PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs ***Official midseason perspective thread***

Hammock Parties
11-07-2010, 07:23 PM
1. We're in first place with an easy schedule. The Raiders and Chargers are nipping at our heels, but they have tougher roads to hoe. We're still in the driver's seat and we control our own destiny.

2. Matt Cassel, while he hasn't been great, has 12 TD and 4 INT. No one, not one single person on this board, expected him to post those kinds of numbers by midseason. I'm not jumping on his bandwagon or anything, but he's improved. It's not completely unreasonable to expect he might continue to improve.

3. Our run defense is for real. Other than one run by Darren McFadden today, we stuffed the Raiders' running game. This will serve us well as the season gets long in the tooth.

4. Tamba Hali is an absolute fucking monster. Eight sacks and eleventy billion holds not called. Not one single person on this board expected he would be on pace for 16 sacks this year.

5. Todd Haley has proven a lot after a disastrous first year as a head coach. There's an argument to be made he's the best coach in the division. We're lucky to have him after years of running through retreads like Gunther, Dick and Herm.

WE'RE IN FIRST PLACE FUCKERS, KEEP YOUR CHINS UP!

LaChapelle
11-07-2010, 07:31 PM
The Raiders were the better team today

tmax63
11-07-2010, 07:32 PM
If you would have offered a record of 5-3 at the half way point I would of taken it. The Chiefs had their foot on the Raiders throat in the 1st half and let some points get away. I think they learn from it.

chris
11-07-2010, 07:33 PM

No, they were not.

chris
11-07-2010, 07:35 PM
1. We're in first place with an easy schedule. The Raiders and Chargers are nipping at our heels, but they have tougher roads to hoe. We're still in the driver's seat and we control our own destiny.

2. Matt Cassel, while he hasn't been great, has 12 TD and 4 INT. No one, not one single person on this board, expected him to post those kinds of numbers by midseason. I'm not jumping on his bandwagon or anything, but he's improved. It's not completely unreasonable to expect he might continue to improve.

3. Our run defense is for real. Other than one run by Darren McFadden today, we stuffed the Raiders' running game. This will serve us well as the season gets long in the tooth.

4. Tamba Hali is an absolute ****ing monster. Eight sacks and eleventy billion holds not called. Not one single person on this board expected he would be on pace for 16 sacks this year.

5. Todd Haley has proven a lot after a disastrous first year as a head coach. There's an argument to be made he's the best coach in the division. We're lucky to have him after years of running through retreads like Gunther, Dick and Herm.

WE'RE IN FIRST PLACE ****ERS, KEEP YOUR CHINS UP!

Agree, with all you've written.

We lack the ability to put Teams away. Both this and Houston(?) games, one more 1st down and we win.

All in all, great progress.

LaChapelle
11-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes
Yes they were

chris
11-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes
Yes they were

You are right.

They had more points. That is the only measurement that counts.

Virtually everything else, you are wrong. But what does it matter?

We lost to an inferior team that we allowed to score more points.

KC_Connection
11-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Not sure how anybody who watched that game could say that.

chokeartist
11-07-2010, 08:00 PM
hi! judging by my post count im new here. Cant just watch the chiefs blow a huge game (to the raiders of all else) without some friendly BB retort.

1. We have a lot of division games left to play. Chargers are finally gaining some steam and the raiders right now on paper look hot. Denver's Orton has the chance to make quick work of our secondary and future matchups against a down and out broncos should not be easily dismissed. P.S. we were the only losing AFC west team this week.

2. Cassel's stats were boasting 100 straight passes with no INTs - This isnt a hard thing to do when the majority of those throws are uncatchable. Cassel picks his target before the ball is ever snapped and he goes with it whether the man is open or not, and to hell with the open slant routes that can get you 3rd down conversions all day long (notice that 3rd down play on 3 and out in OT?). Hes panicky, hes not very well composed and caves under pressure like a nerd in gym class.

3. Our D is definitely for real. If only they could hold onto all those broken up pass plays thrown right at them.

4. agreed.

5. Todd Haley comes off to me as a complete douche - which would be fine if it won a lot of ball games, but lets face it when he gambles and loses (which is a hell of a lot more often than not) - he loses big. No FG's on 4th and 2? Game opening onsides kick against the colts on the road? Fake punt run on 4th and 6? Lets not forget the down field plays on crucial, game sealing 3rd and shorts, but that ire is reserved perhaps for Charlie Weis.

Pioli Zombie
11-07-2010, 08:00 PM
This was the year to shoot for 8-8 with next year being the "contending year". Them being 5-3 a year after having lost their 28th game out of 30 is tremendous. Offensive line, running game, and defense are way beyond what anyone had a right to hope for. Cassel sucks. A qb needs to be drafted and a veteran qb signed and receivers need to be drafted and signed. today was a hard loss but there is a lot to be excited about.

LaChapelle
11-07-2010, 08:02 PM
With the turnovers and penalties against the Raiders
and still manage to lose that's how
the # of 1st and 5 were crazy

Buehler445
11-07-2010, 08:12 PM

4. Tamba Hali is an absolute fucking monster. Eight sacks and eleventy billion holds not called. Not one single person on this board expected he would be on pace for 16 sacks this year.

WE'RE IN FIRST PLACE FUCKERS, KEEP YOUR CHINS UP!

All of this is true. With Cassel though, better than bad does not equal good. However, they're good enough now that when they choke games away, they LOSE something. It's no longer just Herm being a fucking retard. They are playing for something and shit the bed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
11-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Look, I was at the gym late and didn't get in until the 4th. If the 4th is a microcosm of this game, then yes; the stupid, damned, trolls can die in a fire-Raiders WERE the better team today.

BossChief
11-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Before the year started, most here said that 7-9 / 8-8 was the point where we could say "thats progress"...well at the halfway point we have 5 wins.

If Bowe catches the game winner, there would be more than one thread proclaiming how Cassel came through when we needed him to after his laser beam TD pass to Bowe and then the game clinching first down pass that Bowe let go right through his mittens and game the Faiders the chance to do what they did.

I may not have said Hali could get 16 sacks, but I said over and over that if we got a pass rush presence across from him and a push up the middle, he could be a 12-15 sack player. Glenn and Shaun are getting that push and Gilberry/Studebaker are getting that push across from him.

I cant wait till next week and he gets to RAPE THE SHIT OUT OF CLADY AGAIN!!

Rain Man
11-07-2010, 09:17 PM
My mid-season perspective is this:

1. Charles needs more carries, though Jones is a fine change-of-pace back who can get 40% of the carries.

2. On key third downs, Weis consistently goes to somebody "they won't expect". Castille carrying on third down, pass to Pope on third down. That strategy doesn't seem to work very well, and I'm hoping at some point he'll start using our more consistent producers like Charles and Moeaki.

3. The running game is far stronger than any of us expected.

4. Cassel started even worse than our lowest expectations, but is progressing every week, albeit slowly. Hopefully this will continue to season's end.

5. Our WRs are even worse than our lowest expectations, and I don't see improvement.

6. Moeaki is the real deal, and may be our best 2010 draft pick when all is said and done.

7. Our o-line has dramatically improved to average, maybe even above average in the running game.

8. Our kicking and punting game is officially proven.

9. Our kick/punt coverage is pretty good, but we still haven't solved the return blocking game.

10. Our defensive backfield is fine, but doesn't make the INTs that I would've hoped for. McGraw is better than people give him credit for.

11. Belcher is a real find as a run-stopper. He's not getting enough credit for the defensive turnaround.

12. DJ is officially productive now, which is a win of sorts.

13. Vrabel may be a fine leader, and he's savvy, but he's lost too many steps.

14. Hali has blossomed into a legitimate pass rusher, but he's our only one. We need another pass rusher in the draft next year.

15. The D-line is officially good now, and we have a nice variety of talent.

Bane
11-07-2010, 09:26 PM
This was a good loss IMO (knowMo) and will help us next week to mature and bypass the Donks at Pile High.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-07-2010, 09:27 PM

No, they were not.

Yes
Yes they were

You are right.

They had more points. That is the only measurement that counts.

Virtually everything else, you are wrong. But what does it matter?

We lost to an inferior team that we allowed to score more points.

Not sure how anybody who watched that game could say that.

We got our shit pushed in the entire 2nd half of the game today. A fucked up, bullshit, turnover is the ONLY reason we were able to get the go ahead TD. The better team won. I don't like it, you don't like it, Todd Haley doesn't like it, but the only thing anyone can do about it is hope those boys put the work in to change that in time for the season finale, and win their games in the mean time. It's not like we got cheated, or fucked ourselves. The refs damn near gave us that game. Had we won, we would've been lucky as fuck.

Sorry. I know that's not popular, but it's the truth.

Mr. Arrowhead
11-07-2010, 09:27 PM
I feel like the better team lost today which sometimes happens
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefsfan1963
11-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsfan1963 View Post
If they could have put away the Texans and Colts earlier this season then the media may be giving Chiefs their due, but they have another opportunity this Sunday against the Raiders. This is game I don't expect the Chiefs to win, but if they do then this will be huge for the team and I think you'll get some props from the media analysts. Beating Oakland @ Oakland will be a big statement. Oakland is playing real well as of late and they seem to be on a roll. For Chiefs to stop their momentum in their stadium will surely show that they have turned the corner and could pave the way to getting into the playoffs for the first time since 2007. Looking forward to watching them on Sunday.

I hate being right. Anyway we are 5-3. A lot better than anyone expected. We still have a shot to go 5-3 the rest of the way, and make the playoffs. We are not a Super Bowl team. We are what we are which is an up and coming team that needs another off season of good free agency moves and another great draft. We are young and full of potential. We are a lot better off than when Herm and CP were running things.

Thig Lyfe
11-07-2010, 10:01 PM
1. Cassel sucks.

2. The playcalling is confusing sometimes. But it's hard to call plays when your quarterback sucks.

3. I love Charles, Moeaki, McCluster, Flowers, Hali, DJ, Berry,and all the other great young players. Love 'em. I wish Cassel would stop wasting their efforts.

4. Bowe is having a good year despite a few tough drops and having Cassel at QB.

5. Cassel sucks.