PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Sends Videos to All Teams of Legal/Illegal Hits -- and here it is

Amnorix
10-21-2010, 03:53 PM
see link. The NFL sent this to all teams, instructing all head coaches to show it to all players.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81b80962/Player-safety

Hammock Parties
10-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Damn, that highlight reel was awesome!

JACKED UP!

Donger
10-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Is this guy's first language English? He sounds just like George Bush.

Mr. Flopnuts
10-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Damn, that highlight reel was awesome!

JACKED UP!

Take Pete's music for his video "Bodies" by Drowning Pool, and show him how to make a highlight video.

jbwm89
10-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess I understand the NFL's point a little bit more now. There really is no need for the head to head stuff, my problem comes with the shoulder pad to the head hits. Oftentimes the receiver ducks or recoils to avoid the hit and what was meant to be a shoulder pad to chest hit becomes a hit to the head.

Was it just me or were the Browns involved in like half of those videos, never on the good side of it?

vailpass
10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
This sucks. I love seeing the kill-shot hits.

10-21-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't really see how the Ray Lewis hit was much different than the others. He still launched which was one of the buzz words of the video.

Deberg_1990
10-21-2010, 04:05 PM

Build a time machine and warp back to the 70's...

Amnorix
10-21-2010, 04:07 PM
I agree that hits to the head can be "caused" by the receiving player ducking. There is also the fight between offensive and defensive players to get low for leverage and, for the defender, to get under a ducking offensive player wtih the ball in an effort to dislodge the ball and cause a fumble.

The answer is that the NFL does not give a flying f**k about those issues. Their answer, really, is that if you want to do anything more aggressive than "wrapping up" the player, then you better make absolutely goddamn sure you don't hit his head. Forearm shivers to the head are OUT. Shoulders to the head are OUT. Head to anything is OUT. Launching is OUT.

And to be honest, while we can all sit here and make comments about putting skirts on players and all that, it doesn't take too many viewings of a Kevin Turner (former Patriots player who now has ALS, or Chris Henry, the Bengals player who died, had an autopsy perofrmed, and became the 50th person diagnosed with a condition caused by repeated severe brain trauma.

Chris Henry (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8497), the Cincinnati Bengals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=cin) wide receiver who died in a traffic accident last year, had chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) -- a form of degenerative brain damage caused by multiple hits to the head -- at the time of his death, according to scientists at the Brain Injury Research Institute, a research center affiliated with West Virginia University.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5333971

So yeah, ultimately, I'm good with it.

Fritz88
10-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Flick ball.

Bane
10-21-2010, 04:11 PM
London Fletcher says BWAAAA HAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA!

gblowfish
10-21-2010, 04:12 PM
Hey, now wait a New York Minute...
Towards the end of that piece, they show Jerrod Page laying a hit on a NY Giants receiver over the middle. They say "This is a good, clean hit."

Bullshit.

Last year in that game, the ref's called that a personal foul, unnecessary roughness.

NY scored a TD on the next play, and turned the whole complexion of the game.

So they may say it's clean now,a year later, but it was called a personal foul when it happened. I clearly remember that hit and that day. It killed the Chiefs momentum that day.

Talk about revisionist history!

Huffman83
10-21-2010, 04:14 PM
BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT! That hit that was "clean." according to the video was called as a penalty. Page knocked that guys dick in the dirt "legally." and they still called it a penalty.

Deberg_1990
10-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Towards the end of that piece, they show Jerrod Page laying a hit on a NY Giants receiver over the middle. They say "This is a good, clean hit."

Bullshit.

Last year in that game, the ref's called that a personal foul, unnecessary roughness.

So they may say it's clean now,a year later, but it was called a personal foul when it happened. I clearly remember that hit and that day. It killed the Chiefs momentum that day.

Great point George.

It just shows you how "open to interpretation" alot of this stuff is. Plus, when this stuff is happening at about 100 miles per hour in real time, it makes it 10 times harder to get a call correct.

vailpass
10-21-2010, 04:16 PM
Build a time machine and warp back to the 70's...

Kill shots happen every week, including last week. What do you mean '70's?

Donger
I agree that hits to the head can be "caused" by the receiving player ducking. There is also the fight between offensive and defensive players to get low for leverage and, for the defender, to get under a ducking offensive player wtih the ball in an effort to dislodge the ball and cause a fumble.

The answer is that the NFL does not give a flying f**k about those issues. Their answer, really, is that if you want to do anything more aggressive than "wrapping up" the player, then you better make absolutely goddamn sure you don't hit his head. Forearm shivers to the head are OUT. Shoulders to the head are OUT. Head to anything is OUT. Launching is OUT.

And to be honest, while we can all sit here and make comments about putting skirts on players and all that, it doesn't take too many viewings of a Kevin Turner (former Patriots player who now has ALS, or Chris Henry, the Bengals player who died, had an autopsy perofrmed, and became the 50th person diagnosed with a condition caused by repeated severe brain trauma.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5333971

So yeah, ultimately, I'm good with it.

I don't know about the players, but you sure are in need of a good bra fitting. Sissy. Don't forget: every girl needs at least one little black dress.

gblowfish
Yep, just as I thought.
Here's the game recap.
Read the blurb down about 2/3 before they start talking about Lawrence Tynes:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=291004012

Iowanian
10-21-2010, 04:17 PM
This is so wrong.

What should happen is that after a KO hit, the player should stand over the destroyed victim and look up to the Owner's box for the Thumbs up or Thumbs down to Finish him or show mercy.

Bane
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Great point George.

It just shows you how "open to interpretation" alot of this stuff is. Plus, when this stuff is happening at about 100 miles per hour in real time, it makes it 10 times harder to get a call correct.

So in other words they'll likely sit and review damn near every hit every week and possibly deal out penalties.:shake:

gblowfish
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT! That hit that was "clean." according to the video was called as a penalty. Page knocked that guys dick in the dirt "legally." and they still called it a penalty.

I agree it was a clean hit.
It was a GREAT hit.

But on that day, Page was called for Roughness. And it lead to a NY Giants TD.

Turned the whole game.

Now they're saying its clean, but it didn't help us that day one bit.

Bane
10-21-2010, 04:21 PM
It was a GREAT hit.

Turned the whole game.

Yeah so it's not gonna matter of it gets called on the field during play.You'll have someone sitting at a desk watching it frame by frame with 20 assistants deciding if the hit was ok or not.

The Franchise
10-21-2010, 04:26 PM
It was a GREAT hit.

Turned the whole game.

Yeah...and notice in the video how they cut out the flag being thrown.

vailpass
10-21-2010, 04:26 PM
This is so wrong.

What should happen is that after a KO hit, the player should stand over the destroyed victim and look up to the Owner's box for the Thumbs up or Thumbs down to Finish him or show mercy.

Yes. We are amused.

Zaiko
10-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah we got flagged for that one. Maybe they need to make this video bigger and send it to the refs so they stop calling unnecessary roughness for any big hit

Deberg_1990
10-21-2010, 05:21 PM
It was a GREAT hit.

Turned the whole game.

George, u should really consider calling the NFL out on the hypocrosy here. Send an email to the media and the league detailing this. See if u get an answer.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
10-21-2010, 05:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdlFOEZmvys

i thought this is what football of the future was going to be like

Demonpenz
10-21-2010, 05:25 PM
1:40- 1:50 mark of the video i posted AWW YOU BLEW IT!

Gadzooks
10-21-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't really see how the Ray Lewis hit was much different than the others. He still launched which was one of the buzz words of the video.

I believe the definition of "launching" is when the player leaves his feet. Not sure though…
Either way, it's a matter of inches and split seconds between a dirty and a league approved good clean hit.

tmh
10-21-2010, 06:04 PM
unrelated, the NFL was given some award on head injury awarness and prevention the same day this came out

10-21-2010, 06:16 PM
I believe the definition of "launching" is when the player leaves his feet. Not sure though…
Either way, it's a matter of inches and split seconds between a dirty and a league approved good clean hit.

The way I have seen launching defined is any upward motion. Hell, Lewis technically left his feet in that hit too.

Norman Einstein
10-21-2010, 06:27 PM
I don't really see how the Ray Lewis hit was much different than the others. He still launched which was one of the buzz words of the video.With the new rule there would have been a flag, you can bet on it. fine and suspension to follow.

Norman Einstein
10-21-2010, 06:30 PM
So in other words they'll likely sit and review damn near every hit every week and possibly deal out penalties.:shake:

Makes you wonder how the new rule will impact the teams that might have made it to the Superbowl if 1/2 of their defense hadn't of been suspended through the year.

Bane
10-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Makes you wonder how the new rule will impact the teams that might have made it to the Superbowl if 1/2 of their defense hadn't of been suspended through the year.

I get the helmet to helmet shit,but the pussification is getting ridiculous.

-King-
10-21-2010, 07:02 PM
With the new rule there would have been a flag, you can bet on it. fine and suspension to follow.

But according to the guy talking, that hit was perfectly legal.

I don't think these guys have ANY type of clue how fast football is. They really think defensive players have the time to perfectly aim at an area less than 15 inches.

Bane
10-21-2010, 07:05 PM
But according to the guy talking, that hit was perfectly legal.

I don't think these guys have ANY type of clue how fast football is. They really think defensive players have the time to perfectly aim at an area less than 15 inches.

Yeah but they showed that Ray Lewis hit where he adjusted perfectly.They should suit up and let the best 8-10 LB's/DE's in the league practice on them till they get it right.

chiefzilla1501
10-21-2010, 07:12 PM
I get the helmet to helmet shit,but the pussification is getting ridiculous.

I do sort of.

But tell that to Cleveland. Do you think it's fair that 2 guys get concussions and have to leave the game?

Hell, if I'm a defender and want to win a game, just knock the top receiver out of the game. Without a suspension, that's well worth the $50,000 fine if it means you win the game.

Rodney Harrison is right. Only a suspension is going to make it stop happening.

GloryDayz
10-21-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry, they just made the sport more boring.. I hope the owners counter with open statements of bonus that match monitary fines. If the NFL were really worried about the players, they'd balance-out this effort. How about making crossing routes more than 5 yards down the field (past where the bump is OK) illegal? Yeah, after 5 yards, you can only run directly North or South to catch a pass. That might make the hits being delivered more of a "glancing" blow. How about making these $20M+ QBs (who are so darm smart and valuable) accountable for setting up their WRs for those killer blows. All I'm saying is that it's not always on the defender to, sometimes it's just not worth a hard hit to to catch a ball.

Next up, let's really do the right thing and send out a video of the perils faced by defensive linemen... They get beat on, cut, chopped, and cracked all game long, and their $1M salaries don't warrent any widespread public videos of their careers getting ended...

I say let them play, or, if they must, spread the wealth of accountability for safety...

WilliamTheIrish
10-21-2010, 07:58 PM

I do too. But when I see a guy with his legs hovering and arms hovering while on the ground after one of those shots, I find myself a little ... well... nauseous.

stlchiefs
10-21-2010, 08:10 PM

Bullshit.

Yep, you can even see the WR clapping in the video as he sees the flag coming in. Would love to know how the NFL responds to that catch.

Marcellus
10-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Considering how shitty they are at calls that subjective such as PI, and how shitty they are at easy calls such as holding, this should be a treat.

chiefzilla1501
10-21-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry, they just made the sport more boring.. I hope the owners counter with open statements of bonus that match monitary fines. If the NFL were really worried about the players, they'd balance-out this effort. How about making crossing routes more than 5 yards down the field (past where the bump is OK) illegal? Yeah, after 5 yards, you can only run directly North or South to catch a pass. That might make the hits being delivered more of a "glancing" blow. How about making these $20M+ QBs (who are so darm smart and valuable) accountable for setting up their WRs for those killer blows. All I'm saying is that it's not always on the defender to, sometimes it's just not worth a hard hit to to catch a ball.

Next up, let's really do the right thing and send out a video of the perils faced by defensive linemen... They get beat on, cut, chopped, and cracked all game long, and their $1M salaries don't warrent any widespread public videos of their careers getting ended...

I say let them play, or, if they must, spread the wealth of accountability for safety...

It's really not that hard. Don't lead with your helmet. Maybe it will teach these young players to form tackle instead of knocking everybody the fuck out. Most reports I've heard is that teaching these defenders to tackle the right way is not that hard.

Like I said, maybe kill shots add a little flavor, but what if the Chiefs are in an important game and a Safety puts on a kill shot on Tony Moeaki and the Chiefs lose the game and lose Moeaki for 3 weeks from a concussion?
It's good that the NFL is looking out for these players' long-term health. But as a fan, it's also good to know that there are consequences to knocking a player out.

I watched the Steelers-Browns game with a bunch of Browns fans. Nothing is shittier than losing a player for the rest of the game because of a dirty play. If Massaquoi is going to miss time from a dirty hit, I think it's more than fair that the guy who delivered the hit miss time too.

Marcellus
10-21-2010, 08:34 PM
After watching that I wonder what it was like in NE when they were showing this video and the Merriweather play was shown.

That was probably a bit uncomfortable. That play should warrant suspension. The rest of them were all borderline.

GloryDayz
10-21-2010, 08:42 PM
It's really not that hard. Don't lead with your helmet. Maybe it will teach these young players to form tackle instead of knocking everybody the **** out. Most reports I've heard is that teaching these defenders to tackle the right way is not that hard.

Like I said, maybe kill shots add a little flavor, but what if the Chiefs are in an important game and a Safety puts on a kill shot on Tony Moeaki and the Chiefs lose the game and lose Moeaki for 3 weeks from a concussion?
It's good that the NFL is looking out for these players' long-term health. But as a fan, it's also good to know that there are consequences to knocking a player out.

I watched the Steelers-Browns game with a bunch of Browns fans. Nothing is shittier than losing a player for the rest of the game because of a dirty play. If Massaquoi is going to miss time from a dirty hit, I think it's more than fair that the guy who delivered the hit miss time too.

I don't have a problem with fines for clearing using the helmet as a weapon, but if "leading with the helmet" is the problem, why not fine the Earl Campbell style running back who open a hole in the line using his helmet? I recall more than a few instances where the player on O uses his helmet, and it's all good.

Perhaps my years of playing D just makes me want there to be balance. Back when "Air" helmets were new, I remember getting the wind knowked out of me with the crown of one!! Leading with his helmet???

And don't fool yourself, the NFL only worried about money. and if it's not the money brought in by putting butts in the seats or replica shirts on some backs, it by protecting their $20M+ investment. It's not about the players (who can't even take their helmets off on the field for fear of creating an identity of theor own), it's about money...

I'm telling you, outlaw crossing routes and slants, and there won't be nearly as many hurt players... Lowers scores perhaps, but less hurt players.. so what are we after, baseball style scores, or baskeball style scores?

chiefzilla1501
10-21-2010, 08:51 PM
I don't have a problem with fines for clearing using the helmet as a weapon, but if "leading with the helmet" is the problem, why not fine the Earl Campbell style running back who open a hole in the line using his helmet? I recall more than a few instances where the player on O uses his helmet, and it's all good.

Perhaps my years of playing D just makes me want there to be balance. Back when "Air" helmets were new, I remember getting the wind knowked out of me with the crown of one!! Leading with his helmet???

And don't fool yourself, the NFL only worried about money. and if it's not the money brought in by putting butts in the seats or replica shirts on some backs, it by protecting their $20M+ investment. It's not about the players (who can't even take their helmets off on the field for fear of creating an identity of theor own), it's about money...

I'm telling you, outlaw crossing routes and slants, and there won't be nearly as many hurt players... Lowers scores perhaps, but less hurt players.. so what are we after, baseball style scores, or baskeball style scores?

The difference to me is that I have rarely seen a defensive player get a concussion from a RB lowering their helmet, defensive players aren't considered defenseless, and it's harder to really launch yourself at a defensive player.

I get that it's a violent game. I think they should try to reduce concussions but easier said than done. What I'm tired of is kill shots that take offensive players out of games. If you don't act now, what's to stop a defensive player from taking out a defenseless superstar receiver? Like I said, a $50,000 fine for getting an unfair advantage? Most players would gladly fork over that money.

Que Card QB
10-21-2010, 08:54 PM
BULLSHIT BULLSHIT BULLSHIT! That hit that was "clean." according to the video was called as a penalty. Page knocked that guys dick in the dirt "legally." and they still called it a penalty.This. Sum of all those hits in the video, "clean or not-clean" at full speed, = refs throwing flags more than ever and suspended players that have to sit out games while they await NFL to review contested calls.

The Page hit is a PERFECT example! Page would be sitting out a game or two until the league decides to use it as a prototypical "clean" hit in a example video.

BULLHIT!

GloryDayz
10-21-2010, 09:03 PM
The difference to me is that I have rarely seen a defensive player get a concussion from a RB lowering their helmet, defensive players aren't considered defenseless, and it's harder to really launch yourself at a defensive player.

I get that it's a violent game. I think they should try to reduce concussions but easier said than done. What I'm tired of is kill shots that take offensive players out of games. If you don't act now, what's to stop a defensive player from taking out a defenseless superstar receiver? Like I said, a $50,000 fine for getting an unfair advantage? Most players would gladly fork over that money.

I'm not sure if an Offensive superstar WR is in any more need of protection than a lowly defensive tackle. Perhaps that lowly defensive linemen should be afforded more protection because he'll need more years to provide for his family. If it's about the player, and not profits, that's a logical argument IMO. hen again, like overpaid RBs, I think the NFL is finding there are a lot fewer super-positions out there than they once thought.

I'm no fan of the kill shot, but I know intimidation is part of the game, and when a WR comes through your box, then dances a jig, I'm not sure that he should remain as cocky the next time he transitions through your AOR again. Even if it's not about attitude, once a players been hit hard, it's hard to just brush it off.

And in this day and ages of the WRs all the calls, and all the rules seem to be slanted their way, those kill shots might be as much out of frustration as the evil that lives in all of us... I predict we'll see a 62-58 game in the next 20 years...

Marcellus
10-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm not sure if an Offensive superstar WR is in any more need of protection than a lowly defensive tackle. Perhaps that lowly defensive linemen should be afforded more protection because he'll need more years to provide for his family.

You aren't getting the concept of defensless. A D-Lineman is in a battle from the snap, knows what's in front of him etc...Rarely does a D-lineman or O-lineman get concussion because the most common injuries are people rolling up on their legs.

A receiver running a route focused on the ball doesn't necessarily know what's coming and they get smashed high to separate them from the ball. There is a difference.

Dave Lane
10-21-2010, 09:32 PM

I bet Jesus told you to say that.

chiefzilla1501
10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if an Offensive superstar WR is in any more need of protection than a lowly defensive tackle. Perhaps that lowly defensive linemen should be afforded more protection because he'll need more years to provide for his family. If it's about the player, and not profits, that's a logical argument IMO. hen again, like overpaid RBs, I think the NFL is finding there are a lot fewer super-positions out there than they once thought.

I'm no fan of the kill shot, but I know intimidation is part of the game, and when a WR comes through your box, then dances a jig, I'm not sure that he should remain as cocky the next time he transitions through your AOR again. Even if it's not about attitude, once a players been hit hard, it's hard to just brush it off.

And in this day and ages of the WRs all the calls, and all the rules seem to be slanted their way, those kill shots might be as much out of frustration as the evil that lives in all of us... I predict we'll see a 62-58 game in the next 20 years...

Most coaches will tell you that "kill shots" can be avoided with good technique. You can intimidate a receiver without leading with your helmet.

We're talking about an unnecessary technique. And we're talking about a work hazard. These kill shots are leading to long-term brain injuries. And I don't think it's fair that a kill shot can give a guy a concussion, while the guy delivering the hit gets to finish the game.

I think kill shots should be reviewable and that if you're going to knock a player out of the game with an illegal hit, then it's only fair that the defender sit out the rest of the game too. I love hard hits, but I don't think you can claim that we should just forget that 4 guys in just one weekend had concussions for hits that could easily have been avoided.

Norman Einstein
10-21-2010, 10:47 PM
Yeah but they showed that Ray Lewis hit where he adjusted perfectly.They should suit up and let the best 8-10 LB's/DE's in the league practice on them till they get it right.

After the new rule the hit by Lewis will draw a flag. He is known for his hard hitting tactics, I would almost bet that he already has a target on his back.

ILikeBigTiddys
10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Nice find

Norman Einstein
10-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I do too. But when I see a guy with his legs hovering and arms hovering while on the ground after one of those shots, I find myself a little ... well... nauseous.

Hovering? Quivering maybe.

What are they going to do in incidents like Byrd had in the game against KC a few years ago? Our QB, Dave Kreig, stepped up and avoided a sandwich between two jets and Byrd was seriously injured. Would the QB get the flag for getting out of the way? I know this is a tragic example but the new rule is pretty much damage control for a league that has taught hard hitting and aggressive behavior for many years.

"The story of his tragic accident and remarkable recovery.

Am I going to be paralyzed?"

That was the question New York Jets defensive lineman Dennis Byrd kept asking the people around him as he lay in an ambulance, unable to move or even feel his limbs, last November 29.

Minutes earlier, the 270-pound lineman had been barreling down the field, intent on sacking the opposing team's quarterback. But just as Byrd lunged, the QB stepped clear. And Byrd slammed instead into 275-pound teammate Scott Mersereau, who was steam-rolling in for the sack from the opposite side. In that tragic second, Byrd hit head-first, shattering a vertebra, one of the 33 bones that make up the spine.

"The hit was deafaning," recalls Byrd. "I remember the feeling of slowly falling to the ground.... I tried to take my helmet off, to unsnap the snaps with my hand, and it ... it just wouldn't work right.... At that point, I began to realize that there wasn't any feeling."

Amnorix
10-22-2010, 05:58 AM
I don't know about the players, but you sure are in need of a good bra fitting. Sissy. Don't forget: every girl needs at least one little black dress.

Right, because toughness is defined by a guy parking his fat ass in a chair behind a computer screen and typing about how other people should get killed on the gridiron and how the NFL is turning them all into pussies by not letting them get JACKED UP.

Amnorix
10-22-2010, 06:02 AM
I'm sorry, they just made the sport more boring.. I hope the owners counter with open statements of bonus that match monitary fines.

NFL teams are expressly prohibited from paying the fine, or reimbursing the player for paying the fine.

The fine is donated to charity. Obviously, it makes no sense to give rich owners license to have their players generate fines while the more cash poor owners get screwed. Way to go trying to turn the NFL into more like MLB baseball, where the rich owners run the show.

Amnorix
10-22-2010, 06:05 AM
After watching that I wonder what it was like in NE when they were showing this video and the Merriweather play was shown.

That was probably a bit uncomfortable. That play should warrant suspension. The rest of them were all borderline.

The Meriweather hit was worse than that, because he also tried a kill shot, but missed (barely) on Heap on a TD play earlier in the game. No foul, which was probably the right call, but it did seem the intent was there. Then the kill shot. BB took him out of the game and had a very disgusted look on his face, only putting him back in when Page was hurt later on and there were no other safeties available.

penguinz
10-22-2010, 06:51 AM
After the new rule the hit by Lewis will draw a flag. He is known for his hard hitting tactics, I would almost bet that he already has a target on his back.I doubt it. While being known as a hard hitter he is also known as being a 'clean' player.

Chiefnj2
10-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Unknown Vikings player sums up the video:

http://twitpic.com/2zis58

DaKCMan AP
10-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Joe Paterno played football in the pre-facemask days, and now he's advocating a return to prevent head injuries.

"I've been saying for 15 years we ought to get rid of the facemask," the Penn State coach said. "Then you go back to shoulder blocking, shoulder tackling, and you wouldn't have all those heroes out there."

Of the facemask, Paterno said its presence turned the helmet into a weapon as players worry less about cracked teeth and broken noses. Instead of tackling with their shoulders, Paterno said, players lead with the helmet.

"Those helmets are so heavy that kids are in the weight room building up their necks and everything else," Paterno said. "The game has changed. It used to be shoulders. Now it's heads."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/nationworld/wire/mc-psu-minnesota-1020-20101020,0,2245339.story

Donger
10-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Right, because toughness is defined by a guy parking his fat ass in a chair behind a computer screen and typing about how other people should get killed on the gridiron and how the NFL is turning them all into pussies by not letting them get JACKED UP.

LMAO

Sucker.

Lonewolf Ed
10-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Is this guy's first language English? He sounds just like George Bush.

No one should 'tempt to hit a disfenseless player, I agree!

kcfanXIII
10-22-2010, 08:33 AM
this whole thing is reactionist BULL SHIT. its a violent sport, played by men. this is just another excuse to give the offense more of an advantage then they already have. its simple, you don't want your wide receiver getting hurt because he's running over the middle right through the cross hairs of a defender, don't run him over the middle. its ridiculous to ask a defender to not try to jar the ball loose or make the receiver remember a hit the next time he comes across the middle. JFC, just make it touch or flag football if you are that worried about it.

scenario: 3rd and 7, offense driving in the red zone, and your team is protecting a 4 point lead. a wr runs an 8 yard crossing pattern, and the pass is thrown. the only chance you have to stop them from getting a first down is your FS coming up and knocking snot bubbles out of the WR's nose in an attempt to jar the ball loose. the nfl is now saying it will be flagged, and your FS will be suspended.

this is like telling nascar drivers "its too dangerous to run full throttle so we're gonna put speed limits on you"

Delano
10-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Unknown Vikings player sums up the video:

http://twitpic.com/2zis58

Chris Kluwe - the idiot punter.

Fish
10-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Hovering? Quivering maybe.

What are they going to do in incidents like Byrd had in the game against KC a few years ago? Our QB, Dave Kreig, stepped up and avoided a sandwich between two jets and Byrd was seriously injured.

A few years ago? Like 18 years?

kcfanXIII
10-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I do sort of.

But tell that to Cleveland. Do you think it's fair that 2 guys get concussions and have to leave the game?

Hell, if I'm a defender and want to win a game, just knock the top receiver out of the game. Without a suspension, that's well worth the $50,000 fine if it means you win the game.

Rodney Harrison is right. Only a suspension is going to make it stop happening.

what i say to cleveland is "tough shit" and quit running routes over the middle. and its not like its easy to just knock someone out of the game. shots to the head being banned i get. but there is no way a defense can be effective without being able to hit someone.

kcfanXIII
10-22-2010, 08:56 AM
You aren't getting the concept of defensless. A D-Lineman is in a battle from the snap, knows what's in front of him etc...Rarely does a D-lineman or O-lineman get concussion because the most common injuries are people rolling up on their legs.

lineman have more negative longterm effects then skill positions.

A receiver running a route focused on the ball doesn't necessarily know what's coming and they get smashed high to separate them from the ball. There is a difference.

that is part of the game, and after getting hit once or twice, they know what's coming and won't focus on the ball as much. its called a defensive strategy.

Dayze
10-22-2010, 09:25 AM
the defenders are screwed; under the current rules, they only chance they have to effect the play is to hit the guy to jar the ball loose. They need lax the PI on defensive players; or extend the 5 yard chuck rule to 10 yards.

Once a WR is beyond 5 yards, the defender has virtually zero chance. I don't blame them for laying the wood on a receiver; it's basically the only time the receiver can be touched.

it's going to be sad when/if the NFL goes this route

vailpass
10-22-2010, 10:00 AM
NFL teams are expressly prohibited from paying the fine, or reimbursing the player for paying the fine.

The fine is donated to charity. Obviously, it makes no sense to give rich owners license to have their players generate fines while the more cash poor owners get screwed. Way to go trying to turn the NFL into more like MLB baseball, where the rich owners run the show.

Acting like an authority on a subject when in fact you are no such thing is rather poor form.

vailpass
10-22-2010, 10:02 AM
the defenders are screwed; under the current rules, they only chance they have to effect the play is to hit the guy to jar the ball loose. They need lax the PI on defensive players; or extend the 5 yard chuck rule to 10 yards.

Once a WR is beyond 5 yards, the defender has virtually zero chance. I don't blame them for laying the wood on a receiver; it's basically the only time the receiver can be touched.

Yep. Get ready to see a whole lot of blown ACLs as the new rules drive hits straight to the knees.

Pablo
10-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I bet Jesus told you to say that.Relevant post is relevant.

Demonpenz
10-22-2010, 10:11 AM
I like the violence. I don't way my time and money to see people just running around.

Pablo
10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I like the violence. I don't way my time and money to see people just running around.THEN Y DONT U JUST GO WATCH UFC OR SUMFIN IF U JUST WANNA WATCH PPL GET HURT?

Norman Einstein
10-22-2010, 10:21 AM
A few years ago? Like 18 years?

I guess you missed the point in question. If the same type of incident occured in a game, and two members of the same team hit helmet to helmet and injured one or both of them, would there be a fine an suspension?

Remember, in the video it said the whole fault was on the guy hitting. In the case I noted the QB stepped up into the pocket and the two jets crashed. Deberg's fault for moving? Byrd's fault for aiming in a manner unfitting of the new rule?

Just taking a circumstance from way back and asking how the same type of incident would be treated under this new rule.

Norman Einstein
10-22-2010, 10:22 AM

Flag football anyone?

Amnorix
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
LMAO

Sucker.

Gah. I honestly did spend 10 seconds debating whether you were baiting me or not.

I see I lost on that one. :shake:

vailpass
10-22-2010, 10:55 AM
Gah. I honestly did spend 10 seconds debating whether you were baiting me or not.

:D Dude, you KNOW by now how Donger rolls.

Amnorix
10-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Acting like an authority on a subject when in fact you are no such thing is rather poor form.

I'm not an authority, but I believe I'm right. I see you criticize me, but don't say what, if anything, of what I said was inaccurate.

Amnorix
10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
:D Dude, you KNOW by now how Donger rolls.

Yes, which is what gave rise to the 10 second pause. But I read all these other moronic posts and was getting annoyed and then he cast his bait out there and I got hooked like a complete fool.

But at least I admit it.

And no doubt I'll get my revenge, someday....

(yeah, that's it)

Donger
10-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Sorry, but consider it your penance for the history thread.

Hydrae
10-22-2010, 11:06 AM
this whole thing is reactionist BULL SHIT. its a violent sport, played by men. this is just another excuse to give the offense more of an advantage then they already have. its simple, you don't want your wide receiver getting hurt because he's running over the middle right through the cross hairs of a defender, don't run him over the middle. its ridiculous to ask a defender to not try to jar the ball loose or make the receiver remember a hit the next time he comes across the middle. JFC, just make it touch or flag football if you are that worried about it.

scenario: 3rd and 7, offense driving in the red zone, and your team is protecting a 4 point lead. a wr runs an 8 yard crossing pattern, and the pass is thrown. the only chance you have to stop them from getting a first down is your FS coming up and knocking snot bubbles out of the WR's nose in an attempt to jar the ball loose. the nfl is now saying it will be flagged, and your FS will be suspended.

this is like telling nascar drivers "its too dangerous to run full throttle so we're gonna put speed limits on you"

See the restrictor plate races at Daytona and Talledega. :D

vailpass
10-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Yes, which is what gave rise to the 10 second pause. But I read all these other moronic posts and was getting annoyed and then he cast his bait out there and I got hooked like a complete fool.

But at least I admit it.

And no doubt I'll get my revenge, someday....

(yeah, that's it)

:D Donger's good at that.

veist
10-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I personally don't have a problem with them wanting to try to reduce the number of violent blows to the head that a player has received. The information just keeps pouring in on how damaging it is and they have to at least look like they're paying attention to it.

Amnorix
10-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Sorry, but consider it your penance for the history thread.

A little over two months and I'll release you from my hyponotic gaze. Errr...thread.

Donger and the history thread...a daily event

http://media.techeblog.com/images/mouse_trap.jpg

Donger
10-22-2010, 11:20 AM
A little over two months and I'll release you from my hyponotic gaze. Errr...thread.

Donger and the history thread...a daily event

http://media.techeblog.com/images/mouse_trap.jpg

LMAO

Apropos.

MMXcalibur
10-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Vikings punter Chris Kluwe's take:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/10/500x_vikingspunter.jpg

jerseys01
10-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Is it true..Where there are selling jerseys.?

Jerm
10-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Has there been a set of guidelines released to fines, suspensions, etc?

I'm wondering if we'll start seeing more ejections now to go with these hits...might crack down on it some.

kstater
10-22-2010, 01:15 PM

Nascar slowed down the cars well before the NFL limited helmet to helmet hits.

Pablo
10-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Nascar slowed down the cars well before the NFL limited helmet to helmet hits.Don't interject NASCAR facts into this football thread like people actually care.

vailpass
10-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Don't interject NASCAR facts into this football thread like people actually care.

X10

veist
10-22-2010, 04:14 PM
Nascar slowed down the cars well before the NFL limited helmet to helmet hits.

You want to compare it to racing, it'd be like getting guys to wear the HANS which took more than a dozen deaths--from injuries it specifically is designed to prevent--in major racing before being fully mandated by all major racing sanctioning bodies.

vailpass
10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
You want to compare it to racing, it'd be like getting guys to wear the HANS which took more than a dozen deaths--from injuries it specifically is designed to prevent--in major racing before being fully mandated by all major racing sanctioning bodies.

Don't interject NASCAR facts into this football thread like people actually care.
n00b

Donger
10-22-2010, 04:20 PM
NASCAR is horrible. Formula One is far superior in every way.

Pablo
10-22-2010, 04:26 PM
NASCAR is horrible. Formula One is far superior in every way.Incorrect. They're both automobile racing. Which, by default, is boring as shit.

-King-
10-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Incorrect. They're both automobile racing. Which, by default, is boring as shit.

ROFLROFLROFL This.

patteeu
10-22-2010, 07:13 PM
The way I have seen launching defined is any upward motion. Hell, Lewis technically left his feet in that hit too.

That Ray Lewis guy gets away with murder.

kcfanXIII
10-23-2010, 01:52 AM
See the restrictor plate races at Daytona and Talledega. :D

that limit them to just under 200 mph? ya, i was referring to more like a 100 mph speed limit.

edit: just making a metaphor how boring it will be watching 68-61 arena league type scores, not trying to hijack.

redgoldexpress
10-23-2010, 12:59 PM
i have a quick question then if all contact to the head is illegal, every running back that stiff-arms a would be tackler should be fined and suspended as well. The way I see it is a defender never knows when you will put your hand on the head and jar the defenders neck backwards, so i believe that would be a defenseless player.

GloryDayz
10-24-2010, 12:45 PM

When you get rolled up from behind, you weren't defenseless? I disagree. You aren't engaged with the player who hurts you, so i'd say you're more defenseless than the WR who should know the coverage and should expect a hit from "that" direction. And I liked What Howie Long said today, you can tell he played for a year ot two... And at the half ot today's game, they sure did ge tthe affect they were looking for!