PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz: Chiefs may be best in AFC West, but don’t ask Haley about it

Tribal Warfare
10-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Chiefs may be best in AFC West, but don’t ask Haley about it (http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/25/2352318/chiefs-may-be-best-in-afc-west.html)
By RANDY COVITZ
The Kansas City Star

Don’t dare bring up to Chiefs coach Todd Haley that his team is starting to separate from the rest of the AFC West. Not even if your name is Clark Hunt or Scott Pioli.

The Chiefs, 4-2 after Sunday’s victory over Jacksonville, own a 1 ½-game lead over second-place Oakland and 2 ½-game leads over struggling San Diego and reeling Denver.

Best of all, the Chiefs can pad that lead this week against winless Buffalo at Arrowhead Stadium while the Raiders play NFC West-leading Seattle; San Diego faces AFC South-leading Tennessee and Denver travels across the pond to London for a game against San Francisco.

Haley won’t stand for talk about leading the AFC West but instead is focused on his quarterly system that shows the Chiefs 1-1 in the second quarter of the season.

“Honestly, I correct people … when people in the organization say to me, ‘We’re this …’ whether it’s the owner, the general manager or coaches, or players, I say, we’re 1-1, trying to get to 2-1.

“I make my own schedule and it consists of 1-2-3-4 and a line … 1-2-3-4 and a line. So right now on the grease board in my office, I have one that says W-W-W-L, 3-1; and now I’m on the next box, and it says 1-1.

“I know we have the Buffalo Bills, who put 500 yards of offense on a really good (Baltimore) defense coming to town.”

Because of the NFL’s emphasis this year on scheduling most division games in the second half of the season, the Chiefs have played only one AFC West game, the season-opening victory over San Diego at Arrowhead.

They’ll play the remaining five divisional games during the last nine weeks of the season, starting with games at Oakland on Nov. 7 and at Denver on Nov. 14 and concluding with the Raiders on Jan. 2 at Arrowhead.

“The thing you have to look at is what we’re doing,” said linebacker Mike Vrabel, a veteran of four Super Bowl teams with New England. “You can’t look around and get a periscope out and see what everybody else is doing. Whenever I was on teams that were successful, we concentrated on who we were playing that week. …”

Still, Vrabel likes where the Chiefs are sitting.

“Being 4-2 gives us a chance to be successful,” Vrabel said. “It doesn’t do anything for us right now. When was the last time a team made the playoffs with four wins? The schedule is going to force us to play well late in the year. Any team historically that played well in the playoffs, played well after Thanksgiving.”

“That’s what we said from the beginning. We wanted to win the AFC West. That was our goal. I don’t know if anyone was listening at the beginning of the year, but that’s what our goal was.”

The Chiefs have fashioned their 4-2 season by going 3-0 at Arrowhead and 1-2 on the road. They have benefited — and will continue to benefit — from a soft schedule. Their first six opponents are a collective 16-24. Their next eight opponents (the play Denver and Oakland twice) are 22-31.

“We don’t pay much attention to it,” quarterback Matt Cassel said of leading the AFC West. “We’re six games into the season, and we still have 10 games left, and that seems like an eternity.”

Here’s a quick look at the other three AFC West teams.

• Oakland (3-4). The Raiders, as usual, defy description. Coming off a game with no touchdowns at San Francisco, the Raiders scored seven touchdowns in Sunday’s 59-14 win at Denver. They had three rushing touchdowns all season and five against the Broncos.

The Raiders are one win from reaching .500 in November for the first time since their Super Bowl season of 2002. The Raiders already have wins over San Diego and Denver, and if they can beat Seattle, that will set up a showdown for first place against the Chiefs on Nov. 7. But remember this: The wildly inconsistent Raiders haven’t won consecutive games since the final two weeks of the 2008 season.

• Denver (2-5). Remember that 6-0 start by Denver and the comparisons to the Chiefs’ 1-5 start? Since then, the Broncos are 4-13.

The Broncos rank last in the NFL in rushing and 30th in run defense, a combination that will get you beat every time, no matter how much they have quarterback Kyle Orton winging the ball. Denver has allowed 100-yard rushing games for three straight weeks by Baltimore’s Ray Rice, the Jets' LaDainian Tomlinson and Oakland's Darren McFadden. This week, the Broncos get San Francisco’s Frank Gore, who has had consecutive 100-yard games against Oakland and Carolina.

At least the Broncos will be rested for the Nov. 14 visit by the Chiefs’ top-ranked rushing team because Denver has a bye following this week’s trip to London.

• San Diego (2-5) The Chargers still rank first in the NFL in total offense and total defense but breakdowns on special teams, bonehead mistakes and the inability to run the ball have been devastating. No one will admit it, but the Chargers miss running back LaDanian Tomlinson far more than they expected.

The Chargers have gotten off to slow starts under Norv Turner in the past: 2-4 in 2009; 2-3 in 2008; and 1-3 in 2007 only to recover and win the division each year.

But the Chargers already have been through the soft part of their schedule with losses coming to the non-playoff teams of a year ago — the Chiefs, Seattle, Oakland and St. Louis. Last Sunday’s 23-loss loss to New England began a stretch of difficult games that continues with Tennessee this week and at Houston before a bye. The Chargers also have a game at Indianapolis on Nov. 28.

“History and a track record can only do so much," quarterback Philip Rivers told reporters after Sunday’s loss. “It can't go win the next game for you or what we should of or could have done. We have to go do it. We’ve got to win a game."

Psyko Tek
10-25-2010, 10:59 PM
The Chargers still rank first in the NFL in total offense and total defense
how can a team with a losing record have these stats

It boggles my tiny mind
offense means scoring
and defense means stopping scoring

I think these words don't mean what you think they do?

stevieray
10-25-2010, 11:01 PM
2-5 with a legit QB.

the horror. the horror of it all.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 11:30 PM
Haley's mindset is so perfect. I love it.

Hammock Parties
10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
The Raiders already have wins over San Diego and Denver, and if they can beat Seattle, that will set up a showdown for first place against the Chiefs on Nov. 7What?

Not if the Chiefs beat the 0-6 Bills.

4-4 Raiders would play the 5-2 Chiefs.

clyde05
10-25-2010, 11:45 PM

It boggles my tiny mind
offense means scoring

By having 18 turnovers through 7 games, when they only had 17 total last year

pikesome
10-26-2010, 12:03 AM
What?

Not if the Chiefs beat the 0-6 Bills.

4-4 Raiders would play the 5-2 Chiefs.

Wouldn't a Raider win give them 5-4 and the tie-breaker over our 5-3?

Hammock Parties
10-26-2010, 12:05 AM
Wouldn't a Raider win give them 5-4 and the tie-breaker over our 5-3?

No.

5-4 is a lower winning percentage.

pikesome
10-26-2010, 12:11 AM
No.

5-4 is a lower winning percentage.

And you would be correct, went and looked it up.

Let's just beat them and then it's a moot point.

Tribal Warfare
10-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Haley's mindset is so perfect. I love it.

though it's all bullshit coach's speak, it is broadcasted everywhere(ESPN) in the media so players and coaches do think about it .

jjchieffan
10-26-2010, 02:43 AM

It boggles my tiny mind
offense means scoring

They aren't first in scoring or scoring defense. Only yards. Yards mean nothing if you don't score/stop scoring. Look at the first half for the Cowgirls. Right after the punt return TD, they had 56 yards and 20 points(and 88 yards on the punt return). That kind of skews the stats, and it is the kind of thing that SD has been doing this season.

Chiefs4TheWin
10-26-2010, 02:48 AM

It boggles my tiny mind
offense means scoring

Inconceivable!

10-26-2010, 02:55 AM
And you would be correct, went and looked it up.

Let's just beat them and then it's a moot point.The head to head records really don't mean squat until you have played each division team twice.