PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports High School Cheerleader Kicked Off Squad for Refusal to Cheer for Her Rapist

Deberg_1990
10-25-2010, 09:21 AM
wow....just wow...

http://womensrights.change.org/blog/view/high_school_cheerleader_kicked_off_squad_for_refusal_to_cheer_for_her_rapist#share_source=blog-top_fb

Rah, rah, sis boom bah: Silsbee High School in Texas wants their cheerleaders smiling, energetic, and willing to cheer for their rapists by name. Go team!

H.S., a Silsbee student, reported being raped in 2008 by Rakheem Bolton, a fellow student and athletic star, with the help of two of his friends. In the end, Bolton recently ended up getting off without serving any jail time by pleading guilty to a lesser assault charge, spending two years on probation, doing community service, paying a fine, and attending anger management courses. Hardly seems like an adequate punishment, but it's unfortunately not uncommon for attackers to bargain down their charges. What really gets the blood boiling is how the students' high school treated the victim when the rape charge was levied.

Bolton was set to be on the school's varsity basketball team, and they couldn't risk losing by barring him from playing for a silly thing like a rape charge. That could impact their chances at winning. Who cares about the traumatic impact it would have an a cheerleader who needed to vocally support a team including her rapist?

But H.S. fulfilled her role as a cheerleader, participating in all the cheers for the team as a group. She simply refused to shout the first name of the man who assaulted her when he stood up alone to make free throws. It seems like she was being more than accommodating, when an student athlete facing trial on rape charges most likely should have been suspended from the team, even if his presence wasn't a source of immediate distress to his victim in her position as cheerleader. In a display of extreme disrespect for a rape survivor and disregard for her well-being, school officials insisted that H.S. had to scream "Rakheem" with the rest of the cheerleaders, or she'd be kicked off the squad.

Not only that, Caroline Heldman reports on Ms. Magazine's blog that school officials pushed H.S. "to keep a low profile, such as avoiding the school cafeteria and not taking part in homecoming activities." As though she should somehow be ashamed for having been raped and brought charges against her attacker. Where exactly was she supposed to eat so as to not cause discomfort to the star athlete? H.S. also refused to take this offensive "advice."

H.S. sued her school district for removing her from the cheerleading squad. In an absurd court ruling, the 5th U.S. Circuit of Appeals decided to uphold the school's decision, claiming that a cheerleader was but a "mouthpiece" for a school to use to "disseminate speech — namely, support for its athletic teams." Her silence apparently "constituted substantial interference with the work of the school because, as a cheerleader, H.S. was at the basketball game for the purpose of cheering, a position she undertook voluntarily." Well, I'm sure H.S. never expected to be "volunteering" to cheer for someone who had assaulted her. And the idea that just being silent during Bolton's free throws, a barely noticeable act, was "substantial interference with the work of the school" — um, we're talking extracurricular sports, not classroom disruption — makes little sense.

Tell Silsbee officials that this is no way to treat rape victims, and insist that they publicly issue an apology to H.S. immediately. Furthermore, tell them to instate a policy outlining appropriate treatment of sexual assault survivors, which does not put the onus on the victim to ensure smooth interactions at the school.

Bowser
10-25-2010, 09:26 AM
That's fucked up. What's wrong with people?

DJ's left nut
10-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Not to rain on a good ol' shitstorm - but the 5th circuit court of appeals agreed with the decision and likely did so based on a bunch of facts that are not contained in this article.

The tone of the article is pretty blatant - how can you really trust its message?

I'd bet a pretty fair amount that any article that says "Bolton was set to be on the school's varsity basketball team, and they couldn't risk losing by barring him from playing for a silly thing like a rape charge"... isn't exactly laying out the entire picture for your review.

Perhaps the woman is really getting a raw deal - but I wouldn't fly off the handle based on this article. It's pretty much a piece of editorial rhetoric.

Chiefnj2
10-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Texas always has the most bizarre stories and cases arising from their schools.

gblowfish
10-25-2010, 09:31 AM
GIMME AN 'R'
GIMME AN 'A'
GIMME A "P"
GIMME A "E"

Chiefnj2
10-25-2010, 09:36 AM
http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/unpub/09/09-41075.0.wpd.pdf

DJ's left nut
10-25-2010, 09:49 AM
http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/unpub/09/09-41075.0.wpd.pdf

Wow, the affirmation was even based on a Mx to dismiss; the bar on those is incredibly high.

Look - a grand jury chose not to even pursue an indictment in the assault matter and a trial court booted her underlying civil suit due to failure to state a claim (very uncommon if there is even a shred of merit to the claim).

That's a lot of red flags. Based on the results of 3 separate fact finders, the pleadings and facts presented were pointing VERY strongly in the opposite direction of this girl's allegations.

The 'racially divided' grand jury story doesn't stand up; it's a DA covering his ass. Almost any grand jury you ever see will be 'racially divided' (or be subject to a Batson challenge alleging prejudice to the defendant). And yet I we don't see a shortage of indictments handed down against African Americans... They're honestly alleging that the DA told them that they couldn't get an indictment against a black guy unless it was an all-white grand jury? B.S.

This story has a hell of a lot more to it than this article is suggesting, that's all I'm saying.

Lzen
10-25-2010, 10:32 AM
I too, was wondering if there is more to this story. Questions immediately came to mind while reading this piece. For instance, why was he allowed to plead down to assault if there was good evidence? Does that suggest that the evidence is flimsy or there is a lack thereof?

I wonder what this group/writer/website had to say when the Duke lacrosse players were put on trial by the public. I'm not saying this is what happened to this woman. If there is any truth to this, then that is ****ed up and she has been wronged. But I am always skeptical when this kind of thing happens. Something tells me there is more to this story.

Coach
10-25-2010, 10:58 AM
Well, here's what I suggest. If the gal is gonna be kicked off, then the guy is gonna be kicked off.

Seems fair to me.