PDA

View Full Version : Football How were you taught to tackle?

Demonpenz
10-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Smear the gay person was a game where one dude got the ball and you learned how to tackle. I also played tackle football when I was a kid. I think the drill where you pick a lane and you blow each other up is a poor way to teach tackling (Oklahoma?) just because the ball carrier HAS to go in a lane. I just got to thinking how maybe if coaches focused more on just getting the ball carrier down and not blowing each other up people won't fly into a lane head down hurting each other or hurting themselves and blowing the tackle most the time.

chasedude
10-23-2010, 02:59 PM
I only played football a couple years in HS and they had me on the OL so I didn't tackle, I blocked. BUT.... I remember hearing the Coach yelling at the D to go for the legs. You take a guys legs and you got him hogtied.

Again I was just a blocker and didn't have to worry about tackling unless there was a turnover.

salame
10-23-2010, 03:00 PM
hug a tree
open your arms big and wrap up

arrowheadnation
10-23-2010, 03:03 PM
We did the "form" tackling drill where you (defense) and another person (offense) walked toward each other, when you met, you wrapped your arms around his legs between his knees and his butt and lifted him up onto your shoulder and carried him for a yard or two. It was meant to over exaggerate the tackling motion. We also did a version of it where a ball carrier walked down the sideline and a defender came at an angle to cut them off (again...walking). This was how we were taught to tackle on my junior high and high school football teams. Of course, we also did the "pick a hole" and "Oklahoma" drills, but that came after "form tackling."

bowener
10-23-2010, 03:07 PM
In JH and HS we had, and I am certain most teams as well, several different drills. One that I liked was more of a LB type drill I suppose, but we would lay out 3 tackling dummies on the ground a yard between each, then the defender would have to strafe over those and tackle the RB coming around the corner. The goal was to teach us to keep our knees high, hips toward the runner, and to keep your helmet in front of the RB's body when you made the tackle... and obviously to keep your head up like always.

KCSupersized
10-23-2010, 03:10 PM
By any means necessary!

Dayze
10-23-2010, 04:26 PM
approach; settle; eyes on the guys belt/waist; wrap legs, head on outside; drive up.

"hit on the rise"! is what I always remember hearing during drills/practice/games etc.

and "Don't stop moving/drivign your legs until he's on the ground"!

and when all else fails, to just grab the legs and don't let go.

BigRedChief
10-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Real old school. If possible meet the runner head on, put the crown of your helmet in his chest, wrap your arms around him and drive stright threw him. If not go for the wrap up at the knees.

FAX
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Head up. Eyes on enemy's hips. Wrap up. Drive through the tackle. Bite if necessary.

FAX

Hammock Parties
10-23-2010, 04:28 PM
WITH MY BALLS BITCH

http://www.detroitlionsblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/medium_090121-gunther-cunningham-chiefs1.jpg

chasedude
10-23-2010, 04:32 PM
approach; settle; eyes on the guys belt/waist; wrap legs, head on outside; drive up.

"hit on the rise"! is what I always remember hearing during drills/practice/games etc.

and when all else fails, just grab their junk

FYP /shawn smith

GloryDayz
10-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Head up, knees bent, eyes on the chest, wrap up and drive through.

Chiefs Rool
10-23-2010, 04:45 PM
anybody who has ever watched the first season of Friday Night Lights, you better know to keep your head up :)

MoreLemonPledge
10-23-2010, 04:53 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVrsGHs2MCk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VVrsGHs2MCk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

cdcox
10-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Sweep the leg.

michaelj_58
10-23-2010, 05:11 PM
go chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dayze
10-23-2010, 05:43 PM
FYP /shawn smith

lol....

:D

ILikeBigTiddys
10-23-2010, 06:15 PM
I was taught to tackle by any means. Mainly by pounding the pussy into the ground

-King-
10-23-2010, 06:17 PM
God I loved teh Oklahoma drill.

CrazyPhuD
10-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Well tackling when playing smear the penz is different than any other other type. Now tackling in rugby is pretty different from tackling in football. In rugby yardage doesn't matter, getting the ball carrier to the ground does(he has to release the ball on the ground). So a rugby tackle you basically just put your head on their hip wrap around their waist and fall backwards letting their momentum take them to the ground. You're effectively trying to catch them rather than stand them up as in football.

Son of Logical
10-23-2010, 06:29 PM
I learned two ways of doing it. 1.) put your head on the outside hip of the running back, and drive through. (my preferred method) 2.) Put face mask in chest, drive your hips forward, and kind of lift the guy into a tackle. (second method looked great when it worked, but I think led to a lot of missed tackles by our team) Oklahoma or Pit drill as we called it, was the best drill in practice, really got everyone pumped up.

ChiefaRoo
10-23-2010, 06:39 PM

and when all else fails, to just grab the legs and don't let go.

This.

ROYC75
10-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Hit,wrap, lift and drive...... It's that simple.

boogblaster
10-23-2010, 07:34 PM
watch the waist for movement before the cut .. tackle from the waist down and drive your body thru the runner .......

go bo
10-23-2010, 07:48 PM
my coach told me to just fall down on top of the ball carrier...

of course that was pee wee league 50 years ago...

Luke
10-24-2010, 10:37 AM
As near as I remember, we were told to put your head in the chest, middle of the numbers, drive with your feet and wrap your arms around the runner.

I was never good at this technique, but I was pretty good at laying a shoulder to the gut and driving. I liked hearing the air empty out of the runner before they hit the ground.

I had too many neck stingers tackling up in the chest.

My old coach is proabably rolling in his grave, on hearing the new rules.