PDA

View Full Version : Life San Fran Law curbs McDonald's Happy Meal toys

petegz28
11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – San Francisco has become the first major U.S. city to pass a law that cracks down on the popular practice of giving away free toys with unhealthy restaurant meals for children.

San Francisco's Board of Supervisors passed the law on Tuesday on a veto-proof 8-to-3 vote. It takes effect on December 1.

The law, like an ordinance passed earlier this year in nearby Santa Clara County, would require that restaurant kids' meals meet certain nutritional standards before they could be sold with toys.

Opponents of the law include the National Restaurant Association and McDonald's Corp, which used its now wildly popular Happy Meal to pioneer the use of free toys to market directly to children.

"We are extremely disappointed with today's decision. It's not what our customers want, nor is it something they asked for," McDonald's spokeswoman Danya Proud said in a statement.

"Getting a toy with a kid's meal is just one part of a fun, family experience at McDonald's," Proud said.

The San Francisco law would allow toys to be given away with kids' meals that have less than 600 calories, contain fruits and vegetables, and include beverages without excessive fat or sugar.

Backers of the ordinance say it aims to promote healthy eating habits while combating childhood obesity.

"Our children are sick. Rates of obesity in San Francisco are disturbingly high, especially among children of color," said San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar, who sponsored the measure.

"This is a challenge to the restaurant industry to think about children's health first and join the wide range of local restaurants that have already made this commitment," Mar said.

HAPPY MEALS IN THE HOT SEAT

Fifteen percent of American children are overweight or obese -- which puts them at risk of developing heart disease, diabetes and cancer, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In some states, the childhood obesity rate is over 30 percent.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest this summer threatened to sue McDonald's if it did not stop using Happy Meal toys to lure children into its restaurants. A lawyer for that group said it is on track to file the lawsuit in the next several weeks.

McDonald's debuted the Happy Meal in the United States in 1979 with toys like the "McDoodler" stencil and the "McWrist" wallet. Modern offerings have included themed items from popular films like "Shrek" or sought-after toys like Transformers, Legos or miniature Ty Beanie Babies.

In 2006, the latest year for which data is available, fast-food companies led by McDonald's spent more than $520 million on advertising and toys to promote meals for children, according to a U.S. Federal Trade Commission report.

When the efforts of other food and beverage companies were included, promotional spending aimed at children topped $1.6 billion.

petegz28
11-04-2010, 09:30 AM
sorry if repost

Iowanian
11-04-2010, 09:32 AM
A toy in a Happy Meal is bad for kids in San Fran......but a parade with 1000 pair of assless chaps and dildo unicorn horns is Culture.

Here is an idea. A toy from McDonalds doesn't make your kid fat, unless your dumb, lazy ass is taking your child there often enough to fill a bucket a month.

Extra Point
11-04-2010, 09:35 AM
First time I saw the article. SF seems to set a good standard here. Less lead in the bloodstream of kids, too, from all the cheap Chinese toys they give away.

Bane
11-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Fuck'em.We don't eat there anyway.

Bugeater
11-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Meh, the toys are all crap anyway, I don't ever recall my son having much interest in them when he was young. He was more interested in the PlayPlace thing, those will be the next thing to go.

DJ's left nut
11-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Nuke the state. Just nuke the damn state.

CoMoChief
11-04-2010, 09:55 AM
A toy in a Happy Meal is bad for kids in San Fran......but a parade with 1000 pair of assless chaps and dildo unicorn horns is Culture.

Here is an idea. A toy from McDonalds doesn't make your kid fat, unless your dumb, lazy ass is taking your child there often enough to fill a bucket a month.

NO.....shit man!!! SF is the most ass backwards place on this planet.

gblowfish
I'll have what Ronald is having...

Sofa King
Well, they've already tried getting rid of Ronald McDonald... guess this was just the next step...

Fish
11-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah... stupid lazy parents aren't offering their own children proper food to eat... so let's use the government to take toys away from the kids. That sounds like the perfect plan!

I'm sure all these fine parents will just start cooking their kids good meals now instead of shoving fast food at them...

PunkinDrublic
11-04-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm actually for giving out tiny little toys that kids can potentially choke on. Anything that can get them to shut the fuck up in the movie theater is alright by me.

Rain Man
11-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Meh, the toys are all crap anyway, I don't ever recall my son having much interest in them when he was young. He was more interested in the PlayPlace thing, those will be the next thing to go.

If they had an adult PlayPlace, I'd eat at McDonald's every day.

Demonpenz
11-04-2010, 10:19 AM
the toy with a mcnugget driving a nascar was pretty the only one I remember from a kid and I was fat.

Hydrae
11-04-2010, 10:22 AM

They won't take away the PlayPlace, that is the most exercise some of these kids get each day.

JD10367
11-04-2010, 10:28 AM
For a city that prides itself on being in-your-face gay, leftist, liberal, etc.,., it's pretty fucking hypocritical of them to force a company into doing business how the city wants them to. I guess we should stop corner stores from selling candy, no? That's all sugar and bad for kids. How about Doritos; should we start carding, and only sell them to over-18? Pardon the unintended pun, but go fuck yourself, San Fran.

LaChapelle
11-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Then take away the greasy box the meal came in
the streaks on minivan back windows from it being pushed like a car
or train is dangerous to us all

blaise
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Thank God they're saving parents from the horrors of responsibility.

Chiefs Rool
11-04-2010, 11:13 AM

kids can be pretty powerful in choosing a restaurant though. McDonalds markets to kids strictly for that purpose.

blaise
11-04-2010, 11:17 AM
kids can be pretty powerful in choosing a restaurant though. McDonalds markets to kids strictly for that purpose.

So do Nestle Quik, candy manufacturers, video game makers, potato chip companies and many other things that aren't good for kids.
What's worse for kids, TV and video games or a Happy Meal (that you can get with apples instead of french fries, by the way)
And it's laughable that it's thought parents are making any better nutritional choices at home.

Chiefs Rool
11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
So do Nestle Quik, candy manufacturers, video game makers, potato chip companies and many other things that aren't good for kids.
What's worse for kids, TV and video games or a Happy Meal (that you can get with apples instead of french fries, by the way)
And it's laughable that it's thought parents are making any better nutritional choices at home.

my mom would take us out to McD's every once in a while. But pretty much everday she forced us to eat healthy. Nothing but cheerios and a fruit for breakfast and for dinner it was always baked meat, a steamed veggie and brown rice or something like that.

I do realize there are tons of bad parents out there though and don't care what their kids eat or do.

jspchief
11-04-2010, 11:22 AM
The government will probably be paying for these kids' bypass surgery in 40 years, they might as well take a proactive approach.

petegz28
11-04-2010, 11:25 AM
It just really boggles the mind on how they can legally do this? I don't expect this will stand long. No one forces people to go to McDonald's.

thebrad84
11-04-2010, 11:25 AM

So you tell your fatass son or daughter to shut up and if you don't like what you're having for dinner, then you aren't eating..

blaise
11-04-2010, 11:27 AM
my mom would take us out to McD's every once in a while. But pretty much everday she forced us to eat healthy. Nothing but cheerios and a fruit for breakfast and for dinner it was always baked meat, a steamed veggie and brown rice or something like that.

I do realize there are tons of bad parents out there though and don't care what their kids eat or do.

That's my point though. The parents that just give kids Happy Meals all the time because of the toy aren't all of a sudden going to say, "hey, let's make better choices" because the toy isn't there. This isn't going to compel parents to become wiser, it's punishing a business for parental irresponsibility.
I don't get where the line is drawn. Should they outlaw Lucky Charms and Cookie Crisp? What about the little toys that contain candy on the bottom shelf of grocery stores? Those are placed there specifically because they're on a child's level. Does Chuck E Cheese serve healthy pizza? Have they compared the nutritional value of a Happy Meal to any other food product with a marketing tie-in directed toward children?

petegz28
11-04-2010, 11:28 AM
So you tell your fatass son or daughter to shut up and if you don't like what you're having for dinner, then they aren't eating..

With very few exceptions, if I did not eat what was cooked for dinner I was not allowed in the kitchen the rest of the night. I was not allowed to skip dinner then pig out on junk food.

blaise
11-04-2010, 11:28 AM
The government will probably be paying for these kids' bypass surgery in 40 years, they might as well take a proactive approach.

They should outlaw cigarette sales and soda pop sales for adults as well. Why not just outlaw McDonalds and save everyone?

Rausch
11-04-2010, 11:29 AM
My home town just outlawed smoking in all PUH-BLIK places.

I could almost hear the bartenders 'round here lean back and scream like Vader in the last flick...

Hydrae
11-04-2010, 11:30 AM
With very few exceptions, if I did not eat what was cooked for dinner I was not allowed in the kitchen the rest of the night. I was not allowed to skip dinner then pig out on junk food.

If I didn't clear my plate then I would get it served to me for breakfast the next day. And I love me some breakfast!

petegz28
11-04-2010, 11:32 AM
That's my point though. The parents that just give kids Happy Meals all the time because of the toy aren't all of a sudden going to say, "hey, let's make better choices" because the toy isn't there. This isn't going to compel parents to become wiser, it's punishing a business for parental irresponsibility.
I don't get where the line is drawn. Should they outlaw Lucky Charms and Cookie Crisp? What about the little toys that contain candy on the bottom shelf of grocery stores? Those are placed there specifically because they're on a child's level. Does Chuck E Cheese serve healthy pizza? Have they compared the nutritional value of a Happy Meal to any other food product with a marketing tie-in directed toward children?

The Bay area has been in a war with McDondald's for some years now. I remember about 5 years ago or so they were screaming that Mcdonald's MUST offer healthier choices to their menu. That thinking is so bad. I forget who he was as he is gone now, but some local KC talking head during all that felt like the grocery stores should HAVE to carry more choices than they already do.

What it comes down too is this is a diseased way of thinking. People think McDonald's MUST serve them what they want or it should be made illegal to not do so. This is a serious mental problem as it all is based on the fact that you cannot control yourself or your kids and go to Mcdonald's even though you don't like what they serve.

Typical Left Coast, liberal BS.

thebrad84
11-04-2010, 11:32 AM

Exactly. It's not really that hard to keep your 3 to 12 year old kid from going to McDonalds and force him to eat healthy, home cooked meals if that is what you want as a parent.

Rausch
11-04-2010, 11:34 AM
If I didn't clear my plate then I would get it served to me for breakfast the next day. And I love me some breakfast!

I'll never eat watermelon flavored anything again.

I begged and begged to get some watermelon flavored gum and once I did get it I couldn't stand it.

"You'll chew every piece for 2 hours before you eat again."

To this day I don't impulse buy...

thebrad84
11-04-2010, 11:36 AM

That's a great idea...amazing how responsible parents can come up with clever ways to influence the choices children make.

blaise
11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I honestly think a kid could eat two Happy Meals a week and not get fat if the kid went outside and ran and played like kids should.

petegz28
11-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I honestly think a kid could eat two Happy Meals a week and not get fat if the kid went outside and ran and played like kids should.

Word

Rausch
11-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Wait, who's going to make them do-.....oooooOOOOOOOOH...

Chiefs Rool
if I ever have kids, I'm gonna use factual scare tactics.

You want McDonalds? Well you will get fat and everybody at school will make fun of you all day long!

You want McDonalds? Fries cause CANCER!!!

You want McDonalds? Those are minimum wage employees handling your food and they most likely don't wash their hands EVER!

eazyb81
"Our children are sick. Rates of obesity in San Francisco are disturbingly high, especially among children of color," said San Francisco Supervisor Eric Mar, who sponsored the measure.

What an odd statement.

Do "children of color" need extra help from the government to not get fat?

Would Eric Mar call it out if the obesity of white children was especially high?

Donger
11-04-2010, 11:42 AM
I think this is great. In today's crazy world, parents are too busy to protect their kids from eating junk food. What does a little help from government hurt?

Frosty
11-04-2010, 11:43 AM

Only to spineless parents that give in to their kids' whining.

Rausch
11-04-2010, 11:45 AM
if I ever have kids, I'm gonna use factual scare tactics.

You want McDonalds? Well you will get fat and everybody at school will make fun of you all day long!

You want McDonalds? Fries cause CANCER!!!

You want McDonalds? Those are minimum wage employees handling your food and they most likely don't wash their hands EVER!

Sounds like my sister-n-law.

My nephew is born to the ways of teh Kraut and is already saying "nein!" to crap-tasting health food and feel-g00d Mom's psychobabble diet of non-meat.

He makes me so proud...:crybaby:

The Franchise
11-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Way to go San Francisco. :facepalm:

Nuke the state. Just nuke the damn state.

Can you give me a day to clear out my house first?

Rausch
11-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Can you give me a day to clear out my house first?

Ok, Pack...

Bob Dole
11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
"The Center for Science in the Public Interest this summer threatened to sue McDonald's if it did not stop using Happy Meal toys to lure children into its restaurants."

They've been very effective in luring those wandering bands of unsupervised children with pockets full of money for far too long!!

Rooster
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
So you tell your fatass son or daughter to shut up and if you don't like what you're having for dinner, then you aren't eating..

Exactly. They are the parent not the friend of these kids. Too many parents want to be a friend and not do there jobs. Raise your damn kids.

listopencil
11-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I get fast food for my kids so infrequently that they look forward to a visit to Subway. My 13 year old son was especially proud of the fact that he worked himself up to putting every topping on his sandwiches last Summer.

listopencil
11-04-2010, 12:26 PM
Actually I'm kind of impressed with him as well, now that I think about it. How many 11/12 year olds would ask for raw spinach leaves to be added to their food?

loochy
11-04-2010, 12:34 PM
How about we tax every parent a ceratin amount per pound that their child is overweight?

mlyonsd
11-04-2010, 12:38 PM
When my wife worked at my son's school helping special-ed kids she always bought happy meals when we were at McDonald's to eat, keeping the toys and later handing them out for students as accomplishments.

Why does SF hate kids?

KCUnited
11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Book It made me obese, but I could read on an advanced level.

11-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Holy Christ!!! Some dumbass city went and did this? I had heard somebody in New York was trying to get the same thing done. What dumbasses.

11-04-2010, 02:09 PM
"The Center for Science in the Public Interest this summer threatened to sue McDonald's if it did not stop using Happy Meal toys to lure children into its restaurants."

They've been very effective in luring those wandering bands of unsupervised children with pockets full of money for far too long!!

The luring children line kills me.

11-04-2010, 02:11 PM
****'em.We don't eat there anyway.Steve Bono would be proud.

Frosty
11-04-2010, 02:16 PM
The luring children line kills me.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9RWynSw5U8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/r9RWynSw5U8&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

thebrad84
11-04-2010, 02:28 PM
How about we tax every parent a ceratin amount per pound that their child is overweight?

In most cases, all you would have to do is forfeit a certain amount of their disability checks until their children make a certain fitness level requirement. No special tax needed. Nothing will motivate the fat and lazy quite like taking their guberment checks from them.

Inspector
11-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Ewww...Our subordinates we hire to operate the functions of government are attempting to tell the boss what to do? That seems...I dunno...kinda weird.

Wonder what the people in free countries that are run by the people and for the people think about stuff like this. I bet they wouldn't stand for it. Or maybe they would. Who knows?

Bane
11-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Steve Bono would be proud.

Sorry dude,the place absolutely stinks to me.I can't stand being inside the joint for anything.Then as expensive as shit is getting I'd much rather go to a nice "sit down" place where at least you can stand the smell while you eat.Oh yeah and about the only goddamn thing you can order at the drive thru that they dont fuck up is a soda.So yeah,fuck'em.

notorious
11-04-2010, 03:30 PM
I will never slam a city or state for voting to do something that the majority wants.

People can move if they don't like it.

Do it at the Federal level, though, and I have major problems.......

San Fran can go fuck itself until the big one takes them down into the Pacific. Beautiful city, screwed up culture IMO.

BWillie
11-04-2010, 04:06 PM
In Nazi California, chinese mcdonald toy eat youuuuuuu