PDA

View Full Version : Science Pretty Cool Conspircacy Theory: Tom Ogle

Otter
10-28-2010, 06:48 AM
Read this story last night on a conspiracy theory list and never heard of it before even though it's quiet interesting. A whole lot more details can be found through a Google search but here's the Readers Digest version;

Tom Ogle invented a vapor-fuel intake system, in 1977, for all automobiles. His system could be affixed to any existing car engine, and would enable the car to travel 100 miles on one gallon of gas. He claimed that the emissions were clean enough that you could dry your hair with the exhaust. He astounded the auto industry with his invention, and was, in fact, approached in 1978 by a representative of Shell Oil, who offered him $20 million, on the spot, for the patent and plans to his invention. He refused, stating flatly that Shell would simply shelve the idea and it would never see the light of day.

Tom Ogle was found dead from an apparent overdose of Darvon and alcohol poisoning on 19, August, 1981. He had been known to drink, but never so heavily that he had to go to the hospital. The Darvon is the weakest link to the report that his death was an accidental suicide: Darvon is an opioid painkiller. It does nothing else, and Ogle had no history of using it. He also had no immediate history of pain requiring an opioid analgesic. The theory states that he was murdered by a Shell-hired assassin, who made it look like a suicide. He actually got his fuel system patented, on 11 December, 1979, with patent number 4,177,179. He was shot and wounded outside an El Paso, TX, bar earlier in the summer of 1981. He claimed that people were after him for his patent. Three months after his death, his original schematics and blueprints went missing from the Patent Office in Washington, DC. Some of his schematics have turned up on the Internet, but not enough have surfaced to actually build his device.

Pushead2
10-28-2010, 06:52 AM
:hmmm:

Lex Luthor
10-28-2010, 06:53 AM
It's an interesting conspiracy theory, but you have to think that if his idea really worked, somebody else would have been able to invent the same thing in the last 33 years.

rockymtnchief
10-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Yup. I've read of Tom. He got his idea from working on a lawnmower with a hole in the gas tank, iirc.

Nzoner
10-28-2010, 07:01 AM
This immediately reminded me of the 1980 film The Formula

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NQ03IbEa1Bw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NQ03IbEa1Bw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

rockymtnchief
10-28-2010, 07:02 AM
http://tom.ogle.ms6.net/

1979 article.

Lbedrock1
10-28-2010, 07:15 AM
It's an interesting conspiracy theory, but you have to think that if his idea really worked, somebody else would have been able to invent the same thing in the last 33 years.

You think so huh? Who invented the light bulb? You will be surprised to hear the truth if you think it was Edison.

Otter
10-28-2010, 07:19 AM

I found this one particularly interesting because the oil companies may have not had the insight into the limitations of combustion engine technology at the time and believed the threat posed by his invention legitimate. I'm certainly not saying it's valid theory, just interesting.

Rausch
10-28-2010, 07:25 AM

Tell that to Tesla...

mesmith31
10-28-2010, 08:07 AM
Occam's Razor...just sayin...

Radar Chief
10-28-2010, 08:25 AM
You think so huh?

Yes, I do.
Even back in 1981 they knew that the roadblock to better fuel efficiency from a four-stroke motor isn’t necessarily the intake, it’s the ignition.
Until a better form of igniting the air/fuel mixture than a spark plug comes along engine designers are stuck with having to induct around a 14:1 air/fuel in order to keep igniting the mixture with one.
If this theory instead of being about some kind of “vapor intake”, assuming that’s somehow different than a typical “wet intake” i.e. what a carb or throttle body injection uses, was about an innovative ignition that does away with the spark plug then I would be intrigued. Until then this is the “60 MPG carburetor” conspiracy theory revisited.

jjjayb
10-28-2010, 08:37 AM
So the oil company offered him 20 million in 1978 and he declined. They then waited 4 years to have him killed. Sounds plausible. :rolleyes:

He had this magic system patented in 1979, yet it still hadn't taken off 2 years later when he killed himself. Yep. Sounds like a conspiricy to me.

Chiefs Rool
10-28-2010, 08:38 AM
wouldn't surprise me

Fish
10-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes, I do.
Even back in 1981 they knew that the roadblock to better fuel efficiency from a four-stroke motor isn’t necessarily the intake, it’s the ignition.
Until a better form of igniting the air/fuel mixture than a spark plug comes along engine designers are stuck with having to induct around a 14:1 air/fuel in order to keep igniting the mixture with one.
If this theory instead of being about some kind of “vapor intake”, assuming that’s somehow different than a typical “wet intake” i.e. what a carb or throttle body injection uses, was about an innovative ignition that does away with the spark plug then I would be intrigued. Until then this is the “60 MPG carburetor” conspiracy theory revisited.

This. Combustion engines are pretty simple when you get down to it. And there's not some magical device that can be slapped on the side to somehow overcome the same limitations we've been dealing with for 50 some years.

Bugeater
10-28-2010, 09:28 AM
The introduction of electronic fuel injection resulted in a substantial increase in fuel economy, why didn't Shell kill the guy who invented that?

DJ's left nut
10-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes, I do.

Sucks when someone introduces knowledge to a perfectly useless conspiracy theory, doesn't it?

threebag
10-28-2010, 09:52 AM
The introduction of electronic fuel injection resulted in a substantial increase in fuel economy, why didn't Shell kill the guy who invented that?

They tried but shell representitive was following in a vehicle that didn't have EFI. So before the hit could be made than ran out of gas and the EFI guy drove away unscathed.

Inspector
10-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Occam's Razor...just sayin...

I thought the razor was invented by Gillette.

siberian khatru
10-28-2010, 10:52 AM

That's exactly what THEY want you to believe.

boogblaster
10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Bout everything you're told anymore is some kind of cover-up .. believe it .......

Inspector
10-28-2010, 11:18 AM
That's exactly what THEY want you to believe.

I'll believe about anything.

I'm not very sharp.

TrickyNicky
10-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Another interesting read if you have some down time:

Multiple Gunshot Suicide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple_gunshot_suicide)

Dont worry, there are no graphic photos. Click on some of the names in the "See also:" section. Gary Webb, for instance, was one of the guys who was investigating the CIA trafficking in Cocaine to the US. He was later found dead with two gunshot wounds to the head. It was determined to be a suicide.

Dylan
10-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Who invented the light bulb? http://www.almostsmart.com/forums/images/smilies/ponder.gif

Rausch
10-28-2010, 12:03 PM

No.

He invented the "3-D Farve sex text..."