PDA

View Full Version : News Defense for the win

the Talking Can
10-31-2010, 05:48 PM
Chiefs D held a hot offense to 10 points through 5 full quarters. An offense that had dropped 30 on the pats and ravens.

They gave up a lot of 3rd down conversions, but no crushing big plays (though spiller was open for a td late in the game after smoking dj, overthrown luckily). And dj dropped 2 ints, one of which was a pick 6. Should have been even more dominate a performance.

Most notable was the fact we had guys making game changing plays at every level of the D.

The whole DL really. Until Bills went to quick hitting passes, our dl was mauling the bills OL. Dorsey is a man: he just owns his side of the field. Totally dominate against the run, and he chases plays.

Hali: Prison rape...the only accurate description of what Hali did to the Bills RT. Hali is relentless, and powerful. He sent the RT back several yards with just a pop at the snap...several times. And he made plays at key moments. And he gets held without punishment. Dude is waaay better than anyone imagined, regardless of the fact that everyone on the planet now claims they knew he was an all pro 3-4 OLB two years ago.....yeah.....right...posers

Flowers: In spite of getting caught a couple times late, he was stellar again. Hits hard and without fear. Has perfect technique on coverage. Plays physical coverage. Plays with a swagger. And caused a fumble which would have won us the game but for the bad luck of vrable being out of bounds.

Berry: In spite of being compared to Jackson by board idiots, he lead the team in tackles with 7, had a crucial late int (his second game in a row with an int). And his tackles were huge...twice he stone cold stopped players short of a first down. Like Flowers, he plays fearless, hits hard, has a swagger. Has more to learn, but was a crucial part of a top notch defensive effort against a solid passing offense.

I haven't even mentioned Belcher, who is just like a mob enforcer...quiet, remorseless, harmful..or good plays by stude, gilberry, vrabel, etc.

Our best players are young and ascending. Love watching this defense.....(still need a nt and a heart transplant for jackson though)

RedThat
10-31-2010, 05:53 PM
Derrick Johnson is starting to piss me off. Catch the ****ing football when it comes your way damn it!

He must of had 3 or 4 dropped int's this year alone. The guy has hands of stone.

Mama Hip Rockets
10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Defense was awesome on 1st and 2nd down. They've gotta start playing on third down too, though.

milkman
10-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Derrick Johnson is starting to piss me off. Catch the ****ing football when it comes your way damn it!

He must of had 3 or 4 dropped int's this year alone. The guy has hands of stone.

He's been working with Bowe.

Ming the Merciless
10-31-2010, 05:57 PM
Fuck Yes!

win baby

I am loving the possibilities with Romeo's 3-4

Ihope this feeling of confidence in the D lasts years.

Gracie Dean
no kidding. If we had a QB we would be a kick ass team

petegz28

That's why he is on defense.

Marcellus
They put up 500 on Baltimore. We gave up more running yards than normal but not surprised since I am guessing they were trying to stop the pass.

All in all an ugly win over a desperate team and only gave up 10 points.

Pants
10-31-2010, 05:58 PM

His fingers are all fucked up, mang.

CupidStunt
Hali is the DPOY in the NFL thus far. Don't give me that Matthews noise, he is not nearly as consistently disruptive as Hali. He closes a little better, but that's about it. And that's helped by the rest of that D doing its part, which KC's rarely does.

Marcellus

No shit. He could have picked off several but he is a fucking LB and he is playing well. Best season so far by a mile.

BigMeatballDave
10-31-2010, 05:59 PM

He must of had 3 or 4 dropped int's this year alone. The guy has hands of stone.Thats why he's a LB and not a TE.

tk13
10-31-2010, 06:00 PM
You look at it coming into today, and the Bills had averaged 26 pts/game and Fitzpatrick had the 2nd best QB rating in the league since he took over. So from that end, our defense did pretty well.

FloridaMan88
Gave up way too many 3rd and long conversions.

milkman
no kidding. If we had a QB we would be a kick ass team

Let's focus on the positive, and right now, the defense for this team is playing as well as anyone could hope for.

TC is right, this defense is full of young, ascending players who will only get better.

RedThat

lol...yeah but make some plays dammit

*dropped picks are whats seperating him from being a probowler.

Rausch
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
They put up 500 on Baltimore. We gave up more running yards than normal but not surprised since I am guessing they were trying to stop the pass.

All in all an ugly win over a desperate team and only gave up 10 points.

Pts are all that matters.

milkman
10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Pts are all that matters.

And New England and Baltiore both gave up 30+ points to this Bills team.

The Chiefs gave up 10.

petegz28
10-31-2010, 06:05 PM
lol...yeah but make some plays dammit

*dropped picks are whats seperating him from being a probowler.

I agree but the the one's he dropped today were tough catches. You have to remember as a defender your 1st job is not to catch the ball. Meaning when the ball gets on you it's usually a surprise to a point and you are reacting.

the Talking Can
10-31-2010, 06:08 PM
and we even gave them extra chances with williams rushing the punter flag and gilberry's roughing the qb....

and the game was always close, the defense never got a breather

it was frustrating to watch those 3rd downs, but it shouldn't overshadow a great performance....

keg in kc
10-31-2010, 06:15 PM
And they only got 10 because Vrabel's elbow didn't behave itself.

The secondary is continuing to improve (including that Berry guy, who sucks so much), Flowers (hell, and maybe Hali) is an all pro, and the line is generating pressure.

penchief
10-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Anyone analyze Jackson's play? Seems like I saw him clogging things up a couple of times and was right in the middle of some run-stuffing. Looked to me like he was holding his own.

LaChapelle
10-31-2010, 06:33 PM
More passes knocked down today
then I remember from all of last season

RedThat
10-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Anyone analyze Jackson's play? Seems like I saw him clogging things up a couple of times and was right in the middle of some run-stuffing. Looked to me like he was holding his own.

Yup. I noticed on one play he pushed the OT back and the RB had to dodge around the tackle. Still ended up in a loss of yards. Was pleased on that play he free up the LBer and DB's.

keg in kc
10-31-2010, 06:35 PM
I loved the way Hali was going over and through the right tackle half the time, and not around. Got a chuckle out of that. LMAO

Hammock Parties
10-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Kendrick Lewis was playing a lot of centerfield today and didn't fuck it up.

For Romeo to show that kind of trust in a rookie 5th rounder is pretty telling.

Andy Studebaker was on the field a LOT today and did OK. He needs some pass rush moves, though. He looks raw.

DeezNutz
10-31-2010, 06:38 PM
The DJ drops are frustrating, but the bright side of all this is that he's making some incredibly instinctive decisions to be in position to break up those passes.

I'll take that.

keg in kc
10-31-2010, 06:39 PM
DJ's forced fumble on Spiller was really nice, although we didn't get the ball.

boogblaster
10-31-2010, 06:50 PM
The D did their job today
The RBs did their job
The TEs did their jobs
The WRs medium game
The QB .. hummmmm

keg in kc
10-31-2010, 07:03 PM
One other guy I thought had a good game was Arenas. He didn't do anything that will make sportscenter, but he held a Buffalo receiver short on a 3rd down throw and broke up at least one pass that I can remember.

penchief
10-31-2010, 07:14 PM
One other guy I thought had a good game was Arenas. He didn't do anything that will make sportscenter, but he held a Buffalo receiver short on a 3rd down throw and broke up at least one pass that I can remember.

Plus he was really good on punt returns. Seems like he always makes several tackler's fail before he goes down.

keg in kc
10-31-2010, 07:14 PM
And he's not fumbling/muffing them (knock on wood).

Sweet Daddy Hate
10-31-2010, 08:18 PM
His fingers are all fucked up, mang.

I know, several people have been up his ass all day but the fact was; he was where he was supposed to be. They'e just going to have to let him heal up and get over it.