PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Derrick Johnson extension coming soon?

Mr. Arrowhead
11-05-2010, 11:59 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/YahooSportsNFL

YahooSportsNFL Charles Robinson
An AFC West source tells me a nice contract extension is coming for Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson. He's not going anywhere.

TheGuardian
11-05-2010, 12:01 PM
He's finally started playing up to his draft hype. Good to see as DJ always comes across as a genuinely good guy.

Demonpenz
11-05-2010, 12:02 PM
DJ was the best college linebacker I ever saw. That draft pick is turning out well.

ReynardMuldrake
Yes, please.

Mr. Laz
everybody cross your fingers and hope he isn't just playing for a contract

RedThat
11-05-2010, 12:03 PM

Yeah I hope he isn't like Chambers. Get your big pay and dog it after.

booyaf2
11-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I thought there was some sad story as to why he wasn't living up to his potential and that this would be his last year in any NFL uniform.

cabletech94
11-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I thought there was some sad story as to why he wasn't living up to his potential and that this would be his last year in any NFL uniform.

medical condition?

booyaf2
11-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I "believe" it was BRC that had the info that was being kept secret. The dude is kicking a$$ though, medical condition be damned.

FAX
11-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Prop things to Haley and the tough love. DJ is like a completely different player. Completely different.

FAX

talastan
11-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Put tons of freaking incentitives in so that he will be better inclined not to pull an LJ.

sedated
11-05-2010, 12:16 PM

its easy to be wary of players busting out in their contract years, but last year was also a contract year before the uncapped season hit and restricted FA's got another year added to their deals.

Oregon chief
11-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I hope Flowers is next.

Art Vader
I just wish he would catch some of those gimmes!

Frazod
Works for me. His play has really improved.

Red Beans
I'm all for it. It'll be interesting to see how he responds once it's official.

Mr. Laz
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
its easy to be wary of players busting out in their contract years, but last year was also a contract year before the uncapped season hit and restricted FA's got another year added to their deals.
true ... good point.

everything was a disaster last year though

Direckshun
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Eh.

I think he's playing for a contract.

ModSocks
11-05-2010, 12:24 PM

I don't think so. I think if he were playing for a contract, he would've played for it last year when his contract was up.

His improvement is the real deal.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Have we become so jaded that at the first sign of player improvement we say someone who has always played hard and been a model citizen is merely playing for a contract?

Poppycock, I say.

Demonpenz
11-05-2010, 12:26 PM
It's easier to play better, when you are on the field.

Mr. Laz
11-05-2010, 12:26 PM
I don't think so. I think if he were playing for a contract, he would've played for it last year when his contract was up.

His improvement is the real deal.
let's hope so but remember ... everything was a train wreck last year. Might of been hard for anyone to show up with all the changes and crap going on.

Dumb ass DC last year too

Mr. Laz
11-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Have we become so jaded that at the first sign of player improvement we say someone who has always played hard and been a model citizen is merely playing for a contract?

Poppycock, I say.
My name is Chris Chambers ... and i approve this message.

Demonpenz
11-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Dan Williams

sedated
11-05-2010, 12:42 PM
let's hope so but remember ... everything was a train wreck last year. Might of been hard for anyone to show up with all the changes and crap going on.

Dumb ass DC last year too

yeah, Crennel has had a big impact on a lot of players on D.

Which is great...while he's still here. I'd hate to give a bunch of players tons of cash based on this year, only to have Crennel leave and we go back to a dogshit defense.

FAX
11-05-2010, 12:48 PM
yeah, Crennel has had a big impact on a lot of players on D.

Which is great...while he's still here. I'd hate to give a bunch of players tons of cash based on this year, only to have Crennel leave and we go back to a dogshit defense.

I think Crennel is pretty happy here.

And, I know that thinking is dangerous, but I also think this ... I think that before he and Weis were hired, they probably had a long conversation with the Godfather in which they committed to staying for awhile ... long enough, at least, to right the ship. I can't imagine that Pioli would enter into a deal with those guys that was a "passing ship" kind of thing.

FAX

TheGuardian
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
My name is Chris Chambers ... and i approve this message.

Julius Peppers got paid this offseason too and he's been on a tear. Way better than he was in Carolina.

mdchiefsfan
11-05-2010, 01:58 PM

This is my fear as well

Titty Meat
11-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Hmm he was a bust for awhile but he seemed to have a new focus once he was benched last year.

mdchiefsfan
11-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Hmm he was a bust for awhile but he seemed to have a new focus once he was benched last year.

Money can do increase focus for a year as well. I really hope he continues to improve but this is one good year right before he signs a new contract in comparison to the previous 5 years that he under performed. This line of thought also explains why he was so pressed to be the starter this year. He needed to showcase his talents in order to get paid. But as I said I am with every Chiefs fan hoping that he is just a competitor that feels he should start and has learned that nothing is given in the NFL, only earned.

HotRoute
11-05-2010, 03:10 PM
It's easier to play better, when you are on the field.

and you have a pretty damn good defensive coordinator

Fritz88
11-05-2010, 03:43 PM
I would rather we trade him for a second.

keg in kc
11-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Amazing what a little discipline can do. He's got to be one of the more gifted guys in the league athletically, and playing within the scheme has only emphasized that. He and Belcher could be a really good interior duo for years.

|Zach|
11-05-2010, 03:52 PM

terrible.

Direckshun
11-05-2010, 03:56 PM

I'd take a second for Derrick Johnson.

TRR
11-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Julius Peppers got paid this offseason too and he's been on a tear. Way better than he was in Carolina.

Uh what do you consider a tear? Peppers has 16 tackles and 2 sacks this season. He has been a HUGE disappointment in Chicago this season.

Huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

Marcellus
11-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I have mixed emotions.

My brain tells me DJ could still go back to his inconsistent crappy ways and is more likely to do that than play like he has for the firrt time in his career. Hard to forget 5 years of disappointing play after 7 games (really 6, I have no idea what he was doing against the Texans, he looked pretty bad) of good play.

My heart wants him to continue to play well and get an extension and stay in KC.

googlegoogle
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Marcellus. trust the pioli.

RealSNR
11-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Amazing how last year we all would have bet our cars that he wasn't Pioli's boy

LaChapelle
11-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Getting rid of Benard Pollard pays off yet again

TheGuardian
11-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Uh what do you consider a tear? Peppers has 16 tackles and 2 sacks this season. He has been a HUGE disappointment in Chicago this season.

Huh?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dude stats aren't everything. Which is why so many people here didn't appreciate Tamba for so long. Peppers has been REALLY good in Chicago regardless of stats.

Hootie
11-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Dude stats aren't everything. Which is why so many people here didn't appreciate Tamba for so long. Peppers has been REALLY good in Chicago regardless of stats.

he's fizzled out after a nice start like the rest of the team

BossChief
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
I hope they get a couple of these guys taken care of before the year is over.

I bet that if there is any validity to this, the deal will have a couple roster bonuses built in so that he doesn't revert to his old self.

TheGuardian
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
he's fizzled out after a nice start like the rest of the team

I think the point is, Peppers is/was still playing hard after getting paid.

Some guys do just fine after getting paid. Some guys relax. You never can tell.

TheGuardian
11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
I hope they get a couple of these guys taken care of before the year is over.

I bet that if there is any validity to this, the deal will have a couple roster bonuses built in so that he doesn't revert to his old self.

Hali needs to be locked up next.

WebGem
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Do you guys remember how excited we were when we were able to, and drafted DJ? Good signing if it happens, imo.

Phobia
11-05-2010, 06:49 PM
medical condition?

Yes. He has a rare mental condition which prevents him from closing his fingers around leather covered objects. Damnedest thing.

Demonpenz
11-05-2010, 07:43 PM
there were some games in DJ's tenure that he didn't have good stats or good plays because the game didn't dictate that the plays go to his side or passes go to his side

BossChief
11-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Hold on....isn't Clark Hunt cheap?

Mr. Flopnuts
11-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, I was dead wrong about Chris Chambers so what the fuck do I know? But I have to say, I think DJ either plays because he wants too, or doesn't. He came on at the end of last year. This isn't exactly unchartered territory for him. I'm confident he's playing with passion, and not dollar signs in his eyes.

BossChief
11-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Well, I was dead wrong about Chris Chambers so what the fuck do I know? But I have to say, I think DJ either plays because he wants too, or doesn't. He came on at the end of last year. This isn't exactly unchartered territory for him. I'm confident he's playing with passion, and not dollar signs in his eyes.

I was right there with ya brother.

kysirsoze
11-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I just wish he would catch some of those gimmes!

He's gonna be wearing receiver gloves this week. Let's see if it pays off.

Titty Meat
11-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Hold on....isn't Clark Hunt cheap?

Lowest payroll in the league. Yup.

Thig Lyfe
11-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I'm in favor of this move, as long as they do it right. Don't just dump a bunch of money on his driveway. Direct deposit is a lot more efficient.

Also, I think Flowers and Hali deserve an extension first, but oh well.