PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Cassel needs to talk a good game, too

Tribal Warfare
10-20-2010, 11:21 PM
Cassel needs to talk a good game, too (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/20/2337000/cassel-needs-to-talk-a-good-game.html)
SAM MELLINGER COMMENTARY
The Kansas City Star

The room is mostly empty, so it’s not a coincidence that Matt Cassel is smiling. This room can be tough. It’s where the Chiefs hold most all their news conferences, and say what you want about Cassel’s pocket presence, some of the quarterback’s most tense moments in Kansas City come in this room.

At this moment, he is sitting in a metal folding chair, the same one used by reporters asking why he isn’t better by now. It’s just he and I in this room. I make a joke, then ask whether he’s comfortable up there. He looks at the lectern and microphone and shakes his head.

“I’m working on it, man,” he says. “It’s hard. Sometimes it feels like the firing squad.”

This was four weeks ago today, and give the guy credit, he’s getting a little better. He’s improving, growing into everything that being an NFL starting quarterback entails, but there’s more to be done.

Cassel still has to meet everyone halfway.

Because as much as Cassel needs to play better — he’s just 20th in passer rating, even after two good games in the last three — there is an image problem as much as a performance problem.

Cassel and his coaches are on their own fixing the performance problem.

Lucky for him, the image part is much easier. All he has to do is read this column: free, unsolicited PR advice that will make him better-liked by Chiefs fans and success here a little easier.

•••

The most frustrating part is seeing a limp quarterback scuffle through a game on Sunday, then talk on Wednesday like everything’s good.

Coach Todd Haley likes to say he sees “nothing but improvement from Matt” and that “Matt’s arrow is pointing up” and those words are usually hard to reconcile with what we all see during the games.

Cassel takes his cues from the coach, and usually talks around direct questions and generally gives the impression that he’s content with his performance. It’s the image he thinks he should be projecting, but it’s doing more harm than good.

Everything he says sounds too much as if he’s trying to maintain, rather than improve. This is incredibly aggravating.

Here’s what Cassel is saying:

“I’m happy with the way I’ve played. I’m seeing the field well, I know where I want to go with the ball. I’ve been throwing the ball accurately. When I make my decision, I know where I want to go.”

That’s gotta stop immediately, and coming off one of his most productive games statistically — 20 for 29 for 201 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions against Houston — is the perfect time to start.

We’re a reasonable bunch here in Kansas City. We don’t expect Cassel to be Peyton Manning. We’d settle for Eli Manning, or even a step below.

But what we don’t have much patience for is the person in the city’s most high-profile job — sorry, Mayor Funkhouser, but that ain’t you — acting too much like mediocrity is OK.

So here’s what Cassel should be saying:

“I need to get better. I know that. Kansas City has smart and passionate football fans, and they can see that, too. We’re all trying to get better, and I know that I need to be a big part of that.

“But you know why I’m standing here with some confidence? Because I know I’m working hard to get better and am starting to see results. Not the kind of results I want a year from now or two years from now, but there are little and important things that are maybe hard to miss, like not taking sacks and not forcing passes.

“Look, this organization is giving me a lot of money and a lot of responsibility, and I take that very seriously. I’m not going to make any excuses. But I also know that we’re leading our division right now, which only makes me more excited about what will happen as I and my teammates continue to improve.”

You tell me: which of those two quotes would inspire more positive feelings toward Cassel?

•••

Cassel is doing some of these things. He is getting better in how he presents himself to Chiefs fans. He appears slightly more at ease, though still perhaps not what you’d expect from a 28-year-old who majored in communications at USC.

He did his weekly talk with the media on Wednesday, and made a couple jokes — about a block he threw in the backfield: “That was pretty vicious, wasn’t it?” — and even took responsibility for a loss in which his offense scored 31 points because it came up one third-down conversion short.

I asked whether he considered it important how the fans perceive him, and he said “of course,” before highlighting his work ethic and saying that if the Chiefs win, then everybody’s happy. That’s fine and all, but there still is virtually zero recognition that he needs to improve.

This is the disconnect that drives both fans and the organization nuts.

The Chiefs are 3-2 with a very good shot at the playoffs in what we all thought to be another rebuilding year, yet even after good statistical games or team wins, the quarterback takes heat from fans.

The Chiefs’ power structure is frustrated by this, whether they admit it publicly or not. They think Cassel is being treated unfairly, that Kansas City fans and media are being too tough on the quarterback.

They’re wrong about that, but here’s what they need to realize: We wouldn’t be as tough on Cassel if we got the feeling he was tougher on himself.

We’ve seen a lot of mediocrity over the years in this town. We just want to know the teams we follow aren’t happy with it.

KCrockaholic
10-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Why does he talk like he's a multi-year pro bowler who is on the same level as Tom Brady or Drew Brees?

Tribal Warfare
10-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Why does he talk like he's a multi-year pro bowler who is on the same level as Tom Brady or Drew Brees?

That's what Pioli/Haley is feeding him so it won't damage is frail little ego.

RustShack
10-20-2010, 11:54 PM
I don't know why they are still dicking around with Cassel. Both Pioli and Haley have been more successful with their backups. Bledsoe/Brady. Bledsoe/Romo(Haley was WR coach for Pioli's father in law). Leinhart/Warner.

BigMeatballDave
10-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Funny. Werent we talking about this very thing after this Colts game?

Bewbies
10-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Talk a good game? How bout he PLAYS a good game? That'd be something there huh?

RustShack
10-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Talk a good game? How bout he PLAYS a good game? That'd be something there huh?

Or plays a good game against a good defense for once at least. I'm sick of all the "he looked good against one of the worse defenses in the league so give him a chance" shit.

BigRichard
10-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Or plays a good game against a good defense for once at least. I'm sick of all the "he looked good against one of the worse defenses in the league so give him a chance" shit.

This x1000. Fuck Cassel.

InChiefsHeaven
10-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Funny. Werent we talking about this very thing after this Colts game?

Yep.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=7079626#post7079626

Here's what I said in that thread:

I mean come on Matt. How hard is it to simply say:

"I'm not happy with my play. There are obviously areas where I can and really need to improve, but we are all working this together. Mis-communications happen, and weather they were on me or another player is irrelevant. At the end of the day that's my responsibility as the QB and leader of this team. Yesterday could have been much worse, but that doesn't make me feel any better. I can guarantee one thing though, this team does not quit or make excuses. We'll be working our tails off this week because we have another big road challenge next weekend."

...that kind of response would go a long way. It's honest, it doesn't throw people under the bus and it speaks to the fans who are obviously not very happy with him. Jeez, don't these guys have media coaches?

Nice it took someone from the press this long to say it out loud...we basically don't know shit about Matt Cassel and what we do know, we ain't crazy about.

Marcellus
10-21-2010, 10:04 AM

Smoke crack often?

ModSocks
10-21-2010, 10:19 AM

And he didn't even look good against the Texans. I'm tired of hearing about how he played a great game. He threw for 200 yards in a year that Qb's are throwing for 400+. And he had one impressive throw to Bowe. Big whoop.

I can see that he's getting better every week and that's great and all, but I'm still waiting for that performance that says he's "got it". I'm also waiting for that huge regression performance as well.

You know, the one where the throws 4 picks. It'll probably come during our playoff push.

Rausch
10-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Everything he says sounds too much as if he’s trying to maintain, rather than improve.

Translation: I'm in way, WAY, over my head...

That said he's been perfect in the media.

No blow-ups, no blaming, no tantrums, no complaints about the food.

What we all want is for him to admit he's been $#it and accept his role in a number of $3it performances.

I want that as well.

But then, being a legit QB is believing that you can do the impossible every week...

FAX
10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Hmmm.

I'm watching Mutt Casscramp's Wednesday press conference and he just said something very interesting. In response to the question (paraphrased); "Do you think the heavy fines levied this week will change the game?", Casscan said, "It would be hard for me, as a player, to change the way I've been playing."

FAX

Mr. Laz
10-21-2010, 12:00 PM
don't piss on us and tell us it's raining ...

a little honesty is good

This is Cassel's first time dealing with the media and the pressure of starting. He's just trying to say the right things. The honesty will come later.

Rausch
10-21-2010, 12:07 PM
This is Cassel's first time dealing with the media and the pressure of starting.

No, it's not.

Laz, good sir, zip up your fly...

Fish
10-21-2010, 12:19 PM
don't piss on us and tell us it's raining ...

a little honesty is good

This is Cassel's first time dealing with the media and the pressure of starting. He's just trying to say the right things. The honesty will come later.

Evidently honesty is also part of "The Process"........

jettio
10-21-2010, 12:22 PM
The reason why Matt Cassell has earned his opportunity to be the starting quarterback of an up and coming team is because he works hard and believes in himself and he has passed the tests put in front of him.

He clearly earned his chance and he is clearly working hard to make it and he would get sidetracked if he starts worrying about stupid sh*t.

I think Matt Cassell will keep getting better because he is smart enough to focus on important things that matter instead of listening to people that have not accomplished much give their great advice.

FAX
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
You're a fine poster and an expert in all matters both ethereal and scientific, Mr. jettio. I, therefore, hesitate with great hesitation to disagree with your assessment.

But, I don't think Mutt Casspress is particularly "smart". In fact, he strikes me as very dull-witted and, likely, a class-1 moron. It's ironic and stupefying that, in this day and age, you can make billions of dollars as a gym-rat and coach's pet, but that's what he appears to be.

The sad truth is that some people have brains that function at faster speeds than others. It seems to me that Mutt's intellect has a very low gear.

FAX

Extra Point
10-21-2010, 12:37 PM
Matt Cassel is the short order cook that makes what Weis and Haley order. He would have been top chef for an audible up-the-middle-hand off on 3rd and 2, but he had to throw a roll on that down.

Mr. Laz
10-21-2010, 01:09 PM
No, it's not.

Laz, good sir, zip up your fly...
yea, really it is

he didn't start in college
he only started in the pros as a sub because Brady was injured(not the same)

this is the first time he is 'The Man' and having to deal with the pressure of being the starter and the media stuff that comes with it.

Mr. Laz
10-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Evidently honesty is also part of "The Process"........
haha :spock:

most new players, most new starters are not secure enough to step in front of the cameras and tell it like it is. After they experience the ups and downs and get confident in their ability to do that job then they start being more honest with their answers.

It's a defense mechanism ... it's Human nature.

ElGringo
10-21-2010, 01:15 PM
Cassell sux, and dreams to achieve mediocre. That being said, I do believe he could one day achieve this mediocrity with a little more work. I am just not sure this team is good enough to do anything with the mediocre QB Cassell aims to be.

Chiefnj2
10-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Mellinger's just mad that Matt is towing the company line and is executing Haley-speak to perfection. He's not creating any controversy that a local dying paper can grab onto and generate some readership.

milkman
10-22-2010, 12:00 PM
“But you know why I’m standing here with some confidence? Because I know I’m working hard to get better and am starting to see results. Not the kind of results I want a year from now or two years from now, but there are little and important things that are maybe hard to miss, like not taking sacks and not forcing passes.

Mellinger is s dumbass.

I don't want to wait two years for a 29 year olds QB to get it.

I can wait for a 23 year old, but at 29, that useless SOB needs to get it yesterday.

So, no, If Cassel said that, it would piss me off.

milkman
10-22-2010, 12:17 PM
RF

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-23-2010, 04:33 AM
The reason why Matt Cassell has earned his opportunity to be the starting quarterback of an up and coming team is because he works hard and believes in himself and he has passed the tests put in front of him.

He clearly earned his chance and he is clearly working hard to make it and he would get sidetracked if he starts worrying about stupid sh*t.

I think Matt Cassell will keep getting better because he is smart enough to focus on important things that matter instead of listening to people that have not accomplished much give their great advice.

The only thing he EARNED was Pioli's blind, dumb faith.

Mellinger is s dumbass.

I don't want to wait two years for a 29 year olds QB to get it.

I can wait for a 23 year old, but at 29, that useless SOB needs to get it yesterday.

So, no, If Cassel said that, it would piss me off.

Neither does Mellinger, or at least that's the way I read it.

Tom_A_Hawk
10-23-2010, 05:59 AM
You're a fine poster and an expert in all matters both ethereal and scientific, Mr. jettio. I, therefore, hesitate with great hesitation to disagree with your assessment.

But, I don't think Mutt Casspress is particularly "smart". In fact, he strikes me as very dull-witted and, likely, a class-1 moron. It's ironic and stupefying that, in this day and age, you can make billions of dollars as a gym-rat and coach's pet, but that's what he appears to be.

The sad truth is that some people have brains that function at faster speeds than others. It seems to me that Mutt's intellect has a very low gear.

FAX

your posts are just too easy to agree with :clap:

TRR
10-23-2010, 06:36 AM
And he didn't even look good against the Texans. I'm tired of hearing about how he played a great game. He threw for 200 yards in a year that Qb's are throwing for 400+. And he had one impressive throw to Bowe. Big whoop.

I can see that he's getting better every week and that's great and all, but I'm still waiting for that performance that says he's "got it". I'm also waiting for that huge regression performance as well.

You know, the one where the throws 4 picks. It'll probably come during our playoff push.

What you are wanting will not happen with Weis calling the plays, and the rushing attack KC has. Cassel would have thrown easily for 400+ yards if they put the ball up 40-50 times. Cassel threw it 29 times...

I know people are waiting for this huge statistical game from Cassel....However, it's not going to happen because it isn't what Weis wants and it isn't what Haley wants at this point. Especially on the road in the NFL. Indy threw it all over Houston, and it wasn't even a game. That isn't the way this team wins games.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
10-23-2010, 08:03 AM
Mellinger's just mad that Matt is towing the company line and is executing Haley-speak to perfection. He's not creating any controversy that a local dying paper can grab onto and generate some readership.

Mellinger sucks. Why is he so soft? I hate reading his crap. It's so milquetoast. He's not a horrible writer, but he is a horrible opinion columnist. He's just weak and uninteresting. There's zero entertainment value or bite to his writing.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2010, 06:04 PM
While I admit, he could be better, I think he gives the media much of what Haley and Weis tell him to.

I also am glad to see that he doesn't slam the surrounding players for their drops, or problems in protection, or running the wrong routes. He is a team guy through and through.

SDChiefs
10-23-2010, 06:25 PM
What you are wanting will not happen with Weis calling the plays, and the rushing attack KC has. Cassel would have thrown easily for 400+ yards if they put the ball up 40-50 times. Cassel threw it 29 times...

I know people are waiting for this huge statistical game from Cassel....However, it's not going to happen because it isn't what Weis wants and it isn't what Haley wants at this point. Especially on the road in the NFL. Indy threw it all over Houston, and it wasn't even a game. That isn't the way this team wins games.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did it ever cross your mind that the reason they run it so much and are hessitant to pass is because they have absolutely no faith in cassel? Manning had faulk and addai and guess what, it was still a passing team. We run constantly because we have no choice and charles and jones are much better options than cassel.

SDChiefs
10-23-2010, 06:26 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Did it ever cross your mind that the reason they run it so much and are hessitant to pass is because they have absolutely no faith in cassel? Manning had faulk and addai and guess what, it was still a passing team. We run constantly because we have no choice and charles and jones are much better options than cassel.