PDA

View Full Version : Football Who's a Franchise QB in the NFL?

BigRedChief
11-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Not going to try to define what is a "franchise" QB? Thats for you to decide. I'm just curious what others think. I think there are only 2 franchise QB's in the NFL. Peyton and Brady.

Some may be a future franchise QB like Ryan or Bradford. A Farve or McNabb type QB who maybe was one and is still playing is another catagory...again not going to define.

JohninGpt
11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Brees, Rivers.

Bugeater
11-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Everyone except Matt Cassel.

BossChief
11-05-2010, 11:15 PM
There can be only one

MATT FUCKING CASSEL

bitches

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2010, 11:21 PM
ROFL Nobody voted for Favre. Shocking.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Everyone except Matt Cassel.

Wouldn't it have been easier to just start a poll asking who is NOT a franchise QB, and have Cassel as the only option?:)

Bane
11-05-2010, 11:22 PM
ROFL Nobody voted for Favre. Shocking.

Yeah I'm too biased.He is I guess but FUCK him!:cuss:

Rain Man
11-05-2010, 11:23 PM
P. Manning, Brady, and maybe Brees. To me, a "franchise quarterback" is a hall of fame-caliber guy, or if not that, a guy who has a sustained run of being a productive and successful leader.

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Bradford looks like he will be. Way too soon to call it yet. Same for Sanchez.

BigRedChief
11-05-2010, 11:24 PM
ROFL Nobody voted for Favre. Shocking.Farve was defintely a franchise QB. Just like us all, he can't hold back father time.

Bugeater
11-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just start a poll asking who is NOT a franchise QB, and have Cassel as the only option?:)
Absolutely. Way to fail BRC.

I am interested to see who pops Cassel's cherry on this one...

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2010, 11:26 PM
ROR voted for Sanchez. I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you...:)

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Farve was defintely a franchise QB. Just like us all, he can't hold back father time.

That's what I mean. He's obviously a FQB, but the hate is so strong right now, no one even wants to acknowledge him in any way, shape, or form.

Time to hang it up, Brahvre.:)

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2010, 11:27 PM
ROR voted for Sanchez. I am shocked. Shocked, I tell you...:)

I did that just to be a fucking cockbag.

BigRedChief
11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I did that just to be a ****ing cockbag.It's the first step to admit your a cockbag.

cdcox
11-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Roethlisberger.

Rodgers needs a couple more years of consistency, but he is playing at that level.

Some young guys have potential.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2010, 11:30 PM
It's the first step to admit your a cockbag.

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-05-2010, 11:33 PM
It's the first step to admit your a cockbag.

Hey; whoever brought all this raider trash to the planet is a fucking cockbag too!

Here's a thread:

"Planeteers who trolled Raider Boards; Step Forth and Be Bludgeoned"

Bane
11-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Hey; whoever brought all this raider trash to the planet is a ****ing cockbag too!

Here's a thread:

"Planeteers who trolled Raider Boards; Step Forth and Be Bludgeoned"

Shit it's been fun.Watching them try to hate on us and act like it's an actual rivalry.....ROFLROFLROFL Good times.

Bugeater
11-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Speaking of bludgeoning, we'll need Mr Deeznutz to report to this thread.

DeezNutz
11-05-2010, 11:39 PM
He's 5-2 with less turnovers than Brady, Manning, Montana, and Obama. What the **** else do you want, people?

Quit bitching; you're not GMs.

BIG_DADDY
11-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Peyton is THE franchise QB.

Bane
11-05-2010, 11:41 PM
He's 5-2 with less turnovers than Brady, Manning, Montana, and Obama. What the **** else do you want, people?

Quit bitching; you're not GMs.

ROFLROFL

kysirsoze
11-05-2010, 11:44 PM
How in the fuck is Favre NOT a franchise QB?? He is a future HOFer who stayed with one team for the vast majority of his career. I know he's easy to hate on but GMAFB

kysirsoze
11-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Peyton is THE franchise QB.

I agree he is by far the best current example.

DeezNutz
11-05-2010, 11:47 PM
How in the **** is Favre NOT a franchise QB?? He is a future HOFer who stayed with one team for the vast majority of his career. I know he's easy to hate on but GMAFB

Because it's 11/06/20motherfucking10.

MahiMike
11-05-2010, 11:48 PM
All the above except for Favre.

BigRedChief
11-05-2010, 11:49 PM
I agree he is by far the best current example.Disagree. Brady has everything Manning has and 2 more SB rings.

MahiMike
11-05-2010, 11:49 PM
How in the **** is Favre NOT a franchise QB?? He is a future HOFer who stayed with one team for the vast majority of his career. I know he's easy to hate on but GMAFB

He's actually the only one on the list that isn't because next year he's the only one not starting for his team.

noa
11-05-2010, 11:52 PM

I was looking at it from present day. I certainly wouldn't want him as my franchise QB right now. But a young Brett Favre, sure.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2010, 11:54 PM
Franchise QB = Someone who can lead your franchise for ~10 years and potentially take you to a SB.

Manning
Manning
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Rodgers
Ryan

And not on your list:

Romo
Schaub

Hammock Parties
11-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Elite quarterbacks are more rare.

Elite quarterbacks:

Manning
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rivers

kysirsoze
11-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Because it's 11/06/20mother****ing10.

I was looking at it from present day. I certainly wouldn't want him as my franchise QB right now. But a young Brett Favre, sure.

To me franchise QB is a term that is defined by their career, not current status.

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Franchise QB = Someone who can lead your franchise for ~10 years and potentially take you to a SB.

Manning
Manning
Brady
Brees
Roethlisberger
Rivers
Rodgers
Ryan

And not on your list:

Romo
SchaubRomo sucks. No way is he a franchise QB.

noa
11-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Disagree on Romo

kysirsoze
11-05-2010, 11:58 PM
Disagree. Brady has everything Manning has and 2 more SB rings.

2 more rings. Less ability. That's all I'll say, though. I really don't want to turn this into another Brady vs. Manning thread.

Hammock Parties
11-05-2010, 11:58 PM
The only reason you hate Romo is because he plays for the Cowboys.

He's a damn good QB.

He averages 2 TDs per game for his career. That's HOF stuff. And he has gotten better every year. He'll win a SB before it's all said and done.

I would take him on the Chiefs tomorrow, busted shoulder and all.

BigMeatballDave
11-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Favre was a franchise QB.

kysirsoze
11-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Favre was a franchise QB.

It's just a matter of definition, then. To me it's once was, always is.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 12:00 AM

He's a damn good QB.BS I've always hate Denver and Elway is one of the best all time.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 12:01 AM
It's just a matter of definition, then. To me it's once was, always is.Well, he's on his 3rd Franchise :D

noa
11-06-2010, 12:02 AM

He's a damn good QB.

He averages 2 TDs per game for his career. That's HOF stuff.

I don't hate him, and I know he puts up good stats. But I've just watched him choke in the playoffs enough to make me think he'll probably never take a team to the super bowl. I really don't give a shit about hating the cowboys.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 12:03 AM

He's a damn good QB.

He averages 2 TDs per game for his career. That's HOF stuff. And he has gotten better every year. He'll win a SB before it's all said and done.

I would take him on the Chiefs tomorrow, busted shoulder and all.Overrated

Hammock Parties
11-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Manning was considered a playoff choker for a long time.

Romo has only been starting four years, plus 6 games this year. How long did it take Manning? 9 years?

Tell you what, the Chiefs won't get a better QB out of the draft most likely. I'd be thrilled if the Cowboys gave up on Romo and he landed in our lap.

Thig Lyfe
11-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Tyler Thigpen

Smed1065
11-06-2010, 12:45 AM
I did that just to be a fucking cockbag.

At least you admit it now.....

ROFL

Smed1065
11-06-2010, 12:50 AM

He's a damn good QB.

I would take him on the Chiefs tomorrow, busted shoulder and all.

Hes a QB but a loser in the games that matter.

Oh you picking who this year that might keep up with Your last wr pick.

jjchieffan
11-06-2010, 02:30 AM
Fail...Where is the option to votr for Kyle Orton??/KnowShit

Chiefs=Champions
11-06-2010, 02:41 AM
I voted for the likes of Freeman, Bradford, Sanchez, Ryan and Flacco as i think theyve shown the ability to become franchise quarterbacks. Though im not sure they are there yet...

MTG#10
11-06-2010, 08:10 AM
For some reason Ive always thought of a franchise QB to be someone your team drafted...

Deberg_1990
11-06-2010, 08:12 AM
Wheres the Tim Tebow option?

KCBOSS1
11-06-2010, 08:35 AM
Well, regardless of how you define it..... I define it as a guy who is likely to commit totally to a franchise and that franchise back to him to the end, although I really don't know if any franchise is committed to anybody to have them retire as the franchise. The Franchise label is getting harder and harder to define. There are really only three guys that I would say qualify in my mind in that catagory. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady & Drew Breese. As much as I like Brett Favre, I know that Green Bay wanted to do that with him and he was just too wishy washy

Rausch
11-06-2010, 08:37 AM
I think it's way too early to tell on Bradford, Sanchise, or Freman...

KCBOSS1
11-06-2010, 08:39 AM
For some reason Ive always thought of a franchise QB to be someone your team drafted...

I kinda thought that too. But after the New Orleans/Drew Breese story, I see that differently. Those two took huge risks on each other. He'll be there til the end. That city would burn the Super Dome down if they traded or released him.

Rausch
11-06-2010, 08:40 AM
As much as I like Brett Favre, I know that Green Bay wanted to do that with him and he was just too wishy washy

He was their franchise guy and they dumped him (see also: Joe Montana to KC...)

Rausch
11-06-2010, 08:42 AM
I kinda thought that too. But after the New Orleans/Drew Breese story, I see that differently.

Favre?

Moon?

Steve Young?

Schaub?

Gannon (for the Faide.)

KCBOSS1
11-06-2010, 08:47 AM
He was their franchise guy and they dumped him (see also: Joe Montana to KC...)

Well, I have to admit. I kinda took Favre's side in most of that against most public opinion, but I can also understand GB's perspective. About what, 3 years running, he kept them in total limbo wondering if he was going to retire or not. I don't know if he left them any options. If I was a head coach/general manager, that would get old to me too. But then again, I'm the same age as Brett Favre, I can't imagine playing contact football after about 35.

JD10367
11-06-2010, 08:55 AM
I only voted for Manning (The Real) and Brady. They: a.) are first-ballot HOFers, b.) have won Super Bowls, and c.) have proved they can make chicken salad with chickenshit. Manning is the more obviously-talented one, but he's had more "name" players along for the ride; Brady's made do with a lot more no-names. But both have shown that they elevate the level of play of the players around them, they can win multiple ways in multiple scenarios in multiple years, and are probably the only two guys who you could put on a team of random-picked 52 current NFL players and they'd probably go 9-7 at worst.

KCBOSS1
11-06-2010, 09:00 AM
Joe Montana to KC was not the same deal at all. Montana wasn't retiring every year, then change his mind and show up after two pre-season games every year. Montana did not at all taint his image in San Francisco by coming to the Chiefs. Nobody blamed him. SF loyalty remained with him. Everybody knew when he went into the Hall, he would go in as a Niner with a tip of the hat to KC. Totally different situation than Brett and Green Bay.

DeezNutz
11-06-2010, 09:12 AM
To me franchise QB is a term that is defined by their career, not current status.

I can understand this approach to the question. Like others, I was answering in terms of "at this moment."

Rausch
11-06-2010, 09:18 AM
Well, I have to admit. I kinda took Favre's side in most of that against most public opinion, but I can also understand GB's perspective. About what, 3 years running, he kept them in total limbo wondering if he was going to retire or not. I don't know if he left them any options. If I was a head coach/general manager, that would get old to me too. But then again, I'm the same age as Brett Favre, I can't imagine playing contact football after about 35.

I'm not judging right or wrong just pointing out how the situations were very similar...

Al Bundy
11-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Good to see plenty of votes for Freeman.

LaChapelle
11-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Franchise QB is a myth

Rausch
11-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Franchise QB is a myth

Just like the Lombardi...

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 11:07 AM
For some reason Ive always thought of a franchise QB to be someone your team drafted...Typically, but not necessarily.

Rausch
11-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Franchise QB is a myth

Like KC winning the AFCC game...

Pioli Zombie
11-06-2010, 11:22 AM
How in Gods name were there people who didn't think Drew Brees, Philip Rivers,Ben Roethlisburger, and Eli Manning were franchise qbs??
You don't have to be Joe frickin Montana to be a franchise qb.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 11:27 AM
How in Gods name were there people who didn't think Drew Brees, Philip Rivers,Ben Roethlisburger, and Eli Manning were franchise qbs??
You don't have to be Joe frickin Montana to be a franchise qb.Yep. And how does Brady have fewer votes than Manning? This isnt a fucking popularity contest, or who is better. They should be equal.

McWickedson
11-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Like KC winning the AFCC game...

:D

Rasputin
11-06-2010, 11:36 AM
To me a franchise QB is a guy who you look forward to watching on game day, that you can trust to run an effective offense and show leadership. The guy is the future hopes of winning a Super Bowl & or wins it, but continues to grow and make the team better for years. Not 2 or 3 years but more than 6 years. A franchise QB is a guy we develop our selves and not a retread or reject of other teams. If they believed in the guy they wouldn't of got rid of him.

Rams Fan
11-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Well, he's on his 3rd Franchise :D

His 4th actually...

Hootie
11-06-2010, 12:24 PM
I voted for all of those except for Flacco, Freeman, Sanchez and Cassel.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Jesus. I must've been pretty drunk last night. I don't even remember voting in this poll.

Hootie
11-06-2010, 12:28 PM
Disagree. Brady has everything Manning has and 2 more SB rings.

It's not even a debate anymore...for anyone.

Manning > Brady

and everyone knows it

Peyton Manning still puts up the same numbers with scrubs around him...the whole Tom Brady never had any weapons shit is completely out the window...as Manning can mix and match anybody on that team and still put up the same numbers year in and year out...

Dude throws to Blair White and Jacob Tamme and doesn't miss a beat...

When it's all said and done, he'll have the records and be considered the greatest ever. No doubt about it.

Rams Fan
11-06-2010, 12:29 PM
Does Cutler count as a franchise QB anymore? When he was with the Broncos, Broncos fans thought he was the next Elway. Since he's been with the Bears, he hasn't lived up to that hype.

Hootie
11-06-2010, 12:30 PM
and are probably the only two guys who you could put on a team of random-picked 52 current NFL players and they'd probably go 9-7 at worst.

Disagree.

I don't think Tom Brady would have done jack shit without Bill Belichick...

He tripped into the perfect scenario...early success gave him a swagger that developed him into a superstar...

Manning would have been a superstar no matter what, anywhere...with anyone.

Manning could have been on the Chiefs or Rams the last few years when both teams were abysmal and he would have made them both playoff teams and Super Bowl contenders, by default...

Brady doesn't do that.

I'm not saying Brady isn't great...he's a hall of famer...no doubt.

But he's not in the same class as Peyton Manning.

Hootie
11-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Does Cutler count as a franchise QB anymore? When he was with the Broncos, Broncos fans thought he was the next Elway. Since he's been with the Bears, he hasn't lived up to that hype.

He's an idiot.

He's like Jeff George version 2.0...

he makes too many dumbass decisions and turns the ball over in the red zone way too much...

Martz doesn't help...what a terrible coordinator he ended up being...can't adjust to anything...if he doesn't have an Orlando Pace/Willie Roaf type anchor...he can't run an offense...kills his QBs...

Orton > Cutler

The Broncos could have raped that deal had they not butchered all of their draft picks and wasted another one on Tim freaking Tebow.

Rams Fan
11-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Manning could have been on the Chiefs or Rams the last few years when both teams were abysmal and he would have made them both playoff teams and Super Bowl contenders, by default...

Manning would not have taken the Rams to the playoffs. Their Defense was horrible the past 3 years, aging WRs and a horrible O-Line.

ChiefsCountry
11-06-2010, 12:54 PM
Roethlisberger is so underrated on this board its comical. The dude is most clutch QB in the league, has two Lombardi's and is young enough for more.

Pioli Zombie
11-06-2010, 02:23 PM
I agree totally with ChiefsCountry. Big Ben is the best clutch qb in football over the last 5 years.

Mr. Laz
11-06-2010, 02:33 PM
too early to say on flacco,Bradford,Sanchez,Freeman

Favre USED to be

Eli Manning is ... just not a great one

DaneMcCloud
11-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Peyton, Eli, Brady, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Brees, Ryan, Rodgers and Bradford were my franchise picks.

Favre WAS a FQB, but that was years ago.

Flacco hasn't proven to me that he's a "Franchise" guy. He's been ascending each year but he's not what I'd call franchise and he's hardly elite.

Freeman has been very impressive as has Stafford. But Stafford needs to stay healthy and Freeman just needs to continue to ascend. I think it's very likely both will reach "Franchise QB" status if they can stay healthy.

Sanchez has not been a FQB to date. He's 23 years old, so there's plenty of time left for his career to ascend but so far, he's been a younger version of Cassel.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Roethlisberger is so underrated on this board its comical. The dude is most clutch QB in the league, has two Lombardi's and is young enough for more.Yep. However he didnt really earn the 1st one.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Disagree.

I don't think Tom Brady would have done jack shit without Bill Belichick...

He tripped into the perfect scenario...early success gave him a swagger that developed him into a superstar...

Manning would have been a superstar no matter what, anywhere...with anyone.

Brady doesn't do that.

I'm not saying Brady isn't great...he's a hall of famer...no doubt.

But he's not in the same class as Peyton Manning.Yes, we know you hate Brady and wanna have Manning's babies.

BigMeatballDave
11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
His 4th actually...Yeah, I forgot about the Falcons.