PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Coach & Player Postgame Quotes

NIUhuskies
10-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Kansas City Chiefs Head Coach Todd Haley
(opening statement) “Tough one. What a game. Come on the road against a team we knew was very explosive and they proved to be explosive. It really was some game. I know our team gained some valuable experience from this. I’ve been talking a lot about our team and what’s critical to understand is that we are not there yet. We are in the process and we are still actually in the foundation stage. A lot of people may think that’s just coaching rhetoric or that type of angle, but it’s not. I’ve been telling you pretty much the way it is. We’re a team in transition. We’re going to come on the road and we’re going to win these big games and I think it’s going to be sooner rather than later. We’re obviously just not there yet. This was a step in the positive direction, today. That doesn’t make this result feel any nicer or better. We have a lot of guys in deep, deep pain and that’s why I’m encouraged. This team fought together. There are a lot of reasons we didn’t come out on top. One of those is that the Houston Texans have a lot of heart and they played their hearts out and ended up making more plays than we did. We did enough things in that game that kept us from winning, but we did a lot of good things and that’s what we’re looking for and trying to do every single day and every single week in this process of trying to become a good team or becoming a good team. Tough one, but what a game for everyone involved. I’ll say it again, we’ve got a lot of guys that are really hurting right now, which they sould be; but that’s a good sign.”

(on his position as Head Coach) “I’m a person that really, really enjoys coaching. Much more fun than last year. Just from the standpoint that I’ve moved further along so that makes the landscape a little different. We’ve got a lot of guys that like to practice, like to work, like to do all the things that good teams do. I’m passionate about these guys, I really am. I push and I prod, and I push and I prod, and I push some more and that’s the hard thing to do. It’s hard to keep it up. The easy thing is to just back down but that’s not what I believe in. (WR) Dwayne (Bowe) has done nothing but make progress. I told him that during the game and I told him in the locker room. This isn’t about some plays he made out there today. This is about what he’s been doing and because he’s doing the things he’s supposed to do as a football player/wide receiver, I think we’ll see some results. The kid continues to work and wants to be good.”

(on the Chiefs offense) “We’re a team where offense is an eleven man operation. The offense was able to be pretty productive at times today. One of those way was running the football, which has and will continue to be a focus for us. To be successful, you’ve got to be able to run the football. We continue to show signs that we want to be a good running team and today was an example; but it was everybody, receivers. I saw a lot of blocks. Guys were working hard to make those runs go and the backs are a part of that. The bottom line is we needed to make another play and we didn’t. That’s why we feel the way we feel.”

(on how they played) “We were playing to win across the board. We had some pressures in there. We played the way we played the whole game and they just were able to make plays and we weren’t. We had some chances. They were down a couple scores a couple times. They are like us. They are trying to become a good team, I think they are further along than us. I don’t think the record has reflected it, but I think there are some similarities.”

(on the final play of the game) “I mean you had to get the ball to the end zone or somewhere close. We just gave up too quick under pressure. I don’t know if it was (DE) Antonio (Smith) or who had the pressure over there but we didn’t have a chance. We fought and tried to get out of the guys arms but we had really no chance. We did a heck of a job trying to keep it alive as long as we did.”

Kansas City Chiefs T Branden Albert
(on having a successful day from both running backs) “Execution and everyone working together. Tight ends, offensive line, quarterback, running backs and receivers—everybody blocking.”

(on the loss) “It hurts because both sides of the ball fought as hard as possible but it’s little things in the end that cause the outcome.”

(on heading towards next week, returning home) “We just have to execute better and hopefully good things happen.”

Kansas City Chiefs QB Matt Cassel
(on his thoughts for the game) “Well obviously it’s disappointing to come out of here with a loss. I thought we competed hard all day. I thought we came out for a battle and it really was a battle, it went down to the end. Unfortunately, we didn’t score enough points at the end of the day to win the game. It’s just one of those things where you play good opponents and you have to capitalize on opportunities. We weren’t able to finish the game today.”

(on if he felt that they had control of the game when they were 14 points up) “At a number of different points in the game we felt we were in control. Anytime you’re up 14 points or 10 points, you feel in control. I think we were confident about where we were in the game. We were playing a great opponent and their offense just continued to come back and come back. They also have shown time and time again to be a second half team and that obviously showed today.”

(on a game plan about putting points on the board) “There was a big emphasis on the offense this week about having to put points on the board. We knew we couldn’t score three points, we’d have to score touchdowns because this is an explosive offense. They’ve got a lot of weapons so we knew we’d have to do our part, and that was the game plan going in.”

(on his confidence in WR Dwayne Bowe) “I’ve got a tremendous amount of confidence in (WR) Dwayne (Bowe). Week in and week out, he’s shown me that. Obviously last week he had a few mishaps and that’s just one of those rarities that happen in football. He came back this week and I was really happy for him. He showed up like I thought he would and he made great plays.”

(on the type of play drawn up for the last play of the game and what happened) “We were on the 40 yard line so we wanted to take a shot towards the end zone. It really becomes a hail mary at that point and you have to give those receivers time to get down to the end zone. We had a little pressure on the right side so I tried to flush to the right to try and buy those guys the opportunity to get in the end zone. There’s no point in not trying to get the ball in the end zone at that point.”

(on the mood in the locker room) “I think anytime you lose a game, it’s hard. We’re all competitors. We all want to win. Unfortunately, we didn’t do that today. This one hurt a little bit, but at the same time we know we’ve got a lot of football left and we’re excited to get back out there next week at home and get going again.”

Kansas City DB Brandon Flowers
(on the big catch by WR Andre Johnson) “Everybody thought it was pass interference. The ref made the call though. We can’t take it back now. The ref already made the call, so that is what we have to go with.”

(on the defense playing lights out so far this season and how the team felt with a ten point lead and six minutes left in the game) “You have to close the game out. The defense was playing lights out, up to this game today. We have to go to the film and correct the mistakes we made and see the mistakes we made, so we won’t make them again.”

(on why the defense has played so well up until today ) “We have to go to the film and see what happened. When you are on the field, you can’t see what’s going on. I just worry about what I am doing on the field at that time. We just need to go to the film and make those corrections.”

Kansas City Chiefs S Jon McGraw
(on the team’s mentality moving forward after what happened in the 4th quarter) “I think its too early to say. Everyone’s trying to take a minute to regroup and process what just happened. Obviously everyone’s extremely disappointed. We’re going to go back and look at the film and see how we can get better, but this is a tough one to stomach.”

(on how he has to lead his team into the next game as a veteran player after the most heartbreaking loss of the season) “It’s one of those things you have to develop as an athlete, to have a short-term memory. You have to be able to look at yourself in the mirror and see what you can do to get better. But at the end of the day you can’t let it affect you going forward. We’ll look at the film and we’ll be done and we’ll be on to the next game.”

(on the game-winning touchdown catch by Texans WR Andre Johnson) “At the end of the day, they scored a touchdown and we couldn’t stop them. The hardest part about it was that we just needed one stop there at the end and we couldn’t get it done.”

(on the reason for Texans TE Owen Daniels’ effectiveness late in the game) “I don’t think there is one thing that you can put your finger on. It’s too hard to say right now. I haven’t had a chance to watch the film. But obviously, he kind of exploded on us and hurt us at that point.”

Kansas City Chiefs LB Derrick Johnson
(on allowing Houston Texans to come back to win in the 4th quarter) “This is the NFL, so every game isn’t going to be like we want it. Sometimes the other team gets the best of you. They capitalized off of our mistakes. My hat’s off to them. They did a good job on offense. We have to play better on defense and execute the plays. It’s a hard loss for us.”

(on breaking the season in to four quarters and losing the first one of the second quarter) “The best part is we get to go home for two games and hopefully get on a winning streak again. They say in the NFL you have to be ready to play every week and have a short term memory. So we have to put this game behind us tomorrow and start getting ready for Jacksonville.”

(on losing back to back games) “I don’t think it’s a concern. It’s still early. We’re 3-2 right now. We’re still in the thick of it. We need to get winning again quickly.”

(on what caused the breakdown in the 4th quarter) “You really can’t pinpoint it. We have breakdowns on the defense and it’s a collective loss for us. I can’t really tell you specifically what happened but all around on defense, we need to play better, including myself. We would have won this game if (the defense) played better. We put a lot of pressure on ourselves so we just have to keep working.”

Kansas City RB Thomas Jones
(on how the offense performed today) “We made some plays on offense today, but when you lose the game it doesn’t matter. We still lost. That’s the point of making those plays; to help your team win. It was a tough loss. It hurts to play well and lose but that’s part of the game. We have to bounce back quickly. We finally get to go back home and play a couple games at home in front of our home fans. We will bounce back and I will be ready to go next week.”

(on if he thought the running game would be this successful week in and week out coming into the season) “Honestly, I really didn’t have a vision for anything. I look at it like when I have an opportunity, I take advantage of it. I think (RB) Jamaal Charles is the same way. We are friends, almost like brothers. We hope to see each other do well.”

(on if the running game is productive, the team does well) “We had a great week of practice. We felt good about the game plan and I think we executed better this week than we we did last week.”

(on if he thinks the team takes this loss as a positive even know that are still developing) “You have to look at the good things we did and feel good about those things, but you also have to take the negatives and work on those things and correct them quick. Anytime you lose a game, it hurts, regardless of the situation. Anytime you lose, it’s a tough things. You put in so much work during the week and you play down to the wire like that, it hurts. You have to have a short memory in this league and bounce back and get ready for next week.”

Texan quotes are on here too; heres my favorite from Andre Johnson:

(on his 40 yard reception) “During a lot of our routes today, they were bumping us while we were down the field. In that play, I did a go route and I knew (QB) Matt (Schaub) told me if I had a single safety that he was going to give me a chance. He told me that earlier in the game. I was just determined that they were not going to bump me around. He tried to run into me and bump me and I hit him with a little elbow to create some separation and was able to make a play.”

Did he just admit to offensive pass interference??

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Chiefs-at-Texans/80485a45-0bd5-4363-b49f-9338cdde4ccd

johnny961
10-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Texan quotes are on here too; heres my favorite from Andre Johnson:

(on his 40 yard reception) “During a lot of our routes today, they were bumping us while we were down the field. In that play, I did a go route and I knew (QB) Matt (Schaub) told me if I had a single safety that he was going to give me a chance. He told me that earlier in the game. I was just determined that they were not going to bump me around. He tried to run into me and bump me and I hit him with a little elbow to create some separation and was able to make a play.”

Did he just admit to offensive pass interference??

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Quotes-Chiefs-at-Texans/80485a45-0bd5-4363-b49f-9338cdde4ccd

Wow. Too bad the refs didn't see it this way.

kcpasco
10-17-2010, 08:29 PM
It was an obvious push by Johnson, that being said he's a badass and I wish he was on our team.

KCrockaholic
10-17-2010, 10:07 PM
**** this game. **** the Winters ref group.

Let's forget this shit, and destory the Jaguars and Bills the next 2 weeks. Thomas Jones sounds focused to destory the next couple opponents.

Oh Snap
10-17-2010, 10:30 PM
defense let us down big time... They looked absolutely craptastic. I know the texans are a good offense, but theyre not as good as the colts (more balanced, yes)...yet we gave up about as many TDs today, as we did the 4 prior games!

And also, if someone could point me in the direction of a mod...Id like to have my thread starting privileges back...

Lex Luthor
10-18-2010, 01:18 AM
It was an obvious push by Johnson, that being said he's a badass and I wish he was on our team.
Well hell yes.

We used to love it when Tony G did the same thing. You've got to give Johnson credit.

xztop12
10-18-2010, 01:33 AM
We need Kendrick Lewis and Tyson Jackson... Lewis more so because we are incredibly thin at defensive back. I like Washington more as a 4th db than a safety, where he looked very timid