PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Defensive concerns

Silock
10-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Does it concern anyone else that we are 25th in the league against the pass, despite being 5th against the run? Are our numbers against the run skewed because teams prefer to pass on us?

The Bad Guy
10-25-2010, 11:15 AM
That's pretty much how most teams are that are high up in run D. The goal with the run D is to make a team one dimensional and throw all the time.

KC-TBB
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I have no opinion, because I have less than 20,000 posts I am still an idiot.

Rain Man
10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I think you tend to rank lower against the pass when you have the lead because other teams have to pass more. That said, it'd always be nice to be top ten in both categories.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2010, 11:17 AM
We have a young secondary, and a starting linebacker who is beyond awful in coverage.

Rain Man
10-25-2010, 11:17 AM
I have no opinion, because I have less than 20,000 posts I am still an idiot.

You're completely wrong on that. Once you get more posts you'll see the error in your thinking.

The Bad Guy
10-25-2010, 11:18 AM
The Chiefs are in the top 10 in points allowed, which is the only stat I really care about defensively.

Silock
I think you tend to rank lower against the pass when you have the lead because other teams have to pass more. That said, it'd always be nice to be top ten in both categories.

True, but we are still overall 17th. Would be nice to have at least a top half defense.

The Bad Guy
True, but we are still overall 17th. Would be nice to have at least a top half defense.

Why do people get so wraped up in yardage?

We are in the top 10 in points allowed.

KCUnited
The bend but don't break philosophy will account for chunks of yards through the air, but it does concern me because of our lack of a consistent pass rush.

KC-TBB
10-25-2010, 11:19 AM
You're completely wrong on that. Once you get more posts you'll see the error in your thinking.

ohhhh wisdom come with experience young weedhopper...

Silock
The Chiefs are in the top 10 in points allowed, which is the only stat I really care about defensively.

Excellent point.

Deberg_1990
We still dont have a very good or consistant pass rush. Thats the main problem. QB's with too much time to throw.

Pants
10-25-2010, 11:20 AM

This. Points allowed is the only thing that matters, IMO.

Silock
10-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Giving up yardage tends to lead to giving up scoring chances. If we can keep up our habit of not letting the other team score too much, I will be happy. I'd rather not let them have the chance, though.

Hammock Parties
Most important passing D stats:

YPA - Chiefs are 18th
Comp % - Chiefs are 10th
TD passes - Chiefs are 10th
3rd down % - Chiefs are 9th

I think someone on here...probably our dear departed friend htismaqe...did a study on Super Bowl defenses and how they fared in total passing yards allowed...it wasn't pretty. It was also meaningless in the end.

Marcellus
If you look at the game yesterday the Chiefs were stacking the box the entire first half. They were not going to let JAX run the ball. They gave up some pass plays because of it but they were playing run all the way,

2nd half they gave up 90 yards offense including garbage time.

FAX
We've played a few teams that like to fling it and fling it far. You expect Schaub, Rivers, and Headless Jesus to put up numbers.

My concern is how Tractorio was able to fling it on us yesterday. We need more pressure on the QB and Pioli needs to threaten a couple of NFL executives with slow and painful deaths if they don't back off this DPI crap.

FAX

keg in kc
10-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Pass rush is still a problem and we're starting two rookies in the secondary, so I don't think the passing D being weaker than the run D is a surprise, although I remember some people believing the opposite would be true (and it still may be, we've only played 6 games). As far as the run defense goes, I don't think it's a mirage; they're not just 4th in yards allowed, they're also 5th in yards/attempt at 3.7. And as far as "teams preferring to pass", maybe they're not running because it's easy to pass, or maybe they're forced to pass because they can't run.

Either way, I think it's safe to say it's clear progress. They couldn't stop the run or the pass for the past decade or so.

(And they're 7th in the most important stat of all)

The Bad Guy
Giving up yardage tends to lead to giving up scoring chances. If we can keep up our habit of not letting the other team score too much, I will be happy. I'd rather not let them have the chance, though.

It really doesn't.

Teams that are ahead will tend to give up more yardage because offenses are constantly throwing to catch up.

The Franchise
Buffalo is more than likely going to give us issues.

-King-
Nah not really. We have 3 rookies back there. There's bound to be mistakes. But they'll learn.

The Bad Guy
10-25-2010, 11:23 AM

They might, but I still don't buy it.

In the end though, they are a Chan Gailey led offense, and if we can weather the first half storm, he won't make a single adjustment in the 2nd half.

keg in kc
10-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Buffalo also may have shot their wad yesterday and could come in flat and get slaughtered.

Saulbadguy
10-25-2010, 11:27 AM

Because it is still a valid concern, IMO.

However, I think it is something that will get better than worst.

DaKCMan AP
10-25-2010, 11:27 AM

I concur.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
Look at the "bottom 11" passing defenses:

Houston - 4-2
Washington - 4-3
New England - 5-1
Seattle - 4-2
Atlanta - 5-2
Jacksonville - 3-4
Cleveland - 2-5
Chiefs - 4-2
Steelers - 5-1
Titans - 5-2
Jets - 5-1

Bunch of fucking losers. Seven of the top 10 scoring defenses, too.

ForeverChiefs58
10-25-2010, 11:28 AM
The good news is we would be like 5th in pass defense if the refs would only stop trying to cover the points they obviously bet against us.

Bill Brasky
10-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Most important passing D stats:

YPA - Chiefs are 18th
Comp % - Chiefs are 10th
TD passes - Chiefs are 10th
3rd down % - Chiefs are 9th

I think someone on here...probably our dear departed friend htismaqe...did a study on Super Bowl defenses and how they fared in total passing yards allowed...it wasn't pretty. It was also meaningless in the end.

What is a good website that has spreadsheet style stats? Not really a fan of the espn website.

Also, Is that your opinion on the most important stats, or were those the results of htismage's study?

The Bad Guy

However, I think it is something that will get better than worst.

Saints were 25th in yardage last year if I remember correctly.

I'm not concerned with it really. They play pretty good goal line D and in year 1, they are still learning.

petegz28
San Diego ha the # 1 pass defense and run defense. And they are 2-5. Total Yardage is misleading

Chief Faithful
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM
The team has given up a lot of long passes partly due to youth and the bend don't break defense tends to give up passing verse running yardage in the open middle of the field.

keg in kc
10-25-2010, 11:34 AM

However, I think it is something that will get better than worst.I think it's fair to expect it to improve. Barry's starting to show some shown signs that he's starting to get it. His PI call was a joke, and while he's still giving up some plays in pass defense, he's starting to make a few, too. And I'm not talking about his gift INT, he saved a TD yesterday on a great play in the end zone. A play I don't see many other safeties able to make (athletically speaking).

Although they do play Denver twice, and I think Denver will put up big yards.

There's some bend-but-don't-break to the way they're being schemed, too. They appear to be more than willing to give up short yards between the twenties, but not anything deep. And then get more aggressive in the red zone. There are times I wish they'd dial up a blitz but the safe approach seems to be working, and against quality teams, last quarter against Houston being the exception.

CupidStunt
10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Run D isn't #5 because the pass D is low: YPC is the more important stat and you can see that in how they've shut down MJD and Gore, while limiting Foster.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Bottom 10 rush defenses:

Buffalo 0-7
Tampa 4-2
Denver 2-500
Arizona 3-3
Oakland 3-4
Detroit 1-5
Indy 4-2
Jacksonville 3-4
Carolina 1-5
Green Bay 4-3

7 of 10 are losing teams.

Six of the 10 worst defenses.

Top 10 passing defenses:

Denver
Buffalo
Oakland
Carolina
Dallas
San Diego

LOSERS

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
What is a good website that has spreadsheet style stats? Not really a fan of the espn website.

Also, Is that your opinion on the most important stats, or were those the results of htismage's study?

My opinion.

NFL.com is great.

keg in kc
10-25-2010, 11:37 AM
San Diego ha the # 1 pass defense and run defense. And they are 2-5. Total Yardage is misleadingSan Diego isn't losing because of anything their defense is doing. They're losing because their number one ranked offense coughs up the ball. They've lost a dozen fumbles and thrown six picks.

keg in kc
10-25-2010, 11:38 AM
My opinion.

NFL.com is great.I concur.

Skyy God
10-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I blame ERIC BERRYYYYYYYYYYY!

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Passing % and pass TDs allowed = WINNING

Top 10 teams in passing %:

Jets
Seattle
Philly
Giants
Tampa
Rams
KC

7 of 10 are winners.

Top 10 teams in pass TD allowed:

Chicago
Pitt
New Orleans
Seattle
Tenn
Indy
Giants
Green Bay

8 of 10 are WINNERS.

KC is #11 :)

Micjones
10-25-2010, 11:51 AM
It's definitely an area of concern, but there are some key contributing factors:
1. We don't get enough pressure on the QB.
2. We're a young defense that's still making coverage mistakes.
3. This style of defense is going to expose you to surrendering lots of passing yardage.

As long as we continue to rank near the top of the league in scoring allowed...
There's no reason to panic, but it's definitely something that can and should be improved upon.

ReynardMuldrake
10-25-2010, 12:09 PM
San Diego isn't losing because of anything their defense is doing. They're losing because their number one ranked offense coughs up the ball. They've lost a dozen fumbles and thrown six picks.

Coughing up blocked punts doesn't help. SD special teams are terrible.

keg in kc
10-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Coughing up blocked punts doesn't help. SD special teams are terrible.They've definitely found creative ways to lose games.

Hell, their defense yesterday was about the only bright point. With all the opportunities they were handed, New England should have scored about as many points as the Raiders. Okay, I exaggerate, but that game shouldn't have been close at the end.