PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: Glenn Dorsey’s discipline has the Chiefs excited about his future

Tribal Warfare
10-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Glenn Dorsey’s discipline has the Chiefs excited about his future (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/14/2315807/glenn-dorseys-discipline-has-the.html)
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

They tried to make him understand with humiliation. Then excruciating work. The Chiefs just needed Glenn Dorsey to accept that success begins with discipline.

Those afternoons seem distant now, when Dorsey pedaled and hiked and lugged equipment because he hadn’t been disciplined enough to practice. That was training camp in 2009, and at the time, the Chiefs were uncertain about the future of Dorsey, one of their most talented defenders.

But however it happened, he had to understand: Dorsey’s future was a cloudy one if he couldn’t learn restraint.

On this defense, that’s where it starts. And it doesn’t end at junk food.

More than a year later, Dorsey has made an early impression because of what he hasn’t done. He wasn’t drastically overweight when he began the offseason workout program. He didn’t rely only on his instincts. He didn’t abandon his assignments and chase big plays.

He finally understood.

“You realized, ‘Hey, we look a lot different without him,’ ” coach Todd Haley said.

Haley said he emphasizes discipline more than anything. Because if a player can’t be trusted to stay in shape each offseason, how could he be counted on to stay committed to an assignment that gives the big plays to someone else?

Through four games, Dorsey has 15 tackles, half a sack and zero forced turnovers. Those aren’t the kinds of numbers the Chiefs had in mind when they drafted him fifth overall in 2008. But regardless, Dorsey has been one of Kansas City’s best defenders this season. His job as a defensive end in this 3-4 scheme is to fill gaps, allow linebackers to attack and, as Haley said Thursday, “fight the urge to go make a play.”

When the Chiefs’ defense is at its best, Dorsey is passing up chances at a tackle to fill a predetermined space on the field.

It’s an odd thing, and more than a year after the Chiefs abandoned Dorsey’s preferred 4-3, he appears to have embraced his role — and, more than that, his requirements. Dorsey wasn’t in the Chiefs’ locker room Thursday when reporters were permitted inside, but Tyson Jackson knows how difficult it is for Dorsey, one of the most explosive defenders in college football three seasons ago, to pass up big opportunities.

“Your basic instincts tell you you’re a football player; you want to go out there and make as many plays as possible and help the team win,” said Jackson, who played with Dorsey at LSU. “But you’ve got to look at the bigger scheme of things.

“You’ve just got to take the pride and put it to the side for the team.”

The good thing for the Chiefs is that they believe Dorsey can further improve and perhaps emerge into a defensive playmaker — one of those players with the big numbers. When he played defensive tackle in Herm Edwards’ 4-3, Dorsey was a rotund wrecking ball designed to go forward and hit what was in front of him.

Now, at about 30 pounds lighter and much quicker, Dorsey can go in multiple directions — and coaches think that, as he gets more comfortable with his weight, he can combine those old instincts and his new speed to be a disruptive force on an emerging defense. The Chiefs have used Dorsey occasionally this season in sub-rush formations, and those chances could increase in the future.

For now, Dorsey still has to prove himself weekly. That’s the life of a football player, but the Chiefs pay close attention when Dorsey makes weight each week, a signal that the discipline is becoming ingrained.

“He wants to be good,” Haley said, “and I think he’s showing signs of that all the time.”

More, he has shown a willingness to do what’s necessary to be good in this system. It no longer matters how the Chiefs forced Dorsey to embrace discipline as his top priority; all that matters is that he’s done it, and he is discussed among Chiefs insiders as one of the team’s future stars, alongside linebacker Tamba Hali and cornerback Brandon Flowers.

Now Dorsey has to continue improving, continue understanding and continue avoiding temptation.

“It’s not going to happen overnight because those instincts are there,” Haley said. “They’ve been developed over years, and you’ve got to almost retrain your habits.

“He’s a much more disciplined player. Much more disciplined person.”

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-14-2010, 11:08 PM
As well as he played this year, it still makes me sad to think what he could do in a 4-3 as a penetrating 3 technique at his current weight.

Mr. Flopnuts
Considering the guy is not built for a 3-4, he is really showing why the Chiefs drafted him at 5. If we were still in a 4-3 I have no doubt the guy would be looking at monster stats this year.

FD
God, Herm Edwards was shitty fucking coach.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Considering the guy is not built for a 3-4, he is really showing why the Chiefs drafted him at 5. If we were still in a 4-3 I have no doubt the guy would be looking at monster stats this year.

To be perfectly honest, given how Hali has played this year, I think he'd be a pretty good RDE, even if he has lost some weight.

RDE: Hali
3T: Dorsey
NT: Smith/Edwards
LDE: Jackson

On passing downs, you could bring in Gilberry or Magee to play the nose. Put Williams at WLB, and DJ or Belcher could man either MLB or SLB.

Hammock Parties
10-14-2010, 11:13 PM
The dude is getting insane penetration this year. Next to Hali's sack, the way he crushed Addai in the backfield was the signature play of our defensive domination last week.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-15-2010, 06:08 AM
They should name a candy bar or something after him

TheGuardian
10-15-2010, 06:57 AM
As well as he played this year, it still makes me sad to think what he could do in a 4-3 as a penetrating 3 technique at his current weight.

:facepalm:

That didn't take long.

We've been down this road before Hamas. That's not what he is good at. That is not what he did at LSU. He is not a natural pass rusher and never was.

Deberg_1990
10-15-2010, 07:15 AM
He is not a natural pass rusher and never was.

Well, thats not what they sold him as when he was drafted. Most everyone was comparing him to Warren Sapp.

IM happy hes playing well now though....water under the bridge.

Chief Henry
10-15-2010, 07:43 AM
Its so refreshing to read positve news about our defense and one of our young drafted players.

TheGuardian
10-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Well, thats not what they sold him as when he was drafted. Most everyone was comparing him to Warren Sapp.

IM happy hes playing well now though....water under the bridge.

I have NEVER understood the Sapp comparisons. EVer.

That's why people keep saying this shit though. The only reason for the Sapp comparisons is because their size was similar. And that is where the comparisons end. Dorsey was a two gapper at LSU and did a lot of read and react and gap control. He did have a lot of tackles for losses but if you watched games it's because he was great at read and react and holding his ground THEN getting to the ball carrier. Not because he was busting ass up field play after play.

Dorsey has never had good hands, where Sapp did from day 1. Dorsey still doesn't transition well in terms of pass rushing when I watch him. People will say shit like he's more suited to a 4-3 but he's really not a 1 gap guy. The reason he looked better last year, and even better this year is because he's being asked to do something more similar to what he did in college. If he were in that gap and a half scheme like the Giants ran a few years ago when Cornelius Griffin and Strahan was there, he would excel in that too. But he is NOT a Warren Sapp or a "get up the field" penetrator type player. That has never been his strong suit EVER. If anyone watched him at LSU they would know that, because that is NOT what he did.

Pass rushing can be taught but it's actually a pretty natural gift for the best guys, and Dorsey is not great at it nor will he ever be. He will be a guy that beats his guy to get to the ball carrier a lot, but he's never going to collect a lot of sacks, no matter what scheme he's in. He's in a great scheme for his abilities right now, which is why he has looked like a beast a lot of weeks. Hamas just cant' get this through his head, nor can other people who bought into the bullshit Sapp comparisons.

Rausch
10-15-2010, 09:39 AM
The dude is getting insane penetration this year. Next to Hali's sack, the way he crushed Addai in the backfield was the signature play of our defensive domination last week.

This.

If he ever reaches his potential he could be the best 3-4 DE in history.

Period.

And so far, this year, he's been great. It's not in his nature to be a "passive playmaker" (absorb blocks and wait for the play to come to him) but that's exactly what he's doing.

Despite his 4-3 DT pass rusher tag (OMG TEH NEXT SAPP!1!) he's been the 2nd best (behind only Hali) at transitioning to the Pats 3-4.

He's been HUGE in the running game and he's starting to get his feel for what's expeted.

If we had a legit NT this defense would jump 10 spots in yards allowed...

wasi
10-15-2010, 09:56 AM
I know there is an interview with Dorsey from either TC or preseason this season saying he likes the techniques and played them in college.

58kcfan89
10-15-2010, 10:43 AM
I friggin' love Dorsey and he's been one of my favorites ever since he fell to us at #5. Glad to see he's finally realizing some of that potential. And what's scary is that he should continue to improve...by a lot.

Gawd, it's fun to actually see results from all those shitty seasons. Hopefully when he comes back, Jackson can continue to play well. I certainly don't expect him to ever match the #3 overall pick, but if he plays well, this defense is well on its way to being dominant again.

Rausch
10-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I friggin' love Dorsey and he's been one of my favorites ever since he fell to us at #5. Glad to see he's finally realizing some of that potential. And what's scary is that he should continue to improve...by a lot.

Gawd, it's fun to actually see results from all those shitty seasons. Hopefully when he comes back, Jackson can continue to play well. I certainly don't expect him to ever match the #3 overall pick, but if he plays well, this defense is well on its way to being dominant again.

I was one of the first and loudest to say him moving to a 3-4 was stupid and a waste of his talents...

...there really is a reason I'm not an NFL head coach.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-15-2010, 11:02 AM
:facepalm:

That didn't take long.

We've been down this road before Hamas. That's not what he is good at. That is not what he did at LSU. He is not a natural pass rusher and never was.

No offense, Tardian, but when the NFL's own draft site compares him to Warren Sapp, when he picks up 171 tackles from an interior line position, and when he has 13 sacks as a DT, including 7 as a senior in the SEC, playing in scheme where he both two gapped and one gapped, and when he was projected as a top-3 talent in the draft, it's pretty obvious what his talents were projected to be: a penetrating defensive tackle.

Put it this way: if personnel guys thought that he wasn't a penetrator, he wouldn't have even been considered a top five pick.

TheGuardian
10-15-2010, 11:18 AM
No offense, Tardian, but when the NFL's own draft site compares him to Warren Sapp, when he picks up 171 tackles from an interior line position, and when he has 13 sacks as a DT, including 7 as a senior in the SEC, playing in scheme where he both two gapped and one gapped, and when he was projected as a top-3 talent in the draft, it's pretty obvious what his talents were projected to be: a penetrating defensive tackle.

Put it this way: if personnel guys thought that he wasn't a penetrator, he wouldn't have even been considered a top five pick.

And I said before the draft it was a fucking stupid comparison, and one that hasn't come to fruition in the NFL.

Lots of dumb comparisons are made every year. I remember when people compared Koren Robinson to Randy Moss from a talent perspective.

Just because someone says he should be a penetrating defensive tackle, doesn't mean that what he is. Personnel guys fuck up every year. Otherwise no one drafts busts in the first round.

Regardless of Dorsey's stats, all you had to do was watch him in college. I can tell by your posts, you didn't. You're just regurgitating what those guys wrote. It never made sense to me because Dorsey is not a natural pass rusher in college and doesn't transition from one technique to the other very well with his hands. His hips also don't bend in the way Sapp's do where Sapp would get that inside move on a guy. Dorsey doesn't have that. This is the difference between watching and understanding what you are looking at, and just spewing shit some guys wrote.

Dorsey plays like a barge, where Sapp played like a race boat. Their abilities and what they do best aren't even remotely close. The only reason for the comparison was because they are built similarly. That's it.

FAX
10-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Not to interrupt, but Haley talks a little bit about Dorsey and Haley in his last presser. It's interesting to see Haley "light up" a little when he discusses both players ... at the 7:30 mark, he's talking about Tamba ... it's pretty clear that Haley's in love ..

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media-center/videos/From-the-Podium-Todd-Haley/d2fe760f-1bbe-446a-89aa-95c6bff281f0

FAX

Fish
10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Nevermind the large number of different draft sites making the comparison.

Nevermind the college stats that clearly back up the reasons for the comparison.

Tardian watched him play. Something that evidently nobody else did. So that's that. Everybody else is obviously wrong...

TheGuardian
10-15-2010, 11:34 AM

Nevermind the college stats that clearly back up the reasons for the comparison.

Tardian watched him play. Something that evidently nobody else did. So that's that. Everybody else is obviously wrong...

Who has been right?

And did it ever occur to you that a lot of the draft sites just repeat each other you dumb fuck?

Fish
10-15-2010, 11:45 AM
Who has been right?

And did it ever occur to you that a lot of the draft sites just repeat each other you dumb fuck?

Sure bud. Keep telling yourself that you're right and everyone else is wrong. Hold that anger nice and tight.

TheGuardian
10-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Sure bud. Keep telling yourself that you're right and everyone else is wrong. Hold that anger nice and tight.

Ummmmm who has been right?

Thanks for playing.

milkman
10-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Ummmmm who has been right?

Thanks for playing.

This would hold up far better if you had actually been here to tell us that everyone else was wrong when Dorsey was drafted.

Being right after the fact is really not all that impressive.

BossChief
10-15-2010, 11:56 AM
Not to try to back one side of an argument by posting youtube videos, but damn near every single one features him shooting one gap, not controlling two gaps.

Not saying he didnt do it, he did, but it wasnt what he was drafted so high for...that w2as because he was extremely disruptive while shooting gaps.

go bo
10-15-2010, 12:00 PM

Tardian watched him play. Something that evidently nobody else did. So that's that. Everybody else is obviously wrong...obviously...

TheGuardian
10-15-2010, 12:01 PM
Not to try to back one side of an argument by posting youtube videos, but damn near every single one features him shooting one gap, not controlling two gaps.

Not saying he didnt do it, he did, but it wasnt what he was drafted so high for...that w2as because he was extremely disruptive while shooting gaps.

He did to play some 1 gap, but it was rare. And he did not get to get after QB's in college. It was his JOB to maintain gap control.

Second, if you watch him you will notice that he plays a real hip forward style. Sapp had very fluid hips that bent really well. Almost like a defensive end. Dorsey does not have that ability. He plays a very hip forward style where Sapp had the ability to do that, but also had the ability to bend at the waist and twist his hips to do a lot of interior pass rushing and beat guys with it. That's really a genetic thing, not something a guy can be taught.

Second, Dorsey doesn't transition well with his hands in pass rushing, and never has. Sapp was a natural at it.

The reasons for the comparisons was because of stats and build. But that is really where the comparisons end. The aren't similar players in their style and ability at all. Randy Moss and Fitz could have similar seasons and be of similar size, but their style of play couldn't be more different. It's ridiculous to make comparisons based on those things.

go bo
10-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Not saying he didnt do it, he did, but it wasnt what he was drafted so high for...that w2as because he was extremely disruptive while shooting gaps.i always wondered how a gap would taste...

probably pretty gamey...

OnTheWarpath15
10-15-2010, 12:25 PM

Roid rage, FTW.

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Ah, it looks like I struck a nerve with the clown who claims to have me on ignore.

http://i55.tinypic.com/nv6tf9.jpg

That's a JUCO backup-quality comeback, folks. Enjoy.

philfree
10-16-2010, 03:22 PM
and he is discussed among Chiefs insiders as one of the team’s future stars, alongside linebacker Tamba Hali and cornerback Brandon Flowers.

1st round talent at every level of our D.:clap: Add in DJ and Berry and this D is loaded. If TJ can make strides like Doresy has over this year and the offseason our D could end up sick.

PhilFree:arrow:

the Talking Can
10-16-2010, 03:25 PM
1st round talent at every level of our D.:clap: Add in DJ and Berry and this D is loaded. If TJ can make strides like Doresy has over this year and the offseason our D could end up sick.

yup....and that's how it should be when you suck for years, eventually all those high picks converge....

Rasputin
10-16-2010, 03:32 PM
Yes Dorsey is playing disciplined football, but so is the rest of the defense. Rarely are they out of posisiton and give up the big play. It's night and day over the last regime we had night and day. Herm came here to fix the wo full D. Now the D is back thanks to Haley bringing in Crennell. **** YEA!!!

Manning couldn't pick us apart like he would have, has, in the past. It was great defense against one of the best QBs ever.

I like the word discipline when talking about our Defense, that's what was lacking for so manny years.

philfree
10-16-2010, 03:39 PM
yup....and that's how it should be when you suck for years, eventually all those high picks converge....

Unless you're the Detroit Lions.

Bewbies
10-16-2010, 05:06 PM
This.

If he ever reaches his potential he could be the best 3-4 DE in history.

Period.

Better than Bruce Smith?

SenselessChiefsFan
10-16-2010, 07:51 PM
To be perfectly honest, given how Hali has played this year, I think he'd be a pretty good RDE, even if he has lost some weight.

RDE: Hali
3T: Dorsey
NT: Smith/Edwards
LDE: Jackson

On passing downs, you could bring in Gilberry or Magee to play the nose. Put Williams at WLB, and DJ or Belcher could man either MLB or SLB.

Hali is in the scheme that fits him best. Putting him as a 4-3 end again would be a mistake.

beach tribe
10-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Yes Dorsey is playing disciplined football, but so is the rest of the defense. Rarely are they out of posisiton and give up the big play. It's night and day over the last regime we had night and day. Herm came here to fix the wo full D. Now the D is back thanks to Haley bringing in Crennell. **** YEA!!!

Manning couldn't pick us apart like he would have, has, in the past. It was great defense against one of the best QBs ever.

I like the word discipline when talking about our Defense, that's what was lacking for so manny years.

That's the main thing I've noticed. (Although DJ was out of position on a few plays during Indy's first drive) Players are breaking down squaring up, and tackling, instead of flying in, and whiffing like they did during Herm's entire tenure. Much more disciplined than we've seen in a long time.

milkman
10-16-2010, 09:39 PM
That's the main thing I've noticed. (Although DJ was out of position on a few plays during Indy's first drive) Players are breaking down squaring up, and tackling, instead of flying in, and whiffing like they did during Herm's entire tenure. Much more disciplined than we've seen in a long time.

Actually, the kind of discipline this defense is playing with right now has been lacking since the days of Cowher.

The 90s Chiefs didn't lose all their discipline when Cunther took over because Marty was still the HC, but you could see the slow erosion of discipline even then.

Good lord, how I hated Cunther.

Jim (Logical, rip) and I were about the only ones that weren't happy when Carl brought him back as DC after Spinner "resigned".

beach tribe
10-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Actually, the kind of discipline this defense is playing with right now has been lacking since the days of Cowher.

The 90s Chiefs didn't lose all their discipline when ****her took over because Marty was still the HC, but you could see the slow erosion of discipline even then.

Good lord, how I hated ****her.

Jim (Logical, rip) and I were about the only ones that weren't happy when Carl brought him back as DC after Spinner "resigned".

You're right, and it's amazing what a huge difference the emphasis on discipline, and holding players accountable for not being disciplined has made. Thank God for Crennel's hire, and Haley's iron fist.

FAX
10-16-2010, 09:50 PM

The 90s Chiefs didn't lose all their discipline when ****her took over because Marty was still the HC, but you could see the slow erosion of discipline even then.

Good lord, how I hated ****her.

That's part of it ... the discipline, I mean ... perhaps, even, the greatest contributor to the "turnaround". But I think part of the reason the defense has improved so quickly has to do with conditioning, Mr. milkman.

Over time (and certainly during Herm's tenure), this team had grown soft. I now think that part of the reason DJ and several other players I could name never seemed to play to their perceived potential, had to do with the fact they were not in premier "football shape".

Haley's demands that players lose unnecessary weight, take care of themselves during the off-season, and run gassers every time somebody screws up is paying dividends. It's showing up (knock on noggin) in the injury list and it's showing up in the 4th quarter ... that's my take, anyhow.

FAX

DaneMcCloud
10-16-2010, 09:54 PM
That's part of it ... the discipline, I mean ... perhaps, even, the greatest contributor to the "turnaround". But I think part of the reason the defense has improved so quickly has to do with conditioning, Mr. milkman.

Over time (and certainly during Herm's tenure), this team had grown soft. I now think that part of the reason DJ and several other players I could name never seemed to play to their perceived potential, had to do with the fact they were not in premier "football shape".

Haley's demands that players lose unnecessary weight, take care of themselves during the off-season, and run gassers every time somebody screws up is paying dividends. It's showing up (knock on noggin) in the injury list and it's showing up in the 4th quarter ... that's my take, anyhow.

FAX

Well keep in mind that this defense features four first rounders still on their first contract, two second rounders on their first contract and a mix of veterans, late rounders and a undrafted few free agents. The talent is definitely there but the Chiefs now have their first true defensive coordinator since 1991.

That alone is HUGE.

milkman
10-16-2010, 09:56 PM

FAX

No question conditioning is a part of it, and that falls into the broader scope of discipline.

BossChief
10-16-2010, 10:03 PM
Im stepping out on a limb here, I know this, but I think Haley may very well be our best coach of my lifetime (Im 32)...as I was not around for the championship days of yesteryear.

Time will tell, as usual, but the signs and indicators are there that this team is headed toward great places.

The way these kids are playing for these guys is obvious to anyone with eyes...if we can get a damn quarterback, this team WILL win a championship in the next few years.

FAX
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Well keep in mind that this defense features four first rounders still on their first contract, two second rounders on their first contract and a mix of veterans, late rounders and a undrafted few free agents. The talent is definitely there but the Chiefs now have their first true defensive coordinator since 1991.

That alone is HUGE.

I'm certainly not discounting Crennel's abilities. I was high on Crennel when he was hired and I remain high. It seems obvious that the team is responding to him and his approach to the game. First off, Crennel has the kind of background that players respect. Second off, he isn't half-bad at putting players in a position to be successful. Once a player gets his mind around that, he realizes that doing what he's told is a win/win for everybody.

One encouraging item, as a matter of fact, has emerged in Crennel's last two press interviews in which he's mentioned that he's "... still learning what the players can do ...". It makes sense that, the more familiar he becomes with the team, the more improvement we'll see in his game plans.

Still, there is such a marked difference between last year and this season, I have to believe that there's more to the story than just "discipline". We have young legs, sure ... but we are also seeing better individual performances from guys who have been marginal since they were drafted. I just think that part of the reason for that is better conditioning.

FAX

beach tribe
10-16-2010, 10:04 PM
Im stepping out on a limb here, I know this, but I think Haley may very well be our best coach of my lifetime (Im 32)...as I was not around for the championship days of yesteryear.

Time will tell, as usual, but the signs and indicators are there that this team is headed toward great places.

The way these kids are playing for these guys is obvious to anyone with eyes...if we can get a damn quarterback, this team WILL win a championship in the next few years.
I just can't even imagine how good that would feel.

FAX
10-16-2010, 10:06 PM

It's going to be interesting. If Haley can take us to the promised land, one would have to rank him just below Hank. Some people might be prepared to do that already.

FAX

beach tribe
10-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm certainly not discounting Crennel's abilities. I was high on Crennel when he was hired and I remain high. It seems obvious that the team is responding to him and his approach to the game. First off, Crennel has the kind of background that players respect. Second off, he isn't half-bad at putting players in a position to be successful. Once a player gets his mind around that, he realizes that doing what he's told is a win/win for everybody.

One encouraging item, as a matter of fact, has emerged in Crennel's last two press interviews in which he's mentioned that he's "... still learning what the players can do ...". It makes sense that, the more familiar he becomes with the team, the more improvement we'll see in his game plans.

Still, there is such a marked difference between last year and this season, I have to believe that there's more to the story than just "discipline". We have young legs, sure ... but we are also seeing better individual performances from guys who have been marginal since they were drafted. I just think that part of the reason for that is better conditioning.

FAX

Yes, there is no doubt that the conditioning is playing a large role in the improved performance, and IIRC there were quite a few people here ripping on Haley for making these players lose weight ,and holding them out for not meeting his conditioning demands. He's still not getting the kind of praise that should be coming his way from a lot of planeteers even though he has had as large a role as any in backhanding this organization back to respectability.

milkman
10-16-2010, 10:11 PM

It is certainly encouraging to have a coach who's willing to do what needs to be done to assemble a quality staff, and who is willing to take risks in the persuit of victory.

Direckshun
10-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Good lord, some folks in this thread have said things about Haley that go beyond a Jim Mora scolding.

Let's win the division first, hotpants.

kcfanXIII
10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I just can't even imagine how good that would feel.

i have often imagined it in my dreams. the feeling at arrowhead, when we look at the person next to us and realize at the same time: we're going to the super bowl. ya, i can imagine. i can imagine how cold the beer will be, how great the chili will taste at whatever super bowl party i end up at. i can feel the sting on my palms from the infinite high fives i will receive. its what being a fan is about. the upwelling of pride. the sense of relief that all these years of misery, the sunday meltdowns, the endless bitching on the radio and the internet... that was all worth it.

BossChief
10-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Good lord, some folks in this thread have said things about Haley that go beyond a Jim Mora scolding.

Let's win the division first, hotpants.

If you are talking about me...Im not talking about this year AT ALL.

I couldnt care less if we win this division this year or not, to me that has nothing to do with my post. The fact that we have beaten the teams we have beaten, in the manor we have defeated them, and how we played Indy...all without ANY QUALITY PLAY from the quarterback position is what Im talking about.

Its astounding.

The pass defense has been phenomenal, with a group of players that are still in their NFL infancy. The secondary has NO WEAK LINKS as evidenced by the games against PM and PR...leaders of the two top passing offenses in the NFL.

Our rush defense has played well above its pay level. We have guys that have been career underachievers (Shaun Smith, DJ, Hali, Edwards) playing extremely well and our highly touted defenders (Dorsey, Flowers, Carr) are young and have an arrow pointed straight up next to their names. They are looking like elite players in the NFL RIGHT NOW.

We have a rookie class that is totally OWNING. From the top to the bottom, every pick (sans Sheffield) is making an impact on this team and in the league. Through 5 weeks of play (one of which we had a bye week) we have had a rookie named rookie of the week twice.

Berry - team hasnt given up the big play all year, something we have missed for a very long time now. Not anymore, that helps every other defender.
DMC - is a threat every time he touches the ball, to score. If we had a quarterback, this is a player that would be a pure matchup nightmare.
Arenas - has been as good as any rookie corner in the league and is a true game changing return man.
Asamoah - Hasnt broken the starting lineup, only because our guards are vets and are playing extremely well at this point...when he does I think he will be a probowler and possibly an all pro...he was great in college and has shown signs of that greatness in limited time in the pros so far.
Moeaki - so far, has been our most impressive draft pick IMO, but of course I have been high on the player since well before we drafted him. Im just glad we got him.
Lewis - hasn't been fooled by usual "rookie tricks" and has shown to be a damn smart player that doesn't seem slow on the field...I still see a player that plays like Sammy Knight. With two rookie safeties playing so much and our team giving up a minuscule amount of plays over 20 yards, you have to give some credit to this guy.

IMO, nobody deserves more credit than Haley in all of this for his clear level of expectation and high standards that everyone (except Cassel) is being held to, and once the quarterback position is fixed...the sky is the limit with this team.

Again IMO.

P.S. sorry if repost.

-King-
10-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Are asst. coaches eligible for the Coach of the Year award?

Serious question, because if so, then Romeo Crennel should be right up at the top of that chart. The things he has done to this defense are nothing short of amazing.

And to think that most of the starters on defense were with this team last year. Only new starters to the team are Shaun Smith, Berry (rookie) and Lewis (rookie). That is amazing. Shit, Shaun Smith isn't even the regular starter.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 11:24 PM
Are asst. coaches eligible for the Coach of the Year award?

Serious question, because if so, then Romeo Crennel should be right up at the top of that chart. The things he has done to this defense are nothing short of amazing.

And to think that most of the starters on defense were with this team last year. Only new starters to the team are Shaun Smith, Berry (rookie) and Lewis (rookie). That is amazing. Shit, Shaun Smith isn't even the regular starter.Technically Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher are new starters as well

EDIT: Uhp, botch

-King-
10-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Technically Derrick Johnson and Jovan Belcher are new starters as well

And to think that most of the starters on defense were with this team last year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 01:38 AM
And I said before the draft it was a fucking stupid comparison, and one that hasn't come to fruition in the NFL.

Lots of dumb comparisons are made every year.

Oh how we AGREE as of late!

Like "Cassel is a better deal than a rookie, especially for a 2nd round pick".

Or, "Cassel is just repeating Trent Green's first year, and will be just like Trent in 2010; probably even BETTER".