PDA

View Full Version : Life How's Business?

Rain Man
11-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Maybe this will get moved to DC, but I'm hoping it'll be seen as a chiefsplanet thing and not a politics thing.

How's business where you work? Is everybody busy and hiring? Are you shuddering under layoffs? Somewhere in the middle? I'm just curious how the economy is doing.

Nzoner
11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Most of the businesses advertising with me at the moment are kicking ass.They are however getting very agressive in their offers.Instead of me trying to type some of the offers I'll let you take a look if you're so inclined by clicking on our website page below.

Click here (http://stjoeads.com/)

Bugeater
11-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Not good, the construction slowdown has everyone killing everyone else for every scrap of work out there. It's so bad I've decided to go back to school at the ripe old age of 42.

And the wife's employer laid some people off earlier this week, luckily she made the cut this time.

ReynardMuldrake
11-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I got very lucky a few months back and got hired on by a local company that is growing like crazy. I know that's way outside the norm though.

Slayer Diablo
11-05-2010, 09:12 PM
WOAH! WOAH! WOAH!

Who just voted to say they're so busy they're adding jobs?

Rain Man
11-05-2010, 09:19 PM
WOAH! WOAH! WOAH!

I should've made this a public poll and then told them to be sure their private message capacity is high.

ReynardMuldrake
11-05-2010, 09:19 PM
WOAH! WOAH! WOAH!

My work has been hiring 5-10 people or so a week every week since I've been there. There are a few companies out there that are still hiring.

kysirsoze
11-05-2010, 09:28 PM
We're hiring occassionally, but we're a very large hotel with great location.

Zebedee DuBois
11-05-2010, 09:30 PM
We are very busy, but not hiring. We went a year w/o raises across the board (who knows about the execs). They laid off a few and everyone has had to pick up the extra duties. Volumes are at early 2008 levels, but over half is going overseas. All our material go into building materials and consumer goods.

Psyko Tek
11-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I have been looking since sept
I am a technician
and in AZ
not seeing a whole lot of my level jobs out there
at least here
been doing this for about 20 years so may be getting "too old" for emplyers

then again I am a the glass is empty type of guy

LaChapelle
11-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Shaun Smith says business is down

MahiMike
11-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Thank God I have a job.

JohninGpt
11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
I sell commercial and residential roofing. Please God, send Tulsa a hail storm.

JohninGpt
11-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Shaun Smith says business is down

If business is up, he's holding on too long.

Slayer Diablo
11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
Minus Zebedee, who is insanely busy but not hiring, it looks like we have a good opportunity to cancel out the jobless with the expanding companies...assuming, of course, we three jobless folks each meet the reqs for separate positions.

BigRedChief
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM
We have $100K+ jobs that we can't find qualified people to fill.

Rain Man
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Minus Zebedee, who is insanely busy but not hiring, it looks like we have a good opportunity to cancel out the jobless with the expanding companies...assuming, of course, we three jobless folks each meet the reqs for separate positions.

The good news is that I think these results are better than a similar poll I did about a year ago. I hope that's a good sign.

Bane
11-05-2010, 11:25 PM
I work in the cement trade on the river so we always slow down during the winter but I haven't been laid off in the 17 years I've been doing this.

mrub4
11-06-2010, 06:45 AM
We're ridiculously busy, but part of it's due to our sister plants being shut down and all the work being funnelled to us. Kind of bittersweet, I guess... job security at the expense of other's jobs. I've been working 20-30 hours of overtime for about a year and a half almost nonstop. It's a nice change of pace from the abbreviated work weeks we had immediately after the crash and before the other plants were shuttered.

I'm always keeping my eyes open for better opportunities, and there's lots of openings around here in manufacturing. We ran a job fair recently and had 400+ people show up and put in applications. Ten showed up to go through the hiring process (interview, drug test, background check), two made it all the way through, one showed up to work. And then he inexplicably climbed up onto and walked across a conveyor leading into a giant paper shredder and was promptly fired on his second day.

It's just kind of bizarre. There's supposed to be record numbers of unemployed out there, but we can't find a person worth a damn and the job websites are full of places hiring around here.

IA_Chiefs_fan
11-06-2010, 07:07 AM
We're headed into our busy season and hoped to be able to hire a lot of people pretty quickly this past month or so. We've hired a few, but not many people want to work right now. So many are content to ride unemployment and assistance benefits as long as they can :shake:

KC Jones
11-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Crazy busy here. We have a very conservative management team who kept us from being exposed to this last bubble and getting over-leveraged. We'd stockpiled cash, and now we're using it to buy up some of our flailing competition and to expand. We're lining up major projects for the next couple of years and hiring. I'd say the overall software development market in Denver has picked up because we just lost a couple of people from my team and I'm seeing a lot more positions posted to mailing lists. Everybody's getting ready to make some moves and get positioned for this next year's growth.

|Zach|
11-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Business is fun.

kc rush
11-06-2010, 10:26 AM
We are insanely busy having added a few new clients to our roster, but we aren't really hiring. Everyone has had to take on extra work, so I'm seeing more people when I go in on the weekend and there are a lot more evening email exchanges.

Unfortunately, we've taken business away from companies in an area I'd like to move, so there will probably be more people looking for jobs there, killing my chances.

alnorth
11-06-2010, 10:30 AM
We're doing well, expanded into a new building, and I think we're still hiring. Our business is recession-proof, one of the last expenses anyone will ever cut is home and auto insurance. At worst it slows down a bit as people decide they will hang onto their old cars or buy new homes and they have no reason to go out and shop for insurance.

AndChiefs
11-06-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm attending school but graduating in December. A few of my classmates have jobs but we still have a lot of us out there looking.

alnorth
11-06-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm attending school but graduating in December. A few of my classmates have jobs but we still have a lot of us out there looking.

good luck. This is one of the worst times to graduate in modern history. One of my younger brothers got an MBA and wound up going back for an advanced degree after some incredible frustration right when the recession hit. Probably working out for him, looks like he'll be a professor in a field that is in demand for more instructors at a lot of universities.

Stewie
11-06-2010, 10:48 AM
We've had an uptick in our business but it's due to international business demand. I think there were six or seven job postings put up last week in our facility, but they're very specific job demands and not many people qualify unless they have a strong aerospace background.

AndChiefs
11-06-2010, 10:55 AM
good luck. This is one of the worst times to graduate in modern history. One of my younger brothers got an MBA and wound up going back for an advanced degree after some incredible frustration right when the recession hit. Probably working out for him, looks like he'll be a professor in a field that is in demand for more instructors at a lot of universities.

Thank you for the well wishes. It seems a little bit better out there than last year so hopefully it continues on that route. I'm glad that it seems to have worked out for your brother.

rageeumr
11-06-2010, 11:00 AM
We have had an upswing in the volume of work. However, as it has been mentioned earlier my industry (construction) is insanely competitive right now, so we're pretty busy doing low-margin projects. And with the market the way it is, we can't gamble on adding staff, so we just have to work more hours if we get more work.

I have a buddy who works as a recruiter for a large healthcare software company in town (Chances are you can guess who) and he has to work his tail off to fill their need for new hires. It's pretty much all entry-level stuff, though.

Rausch
11-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I work at a level 5 prison.

Bid-ness is good...

Slayer Diablo
11-06-2010, 11:06 AM
We have $100K+ jobs that we can't find qualified people to fill.

I'll do it for $30K...spend a little of what you save on showing me the ropes, and put the rest back into the company.