PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs A few observations from the game that worry me....

baitism
11-01-2010, 07:53 AM
1. Weis getting too "cute" with playcalling - After watching the game again, over half of our drives ended on series' where JC did not touch the ball. First down passes (non-play action) and empty backfield plays are retarded. We should be using PA on every pass when we are averaging ~7 yards a run. The empty backfield 4th and 1 was an abortion.

2. Cassel has the physical tools, maybe not the mental - I don't understand why Cassel took a hit and lost 3 yards instead of just chucking the ball out of bounds. Honestly, gaining 3 yards isn't even worth it if your QB is going to get banged around in the process.

I noticed at least 3 plays where Cassel could have checked down to a wide open JC in the flat for first downs but instead threw into double and, a couple times, triple coverage. If JC is open in the flat it should be a no-brainer to throw to him unless someone is wide open down the field.

3. From watching the replay of Succop on his missed FG, I don't even think he accounted for the wind, even with the flags on the goalposts blowing like crazy. He just kicked it straight down the middle and was shocked when the wind took it wide; that mental mistake could have cost us the game.

4. Haley and Weis need to simplify fourth down calls. I do not see the need to have any more than maybe 8 plays there, and 6 of them should just have Cassel handing it off.

5. Lastly, this team isn't good enough to be making all the mental mistakes they are. I can live with physical mistakes, be it Berry falling over in coverage or Cassel chucking one into the ground two yards in front of the receiver, but the mental mistakes are unacceptable. We had no business winning that game, and if it was anyone else other than the Bills at home, we would have been dealt a confidence-shattering defeat.

ArrowheadHawk
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
Good story Brah.

Reerun_KC
11-01-2010, 07:56 AM
I would love to discuss point #1 with everyone....

The Bad Guy
11-01-2010, 07:58 AM
5. Lastly, this team isn't good enough to be making all the mental mistakes they are. I can live with physical mistakes, be it Berry falling over in coverage or Cassel chucking one into the ground two yards in front of the receiver, but the mental mistakes are unacceptable. We had no business winning that game, and if it was anyone else other than the Bills at home, we would have been dealt a confidence-shattering defeat.

This is such a crock.

Ravens beat the Bills in OT = gritty and gutsy.

Chiefs beat the Bills in OT = luck.

MOhillbilly
11-01-2010, 07:58 AM
This team is a plug it has all the gameness youd want but lacks ability where it counts the most.

MOhillbilly
11-01-2010, 07:59 AM
This is such a crock.

Ravens beat the Bills in OT = gritty and gutsy.

Chiefs beat the Bills in OT = luck.

KC should have destroyed them by 30 and you know it.

Bane
11-01-2010, 08:00 AM
I would love to discuss point #1 with everyone....

Thread worthy? Link?ROFL

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2010, 08:03 AM
5. Lastly, this team isn't good enough to be making all the mental mistakes they are. I can live with physical mistakes, be it Berry falling over in coverage or Cassel chucking one into the ground two yards in front of the receiver, but the mental mistakes are unacceptable. We had no business winning that game, and if it was anyone else other than the Bills at home, we would have been dealt a confidence-shattering defeat.BS We ran on them at will. 274 yards. We made mistakes. So did Buffalo. It was an ugly win, but a W is a W.

Reerun_KC
11-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Thread worthy? Link?ROFL

You bastard!:cuss:

:D

Reerun_KC
11-01-2010, 08:06 AM
Btw, How bad did this team miss Dexter this weekend....

Its very obvious that Dexter is very important to this team.

Bane
11-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Btw, How bad did this team miss Dexter this weekend....

Its very obvious that Dexter is very important to this team.

I woud have never thought we'd miss a rookie so much but it's clear that we desperately need him in this offense.

baitism
11-01-2010, 08:09 AM
BS We ran on them at will. 274 yards. We made mistakes. So did Buffalo. It was an ugly win, but a W is a W.

While true, if we don't get an fluke INT where the ball slips out of Fitz's hands, we lose on that drive. In OT if Haley doesn't call a "Shanahan" timeout we lose, and the second kick missed by a foot. My point was the game shouldn't have even been close. If we ran for 274, we should have scored at least 21 in regulation.

Coogs
11-01-2010, 08:10 AM

We could have/should have had 21 points by 6 minutes into the game. We didn't. That's football. In years past we lose that game based on those first 6 minutes. Great win... we are 5-2... and it is Raiders week. Time to look forward, not backwards. :toast:

Dave Lane
11-01-2010, 08:13 AM
The thing I liked about Al Saunders was if he lined up on 4th and 1 with an empty backfield, he was as likely to run as pass. And IF you are going to pass on 4th and 1 line up like it's a run and do play action with a bootleg or something that makes them sell out to the run and then drop it over the top.

MOhillbilly
11-01-2010, 08:13 AM
We could have/should have had 21 points by 6 minutes into the game. We didn't. That's football. In years past we lose that game based on those first 6 minutes. Great win... we are 5-2... and it is Raiders week. Time to look forward, not backwards. :toast:
I can dig it.

Good I hate the FN Raiders. Campbell is gonna give our outside LBs and safeties fits.

loochy
11-01-2010, 08:14 AM
3. From watching the replay of Succop on his missed FG, I don't even think he accounted for the wind, even with the flags on the goalposts blowing like crazy. He just kicked it straight down the middle and was shocked when the wind took it wide; that mental mistake could have cost us the game.

I wasn't there, but I think the wind was gusting at random. It wasn't like the ball was blown off from the start...It looked fine until about 2/3 of the way there when a gust just curved the ball away like crazy. It really looked like the "hand of God" reached down and slapped the ball sideways.

Messier
11-01-2010, 08:14 AM

And the Saints should have creamed the Browns last week but they lost, then they turn around and beat what is considered one of the best team in the AFC.

It's the NFL.

MOhillbilly
11-01-2010, 08:15 AM
And the Saints should have creamed the Browns last week but they lost, then they turn around and beat what is considered one of the best team in the AFC.

It's the NFL.

im already over it. On to Oakland.

The Bad Guy
11-01-2010, 08:17 AM

Based on what though? The Ravens are tough as hell to play at home, with a really good D, and they gave up 30 to that offense.

The Bills are a bad team. However, they have been hanging points on people left and right.

wazimo
11-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Notes to Haley:
1. Take the points when you can. We're not good enough to pass up FG's.
2. Use Moeaki more (yes, he is on my FF team).
3. Pray that Asamough (sp?) is out this Sunday.
4. Beat the Raiduhs...then we have the faiding Broncos, the Cards, The Seahawks, and the Broncos before going to S.D. The Raiders/Chargers schedules are much tougher.

wazimo
11-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Bad Guy....I can't believe I agree with you for once. A win is a win. I don't care how they come. It's been way too long since I have been able to enjoy Sunday foootball.

Ugly wins are fine by me.

bluehawkdoc
11-01-2010, 08:26 AM
1. Weis getting too "cute" with playcalling - After watching the game again, over half of our drives ended on series' where JC did not touch the ball. First down passes (non-play action) and empty backfield plays are retarded. We should be using PA on every pass when we are averaging ~7 yards a run. The empty backfield 4th and 1 was an abortion.

Empty backfield on 3rd (especially) & 4th and short is silly when you have the best rushing duo in teh NFL.

tmax63
11-01-2010, 08:49 AM
The key is that the Chiefs are winning some of these ugly games. The last few years they would choked worse than an amateur on John Holmes's cock. They are getting some lessons learned and still lead the division.

Ralphy Boy
11-01-2010, 08:49 AM
I agree completely with the OP. I thought it was a good game and was excited for the win, but the fact that we had to win it the way we did is absurd. Buffalo is terrible and the fact that we barely beat them showed me exactly how much we benefit from an easy schedule. I can't complain because I expected nothing from this season, but it would be easy for me to get myself excited by looking at our record and that would be a big mistake. We must play better defense if we are going to have any shot in the playoffs.

Buffalo is horrible in every category and we should have dominated them.
Offense - 26th in total yards, 26th passing, 13th rushing and 25th in points.
Defense - 27th in total yards, 6th in passing, 32nd rushing and 32nd in points.

Ralphy Boy
11-01-2010, 08:51 AM
And for the record, I think Haley would agree.

DBOSHO
11-01-2010, 09:06 AM
While true, if we don't get an fluke INT where the ball slips out of Fitz's hands, we lose on that drive. In OT if Haley doesn't call a "Shanahan" timeout we lose, and the second kick missed by a foot. My point was the game shouldn't have even been close. If we ran for 274, we should have scored at least 21 in regulation.

And if we wouldve kicked a field goal, we wouldve won the game in 60 minutes.

If we did lose that game, it wouldve been given to them by our own retarded playcalling and decisions.

DBOSHO
11-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Notes to Haley:
1. Take the points when you can. We're not good enough to pass up FG's.
2. Use Moeaki more (yes, he is on my FF team).
3. Pray that Asamough (sp?) is out this Sunday.
4. Beat the Raiduhs...then we have the faiding Broncos, the Cards, The Seahawks, and the Broncos before going to S.D. The Raiders/Chargers schedules are much tougher.

I want asomugha to play, otherwise if we win, itll be "oh we didnt beat a team at full strength" even though we are going to be running 70% of the time.

And bowe pwns asomugha

Thorpilian
11-01-2010, 09:21 AM
I'll take the W, even if it was ugly. But, for people to say/act like this teams lucky bounces are gonna keep popping up in our favor. I say your crazy. Cassel cant keep a drive going, misses wide open players, takes needless sacks when he has time to unload, and our coaches are making it harder than it has to be. All together, we have some tinkering to do if we want to stay afloat at the top of this division. Or else, we are circling the drain, done. Those lucky bounces are gonna turn at some point. Whats up with or secondary not playing tough at the line on their WR's when its 3rd and short/medium? One quick move and they get the first down it seems like every time. Most teams get to 3rd down and they are waiting to hold em for a punt. I just watch waiting for another 3rd down conversion on soft coverage. I dont get it? HHMM? Head scratcher. GO CHIEFS!

Micjones
11-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Every team has bounces go their way here and there.
Thing is... You also have to meet that good fortune with good decision-making. Leaving points on the field has to stop.

That game was closer than it needed to be based solely upon the decisions this staff made early.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-01-2010, 09:45 AM
seriously that bills team reminded me back in 2008, when we were always close but always found a way to lose.

Fish
11-01-2010, 09:48 AM
The game is always coached to perfection in hindsight.....

FAX
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Quite so, Mr. KC Fish.

The empty backfield on 3rd and 4th and short is problematic, though. I honestly don't know what Weis is thinking and no hindsight was necessary ... when I saw the formation and nobody motioning into the backfield, I started cringing.

FAX

salame
11-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Quite so, Mr. KC Fish.

The empty backfield on 3rd and 4th and short is problematic, though. I honestly don't know what Weis is thinking and no hindsight was necessary ... when I saw the formation and nobody motioning into the backfield, I started cringing.

FAX

indeed
come on charlie put down the snacks and focus!

FAX
11-01-2010, 10:21 AM
The Cheetos theory is a good one.

However, it may be that Weis is attempting to "develop" Cassel by putting the game in his hands in those situations. Weis may not have a gall bladder, but he has balls.

FAX

Chiefnj2
11-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Quite so, Mr. KC Fish.

FAX

KC is in the bottom half of the league in what football outsiders dubs "power rushing", which I think of as short-yardage situations. That may be why Weiss is spreading it out in some of those situations.

FAX
11-01-2010, 10:26 AM
KC is in the bottom half of the league in what football outsiders dubs "power rushing", which I think of as short-yardage situations. That may be why Weiss is spreading it out in some of those situations.

Spreading it out is cool. Good for girls. Good for blackberry jam.

No possible run threat in the backfield? Not so good.

FAX

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2010, 10:28 AM
KC should have destroyed them by 30 and you know it.Maybe so, but sometimes points dont come so easily. What I like though, is we held them to 10 pts.

LaChapelle
11-01-2010, 10:29 AM
DO NOT stop playing/trying until the whistle blows/the game is won
and please wash your hands before using the library computer
thank you

BigMeatballDave
11-01-2010, 10:30 AM
While true, if we don't get an fluke INT where the ball slips out of Fitz's hands, we lose on that drive. In OT if Haley doesn't call a "Shanahan" timeout we lose, and the second kick missed by a foot. My point was the game shouldn't have even been close. If we ran for 274, we should have scored at least 21 in regulation.I can play the 'IF' game,too. We won. Deal with it.

KcFaNiNJerZeY
11-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I can play the 'IF' game,too. We won. Deal with it.

This

Demonpenz
11-01-2010, 10:34 AM
This team didn't turn the ball over. IDK I have a really hard time complaining about much because you watch every game around the league and players, coaches, etc fuck up they are people.