PDA

View Full Version : Money Question about something on Ebay

Buck
10-25-2010, 12:34 AM
I sold a watch and the winning bidder sent me a message afterwards saying that he needs it shipped somewhere else, not the address that is on his paypal account (which is in Mexico).

He hasn't paid for it yet, and I told him to hold of on paying it until I can figure out if its legit or not.

Here was his message to me.

"After you read this message, i will pay you the watch, but i need you to send me the watch to the following address please:

xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx

Tha address has change because paypal shows another address (Mexico), please ignore that address. Thanks.
xxxxxxxxx"

I've x'd out his name and Address, but doesn't that sound fishy?

RustShack
10-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Eh. Get the money and send it.

TinyEvel
10-25-2010, 12:40 AM
If the email is coming though eBay and it's from his user ID that won the account, then I guess you can send it to whatever address he tells you to once he pays.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Kind of. Can you get delivery confirmation on it? Will he be paying PayPal? And how much $ are we talking?

Buck
10-25-2010, 12:42 AM
I'm just worried because about 8 years ago, my mom sold something on ebay, and the purchaser used a hacked paypal account and so my Mom didn't get money for the item, and since it showed that the money came through on her paypal initially, she already shipped the item, so she was out the money and the item.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm just worried because about 8 years ago, my mom sold something on ebay, and the purchaser used a hacked paypal account and so my Mom didn't get money for the item, and since it showed that the money came through on her paypal initially, she already shipped the item, so she was out the money and the item.

There's more seller protection now, tho, although not nearly as much as for the buyer.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 12:44 AM
But like Tiny said, if they are using that eBay account thru the eBay checkout system, I think you'll be fine. I've had people ask me to ship to different addresses.

TinyEvel
10-25-2010, 12:45 AM

I will need pics of your mom before analyzing this situation.

-King-
10-25-2010, 12:46 AM
I say ship it. If something bad happens, just open up a paypal dispute case. They'll be able to see you're not at fault and get you your money.
Posted via Mobile Device

TinyEvel
10-25-2010, 12:47 AM
How much $$$ we talking about anyway? Is all this internal turmoil over a used Timex from Rite-Aid really worth it? Sure, you put on a replacement gold-tone Twist-o-Flex(tm) band but seriously...

Buck
10-25-2010, 12:48 AM
I say ship it. If something bad happens, just open up a paypal dispute case. They'll be able to see you're not at fault and get you your money.
Posted via Mobile Device

The thing is is that he is saying that he doesn't want it shipped to the address in his paypal account. Wouldn't that sort of screw me if something happened since I didnt send it to the address on his paypal? Why can't he just add the extra address on his paypal?

Buck
10-25-2010, 12:49 AM
How much $$$ we talking about anyway? Is all this internal turmoil over a used Timex from Rite-Aid really worth it? Sure, you put on a replacement gold-tone Twist-o-Flex(tm) band but seriously...

BRO IT HAS INDIGLO.

Its $50, not a lot for someone like you or Dane, but for me that's pretty good.

BossChief
10-25-2010, 12:51 AM
I wanted something I bought shipped to my sister in Cali as a gift and I was asked to add the address to my account before they would send it.

As far as I remember, billing address and shipping address is a different thing.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 12:52 AM
Eh... It being Mexico is a little different, but I'd prolly do it. Unless that $50 will make or break you (not trying to be fececious).

Buck
10-25-2010, 12:52 AM
So I should just tell him to add the address to his paypal account?

What if he says no and I decide not to sell it to him and he gives me a bad rating?

-King-
10-25-2010, 12:53 AM
The thing is is that he is saying that he doesn't want it shipped to the address in his paypal account. Wouldn't that sort of screw me if something happened since I didnt send it to the address on his paypal? Why can't he just add the extra address on his paypal?

Paypal won't care especially if you have proof that he told you to ship it to that other address.

If you want to be ultra careful, as soon as he pays you, transfer the money to tour bank account. If it clears, then you can ship the watch. But then again that takes 3 days to clear so he'll likely be mad at the slow shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
10-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Another thing you should know is I specifically said I wont ship anything outside of the United States.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Paypal won't care especially if you have proof that he told you to ship it to that other address.

If you want to be ultra careful, as soon as he pays you, transfer the money to tour bank account. If it clears, then you can ship the watch. But then again that takes 3 days to clear so he'll likely be mad at the slow shipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

That wouldn't help. Paypal would get the money back if it is a fraud situation or if there is a dispute opened.

TinyEvel
10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
$50 for an Indiglo Timex is a good fetch. lol. Just ask him to add the new address or if the payment comes flagged to his ID that won the auction you are good. confirm that you have the money and ship that shit. Done deal. THe deal is Done.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
Another thing you should know is I specifically said I wont ship anything outside of the United States.

Then you have every right to cancel the transaction.

DRU
10-25-2010, 12:57 AM
If you ship it to an address that does not match their billing address (or that doesn't match the PayPal seller protection eligible address) and something goes wrong you will get no help from PayPal. Don't cry about how they suck when that happens. I would advise you do NOT ship the item to any address that is not covered by PayPal's seller protection program, which in most cases means it's been confirmed against the buyer's credit card.

-King-
How much was the 2nd highest bid? If you don't want to ship to this guy, then you can just offer a second chance offer to the next highest bidder.
Posted via Mobile Device

TinyEvel
JFC this is getting ugly. I'd pay you $50 just to delete this thread and stop posting!

Buck
10-25-2010, 12:59 AM
How much was the 2nd highest bid? If you don't want to ship to this guy, then you can just offer a second chance offer to the next highest bidder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Wouldn't that be the same bid?

Like the 2nd place person pushed his bid to $50 something?

How do I find out by the way?

Okay, I see

The winning bid was $50.81 and the 2nd place bid was $49.81

To be honest with you, if I were to relist it to end at a better time I could probably get more money for it. A similar watch that was new would cost over $200.

TinyEvel
10-25-2010, 01:00 AM
Now, this is some shit you should be dealing with on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DeLorean-DMC-12-1981-Delorean-w-only-5k-miles-Very-Nice-Car-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f041f633eQQitemZ270652105534QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#ht_7211wt_881

BryanBusby
10-25-2010, 01:03 AM
It's a scam, just tell the dude he fucked up by not reading the terms (US only) and re list. Paypal will side with the buyer 99.99% of the time, so you'll be out cash and a watch.

-King-
10-25-2010, 01:06 AM
If you want to earn a lot of money on eBay...have a bumper account or a friend who can bump up the price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
10-25-2010, 01:06 AM
Here is a whole new wrench in the situation.

His ebay account lists his zipcode as one for Hidalgo, TX.

So his ebay account is American but his Paypal account is Mexican?

I'm not sure what to do.

BossChief
10-25-2010, 01:17 AM
JFC this is getting ugly. I'd pay you $50 just to delete this thread and stop posting!

This is BUCK...I am just using this account to make things easier.

Id gladly like to accept your gracious offer and after I have received the funds by mail to a different address than is on my actual account listed here on CP, I will surely do so.

I would like the money to be sent to Marion, Iowa though, as that is where I am right now and NOT in California.

Thanks again!...Ill send the PM of my address in a couple minutes to make this a smoother transaction.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 01:24 AM
This is BUCK...I am just using this account to make things easier.

Id gladly like to accept your gracious offer and after I have received the funds by mail to a different address than is on my actual account listed here on CP, I will surely do so.

I would like the money to be sent to Marion, Iowa though, as that is where I am right now and NOT in California.

Thanks again!...Ill send the PM of my address in a couple minutes to make this a smoother transaction.

Marion? Must be nice to be rich (for an Iowan :p)

BossChief
10-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Marion? Must be nice to be rich (for an Iowan :p)

Its a safe area.

Jewish Rabbi
10-25-2010, 01:35 AM
Its a safe area.

Heard good things about it. Certainly better than the 'Loo.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2010, 07:26 AM
Never, ever ship to an address that is not on the paypal account (unverified).

Especially to a different country.

DON'T DO IT.

Hog's Gone Fishin
10-25-2010, 07:38 AM
I sold a watch and the winning bidder sent me a message afterwards saying that he needs it shipped somewhere else, not the address that is on his paypal account (which is in Mexico).

He hasn't paid for it yet, and I told him to hold of on paying it until I can figure out if its legit or not.

Here was his message to me.

"After you read this message, i will pay you the watch, but i need you to send me the watch to the following address please:

xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx

Tha address has change because paypal shows another address (Mexico), please ignore that address. Thanks.
xxxxxxxxx"

I've x'd out his name and Address, but doesn't that sound fishy?

I would say that the Chargers are now playing up to Norv Turners standards. I'm sure he will turn things around and probably win two or three more games this year. Also I wonder if anybody has suggested he see a dermitologist .

Bugeater
10-25-2010, 07:40 AM
If you have to ask if it's a scam, then it's a scam.

Buck
10-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Man this guy reeks of scammer, I'm not sending it. Here's the back and forth between he and I.

Dear xxxx,

I just spoke with Ebay customer service. I will not ship to any address that is not a Paypal Verified address, so unless its a paypal verified address, I won't send it. Please let me know.

- BUCK

----------------------

Dear BUCK,

I understand you concern. If you check my feedback as buyer is 100%, the problem is because i change the bank account in Paypal, and this account is from Mexico, the address in Mexico is verified, but you dont ship to international mail or yes ?, i canīt change the shipping address, i dont know why ?, i have residence in USA and Mexico.

- xxxx

---------------------------------------

Dear xxxx,

Thanks for emailing me back. The problem is that if I were to ship it to a non paypal verified address, and something were to go wrong, then I wouldn't be covered and I would lose both the watch and the money, so I can't ship it to anything but a verified paypal address, and I don't ship to Mexico. Is there any way to put the address you want on the paypal account?

- BUCK

-------------------------------------------

Dear BUCK,

I cant put any other address just that, when i pay appears the Mexican Address, The USA address is where i always receive my packages, it's faster and secure. You trust me, lets go to make the deal, i pay and you send me the watch to the Addres in Hidalgo, Texas.
Thanks.

- xxxx

Ming the Merciless
10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Eh. Get the money and send it.

This...

The other alternative would be to have him try and officially change his address in pay-pal or Ebay..

But I have done transactions like that (different address) before. As long as the communication is coming through EBAY and you have the money...Theres not much if any risk..

How expensive is it?

edit: one more alternative is to have him western union the money instead of pay pal...

Theres no refunds with western union

Zaiko
10-25-2010, 04:04 PM
Wouldn't do it. I go through ebay a lot, and you'll most likely be rigged if you send to something other than his paypal address.

Zaiko
10-25-2010, 04:05 PM
This...

The other alternative would be to have him try and officially change his address in pay-pal or Ebay..

But I have done transactions like that (different address) before. As long as the communication is coming through EBAY and you have the money...Theres not much if any risk..

You all apparently haven't been scammed.

Ming the Merciless
10-25-2010, 04:08 PM
You all apparently haven't been scammed.

That is kind of my point....

I have done hundreds of online transactions and not been scammed. Once you have the money in your hand, it is pretty hard to be scammed...

He could even make him write in the payment insctructions THROUGH pay pal, please ship to XXXX address....then request a signiture.

He could also use western union, and make him request a certain address with western union...

It isn't rocket science...