PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Former Chiefs Coach Marty Schottenheimer On Raider Week

NIUhuskies
11-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Former Chiefs Coach Marty Schottenheimer On Raider Week
Photo

By Joel Thorman - Editor

Read More: Oakland Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs

Former Chiefs head coach Marty Schottenheimer talks about Raider week.

Follow @sbnkansascity on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Kansas City on Facebook.

Bookmark and Share Tweet

Nov 4, 2010 - The Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders have been rivals for some time but that rivalry was taken to new heights in the 1990s with Marty Schottenheimer as the head coach of the Chiefs. He demanded that his players dislike the Raiders as he did and soon the Raider-hater culture was born.

Marty talked this week with Kevin Kietzmann of 810 WHB's Between the Lines and offered up his thoughts on Raider week.

"It was different," Marty said of Raider week. "I'd walk in there in the meetings during Raider week and before I could open my mouth the guys would look around and say, 'Hey guys, the coach is here. Let's go!. It's Raider week!"

As someone who's best memories are the '90s Chiefs, I can remember this feeling Raider week meant something a lot more than it does now but that's because both teams were actually good. Of course that didn't stop Marty from going 18-3 against them those years.

Here's what Marty had to say when asked about his dislike for the Raiders.

"I have always just been very uncomfortable about the fact that the Raiders management has continued to steadfastly to feel as though they're better than the rest. And I'm not necessarily just talking about the on the field aspect of it. Al Davis made signfiicant contributions to the American Football League.

The thing that always troubled me is that they have these issues there were being ovted on during the league meetings for one thing or another. If there were 28 teams, there would be 27-1 and the Raiders would be the team that would vote in the opposite way to the unanimous sense of everyone else. Of course the roles were changed and ultimately would happen is that Al Davis was going to go and in effect keep these issues from being unanimous and that always bothered me.

He recalls one game that occurred before he became head coach in '89 -- the Chiefs were pretty miserable during the '80s -- that has stuck with him to this day.

I remember one game -- it occurred before I became the coach -- but I remember watching it and studying it on tape. The game where the Raiders came into Arrowhead and were rather belligerent about the way they were going about their business and I think they won rather handily and that really kind of stuck with me. I've always thought the league was more important as a whole than any individual team and I don't think the Raiders ever felt that way.

He also shared his philosophy on how to beat the Raiders and it's very entertaining. Essentially, keep playing hard and the Raiders will eventually beat themselves.

As a football team there was a philosophy relative to how you beat the Raiders. That was you went into the game with the understanding that the first half would come and go and you would want to stay in the contest but if you stayed the course into the fourth quarter you would find a way to somehow beat them or they'd beat themselves and you'd end up the winner anyway. That's the way they functioned in my view.

I think you could bring Marty in as a motivational speaker during every Raiders week and he'd get the troops fired up to the point they'd be ready to break out of the locker room. Marty never hid his feelings for the Raiders and I think that will be one of the lasting memories of him in Kansas City.

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansas-city-chiefs/2010/11/4/1793693/kansas-city-chiefs-oakland-raiders-rivalry-marty-schottenheimer

Rain Man
11-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I wonder what the deal was with the one game he was studying. It sounds almost more like it was an off-the-field thing than an on-the-field thing.

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
18-3. Thats some fucking ownership right there.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Fun read. Thanks!

Rain Man
11-04-2010, 12:21 PM
18-3. Thats some ****ing ownership right there.

Marty even beat the Raiders in a playoff game once. His anti-Raider strength was even stronger than his anti-playoff strength.

kysirsoze
11-04-2010, 12:27 PM
I like how the author -- who is apparently the editor -- got tired of quotation marks half-way through and just said, "Fuck it.

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2010, 12:30 PM
31-11 since 1990. We've been fucking the Faiders hard in the ass for 2 decades. LMAO

tomahawk kid
11-04-2010, 12:35 PM
The last couple of seasons, there's been ALOT of Faiders fans (some who appear to be on work release) at Arrowhead.

Its only increased my animosity.

I hope that changes this year

Mr. Flopnuts
11-04-2010, 12:37 PM
31-11 since 1990. We've been fucking the Faiders hard in the ass for 2 decades. LMAO

I knew it was around 30-10 but wasn't sure of the exact number. I've been riding the Faider fans hard with that stat this week. 1 for 4 isn't bad!!!! ROFL

Warrior5
11-04-2010, 12:39 PM
31-11 since 1990. We've been ****ing the Faiders hard in the ass for 2 decades. LMAO

How awesome would it be to make it 32-11 this Sunday?

Fire Me Boy!
11-04-2010, 12:40 PM
I like how the author -- who is apparently the editor -- got tired of quotation marks half-way through and just said, "**** it.

I noticed the same thing. Also liked how the "editor" misused "who's" instead of "whose".

InChiefsHeaven
11-04-2010, 12:41 PM
It IS odd that we are playing a game against the Raiders this weekend, and the game actually means something...even people around the league will be interested in the outcome. What the hell is going on??

CoMoChief
11-04-2010, 12:56 PM
He also shared his philosophy on how to beat the Raiders and it's very entertaining. Essentially, keep playing hard and the Raiders will eventually beat themselves.

ROFL Never has there been a more true statement than that

Championship
11-04-2010, 01:04 PM
31-11 since 1990. We've been ****ing the Faiders hard in the ass for 2 decades. LMAO

The early 90's also happened to be the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game.

Just saying.

Rausch
11-04-2010, 01:14 PM
The early 90's also happened to be the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game.

Just saying.

Pay attention.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VScblwhj9lU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VScblwhj9lU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

CrazyHorse
11-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I miss Marty for that reason.

In a league where coaches and players try soooo hard not to give the opponent bulletin board material, Marty handed out hatred and rhetoric.

And it worked!

Our record against the Raiders during that span speaks for itself. Coaches now are so worried about getting the other team fired up they forget to fire up thier own team. Its the single most likeable thing about the Jets coach. He's not afraid to say "we can beat you and expect to beat you". His players and fan base have responded.

Arrowhead would also get behind that kind of mentality. We were at our best against rival teams. Especially when we knew we had our Coach to back us up.

The losses are a little tougher I'll admit. But the victories are sweeter.

And the team plays better.

The way its done now almost sends a message to your team that you cant beat the other guy. Listening to Haleys presser, you would think we were playing a far superior team. What kind of a message is that to send to your players.

I would have said that we are the best running team in the league and we plan to run it down thier throat. We expect to win the division and this will get us one step closer to that. For them to beat us they will have to play thier best game this season. So lets line em up and let the best team win.

Championship
11-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I would have said that we are the best running team in the league and we plan to run it down thier throat. We expect to win the division and this will get us one step closer to that. For them to beat us they will have to play thier best game this season. So lets line em up and let the best team win.

ROFL

The Raiders have by far the more talented team, so that statement is false.

kysirsoze
11-04-2010, 01:24 PM
ROFL

You have got to be the lamest troll I've ever seen.

Rausch
11-04-2010, 01:25 PM

In a league where coaches and players try soooo hard not to give the opponent bulletin board material, Marty handed out hatred and rhetoric.

And it worked!

Our record against the Raiders during that span speaks for itself. Coaches now are so worried about getting the other team fired up they forget to fire up thier own team. Its the single most likeable thing about the Jets coach. He's not afraid to say "we can beat you and expect to beat you". His players and fan base have responded.

Arrowhead would also get behind that kind of mentality. We were at our best against rival teams. Especially when we knew we had our Coach to back us up.

The way its done now almost sends a message to your team that you cant beat the other guy. Listening to Haleys presser, you would think we were playing a far superior team. What kind of a message is that to send to your players.

I think it's clear and easy to say now that Marty wasn't the problem...

CrazyHorse
11-04-2010, 01:27 PM
ROFL

Thats why you are .500.

You see, I think we are more talented than the Cardinals. And they whipped your asses. So, you probably know what I think about the talent level of the Raiders.

Rausch
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM
Thats why you are .500.

You see, I think we are more talented than the Cardinals. And they whipped your asses. So, you probably know what I think about the talent level of the Raiders.

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2010, 01:28 PM

And it worked!

Eh, you just have to realize that in practice he's probably laying it down pretty thick with the guys.

sportsman1
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM
You know had the chance to meet Marty at Lamar's funeral in Dallas. I honestly didn't know to shake his hand or kick him in the nuts. I shook his hand, but I still don't know if that was appropriate.

CrazyHorse
11-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Something Marty didn't get enough credit for IMO, was his team building.

He could assemble talent and get them playin well, as well as any one else in the league. He just never got that playoff monkey off his back. I would love to see him as a personnel director or scout. He would be one of the best, I'd bet.

BigMeatballDave
11-04-2010, 01:32 PM
ROFL

The Raiders have by far the more talented team, so that statement is false.Will you come around Sunday evening to eat your crow?

CrazyHorse
11-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Eh, you just have to realize that in practice he's probably laying it down pretty thick with the guys.

I hear what you're sayin. But to go on record in front of the media and pump up the other team doesn't help morale of your own team regardless what you say in practice. It just comes across like you're talking out both sides of your face.IMO

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2010, 01:42 PM
I hear what you're sayin. But to go on record in front of the media and pump up the other team doesn't help morale of your own team regardless what you say in practice. It just comes across like you're talking out both sides of your face.IMO

Yeah, I could do without the complimenting altogether.

Rausch
11-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Something Marty didn't get enough credit for IMO, was his team building.

He could assemble talent and get them playin well, as well as any one else in the league. He just never got that playoff monkey off his back. I would love to see him as a personnel director or scout. He would be one of the best, I'd bet.

He was what he was - an excellent coach.

THE END.

He wasn't a GM, and at that time didn't know how to fight with a GM, and he took the fall.

Plus he gave Carl leverage by fucking other people than his wife...

Lbedrock1
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Marty is the reason I have hatred for the Raiders, oh yeah and their fans.

MTG#10
11-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Will you come around Sunday evening to eat your crow?

Yeah right, if we win he'll just blame it on injuries...

WhitiE
11-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Marty even beat the Raiders in a playoff game once. His anti-Raider strength was even stronger than his anti-playoff strength.

ROFL good stuff man :clap:

ReynardMuldrake
11-04-2010, 05:17 PM
ROFL

I see, the Raiders are one of the most talented teams in the league, just not quite talented enough to beat the 49'ers. Those Niners are very, very hard to beat, you know.

ModSocks
11-04-2010, 05:19 PM
I see, the Raiders are one of the most talented teams in the league, just not quite talented enough to beat the 49'ers. Those Niners are very, very hard to beat, you know.

I can't think of any team that could beat the 9ers.....

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I can't think of any team that could beat the 9ers.....

Much less beat them handily...

milkman
11-05-2010, 06:23 AM

What?

cookster50
11-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Did the star decide not to have an editor read that before it was posted. My goodness, that was painful.

Bootlegged
11-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Marty lives about 2 miles from me.

milkman
11-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Marty lives about 2 miles from me.

Are you close enough to see the gleam, man?

Dave Lane
11-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Or bootlegged's sheet?