PDA

View Full Version : Computers Help with an upgrade on video card

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I have a Dell C521

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/dimen_c521/pd.aspx?refid=dimen_c521&cs=22&s=dfh

I can't support a whole lot of shit, I know that...but I need it to have a DVI card instead of the VGA one it currently has...and I want to upgrade immediately because I got drunk and pissed all over my laptop (allegedly)...

So lets try and find me a cheap DVI card that my computer supports...I'm a dipshit when it comes to this stuff (and most other stuff) so please help me out.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
It's not gonna fix Romo's collarbone, sorry.

OnTheWarpath15
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM
LMAO

Dude, I know you and I go round and round, but I can't discredit your entertainment value.

"Allegedly."

LMAO

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
well my laptop turns on but the hard drive is dead and the OS won't load...

I'm a dumbass and have nothing backed up...and I have a ton of important shit on there...

any ideas while we're at it? Or am I just fucked?

if my CD-ROM would open I could just put Windows in and start from scratch but that's broke too.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:32 PM
You can get a DVI to VGA adapter.

Or get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130569

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2010, 08:34 PM
If you want to get the shit off of your laptop, buy a 2.5" hard drive enclosure. You can hook your HDD up to another computer and essentially pull files off of it as though it were a flash drive.

If your Laptop is 3-4 years old or newer, it's most likely a SATA drive, so look for a SATA enclosure.**

This of course assumes that that HDD isn't totally fried. It could appear dead for a number of other reasons not related to outright failure of the drive.

petegz28
10-25-2010, 08:35 PM

Or get this:

He tried that. His computer has onboard analog VGA, no digital signal. If I remember correctly he is trying to get it to display on his TV and it needs a digital signal.

JonesCrusher
10-25-2010, 08:36 PM
because I got drunk and pissed all over my laptop (allegedly)...

PricelessROFLROFLROFL

Ming the Merciless
10-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Sup Hootie,

65 bux

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150322

not cheapest but pretty cheap and rocks

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
Get the video card I linked, then.

Pawnmower's is needlessly expensive.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:37 PM
If you want to get the shit off of your laptop, buy a 2.5" hard drive enclosure. You can hook your HDD up to another computer and essentially pull files off of it as though it were a flash drive.

If your Laptop is 3-4 years old or newer, it's most likely a SATA drive, so look for a SATA enclosure.**

This of course assumes that that HDD isn't totally fried. It could appear dead for a number of other reasons not related to outright failure of the drive.

Ok so I just booted it back up for the first time in a few days...

CD-ROM now opens...

The computer turns on and the boot screen loads...I run the diagnostics and it just doesn't find the hard drive...

and the OS doesn't load (obviously)...

so I think the hard drive got wet and everything is corrupt...

I can still pull the data off of it? What do I need to buy?

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM

Or get this:

Hey GoChiefs...

The only things I'll be using my PC for is streaming the occasional Dexter and watching Chiefs streams online...

I can afford to spend more than $30 if necessary...or will this video card do the trick?

Let me know.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:39 PM
That video card is more than enough for you.

KcMizzou
10-25-2010, 08:40 PM
LMAO

Dude, I know you and I go round and round, but I can't discredit your entertainment value.

"Allegedly."

LMAOThat's classic.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:40 PM
did you guys look at the C521?

It's a small case and doesn't support some stuff...

Just curious because I bought a TV Tuner back in the day and my case/computer didn't support it.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
You'll be fine. That card is pretty small.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:42 PM
well I don't drink too often anymore because I work 50 hours a week...

but Wednesday my friends and I are in a bowling league and I've been raking in the cash lately...

so one of my friends and I decided to get super fucked up...tons of shots...

I woke up at 6 AM, naked on my living room couch...totally confused (this happens more often than one could imagine)...I get up...look in my roommates room (he's passed out on his bed with all of his clothes on and the lights still on)...

go in my room...

Armageddon.

My bed was drenched...my computer was in the middle of it...and I used all of my clothes in my closet as my blanket on the couch...

If it was pee, I peed more than any human being should ever pee at one time...

But yeah...great mystery of 2010...and my $700 laptop is destroyed.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok so I just booted it back up for the first time in a few days...

CD-ROM now opens...

The computer turns on and the boot screen loads...I run the diagnostics and it just doesn't find the hard drive...

and the OS doesn't load (obviously)...

so I think the hard drive got wet and everything is corrupt...

I can still pull the data off of it? What do I need to buy?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816001&cm_re=2.5_sata_enclosure-_-17-816-001-_-Product

10 bucks.

You could have fried the SATA connectors on your Mobo w/o frying your drive. It's best to try the minor steps, like this, before doing anything drastic.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:44 PM
You trust Hootie to pry the back panel off his laptop and extract the hard drive?

KcMizzou
10-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I blew $100 at Best Buy on a video card I could have bought from Tigerdirect for $40...

And it turns out it was barely an upgrade. :banghead:

Ming the Merciless
10-25-2010, 08:45 PM
did you guys look at the C521?

I did, and I dont SEE where mine is low profile (it just looks it), but I know this one is:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814139018

Not sure if other dude's recommended is low pro or not

the really small ones SAY low pro on them

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
well I don't drink too often anymore because I work 50 hours a week...

but Wednesday my friends and I are in a bowling league and I've been raking in the cash lately...

so one of my friends and I decided to get super fucked up...tons of shots...

I woke up at 6 AM, naked on my living room couch...totally confused (this happens more often than one could imagine)...I get up...look in my roommates room (he's passed out on his bed with all of his clothes on and the lights still on)...

go in my room...

Armageddon.

My bed was drenched...my computer was in the middle of it...and I used all of my clothes in my closet as my blanket on the couch...

If it was pee, I peed more than any human being should ever pee at one time...

But yeah...great mystery of 2010...and my $700 laptop is destroyed.

ROFL

I have never in my life done anything remotely that stupid.

You know I love you, but damn...

Should have taken pics.

Try not to pee on any transformers in the future or you'll be a darwin award candidate.

'Hamas' Jenkins
You trust Hootie to pry the back panel off his laptop and extract the hard drive?

Computer upgrades are the most overrated repairs for people to perform. If you can build assemble-by-letters furniture, you can assemble and disassemble a laptop.

Hootie
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816001&cm_re=2.5_sata_enclosure-_-17-816-001-_-Product

10 bucks.

You could have fried the SATA connectors on your Mobo w/o frying your drive. It's best to try the minor steps, like this, before doing anything drastic.

Cool.

I'll buy that for sure but can I just ask what it does? ROFL

What do I do once I get it? It's just to get the data off of my hard drive, right?

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Computer upgrades are the most overrated repairs for people to perform. If you can build assemble-by-letters furniture, you can assemble and disassemble a laptop.

Hootie peed all over his room, man.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Looks like all I'd need is a screw driver?

Hammock Parties
Cool.

What do I do once I get it? It's just to get the data off of my hard drive, right?

You take your hard drive out of your laptop, stick it in that thing, and then voila, you have an external hard drive you can connect to any PC.

Ming the Merciless
Get the video card I linked, then.

Pawnmower's is needlessly expensive.

Whatever-

The card I linked is VASTLY superior to the piece of shit you linked

and it is only 65 bux

:D

(JK ... But If saving every single penny is what youre after, go for it...to me theres not a huge difference between 30 and 60 bucks if youre doing the work of swapping a card and want it to last longer...

'Hamas' Jenkins
Cool.

It basically turns your laptop HD into a really big USB flash drive. Hook it up to another computer, and the data on your laptop will appear. Hunt down the vital stuff in the important folders and drag and drop it over to the other computer.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Hootie peed all over his room, man.

Allegedly.

I've drank myself silly thousands and thousands of times over the years and I have never pissed myself, ever.

I know a lot of people do. I've had girlfriends who have pissed on me drunkenly before.

I just never have.

So I was either more fucked up than usual, or someone doesn't want to admit drenching me with water or something.

joesomebody
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Computer upgrades are the most overrated repairs for people to perform. If you can build assemble-by-letters furniture, you can assemble and disassemble a laptop.Correct. Though look for a youtube video for your specific model.

A lot of them (especially Dells) require removal of the keyboard first.

I work in the Geek Squad, and tearing apart Laptops is a pain, if only for the reason it's tough to do without scratching/chipping the finish. People get pissed over trivial crap like that.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Whatever-

The card I linked is VASTLY superior to the piece of shit you linked

and it is only 65 bux

:D

I'd rather save 30. Hootie doesn't play PC games.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
It basically turns your laptop HD into a really big USB flash drive. Hook it up to another computer, and the data on your laptop will appear. Hunt down the vital stuff in the important folders and drag and drop it over to the other computer.

So since my laptop still turns on and everything...and it appears as if I only have a damaged hard drive...

If I were to buy another hard drive my laptop could be saved, right?

Right now I probably just have to replace the hard drive...turns on...I can run diagnostics on the memory...but not on the hard drive (since it doesn't read one)...

KcMizzou
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Correct. Though look for a youtube video for your specific model.

I work in the Geek Squad, and tearing apart Laptops is a pain, if only for the reason it's tough to do without scratching/chipping the finish. People get pissed over trivial crap like that.Nerd Herd, eh?

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:52 PM
You don't know if it's the motherboard or the hard drive.

If it's the motherboard you're kinda fucked.

Ming the Merciless

4 times the ram wouldnt only help with video games, but W/e

'Hamas' Jenkins
Correct. Though look for a youtube video for your specific model.

I work in the Geek Squad, and tearing apart Laptops is a pain, if only for the reason it's tough to do without scratching/chipping the finish. People get pissed over trivial crap like that.

Yes, they do, but they often get more pissed because you guys are hucksters that charge people 150 bucks to click three buttons on a disc that does all the work for you.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:53 PM

but I'm hooking up my PC to a 42" Plasma...and wouldn't mind having the streamed video look nice if a video card can do that for me...

Would the more expensive one be better...or is the $30 one for a non-computer gamer more than enough?

KcMizzou
Yes, they do, but they often get more pissed because you guys are hucksters that charge people 150 bucks to click three buttons on a disc that does all the work for you.I don't know that it's so much him, as the company he works for...

Hootie
You don't know if it's the motherboard or the hard drive.

If it's the motherboard you're kinda ****ed.

when I run the boot agent (F12) it reads Operating System not found

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 08:54 PM
4 times the ram wouldnt only help with video games, but W/e

He doesn't encode video, from the sounds of it he doesn't even watch HD video.

He can take that extra 30 bucks and piss it away.

Hammock Parties
but I'm hooking up my PC to a 42" Plasma...and wouldn't mind having the streamed video look nice if a video card can do that for me...

Would the more expensive one be better...or is the $30 one for a non-computer gamer more than enough?

That's not gonna make a difference.

'Hamas' Jenkins
So since my laptop still turns on and everything...and it appears as if I only have a damaged hard drive...

If I were to buy another hard drive my laptop could be saved, right?

Right now I probably just have to replace the hard drive...turns on...I can run diagnostics on the memory...but not on the hard drive (since it doesn't read one)...

It's too early to tell, in all honesty. Like I said, it could be that your HDD is fried, it could be certain parts of your Mobo are fucked, it could just need the capacitors to dry out (yes, this occasionally happens).

Hypothetically, if your HDD were the only thing that was screwed, you'd just have to buy a new hard drive, and depending on the laptop that you have, you could either install the recovery information, or if you wanted Windows 7 and you have a .edu email address, you could get that for 30 bucks.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I don't know that it's so much him, as the company he works for...

That's true, but I can't pass up on an opportunity to rip on that douchebag company.

Hootie
10-25-2010, 08:56 PM
It's too early to tell, in all honesty. Like I said, it could be that your HDD is fried, it could be certain parts of your Mobo are ****ed, it could just need the capacitors to dry out (yes, this occasionally happens).

Hypothetically, if your HDD were the only thing that was screwed, you'd just have to buy a new hard drive, and depending on the laptop that you have, you could either install the recovery information, or if you wanted Windows 7 and you have a .edu email address, you could get that for 30 bucks.

I actually wouldn't mind picking up Windows 7 for 30 bucks and do have a .edu email address...

link?

Ming the Merciless
10-25-2010, 09:00 PM
He doesn't encode video, from the sounds of it he doesn't even watch HD video.

He can take that extra 30 bucks and piss it away.

I'll agree to disagree...

He said he was getting a plasma , so he may be watching HD video....and he MAY want to encode videos, who knows?

I'm just not the kind of person to get the cheapest POSSIBLE upgrade, I don't see 30 dollars as a huge price to pay for a much better product...But you seem to know his needs and know that he won't be doing too much with his machine, so I can't really comment on what he will be doing or won't be doing.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Looks like they may have suspended that deal for 7 and instead are offering 7 Pro for 65 bucks.

It goes back on sale from time to time, so keep your eye out.

Just google Microsoft Student Windows 7 and you'll get the link to pop right up.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm just going off what he told me.

And even if he's playing HD video, that's CPU dependent.

joesomebody
10-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Yes, they do, but they often get more pissed because you guys are hucksters that charge people 150 bucks to click three buttons on a disc that does all the work for you.Not going to comment on the business practices of Best Buy/Geek Squad.

I will say that we are not on commission, and do our best to do what we can within the framework we are given.

I feel the same way on about 75% of Auto-mechanic's. If it wasn't worth the price, people wouldn't pay it Mr. Hamas.

Ming the Merciless
10-25-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm just going off what he told me.

And even if he's playing HD video, that's CPU dependent.

Well, the video card you reccomend only seems to support up to Direct X 9...

That just seems to be out-dated to me...

Are you sure directx 9 is sufficient for his needs?

joesomebody
10-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Nerd Herd, eh?Yup. One of the few part time jobs I could find that I felt would actually be a boost to most resumes. It pays decent, the work is pretty fun, and it should look decent on most resumes.

I Graduate this December, but I may keep this as a part time job for a long while. The Discount is sweet.

'Hamas' Jenkins
10-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Not going to comment on the business practices of Best Buy/Geek Squad.

I will say that we are not on commission, and do our best to do what we can within the framework we are given.

I feel the same way on about 75% of Auto-mechanic's. If it wasn't worth the price, people wouldn't pay it Mr. Hamas.

I understand not wanting to comment. The problem I have is that I feel that BB preys on the ignorance of a lot of customers, especially with their "optimization" packages, and they oversell the value of their items. FWIW, a lot of the sales floor is far more complicit in that than the Geek Squad guys, but I worked in electronics in college and I've heard enough horror stories from those left behind to be wary of practices of all those companies, whether it be BB, the deceased CC, or others.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 11:10 PM
A fool and his money are soon parted.

I guess there's something to be said about selling a product at a reasonable value, though.

Personally I wish I had thought of Geek Squad before Best Buy started raping morons.

-King-
10-25-2010, 11:10 PM
I understand not wanting to comment. The problem I have is that I feel that BB preys on the ignorance of a lot of customers, especially with their "optimization" packages, and they oversell the value of their items. FWIW, a lot of the sales floor is far more complicit in that than the Geek Squad guys, but I worked in electronics in college and I've heard enough horror stories from those left behind to be wary of practices of all those companies, whether it be BB, the deceased CC, or others.

Want to buy some $100 monster HDMI cables?
Posted via Mobile Device

Psyko Tek
10-25-2010, 11:23 PM
I have a Dell C521

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/desktops/dimen_c521/pd.aspx?refid=dimen_c521&cs=22&s=dfh

I can't support a whole lot of shit, I know that...but I need it to have a DVI card instead of the VGA one it currently has...and I want to upgrade immediately because I got drunk and pissed all over my laptop (allegedly)...

So lets try and find me a cheap DVI card that my computer supports...I'm a dipshit when it comes to this stuff (and most other stuff) so please help me out.

pissed on your laptop?
well keep you important stuff above dick level?

joesomebody
10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
I understand your thoughts completely. I do feel that the Geek Squad provides an excellent service though. I would honestly say that over 75% of the time, if you are having computer issues and you bring it in to us, we can help you in about 10 minutes and we charge nothing for the service.

The only things we typically charge for involve fairly lengthy diagnostics or insurance liability. Are there certain services of ours that are better values than others? Sure. In general though, a significant portion of our services aren't beneficial to a moderate to advanced computer user, but the same can be said for a moderate to advanced car enthusiast.

Our optimization packages are useful and do involve some time commitment, regardless of how amazing our automated software is. Our optimizations are ESPECIALLY useful to people that don't have high speed internet connections. The district my store serves is mostly rural, and you would be surprised how many people still don't have broadband.

Again though, like you said, it is the sales floor that sells 90% + of these optimization packages, we in the Geek Squad service and fix things. All told, I will say Best Buy treats their employees well and offers a lot, in that you can actually see and use the technology we sell instead of buying on blind faith.

I can't imagine how much money BB spends on demoing products to people who then turn and buy the products elsewhere, so I will refrain from calling BB evil, even if I didn't work there. If you want to buy moderate to high end electronics, you will actually get help and service at BB, instead of at other places where you have to find the one guy covering pet food and dvds and ask him a question.

Saccopoo
10-26-2010, 02:34 AM
Hamas helping Hootie...

Fucking classic. Chiefs Planet love.

crossbow
10-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Make sure the power supply in that Dell can handle an upgrade or you will smoke it. With that said go with the cheaper ATI card.

Hootie
10-27-2010, 12:08 PM
so exactly what I feared to happen, happened.

I know GoChiefs was trying to help but I should have known his arrogance was going to get in the way.

I specifically said my case has been a problem when it comes to expansion, and that I bought a TV tuner that didn't fit the case...but he said that wouldn't be the problem with this card!!

Well it didn't fit, same freaking length as the TV Tuner...now I have to fucking return the thing and hook up my printer to a temp computer and jump through all of these damn hoops I was trying to avoid.

So now...if anyone wants to actually help out...by LOOKING AT THIS COMPUTER: DELL DIMENSION C521 and finding me a video card with DVI this case actually supports...several rep will be sent your way...

Looking to spend less than $65...

Hootie
10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
will this one do the trick?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102829

TrickyNicky
10-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Which card did you buy that didn't fit?

Hootie
10-27-2010, 12:20 PM

that one...

TrickyNicky
10-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Was it too long, too tall? Didn't fit the bracket?

Hootie
10-27-2010, 12:26 PM
too tall...didn't fit...I purchased the one I just linked above...read the reviews...seems to be a good card/fit low profile cases.

joesomebody
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
This one is low profile, includes a low profile bracket, and looks to have HDMI and DVI.

No promises, but it should fit. Also it's cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125336&cm_re=low_profile_PCI_express_video_card-_-14-125-336-_-Product

Mr. Laz
10-27-2010, 12:36 PM
dam low-rise Dell cases are a pain, probably going to need something like this:

specs on C521 say it has a PCI 2.0 express slot.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/graphics_cards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&sku=320-7859#Overview

http://i.dell.com/img.aspx?p=S8i2dGYHRqlfOausAVOL%2fBURClMmfWxfuui4o953rCwS1tWnPXmnt4sVkoPvvk75yN3%2fvi5ht4ylBJ9t9XelF ykFHnsGUkVkRseWdT6EZzU1DvKn7qlYf20AfYHppGDUFRkSU9bW7iU3lfUWMQ7l88ZA9g%3d%3d

DELL 256 MB RADEON HD 3470 Low Profile Graphics Card

<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="100%"><tbody><tr><td align="left">
</td><td align="right">
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2" width="706"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="fragCntBrdFull" valign="top" width="726"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="726"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="726"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="726"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="542"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="542"><table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(211, 207, 204); background-image: url(&quot;<a href=&quot;);" http:="" i.dell.com="" images="" global="" brand="" ui="" vert_grad_reverse400.jpg&quot;);="" target="_blank">
</td><td style="padding-left: 10px; padding-top: 10px;" valign="top"> <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="LongDescription_width">Harness the power of dedicated graphics memory in a high performance GPU with the 256 MB RADEON® HD 3470 Graphics Card from Dell™. It features high-performance 256 MB Memory that boosts your systems overall ... Full Description (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/graphics_cards/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=biz&cs=555&sku=320-7859#Overview)
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Hootie
10-27-2010, 12:39 PM
already made a purchase...thanks for the links though...i'll keep them in mind when this next one doesn't work

Hootie
11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
finally got everything up and working...

and wow

I should've done this when I bought the TV a year ago...this setup is super badass