PDA

View Full Version : Life Some Advice...

CaliforniaChief
10-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Hey Planeteers! Recently I was brought on at a local hospice company and have the privilege of working with people and families who are dealing with some big "end of life" issues. I know it sounds morbid, but it's the best job I've ever had getting the chance to help people reconcile things before life ends. And without sounding preachy, I've come to see 3 things that I want to share with all of you to think about.

1. Take care of yourselves.
I've already seen enough 40-50 year olds with COPD, lung cancer, other maladies to know that it's so important to take care of your body. I'm overweight and wow, do I need to work on that.

2. Invest yourself in other people.
Dying is a part of life. But watching people die alone just kills me. I'm glad I can be there, but people who have family and friends with them die a much more peaceful death, and have a lot of great memories to share.

3. Enjoy every day as the gift that it is.
You just never know, folks. Anything can happen to anyone. One day you're living life and enjoying family. The next, you find out your body is full of cancer and there's nothing they can do. Don't waste your good health!

blaise
10-15-2010, 09:03 AM
I was so happy that "Some advice" wasn't followed by, "Should I start ____ or ____."

boogblaster
10-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Yea life is short really ...

CaliforniaChief
10-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Yeah maybe I ought to amend the title a bit. LOL

Fat Elvis
10-15-2010, 09:15 AM
It takes a special person to work in a hospice setting; those folks tend to be some of the best people you could ever want to meet. It is a profound and life changing experience.

DaFace
10-15-2010, 09:16 AM
2. Invest yourself in other people.
Dying is a part of life. But watching people die alone just kills me. I'm glad I can be there, but people who have family and friends with them die a much more peaceful death, and have a lot of great memories to share.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/4009/1097290-i_see_what_you_did_there_super.jpg

DaFace
10-15-2010, 09:17 AM
It takes a special person to work in a hospice setting; those folks tend to be some of the best people you could ever want to meet. It is a profound and life changing experience.

Definitely agree. My uncle worked as a Hospice minister for almost a decade. He had to get out of it eventually (it can be pretty damn depressing), but it was definitely a "rewarding" experience in terms of the impact he had on people.

seclark
10-15-2010, 09:17 AM

damn right. props to cc.
sec

Dayze
10-15-2010, 09:22 AM
dude I've ridden with over the years, died tragically Wednesday night on I-35.
good dude; not much older than me.

don't take stuff for granted; it could be over just like >< that.