PDA

View Full Version : Football Ranking the Quarterbacks of the NFL

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 01:21 PM
1. Peyton Manning- clearly the best
2. Tom Brady - clearly 2nd best
3. Drew Brees - hasn't been as great this season, but team is still winning and he is still worthy of #3
4. Phillip Rivers - despite being 2-4, Rivers still plays at a very high level. If he keeps crying too much, he could drop
5. Matt Shaub - he's a fine QB, he tore apart one of the best defenses last week, led a comeback drive ending with a long TD pass with 30 seconds left for the win and he is 4-2
6. Aaron Rodgers - his team is winning and he is clearly one of the top QBs in this league
7. Matt Ryan - his team is 4-2, Ryan is a playmaker and worthy of this spot and he's only going to get better.
8. Big Ben Roethlesberger - I probably misspelled his last name, but Big Ben proved last week that he is still a top QB in this league and usually QBs who win 2 superbowls get put in the top 10.
9. Eli Manning - I hate to put him this high, but his team is one of the best and he has been playing well. 3 straight wins after getting their asses kicked 2 games in a row, way to bounce back.
10. Michael Vick - the guy is a game changer and a playmaker. He is a better passer than he has been and can still cause problems with his feet. The guy knows how to win.
10. Mark Sanchez - he's playing the role of a game manager, but he's obviously doing it well. Currently his team is the best in the NFL and he plays efficiently.
11. Joe Flacco - his team is on top of their game, Flacco had 1 terrible game this season but has bounced back and now is playing well again.
12. Jay Cutler - I wasn't sure if I should put him this high, but despite being sacked over and over again, he's not making many mistakes - at least not one's that actually count ;) and his team is winning.
13. Donovan Mcnabb - he throws a ton of yards, but not many TDs. I love the guy, he doesn't exactly have the best WRs to throw to and he's helping a crappy team win games. The Redskins were terrible last season and they added McNabb and now they are starting to win. Coincidence? I think not.
14. Tony Romo - I know all you think that he's a top 5, but his team is 1-4 and Romo has thrown 5 interceptions in the past 2 games. The Cowboys are in a free fall and Romo's mistakes haven't helped that cause.
15. Vince Young - the guy has been inconsisent throughout his career, benched multiple times and back to starting. He often wins though.
15. Chad Henne - he hasn't been all that impressive honestly. But he's doing a decent job on a winning team.
16. David Garrard - somehow the Jags have pulled out some wins, Garrard is a game manager and nothing more than that, but he has played well and the Jags will sorely miss him when they watch Todd Bauman start against the Chiefs.
17. Kevin Kolb - Starts week 1, gets hurt, Vick lights it up and Kolb is back on the bench, Vick goes down, Kolb sort of rebounds and had a great game last week. The guy isn't as bad as I thought and he's still pretty young.
18. Kyle Orton - I know almost all of you would say that Orton is a top 8 guy based only on yards. But his team hasn't scored over 20 points in a single game this season, his team is losing and he is probably the worst red zone QB in the league and his receivers get a lot of yards after the catch (which add to Orton's stat column). He's not good and no way he deserves to be any higher than this, in fact, this might be too high for him.
19. Josh Freeman - he has all the physical tools to be a top QB. He's playing well, led a comeback drive once for a win and his team is winning. I'm not completely sold on him, he's dumb as a rock, but we'll see.
20. Sam Bradford - You throw a rookie QB onto the worst team in the NFL and what happens? They start winning? The guy doesn't have the best stats, but I have a sneaking suspicion that he's a big part of the Rams recent success.
21. Carson Palmer - man, this guy hasn't ever looked the same since Pittsburgh shredded his knee in the playoffs a few seasons ago. It's sad.
22. Brett Favre - man, he's looking terrible this year. I hate seeing him play this bad, he had one good game where they almost came back and won but they managed to squeak out a couple of wins and I hope he can turn it around. The man is about to fall apart, literally, but he's not playing well. I hope by the end of the season, he'll be back in the top 10, but right now, he has to be placed down here.
23. Shaun Hill - He's up and down with me, some games he looks impressive and others not so much. To be fair, the Lions should have at least 1 more win this season and he does have the league's most gifted WR to throw to, but he's been pretty good.
24. Ryan Fitzpatrick - I know you guys will take one look at his 99.9 QB rating and scream, WOW YOUR AND IDIOT. But his team is 0-5 and he doesn't exactly light up the stat sheet. He doesn't make too many mistakes, but he also doesn't make too many plays. The only defense for him is that the Bills have the worst defense and he's always playing while being behind.
25. Charlie Batch - it's hard not to like the guy, he's been in the NFL forever and plays pretty well when he gets a chance.
26. Seneca Wallace - He'll never be a starter in this league, but he is better than some starters out there has thrown some good balls this season and can make thing happen with his feet at times. But he's still not that great, but most teams would probably love to have him for a backup.
27. Matt Cassel - congratulations Matt, you are not the absolute worst QB in the league. Cassel had a good game for 3.5 quarters against Houston's crappy pass defense and went back to normal at the end of the 4th quarter. He threw a nice TD pass to Bowe in traffic, that was the highlight of his career.
28. Matt Hasselbeck - I could have went either way for #26, would I rather have Hasselbeck or Casselbeck? I flipped a coin and Cassel won. Stick a fork in Matt, they're done.
29. Bruce Gradkowski - he's not very good, but slightly better than the worst QBs in the league.
30. Max Hall - the verdict isn't out on him yet, he could easily rise 10 spots in the few weeks or stay down here.
31. Alex Smith - I am at a loss as to why the 49ers won't give up on him, but he's not very good. He throws a ton of picks and is a consistent loser.
32. Jimmy Clausen - I would take him on my roster as my starter over some QBs placed higher than him, but right now he's statistically the worst QB in the league. He's a rookie though, he can really only get better.
33. Jason Cambell - he hasn't played well and I don't see him ever becoming a legit starter.
34. Matt Moore - it's hard to tell what he can do.
35. Derek Anderson - he's quite terrible and he can thank the Chiefs for his time spent in the NFL.
36. Todd Collins - you have to hand it to the guy, he makes a very respectable living doing almost nothing.
37. Colt McCoy - I don't think he'll amount to much in the NFL, but he still has time to prove himself, he's a rookie.
38. Dennis Dixon - he doesn't belong in the NFL

salame
10-23-2010, 01:22 PM
why would list dennis dixon?

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 01:24 PM
why would list dennis dixon?

he has played enough at QB?

The Bad Guy
10-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't better than Matt Cassel. It's not even close actually.

I would also take Brees, Rodgers and Rivers over Tom Brady at this stage.

The Bad Guy
10-23-2010, 01:28 PM
LOL at Flacco and Cutler ahead of Romo too.

salame
10-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Charlie Batch is not better than Matt Cassel, Matt Hasselbeck, Bruce Gradkowski, Alex Smith, Colt McCoy or Dennis Dixon that's absurd

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 01:31 PM
LOL at Flacco and Cutler ahead of Romo too.

5 interceptions in the last 2 games.

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Charlie Batch is not better than Matt Cassel, Matt Hasselbeck, Bruce Gradkowski, Alex Smith, Colt McCoy or Dennis Dixon that's absurd

yes he is.

salame
10-23-2010, 01:37 PM
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storage/4/720717/gay_thread.jpg

Saul Good
10-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Matt Ryan over Ben? Schaub over Rodgers? WTF?

salame
10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
http://imagemacros.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/tux_picture_unrelated.jpg

The Bad Guy
10-23-2010, 02:00 PM

And Cutler has been better?

Hilarious sample size.

Fritz88
10-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Flacco at 11? You drunk?

pkane
10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Henne at 15, Garrard at 16 ahead of Kolb
Wallace ahead of Cassel
Ryan ahead of Big Ben
Your take on Clausen

FAIL

ChiefsCountry
10-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Big Ben at 8 is stupid. He is right behind Manning and Brady.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mi_chief_fan
10-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Cutler's way too high. He's officially become Jeff George.

Zebedee DuBois
10-23-2010, 03:05 PM
Trying to rank all QBs numerically will just end up in endless and pointless arguing.

Grouping them tiers would work better - even then - a top tier QB can have a bottom tier outing.

cardken
10-23-2010, 03:06 PM
I'm not sure if it's that we are going through a "changing of the guard" at this point of time in the NFL. But that being questioned, I can safely say there is a serious shortage of talent across the board in the NFL @ Quarterback.
More so than any other time in the past 25 years. I would say as many as 20 starters today never would have 25 years ago. Just a shortage of talent , a lot of starters are there by default. Back in the day, every team had a competent if not a veteran QB to step in. Nowadays your starter goes down you cringe at the thought of their replacement. Just a thought.

pkane
10-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Why does Todd Collins make te list?

RealSNR
10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Why does Todd Collins make te list?You shut your fat whore mouth

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 04:33 PM
ahh, it was just meant for fun and maybe some discussion. Not to be taken too seriously.

MoreLemonPledge
10-23-2010, 04:38 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8k3jfjeec1qaf39ko1_400.jpg

cdcox
10-23-2010, 04:40 PM
If you would scratch out the records and any mention of how each QBs team was doing you might come closer to getting a meaningful list.

Quesadilla Joe
10-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Orton should be in the top 10. No doubt about it.

MoreLemonPledge
10-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Orton should be in the top 1. No doubt about it.

FYP

michaelj_58
10-23-2010, 05:17 PM
number 7 in your programs,number 1 in your hearts matt cassel ha. ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cosmo20002
10-23-2010, 05:41 PM

That really is the best way to judge who is better --what have they done their last 2 games? By that measure, Casell might be better than Manning.

SenselessChiefsFan
10-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure if it's that we are going through a "changing of the guard" at this point of time in the NFL. But that being questioned, I can safely say there is a serious shortage of talent across the board in the NFL @ Quarterback.
More so than any other time in the past 25 years. I would say as many as 20 starters today never would have 25 years ago. Just a shortage of talent , a lot of starters are there by default. Back in the day, every team had a competent if not a veteran QB to step in. Nowadays your starter goes down you cringe at the thought of their replacement. Just a thought.

That's just perception, not reality.

There are a ton of young QB's in the NFL that will be viewed differently 5 years from now.

If you actually sit down and look at all the starting QB's year by year, it is usually pretty similar. Not significantly worse now than it was then.

KC kid
10-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Fitzpatrick and wallace ahead of cassel shows your stupidity

cardken
10-23-2010, 06:39 PM
That's just perception, not reality.

There are a ton of young QB's in the NFL that will be viewed differently 5 years from now.

If you actually sit down and look at all the starting QB's year by year, it is usually pretty similar. Not significantly worse now than it was then.

Nice Try, but I count 16 current starters we will remember at least 5 years from now the rest mere roster footnotes.

Alex Smith- a wash
Hasselback- a wash
Anderson- a wash
Moore-a wash already replaced by Clausen
Freeman- Soon but confident he's a flash in the pan.
Romo- The very embodiment of Danny White 2.0
Gerrard- Been starter for lack of better options for years now.
Young- An owners pride is the only thing keeping him there.
Fitzpatrick- Duct tape.
Henne- Has failed to do anything there, coaches have commented on his lack of progress.
Who is the starter in Oakland this week?
Orton- Having a fine season this year but one year does not a career make.
Cassel- Need I say more?

[/LIST]

BossChief
10-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Vince Young
61%
7 td
2 int
7.4 y/a
98.8 rating
Threat to score with his legs at almost any point in a game.
Career win loss record:
26-13

Yeah, this guy doesn't deserve to be on the list...what a joke.

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Vince Young
61%
7 td
2 int
7.4 y/a
98.8 rating
Threat to score with his legs at almost any point in a game.
Career win loss record:
26-13

Yeah, this guy doesn't deserve to be on the list...what a joke.

whoops, how did I forget him. lol, it was on accident fwiw.

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Alright, Vince Young added to the list. I just forgot about him, lol. How is #15 for him?

Pioli Zombie
10-23-2010, 07:57 PM
A lot of fail on this list. Matt Ryan ahead of Big Ben? 2 Super Bowls and the best clutch qb in football over the last 5 years. Romo only 14? Mark Sanchez at 10? WTF?

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 07:59 PM
A lot of fail on this list. Matt Ryan ahead of Big Ben? 2 Super Bowls and the best clutch qb in football over the last 5 years. Romo only 14? Mark Sanchez at 10? WTF?

I probably screwed up with Big Ben. But Sanchez ahead of Romo, yes. Sanchez has won playoff games, Romo has not. Romo has 3 WRs who are all top talent and he is struggling and his team is losing.

Mi_chief_fan
10-23-2010, 08:01 PM
I probably screwed up with Big Ben. But Sanchez ahead of Romo, yes. Sanchez has won playoff games, Romo has not. Romo has 3 WRs who are all top talent and he is struggling and his team is losing.

Not a Romo fan, but you may want to check on that. I think he beat Philly in the 1st rd last year.

DBOSHO
10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
If we are talking about regular season, then peyton is probably #1. Not clearly.
But post season? Hes behind brady, roethlisberger, and maybe brees.

Pioli Zombie
10-23-2010, 08:02 PM
The Cowboys beat the Eagles in the playoffs last year Mr Wizard.

Pioli Zombie
10-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Anyone who thinks the Jets are 5-1 because of Mark Sanchez or that the Cowboys are 1-4 because of Tony Romo earns a Masters Degree from Fuckhead State.

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 08:58 PM
The Cowboys beat the Eagles in the playoffs last year Mr Wizard.

okay, I was wrong. Don't get your panties all caught up. :D

The Bad Guy
10-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Orton should be in the top 10. No doubt about it.

Suck a dick, balls in your mouth.

He's not better than Manning (either), Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben, Brady, Rivers, Schaub, Romo, McNabb, Matt Ryan, or Flacco.

Zaiko
10-24-2010, 12:47 AM
He's better than Flacco and McNabb, the others no.

milkman
10-24-2010, 06:08 AM
This is the worst player ranking at any position that I've ever seen.

milkman
10-24-2010, 06:14 AM
Ryan Fitzpatrick isn't better than Matt Cassel. It's not even close actually.

I would also take Brees, Rodgers and Rivers over Tom Brady at this stage.

I really like Brees, Rogers, and Rivers as QBs, but I'm still taking Brady and Roethlisburger at QB when my team needs a win ahead of those guys.

Brady looks to have returned to pre injury form after having played tentatively last year while still not 100%.

And Dieon Branch is suddenly a player again.

Last 5 miniutes of a playoff game when you need your QB to make plays to win, Ben Roethlisbirger is at the top, followed by Brady in my book.

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2010, 06:21 AM
I can't wait for his list of running backs. It'll probably go
1. AP
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Felix Jones
4. CJ
5. Benjarvis Green-Ellis
6. Ed Marinaro
7. MJD
8. Shonn Greene ( The Jets are 5-1)
9. Larry Johnson
10. Joseph Addai

Mi_chief_fan
10-24-2010, 06:25 AM
I can't wait for his list of running backs. It'll probably go
1. AP
2. Ryan Matthews
3. Felix Jones
4. CJ
5. Benjarvis Green-Ellis
6. Ed Marinaro7. MJD
8. Shonn Greene ( The Jets are 5-1)
9. Larry Johnson
10. Joseph Addai

ROFL

(He makes the best movies)

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2010, 06:25 AM
Milkman hit on the nose about the last 5 minutes of a game you have to win. Brady was #1 the first part of the decade and Ben has been over the last 5 years. People who still doubt Roethlisburgers qb abilities amaze me.

Rausch
10-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Suck a dick, balls in your mouth.

LMAO

Spott
10-24-2010, 08:15 AM

Why do you keep doing this?

Pitt Gorilla
10-24-2010, 05:47 PM
I love how Brees is high because his team is "winning" while Rivers is high even though his team gets beat like a rented mule.

doomy3
10-24-2010, 05:57 PM
I love how Brees is high because his team is "winning" while Rivers is high even though his team gets beat like a rented mule.

And, Rivers has had at least 3 games this season alone where he had the ball and a chance to win or tie the game at the end and failed.

And let's not even talk about Aaron Rodgers' record in close games...

doomy3
10-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Anyone who thinks the Jets are 5-1 because of Mark Sanchez or that the Cowboys are 1-4 because of Tony Romo earns a Masters Degree from ****head State.

Yep.

Pitt Gorilla
10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Anyone who thinks the Jets are 5-1 because of Mark Sanchez or that the Cowboys are 1-4 because of Tony Romo earns a Masters Degree from ****head State.Nebraska?

Pioli Zombie
10-24-2010, 06:12 PM
I don't even want to think about how good the Jets would be if Tony Romo was their qb.

tk13
10-24-2010, 06:15 PM
It's probably an underrated storyline, QB play just hasn't been as good this year. And it's been less influential than the last couple years.

There has been some good play, but also a lot of weird stuff. Max Hall and Colt McCoy have beat Drew Brees. Orton and Rivers have put up huge numbers and are 4-10. Cutler has taken a million sacks and INTs, but he's been in 1st place. Kerry Collins is back leading the Titans. Manning and Brady have certainly not been dominant. Brady has thrown for under 160 yards two of the last three weeks. McNabb doesn't really have good numbers (5 TD/6 INT, poor completion %) and his team has been in first.

tk13
10-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Actually as far as I can tell... going into the SNF game tonight, of the 41 wins by the teams that are in or tied for 1st place, only 2 of them featured a 300 yard passing game. One was by Cutler in week 1, and the other was by Roethlisberger today. And you could argue both of those games should've been a loss (the Calvin Johnson incompletion and Roethlisberger "fumble")

So, theoretically, if you change two controversial calls, we'd be 7 weeks into the season without a win by a first place team where their QB threw for 300 yards.