea of the noise level.

Zagat rating.

Chiefnj2
10-14-2010, 03:23 PM
- Menu with prices/Wine list
- Information page - address, map, hours, telephone number, reservation info, online reservation system is a plus, whether they cater to parties and the number of people.

That's it. Avoid pictures of the food.

Consistent1
10-14-2010, 03:34 PM
People being able to post reviews of food is not an idea that as an owner I would allow on my site regardless of how confident I was of the quality.

bevischief
10-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Online ordering.

MOhillbilly
10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
menu with prices.

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 04:15 PM
People being able to post reviews of food is not an idea that as an owner I would allow on my site regardless of how confident I was of the quality.

yeah it certainly is a double edged sword...

vailpass
10-14-2010, 04:26 PM
*Is there a bar?
*Smoking patio?
* Valet available? (parking-intensive areas i.e. Scottsdale this matters)

Rausch
10-14-2010, 05:02 PM
menu with prices.

This.

Ralphy Boy
10-14-2010, 05:13 PM
So I'm lost; do you have a restaurant or just design websites for restaurants? Is that all of the web design you do? If you've designed some in the past, give us the site names and we can tell you what we do or don't like about those sites.

AustinChief
10-14-2010, 05:19 PM
So I'm lost; do you have a restaurant or just design websites for restaurants? Is that all of the web design you do? If you've designed some in the past, give us the site names and we can tell you what we do or don't like about those sites.

I do not own a restaurant nor do I do straight website design of any kind... once I have something to show, I will post it here...

teedubya
10-14-2010, 05:41 PM
if it has multiple locations, set each page on its own page, for Local SEO purposes. Also, make sure to claim the local listings on Google Places, Bing Local and yahoo local.

And develop a customer review strategy for each location. The restaurant with the most reviews, wins... and don't employ people to create fake reviews. Huge no no.

I spoke in front of over 100 people Tuesday at the Integrated Marketing Conference in KC... talking about local search strategies.