PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Blaine Gabbert: Go on record

Pages : [1] 2 3

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Let's discuss this player. If he declares, I have him as the #1 QB prospect on "my board" (holla). He'll be a first-round selection; this isn't arguable. What is arguable is whether or not you'd be ok with the Chiefs spending a first-round selection on him.

Thus, let's weigh in. Vote "yes" if you're not dumb as ****. Vote "no" if you are.

Ok, ok, I keed. Thoughts?

Oh, and Luck is vastly overrated. Talented prospect, yet vastly overrated.

Gabbert: go.

BryanBusby
10-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Like Luck, Gabbert is not ready to take the next step just yet.

RustShack
Fuck no.

gblowfish
Let's see how he does against Oklahoma before making him the new Messiah.

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
And for the record:

I would draft this player and make sure that I have a vet. Gabbert is the type of prospect who, while talented, would benefit greatly by having a year to adjust.

Stanley Nickels
10-16-2010, 06:51 PM
Gabbert, since high school, has proven to be the porcelain doll of QBs. He's got all the measurables, but gets injured too often and mentally adjusts some of his throws to adjust being hit. His arm is actually too strong often, throwing dangerously high to receivers. But I think he's got NFl-talent, no doubt. He's just got to get stronger and continue building confidence

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Let's see how he does against Oklahoma before making him the new Messiah.

I said last year that I would have committed the #5 overall pick to him. This has nothing to do with today's game, though it was a perfect illustration of his talents.

Coach
10-16-2010, 06:52 PM
Gabbert, since high school, has proven to be the porcelain doll of QBs. He's got all the measurables, but gets injured too often and mentally adjusts some of his throws to adjust being hit. His arm is actually too strong often, throwing dangerously high to receivers. But I think he's got NFl-talent, no doubt. He's just got to get stronger and continue building confidence

The throws being high is because he is overstepping his throws, which is correctable.

Reerun_KC
10-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Boy this is a tough one...

Big 12 spread QB's dont fair well in the NFL... Granted the Kid is very very good...

It would be hard to put my hate for everything and anything MU aside, but just like Cassel, if he is the QB the Chiefs, I will/would support him....

But IF they DID draft him, he better start from week 1 and he better produce...

kstater
He plays in the spread no?

DeezNutz

How many games has he missed due to injury? Like today, for example. Imagine how much better the Tigers would have been if his (broken, bruised?) ribs and hip pointer had allowed him to play.

Let's not get this twisted: Gabbert isn't a bitch like other QBs that KC has known.

Sam Hall
10-16-2010, 06:54 PM
In 2012, hell yeah.

Thig Lyfe
10-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Why spend a first rounder when we could sign Todd Reesing right now?

Reerun_KC
10-16-2010, 06:55 PM
And for the record:

I would draft this player and make sure that I have a vet. Gabbert is the type of prospect who, while talented, would benefit greatly by having a year to adjust.

:rolleyes:

Nope, if we would draft him, then he better be good enough to start from day one... Otherwise its a wasted pick.

Reerun_KC
Why spend a first rounder when we could sign Todd Reesing right now?

You cant be serious? Reesing sucks...

DeezNutz

Nope, if we would draft him, then he better be good enough to start from day one... Otherwise its a wasted pick.

Like Rodgers was a wasted pick for GB?

Titty Meat
10-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Deez come on dude.....

You pimped Mallett for so long he sucks....

Then Christian Ponder he also sucks......

Just give in and admit Luck is the best NFL prospect.

tk13
10-16-2010, 06:57 PM
As much as I like this place... there is no way on earth this place will ever, ever, ever, ever want this team to sit a drafted QB for a year. I'd bet everything I own, and everything you own, on it.

Reerun_KC
10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Like Rodgers was a wasted pick for GB?

Easy to cherry pick a very rare occurance... Its a little different when your talking a NFL hall of famer vs Matt Cassel....

So still nope, he starts from day one... No need to pussy foot around.

DeezNutz
Deez come on dude.....

You pimped Mallett for so long he sucks....

Then Christian Ponder he also sucks......

Just give in and admit Luck is the best NFL prospect.

Incredibly untrue and untrue.

I have argued that Mallett has tons of upside but is raw. I have argued that Ponder has many desirable intangibles, similar in this respect to Luck.

"for so long"? Not nearly true for either. For Gabbert? Yeah, I've been on that bandwagon since last fall.

Gonzo
I'm a Gabbert fan but I just don't think he's ready yet. I may change my opinion after the season though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reerun_KC
10-16-2010, 06:59 PM
As much as I like this place... there is no way on earth this place will ever, ever, ever, ever want this team to sit a drafted QB for a year. I'd bet everything I own, and everything you own, on it.

And everything I own....

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:00 PM
Easy to cherry pick a very rare occurance... Its a little different when your talking a NFL hall of famer vs Matt Cassel....

So still nope, he starts from day one... No need to pussy foot around.

The early success of Flacco and Ryan has absolutely skewed the perspective of rookie QBs, so much so that Sanchez was declared a bust (LMAO) last season.

It's hardly cherry picking to claim that most n00bs would benefit from not starting game one, year one.

Rams Fan
10-16-2010, 07:01 PM

McNabb didn't start right away. Get a decent veteran QB(Shaun Hill for example) start him for a year and then plug Gabbert in.

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:01 PM
So, if he declares, the official CP excuse will be, "I'd be ok with the pick if it were 2012, but 2011 is just too early."?

Yeah, because I'd rather be a year late than a year early. The latter would suck.

Reerun_KC
10-16-2010, 07:02 PM
The early success of Flacco and Ryan has absolutely skewed the perspective of rookie QBs, so much so that Sanchez was declared a bust (LMAO) last season.

It's hardly cherry picking to claim that most n00bs would benefit from not starting game one, year one.

They might benefit from it, But we dont have a choice. Regardless of whom we draft (even thought it might be a snow balls chance in hell) in the first round...

Dude needs to be the leader of this team from the beginning.. The coaches need to give him the same treatment at Cassel... He needs to be the starter and the undisputed leader on opening day....

KcMizzou
10-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Fuck no.Is ISU still going to win the North?

Reerun_KC
McNabb didn't start right away. Get a decent veteran QB(Shaun Hill for example) start him for a year and then plug Gabbert in.

Same Shaun Hill from Parsons Kansas? Whos dad coached my sister in basketball? That guy from little ol Southeastern Kansas?

DeezNutz
They might benefit from it, But we dont have a choice. Regardless of whom we draft (even thought it might be a snow balls chance in hell) in the first round...

Dude needs to be the leader of this team from the beginning.. The coaches need to give him the same treatment at Cassel... He needs to be the starter and the undisputed leader on opening day....

Why?

If we signed a decent vet, why would it be problematic for our QBOTF to take the reigns, full throttle, in his second NFL season? We've waited since '83, but we wouldn't have the patience to wait one more season, with a legitimately talented n00b on the roster?

Wow.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 07:05 PM
I'm still intrigued by Ponder in spite of his INTs. He seems like a Matt Ryan kind of prospect, and would love to see what Weis does with him.

If Gabbert's not ready now, put him on the bench for a season. Regardless though, draft him. Assuming we get a middle-round pick, that's definitely good value for Gabbert.

Reerun_KC
10-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Is ISU still going to win the North?

Doubt it, probably KU....

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Assuming we get a middle-round pick, that's definitely good value for Gabbert.

If it's a QB you'd draft at #15, value doesn't mean shit. You should be willing to draft him at any spot, in this case.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 07:07 PM
So, if he declares, the official CP excuse will be, "I'd be ok with the pick if it were 2012, but 2011 is just too early."?

Yeah, because I'd rather be a year late than a year early. The latter would suck.I don't understand that. The technical flaws Gabbert has from being in a spread offense aren't going to correct themselves by continuing to play in a spread offense.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 07:08 PM
If it's a QB you'd draft at #15, value doesn't mean shit. You should be willing to draft him at any spot, in this case.Was Tim Tebow good value at 23 or whenever the fuck he was drafted?

Reerun_KC
10-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Why?

If we signed a decent vet, why would it be problematic for our QBOTF to take the reigns, full throttle, in his second NFL season? We've waited since '83, but we wouldn't have the patience to wait one more season, with a legitimately talented n00b on the roster?

Wow.

It would be nothing more than a season of controversy....

God, we already have "Jamal needs more Carries" "Bench Cassel, Cause we have a HOF Broken QB on the bench"

Start the kid, let him learn.. The washed up vet that we would have to sign so we could let the kid ride the bench isnt going to do us any good anyway...

I am not a big fan of the Football cliches "let him learn the ropes from the ol wiley savy vet" stuff...

You learn by being on the field and in the game, not on the bench.

Buts thats just me.... Doesnt mean I am speaking for everyone.

Luke
10-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Unfortunatly as long as Pioli is here so is Cassel,n my opinion.:cuss:

DeezNutz
Was Tim Tebow good value at 23 or whenever the **** he was drafted?

Nope. But that kind of stupidity knows no bounds.

All I'm saying is this: when discussing QBs, the logic of, "I'd be ok if we were picking later in the round but not top 5" makes no sense. We heard this countless times with Sanchez, and it was insanely misguided and flat fucking wrong.

RustShack
Is ISU still going to win the North?

Nope. Arnaud has taken a bit step in the wrong direction. Plus they have been missing a few D players, with no depth.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 07:12 PM
It would be nothing more than a season of controversy....

God, we already have "Jamal needs more Carries" "Bench Cassel, Cause we have a HOF Broken QB on the bench"

Start the kid, let him learn.. The washed up vet that we would have to sign so we could let the kid ride the bench isnt going to do us any good anyway...

I am not a big fan of the Football cliches "let him learn the ropes from the ol wiley savy vet" stuff...

You learn by being on the field and in the game, not on the bench.

Buts thats just me.... Doesnt mean I am speaking for everyone.Sure, but Gabbert isn't pro ready. There are no wiley veterans on this roster for him to learn under, but a season of clipboard holding and practice snaps would make his learning curve more centered to the finer points of playing QB in the NFL instead of "Now how did that 7 step drop go again?"

Reerun_KC

What about Manning and Leaf?

Mr. Laz
where's the "i wish all the MUrons would just die in a fire" option?

kstater
10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
http://www.moviestuffandmore.com/images/soundboards/homer-simpson-3.jpg

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:14 PM
where's the "i wish all the MUrons would just die in a fire" option?

Post 59-7.

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:15 PM
No, this isn't a "homer" thread. Does anyone actually dispute that Gabbert will be a first-round selection?

kstater
Nope. Arnaud has taken a bit step in the wrong direction. Plus they have been missing a few D players, with no depth.

I thought ISU was supposed to be good this year?

Reerun_KC
Post 59-7.

We're only on post #44.....

Goober...

kstater
10-16-2010, 07:16 PM
http://100falcons.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/homer.jpg

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm back at your palace, pleasuring your wife, distressing your child.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Nope. But that kind of stupidity knows no bounds.

All I'm saying is this: when discussing QBs, the logic of, "I'd be ok if we were picking later in the round but not top 5" makes no sense. We heard this countless times with Sanchez, and it was insanely misguided and flat fucking wrong.If we draft in the top half of this draft, there are some other QBs I'd take over Gabbert, which is why I specified middle first round. If we took him at say... 5th overall I might scratch my head why they took him instead of someone like Mallett (who I still rate higher than Gabbert) but I wouldn't call it a poor decision at all. I'm gradually starting to trust Pioli and company again after TysonJacksongate. The fact that they drafted a QB in the first round at all I'd support.

philfree
10-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't know about Gabbert but if we draft him or any QB IMO Cassel would be the perfect QB for him study behind. His work ethic is what a young QB needs to learn from him. Cassel needs to redo his contract at the end of the season and then he is the starter for one more year or maybe a few games less depending on how things are qoing with each QB. This siuation needs to be just like the other positions have been handled adn let them compete. The thing is winning the job over Cassel shouldn't be so difficult unless the competition and playing time for Cassel starts to kick in. Then we have a good problem.

I know everybody hates Cassel at this point be we might be best off in that situation by retaining his services for a little longer.

PhilFree:arrow:

58-4ever
10-16-2010, 07:26 PM
ummm, no. He will come back to Earth next week.

58-4ever
10-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't know about Gabbert but if we draft him or any QB IMO Cassel would be the perfect QB for him study behind. His work ethic is what a young QB needs to learn from him. Cassel needs to redo his contract at the end of the season and then he is the starter for one more year or maybe a few games less depending on how things are qoing with each QB. This siuation needs to be just like the other positions have been handled adn let them compete. The thing is winning the job over Cassel shouldn't be so difficult unless the competition and playing time for Cassel starts to kick in. Then we have a good problem.

I know everybody hates Cassel at this point be we might be best off in that situation by retaining his services for a little longer.

Cassel isn't guaranteed anything next year and there is no cap... so why would we redo his deal?

Thig Lyfe
10-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Cassel ... is the starter for one more year or maybe a few games

fuck no

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:27 PM
ummm, no. He will come back to Earth next week.

His skill set and upside will disappear? These were the byproducts of College Station water?

Tribal Warfare
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd select him, he has everything you want out of QB.

RustShack
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Cassel isn't guaranteed anything next year and there is no cap... so why would we redo his deal?

There will probably be a cap next year.

RustShack
10-16-2010, 07:29 PM
I would take him if we have the #32 pick.

-King-
10-16-2010, 07:34 PM
No. His name isn't a noun or verb, so no.

Seriously, Ponder that for a minute. All the Luck in the world won't make him a good pick right now. I'll have to watch him a few more times before I know he's worth a Locker in the chiefs locker room. Until then, I'm going to put the Mallet down and put in a big fat no on this one.

But seriously, yeah, I'd like to draft him. He's really raw and I don't think his smarts are up to the NFL level yet, but he's worthy of a first.

crispystl
10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
gabbert probably has the best arm in college football, but his footwork and pocket presence could use some work. He has the most upside but is very raw it's a roll of the dice.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 07:36 PM
No. His name isn't a noun or verb, so no.

Seriously, Ponder that for a minute. All the Luck in the world won't make him a good pick right now. I'll have to watch him a few more times before I know he's worth a Locker in the chiefs locker room. Until then, I'm going to put the Mallet down and put in a big fat no on this one.

But seriously, yeah, I'd like to draft him. He's really raw and I don't think his smarts are up to the NFL level yet, but he's worthy of a first.Gabbert? I hardly know her!

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
but his footwork and pocket presence could use some work.

His footwork, at times, is a legit. concern. His presence and field awareness, however, are not.

RustShack
10-16-2010, 07:38 PM
I've only seen him in limited snaps this year.. but from the few snaps I seen in nearly all of them he had zero pocket presence and in no way resembled an NFL QB. I however did like him last year.. and he has probably gotten better since the Illinois game I seen this year. But I still like Luck, Mallet, and Ponder more.

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 07:42 PM
Rust: you've gone from
1. Fuck no.
2. Ok, at #32
to
3. I've only seen limited snaps.

Dude...

philfree
10-16-2010, 07:44 PM

We don't want to pay him a huge bonus but to keep around we are going to have to pay him something. He knows the offense and would be an excellent tutor for a rookie.

RustShack
10-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Rust: you've gone from
1. Fuck no.
2. Ok, at #32
to
3. I've only seen limited snaps.

Dude...

Yep from what I've seen I wouldn't take him high. Then I realized We probably wont be picking high like the last few years. I however do know he is talented, so I wouldn't be against taking him later... the other QB's I do like more probably wont be there anyways.

philfree
10-16-2010, 07:45 PM
There will probably be a cap next year.

Exactly!

alpha_omega
I need to see more before I am ready to say he is a 1st.

DeezNutz
We don't want to pay him a huge bonus but to keep around we are going to have to pay him something. He knows the offense and would be an excellent tutor for a rookie.

He would not be an excellent tutor because he's an absolute bitch and isn't anywhere close to being a leader.

What he would be, however, is a warm body and tackling dummy. He could fulfill those roles well.

kstater
10-16-2010, 07:47 PM
The one snap he took under center today he fumbled...

crispystl
10-16-2010, 07:48 PM
His footwork, at times, is a legit. concern. His presence and field awareness, however, are not.

I'm not arguing I'm no scout but i watch just about every Mizzou game (I'm a huge fan and probably a homer) in my opinion he gets happy feet at times and doesn't get set but like i said I'm no scout jmop

Pitt Gorilla
10-16-2010, 07:49 PM
Right now, I'm not sure he's a first.

philfree
10-16-2010, 07:50 PM
He would not be an excellent tutor because he's an absolute bitch and isn't anywhere close to being a leader.

What he would be, however, is a warm body and tackling dummy. He could fulfill those roles well.

He's a team guy and he has great work ethic and that's important. As far as not being a leader I don't know that.

philfree
10-16-2010, 07:52 PM
The one snap he took under center today he fumbled...

That's O.K. we can operate from the Pistol.

RustShack
10-16-2010, 07:52 PM
There should be two yes options.

Yes, and I'm a Mizzou fan
Yes, and I'm not a Mizzou fan.

ChiefsCountry
10-16-2010, 08:31 PM
All the qbs this year have enough warts on them that the excuses not to draft any one of them. For the most part they are all about equal similar to 2004 draft where they are all interchangable.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I will say this. If you told me that Blaine Gabbert was going to be in the NFL Draft in 2011, I'd give up our 2010 #5 overall for the right to take him.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6455681&postcount=122

January 17, 2010.

What do you think?

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I know what you're saying.

When I watch Gabbert play, though, I see a player who is more athletically gifted than Roethlisberger and who also has a plus arm.

The raw tools are just too much for me to get past. I'd draft him in a heart beat.

9/23/09

-King-
10-16-2010, 08:47 PM
In a few years, MU will have a QB named Blaine Gabbert. He'll be the prototypical NFL quarterback with great size, good arm, accuracy, and mobility. In 2011, we could draft him if he comes out

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7093228&postcount=78

5/26/2002

Sannyasi
10-16-2010, 08:52 PM
I don't get where the pocket presence knock comes from. If you watched the game today, you saw him consistently roll out of the pocket and, when necessary, make the correct decision and throw the ball away. The fact that he struggles when taking snaps from under center is why you sit him for a year and give him time to become acclimated to a pro offense. Gabbert has everything you would want out of an NFL QB. If you wouldn't pull the trigger on him, then who WOULD you draft?

Spott
10-16-2010, 08:52 PM
I say no and I'm a Mizzou fan. Gabbert isn't ready to go pro next year anyways.

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I say no and I'm a Mizzou fan. Gabbert isn't ready to go pro next year anyways.

In what way(s) will he benefit by returning to Mizzou for another year?

RustShack
10-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah I don't think this is a very good QB year.

Pitt Gorilla
10-16-2010, 09:04 PM
In what way(s) will he benefit by returning to Mizzou for another year?I think his decision-making could improve.

DeezNutz
10-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah I don't think this is a very good QB year.

CP. /every year

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah I don't think this is a very good QB year.I'm sick of that excuse and it holds no water. Plenty of great QBs have been found in drafts these past couple years.

I refuse to let this team wait for another 1983 just so they can draft the next Todd Blackledge.

OnTheWarpath15
10-16-2010, 09:10 PM
No complaints here.

Won't happen, however.

beach tribe
10-16-2010, 09:14 PM
I voted Yes, but I want Mallet.

RustShack
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
CP. /every year

I'm sick of that excuse and it holds no water. Plenty of great QBs have been found in drafts these past couple years.

I refuse to let this team wait for another 1983 just so they can draft the next Todd Blackledge.

I actually wanted Stafford, Clausen, and Sanchez bad... so your preaching to the wrong guy.

dirk digler
10-16-2010, 09:15 PM
No brainer IMO. Gabbert is a prototypical NFL QB that plays in the spread O. He has more upside than a guy like Josh Freeman IMVHO.

Sully
10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Voted yes.
Love the kid.
But I like Luck, more.

Demonpenz
10-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Gabbert reminds me of Drew Bledsoe

RustShack
10-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Gabbert reminds me of Drew Bledsoe

Can he drop punt FG kick thing?

KCUnited
10-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Seen this sonogram back in '89 while scouting in Ballwin, MO and that pocket presence screamed prototype. That's when I knew.

Demonpenz
10-16-2010, 09:22 PM
Seen this sonogram back in '89 while scouting in Ballwin, MO and that pocket presence screamed prototype. That's when I knew.

yeah but there was some grumblings at that time as well "I will not take this lack of production! /c-section

AndChiefs
10-16-2010, 09:31 PM
i'd take him late first/early second.

Molitoth
10-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Too early to judge him.

BillSelfsTrophycase
10-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Spread monkey

KCUnited
10-16-2010, 10:06 PM
yeah but there was some grumblings at that time as well "I will not take this lack of production! /c-section
The c-section will be when Gabbert hands the ball to Charles on a zone read, carving up the womb of the defense.

teedubya
10-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Pioli has no ties to Mizzou... so, i doubt it would happen.

Now if Iowa had a QB and the janitor said he was good, maybe. lol

What are Gabbert's stats so far this year?

okcchief
10-16-2010, 10:17 PM
He has never impressed me as a first round talent. He has some really big goofy like feet though. 2nd round on I would be ok with it. I just don't see him going in the first round once he is evaluated. It amazes me how most on this board called Bradford a spread money but this guy is the second coming.

Thig Lyfe
10-16-2010, 10:34 PM
I read somewhere that Gabbert has tiny vaginas on the tips of his fingers. I'm worried it might affect his grip.

duncan_idaho
10-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm not sure he's ready to be a first-round pick. He definitely would need some time to develop. The main issue with Gabbert is that he doesn't have great raw instincts, and he doesn't have a bunch of experience, either.

Here's what I've seen (saw almost all of his games as a junior in high school and have seen every game of his college career, watching most 2x):

Strengths:

Raw arm strength is tremendous. Great spin and velocity.
Very accurate passer.
Throws extremely well on the run.
Great top-end speed
Has size
Is a hard worker and film rat
Driven competitor (Plays through injuries, burns to win, even in drills)

Weaknesses:
Doesn't trust pocket. Hesistant to slide up and give receivers more time to make a play.
Gets nicked up a lot. Seems like he always had a nagging injury.
Accelerates slowly despite elite speed

I think he's actually going to be a more effective pro than college player. The style of play fits his skills better.

FAX
10-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Hmmm. I haven't seen much of him.

I just watched a video featuring the guy, though ... about 30 snaps. All from the spread/shotgun ... I didn't see him look off a single defender ... always took the first option and seemed to lock in on his receiver ... surprisingly mobile for his size ... not afraid to push the ball downfield ... can throw on the run ... has the size ... don't know about his "leadership" qualities ...

Can he be developed into a pro quarterback? That's the question.

FAX

DJ's left nut
10-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Oh lord yes.

But we'll need to be incredibly patient with him.

As I said in the MU thread - the MU offense doesn't do anything to develop him as an NFL quarterback. However, folks that have watched him for the last 2 years can attest to the fact that he has learned a great deal and has done what it takes to become a better QB in the system.

I think he'll be able to learn anything you give him. Everyone that says "he's not pro-ready" is right. If they then turn around and say "so we shouldn't draft him"...well they're just stupid. He's not going to be pro-ready at MU, but he's an elite talent that has proven himself as a leader at MU and a freakin' warrior out there. He's from a football family, he loves the game and he's shown an aptitude for it. He has the smarts to transition to this level. He can already make at least a dozen throws that Matt Cassel simply cannot make. He has 4.5 speed from the QB position and he has ideal QB size. He's a pro-passer, no questions asked.

If Josh Freeman is a first rounder - so is Blaine Gabbert. Everything Freeman did well, Gabbert does slightly better. All the warts Gabbert has, Freeman had. And now Freeman is looking more and more like a very solid NFL quarterback.

If we pass on Gabbert, we'll regret it. He's no worse than the 2nd most talented QB in the draft (if he comes out) and a very strong argument can be made for him being #1.

DJ's left nut
10-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Hmmm. I haven't seen much of him.

I just watched a video featuring the guy, though ... about 30 snaps. All from the spread/shotgun ... I didn't see him look off a single defender ... always took the first option and seemed to lock in on his receiver ... surprisingly mobile for his size ... not afraid to push the ball downfield ... can throw on the run ... has the size ... don't know about his "leadership" qualities ...

Can he be developed into a pro quarterback? That's the question.

FAX

That was absolutely his biggest weakness last season. It concerned the hell out of me.

However, he's doing a much better job of that this season. He gets better with this every week. The season started with him looking primarily to 2 guys (Egnew and Moe). He started to trust Jackson and work him into the progression more, and today he looked as sharp as he's looked in his entire tenure at MU. He was getting everyone involved. He was sure in the pocket and going through his reads nearly perfectly.

He's not a can't-miss guy; his mechanics can get wonky and I've never seen him take command of a big game - There's some bust potential there. I didn't see any way Bradford would fail and I am not quite that comfortable with Gabbert. That said - if he develops, the kid has perennial Pro-Bowl talent.

KCrockaholic
10-16-2010, 11:08 PM
The strange thing with him is that he seems more accurate on deep/medium throws than on the short throws were he seems to always throw the ball too high or too far out in front of a receiver to give him a head start sprinting towards the first down marker. He has every NFL tool needed to succeed except experience in a pro style offense. Give him 2 years to learn an NFL playbook, and he will be a very, very good player.

RealSNR
10-16-2010, 11:38 PM
Also, I reserve the right to change my vote. Mecca hasn't weighed his opinion yet, and if he says no, I may want to ride his coattails

BossChief
10-16-2010, 11:46 PM
A lot of the things I had concerns with before the year are things he has improved on, markedly, this year.

He still locks onto his receiver (as someone else pointed out) and has no experience in anything but a spread formation and can use some work on mechanics...luckily, those are things we have just the guy for...

I don't think he will come out this year, but I wouldn't be opposed to taking him with our first rounder if he is there... but we should be prepared to wait on him for AT LEAST one year before he should take the field.

He is a raw, two year spread formation starter with huge upside.

BryanBusby
10-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Thinking over it, I'm honestly not sure where Gabbert would go if he declared. He really doesn't come across as a first round talent currently, but right now this QB class looks asstacular.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 01:11 AM
Yes. I hate Pinkel's "offense", but I love how Gabbert overcomes it and throws money like he did today.

Kid has a HUGE future under the right Pro Coaches.

/No Homer

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-17-2010, 01:21 AM
You cannot bash Gabbert for getting "nicked" when he played through an injury that would knock most guys out for a month. He's never missed any significant time due to injury at the college level. More importantly, he's displayed an amazing level of toughness.

Playing through that high ankle sprain for a month was every bit as ballsy as Rivers playing on a braced ACL tear for a game.

No, he should not start right away, but if you were making a QB in a lab, you'd make Blaine Gabbert.

And the difference between he and Bradford is that Gabbert is taller, faster, thicker, more durable, and he has a much stronger arm.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 01:44 AM
You cannot bash Gabbert for getting "nicked" when he played through an injury that would knock most guys out for a month. He's never missed any significant time due to injury at the college level. More importantly, he's displayed an amazing level of toughness.

Playing through that high ankle sprain for a month was every bit as ballsy as Rivers playing on a braced ACL tear for a game.

No, he should not start right away, but if you were making a QB in a lab, you'd make Blaine Gabbert.

And the difference between he and Bradford is that Gabbert is taller, faster, thicker, more durable, and he has a much stronger arm.

And, he LOOKS the part too. When I first tuned in and saw him sitting on the bench, going over something with another player, the first thing that popped in to my mind's eye was him in a Chiefs uniform.

Yeah, it's not relevant to the actual game or demands of the position, but at least Blaine didn't look like a fucking Howdy Doody retard unlike our current "QB".

:D

RealSNR
10-17-2010, 01:47 AM
And, he LOOKS the part too. When I first tuned in and saw him sitting on the bench, going over something with another player, the first thing that popped in to my mind's eye was him in a Chiefs uniform.

Yeah, it's not relevant to the actual game or demands of the position, but at least Blaine didn't look like a fucking Howdy Doody retard unlike our current "QB".

:DYou should apologize to Howdy Doody retards for comparing them to Cassel

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 01:48 AM
You should apologize to Howdy Doody retards for comparing them to Cassel

(Sigh)....Truth.:shake:

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 02:09 AM
Like Luck, Gabbert is not ready to take the next step just yet.

Agreed. One more season will fine-tune him.

Disagree. I want us to "develop a Franchise QB". Sound familiar? Throwing him in to the fire, if it's not necessary, is counter-productive to his development, especially if we were to grab him this coming April.

I'm a Gabbert fan but I just don't think he's ready yet. I may change my opinion after the season though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Indeed. A LOT of football to go yet.

Why?

Wow.

This.

I don't understand that. The technical flaws Gabbert has from being in a spread offense aren't going to correct themselves by continuing to play in a spread offense.

Spread monkey

I was dead-wrong about Bradford. The transition CAN be made if the talent is there, and I would have Sam as our QB tomorrow if it were possible.

All apologies, Great Llama. :wayne:

I've only seen him in limited snaps this year.. but from the few snaps I seen in nearly all of them he had zero pocket presence and in no way resembled an NFL QB. I however did like him last year.. and he has probably gotten better since the Illinois game I seen this year. But I still like Luck, Mallet, and Ponder more.

I thought he looked relaxed and poised. A complete 180 of Shat Cassholi.
:shrug:

Hug it Out Dan
10-17-2010, 02:36 AM
dumbass MU homer. Hes a good qb but hes not THAT good just yet.

while he may have some good tangibles for the position, certainly more than what we currently have now, he still needs to develop more and be more consistant.

his numbers are a product of the system, just like Chase Daniel before him. after watching the game today, one thing about Gabbert is that he leaves his WR's out to dry a lot. He makes a lot of throws where the WR has to stretch out for the ball, leaving their bodies very vunerable to big hits. He needs to work on his accuracy. He's got a cannon arm, but accuracy has been an issue ever since HS. The spread system kinda hides that in a sense. To make it in the NFL, he's going to need to learn how to make throws in extremely tight spaces.

Good thing is that accuracy can be taught and improved w/ practice. I will admit he has many favorable god given abilities that will eventually make him a top QB prospect in the NFL draft, it just won't be this year.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 02:41 AM
dumbass MU homer. Hes a good qb but hes not THAT good just yet.

while he may have some good tangibles for the position, certainly more than what we currently have now, he still needs to develop more and be more consistant.

his numbers are a product of the system, just like Chase Daniel before him. after watching the game today, one thing about Gabbert is that he leaves his WR's out to dry a lot. He makes a lot of throws where the WR has to stretch out for the ball, leaving their bodies very vunerable to big hits. He needs to work on his accuracy. He's got a cannon arm, but accuracy has been an issue ever since HS. The spread system kinda hides that in a sense. To make it in the NFL, he's going to need to learn how to make throws in extremely tight spaces.

Good thing is that accuracy can be taught and improved w/ practice. I will admit he has many favorable god given abilities that will eventually make him a top QB prospect in the NFL draft, it just won't be this year.

1) Nice...:facepalm:

2) That system sucks, it's not where his true skill-set lies, and he'll play BETTER outside of it and in a Pro...Set.

Thx!

Chiefs=Champions
10-17-2010, 04:06 AM
If he comes out and is there when we pick, id take him... Otherwise Ponder please...

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 04:10 AM
If he comes out and is there when we pick, id take him... Otherwise Ponder please...

Yep.

keg in kc
10-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Uh, yeah. I think he's the best prospect at this point in time, whether he comes out this year or next. He's going to be a big time player at the next level.

smittysbar
10-17-2010, 07:41 AM
I would be okay with the pick, that is of course if the team deemed him to be the QBOTF. As far as the player himself, he gets injured a lot, and I'm not sure what I think of him as an elite talent. IMO he is definitely not ready.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 07:44 AM
I would be okay with the pick, that is of course if the team deemed him to be the QBOTF. As far as the player himself, he gets injured a lot, and I'm not sure what I think of him as an elite talent. IMO he is definitely not ready.

Not to be a broken record, but I absolutely agree, the reason being; I can see night and day with him compared to last year. That said, he still has some things to polish and/or learn, but BOY; if you can't see the potential for an NFL quality QB, you are just biased or fucking blind.

smittysbar
10-17-2010, 07:56 AM
Not to be a broken record, but I absolutely agree, the reason being; I can see night and day with him compared to last year. That said, he still has some things to polish and/or learn, but BOY; if you can't see the potential for an NFL quality QB, you are just biased or fucking blind.

I just said an elite QB. I know he has the potential.

BigCatDaddy
10-17-2010, 08:05 AM
He is no Sam Bradford, but I'm all for taking any QB that might be a franchise QB and Gabbert might be.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 08:14 AM
I just said an elite QB. I know he has the potential.

I wasn't arguing with you.

tmax63
10-17-2010, 08:17 AM
I like Gabbert as a QB but I have seen some signs IMHO that since Su destroyed his ankle last year and the sandwich play against CO last week that he's getting a little gun shy. I don't want him to take off running very often but I've seen several 3rd down plays this year where he could of gotten a 1st down pretty easily scrambling and threw it away. And I've always thought that the uncalled QB scramble can be very effective a couple of times a game, not just on the one play but keeping a LB one step closer to the line of scrimmage on other plays as well.

Saul Good
10-17-2010, 08:26 AM

I don't think it's a bash. It's possible to be both touch and injury prone, and he seems to be both. I think he can be a better pro than college QB, but his accuracy is suspect. I'd like to see him improve his mechanics and really get his lower body in position when he makes a throw.

Overall, I think Locker is the most ready, and Mallett has the most upside. Gabbert has more upside than Locker but is more ready than Mallett.

KCinNY
10-17-2010, 08:26 AM
To be sure, Gabbert has all of the measurables that the NFL is looking for: tall, strong, plus arm and the ability to run it when necessary.

What I really love about the kid is his warrior mentality. Playing half of last year on one foot was very impressive. Looked really good yesterday playing with sore ribs, too.

duncan_idaho
10-17-2010, 08:40 AM

You've got a point. Him playing through that ankle injury last year proved a lot to not only fans but also his team. His teammates do seem to love him, and I'm sure that was no small factor.

Anyone watching tape of him playing with that ankle injury needs to take it into account. It drastically affected his accuracy (especially against Oklahoma State).

Not sure if the hip was bothering him that much yesterday, but he did seem a little more scatter-armed than normal.

ChiTown
10-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Not only yeah, but HELLZ YEAH!

Kid has everything you want in a QB. I think, much like Josh Feeman, he''l be a better Pro than College QB

DeezNutz
10-17-2010, 08:43 AM
I don't think it's a bash. It's possible to be both touch and injury prone, and he seems to be both. I think he can be a better pro than college QB, but his accuracy is suspect. I'd like to see him improve his mechanics and really get his lower body in position when he makes a throw.

Overall, I think Locker is the most ready, and Mallett has the most upside. Gabbert has more upside than Locker but is more ready than Mallett.

I'm not a fan of Locker at all, but Mallett is indeed an interesting prospect. If you're critical of Gabbert's accuracy, however, this is an even bigger concern for Mallett.

keg in kc
10-17-2010, 08:50 AM
This is a completely subjective comment, but one thing I like about Gabbert is that he doesn't look like a douche on the sideline. If you get what I mean. You know the guy - the QB with his helmet off that looks like somebody you'd want to punch in the face if you ever met. Whereas Gabbert looks like a guy who's all business during a game, and doesn't appear to have the air of a guy who believes he's entitled or special.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-17-2010, 08:51 AM
I like Gabbert as a QB but I have seen some signs IMHO that since Su destroyed his ankle last year and the sandwich play against CO last week that he's getting a little gun shy. I don't want him to take off running very often but I've seen several 3rd down plays this year where he could of gotten a 1st down pretty easily scrambling and threw it away. And I've always thought that the uncalled QB scramble can be very effective a couple of times a game, not just on the one play but keeping a LB one step closer to the line of scrimmage on other plays as well.

Granted it was only one game and I don't get to see every MU game because I'm out of state, but I saw a QB who despite being forced to execute a RETARDED offensive scheme, looked very at ease and comfortable in the pocket.

Now, there was one play I saw where he should have gone east instead of west on the scramble, but the thing I see and like is that he treats pressure like an annoyance instead of something to get panicky and careless about.

Where Cassel says, "OMG RUN TO THE HILLS"(!), Gabbert says, "Shoo fly; leave me alone son, you bother me".*

*Foghorn-Leghorn FTW.

baitism
10-17-2010, 08:51 AM
I said no. At least not this year. He needs another year to develop and then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

DeezNutz
10-17-2010, 08:54 AM
I said no. At least not this year. He needs another year to develop and then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

And he'll develop what? How will this help him?

Pitt said, "Decision making." Well, this might be the case if Gabbert didn't operate in an offense with many pre-determined throws. See: bubble screen.

Saul Good
10-17-2010, 09:02 AM
And he'll develop what? How will this help him?

Pitt said, "Decision making." Well, this might be the case if Gabbert didn't operate in an offense with many pre-determined throws. See: bubble screen.

I get what you're saying, but he's progressed a ton from last year to this year. I still think he should and will come back.

DeezNutz
10-17-2010, 09:05 AM
I get what you're saying, but he's progressed a ton from last year to this year. I still think he should and will come back.

I guess my take on his "progression" is that we're seeing a healthy Gabbert. Naturally, he's more comfortable in the system, but all of the same flaws, namely when his mechanics get out of whack from time to time, are still there.

KCinNY
10-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I doubt Gabbert will be any more NFL ready in 2012 than he will be in 2011.

Question: Did Freeman come out as a Junior or Senior?

keg in kc
10-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Question: Did Freeman come out as a Junior or Senior?Answer: Yes!

ILChief
10-17-2010, 09:46 AM
So that makes the list of possible QBs from the draft as:

Luck, Locker, Mallet, Ponder, Gabbert, and I'd like to add Cam Newton from Auburn as a possibility.

Surely we could get one of these guys.

-King-
10-17-2010, 09:48 AM
I don't see how people like Mallet over Gabbert. Mallet is way rawer than Gabbert and his accuracy isn't as good. His decision making is also more questionable. But he doesn't play on a spread so there's that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rausch
10-17-2010, 09:51 AM
Huge Mizzou fan, love the season we're having, believe he can make all the NFL throws.

But no.

He just doesn' have the "it" I'd want.

I can't really explain the "it." If he came back from 14 vs. OK or pulled off a last minute win vs. Texas I'd think differently.

Right now I think he's riding the wave of an uncharacteristically dominant Mizzou defense...

keg in kc
10-17-2010, 09:52 AM
I think Newton is way, way, way too raw at this point to come out. He's a first year starter that doesn't throw the ball very much. I would say he definitely falls into the "needs another year" category.

Rausch
10-17-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't see how people like Mallet over Gabbert. Mallet is way rawer than Gabbert and his accuracy isn't as good. His decision making is also more questionable. But he doesn't play on a spread so there's that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gabbert has all the physical tools, size, build, etc.

I just think he's he's missing something as a QB and the MIZZOU defense has improved enough to bail him out...

DeezNutz
10-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Gabbert has all the physical tools, size, build, etc.

I just think he's he's missing something as a QB and the MIZZOU defense has improved enough to bail him out...

I don't get the "bailed him out" thing. This suggests that Gabbert has placed the team in a hole and needed "saving," and this couldn't be further from the truth.

Yesterday is a perfect example. D played well, but Gabbert played better.

keg in kc
10-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Missouri hasn't really been in a situation where Gabbert needed any "it" this year, since they've played a schedule Boise State might laugh at. I think it does bode well that the one situation where they've needed him to make a play, he has. Well, okay, T.J. Moe did 99% of it, but still...

The time to judge Gabbert's 'it factor' at this point is the next two weeks, I'd say.

DeezNutz
10-17-2010, 10:01 AM
The time to judge Gabbert's 'it factor' at this point is the next two weeks, I'd say.

There's truuf in this statement, as next week will be one of the most-hyped, on-campus games in Mizzou's history.

Bowser
10-17-2010, 10:03 AM
I voted yes, even though I have my doubts. Certainly a 2nd if he decleares and falls.

But if he tears through OU and the NUbs, my vote goes straight to fuck yes.

RealSNR
10-23-2010, 08:06 PM
See anything new tonight?

Coach
10-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Well gee, perhaps maybe we'd wait until the game is "actually" over before finding out anything new?

RealSNR
10-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Well gee, perhaps maybe we'd wait until the game is "actually" over before finding out anything new?You don't have to wait until the game is over to determine if a QB has made good plays or not.

beer bacon
10-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Gabbert has actually had pocket presence the last two weeks against two pretty good defenses. That has been his biggest problem. He was outstanding tonight.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Not this year. Maybe next. Everyone wanted Locker at the end of his junior year too. Blaine has a great release, good poise in the pocket, and is good on his feet. But his accuracy leaves something to be desired, and he overthrows his receivers a lot.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-23-2010, 10:59 PM
He threw a laser to Jackson over the middle on one third and long play that showed everything you'd ever want from an NFL QB. He passed up on his primary read, stepped up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush, and threw a dart into a small window to a tightly covered receiver for a conversion in a low percentage situation.

beer bacon
10-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Not this year. Maybe next. Everyone wanted Locker at the end of his junior year too. Blaine has a great release, good poise in the pocket, and is good on his feet. But his accuracy leaves something to be desired, and he overthrows his receivers a lot.

Not really a lot. He had maybe three or four passes he overthrew tonight, and he throws tons of accurate, laser passes. He was 30-42 tonight, and he has a 67% completion percentage this year.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-23-2010, 11:05 PM
He threw a laser to Jackson over the middle on one third and long play that showed everything you'd ever want from an NFL QB. He passed up on his primary read, stepped up in the pocket to avoid the outside rush, and threw a dart into a small window to a tightly covered receiver for a conversion in a low percentage situation.

Yeah, I watched that play and was thoroughly impressed with it. Said pretty much the same thing to my Uncle at the time. But he overthrows his receivers quite a bit. They come down with it, but they won't in the NFL. I just want to see the progression and finished product before I'm comfortable putting down a high first round pick on him. It's not just money, it's the picks we'll give up getting there because we're not that bad anymore.

Pitt Gorilla
10-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Gabbert has actually had pocket presence the last two weeks against two pretty good defenses. That has been his biggest problem. He was outstanding tonight.Some idiots will claim that pocket presence can't be improved/learned. Gabbert is exhibit one in debunking that garbage.

BossChief
10-23-2010, 11:22 PM
He had a good game tonight...showed me a lot in a good way.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-23-2010, 11:23 PM
He was 30-42 tonight in windy, and later, wet, conditions against a very good defense.

This wasn't 30-42 in the Ed Jones Dome against Illinois.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Gabbert's biggest flaw coming into this game was a horrendous 43% completion percentage on third down. He was money on third down tonight.

Sure-Oz
10-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Gabbert stayed in the pocket tonight longer rather than panicking and starting to run. He has gotten better since game 1 thsi year

Saul Good
10-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Gabbert stayed in the pocket tonight longer rather than panicking and starting to run. He has gotten better since game 1 thsi year

He shit himself on the first third down of the night. He had all kinds of time, but he bailed. Fortunately, he completed the pass anyway, and the drive moved on. After that, he was stunning. I don't think there has been a better performance this season by any QB in terms of NFL posturing. He was amazing.

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2010, 07:02 AM
I think what gives this thread extra juice is the success Sam Bradford has been seeing, and the fact that Colt McCoy actually didn't look bad.

While I think there's merit in pointing out that average QBs can look great in a spread offense, I think it's time to re-open the conversation about whether spread QBs are doomed to fail in the NFL.

milkman
10-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Some idiots will claim that pocket presence can't be improved/learned. Gabbert is exhibit one in debunking that garbage.

I think what the "idiots" claim is that if you haven't displayed any pocket presence by the time you reach the NFL, or at least by the time you've had three years to learn in the NFL, you will never learn it.

BigRedChief
10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Since I think the Chiefs will make the playoffs, they will be picking in the mid-late 20's. It's a moot point. Gabbert will be a top 10 pick next year. The NFL loves QB's with his skills. He may be #1 if he has some more games like the last two weeks.

BossChief
10-24-2010, 10:17 AM
I would rather us spend a first rounder on Gabbert over a second rounder on Stanzi.

verbaljitsu
10-24-2010, 10:18 AM
Yes, please.

chiefzilla1501
10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Since I think the Chiefs will make the playoffs, they will be picking in the mid-late 20's. It's a moot point. Gabbert will be a top 10 pick next year. The NFL loves QB's with his skills. He may be #1 if he has some more games like the last two weeks.

I think his system is going to take him off a few lists.

As I mentioned before, I think NFL teams will be much more open to spread QBs. But if I"m looking at most NFL-ready, to me, it's still Luck. I still think Luck is easily the most complete QB in this draft.

siberian khatru
10-27-2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/round-two/article_d1608a60-e1e8-11df-ba1a-00127992bc8b.html

QUESTION: Do you think Blaine Gabbert displays the skills to be a good quarterback at the NFL level?

BERNIE MIKLASZ

I have actually talked to two NFL scouts about this. They love his physical measurables. Great size and speed. His arm strength is above average. He has first-round talent. But the scouts tell me he will need work. Footwork isn’t the best. He doesn’t set consistently enough before making his throws. He’s been jumpy in the pocket and it causes him to make off-balance throws and back-foot throws when he doesn’t really have to. Like all other spread-formation quarterbacks Gabbert will have to be reprogrammed to take snaps from under center. He’ll have to learn how to take 3-step, 5-step and 7-step drops as he sets up to throw. It’s just a matter of technical and mechanical refinement. All of the skills are there. The fundamentals need polish. It may take some extra time to get him ready to be a starter. But the package is there.

VAHE GREGORIAN

From what I can tell, Blaine has every tool that the NFL would seek: big arm, size, mobility and grit to play hurt as he did much of last season and has at times this year. He has occasional lapses but often seems at his best when it matters most. I’ve heard some talk about whether he could/should try to leave for the NFL after this season, but I think he’d prosper a lot by waiting another year both in terms of his readiness to play and how high he’d go.

JIM THOMAS

Gabbert has prototypical NFL size, speed and arm strength. There’s no doubt he has the physical tools to play on Sundays. What he needs to refine, however, is decision making, accuracy, and staying in the pocket.

BRYAN BURWELL

From the first time I saw him throw a football at spring practice as a freshman, I could see he had the ability to play on Sundays. He is tall and athletic and has a strong and accurate arm. He has also developed a calm in the pocket and has a lightning quick release and has the ability to move around in the pocket and escape from the pass rush. By the time he is done at Mizzou, Gabbert will be a first-round NFL draft pick.

STU DURANDO

I can’t claim to know what NFL scouts look for in a quarterback, but physically Gabbert seems to be a perfect NFL specimen with size, a strong arm and mobility. I like that he has improved his completion percentage to 67 percent and has thrived this season while the Missouri running game has been inconsistent, ranking 79th nationally. The quarterback crop for the 2011 draft is strong but early indications are that Gabbert compares nicely and could become a first-rounder.

DAN O’NEILL

Gabbert has all the tools to play at the next level. He is big, he is mobile, and he has a strong arm. That said, there have been numerous outstanding college quarterbacks – see JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf – who seemingly had all the physical tools to be an NFL star, but never panned out. I don’t think there is any question that Gabbert will get drafted and have the opportunity to pay in the NFL. Whether he becomes an established NFL quarterback is anyone’s guess. To start, because he plays in Missouri’s shotgun system, he will have to prove he can be effective while taking the snap under center, which means he will have to demonstrate the footwork to do so.

BILL COATS

He has the size, speed, arm strength and toughness, for sure. He’s still a bit raw in his technique, so he’d need some good coaching. But if he can refine his game, I see no reason why Gabbert couldn’t become a solid NFL quarterback.

JEFF GORDON

His physical skills are obvious. He is big, strong and mobile. His arm strength is awesome. He demonstrated toughness last year by playing hurt. He must develop better passing touch on deeper throws, but he is still polishing his game in just his second full collegiate season. His success (or failure) at the next level will hinge on whether he can adapt his skills to the pro game and master the mental/psychological challenges. Many quarterbacks come to the NFL and very few succeed. Another year at Mizzou would do him good, but if scouts rate him as a first-round prospect, who could blame for coming out?

KATHLEEN NELSON

If you mean natural ability, sure. He has the size (6-5, 235-ish) and arm strength and mobility that could help him become an NFL quarterback. He already has what you can’t teach. A lot of pro coaches consider Missouri’s version of the spread offense incompatible with their own styles, though, so Gabbert would have to use his brain as well as his feet and arm to adjust to NFL-style offenses. In addition he has the rest of this season and perhaps next year to hone skills such as knowing when to run and when to throw it away. He also has to stay healthy, which isnt’t exactly a skill. But Missouri and Rams fans saw how repeated injuries cost Danario Alexander, a guy with all the skills that NFL scouts love who nonetheless didn’t get drafted.

Shogun
10-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Yes, I would take Gabbert over Stanzi, Mallet, Locker.

DJ's left nut
10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't understand this "Not this year, but next" attitude.

If he progresses like you evidently expect him to in 2011, there's no way in hell he goes any later than 10th in the draft. You expect to be drafting that early?

If he's available when the Chiefs pick, you take him and teach him. Where is the better place for him to learn - at MU with Yost running the show in or KC with Weis?

C'mon, this isn't hard.

Brock
10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Be very interested to see where he goes. Top 20, I would guess at this point.

Saul Good
10-27-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't understand this "Not this year, but next" attitude.

If he progresses like you evidently expect him to in 2011, there's no way in hell he goes any later than 10th in the draft. You expect to be drafting that early?

If he's available when the Chiefs pick, you take him and teach him. Where is the better place for him to learn - at MU with Yost running the show in or KC with Weis?

C'mon, this isn't hard.

I think people are saying that they expect him to come out next year, not that they wouldn't take him this year if he does. (That's how I feel, anyway.) His lack of pocket awareness worries me some, but he's improved greatly in that area over the last few games. Yost seems to be calling plays that fit Gabbert's strengths starting with aTm. For a while, I was starting to think that Franklin would be a better fit in our system. Now, I just think that Yost was sandbagging.

Ralphy Boy
10-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Can you imagine the possibility of him going elsewhere and being successful? If he comes out and is there when we pick, I'd take him. They won't because of the Pioli lovefest for Cassel.

suds79
10-27-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm okay with the Chiefs showing the balls to pick almost any QB in the first.

.... except Locker. That guy sucks. :D

DeezNutz
10-27-2010, 04:17 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/round-two/article_d1608a60-e1e8-11df-ba1a-00127992bc8b.html

Damn, siberian. Congrats on finding that many Mizzou homers, who are the only ones who could possibly see Gabbert as a legit (read: currently the best) NFL prospect.

siberian khatru
10-27-2010, 04:21 PM
Damn, siberian. Congrats on finding that many Mizzou homers, who are the only ones who could possibly see Gabbert as a legit (read: currently the best) NFL prospect.

Um ... ok. :huh::shrug:

RustShack
10-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I would rather us spend a first rounder on Gabbert over a second rounder on Stanzi.

Me too. He is the exact type of qb I would draft with a good team and bench him for at least a year and groom him. He has it. He just needs coached up a little more for the NFL. I think he will really struggle if he goes to a bad team that starts him day one though.

KcMizzou
10-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Me too. He is the exact type of qb I would draft with a good team and bench him for at least a year and groom him. He has it. He just needs coached up a little more for the NFL. I think he will really struggle if he goes to a bad team that starts him day one though.Didn't you say he was the most overrated QB in the Big 12?

Edit: Err... most overrated in the nation.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6989190&postcount=7

Mecca
10-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Can you imagine the possibility of him going elsewhere and being successful? If he comes out and is there when we pick, I'd take him. They won't because of the Pioli lovefest for Cassel.

Couldn't you make this argument about Josh Freeman since he's a local guy too?

10-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I don't know enough about him to weight in on it.

LiL stumppy
10-27-2010, 04:45 PM

He's everything you want in an NFL QB because he threw a laser overt he middle on 3rd and long?

Oh God, thos homerism in this thread is sickning.

DeezNutz
10-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Um ... ok. :huh::shrug:

Come on, dude. Who started this thread?

I was mocking the bullshit responses by some who dismiss Gabbert simply b/c he's at Mizzou.

As I've said for a long time now, he's the most talented pro-prospect in college right now.

RustShack
10-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Didn't you say he was the most overrated QB in the Big 12?

Edit: Err... most overrated in the nation.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6989190&postcount=7

I've never doubted his physical tools. Hence why you sit him and groom him.

Hug it Out Dan
10-27-2010, 07:05 PM
this board in this thread has gone full retard.

Frazod
10-27-2010, 07:19 PM
He's everything you want in an NFL QB because he threw a laser overt he middle on 3rd and long?

So what was your opinion of his performance Saturday night, Gooner boy?

KcMizzou
10-27-2010, 07:32 PM
Couldn't you make this argument about Josh Freeman since he's a local guy too?I saw Freeman play a fair bit. Every game against Mizzou, and any game that was on TV when I wasn't busy. (I'm pretty Big 12-centric as a college football fan)

Honestly, I thought he was overrated going into the draft. So far, it looks like I was very wrong about that.

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Yes. All day Yes and twice on Sunday.

KcMizzou
10-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Oh, hey LiL stumppy...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/472790/bradford_medium.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/472794/bradford2_medium.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-27-2010, 08:25 PM

No you trisomy 23 suffering dumbass, that play is indicative of his talent level. Were it an anomaly, it wouldn't mean much, but given the consistent ability that he's shown, it's a nice peak into his ability.

Now go back to scrubbing our cleat marks off your jerseys.

LoneWolf
10-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Chiefs have too many other needs to draft a QB in the first round that wouldn't start his first year. I'd take him in the second round though. Keep Cassel as the starter and let Gabbert learn from Weiss for a year.

Frazod
10-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Oh, hey LiL stumppy...

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/472790/bradford_medium.jpg

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/472794/bradford2_medium.jpg

LMAO I was wondering when these would surface.

jbwm89
10-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Chiefs have too many other needs to draft a QB in the first round that wouldn't start his first year. I'd take him in the second round though. Keep Cassel as the starter and let Gabbert learn from Weiss for a year.

He probably wont last until the second round, especially if he stays another year.

Personally I like Gabbert I have a couple classes with him and he seems like a pretty humble and intelligent guy. I don't know if that is going to translate to a great pro but some smarts, good intangibles and his physical characteristics give him a good shot. The area he needs to improve on most is decision making, but I think you could say that about 90% of college quarterbacks looking to go pro.

-King-
10-30-2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone want to change their vote?

Mr. Flopnuts
10-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Anyone want to change their vote?

Gabbert is going through the same thing Jake Locker did. Nebraska.

BossChief
10-30-2010, 02:32 PM
3/11 with a pick so far as far as stat line on bottom of screen ...while Im watching Iowa be up 17-0 on #5 Michigan St!

Mr. Flopnuts
10-30-2010, 02:35 PM
He's already got more yards than Locker did though, and they're in the 2nd quarter. Locker was at home too. I'm not trying to make this a Locker thing, Locker has looked like dog shit in a lot more than just one game.

teedubya
10-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Im still pretty confident with my NO vote.

OnTheWarpath15
10-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Gabbert is going through the same thing Jake Locker did. Nebraska.

The same Nebraska that made Brandon Weeden look decent?

BossChief
10-30-2010, 02:40 PM
If Gabbert is the type of guy you gentlemen think he is...he will have his team back in this by the end of the game.

CupidStunt
10-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Uhhhhh, no?

He's fucking terrible.

keg in kc
10-30-2010, 03:52 PM
I only watched the first quarter and a half, but Nebraska spent about as much time in the backfield as he did. MUs o-line was just getting owned.

CupidStunt
10-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Probably the dumbest QB I've seen in a while, too. They kick off through the end zone so you know the ball's at the 20. You step back, continue to show the worst pocket presence in the country, then more or less spike it to the 17ish to avoid a sack? Epic.

1st round? Wouldn't piss a 4th rounder away on this turd.

cdcox
10-30-2010, 04:14 PM
I haven't declared yet (haven't seen enough to make the call) but this game wouldn't influence me negatively. In the NFL, you'll never have coverage as tight as Gabbert is facing today. Mizzou's receivers are completely outmatched by the NE secondary.

Saul Good
11-06-2010, 09:10 PM
I haven't declared yet (haven't seen enough to make the call) but this game wouldn't influence me negatively. In the NFL, you'll never have coverage as tight as Gabbert is facing today. Mizzou's receivers are completely outmatched by the NE secondary.

How about this abortion?

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-06-2010, 09:34 PM
How about this abortion?

Ugh.

GloryDayz
11-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I'm thinking he might fall in the "Lost Cause" column after today. Unless they can show us something that he had five broken ribs or something, these last two weeks are inexcusable... He's not ready for the NFL in any way shape or form.. He11, i suspect these last two weeks have cost GP in recruiting - in a big way! As it should, he has no ability to adjust...

KCinNY
11-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Throws a worse deep ball than Cassel(didn't think that was possible).

Plus he gets happy feet when under mild pressure.

Frazod
11-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Is it too late to change my vote? At this point, I'd like to send him to Nebraska.

RustShack
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Are 93 of you really happy with wasting a first round pick on this guy? ROFL

GloryDayz
11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
And right now GP is telling him, "Stay the course Blaine (we never adjust!!), there will be decades like this, but whatever you do, don't listen to good advise from people who want you to win, they're dumb just do the same thing over and over, on a few plays a year it'll work and you can say "told ya"." And guess what, we'll see the same cr@p next week....

cumatmebro
11-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Realistically, Blane is finishing up his second season at Mizzou; he's had 2 or 3 what I'd call outstanding games (OU, A&M, and Ill in '09). Other than that he's been very mediocre if not just flat out terrible. A lot of people will blame Yost or the receivers for dropping passes. That's fine, they do play apart in his lack of success, I suppose. However, one thing you will always consistently see is his inability to hit on the deep ball. I can't recall a deep pass that has connected all year. He is absolutely terrible on hitting the streak.

However, maybe he is similar to Josh Freeman. A big strong armed QB who is better suited for a pro style offense. That remains to be seen. However, as a Missouri fan I think BG has reached his peak with us, at least. It is quite disappointing, taking into account all his measurable and the hype. Sometimes that is the way it goes. We'll have to wait and see if he declares for the draft or not. I remember Josh Freeman finishing up his last college year pretty badly as well.

siberian khatru
11-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Realistically, Blane is finishing up his second season at Mizzou; he's had 2 or 3 what I'd call outstanding games (OU, A&M, and Ill in '09). Other than that he's been very mediocre if not just flat out terrible. A lot of people will blame Yost or the receivers for dropping passes. That's fine, they do play apart in his lack of success, I suppose. However, one thing you will always consistently see is his inability to hit on the deep ball. I can't recall a deep pass that has connected all year. He is absolutely terrible on hitting the streak.

However, maybe he is similar to Josh Freeman. A big strong armed QB who is better suited for a pro style offense. That remains to be seen. However, as a Missouri fan I think BG has reached his peak with us, at least. It is quite disappointing, taking into account all his measurable and the hype. Sometimes that is the way it goes. We'll have to wait and see if he declares for the draft or not. I remember Josh Freeman finishing up his last college year pretty badly as well.

Welcome to the Planet. :)

Unless you're a dupe. Then GFY. :evil:

Mr. Flopnuts
11-06-2010, 11:22 PM
And all of a sudden Blaine Gabbert is full on going down Locker Blvd.

Bowser
11-07-2010, 12:13 AM
By far the worst game I've seen him play. Guys were open all over and he couldn't hit a fucking thing.

Titty Meat
11-07-2010, 02:40 AM

Bo Pelini has saved some franchises money.

Phobia
11-07-2010, 03:02 AM
By far the worst game I've seen him play. Guys were open all over and he couldn't hit a ****ing thing.

When he hit guys they dropped 'em. He wasn't great but I saw him moving around in the pocket pretty well. It was just a terrible 2nd half out of Mizzou.

Bill Lundberg
11-07-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm a Gabbert fan, but he seems to feel pressure when it's not always there. I would like to see him stepping up in the pocket more, if he can't figure that out he will have problems at the next level.

DeezNutz
11-07-2010, 08:29 AM

No. Not true at all, because Gabbert remains an extremely talented QB prospect, while Locker remains "nothing" more than a great athlete.

I agree with Bill's point about pocket presence, particularly as it relates to the last two weeks. This was not a problem, however, on the final drive of the game, when Gabbert stepped up numerous times, into pressure, and delivered high-quality throws. Overall, though, clearly not one of his better games.

GloryDayz
11-07-2010, 10:56 AM
However, maybe he is similar to Josh Freeman. A big strong armed QB who is better suited for a pro style offense.

In the work place we call that promoting somebody out of the way so they don't hurt somebody or something. This is why Jets fans rejoiced when the Hermerroid was hired in KC! I say if you can't throw the GD ball accurately, you can't be a QB in college or the NFL...

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 09:40 PM
It will never happen, but I still wish it would.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-03-2011, 10:55 PM
I'll take a beating for this I'm sure, but I predict Locker will be drafted ahead of Gabbert.

DeezNutz
01-03-2011, 10:56 PM
I'll take a beating for this I'm sure, but I predict Locker will be drafted ahead of Gabbert.

It's possible. Even NFL GMs make mistakes all the time.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-03-2011, 10:57 PM
It's possible. Even NFL GMs make mistakes all the time.

LMAO

duncan_idaho
01-03-2011, 10:57 PM

If the draft had been held in September, I think you're right. But now?

Gabbert's stock is soaring, and he's going to kill things at the combine. It's only going to go up.

Reaper16
01-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Locker fucked himself out of untold millions by not declaring last year. What a boneheaded decision.

duncan_idaho
01-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Locker ****ed himself out of untold millions by not declaring last year. What a boneheaded decision.

Exhibit A why Gabbert will be in the NFL next year...

salame
01-04-2011, 03:44 AM
http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/meh.ro5206.jpg

salame
01-04-2011, 07:55 AM
spread qb

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-04-2011, 08:02 AM
spread qb

Damn you, Salami. :p

notorious
01-04-2011, 08:30 AM
http://www.inside99.net/2003/access/teams/graphics/derek_anderson_sm.jpg

Just for kicks. LMAO

eazyb81
01-04-2011, 08:37 AM
You really couldn't draw up a better QB prospect. Big, rocket arm, relatively mobile, two years of starting experience, gaudy stats, great pedigree, and not even a hint of trouble with the law or coaches.

The only knock on him is the spread, but that is becoming much less of a knock do to the success of guys like Flacco, Big Ben, and Bradford.

I've said it before, but I think he compares very favorably to Flacco. Teams threw out the small school concerns when they saw him crush it in workouts. Gabbert will do the same.

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-04-2011, 08:44 AM
You really couldn't draw up a better QB prospect. Big, rocket arm, relatively mobile, two years of starting experience, gaudy stats, great pedigree, and not even a hint of trouble with the law or coaches.

The only knock on him is the spread, but that is becoming much less of a knock do to the success of guys like Flacco, Big Ben, and Bradford.

I've said it before, but I think he compares very favorably to Flacco. Teams threw out the small school concerns when they saw him crush it in workouts. Gabbert will do the same.

The Spread Argument is DEAD.

Do not want to hear,
WILL NOT listen anymore.

salame
01-04-2011, 08:46 AM

flacco didn't play in a spread
bruh

eazyb81
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
bruh

Yes he did dumbass. Delaware ran a spread.

Bambi
01-04-2011, 11:32 AM
This thread is a joke right?

I mean, Gabbert has had some good college games but lets be real? A first round pick?

Chiefs need a WR. Take the best one imo. Or maybe DL....again.

Bambi
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
bruh

Delaware played the wing T for many years, at least they did when I played around there.

I think they ran shotgun for most plays when Flacco transferred there.

Not sure if they ever went back.

DeezNutz
01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Anyone want to change his/her mind?

DeezNutz
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Bump.

eazyb81
03-07-2011, 01:32 PM
This thread is a joke right?

I mean, Gabbert has had some good college games but lets be real? A first round pick?

Chiefs need a WR. Take the best one imo. Or maybe DL....again.

:LOL:

My God what an epic dumbass this guy is.

Archie Bunker
03-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Potentially bad news for Rams Fan.....

http://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/45511210669588482

Hearing that Arizona will have the full-court press on Gabbert's pro day next Thurs in Columbia. The Bidwills expected to be in the house

about 9 hours ago via web
Retweeted by 2 people
Dave_Matter
Dave Matter

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 11:29 AM
Some rumblings about a potential draft-day fall...

At what point do you go get him, and what would you be willing to give up?

OnTheWarpath15
04-25-2011, 11:37 AM

He could fall to the late teens and Pioli wouldn't grab him.

I've all but given up on the idea of a real franchise QB. Not happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Stewie
04-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Blaine Gabbert is a huge unknown. Listening to Soren's segment that goes around the country to different sports media he's either loved by a few and passed off by all the others. I think Arizona will take him, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

DeezNutz
04-25-2011, 11:45 AM
He could fall to the late teens and Pioli wouldn't grab him.

I've all but given up on the idea of a real franchise QB. Not happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

I agree with this, but it will be painful if he tumbles down the board, a la Rodgers.

SAUTO
04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
I agree with this, but it will be painful if he tumbles down the board, a la Rodgers.

i couldnt see us passing at #21.

they probably wont trade up though.

The Franchise
04-25-2011, 11:55 AM
i couldnt see us passing at #21.

they probably wont trade up though.

This.

Titty Meat
04-25-2011, 11:55 AM

Hmm I wonder why?

Pitt Gorilla
04-25-2011, 11:56 AM

At what point do you go get him, and what would you be willing to give up?If he's there at our pick, you sprint to the podium and knock everyone down on the way.

Pitt Gorilla
04-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Hmm I wonder why?Where do you think he'll go?