PDA

View Full Version : Science Moon Not Only Has Water, but Lots of It

Donger
10-22-2010, 10:41 AM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303339504575566194097878552.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEADNewsCollection

There is a lot more water on the moon than previously believed, according to an analysis of NASA data being published Friday, a finding that may bolster the case for a manned base on the lunar surface.

The discovery grew out of an audacious experiment last year, when the National Aeronautics and Space Administration slammed a spent-fuel rocket into a lunar crater at 5,600 miles an hour, and then used a pair of orbiting satellites to analyze the debris thrown off by the impact. They discovered that the crater contained water in the form of ice, plus a host of other resources, including hydrogen, ammonia, methane, mercury, sodium and silver.

NASA announced its groundbreaking discovery of lunar water last November. Now, a more detailed analysis of the data—the subject of six research papers being published in the journal Science—concludes that there is a lot more water on the moon than anyone expected, about twice the concentrations seen in the Sahara Desert.

"It's really wet," said Anthony Colaprete, co-author of one of the Science papers and a space scientist at NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, Calif. He and his colleagues estimate that 5.6% of the total mass of the targeted lunar crater's soil consists of water ice. In other words, 2,200 pounds of moon dirt would yield a dozen gallons of water.

The presence of water doesn't make it more likely that there ever was life on the moon, as the location studied is among the coldest in the solar system. But the large quantity boosts the case for a manned lunar base from which to launch other interplanetary adventures. Water is crucial because its components, hydrogen and oxygen, are key ingredients for rocket fuel. Oxygen can also be extracted from water to make breathable air.

Finding a water source on the moon has long been a dream, because it could save on the expense of transporting it from earth. A bottle of water on the moon would run about $50,000, according to NASA, because that is what it costs, per pound, to launch anything to earth's nearest neighbor.

The U.S. likely won't be involved in manned voyages to the moon anytime soon. President Barack Obama recently canceled a NASA program to return astronauts to the lunar surface a decade from now. The agency, however, is working on the grander, longer-term prize of a manned trip to Mars.

But other countries are gearing up. China has pledged to land astronauts on the moon by 2025, and India has plans to do the same by 2020. Japan wants to establish an unmanned moon base in a decade, potentially setting the stage for a manned mission later. So far, only the U.S. has sent astronauts to the moon.

NASA chose its impact site carefully. Because of the tilt of the moon's axis, the floors of large craters at either pole haven't received direct sunlight for billions of years. NASA's target was a crater, Cabeus, near the southern pole.

Cabeus is a cosmic trap. Any material that lands there sticks. "There's almost no energy to warm up the molecules, so that they can't bounce off again," said G. Randall Gladstone, co-author of one of the Science papers and a planetary scientist at the nonprofit Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio.

Dr. Gladstone and others believe that Cabeus contains cosmic material that has accumulated over a billion years or more. Scientists know that most of the moon is almost entirely dry. But some remote observations had suggested that water might be present at cold-trap regions of the moon.

The quantity of water discovered was 50% greater than NASA's initial estimates. Other measurements suggest there's even a "lunar permafrost" covering about 30% of the southern polar region of the moon, with ice lying just below the surface.

In its search for lunar water, NASA launched an Atlas V rocket stacked with an upper-stage rocket known as Centaur. Above it sat the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite, or LCROSS, roughly the size of a Volkswagen Beetle. Atop that sat another satellite, the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO.

Pablo
10-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Evian first to market Moon Water

Let this water quench your thirst with a taste that's out of this world!

Bugeater
10-22-2010, 10:44 AM
M-O-O-N

That spells moon.

Rain Man
10-22-2010, 10:52 AM
It's still amazing to me that no other country has been to the moon. You'd think that 40 years after our guys did it, someone else would've done it.

Pablo
10-22-2010, 10:54 AM
It's still amazing to me that no other country has been to the moon. You'd think that 40 years after our guys did it, someone else would've done it.As soon as the Sudanese get that elephant dung powered shopping cart in working order, watch out world.

kepp
10-22-2010, 10:57 AM
The discovery grew out of an audacious experiment last year, when the National Aeronautics and Space Administration slammed a spent-fuel rocket into a lunar crater at 5,600 miles an hour, and then used a pair of orbiting satellites to analyze the debris thrown off by the impact.

"Unfortunately, this experiment threw the moon out of it's usual orbit and it is now scheduled to collide with the earth in January of 2012."

Otter
10-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Desalination - Look it up

Our problem isn't water, it's stupid people who need it and how Darwinism is being taken out the equation.

Donger
10-22-2010, 11:01 AM
It's still amazing to me that no other country has been to the moon. You'd think that 40 years after our guys did it, someone else would've done it.

China will, and before we go back.

LaChapelle
10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Moonal warming will take care of that

gblowfish
10-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm sure fifty years from now a bottle of water in Arrowhead will be more expensive than buying one on the moon.

Hydrae
10-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Silver? Woohoo, the next great mining rush!

38yrsfan
10-22-2010, 11:42 AM
The water is part of the 2% milk used to make the cheese ....

Zaiko
10-22-2010, 11:45 AM
The question is how many billions they spent to find that out..

Bowser
10-22-2010, 11:50 AM
And people thought I was stupid when I sunk 100 grand into property claims on the moon back int he 90's.......

Donger
10-22-2010, 11:51 AM
The question is how many billions they spent to find that out..

$79 million.

Coach
10-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Cool.

Glass of water, please.

Sofa King
10-22-2010, 12:05 PM

that was my first thought. Moon silver has got to be very spendy.

Stewie
10-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Wow! Lots of it? Who writes this crap? My couch has "lots" of water in it. Wanna come over and wring it out?

cdcox
10-22-2010, 01:18 PM
And the environmental pillaging of the moon begins.

Goldmember
10-22-2010, 01:58 PM

I know, I thought the Mexicans would have crossed the "border" by now.

Demonpenz
10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
we love da mooon

HopDavid
10-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Wow! Lots of it? Who writes this crap? My couch has "lots" of water in it. Wanna come over and wring it out?

Your couch may have some but not in the form of water ice. Or maybe you just spilled a Circle K fountain drink on it..

Water ice is easier to get water from.

Some of the craters are thought to have sheets of pure water ice two yards (or more) thick. This wasn't detected by LCROSS but by the mini-SAR radar on the Lunar Reconnaissance orbiter and the Chandrayann-1 orbiter.

Hydrae
10-22-2010, 02:05 PM
Your couch may have some but not in the form of water ice. Or maybe you just spilled a Circle K fountain drink on it..

Water ice is easier to get water from.

Some of the craters are thought to have sheets of pure water ice two yards (or more) thick. This wasn't detected by LCROSS but by the mini-SAR radar on the Lunar Reconnaissance orbiter and the Chandrayann-1 orbiter.

Interesting first post on a football message board.

Welcome aboard!

jbwm89
10-22-2010, 02:06 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303339504575566194097878552.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_LEADNewsCollection

"It's really wet," said Anthony Colaprete, co-author of one of the Science papers and a space scientist at NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett Field, Calif. He and his colleagues estimate that 5.6% of the total mass of the targeted lunar crater's soil consists of water ice. In other words, 2,200 pounds of moon dirt would yield a dozen gallons of water.

How scientific

HemiEd
10-22-2010, 04:06 PM

I noticed they mentioned Silver, but no mention of gold. Hmmm, now that would be silly to mention, wouldn't it?

Discuss Thrower
10-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Helium-3 would be worth much more than any precious metal found... Though I imagine a vein of titanium or silicon would be just as valuable.

Adept Havelock
10-22-2010, 04:40 PM
That's great news. I'm sure Mike, Manny, Wyoming,and Professor De La Plaz will be thrilled to hear it.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5381/tanstaafl.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/tanstaafl.jpg/)

Helium-3 would be worth much more than any precious metal found... Though I imagine a vein of titanium or silicon would be just as valuable.

Yes, indeed. Of course, if you have water, you can make LOX. Manufacture LOX and the moon can be a springboard at the top of the well to Helium-3 elsewhere.

FAX
10-22-2010, 04:41 PM
I get the LOX part, you need water for that. But, where do we get moon bagels?

FAX

Tribal Warfare
10-22-2010, 04:57 PM
How scientific

I was laughing my ass off at that comment too

Donger
10-22-2010, 04:59 PM
How scientific

I suspect that article wasn't exactly written under the guise of a scientific paper. It's been dumbed-down a tad for the mouth-breathers.

JD10367
10-22-2010, 05:10 PM
There'll be a Wal-Mart up there before we know it.