PDA

View Full Version : Football ESPN asked coaches to take timeouts late on Monday night

Stinger
10-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Jeff Fisher: ESPN asked coaches to take timeouts late on Monday night
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 19, 2010 11:21 AM ET

One of the biggest reasons why a weak Monday Night Football game can out-rate game three of the ALCS in New York: Fantasy football.

While Cliff Lee was dealing, fantasy owners across the country were hoping to squeeze a few more points out of Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew. Johnson's owners prayers were answered when Johnson broke free for a 35-yard touchdown on fourth down with under two minutes remaining.

That led to some (silly) questions about why Johnson was still in the game. Why were the Titans still trying to score?

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it was largely ESPN's fault. The network still needed more television timeouts and apparently asked both coaching staffs to take timeouts late.

"Jack [Del Rio] used his timeouts," Fisher said after the game via Terry McCormick of Titans Insider. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Of course, you can also thank Del Rio for actually listening. Fisher was happy to end the game at 23-3, but Del Rio didn't let him.

"It's the first time I've heard of it," Fisher said about a network request for timeouts. "I just said I would have a hard time using them, because I'm ahead. Honestly, I have no issues with Jack or how he managed the end of that game. It's just what it was, and I don't think he would have an issue with me handing the ball off."

Video of Fisher's comments (http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-titans/09000d5d81b71aa4/Titans-postgame-press-conference)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/

Ming the Merciless
10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Maybe I am naive, but I never imagined that the networks would ASK a coach to call a time out....

Something seems wrong about that..

It is hard enough to build the NFL up to international audiences without even MORE unnecessary timeouts...

Bad move on the NFL's part for allowing this, IMO.

Valiant
10-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Hmm. I guess the only thing left is for espn and other networks to ask for phantom penalties/no calls to get games closer for ratings.

The Franchise
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
If Chris Johnson went down with an injury.....how pissed would Jeff Fisher be?

Ming the Merciless
10-19-2010, 12:39 PM
If Chris Johnson went down with an injury.....how pissed would Jeff Fisher be?

He would only have himself to blame since he had backups available and playing in the game.

milkman
10-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Fantasy football plays a part in the ratings, but the fact is, baseball is a slow game and the youth today just aren't going to sit through a game that biggest moments take nine innings to develop.

Valiant
10-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Fantasy football plays a part in the ratings, but the fact is, baseball is a slow game and the youth today just aren't going to sit through a game that biggest moments take nine innings to develop.

Most games are shorter then football games. And the nfl wants to take out the physicalness so what is left?

milkman
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Most games are shorter then football games. And the nfl wants to take out the physicalness so what is left?

Offense.

ILikeBigTiddys
10-19-2010, 01:09 PM
I think this is a crock of shit

ILikeBigTiddys
10-19-2010, 01:09 PM

ILikeBigTiddys
10-19-2010, 01:14 PM

sedated
10-19-2010, 01:29 PM
it was a joke.

Hootie
10-19-2010, 01:30 PM

you don't say

Mojo Jojo
10-19-2010, 01:38 PM
I call BS. The network works with the refs for TV timeouts. Any network can ask/demand a TV timeout during a clock stoppage. In the case of SNF & MNF they front load the TV timeouts in the 4th quarter before viewers go away. FYI most 4th Qtr. TV spots local TV gets inserts during the 1:50.

BAtheBEAST
10-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Stars & Strikes! Branden Albert and Leonard Pope of the Chiefs are hosting a charity bowling event to benefit the Make-A-Wish-Foundation on Tuesday, November 2nd from 6-9 PM at Lucky Strikes Lane on Grand Boulevard. $20 cash includes your bowling and shoes. Bowl alongside Derrick Johnson, Brandon Flowers and other Chiefs all for a great cause!

kstater
10-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Charity spam is still spam.

eazyb81
10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
That late TD by CJ2K gave me a win this week. Hee hee

Carlota69
10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Hmm. I guess the only thing left is for espn and other networks to ask for phantom penalties/no calls to get games closer for ratings.
Kind of like the Buffalo Wild Wings Commercial..

FAX
10-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Maybe I am naive, but I never imagined that the networks would ASK a coach to call a time out....

It is hard enough to build the NFL up to international audiences without even MORE unnecessary timeouts...

Yeah ... it's kind of bizarre. I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I wonder if the league even knew they were making this request during the game. It's odd and unusually strange.

Like a dog named Dick.

FAX

boogblaster
10-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Is it All Star Wrestling yet .......

Hug it Out Dan
10-19-2010, 05:43 PM
I would have told ESPN to blow me. They were up 20 pts. The almighty sports network can fuck itself in the ass. What if someone got hurt?

ChiefsCountry
10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
That last time out cost me a fantasy win. Mother fucking Chris Johnson.

GloryDayz
10-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Jeff Fisher: ESPN asked coaches to take timeouts late on Monday night
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 19, 2010 11:21 AM ET

One of the biggest reasons why a weak Monday Night Football game can out-rate game three of the ALCS in New York: Fantasy football.

While Cliff Lee was dealing, fantasy owners across the country were hoping to squeeze a few more points out of Chris Johnson and Maurice Jones-Drew. Johnson's owners prayers were answered when Johnson broke free for a 35-yard touchdown on fourth down with under two minutes remaining.

That led to some (silly) questions about why Johnson was still in the game. Why were the Titans still trying to score?

Titans coach Jeff Fisher indicated that it was largely ESPN's fault. The network still needed more television timeouts and apparently asked both coaching staffs to take timeouts late.

"Jack [Del Rio] used his timeouts," Fisher said after the game via Terry McCormick of Titans Insider. "My understanding is they needed network timeouts, and that's why Jack used his timeouts. They came over and asked me to do it, but I said, 'I was hoping to get a first down and kneel on it.'"

Of course, you can also thank Del Rio for actually listening. Fisher was happy to end the game at 23-3, but Del Rio didn't let him.

"It's the first time I've heard of it," Fisher said about a network request for timeouts. "I just said I would have a hard time using them, because I'm ahead. Honestly, I have no issues with Jack or how he managed the end of that game. It's just what it was, and I don't think he would have an issue with me handing the ball off."

Video of Fisher's comments (http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-titans/09000d5d81b71aa4/Titans-postgame-press-conference)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/10/19/chris-johnsons-fantasy-owners-should-thank-espn-jack-del-rio/

That was one game that 99% of te viewers were from the two towns playing in the game. They could still be calling timeouts and i wouldn't know - that's one boring game that didn't need to have MNF waste their time on... Yawn!!

Phobia
10-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Next thing you know BW3 will be influencing the length of games by sabotaging the sprinkler system.

chiefzilla1501
10-19-2010, 10:30 PM

I think I"ve heard that the NFL is looking into this. I think this is on ESPN, not the NFL.

Hammock Parties
10-20-2010, 02:43 AM
damnit, i didnt watch the game but barely got beat in my fantasy league because of this i guess... I lost by a measly 5 points and if johnson hadnt scored the td i would have won... he was my opponents only player left... FUCK