PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Is this the most well disciplined Chiefs team since the Marty era?

PunkinDrublic
11-01-2010, 11:00 AM
I think that's the untold story of our improvement this year. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. I love watching teams trying to run sweeps on our defense and seeing guys string it out and getting to the runner. We're not getting killed too bad on penalties either aside from the phantom PI calls which really aren't our fault. Teams like Dallas and San Diego are underachieving with superior talent but are losing because they do a lot of stupid things that undisciplined teams do.

FAX
11-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Romeo has helped these guys a lot ... not just with Xs and Os, though. I imagine that they respect the guy and are, therefore, willing to do what he tells them to do. That, and the vast improvement in overall conditioning, has benefited this defense a great deal.

Our defense really doesn't seem to be terribly complicated. Some of the coverage packages require communication because they'll show a zone that's really man and vice-versa. We also play a kind of cover-2 in some situations, it appears. But, basically, it looks to be a pretty straightforward defensive scheme that allows the guys to just play ball.

A full year of experience in the 3/4 doesn't hurt either, probably.

FAX

keg in kc
11-01-2010, 11:24 AM
It gets mocked a lot, but it falls into the "right 53" approach, where the idea is to get a roster full of guys willing to play assignment-sound football within the concept of the scheme. I would assume that's why DJ was benched last year, and since he's bought in, why he's playing so well this year. The defense is not 11 guys trying to make plays anymore, it's a cohesive unit trying to collectively reach a goal. It's part front office/personnel and part coaching/coordinating.

Rain Man
11-01-2010, 11:27 AM
On defense, the other thing I see is that everyone is tackling. After so many years of seeing guys whiff on tackles and not finish up on tackles, it's refreshing to see it being done well. So when they string a sweep out, you know that someone out there at the point of attack is going to make the tackle instead of half-heartedly attempting to bump the guy out of bounds or do a shoulder tackle. Flowers and Belcher come to mind in particular as guys who really tackle properly.

Sandolf
11-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Who's Marty?

Rausch
11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
On defense, the other thing I see is that everyone is tackling. After so many years of seeing guys whiff on tackles and not finish up on tackles, it's refreshing to see it being done well. So when they string a sweep out, you know that someone out there at the point of attack is going to make the tackle instead of half-heartedly attempting to bump the guy out of bounds or do a shoulder tackle. Flowers and Belcher come to mind in particular as guys who really tackle properly.

Fucking great, 'eh?...:)